PDA

View Full Version : Smokers anonymous!

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Are there any former smokers here?

I quite one year ago (Jan 27, 2002).

I told myself that I had to do it for my daughter (who was born on Jan 27, 2002), that I had to do it for my health, that I had to do it for my Grandmother (who died from emphysema and smoked until it killed her), that I had to do it for my mother who continues to smoke despite her emphysema, that I had to do it to be a role model for my soldiers, that I just had to do it.

A year later I look back and I am soooo glad that I have quite, I am no longer tied to my cigarettes, I notice how bad smokers smell, food tastes better, I feel healthier, my run time has improved I'm just happier all around.

The down side is, I still get urges, the worst was back in October when I almost fell off the wagon. I was seriously closer to smoking at that point than I had been since the first day. I want to thank everyone here for posting words of encouragement back then, it helped to have everyones support.

I told myself that if I could make it through the first year I would be set, there was no way that I would ever go back to smoking. Well, it has been a year now, and I still get urges. But I feel confident that I will not go back to smoking.

If there are any other former smokers who would like to post their story please feel free to do so. If there are any smokers here who want to quite let us know if we can help.

***Disclaimer*** I am not the type to bash smokers now that I have quite. I never liked those "preachy ex-smokers" with their holier than thou attitude. So please don't go bashing me. ;) I fully support a persons right to smoke, it's your life and you can do what you want to with it. My post was not meant to offend smokers, I am simply celebrating a personal milestone.

Fulit
02-01-2003, 08:38 PM
My story is boring. I decided to quit about 8 years ago, and haven't touched one since. And that's good, since I asked a friend how much they cost the other day, and I just laughed when he told me. I remember when a pack was a little over a dollar.

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 08:55 PM
WOW, how long did you smoke before you quite?

I was a smoker for 9 years, I also chewed tobacco off and on and smoked the occasional cigar. I was into tobacco big time. I enjoyed it and probably still would. I didn't quite because I didn't enjoy it I quite because it was the right thing for me to do.

Some people can quite just like that, walk away and never look back, it's been a lot tougher for me. I was raised around smokers, I started smoking at 18 and quite at 27. Smoking was a part of my life in one form or another all of my life. Now it's just, not. It still feel a bit odd to think of myself as a non-smoker.

Fulit
02-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
WOW, how long did you smoke before you quite?

Only about 4 or 5 years. I actually started around 12, cause back then you could run into those places with the cigarette machines and pump in a few quarters, pull the knob, and run before anyone was the wiser. ;)

EricRG
02-02-2003, 12:32 PM
I quit about 10 years ago, myself. And I found that I DID become one of those holier-than-thou ex-smokers...I had to come to hate ALL aspects of smoking in order to quit and leave it behind for good. Now I make coughing/choking sounds when I walk through someones smoke aura. SK, yeah, let people do what they want to their OWN bodies, but does it make sense to allow them to do that in PUBLIC where it DOES, in fact, affect other people's health?

Porcelina
02-02-2003, 08:31 PM
[i] SK, yeah, let people do what they want to their OWN bodies, but does it make sense to allow them to do that in PUBLIC where it DOES, in fact, affect other people's health? [/B]

alright, alright..... i admit, i'm a smoker :p

luckily enough, i'm a woman, so i know i'll be quitting as soon as i have *any* plans within a couple of years time to have children... so i have a good reason and a good excuse... but until then, i'm enjoying it to no end!! :D

anyhow, eric, just wanted to say, even though i'm a smoker, it bothers me as well when people smoke in a closed environment.. i have a friend who's boss smokes in the office, and i can only imagine how disgusting that must be... however, my boyfriend also encountered someone on the street who seemed to have a cow (heehee) that he was smoking OUTSIDE!! and THAT i think is silly... considering it was downtown, and the pollution and smog and health factors resulting from cars would have been ten times more harmful that a cigarette...

as for bars/restaurants... i'm a little divided... here in toronto, they've passed a law forbidding smoking in all restaurants... you can still smoke in bars for one more precious year,and then THAT'S gone,too....

as a holistic nutrionist, and mostly a health freak (yes, it's true), i do think people have a right to be risk-free and tobacco-free... however, i don't see the harm in restaurants/bars either
1) having a designated smoking room which is ventilated separately from the main room
or
2) having bars/restaurants being able to designate themselves either smoke free or smoke full!! and customers can choose which to go to.....

sorry for rambling.... but i loooooove smoking :D so i'm opinionated!

p.s.---i'll start a new thread about this, if this starts a huge off-topic ramble... *smiles*

sith_killer_99
02-03-2003, 12:05 AM
I believe:

1. Office buildings should be smoke free. (currently all government buildings are)
2. A restraunt, bar, etc. should have the right to decide if they want to be smoke free or not.
3. Telling people they can't smoke outside is insane.
4. Telling people they can't smoke in their cars is insane, even if they are on public roads.
5. Smoking around your kids is insane, though not illegal, nor should it be.

I believe in common sense no smoking areas.

I believe that telling a restraunt owner or a bar owner that they can't allow smoking in their establishment is a violation of the owners Constitutional rights.

I believe that these same owners should write letters to the ACLU or any other organization that will support them and act to get these rediculous laws repealed.

I also believe that the "Truth" campaign is often (though not always) full of it.

I believe that it is insanity that the US Government subsidizes Tobacco Farmers and then sues the Tobacco Industry.

I believe the Gore family made their fortune in Tobacco and li'l Al attacked the Tobacco Industry.:rolleyes:

I believe...

The Overlord Returns
02-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by EricRG
I quit about 10 years ago, myself. And I found that I DID become one of those holier-than-thou ex-smokers...I had to come to hate ALL aspects of smoking in order to quit and leave it behind for good. Now I make coughing/choking sounds when I walk through someones smoke aura. SK, yeah, let people do what they want to their OWN bodies, but does it make sense to allow them to do that in PUBLIC where it DOES, in fact, affect other people's health?

Question Eric, do you also hack and cough and splutter every time a car drives by you? Or every time you walk by an industrial complex billowing out toxic bile into the air? Or, for that matter, when you go outside in general? Because, I can guarantee those examples are causing you greater health damage than someone NEAR you who's smoking a cigarette.......

Choose your battles people....

robman71
02-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Wow this is just what I needed, I quit just 3 weeks ago and have been struggling all the way through it. I have not bought a pack but have had one or two since then. :( Did any of you use the patch, I tried but found out that is was raising my heart rate to an unhealty level so I stopped using it. Any help with coping the cravings would be great.

BTW I agree with Sithkiller99 about the "holier than thou" ex-smokers, I find nothing more offensive.

Jedi Clint
02-03-2003, 04:05 PM
I quit smoking cigs about 7 years ago. I'm not going to go into too much detail about how I quit. I did more or less just stop one day. I got sick of burn holes in clothes, furniture, and bedding. I got tired of paying outrageous taxes under the guise that smokers were a burden on society and they should be made to pay for that burden. Smokers didn't benefit from any tax increase they passed. They just lost a bit more of their cash every time they bought the product. I also did it to be in better health. But...........if Camel Lights were available in smaller dosages I might have one on occasion :eek: :evil: :D

sith_killer_99
02-03-2003, 05:50 PM
robman, hang in there. I did use the patch as well as something called a nicopop. It was a lemon flavored lolipop with nicotine in it. It really helped with the cravings for the first 3-4 weeks. Unfortunatly it was only on trial for FDA approval, and the FDA did not approve them.:(

However, there are these new, FDA approved nicotine lozengers that are supposed to be kinda like the same thing.

BTW, I didn't pay for any of my treatments (patches and nicopops) the Army is so strongly opposed to smoking that they pay for all the supplies to get "clean and sober".

Jedi Master Silas
02-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Way to go Sith Killer. I quit December 31 2001. I just past my one year anniversary also. I dont crave cancer sticks at all....as a matter of fact I hate being around anyone who smokes because they smell. I dont think you realize that until you quit..so all you smokers who read this dont get p'ved. It's true you just dont know it.

EricRG
02-04-2003, 06:35 AM
What you do to your own body is a reflection of how you treat the Earth (in my experience.) I'm SO SICK of seeing cigarette butts flying out of open car windows. I've said for some time now...people who smoke should be made to EAT the butts. That's right, eat the butts!

The Overlord Returns
02-04-2003, 08:39 AM
What you do to your own body is a reflection of how you treat the Earth (in my experience.) I'm SO SICK of seeing cigarette butts flying out of open car windows. I've said for some time now...people who smoke should be made to EAT the butts. That's right, eat the butts!

Did you choose not to answer my question? Or did you miss it? Do you think everyone who drives a car should be made to suck at the tail pipe while the car is running?

robman71
02-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice SK, it is great to have someone offer a positive view on quitting instead of the old "smokers are dirty" routine. It is quite refreshing.:D

sith_killer_99
02-04-2003, 11:09 AM
JMS, that's great. Congratulations, I know what a big mark that 1 year can be. It really feels like quite a milestone.:D

Eric, I used to field strip all of my cigarettes. That means I would knock the cherry off and put the butt in my pocket. Just outta curiosity, how many butts did you throw down when you smoked?

Eat them? No, but they should have to police them up in a parking lot some time.:) And before anyone asks, yes I have had to police up cigarette butts from parking lots, sidewalks, driveways, parks, lawns, etc. that's why I used to field strip all of my cigarettes. I have a real understanding of the garbage smokers can leave behind.

robman, trust me, quiting will make you feel so much better. But beware, overeating, lack of energy, the fat side are they. Once you start down the fat path, consume food you will. LOL (sorry I just couldn't resist) You may or may not experience this problem. I recommend a good, light workout program for quiters (hehe no pun intended).

When I quite smoking the "Health and Wellness Center" offered classes on healthier eating habits and tips to help quiters not gain weight.

I hope that didn't come across as "preachy" or "you need to workout and take care of yourself", I just know that weight gain can be a big concren when giving up tobacco.

EricRG
02-04-2003, 11:10 AM
overlord,

Sure, suck the pipe, if you like. I personally, do not have a car. So I'll do no such suckling of pipes.

Cars are pretty well entrenched in society as it is. I don't think I need to spout how oil/gasoline-based cars are ridiculous, etc. This is more our politcian's faults than society at large. ("Yes, but who elected your politicians..." etc. etc.)

And yes, I am made sick to my stomach when I see a factory belching smoke or a car in disrepair belching smoke everywhere. But these things aren't the topic of the thread...

Sk, at the age of 20 when I quit...yes I did in fact throw down some butts. And I should have been made to eat them!!!

sith_killer_99
02-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Sure, suck the pipe, if you like.

LOL:D

ROTFL:D :D :D

That was too funny.

Not directed at you Overloard, I just read it and busted out laughing. That was way too funny.

hehehehe:D

The Overlord Returns
02-04-2003, 11:27 AM
overlord,

Sure, suck the pipe, if you like. I personally, do not have a car. So I'll do no such suckling of pipes.

Cars are pretty well entrenched in society as it is. I don't think I need to spout how oil/gasoline-based cars are ridiculous, etc. This is more our politcian's faults than society at large. ("Yes, but who elected your politicians..." etc. etc.)

And yes, I am made sick to my stomach when I see a factory belching smoke or a car in disrepair belching smoke everywhere. But these things aren't the topic of the thread...

Sk, at the age of 20 when I quit...yes I did in fact throw down some butts. And I should have been made to eat them!!!

Don't own a car, myself. I also don't appreciate sitting in the SMOKING SECTION of a restaurant/ bar, and having a nonsmoker sit down beside me and tell me to butt out, or complain in general.

So, do you walk up to the factory owners and hack and cough in their face? or do you harrass drivers for polluting your air?

I think you've missed the point about "choosing" your battles....

JediTricks
02-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but a car and a factory at least serve a purpose; a cigarette - even an honest one without additives - serves no purpose except to be consumed and then not even for nutritional needs. It's easier to "choose a battle" against something that has no reason to exist beyond self-perpetuating the finances of old-money. And while you *could* suggest that Twinkies fall into that category, it's also easier to "choose a battle" against something that spews out toxic smoke into the air we all have to breathe than something that just makes the consumer fat.

Porcelina
02-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
And while you *could* suggest that Twinkies fall into that category, it's also easier to "choose a battle" against something that spews out toxic smoke into the air we all have to breathe than something that just makes the consumer fat.

true

however, if you're talking about littering (as i believe eric mentioned a few times)... twinkies also create litter... as does most junk food... perhaps consumers of snickers bars should be made to eat the wrapper, too??

and if this is about air pollution... the factories processing all the chemical crap that goes into junk food are surely creating toxic fumes (and plenty of them!)... so, in fact, eating a twinkie bar *does* contribute indirectly to air pollution, because you're supporting these companies and their factories...

besides the fact that manufacturing chemical junk produces chemical junk which goes into our water supply, and of course, our soil, polluting our food, animals, and eventually us....

cigarettes have become the scapegoat of late.... but there is a LOT more that harms the environment, too..... coming down hard on smokers when you (i'm using you in a general sense) probably do a crapload of other things that are just as bad seems a tad hypocritical

cheers :)

mabudonicus
02-05-2003, 08:55 AM
Yeah, smoking is a drag........ fleep-fleep fleep-fleep...

Well, don't blame me, that was on one o' them posters, and it was good enough then...

It's a pretty well constructed trap, though, there's a pretty good book to aid with quitting called "allen carr's easy way to stop smoking", it gets pretty deep into the cultural brainwashing that is part of the smoking problem in our society.
I have sort of tried to quit, but it seems things all get crazy so often that it's hard to concentrate on breaking the actual physical routine, I find that I just downright forget to keep it up somehow..

I know I must quit someday, I just haven't yet....
Ahhh, maybe when the big Ban hits here I'll get more motivation...
Seriously, though, it's a tricky business, congrats to all who have beaten it, I'll be joining you all soon

Jedi Master Silas
02-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Quitting is hard BUT why chose to smoke and IMO terminate your life much quicker by puffing away on those money wasting cancer sticks. If you do decide to quit put the money you spent every day on cigarettes in a jar or a savings account. In 6 months you'll be shoicked at the amount of money you wated on them. I estimated it to be about a grand a year or so. Quit today and your wife or husband wont have to be widowed ...quit today and enjoy a healthier lifestyle, feel better, and maybe you will live long enough to play with your grandchildren or great grandchildren.

EricRG
02-05-2003, 11:27 AM
porcelina,

Of course, everyone is to a greater or lesser degree hypocritical in one way or another. It's human nature. Nobody's "perfect", as they say. Overlord is right about "picking your battles".

Kidhuman
02-05-2003, 11:52 AM
I am a smoker and have smoked for at least half my life. I have stopped a few times but always ended up starting again. I know I should quit smoking because of health reasons, but it is something I am used to. When I quit I never really felt the urge to smoke one, just the lack of movement when I am idle. I can work a full day without smoking and as soon as I am in my car light one up from boredom. Now I never smoke around the kids(me and my wife only smoke in our bedroom and the kids are not allowed in there). I know it can save alot of money but I just can not seem to quit for good. The longest I ever went without smoking was a year. I guess I need a good long stay in the hospital to quit. Gonna have to be forced I think.

mabudonicus
02-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Yeah, forced.... we're subconsciosly forced to keep it up in a weird way, so being forced to quit sounds about right:):)

Although the "environmental pollution" reasoning seems pretty thin (outdoors, not indoors, where it is true), I don't think of quitting so much as an option as I do "the way it's gonna be".. there's no reason at all to do it, and nothing but good reasons to quit, so even logic (which rarely works:)) comes up with the answer, it's just a matter of doing it, which seems difficult due to a lot of weird messages in our culture....

Just out of curiousity, Porcelina, what "age bracket" are you in (asking your age is impolite, so if you don't want to answer,cool, if not, just a rough estimate is perfect)?? I ask only because age seems to play a role in folks attitudes towards it, and if you're older than I guess, your post would read differently, I guess..
I'm 29 (30 march 8th:() and I never though of quitting til a couple of years ago....... if I was posting here in my late teens or early 20's, my posts would have been radically different than they are now... just curious

EricRG
02-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Um, the reason you can't quit smoking has little to do with "weird messages in our culture"...it's because tobacco (nicotine), and the chemical additives in cigarettes, are ADDICTIVE. You are physically and probably mentally addicted. That is why cigarettes are very hard to give up.

Porcelina
02-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by mabudon

Just out of curiousity, Porcelina, what "age bracket" are you in (asking your age is impolite, so if you don't want to answer,cool, if not, just a rough estimate is perfect)?? I ask only because age seems to play a role in folks attitudes towards it, and if you're older than I guess, your post would read differently, I guess..
I'm 29 (30 march 8th:() and I never though of quitting til a couple of years ago....... if I was posting here in my late teens or early 20's, my posts would have been radically different than they are now... just curious

i'm 21 (22 on march 2nd, my fellow piscean!) and while i don't particularly mind telling anyone my age, i am wary of it when it seems like you're going to look at me (or my posts) a different way because of it.....

so what was it about my posts that implied a certain age in the first place??

sith_killer_99
02-07-2003, 01:29 AM
I think the point he was trying to make is that, as people get older their views tend to change.

Not that any one persons view is more or less valid, simply that they tend to see things differently.

I know that my views on smoking have changed dramatically since age 21-22 even 25.

I was a staunch supporter of smokers, smoker's rights and smoking in general just a few short years ago.

Today I still support common sense smoker's rights, but I do not support the activity of smoking. That is to say; I do not allow anyone to smoke in my home, my vehicle, etc. Whereas, a few years ago I refused to eat at a restraunt without a smoking section.

Now I am older, and a Father. My views and attitudes on smoking have changed.

I think that was all he was getting at, simply a better understanding of where you are coming from. Not that your post would carry any more or less weight because of your age.

Porcelina
02-07-2003, 08:41 AM
sithkiller, i see your point, but i don't think any of my posts would indicate that i'm a "staunch supporter" of smoking or smoker's rights, as you seem to suggest.... if you're thinking of my last post, i was defending smoking only because some people were so "sick to their stomach(s)" by smokers and what they do to the environment.. and i simply wanted to bring to light the fact that there are a lot of other things that are even worse than smoking... and that we all contribute to one way or another....for instance, eating meat causes a lot more environmental damage than smoking, and i find eating beef more disgusting than smoking a cigarette, but i still don't go around saying mean things about meat eaters, or that they should be forced to eat menure... teehee (sorry, just picturing that image!)

:D

mabudonicus
02-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Yes, SK, that's what I was saying exactly.
Now, porcelina, first, thanks for your answer, trust me, it won't apply to my reading of any of your posts outside of this particular thread, I was just checking for my own interest, as as SK99 said, people's views change a lot... I was asking mostly cos I thought the same way as you do and have, to my surprise even, changed my pov considerably with age...
And just so you know, we're on the same page in many ways, I've been vegetarian (sometimes vegan, but drinking equals pizza sometimes:)) for 10 years, refuse to own or drive a car and know there's TONS of problems bigger than smoking on the human table.... I'm sure we'll talk more in other threads, I'm right across the lake south after all, we're practically neighbors:):)

EricRG.... yes, nicotine IS addictive, but even the constant re-inforcement of how "impossible" it is to quit is brainwashing, and unknowingly you just perpetuated it yourself- that's what I was referring to, the whole way that society sells smoking as either a stress reliever to people who haven't found a better one, or even a horrible addiction that you will have to make a huge struggle just to get out of.. the fact that giving up smoking is somehow a supreme challenge or sacrifice is just another mind-game as far as I can tell.... again, read the book I mentioned earlier, I can't quote the whole thing, but the deal with smoking is a whole lot more complex than just a simple physical addiction and it IS reinforced constantly by the media, even the anti-smoking media (why else would tobacco companies be so willing to participate in stop-smoking or other health-related initiatives, huh?? just cos the govt SAYS SO???)

EricRG
02-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Mab,

Your own evidence that you cited concerning how tobacco companies are willing to support anti-smoking campaigns is an argument AGAINST your theory. They are willing to do that because it is SO addictive, plain and simple. Your argument is not really very logical.

Also, think about all the NEGATIVE press smoking gets as far as it's health effects. Shouldn't that motivate people past any "rumour" about how hard it is to quit?

Science has shown the addictive power of cigarettes again and again. The only reason cigarette companies even advertise is because of the competition between each other. Quitting is "hyped " as being impossible, because, well, it damn near is! Almost all smokers try many, many times to quit, unsuccessfully. And not because they sit around and say, damn why is it so hard to quit...but because their BODIES give them little choice.

Jedi Clint
02-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Mab,

Your own evidence that you cited concerning how tobacco companies are willing to support anti-smoking campaigns is an argument AGAINST your theory. They are willing to do that because it is SO addictive, plain and simple. Your argument is not really very logical.

Also, think about all the NEGATIVE press smoking gets as far as it's health effects. Shouldn't that motivate people past any "rumour" about how hard it is to quit?

Science has shown the addictive power of cigarettes again and again. The only reason cigarette companies even advertise is because of the competition between each other. Quitting is "hyped " as being impossible, because, well, it damn near is! Almost all smokers try many, many times to quit, unsuccessfully. And not because they sit around and say, damn why is it so hard to quit...but because their BODIES give them little choice.

I didn't have much if any trouble. I just decided to quit, and then I quit. Where's your science now Flanders? ;)

The Overlord Returns
02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
"Mmm,..........I am in flavor country"

mabudonicus
02-07-2003, 10:17 PM
That's hwat I meant JediClint, there's actually, physically nothing to it, it's all a tricky sham..... disbelieve me if you like, EricRG, but I mean really, smoking makes most people sick, and they have to fight to get used to it, and for what??? All smoking does is make the withdrawal continue... it's just programmed by the society...
Argue if you will, RG, it's a fact nonetheless

Again, if it's so bad, why would anyone even start, all smoking does is get rid of the craving that you never had in the first place, that you had to try hard to acquire against all reason

EricRG
02-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Mab,

We all know 1,000,000 reasons why people start smoking...few have anything to do with enjoying the wonderful burning sensation in the lungs. Most people start because their friends smoke. I started because it was an easy way to meet people. Others see "role models" smoking. As you state...it's a horrible thing to do to your body. It seems to me that that would make it EASY to quit. But no, people cannot, because it is addictive. And not because the Marlboro Man told you so.

"All smoking does is make the withdrawal continue"...Could you explain this line further? Withdrawal implies addiction.

mabudonicus
02-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Sure, man, I can explain.... non-smokers don't have the craving, since they do not have any nicotine level "high water mark" in their system.... when a smoker smokes, it fills up the tank, so to speak, but as soon as the satisfaction kicks in, the level starts going down, creating cravings.... the thing is, as soon as you decide to never smoke again, once the initial cravings subside, it won't happen again, at least not physically.... Does that explain it??
And the brainwashing is pretty slick, man, trust me, you stated some examples yourself... smoking isn't good for anything, exactly, but many folks still do it... Why?? One of the biggest reasons is, and check some ads for the patch or whatever, that the media on either side of the issue continually go on about how hard it is to quit, harder than heroin and all that......
Heroin, if you get addicted enough, can kill you in withdrawal (and just to cover it, I know in extreme cases nicotine withdrawal, in VERY old or otherwise frail people can cause serious problems too, but again, that's what I've read, not what I know) Smoking can only kill you if you keep it up...
Like JediClint's example, (and again, I know it'll be different for everyone), the hardest thing is ignoring all the media and just saying "I'm not gonna do it anymore", then stopping (the media will tell you that that method is "dangerous" too)...
I mean, I still smoke, and just can't seem to get around certain programming in my head... I know it's bad for me, I know I can't afford it, I don't like anything about it, but I just can't defuse the trigger somehow.... I'm thinking about it more than ever lately, and since I've never really put my foot down, I'm sure it'll work....
And yes, Eric, there is a matter of dependance on a chemical level, but with all the weird additives in tobacco (most of it) these days, I'm not sure it's necessarily nicotine as the main bad guy anymore. Maybe the tobacco companies would tell us the real story??

Porcelina
02-08-2003, 10:32 AM
i wouldn't go so far as to say nicotine isn't addictive, but there's plenty of other crap in cigarettes (unless you buy organic) which is equally addictive (eg--caffeine, sugar)

ookie lookie what i found:

http://www.altcigs.com/ingredients.html

Jargo
02-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Pooey. I'm still trying to quit and the reason i don't manage it is because the damn chemicals in the cigarettes change my personality. It's not just the lungs that get affected but the brain. Tobacco companies heve been caught out plenty of times for adding things like sugars and sedatives into cigarettes. When I don't smoke i become physically violent and aggressive verbally.
It's a form of cold turkey, a horrible state to be in. so i never manage to get past it because it's so awful to live through for me and for those who suround me. Quite often my more vehement posts here coincide with times when i'm pushing to space out the cigarettes i smoke from say every two hours to three.
Everybody reacts differently to smoking. To negate the argument of cravings being a factor is wrong. Just because some people can simply stop doesn't mean everyone has the same chemical tolerance. My grandmother simply stopped smoking and never once lit another cigarette in twenty five years. she died a non smoker. My partner has given up several times but always the cravings are too high and it's back to square one. It's not a black and white issue and it's wrong to think it is.
Tobacco copanies are selling an addictive substance. Some people would need to smoke a hell of a lot for that to take effect because they have a different metabolism or physical make up. Some people only need a couple of cigarettes a day to get addicted physically. Then factor in any mental aspects and it isn't a cut and dried issue at all. Each person has it different.
If addiction is a mental issue then to legislate against people suffering from a mental ailment is a crime, a civil rights abuse.
If it's simply a physical issue then medical science should have the cure. There should be state programmes in place for reforming nicotine addicts just the same as there are for heroin or crack or alcohol.
You can't lump all smokers in the one basket. Each case has to be treated on an individual basis depending on circumstances and social background/environment, mental state etc.
And on that basis there can never be just one cure.
But if anyone turned round to me and told me that i had to just give up i'd laugh in their face. You'll have to lock me away in a padded room before that'll happen lest i damage someone with my violent physical rages when i have no nicotine inside me. You take my cigarettes away and I'll do some real damage, animal mineral or vegetable doesn't matter, i'll bust something.
Leave me as a smoker and I'm a peaceable guy. wouldn't say boo to a goose. Now, if nicotine and all the other chemicals that go into cigarettes ahven't changed me then i sure as hell would like to know what has.

sith_killer_99
02-08-2003, 10:49 AM
When I went through smoking cessation classes they informed us that the physical aspect of the "addiction" is gone in 7-10 days (it may have been as high as 14) after nicotine intake stops.

That's it, physical addicion is over, the rest is mental.

Let's face it, it's hard to give up something that you have been doing for years, I smoked for 9 years and started at age 18! That accounts for 1/3 of my life!!! Then there are psychological "triggers" that set smokers off. These are times when you were most likely to smoking. For me it's driving, when I was a smoker I would light up every time I got behind the wheel.

So, yes, there is a physical addicion, but it dosen't really last that long. The psychological addiction is actuall more habit than anything else. But let's not underestimate the power of the mind. Even a dog can be trained to salivate at the ringing of a bell.;)

btw, Porcelina: 2-Hepten-4-One They (that website) made that up! ;)

mabudonicus
02-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah, you've headed off in the direction I was indicating, EJ...
Addiction is a strange thing, and I presonally don't think that the way it's viewed currently even comes close to explaining what's really going on.... the whole "science" of addiction sort of presupposes an understanding of "The BIG Picture", which makes it inherently flawed.......
Calling alcoholism and smoking addictions "diseases" really muddies the pot, IMMHO...
And Porcelina, PLEASE don't quote me as saying nicotine ISN'T addictive..... that's not at all what I meant, and as Jargo illuminated, there are LOTS of other things in cigarettes which may or may not, on MANY levels (the brain is SO complex, eh?), most not even explored or even realized yet, cause neurochemical changes so subtle that human understanding will never be able to categorize it.... add that "x" factor to the obvious manipulation by the industry (in collusion with the governments, natch, despite the publicized "hatred" of the govt for Big Tobacco) and you've got a problem of simply incomprehensible proportions...

Ahhh, sorry, I guess I'm drifting a bit too far left again!!:):):):)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jargo
02-08-2003, 11:19 AM
I have to say that discussions about cigarettes cause me to light up. :D Same as seeing someone smoke on TV.

dis - ease is actually quite apt where smoking is concerned. It's being ill at ease that triggers a lot of smokers off, hence the stress relief part. I started when i was sixteen or seventeen, someone gave me some menthol cigarettes which i think should be banned. It's a gentle easy way into addiction IMO. You start in with something ultra mild and fairly innocuos as a youngster and then you need bigger and biger hits until you're smoking stuff without filters and vile continental stuff fro portugal and then it's cigarillos and then eventually it's a pipe and chewing tobacco. :crazed:
No seriously, i got drawn into it with the light stuff and then i got into really rough harsh cigarettes without realising i'd changed my tastes. damn near twenty years as a smoker so it isn't going to be easy to quit. It isn't a habit it's a part of my life as natural as putting on a shoe or brushing my teeth. It's part of me and to say i should just stop is ridiculous. You wouldn't tell someone to just stop sneezing yet that too is as much a part of them as smoking is to many. crap analogy but you get my drift.
The government over here has outlawed tobacco advertising so it'll be interesting to see how they cope with the loss in revenue in the tobacco industry. No magazine ads, no billboards, no cineama or tv ads, no ads on sports cars or at sports events. Nothing. That'll mean the price of a packet of twenty going up enormously as they try to recoup. Which means kids will be priced out soi it will deter people from starting but for those already caught in the net it's harsh.
I'm already paying around 4 for a packet that's roughly $6. I don't know if that's expensive to you or not but for me it is. Pretty soon i'll be forced to quit anyway as i get priced out. Or i'll cut out something else like food to buy my fix the way i always have done. That's addiction at play. I consider myself a light smoker at just ten a day. How about the eighty a day people? How in gods name are they going to find their fix?
These black and white answers don't work for the real people with real smoking problems. it only hurts in the long run to say 'just say no'.

EricRG
02-08-2003, 01:17 PM
$6=one SW figure + one candy bar

Porcelina
02-08-2003, 01:30 PM
jargo, they've done the same thing in canada--banning advertisements for cigarettes... and the cost of our precious ***s has gone way up... although most of that, i believe, is simply the government trying to "help" us quit smoking...

to be honest, cigs are so expensive now, it's actually *cheaper* in the long run for me to buy organic ones..

a regular pack will set you back around 7-8 bucks, and a good organic pack will cost around 11-12... not even twice the price... AND, here's the wonderful thing about organic ciggies.... they LAST twice as long, because they don't have any of the chemicals that are in regular ones... (tobacco companies add certain chemicals that make regular cigs burn quicker, so you'll need to buy more)

i'm the type of smoker who doesn't mind smoking half and saving the rest for later, so buying organic works for me, and ends up being cheaper in the long run... unfortunately, i know smokers who HAVE to have the entire cigarette in one go, so i guess my method wouldn't work for them...
if you've never tried organic cigs, i highly recommend it... they're pure tobacco, so a lot stronger, which satisfies cravings for longer (i find), and i can honestly feel the difference in my throat and lungs compared to regular cigs... try them!

that's my infomercial for the day :)

Porcelina
02-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

btw, Porcelina: 2-Hepten-4-One They (that website) made that up! ;)

sorry, hun, but that list was the list released by the major tobacco companies in 1994 after pressure from consumers and congress...

and, although i'm not a scientist, by any means, 2-hepten-4-one does exist.. you can even buy the chemical directly from certain companies... don't know what it is/does though.. :)

Jargo
02-08-2003, 04:04 PM
I remeber back in school before i started smoking that a teacher was trying to quit and took to herbal ciggies which i suppose are the organic ones. I remember they smelled a bit like a bonfire. Sort of autumnal. It's worth looking into but all the alternative or organic stuff over here is really pricey. More people are catching on to the idea that organic is good for you but not enough places will stock it because of this bloody stigma that it's marginal interest stuff that only hippy students want. :mad: no actually anyone with half a brain would take organic produce of any kind. Produce with substance and flavour. But I digress as usual. :rolleyes:
The only cigarettes I won't smoke are lucky strike because the tobacco is toasted. Tastes like wood shavings to me. Organic might be worth a shot seeing as my reduction method of dropping down by one a week keeps on failing and failing. It's over a year now since we started on this plan and I'm back up to ten and creeping towards fifteen a day. Worst I ever got was twenty five. but being just a teeny weeny person I can't take much more than that without feeling ill.
As far as i'm concerned there's only one thing that stps me smoking and that's horizontal bedroom gymnastics. keeps your hands occupied and your mind on something that requires total concentration. And as it's a team sport there's a back up if you feel yourself wavering and that craving erupts from the pit of your belly. There's usually something that can be substituted for a ciggie.
Did that go too far or was I diplomatic enough? trying to be clean. :D

Porcelina
02-08-2003, 10:40 PM
actually, jargo, herbal cigs and organic cigs aren't one and the same... i used to live in england, and did try to quit while i was there, by using "herbal" cigarettes that i bought at the chemists'.... and oh my dear lord, they tasted like CRAP!!

herbal cigs are made without tobacco, so there's no nicotine, but they use other herbs (you can actually make your own herbal cigs, my brother did that for awhile, using herbs that are good for your lungs and bronchial tubes and such, he thought that way it would balance out the bad effects of tar and carbon monoxide!! lol), and the taste is so bizarre that for awhile, you're so fascinated by it, it takes you a couple of packs to realize how horrible they are...

organic cigs are 100% tobacco, grown organically, without pesticides, preservatives, additives, chemicals, of any kind... so it's all the goodness of a normal cigarette without the lead, arsenic, formaldehyde, etc :)

my favourite brands are american spirit and nat sherman.... i never smoked organic when i was in england, so unfortunately, i have no clue where you can get them....

Kidhuman
02-09-2003, 01:25 PM
American Spirit are some good ciggarettes:D

Jargo
02-09-2003, 01:39 PM
OOOH, enlightenment. I really had no idea there was a difference. That would explain the bonfire smell then. thanks for the tip, I'll avoid the herbal ones then. :)

Kidhuman
02-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Yeah those herbal ones smell like a camels butt. My friend bought a pack and lit one in my car. I grabbed the pack and threw it out of the car.

mabudonicus
09-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Hey, I had to dig pretty far but this is where THIS belongs... I think I'm pretty far along in quitting... smoking, that is.... I feel pretty weird, it's going on 48 hours, so far... ah well, every time I think about "missing" it, I make sure to ask what I liked vs what I didn't like about it... makes it a bit easier... it sure does seem weird, though...
Please wish me luck, it is not a question of "if" now but of "when" like I said, and I've made it this far.....
\m/

Kidhuman
09-10-2003, 10:58 PM
I will light one up in your memory, wish ya luck.

2-1B
09-11-2003, 03:06 AM
Good luck mabudon, and when you feel tempted just throw up a pair of horns

\m/ \m/

and think of hard it will be to hold a cigarette properly ! ! !

:crazed:

jeddah
09-11-2003, 03:53 AM
You're in with some dodgey company if you smoke.... :D :D :p

jeddah

InsaneJediGirl
09-11-2003, 09:24 AM
That was just plain scary Jeddah:dead:

mabudonicus
09-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks!!!
So far so good, I still feel all weird and sorta dizzy, prolly the extra oxygen or something, but no really bad craving or anything... not as bad as I've been led to believe, anyways...
\m/ \m/

billfremore
09-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Thanks!!!
So far so good, I still feel all weird and sorta dizzy, prolly the extra oxygen or something, but no really bad craving or anything... not as bad as I've been led to believe, anyways...
\m/ \m/

Congrats on entering the land of the self-righteous non-smokers!
Please help yourself to complementary gum and nic patches.

Considering the ridiculous price of cigarettes here north of the 40th I commend you on your choice to kick the deathstick habit.

It does get easier as time goes by and I speak from experience.

I'll be 3 years quit next month. It has been one of the hardest things i've ever done and the thing I'm most proud of. My first real demonstration of willpower in my life.

Good luck to you MBdon! You have my support in your endeavour.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!!!

mabudonicus
09-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks 'freemore.... the price was one of the biggest factors, to be sure....
Glad to see yer thoughts on this board again, BTW.... thanks for the "surprise" post, you were the last person I expected to chime in!!!
\m/ :) \m/

bobafrett
09-24-2003, 10:46 AM
I've never smoked (well anything legal). I refuse to smoke now period, and with what cigerettes are going for these days, well you could almost buy an action figure instead. 4 packs will almost get you a 12" figure. Yep, that's my addiction, and it hasn't turned my lungs black.

My mom is currently fighting cancer. She has been for the last 20 years. She quit smoking many years back, cold turkey. I don't know if the kind of cancer she is fighting now is from the years she spent puffing away, but after seeing everything she has gone through, I'm not going to risk it.

DarthBrandon
09-24-2003, 11:01 AM
I've never smoked (well anything legal). I refuse to smoke now period, and with what cigerettes are going for these days, well you could almost buy an action figure instead. 4 packs will almost get you a 12" figure. Yep, that's my addiction, and it hasn't turned my lungs black.

My mom is currently fighting cancer. She has been for the last 20 years. She quit smoking many years back, cold turkey. I don't know if the kind of cancer she is fighting now is from the years she spent puffing away, but after seeing everything she has gone through, I'm not going to risk it.

Sorry to hear about your mom's situation bobafrett, I lost my father 2 1/2 years ago to the disease and I'm still having trouble quitting, I'm going to see a hypnotist in about two weeks to help me quit. I guess you get hypnotized and then you don't have any cravings or anything like that for a long time (approx. 6 to 8 weeks) so that should be enough to kick the habit. They say the first week or two is the worst, but I keep thinking of all the benefits i.e. better health and more money (about three thousand a year) to do things.

sith_killer_99
09-24-2003, 11:17 AM
1 year 8 months 29 days smoke free!

I have a little side note to add here. A few months ago I noticed a few of my coworkers were strugling through seasonal allergies. Surprisingly I wasn't having any problems. I have been a seasonal allergy sufferer all my life. So I started to wonder what was going on.

Then it hit me. I had been told that it can take a long time for the body to really get clear from smoking. When I was younger my mother smoked, when I turned 18 I was still living at home and I took up smoking. So I had been around smokers my whole life. I was also told about 2 and a half years ago, by an ENT doctor, that I am actually allergic to smoke.

I believe that after giving up smoking my body needed some time to adjust and clear out all the garbage it had been living with. Once that was done my system was better equiped to deal with the seasonal allergies. I really feel great, I think this has been the first summer/fall that I haven't needed and endless supply of Tavist or Sudafed or any other allergy medication. :D

bobafrett
09-24-2003, 11:35 AM
1 year 8 months 29 days smoke free!

Congrats SK99! Keep up the good work! I do have an addiction to diet pepsi. I mean, I drink a lot in a day. I've tried to go off cold turkey, switching to water, but when I do, I get these gawd awful cramps. My dad suggests I do it more slowly, but being the creature of habit that I am, I find myself buying soda everytime I walk into a convience or grocery store. When I drink water, I usually start gagging. I haven't seen any studies linking diet soda to colon or any other type of cancer, but I have heard that it can do some damage.

Sorry to hear about your mom's situation bobafrett, I lost my father 2 1/2 years ago the disease and I'm still having trouble quitting, I'm going to see a hypnotist in about two weeks to help me quit. I guess you get hypnotized and then you don't have any cravings or anything like that for a long time (approx. 6 to 8 weeks) so that should be enough to kick the habit. They say the first week or two is the worst, but I keep thinking of all the benefits i.e. better health and more money (about three thousand a year) to do things.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father Brandon. My mom is supposed to start a new treatment this Friday. I talked to her last night. She is in pain right now, and I feel so helpless. I hope that you can rid yourself of the smoking habit Brandon. Good luck with the hypnotist!

DarthBrandon
09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father Brandon. My mom is supposed to start a new treatment this Friday. I talked to her last night. She is in pain right now, and I feel so helpless. I hope that you can rid yourself of the smoking habit Brandon. Good luck with the hypnotist!

That's cool bobafrett, I hope your mom does well with the new treatment and thanks for the support.

mrhat
09-24-2003, 02:48 PM
I smoke, and I'm in college (i dunno if it makes a difference) It makes it sorta hard here since you can't smoke within 50 feet of any building (you are rarely 50 ft. from anywhere. It helps me out with the daily stresses of college life. Now, I don not reccomend this to anyone alright, smoking is horrible. But it helps for now, I am defenetly going to quit when i get married or get out of college whicheer comes first. It juat what i need right now.

billfremore
09-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks 'freemore.... the price was one of the biggest factors, to be sure....
Glad to see yer thoughts on this board again, BTW.... thanks for the "surprise" post, you were the last person I expected to chime in!!!
\m/ :) \m/

Anytime dude. :cool:
Are you using anything to aid in your attempt to quit?

mabudonicus
09-25-2003, 05:58 PM
The secret weapon is poverty :D

billfremore
09-26-2003, 06:56 AM
The secret weapon is poverty :D

Shh, don't tell everybody then everybody will try to be poor

mrhat
09-26-2003, 08:23 AM
I knew it all along