PDA

View Full Version : final destination 2

derek
02-01-2003, 09:24 PM
usually i don't go for films featuring a "young, so-called cool" cast, ala scream or stuff like that, but i saw final destination last year or whenever it came out, while i should of been working:evil:, and actually liked it. when the credits rolled i thought, "that could of been an x-files movie or episode", and i was right, as the film was written by some of the guys who did write fo the x-files TV show.

so today, after only working half a day:evil:, i stroll over to the mega-theatre complex and see that final destination 2 is playing.
all the other shows i would of seen had already started, so i thought, "i'll go see FD2", as the first one was pretty good.

without giving anything away, i really enjoyed this film. it wasn't ground-breaking or life changing, but i did it's job. it entertained me for a few hours without having to resort to lame pop cultural references by writers who think they are too cool for their britches(see dark angel).

the stunts(car crashs) and deaths of those who "cheated death" were realy suspenceful, and a bit gory.:eek: , but served the story well. i can't recall the last time a film made me want to look away from the screen because i knew someone was going to "get a ladder rammed thru their skull".;)

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Cool, I am looking forward to seeing this film. I enjoyed the first one, except, I didn't really care for the ending.

Beast
02-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Yep, great flick Derek. The first one was so original, somthing that is sorely lacking in Hollywood now adays. The sequel, while it could have become just a rehash of elements of the first was actually even more inventive and original. Especially the reason behind why people are dieing in reverse order, to the way they died in the first film. Now that was an original plot twist.

The deaths were more inventive even, and alot more graphic. I can't believe some of the stuff they got away with in the movie. Usually that much gore is hard to get past the MPAA. My favorite has to be the airbag and barb wire deaths. Don't wanna spoil anything, but those were just wicked. Can't wait for the DVD.

As for spoilers, I'll wait a week or so before I talk about any of the deaths or any of the plot. Since this movie really needs to be seen without knowing when and who and how, things are going to happen. But it's so nice to see that they got Tony "Candyman" Todd back for a cameo. :)

SK99 - Why didn't you like the ending of the first one? The one guy that really deserved to die, got crushed by a sign. Infact that ending was shot, because the original ending that killed Alex and left Carter alive ticked off the audience. I think it is a lot better that Alex and Clear survived, and the jerk died. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 10:04 PM
This may sound twisted, but I wanted everyone dead! The film ended without a real sense of completion.

Just my opinion, but I got the sense that it wasn't over, that they would have to keep running and we would never find out how it turned out. It never got set right.

Does that make sense? Maybe they resolve that in the sequel, but for a stand alone movie it was too much of a cliffhanger for me.

Beast
02-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Ok, I can see what you mean. The second one should make you happy then. Not going to spoil anything, but yes the problem you had with the first one is resolved in the sequel. BTW, thanks for responding. I was just curious as to why you thought the ending wasn't good. I had the exact opposite reaction then you did, I didn't see where they possibly could go to tie together both films. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Great, maybe they'll do a special edition Final Destination 1 and 2 DVD set with some extra goodies.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the first film, it was original and well done. The elaborate death/near death scenes were incredible, the plot and story line seemed solid, but the ending left you hanging.

From what I've read here I really need to go see this movie. :D

Beast
02-01-2003, 10:31 PM
The Special Edition DVD of the first film is pretty packed already. 2 featurettes, 2 commentaries, trailers, deleted scenes. But when 2 comes out on DVD, I'll probably buy both if they issue a gift pack. Since New Line has finally abandoned the snapper case, and re-issues and new movies will all come in keep cases. :)

Yes run, don't walk to the theater and see FD2. One of the few times that a sequel could surpass the original in plot, shocks, and cool gore effects. I'm glad that lately, new movies don't take all that long to reach DVD. Since I already want to see this again. I may actually have to give in and see it again at the theater. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
02-02-2003, 10:02 AM
I've not seen it yet, but I'm glad that the people who have enjoyed it!

I thought the first one was brilliant, but was worried a sequal would ruin it, now for the questions:

Are they the same people from the end of the first film (the girl, the guy that was also Stan in Eminem's video, and that other guy) or are they a completely different cast?

Is it a follow up to the actual story, or is it a completely different story that doesn't really have any tie-ins to the origional film?

Beast
02-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, there was only 2 people alive at the end of the first film. Remeber, Carter pushed Alex out of the way of the bus, but then got smashed by the falling sign just as the credit roll. Clear does appear in Final Destination 2, but Alex doesn't.

It's sort of a sequel, but also later it turns into a follow-up. I'm trying not to spoil anything, but it does tie-in to the first film. Just how is not clear until halfway thru the film. I'll say this, it's a very unique way that the two tie together. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-02-2003, 06:19 PM
It was a very fun sequel, a great time - but I didn't like the female lead as much as I liked Devon Sawa in the first movie.
Was he not interested in doing a sequel?

Jek Porky 2002
02-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Actually, you weren't supposed to know that Carter died at the end of the first one, that was the cliffhanger!

Beast
02-05-2003, 03:46 PM
He got crushed by a giant sign!! That's no cliffhanger, that's a death. They killed him because people were ticked off because in the original ending only he and Clear lived. Alex died when he grabbed the power cable off the hood of the car. Test audiences wanted Carter the jerk to die, and Alex and Clear to live. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SQueek
02-07-2003, 01:07 PM
my post will contain mad spoliers so dont read if you havnt seen both movies

i really liked both movies but i think they should of changed a few things. anyways they couldnt get that main kid to be in the second one, and they just said him and carter were both killed in the sign accident. stupid. i would of rather they said alex was killed sometime else and have it be in a really strange way so we know that death was responsible. anyways i really liked the idea that you give birth to a child and you cheat death. this almost worked its way into the first but didnt. for the 2nd one i would of got rid of that pregnant lady and the whole drownding bit and would of rather of seen claire have a kid and save everyone.

but whatever they are both great flicks and the 2nd one turned out really well.

Beast
02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SQueek
my post will contain mad spoliers so dont read if you havnt seen both movies

i really liked both movies but i think they should of changed a few things. anyways they couldnt get that main kid to be in the second one, and they just said him and carter were both killed in the sign accident. stupid. i would of rather they said alex was killed sometime else and have it be in a really strange way so we know that death was responsible. anyways i really liked the idea that you give birth to a child and you cheat death. this almost worked its way into the first but didnt. for the 2nd one i would of got rid of that pregnant lady and the whole drownding bit and would of rather of seen claire have a kid and save everyone.

but whatever they are both great flicks and the 2nd one turned out really well.
Alex wasn't killed by the sign, he lived. You may want to check the movie out again. He became a shut-in with Clear after the sign incedent. And was killed by a falling brick. That's when she knew that death was still coming for them, and had herself commited so that she would be safe. :)

The pregnant lady was a great red herring, they thought she was supposed to die in the accident. But because she never was meant to die, the birth didn't stop death. It was great, here you think everything is all safe and cleared up, and then she has a vision of the pregnant lady on the side of the road watching the accident. So they had to come up with another way to have "new life", hence the drowning bit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
02-07-2003, 06:51 PM
since we're discussing spoilers...................

the only part of the film i didn't like was when the guy was in the hospital room and all of a sudden the vents closed, the table started moving, and the respirator un-plugged. that seemed like the writers kinda ran out of ideas. everything else seemed like it was all part of their fates, but those events described above made it seem death was actually making things happen.

if death can close air vents and move tables, couldn't he just stab them to death while they are sleeping?;)

Beast
02-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Derek, I heard that they did that to tie in with the first film. They wanted the deaths in FD2 to seem less like a physical presance was causing them. That's why you don't see that shadowy ghost spirit thingie at all in the movie. But they decided to do one that was more like some of deaths in the original, death actually taking matters in his own hands. Like when Todd strangles in the tub, that one was death taking matters in his own hands. Besides, Death was probably cheesed he didn't kill him in the car accident, so wanted no mistakes. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-08-2003, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I remember seeing that creepy shadow on the ceiling in the trailer but don't recall seeing it in the film.

derek, I see your point about that death, but stuff like that just reminded me of the water on the floor in the first flick. When I watched part 1, I thought it was cool how they followed the water "leak" along the tiles. After Todd died, they showed the water flowing back . . . I thought that was a bit cheesy, so I was already prepped for part 2. :D

Man, when I hopped on the interstate yesterday, I randomly thought of the crash scene. :eek: It was weird to look around at the other vehicles on the road with me . . . I was just glad I didn't see a truck hauling logs. :crazed:

SQueek
02-08-2003, 09:11 AM
that creepy shadow on the ceiling, it looked liked two skeleton hands and they kinda closed or looked like they were grabbing? that was in the film, im not sure where but it was in there because i remember noticing the "hands" and i never noticed them in the trailer

Turbowars
02-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Awesome, Totally Awesome!! I loved it. Great crashes oooohhh yeah, head smashing, eye popping, bodies exploding, you know that kind of greatness. :evil: :crazed:

Jek Porky 2002
02-11-2003, 02:17 PM
I finally got round to seeing it last night!

Final Destination 2 has got to be one of the only films in history to be better than it's origional! It was so origional, and I love the way it ties in with Final Destination 1!

Does that kid blowing up/arm on the table thing mean that there's going to be a third? If they do make it, I just hope they don't end upusing the same ideas, and making it old and tired.

Kimberly was HOT!!!!!

Jek Porky 2002
02-13-2003, 01:51 PM
I've just thought, when they are in the petrol station, Clear has that premunition about that kid with a lighter, but hits him so that he doesn't cause a fire and kill everyone.

Does this mean that he and his friends would have been killed too, but weren't, so that has created yet another ripple?

Beast
02-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Probably, that will be there in for Final Destination 3. Just like the guy that gets killed by the barb-wire saving the farmboy. Who later gets blown to bits by the exploding BBQ. Death needs to start being more careful. :)

But actually, I think the lighter premonition was a sign of her own demise. Since she died in the explosion in the hospital. It works both ways, thanks to the convenience of how things are mysterious in the film. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
02-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, didn't think of it like that.

Beast
04-13-2003, 06:07 AM
New Line Home Entertainment finally announced a DVD release date for Final Destination 2. One of the few sequels to actually be as good, or better then the original film. Atleast depending on which one you prefer most. Final Destination 2 finally comes to DVD in July, with the deluxe Infinifilm treatment by New Line. Atleast this puts to rest the rumors that New Line was going to stop producing "Infinifilm" titles. Here's the specs and DVD art.

Features: Anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1) and fullscreen transfers, DD 5.1 EX, DTS ES 6.1, DD 2.0, subtitles.

Supplements: Audio commentary with director David Ellis, Producer Craig Perry and Screenwriters Eric Bress & J. Mackye Gruber; Infinifilm Fact Track with exclusive material; deleted scenes; Extended takes; Featurettes: "The Terror Gauge," "Cheating Death: Beyond & Back," "Bits & Pieces: Bringing Death to Life"; Theatrical Trailers; DVD ROM: Script-to-screen, Screensaver, Wallpapers, "Chain Reaction" activity, weblinks

MSRP: $27.98, Release Date: 7/22/03

SQueek
04-13-2003, 10:06 AM
I really don't like infinifilm, they design them for babies or something.

2-1B
04-13-2003, 11:17 PM
A big ol' :rolleyes: to the Infinifilm decision, I don't know why they can't just go with the cool Platinum Series (of course, in a nice keepcase :D ).

Yep, and while they are at it they should release it in a twinpack with the first movie (in a brand new keepcase instead of the old snapper :mad: ) so suckers like me will rebuy it. :crazed:

Beast
04-13-2003, 11:24 PM
They probably will re-release the first one in a keepcase instead of a snapper when they release "FD2". They have done that for TMNT I, Austin Powers I & 2, and a few others when the sequels came out on DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
04-15-2003, 05:35 PM
What are snappers and keep cases?

I'm guessing that snappers are the ones that are made of card that sort of fold round that there is a bit of plastic along one of the edges that clips it together, there are annoying because they jut out a bit more than the other kind.

And keep cases must be the standard plastic ones, that are also used for PS2 games, these are my favourate.

Am I right?

If I am, you say that FD 1 came out in a snapper, well in Region 2 it was in a keep case, and so were all the Austin Powers movies.

sith_killer_99
07-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Yep, I'm digging up this old thread because I finally saw Final Destination 2!

WOW, I loved it! This one really tied together all the loose ends, if you get my meaning. lol :D

I really liked the way this was done. I finally got a sense of completion for the main characters of the film. I liked the original plot twists and the ending was perfect IMO!

Way to go, this is the best follow-up sequel since "The Godfather Part II"! OK, maybe it wasn't as good as GF2, but It really felt like the sequel had a point to it, other than, making more money for Hollywood.

I have to say that FD2 was the ending I was looking for all along! Is there room for an FD3, sure, but I could go either way at this point. If they do it, cool, if not, oh well.

I will definatly be buying both of these to enjoy again and again.

Honorable mention to the Airbag death scene!!!

2-1B
07-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Rumor has it that a possible FD3 would revolve around a roller coaster mishap. :)

Glad you liked the sequel, SK99.

Now for my rant . . . ;)

WHY IN HADES DID THEY HAVE TO MAKE THIS A 2 SIDED DISC ? ? ? ? ? WHO DOES NEW LINE THINK THEY ARE ? MGM ? :mad:

Thank you, now I feel better. :)

Beast
07-28-2003, 11:45 AM
It does indeed kick majory booty. And I'm sure with the good reviews and high box office totals that FD3 is just around the corner. Hell, they're doing Scary Movie 3 for cripes sake. :p

I also loved how their was a point to the sequel. They could have easily severed any connection to the first one. But the unique plot twists that brings FD1's story right into FD2 is pure genius. :)

Glad you liked it so much, SK99. We told you that you would. Still amazed after all this time the ammount of over the top gore they got away with in this one. The MPAA must have been half asleep or drunk out of their minds when this one slid into their hands. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-28-2003, 11:49 AM
OR maybe they submitted such a gore filled version that even after their MPAA cuts were made they were able to get away with it? :)

Beast
07-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Nope, according to the press material and the DVD commentary they filmed it extra gory on purpose. Expecting that they'd have to tone it down for the MPAA, to get an R rating. But it amazingly passed the MPAA with no cuts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks