PDA

View Full Version : Superbit DVDs

Jayspawn
02-02-2003, 12:56 AM
This question is for the other DVD nut's out there like me. Unfortunatly, this is the one acpect of DVDs which I am not familiar with. But here goes...

Whats the difference between Superbit and regular DVDs? Do they have extra features? Are they worth the extra $?

Eternal Padawan
02-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Supposedly they use all the disc space for advanced frame rates and sound waves for "superior sound and picture quality." rather than using the extra space for documentaries and commentaries and what not.

Superbit is to regular DVD what regular DVD is to VHS. Or so they say. I've seen some Superbit footage and I can't tell the difference. Maybe if I had a digital HDTV and a dolby pro deluxe surround sound system, it'd be more obvious. But I don't, so regular ol' DVD is good enough for me.

12inch Lando
02-02-2003, 10:09 AM
I purchased the Suberbit version of "The 5th Element" to try out the format and I was pleasantly surprised. I'd always assumed that the DVD format was a standard but I guess not. There are no extras on these DVDs save scene selection. The menus are static and plain and there aren't even the obligatory trailer extras that are usually tossed in at the last second. Every bit of the DVD is used for the a/v of the film and it shows. I do have a top of the line Sony Wega XBR 36" TV so that may help to show the improvements. Toss in a decent surround sound system and you've got a videophile nirvana with this format... until the next one comes along...

Here’s what they say…

PURE PERFORMANCE

The Superbit Collection will set a new benchmark in high resolution DVD picture and sound, creating the ultimate in home entertainment. Superbit lets you use your existing DVD player to its maximum capacity!

Superbit DVDs utilize a special high bit rate digital transfer process that optimizes video quality and offers a choice of both DTS and 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. All Superbit DVDs start with high definition masters and double the bit rate of the original release.

All Superbit DVDs are widescreen presentations in the original language. Other languages are subtitled.

mini-rock
02-10-2003, 03:08 AM
To take full advantage of what the video portion of Superbit DVD has to offer it is good to have a a Hi Def display (RPTV, Front Projector, Plasma) capable of 480p resolution. Otherwise there is not much of a difference between the SB and their regular versions viewing interlaced.

The good news for audiophiles is that SB DVD's also boast DTS tracks for the best in 5.1 sound.

Almost all SB DVD's do not come with any extras, but the ones that do are called SB Deluxe. It's the same as SB, but all the extras are put on a 2nd disc. Unfortunately for people who dig the extras there are not much of these out there.

Jayspawn, if you have a system that is capapble of taking full advantage of what SB DVD has to offer, then I say yes it is worth the extra dough. SB push the envelope for DVD technology, and will serve any well put together system well.:)