PDA

View Full Version : The Metallica Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 11:31 AM
From the April 3 issue of Rolling Stone as reported by Blabbermouth...

When Newsted joined Metallica in 1986, the band put him through a tough initiation: charging extravagant sushi dinners to his hotel rooms and sometimes ditching him without a ride. Despite this, Trujillo says he isn't scared. "I'm not worried about the hazing," he claimed. "The guys seem to be a little more laid-back these days. Maybe they'll throw something at me, but I'll probably throw it at them first." Drummer Lars Ulrich agreed. "We went so overboard back in the day," he said. "We got all the hazing out of the way."

According to Ulrich, Trujillo landed the gig after a smoking rehearsal, which peaked during "Kill 'Em All" classics "Hit The Lights" and "Whiplash". "We were trying to find someone who could inspire us to step it up to another level," said Ulrich. "I have to say that when we played with Rob, and we listened back, Metallica have never sounded so good."

Newsted was equally complimentary when asked about his replacement. "Rob will make Metallica awesome," he said, adding that they were "helping each other learn songs from our previous bands." [Newsted has now officially joined Ozzy Osbourne's band as their new bassist]

Metallica are preparing to release their new album, "St. Anger", on June 10, and are practicing for the Summer Sanitarium 2003 Tour with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.

Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=10586)

The hazing continues!

2-1B
03-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Well, we were bound to have some crappy bands forced on us for the Icon show . . . at least we know Sum 41 is one of the offenders. :rolleyes:

Same with the Aerosmith Icon . . . Sum 41 doing the hip hop Walk This Way (with Nelly and Ja Rule in the roles of Run and Darryl).

Papa Roach smearing their garbage all over Sweet Emotion. (specifically, vocalist Coby or Cody Whoever . . . )

And so it goes with MTV, they will (rightly) honor 'Tallica but put some of the "hot" and "upcoming" :rolleyes: acts on stage.

For the love of god, why didn't they have METALLICA play an Aerosmith tune? I know they had no bassist, so what - they could have used anyone. Can you imagine how great Jamyz would sound singing . . . oh . . . let me think . . . ANY of those great tunes? It would be awesome !

Nope, instead I watched Sum 41, Papa Roach, Train (the least offensive and I'm definitely NOT even a Train fan :D ) Pink, and Shakira do covers. Pink was decent, she has a connection with the band since Steven Tyler appeared on her record . . . Shakira, I dunno about that one but at least it was "different."

Oh, and how could I forget the ultimate star ****er, Kid Rock? He was there too for a medley . . . :rolleyes:

I'm sure we can add Kid Rock to this year's list of performers -- hell, Metallica WROTE one of his most popular songs, "Sad But True American BadLameass."

Sorry for the rant, but this Icon business could be so much better.
I wish they would get some cool bands to do Metallica justice.

Alright, in the interest of staying positive, who would we like to see cover some Metallica songs for the Icon show ? :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 02:28 AM
Well, for Icon show the bands will have to be influenced by Metallica in some way. Which cuts out a lot of bands I'd like to see perform. The only band I would like to see do a cover song is Dream Theater. They proved they could handle the entire Master of Puppets album, so maybe they could play Battery to honor the boys in black.

As for who will probably be there instead performing: Kid Rock, Nickelback, and maybe Foo Fighters. All three of the lead men for those bands praise Metallica a lot, and I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow found their way on the Icon show. Just don't let Limp Bizkit perform, that's all I am asking for.

EDIT-Ok, consider this rumored, because a radio station has said this rumor so far, BUT Korn is supposed to cover the song One on the Icon show and Kid Rock will be a part of the show. Though at this time it's unknown if Rock will cover a song or just talk.

2-1B
03-19-2003, 02:00 AM
Great, I can't wait to hear Jonathon Davis' whining over such a classic song. :rolleyes:

Told ya so about Kid Rock. :crazed:

Here's a shot of Jason Newsted with Ozzy at rehearsals. :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-19-2003, 03:47 PM
Taken from the recent Kerrang issue:

The volume is intoxicating, the songs even more so...Metallica haven't gone backwards they have gone elsewhere, somewhere they haven't really gone before. Much of the speed is back-speed that recalls the days of Battery and Dyers Eve. But the format is markedly different. This isn't controlled aggression, much of it is uncontrolled violence. It's ironic that at a time when the band are so at peace with one another they should make an album that sounds like they're at war. As one track follows the other-there are only working titles like 'Monster' and 'Frantic'-the difference not only between what you expect, but what has gone becomes clear. There's no space between the drums and the guitars, there are riffs everywhere, there is anger and confusion -'Do not know the answer, I don't know what the question is' is one lyric- there is swearing and shouting and time changes and speed and fury...
It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that St Anger is the finest thing Metallica have put their name to. All the songs I'm assured, sound like this. There are no ballads. Instead theres an assault of speed and volume and anger and intensity. This is exactly the kind of thing that made a slogan such as 'Birth, school, Metallica, death' an opposite and appropiate summation of everything this band could muster, both in themsleves and their audience.

I'll leave you metal heads with that while I take my vacation. Ha ha, I am so excited for this album.

manji
03-19-2003, 10:14 PM
"and nothing else matters..."

Yeah, especially not anything Metallica put out after this whiny piece of crap! Bring back Kill 'Em All! Bring back Ride The Lightning! Bring back Master of Puppets! Bring back And Justice for All! No more of this Load, Reload, or S & M blasphemy! And don't feed me this crap about how they've grown up or matured as musicians. Crappy slow music and whiny ballads - that's what I hear. Metallica's recent efforts are bastard offbrand crapola that completely rips the soul out of my disaffected youth. I may as well been buying "Dick Clark's Pop Metal Anthems". Oy vey! Please, for the love of all that is sacred to METAL, let this new album rock! The last few sure as H-E-double-hockey-sticks haven't even been close.

By the way, I am sure this post will be lambasted, yet this is how I feel. I am certainly not here to pick fights or insult anyone's opinion, but I most definitely feel betrayed by Metallica's musical direction over the past several years. They may have generated a new fan base, but as far as this fan is concerned I have been alienated. The "recent" Metallica just isn't the band that inspired me to bang my head and thrash out in the first place.

Exhaust Port
03-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by manji
"and nothing else matters..."

Yeah, especially not anything Metallica put out after this whiny piece of crap!

This is actually my favorite Metallica song. What's wrong with a more mellow song by a band that produces heavy metal? It's the same reason that I like Changes by Black Sabbath.

Bring back Kill 'Em All! Bring back Ride The Lightning! Bring back Master of Puppets! Bring back And Justice for All!

There is a reason they don't bring back those albums, they already made them. You want an album that sounds like Kill 'Em All then put it Kill 'Em All in the CD player and hit play.

Do you think those of us listening to them before ...And Justice for All asked that they make another Master of Puppets? Heck no, because we would have never gotten AJFA.

Change/Evolving is good. Look at the depth of the Led Zepplin library and how each album was different. If I wanted to listen to a band that kicked out album after album that sounded like their previous works then I would buy Korn albums.

Darth Jax
03-20-2003, 12:44 PM
after that review i really can't wait to get the new disc and seem em live. first gotta get through all this snow.

Exhaust Port
03-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Yeah, you guys got hammered didn't you? Just when you thought it was over.....BAM.

Darth Jax
03-20-2003, 01:26 PM
should have enough time to melt before the next front hits next week. while i have everything that metallica has put out, i'm definitely one that prefers the pre-black album stuff. it all beats most music out there today, but the return to fast and loud metallica is eagerly awaited.

manji
03-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Exactly! I am not saying there is anything wrong with those who prefer the post-Metallica albums. I prefer the louder, faster Metallica. I purchased Load, listened to Reload, S & M, and Garage, Inc., and decided to pass. If that's your cup 'o tea, fine. Funny thing about opinions - everyone has one, and they aren't all the same. I do listen to the old albums, and I miss them. I don't think a return to the basics is a bad thing. I do understand the concept of change; I understand that some change is good, but some is not-so-good. It is my opinion that Metallica's change of music style falls into the "not-so-good" category. Of course, that's only my opinion, and I do seem to be in the minority with that opinion.

James Boba Fettfield
03-21-2003, 10:05 AM
From intersandman.com"

In an interview with Canadian radio station 97.7 HTZ Fm, Lars revealed two more working song titles, All Within My Hands and Dirty Window. Another interesting tidbit is that the band is leaning towards using their old friend Pushead for the album's artwork. The station is airing the interview in parts with the final two airing tomorrow and Friday at 6 and 9 PM EST. Listen in at 97.7 HTZ!

That leaves us with... St. Anger, Monster, Frantic, All Within My Hands, Dirty Window and Dead Kennedy Rolls...

Exhaust Port
03-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the update/info. JBF.

Darth Jax
03-23-2003, 01:03 PM
if it holds true with the earlier albums we have another two or three songs still to be discovered.

scruffziller
03-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield

Don't know what the set list will be though. I just hope to hear So What. Pure bliss.

Yeah uncensored........:D

But there are parts of the song I don't like to sing along with.;)

Did u see the new pic on their site with Rob Trujillo?

Man James looks like a nerd. He reminds me of a telemarketing supervisor I once had. And that guy said he(himself) had real long hair. Now I see the resemblance!!!!:crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
03-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Yeah, and have you heard him singing on their studio website in their latest video? James has truly progressed into a new era of music making.

James Boba Fettfield
03-29-2003, 08:10 AM
It seems Metallica has gotten into the recent extras craze with their upcoming St. Anger album! Seriously, this sounds like the best dvd with cd I could have ever expected to be included with St. Anger:

Metallica's new album, St. Anger, will include a free bonus DVD featuring the band playing all 11 songs (yes, 11 songs) from the album in a live setting. Recording began last Friday, March 21st, in the rehearsal space at HQ with the band performing six songs....the first with Rob for the cameras... unless of course, you count amateur Swedish home videos.

There will be no fancy ****, just Metallica doing what they do best, kicking your ***, and don't worry, the CD will be regularly priced, we just wanna throw in some extra free **** for you guys!

Directing the project is Wayne Isham ("Enter Sandman", "Sad But True", "I Disappear", "Cunning Stunts", "S&M"). Wayne and his crew captured the awesome vibe and thunderous new tunes. The next five songs for the DVD will be shot soon.

Official Page With This News/Pictures (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=839)

I'm glad to hear Wayne is directing this. I love his previous work with the band, and this dvd is going to deliever.

DarthBrandon
03-29-2003, 11:02 AM
I've been a Metallica fan before most of you even knew who they were (no bragging or anything intended), from the beginning many many moons ago. The best albulms they put out IMO are KIll Em All, Ride the Lightning and the ever popular Master of Puppets. Since their transition to the mainstream, the music has become way too commercialized and lost it's edge. i.e. And Justice for All had only One hit song (One) on it's Albulm, which was kinda soft and hard at the same time, the rest I can't even remember they were that poor IMO. Metallica's next Albulm simply titled Metallica as far as I can tell as there is nothing on this cover but a black background was somewhat better than the last. Songs like (Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Of Wolf and Man, My Friend Of Misery, the two slow songs (The Unforgiven, and Nothing Else Matters) are all top notch but still lack the hardness that most of us have grown accustomed to. Then we have Load and Reload, two albulms I bought but rarely listen to because they IMO really (well you get the picture) don't interest me at all. Garage Inc. is kinda like a step back in time even if they are covering other bands tunes with good covers on Die Die My Darling, Astronomy, Whiskey In The Jar, Tuesday's Gone, Am I Evil, Blitzkrieg (both cover songs from other bands on their previous albulms), Turn The Page, and Stone Cold Crazy. This was a huge step up for me and one of the better ones after Puppets. Don't even get me started on New's departure, I really hope the next albulm is just as good as Garage Inc. or better.:D

2-1B
03-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Spinal Tap had the black album.

Metallica had a snake and their logo on a black background. :D

Not only did Jaymz and Lars steal their band's name, they also stole the cover for their biggest release! ;)

Exhaust Port
03-29-2003, 12:54 PM
And that snake is from the "Don't Tread On Me" American Revolution flag from the 1770's. The flag is called the Gadsden Flag. They copied that too. :)

http://gadsden.info/

I love Garage Inc. I hunted for years starting back in the early '90's to find an original copy of the Garage Days CD and finally found that one. Those covers are some of my favorite Metallica songs as well as the other B-Sides I gathered off the numerous singles. It's awesome to finally have all those songs on one disc as well as picking up another 11 new covers!!!

My favorites are still the older songs: Am I Evil?, Breadfan, The Prince and The Wait.

2-1B
03-30-2003, 12:53 AM
I love Garage, Inc. as well. :)

My favorites? Well, there are several but for now I'll say Am I Evil?, Stone Cold Crazy, So What, LAST CARESS, and dearest to my heart is The Fate medley.

I'm such a proud King Diamond fan, I have all of his CDs and of course all of the Mercyful Fate CDs. No, my fave is not one of the early ones from which the Medley draws, but rather "9" -- it's their most recent and IMO their best. INCREDIBLE.

Anyway, I'm listening to the Metallica CD right now and "Of Wolf and Man" will always be my favorite. "The God that Failed" is a close second along with "Through the Never." Hell, the whole album is good. :)

Tycho
03-30-2003, 03:01 AM
I agree. The Black album is under-rated because it is not "old Metallica."

Exhaust Port
03-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Once you get past Enter Sandman and Sad But True, there are some great jems on that album. The God That Failed is an excellent example.

It's be over 10 years since The Black Album's release. At some point will that be considered "old Metallica?" The Burton years would then become "Original Metallica" or "Genesis Metallica?"

Rogue II
03-30-2003, 09:58 AM
It seems like the Black Album is the dividing line between "old Metallica" and "new Metallica." Is this because it was the first one of their albums that got a great deal of air play?

2-1B
03-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Maybe, Rogue II. :)

"One" got SOME airplay form AJFA, not NEARLY as much as Sandman though . . . to me, The Black Album is the dividing line because I always heard Enter Sandman on our local pop station.

I certainly don't hold it against them, that's just my recollection.

As for Cliff Burton, I think the "Cliff era" would actually include AJFA since that was before their 'sellout' - no, I don't feel that way, I'm just commenting on public perception.

In my experience, people turned against Metallica during the Black Album more because of it's commercial success . . . while it was Load which REALLY turned some people off to the music itself.

I'm generalizing here, those are just my impressions - what do you all think ?

Well, for me, the Black Album is definitely the dividing line - on the whole I think it's great, but the albums after it have too many ups and downs for my liking. :)

Darth Jax
03-30-2003, 06:02 PM
and after the black album they cut their hair. i can't exactly say why but i look at AJFA as the last of 'classic' metallica and the black album as the start of what many look at as a downward spiral. while i like everything they've put out, i really only find myself listening to the early stuff.

2-1B
03-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Hahaha,
was it Mike Inez who wrote "Friends don't let friends get haircuts" on his bass during the Alice in Chains Unplugged show ? :D

scruffziller
03-31-2003, 08:43 AM
Some hardcore Metallica fans deem "The Black Album" as way to radio friendly and put it at the bottom of their list.

Fettfield??? How do you rank the albums.

James Boba Fettfield
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Original studio material only from best to worst (though all albums I love):
Load
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
Metallica
Reload
And Justice For All
Kill 'Em All

As for Metallica aka TBA being at the bottom of most fans list, I notice a lot of the fans on Metallica's message boards pointing that finger at Reload for being the worst. But if you ask Metallica, they'll point their fingers at Justice for being their worst album.

mabudonicus
03-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Caesar's last post describes my take on the evolution of the band exactly (different faves, but same sense of progression)
I'd be hard pressed to name a particular favourite, but "Battery" could be one for sure...

scruffziller
03-31-2003, 10:45 AM
But if you ask Metallica, they'll point their fingers at Justice for being their worst album.

Probably because it was the first album without Cliff.:cry:

James Boba Fettfield
03-31-2003, 10:52 AM
No, Lars compared it to the band doing somersaults after they finished recording it. Or as James said, it was them trying to show off their playing skills on every song.

Oh, and I just found this article on the fan club boards.

Close-up's Martin Carlsson leaves an exclusive report from the studio north of San Francisco where Metallica's working on their new album "St. Anger".

I swear on the bible, on my mother's grave or whatever - the following text is nothing less than the complete truth. This statement needs to be made, quite simply because you're probably not going to believe me. I almost wonder if I've really listened to the new Metallica album "St Anger" myself, or if somebody has been playing a trick on me and played me some new, exciting aggro-band. You see, "St. Anger" is a chock, one of music history's greatest! It is as if "Load" and "Reload" has been deleted from the map, as if the Black Album never existed, as if the Metallica we've come to know never really existed. The five songs (all of which are as of yet untitled but the title-track) I've heard exhibits a sound so EXTREME and raw that all you can do is sit there chocked with your jaw on the floor.

I'm not joking.

Twenty journalists are gathered in the control-room of the studio north of San Francisco. We get comfortable. The air is vibrating with excitement, and then? BAM!! The first song (working title: Frantic) kicks in with hypnotic, almost industrial Slayer-riffs. What the **** is going on? "You live it or lie it", chants James Hetfield and goes on with "my lifestyle determines my death style". It is ultra-tight metalcore like it has never been performed before. Lars ulrich's fat drum-sound is replaced with an oilrig-similar snare that's usually reminiscent of robotic industry-metal. "Do I have the strength?", a wondering Hetfield screams in the middle of the chaos. It is a maddening Blitzkriegstrategy with attack-waves of battering riffs, attacking from every angle for five minutes and 54 seconds.

I'm not joking.

The war as just begun, and I really mean THE WAR, because this music would be the perfect soundtrack to the media coverage of the war on Iraq. The title-track blazes away with a ultra-fast bulldozermosh that leaves Max Cavalera far behind. We are talking monster-metallized punk from another planet; a twisted and overdosed Dischange just released from rehab! We are talking beyond sound-speed, especially regarding the drum-work. The double-bass pounds away mercilessly and Lars Ulrich's use of the snare are almost -get this!- blast-beats!! It's going to be interesting seeing him trying to repeat this live - if the dane is usually soaked from sweat and carried to the lodge after traditional concerts, then he's going to need an oxygen-mask and hospital personnel to wake him back to life after this. Following this amazing intro comes a softer part where Hetfield sings "St. Anger around my neck, he never gets respect." This ten second long part, recurring a couple of times in the seven minute and 24 second long song, is the only part that could be classified as soft. The Producer Bob Rock (also on bass) assures me that this is the calmest, most stripped-down part on the whole album. WOW! A riff similar to "Creeping Death" follows. Hetfield howls "**** it all and ****ing no regrets" (an exact recapitulation of the classic in "Damage Inc."). Towards the end of the song he screams "I need to set my anger free"... and this is exactly what he and Metallica does: releasing all their anger.

I'm not joking.

Song number three starts up like an updated "Ride the Lightning": Mega-fat thrash-metal in midtempo speed. The vocalist spits: "It and you can look out mother*******, here I come!". Sepultura's "Roots"-era sound reminiscent in this song, with the refrain "It world" repeated again and again. Before the song ends at five minutes and 51 seconds, Hetfield shouts "enough, enough, enough"

I'm not joking.

Have you missed the complex song-structures of "And Justice for All"? Compared to this around eight minutes long piece (working title "Monster"), the songs of the 1988 album seem more like simple Ramones' ditties. A progressive blanket of sound that warms like a massive and super-intricate Tool, only a thousand times heavier! Hetfield chants over a delicious part that goes into what could be called a chorus with some use of fantasy: "We the people, are we the people?". This phrase is repeated two times and "some kind of monster" three times before the singer concludes "this monster lives". There is actually something here that could be called groove, not entirely unlike Pantera although vastly heavier. The guitars are so damned insane, so damned evil, so damned incredible! The fact is that there isn't anything remotely like a traditional guitar-solo in any of these five songs. Hetfield and Kirk Hammett use their instruments like surgical tools. The guitars shrieks and scream as if Tom Morello and Kerry King made a deal and decided to take the Devil's music not one but ten steps further.

I'm not joking.

The most wicked part is however the last, whose working-name is "All Within My Hands". A very strange piece with an instrumental intro of one minute and fifteen seconds. The tempo is ultra-fast, taking so many twists and turns that you get all dizzy. "All Within My Hands" is shouted and then sung in an Alice In Chains manner. And the ending? MAN OH MAN! Like a possessed madman Hetfield screams "Kill kill kill kill!!" ad absurdum - we're talking deranged shrieks coming from a psychopathic Tom Araya (think Slayer's "Kill Again" only even more insane). You'd think it was over after that. But no. It is like watching an exciting thriller with so many surprises that you finally don't believe an ending is forthcoming. Yes, after a heavy-as-lead finale it winds down at eight minutes and 55 seconds.

I'm not joking.

20 Journalists finally leave the control-room and look at each other. No one needs say anything; the looks say it all: What in god's name have we just experienced? That Metallica, once tired old farts, have made a complete 180, and now sound like a bunch of hormone-reeking bucks in heat, is the most incredible thing that's happened in music history. "St. Anger" is the real "Reload". "St. Anger" doesn't sound like anything the group has done before, it hardly even sounds like Metallica. "St. Anger" is a modern, super-brutal metal-album that is going to chock and knock the entire music world. Melodies? Nope, there's not much here that reminds one of traditional melodies or arrangements such as verse, bridge, chorus. The 10th of June could become known as the day that shook the world. If you haven't catched on yet:

I'm not joking.

Martin Carlsson
Untranslated Article (http://www.closeupmagazine.net./metallica.php)
I love Damage Inc., cool to hear it being referenced in a new song.

Darth Jax
03-31-2003, 02:45 PM
glad you're back JBF. hope you had a good time on spring break. somehow we managed to keep the thread alive without your informative posts.

i'd rank load/reload as the worst of metallica's albums. have to put ride the lightning as no. 1.

James Boba Fettfield
04-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Poor Axl, it's happening.

Multi-platinum Sony artists THE OFFSPRING are recording their new disc with producer Brendan O'Brien in Los Angeles The album is titled Chinese Democracy, which also happens to be the title of the long-awaited GUNS N ROSES album, currently in limbo. When reached for comment, The Offspring's front man/vocalist, Dexter Holland, said "You snooze, you lose." Holland further added, "Axl [Rose] ripped-off my braids, so I ripped-off his album title." Chinese Democracy, The Offspring's seventh album is scheduled for release in late spring. It follows Conspiracy of One, also produced by O'Brien.

The Offspring (http://www.theoffspring.com/forums/news.php?action=show&newsid=141)

Exhaust Port
04-03-2003, 11:35 AM
That's funny. :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-03-2003, 03:48 PM
They announced who's performing at the Icon show today. Avril Lavigne, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Sum 41 will be playing. I can only guess what idiots they will find to speak about Metallica. I've heard Korn play One before, and it sucked. I've heard Limp Bizkit play Master of Puppets before, and it sucked. I won't fathom what Avril and Sum will do to a Metallica song. I'm going to go cry now.

El Chuxter
04-03-2003, 04:40 PM
What, you don't want to hear Avril rocking out to. . . um. . . Whiplash? Or Dyer's Eve? :p

Hopefully she'll at least pronounce the name right.

James Boba Fettfield
04-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Ok you guys, I have a question about St. Anger. I have never bought a cd that is supposed to come with a bonus dvd before. Now, I was looking at Amazon, who I will probably order this cd from, and noticed the cd is #12 in their sales ranking. Now, the details for the cd doesn't mention the dvd being included with the album, and I am wondering if this is a common practice for Amazon not to list the bonus materials with cd's. I don't want to buy the album twice to get my hand on the dvd, so I want to get the first order right. I know, I know, I should make my way down to Best Buy the day it comes out, but the day St. Anger is being released I have college finals that week and I don't feel like making a trip anywhere and occupying my studying time with Metallica. I'd much rather have the album shipped to my home and have it waiting on me when I get back for the summer.

So, should I just wait until Amazon lists the dvd with the album to place my order, or should I just go ahead and place the order and hope to see the dvd added sometime? I just don't want to miss out on this dvd, since it might be limited to so many copies. Any help would be welcome.

Exhaust Port
04-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Be careful, sometimes Amazon sells CD's stripped down, ie without the extra disk. I've bought a disk only to see the disk+extra only pop up later. It could very well be that their St. Anger would include the bonus disk but I think it's worth a trip to the store just to insure you get what you want. Plus a lot of stores run some pretty good deals on new releases that Amazon can't beat.

James Boba Fettfield
04-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice, Exhaust. I think I'll just wait for a few more weeks and see what develops with Amazon.

El Chuxter
04-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Chances are Best Buy and Circuit City will sell it way cheaper than amazon anyway, but we won't find out for sure until they run their ads the Sunday before it's released.

James Boba Fettfield
04-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Yesterday we finished work on our tenth album (eighth studio album) titled "St. Anger." We are looking forward to sharing the new music with the world June 9th in Europe, June 10th everywhere else.

Produced by Bob Rock, the album was recorded at our San Rafael Headquarters. In addition to the eleven tracks on 'St. Anger,' the package will include a free DVD of live rehearsal recordings of all eleven songs, also captured at HQ.

Here are the eleven official song titles, clocking in at just over 75 minutes:

Frantic
St. Anger
Some Kind of Monster
Dirty Window
Invisible Kid
My World
Shoot Me Again
Sweet Amber
Unnamed Feeling
Purify
All Within My Hands

Artwork is now being finalized . . . details coming soon. Watch this space for more info . . .

Metallica (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=879)

jonboy
04-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Tycho, you are one of the few people that I have seen that likes Astronomy!!! Man, that is one of my favorite songs. Also, read my sig. Do you reconize it? I can agree that they are truly underrated. I thought that Slave to the Grind was their best album by far. I can't wait to hear Metallica's new album. They have bee my favorite band since the 8th grade!!! James Hetfield inspired me to play guitar. He is one of the most brilliant guitar players in history. In my opinion, he should actually be considered a co-lead guitarist as opposed to a rhythm player. The guy can finger pick with the best of them. He can also churn out lyrics that are both meaningful and inspiring. Man, it broke my heart when I heard that he went into rehab. It totally destroyed my image of him. He is still the king, but with a tarnished crown.

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Taken from blabbermouth.net nad brought to you summer concert fans in the North American area.

IRON MAIDEN, DIO, and MOT÷RHEAD will be teaming up for a two-month North American tour during July-September, reliable sources have informed BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Although no official word has yet come down on the matter, it is understood that MINISTRY and ANTHRAX are among the acts currently under consideration for the opening/support slots on the bill.

IRON MAIDEN have just completed work on the follow-up to 2000's "Brave New World" and are scheduled to embark on the European leg of their "Give Me EdÖ 'Til I'm Dead World Tour" in late May.
Excellent news, I say. Even though I probably won't spare my money to see them (sorry, but Metallica are the boys I want to see and I have limited funds), it's cool to see a big metal tour come out for the summer. Don't forget that Metal Gods Tour, either coming up soon.

As for Jimmy and his rehab, I respect him for doing it both times. He saved Metallica, his marriage, and his children's happiness by doing it. Taken from the magazine/paper VG on his second time to rehabilitation:

"I was drinking so much that I thought that Metallica would split," says James Hetfield in an exclusive interview with VG.

The Metallica frontman's personal crises topped itself when his wife threw him out of the house. "She refused me to see my kids, it was then I realized that something has to be done."

Hetfield wishes us welcome in the bands own studio, in north San Francisco where the band are finishing up the forthcoming album ST.ANGER, which is Metallica's eigth studio album. It will be released early in June, with 2 years delay because of Hetfield's heavy addictions to alcohol.

"I dont know which came first, the depression or the alcohol," says Hetfield. In June 2001 he seeked help. After 11 weeks in rehab, 2 years as a non alcoholic and regular talks with therapists, the heavy metal king is back, this time short clipped, a great tan and very optimistic.

"But before my life was very dark," says Hetfield. "I thought that rehab would not work for me, rehab is always the last way out of it, but everybody knows that the last way actually is suicide."

Bad Father

The band had recorded about 10 new songs when it became clear that Hetfield had big problems so the new album had to be put on ice for a while.

"I hurt myself physically, I was a bad father and a bad husband," says hetfield

He was also afraid that his place in Metallica was over, the same band he formed in 1981 with the Danish drummer Lars Ulrich. Metallica has won 6 grammys and have sold gold and platinum in more than 40 countries.

"I really started to be afraid that maybe I wasn't welcome back to the band anymore, by the other bandmembers, and I was very afraid that Metallica was dying."

Lived up to the myth

In his career Hetfield has broken his arms several times, put himself on fire, and had more than 150 stitches in his body.

"I was always only the singer in Metallica, I was never James Hetfield the husband and father," says Hetfield. "When I was together with my family I was ashamed of my band, and when I was with my band I was ashamed of my family life."

Hetfield says that his abuse started a long time ago, mostly because he didnt wanted to disappoint his fans.

"Fans I meet say: '****, you don't scream, headbang or anything like that' so I felt that I had to live up to this rockstar myth."

The Parents

Hetfield also says that his childhood with very very christian parents also had something to do with his drinking problems which got way over the line.

"I was that kind of guy that my folks never listened to at home, suddenly fans all over the world were listening to me from the stage."

In June Metallica will play at the Roskilde festival in Denmark, with their new bassist Robert Trujillo. But it took over six months after rehab before Hetfield could face his bandmates, Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich in the studio.

"We could have started earlier on the album, but I was terrified to meet people that I thougt could get me back to my abuse."

2-1B
04-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Oh come on Jaymz, just go out and buy the CD ! Be a good fan and do it - don't use "finals" as an excuse, I don't believe it for a second ! ! ! :crazed:

Ministry is playing here on April 19th, and a month later (May 18th) I can see Motorhead and Anthrax on the same bill . . . so I'm curious to see if they bring the bigger tour around here a few months later.

I'm not a Ministry fan, but I love Anthrax and I've seen them in concert only once. I like some Motorhead songs, but the one time I saw them live . . . I wasn't that thrilled.

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 02:30 PM
I will buy it, but I'm not buying it around here. Someone back home can pick it up for me, probably have the guy I'm going to SS with to pick me up a copy. This way I am ensured a cd/dvd, and I will not be distracted by the music to put off studying. I do that enough already without added distractions.

James Boba Fettfield
04-16-2003, 10:22 PM
The cover art by the great Pushead has finally been revealed to the public just a few short hours ago.

Allright, the *******cover art and new logo are done, baby! Check it out!!? What do you think? We are pretty ******* psyched. Pushead is back doing what he does best, 'TALLICA ****.
As we are speaking, the idea is to do a limited print run of 3 other color options for your choosing and viewing pleasure. We are still finalizing the exact specific details to this mulitple cover run. But we wanted to give you the visuals first, so hot off the press they are still sizzzzzling!
Click here for the new Metallica logo and the other color versions of the cover. (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=970)

jedicrippler
04-17-2003, 03:09 AM
Logo looks pretty good. Cover...interesting. Definitely better than Load & Reload. Hurm.:Pirate:

2-1B
04-17-2003, 03:18 AM
I don't like the new logo, it even makes me want the "ninja star" approach of the Load albums back ! :(
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the new logo was "cheap Cradle of Filth knockoff." :rolleyes:

The fist album cover looks kinda nifty, I guess that due to his sainthood, Anger has to tie down his . . . anger. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
04-17-2003, 03:55 AM
The hands look like the ones off that Sepultura album, whose name I cannot think of at the moment.

Exhaust Port
04-17-2003, 08:48 AM
I like it.

JediTricks
04-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Reminds me of one of those close-up shots from Ren & Stimpy. :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I thought it had that comic art look to it. Well, at least Pushead didn't put a skull on it, which he normally seems to include for the art he does.

Exhaust Port
04-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I got pretty sick of Pushead's work through the 80's. It was time he tried something new which he seems to have done 15 years later. :)

James Boba Fettfield
04-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Any of you guys see those commercials Mtv is airing for that Icon show? Some of them are a little weird, but the one Rob has about Cliff, very touching commercial. It was perfect how they had To Live Is To Die playing in it. Great commercial, and Mtv did something right.

Now for the laugh of the day. Remember how Avril will be on that show doing a song. Well, MTV2 revealed what song she'll be doing. Fuel, that's right, Fuel. She tried singing Chop Suey once, and we all know how that went. Here's to expecting Avril to replace a lyric in Fuel with something about a skater boy.

Darth Jax
04-23-2003, 09:08 PM
since i never watch mtv, haven't seen any of the commercials. guess i'll need to break down and flip it over on May 6, believe that's the air date of icon.

Exhaust Port
04-23-2003, 11:37 PM
May 6th or on the hour every hour for the next 3 months. I'm not going to worry about seeing it the initial day and just catch it on a repeat.

mabudonicus
04-27-2003, 01:24 AM
Motorhead, Dio, Maiden?!?!?!
HOLY #$%^!!!!!!!
Oh, there's hope yet....... It's 2 am and now I'm not sure I can sleep!!! That tour MUST hit Toronto, it MUST!!!!!
You didn't like Motorhead live Caesar?!?! What tour was it?? I swear, they are like the Rolling Stones times a MILLION, man, that is the first time I've ever heard a less-than-positive review of a Mortorhead show, I swear!!!!
Man, that show's gonna RULE!!!! (sorry, guys, I'm a really classic metal fan, I'm sure it seems crazy that I'd be more excited about such a concept than, say, a new Metallica album, but DIO and Lemmy on the same tour?!?!? :):):):))
\m/ :) \m/

James Boba Fettfield
04-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Whatever your taste of metal/rock, it's good mabudon. Just as long as you don't say anything about getting excited over a 50 Cent concert.

Darth Jax
04-27-2003, 09:58 PM
but i had tix to 50 cent, front row center. plus i'm so looking forward to a chance to see the backstreet boys or n*sync when next they come through town.

sorry there's only one tour i want to see this summer, or pretty much any summer - and that's the sanitarium. motorhead plays denver next week, but it's just lemmy and the boys not the full tour stop.

mabudonicus
04-29-2003, 02:17 AM
Jiminy, JBF, I totally misunderstood yer post...... not following popular music, I thought for a second you were slagging the old-school show as something that cost 50 cents.... it didn't make ANY sense..... Ahh, well, live and learn (I WISH tickets would be 50 cents, BTW)
You whippersnappers better watch all thet new-fangled lingo, it scares an old guy like me!!!

jedicrippler
04-29-2003, 03:13 AM
Hey JBF, Amazon's got St. Anger listed as including the DVD now. It still only says 1 disc, but it mentions the bonus DVD in the description. Thought I'd give ya a heads up.:)

James Boba Fettfield
04-29-2003, 05:55 AM
Thanks crippler. I'll have to check that out. I think the reason it says one disc is because it's rumored the thing will have audio on one side and the video will be on the other. That information came out of a foreign magazine, Aardshock maybe? Anyway, it was said by Lars, so we'll just have to wait and see what the deal with it is.
Mab, thanks for the laugh of the day. No way would I knock on the old school. Though I do feel ashamed knowing who 50 cent is.

scruffziller
04-29-2003, 08:21 AM
DO they all have the DVD? On Best Buy, they don't have that in the description, what's the deal?

James Boba Fettfield
04-29-2003, 09:49 AM
They probably don't have it listed because Metallica hasn't really given any official information about the release of it. When I contacted Amazon back when I was first asking about it, they told me that they had not been contacted by Electra about any bonus dvd. The thing isn't going to be out next week, so just sit back and wait until it's a little closer. Look forward to Headbanger's Ball on MTV2, that should tide us over. Unless it's filled with terrible garbage like Staind and Nickelback.

EDIT

Originally said by Lars Ulrich in Aardschok
...op de ene kant van de CD staat het album en op de andere kant staat een DVD waarop je ons alle nummers van het album live ziet spelen

Now uh, that probably means nothing to you guys. What that translates into is

Translation of what Lars said
on one side from the CD is the album and on the other side is a DVD where you can see us play all the songs from the album live

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Here's a quick trivia question, what do Metallica and Johnny Cash have in common? Well, besides their nicknames of the man in black and the boys in black, as of today there's going to be a common link between the two. Well, the answer is San Quentin State Prison. Metallica's shooting the video for St. Anger song there today, and to repay the prison for allowing them to use the place, they'll put on an hour long performance tomorrow. Anything to connect Metallica to the great Mr. Cash makes me a happy boy.

El Chuxter
04-30-2003, 10:48 AM
If Johnny Cash can put out one more CD, I really hope it's called American V: The Unforgiven and includes covers of "The Unforgiven" and "The Unforgiven II." The Man in Black could really do those songs justice. I remember hoping the "One" on American III was the Metallica song, but he did the U2 song proud anywho. :)

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2003, 10:57 AM
I believe Mr. Cash can do any song justice. Oh no, I've ruined the metal thread.

mabudonicus
04-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Naw, ya didn't ruin it at all, Johnny Cash is sort of like a Great Grandfather to a lot of the more "intelligent" metal/rock bands.... Motorhead wouldn't be the same without him, just for a start....
A LOT of my buddies love him, and his lyrics are appropriatley dark and witty, he kinda rules, even:)!!!

James Boba Fettfield
05-01-2003, 12:14 PM
As long as we all agree Mr. Cash is cool, that's great. Him and Waylon were always two favorites of mine. I'm turning this into the outlaws of country music thread.

Ok, back to some heavier stuff. There's a story (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=1021) with pictures of that video being shot from San Quentin.

Caesar, did you hear about Steve and Joe (Aerosmith) speaking at the Icon show? Perhaps we'll see Jaymz cry on screen after having one of his early idols speak in tribute to him. Good stuff.

James Boba Fettfield
05-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Well, I guess Steve and Joe had prior engagements like Slash did since he went to the Kentucky Derby, and thus could not be a part of the icon show. Too bad, would have been nice to see those guys there.

Darth Jax
05-06-2003, 10:07 PM
so iCon has come and gone. was fairly laughable right up to where metallica actually took the stage. their jam at the end makes the rest of the time i wasted watching it seem worthwhile. why do i have to wait til june 10, i want the new album NOW. why do i have to wait until august, i want summer sanitarium NOW.

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Sons of ******* cut out Frantic early on that show. Thanks empty tv, I mean MTV. I'm not sure what you're talking about fairly laughable? Because the performances were bad? Avril Lavigne's Fuel I didn't like. I did enjoy Limp Bizkit's Sanitarium, because you could tell they had been practicing for that one, unlike AVRIL! I was happy with Sum41, except for their vocal work on For Whom The Bell Tolls. Korn....I'm not sure about their cover. Those guys from Staind did alright, but they played an easy song. I mean, Nothing Else Matters, how can you mess that one up? But I loved Jim Breur's thing about Lars and James and how they sound. Anyway, I was glad to see Metallica honored at least, and Jason Newsted was everything but a jerk when discussing Metallica. Have to love him for that.

Now for the what the hell moment of the night, Snoop Dogg doing Sad But True? That made me laugh a lot. Still, glad to see him at least do some tribute to Metallica. So, that leaves me with saying June 10 will prove that Metallica are still the Bay Area Thrashers from the 1980's.

Darth Jax
05-06-2003, 10:25 PM
it segued from bad - avril - to worse with snoop. with the exception of mtv's own mr. robinson none of those that spoke deserved the airtime. come on lisa marie, michelle branch. bizkit's rendition was good, the made the song their own. korn tried but failed. the bit by jim was really good, i'll admit.

anyone that's seen behind the music or any other special on metallica had already seen all the filler with the exception of new soundbites thrown in from the band. what a moment for rob, to basically debut with the band when they're being 'honored' by mtv for their lifetime achievements in metal.

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Iann Robinson didn't deserve to be there. He's a I'll smile to your face, but talk **** behind your back kind of guy. He didn't need to be there. I don't feel bad about Branch and Presley being there, because they just introduced those mini video biographies. Sean Penn, I couldn't think of a better celebrity to introduce Metallica for their appearance. I agree about your thing saying the special was all filler. You could see they took most of that video from the Year and Half videos, the Cliff 'Em All video, Cunning Stunts, Live ****, etc. Ha ha, that's where most of the archived video from Behind the Music came from, too. I wish Jasonic could have been there to say something personally, too bad. Same thing for Dave Mustaine.

It was also nice seeing those Icon videos stop right at the Black Album, and forgetting the last ten years. Good job, Mtv. Oh, and also good job of mentioning Cliff Burton for what....3 seconds? Well, it was Mtv, so I guess it's better than what they usually do.

Exhaust Port
05-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Why did they have to fade to credits during the final song of the show?!?! Man, that was sounding real good.

I was flipping around so I only caught a bit of the total show. Bruher was pretty funny. Most of the introductions were freakin' awful. Bizkit wasn't as bad as I imagined but I didn't care for that "say what I say" stuff that Fred seems to do quite a bit of. Now I missed all the really bad cover bands with my flipping so I can't give my throughts on them but I'm sure I won't ever lose sleep over missing them.

I know we talked about this before but why couldn't MTV have a true tribute show and not this showcase for fading bands hoping to revive their careers? If this was a true tribute show it should be hosted by, and feature bands that are around as a result of Metallica's influence. Heck even fellow 80's metal acts who helped form the metal scene are fitting. Slayer? Pantera? Biohazard? Anthrax?

Instead we are now left with this "gem." Years from now when a review of Metallica's career is taken we'll come across this event. It will provide nothing to the understanding of why Metallica was/is considered an icon/influence in metal or music for that matter. Instead, it'll be a battle for the viewer just to figure out who the people are that are on stage or giving the introductions.

At least they're bringing back Headbangers Ball. To bad it's on M2 and I'll never see it.

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2003, 11:01 PM
It's just Mtv's way of jumping on the St. Anger bandwagon, EP. Everyone knows this album is highly anticipated, man. Mtv is just doing their part to cash in on it as much as possible. That's why they could put together a terrible show, because they knew the fans would watch, I proved that. I'll say Sum41's been fans of Metallica, and other bands like Iron Maiden. Avril, she admitted she didn't listen to them until just recently. I have no idea about Korn and Limp.

Ha ha, Slayer and Pantera together with Metallica? Woah no, man. Put Megadeth and Dream Theater in their place. Bands that have been influenced and were heavily influenced by the actions of Metallica. Metallica doesn't need the negative talkers of Metallica at a tribute for them.

As for this event being remembered years from now, maybe a small mention. I'd like to think they would focus more on their ability to survive everything that's been thrown at them and keep coming out stronger in the end.

2-1B
05-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Yeah, that would be funny to have actual heavy metal bands there to pay tribute to a former metal band. ;)

Tyler and Perry weren't there? Oh well, I'll see them a few times this summer. :crazed:

I've not yet watched the Icon show but the thought of Snoop Dogg playing Sad But True sounds pretty damn cool compared to the offerings of LimpCornBiscuits, Staind, Sum 41, yawn, yawn, etc.

Besides, surely it can't be worse than Kid Rock's version of American Badass Sad But True, can it ? :crazed:

I heard something about Kelly Osbourne doing a testimonial?
That sounds great. :rolleyes:

:D

Rogue II
05-07-2003, 06:45 AM
I missed the first half hour of the show, but saw the rest of it. You gotta love how Snoop Dogg ended Sad But True with "Bee-otch!!" I actually like Korn better than Limp Bizkit. Or is it the other way around? Aren't they pretty much the same band?:crazed:

Unless the guy from Staind has some sort of handicap, he has to be the laziest dude in music--ever. Every time I've seen him, he's sitting.

I heard Headbanger's Ball was coming back...but as my brother said...besides Metallica, what other "headbanging" bands are going to be on the show? Will they just flood it with Staind, Limp Bizkit, and Korn?

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Kelly Osbourne was there, but she didn't do a testimonial on the show. Really, no one did any testimonials.

Exhaust Port
05-07-2003, 08:53 AM
They have about 7 years worth of making up to do since HBB left the air. Once they get through that catalog of forgotten videos they can start on the new crap (ie Limp Biscuit). How about some COC or Ministry videos please. :)

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 09:52 AM
I won't say they won't play those music videos, but I have seen them air harder stuff during their extreme rock music videos, but Mtv2 usually shows that in the very early morning hours. I have hope, though. I mean, the original Headbanger's Ball had some crap on there, too.

Exhaust Port
05-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Yes it did. The left overs from the 80's hair bands still left their mark.

El Chuxter
05-07-2003, 12:23 PM
That was the lousiest tribute possible! :mad:

The stand-up guy (can't think of his name) was pretty funny. The hosts were odd choices. Lisa Marie Presley? If she was honest, she'd say that she's not worthy to lick the dirt from Metallica's shoes. Gillian Barberi? She should've finally admitted she's a weird genetic experiment to create something more annoying than Gilbert Gottfried and Carrot Top combined.

And why have Rob Zombie and Michelle Branch speaking (briefly) but not performing? At least they're talented. The thought of Rob tearing through "Master of Puppets" makes me giddy. And Michelle could've done "Nothing Else Matters" better than Staind. It would've been different, at least, which is most of the fun of a cover version.

Of all the musical acts, Staind was the best, and their performance was bland. Korn sounded like they maybe could've done okay on another song (something from Reload would probably suit their style better).

Snoop Dogg sounded like "Sad But True" would've been decent if he'd rapped rather than trying to sing. He can't carry a tune to save his life! When will he realize he's become one of the biggest jokes in the music business?

Limp Bizkit. What can I say? In the 80s, poser bands wore spandex and played keytars. Now they wear shorts and caps and spin turntables. Any band that has a DJ as a "musician" is not metal in my book. Doesn't mean they can't be good, just that they're not metal. Period. End of discussion.

Avril Lavigne. Wow. Impressive. I didn't know it was possible to screw up a cover that badly. Although she annoys me with her pseudo-punk posturing, I was more looking forward to her performance than the other covers, since it at least had the potential to be unique. I knew from her flubbing the first line that it would suck, and it did. And was it just me, or did she sing, "Fudge 'em, man"?

My fiancee had me watching American Idol before this, and I wish the judges from that show had been on hand:

RANDY: Avril, Avril, Avril. What up? Dog, you tried to make it your own, but I just wasn't feeling it. I dunno, I think you're out of your league here.
PAULA: Avril, you know I'm a fan, and you're beautiful. The nine-year old look works for you, and it's so cute how you referred to "James Hatford." But this wasn't your night. I'm sorry.
SIMON: Dreadful. Absolutely pathetic. If I had a gun, I'd shoot you for doing that, then shoot myself so I don't have to live with the memory of that performance. [to stage manager] Are there any rabid, starved bears back there? Good. Release the bears.

Also, it looked to me that, despite his comments to the contrary, James thought the covers (especially Avril) were bad. I could swear he was mouthing, "God, this is awful" during her performance. At least Lars enjoyed it.

The Marine thing was stupid. "It's cool to kill people while listening to a song about the horrors of war." :rolleyes:

The boys, of course, rocked. I think that performance made up for the travesty of a mockery of two shams that preceded it. The medley was incredible, and Trujillo definitely belongs up there. The St Anger song ruled. If that's any indication, this could easily be the best Metallica album yet. Too bad those idiots at MTv cut to credits halfway during it. :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm telling, Mtv brought out the people who are famous at the time, and they have them do the covers. Lars so much as admitted that on the Metallica message boards. He said how fans were complaining about the choices of bands for the show, and Lars said that if they knew half of the groups Mtv proposed, they would be happy with who was selected.

Rob Zombie do Master of Puppets.....That seems wrong. Still, I'm surprised more people are not upset over the lack of Cliff Burton. They had a commercial that gave more props to Burton than that entire show did.

I hate to say it, but it felt to me like Mtv was abusing Metallica's popularity. Iann Robinson, the soldiers (who I respect, but still, it was a Metallica tribute show), the hosts, performers who didn't know Metallica, etc. Mtv dropped the ball on this show. They leave in the segment on American soldiers, but they felt it necessary to cut out the Beavis and Butt-Head segment? Please empty tv, next time you want to abuse the boys in black for your own agenda, at least allow Metallica more than 9 minutes of performance time! God damn, you gave Aerosmith a chance to play their set and say thanks and good night for their Icon show! That's what happens though, during the musicless 2 years we'll abandon Metallica, but the moment they start rolling again it's time to get all over them. Let's just hope Headbanger's Ball being hosted by Metallica is a lot better than this.

Exhaust Port
05-07-2003, 03:18 PM
What about the band Apocalyptica!!! Talk about Metallica's influencing people across the musical spectrum. Those 4 guys running through Welcome Home on Cello's would have been freakin' awesome.

Metallica, especially Lars, looked up to the bands of the NWOBHM. Why not get one of those bands to make an appearance and give the thumbs up to Metallica's legacy. Have Killing Joke play "The Wait" with Metallica? Diamond Head doing Helpless or Am I Evil? Awesome.

Let's make a list of bands that would have made for better hosts and acts than what MTV put together:

Black Sabbath or any member of
Danzig
Motorhead
The surviving members of Queen
Rob Zombie
Spinal Tap, just so they could comment on the "Black Album."
Dave Mustaine
Anthrax

who else?

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Dream Theater, I mean they have turned many of their shows into straight up covers of the entire Master of Puppets album and they pull it off. Can't expect them not to, what with Petrucci and Portnoy, two of the greatest musicians alive.

EP, your list needs more people who look up to Metallica as Icons, not who Metallica thinks are Icons. Though it's a better idea than what was offered last night.

Exhaust Port
05-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I always thought it to be a better tribute to have your peers recognize the impact you've had. Who better to acknowledge that you've reached Icon status than fellow Icons.

James Boba Fettfield
05-08-2003, 05:15 AM
I meant that's what the theme of the Mtv Icon show is supposed to be. The show is supposed to show how Metallica has impacted artists after them, though in the age of 50 cent and Justin Timberlake, perhaps the only justifiable thing to do would be to show the groups Metallica has looked up to and how they feel about Metallica.

scruffziller
05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Avril is just sad.

James Boba Fettfield
05-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Did anyone catch Headbanger's Ball? Not to turn this into a Headbanger's Ball discussion or anything but they played some real metal. The likes of Hatebreed, Shadows Falls, ZW's Black Label Society, Metallica (of course), Suicidal Tendencies. Of course, they did play some lesser heavy stuff, like Staind and Disturbed, but overall, they actually played metal and I'm looking forward to next week's episode being hosted by Rob Zombie.

Rogue II
05-11-2003, 03:58 PM
I saw some of it. I had it on in the background. After it was over, they had the "Headbanger's Ball Uncensored" which was a documentary. They started with Dee Snider and Metal Mania and went from there. I missed the end of it.

JediTricks
05-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Dagnabit! I totally forgot, I was playing GTA Vice City too intently that night. :mad: I really need to write this stuff on the back of my hand. :crazed:

Darth Jax
05-12-2003, 09:28 PM
some of us don't have the opportunity to witness the rebirth of HBB. mtv2 or any of the other myriad music channels don't exist in my world.

Exhaust Port
05-13-2003, 08:54 AM
I feel your pain Darth Jax. The only time I've ever had something on my cable channels other than MTV or VH1 was when one channel carried MuchMusic from Toronto for 3 hours a day. It was brief but they showed some great videos.

I've been to Toronto recently and got the opportunity to watch MuchMusic again. Since it was locally shown here 5 years ago the channel definately has changed. It's not nearly as good as it had been when I first saw it. MM is slowing becoming another MTV sadly.

James Boba Fettfield
05-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Don't worry, I'll be right along with you guys when I'm back home for the summer where Mtv2 doesn't exist.

James Boba Fettfield
05-13-2003, 08:57 PM
I just found out that Zombie will be hosting the next 3 Headbangers Ball. Maybe they'll have a set he can spend time painting again for years.

Sidenote, that Stillborn video he directed for BLS was kick ***, to say the least.

Darth Jax
05-13-2003, 09:06 PM
i supposed i could have mtv2 if i wanted to fork out the nearly $100 a month for digital cable. but since i get basic for free, just not willing to do it. money that can be spent on toys.

mabudonicus
05-15-2003, 12:55 PM
MuchMusic has been getting worse for years, but lately the "Power Hour" (minus the PEPSI) has been running on Much MORE music, the cable companion... on tuesday they showed a Tesla video, and a couple weeks ago there was an episode with both "smokin in the boys room" and saxon's "denim and Leather"... if only they'd show some MANOWAR videos it'd be the GREATEST!!!!!

James Boba Fettfield
05-15-2003, 01:01 PM
Wow, Saxon on tv. That would be different.

James Boba Fettfield
05-15-2003, 11:08 PM
I just read Mr. Cash's wife died. Sad for the man in black, let's just hope death doesn't take Johnny soon, too. RIP June, you were a good wife to Johnny.

Exhaust Port
05-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Does this mean that his music will turn DARK? Oh wait.... ;)

El Chuxter
05-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Rest In Peace, June Carter Cash. :cry:

scruffziller
05-16-2003, 12:45 PM
I have yet to see the ICON and I am almost, no I am scared to. I caught a part of it somewhere, it was Avril doing FUEL and just her voice speaking those scriptures of metal blasphemed beyond recognition.

Rogue II
05-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, if you're scared, just try to catch the last 10-15 minutes. That way you miss all of the "tribute" part of the show and just see Metallica perform. It is all you really need to see.

James Boba Fettfield
05-16-2003, 04:29 PM
When I watch his video to Hurt now, it's sad seeing her in there. I've done it again, the Johnny Cash thread.

James Boba Fettfield
05-16-2003, 07:41 PM
I suggest you all watch this streaming video. (http://mcms-delivery.virtuebroadcasting.com/deliverMedia.asp?id=3B1BBDD1-5802-428F-B001-8875EFBCE65E) Lots of good stuff in there.

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2003, 06:12 AM
Well, Metallica played a live show last night in support of their upcoming release. The list of what was played included:

Hit The Lights
The Four Horsemen
Harvester Of Sorrow
(Welcome Home) Sanitarium
Frantic
Sad But True
Phantom Lord
No Remorse
Leper Messiah
Fade To Black
Master Of Puppets
Damage Inc.
-------------
(first encore)
Ride The Lightning
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Blackened
-------------
(second encore)
Last Caress
Am I Evil?
Motorbreath

Maybe it's a sign of what's to come in the future or maybe the kind of sounds the band wants to get back to. All I can say is, no Enter Sandman, thank the maker. But somehow, I don't see these sounds sitting well with the kids during the SS2003 shows. Then again, I'd be happy if they stuck with this set list.

Darth Jax
05-19-2003, 01:37 PM
i'd take that set list for SS. although i'd replace sad but true with battery. that song rocks live.

El Chuxter
05-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Not sure if this is old news and/or just rumor, but I heard on the radio the other day that Scott Weiland will be the lead singer for "The Project" (which has a new name according to the DJ, but I can't think of what it is). Also, it only mentioned "former Guns n Roses members Duff McKagen, Matt Sorum, and Slash." Is Scott in and Izzy out, or is this a load of bantha poodoo?

I would've much preferred Sebastian Bach. :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
05-19-2003, 03:58 PM
I was at metal sludge a few days back after Caesar mentioned it to me to check out another item, and I came across this:

A spokesperson for ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash has refuted published reports that STONE TEMPLE PILOTS frontman Scott Weiland has been officially named the singer of the new project featuring Slash and fellow ex-Gunners Matt Sorum (drums) and Duff McKagan (bass).

"Scott is not in the band," Slash spokesperson Arlett Vereecke told MTV.com. "The management set up [a live presentation for film studios in April] as a way to get the guys in the recording studio again, to have something going until they decide on a vocalist."

"It's pretty darn close," McKagan said. "We kind of set ourselves up for the right singer to come along, and I think so far this is good. It's a step in the right direction [doing these songs] with Scott."

Despite reports that Weiland is now the band's singer and has signed a contract, sources close to the group told MTV that there is no contract and that he can't be confirmed as the frontman until he resolves his rehab issues, an ongoing source of frustration for the band.

As previously reported, the band recently contributed an original song titled "Set Me Free" to "The Hulk" soundtrack to go with the already announced cover of PINK FLOYD's "Money" for the soundtrack to director F. Gary Gray's upcoming remake of the 1969 British crime comedy "The Italian Job".

Though they may be listed in the credits for the upcoming "The Italian Job" credits as THE PROJECT, an official name is still being chosen, Slash's spokesperson said. The bandmembers are scheduled to meet Friday to discuss what to call themselves for "The Hulk" track. The group's contributions will not appear on soundtracks, Vereecke said.

"The Italian Job" opens May 30, and "The Hulk" comes out June 20.

Darth Jax
05-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Weiland was arrested again over the weekend. routine traffic stop, except he had drugs in the car. big surprise there.

on a side note, picked up the new Anthrax disc. have only listened once, but i liked what i heard. Dimebag does some guest guitar work on a couple of tracks.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 10:16 AM
I liked the new Anthrax album, but I've been giving too much attention to the Blessed Hellride. Maybe in a few days I'll give it more listening time.

Um...just to clear up some details from earlier about the St. Anger album:

From metallica.com
We are mere weeks away from the release of St. Anger, and we have some updates. St. Anger will be a 2-disc set (CD of music, DVD of rehearsals) packaged in a tri-fold digipack. Included in the digipack will be a 4-color, 28 page booklet with lyrics, a sneak peak at the Metallica video game currently in development (scheduled to be released late 2004/early 2005), and your link to some other Met goodies on the web. The album will now feature only one cover (4 covers? What were we thinking?!?!?).

The first song to go on the radio will be the title track, St. Anger. The video for St. Anger (filmed in the BIG HOUSE) will make it's debut later this month, the same day we put music in those radio guy's hands.

St. Anger hits the streets all around the world next month . . . in Australia, most of Europe, and South America on June 9, North America on June 10, and in Japan on June 11. We'll keep giving you little teasers all this month .

The ongoing rumor right now is that the single and video will be heard and seen next Tuesday. I hope it's true. One other thing, the cover art and such can be seen in better detail in the following attachment.

EDIT-I just heard an mp3 of the first 59 seconds of the song St. Anger. It starts off with a lone guitar chugging away for around 10 seconds, and then in comes the drumming (very weird sound they have), then the full force comes on with some, no, lots of speed. Wow! Then Hetfield yells about his world shaking like an earthquake. Then there's a line about not being able to see clear, then he repeats "I'm madly in anger with you!" three times. Then the clip ends. I ask you, where did the Load sound go, because it's not sounding like St. Anger will have any of it.

Edit #2-Ok, I just heard a 30 some second clip of Some Kind of Monster. I think that's where the Load sound went.....

Exhaust Port
05-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Well, my interest is building for this album!

2-1B
05-22-2003, 03:00 AM
I really hate those digipaks. :mad:

They LOOK cool and all, but I hate having to be so careful with them . . . I usually store the discs in a separate jewel case to preserve the original packaging.

I'm the same way with DVDs, they have some cool cardboard packages but they are way too fragile. :(

El Chuxter
05-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Justin Guarini (last year's American Idol runner-up and all-around joke) announced yesterday on the radio that his album comes out June 10. The DJ thinks it will be number one.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

That's the funniest thing I've heard since the Eternal Padawan mentioned "X-Men continuity."

:Pirate:

James Boba Fettfield
05-22-2003, 12:21 PM
I was going over the set lists dating from January's AFC Championship parking lot performance, to the San Quentin jail show, then to the Icon performance, and the the first 3 of 4 free Fillmore Shows. There's another final Fillmore performance tonight, but judging by the repeated songs, I think the metal is more dominant than ever in Metallica's name. The numbers don't lie people, Metallica's been practicing for the touring they'll be doing for SS2003 and European festivals, and the following world tour which will have them coming back to the North American side roughly next Februrary. They wanted to get down 40 songs so they could mix up set lists so everyone got a little something different at each show, and, once again, the numbers don't lie. From January until now, this is what songs and how many times that have been performed live:

Kill ĎEm All
Hit the Lights (Four Times)
The Four Horsemen (Two Times)
Phantom Lord (Two Times)
No Remorse (Three Times)
Motorbreath (Two Times)
Whiplash
Seek and Destroy (Four Times)
Ride The Lightning
Fade to Black (Three Times)
Ride the Lightning (Four Times)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Four Times)
Creeping Death (Three Times)
Fight Fire With Fire
Master Of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (Three Times)
Leper Messiah (Four Times)
Master of Puppets (Five Times)
Damage Inc. (Three Times)
The Thing That Should Not Be (Two Times)
Battery (Five Times)
. . . And Justice For All
Harvester of Sorrow (Four Times)
Blackened (Five Times)
One (Three Times)
Metallica
Enter Sandman (Two Times)
Sad But True (Four Times)
Load
No songs from this album
Reload
Fuel (Three Times)
St. Anger
Frantic (Five Times)
St. Anger (Two Times)
Cover Songs
Last Caress
Am I Evil?
So What
Breadfan (Two Times)
Die, Die My Darling
Blitzkrieg

Those song tally marks will increase a bit more once the final set list is released tomorrow morning for tonight's show, but only one song from the Load albums has been performed live. The cover songs aren't a surprise. Now, look at the Black Album offerings, two songs? Enter Sandman having only been played once for the San Quentin inmates and the other time being played only a short bit as part of a medley. I think Metallica might be trying to tell us something by playing these older songs.

EDIT-

The St. Anger video that was filmed at San Quentin State Prison will be unleashed to the world on Tuesday May 27th. Metallica and directors the Malloy Brothers spent 18 hours at the 'BIG HOUSE' last month to film the title track. The video was shot with the band performing at various locations throughout the compound. From outside, during the prisoners lunch break, to inside the cell block. This video is truly unique...

MTV2 will debut the video at Noon (12 pm EST) and air it every hour on the hour for 24 hours. The video will then premiere on MTV at 11:30 pm EST immediately following "Jackass." In addition to the video, the title track, St. Anger, will also drop like a ton of bricks in your favorite radio station's lap Tuesday. Over and out.

It looks like those single date rumors turned out to be true. So keep Tuesday open.

scruffziller
05-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Wal Mart has that big billboard on their theif detector advertising the album for preorder.........pathetic of them.

James Boba Fettfield
05-25-2003, 08:36 AM
I just got ahold of two bootlegged songs from Metallica's Thursday night performance. Granted, these aren't the best quality, but you can still tell what the songs sound like. The songs are Frantic and St. Anger, which they play the full versions of. Frantic is about 6 minutes of repetition. If you guys saw the bit they performed on MTV Icon at the end, it's that, repeated about 3 times. There is no solo, and the hardly any changes in the music. It's got a part towards the end of the song where they go into something new, but still, I'm reminded of repetition. Maybe a solo could have helped, maybe not. It's definitely heavy. A good song, but I didn't think it was Metallica's greatest.

Now to the song I love, St. Anger. This song starts off guitar chugging solo, then everything else kicks in. Lars has double bass, note the double bass. Then it goes into this melodic part about one minute in where James sings: St. Anger round my neck, St. Anger round my neck, He never gets respect, St. Anger round my neck. This is repeated, and in between the line St. Anger/He never parts, the phrase "You flush it out, you flush it out" is said. Then it gets back into the heavy part of the song. It reminds me of Damage Inc. so much when I listen to this, but I'm not sure why. They go back and do that melodic part again in the song. Overall, I love St. Anger and want to hear the cd version!

Is the music heavy, yes. Well, it's hard for me to say. It's definitely faster than what the Loads had. It's not No Leaf Clover or Minus Human. There are no solos on this album, but the overall sound of the music is like Metallica decided to listen to the Master of Puppets album and the And Justice For All album and write follow ups to them. Mind you, this is just based on Frantic and St. Anger. It's the Puppets speed, and it has the Justice heaviness. I think the people who were looking for this music in the mid 90's from Metallica, will finally find it in the year 2003. I just hope the remaining songs keep up this level of quality.

James Boba Fettfield
05-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Ha ha, I just heard the St. Anger studio edited single off some radio station in Chile! Wow, I love this song after hearing what it sounds like off the record. The drums still sound different, though, but it had to do with Lars turning off some mics that recorded his drums, but can't remember what ones. Anyway, great song! There's the f bomb in it quite a few times! It's good to hear Hetfield swear again. Wow, I love this song. "Medallion noose, I hang myself, St. Anger 'round my neck!" I can't wait to see the prison video for this tomorrow and hear this single get the radio play it deserves. Goodbye White Stripes and Vines with bad sounding Hives, your lousy music will make way for St. Anger, because he's coming and he's angry as hell!

EDIT-I just had a copy of this radio streamed song sent to me by a fellow Metallica fan, and it is not edited in anyway. So I guess the Chile station is playing something else, and not the 5 minute shortened version.

Tycho
05-27-2003, 02:53 AM
I've been out of the Metallica thread loop for a little while, but I poked in and now you've got me all excited to hear St. Anger!

I don't know if the radio's playing it here because quite frankly I've been listening to that Tool-Saliva-Creed-Papa Roach-Nickleback CD mix I burned about a month ago, and between that and "Meteora" from Linkin Park, I haven't turned my radio on at all.

I have been listening to the Black album from Metallica though.

I also am planning to make some Metallica compilation CD's with similar songs - like war songs, "Aint my B-tch Songs," drifter songs, etc. I'll list the tracks when I decide on the arrangements.

However, now I'll delay that while I have something new to listen to, "until it sleeps."

Thanks for the update. You're my "Hero of the Day."

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2003, 05:21 AM
Stations start playing the new single today, so you haven't missed it. You could probably find the song for download (oh my gosh!) if you wanted to hear it. If you need any help, just let me know.

scruffziller
05-27-2003, 10:13 AM
I just heard St. Anger on the radio. Uhm............
It was a letdown.:cry:

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2003, 10:41 AM
To each their own, scruff.

EDIT-On a side note, I just saw the music video for St. Anger. They do shorten the song, but the overall premise of the video is excellent. It's not like One or anything, but I'm loving it.

mabudonicus
05-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Still waiting, I'll check in with my 2 Canadian cents in a bit, the clip I've heard sounded pretty good, though..

scruffziller
05-27-2003, 01:19 PM
To each their own, scruff.

That is the problem, I wanted to like it.........:cry: :cry: :dead:

I might still in the future, I plan to still buy the album.

James Boba Fettfield
05-27-2003, 01:46 PM
You're not alone scruff, a lot of people aren't digging the song well. They fault it for not having a traditional guitar solo to it, the repetive lyrics and how it feels like they stretched a 3 minute song into a 7 minute song, etc. Of course, if you didn't like the repeating sounds of St. Anger, then there's slim hope for liking Frantic.

scruffziller
05-27-2003, 02:27 PM
then there's slim hope for liking Frantic.

Yea I was hoping for that.

DarthChuckMc
05-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I hope the rest of the album is better than the title track....I just saw the video, and....I'm at a loss for words......I hate to say something sucks, but man........ehhh....I'll just say I really don't like it.
I'm glad it's heavy and growly, but it's not doing nothin' for me. They should've picked something else for a single, because this song isn't going to bring back the masses that left after the Black album.

Tycho
05-28-2003, 03:06 AM
OK, I've liked probably everything Metallica has ever done, and I'm a long time fan, right?

So when "And Justice for All" came out, was it different from Ride the Lighting (one of my top favorites) or Master of Puppets?

Yup.

It didn't have the higher guitar riffs I liked, such as the lead guitars in Sanatarium or Fade to Black, etc. (well, "One" did that nicely, but most of Justice started sounding grundgy to me).

Then did I really start to like it? Yeah. I got used to it.

Then Black, Load, Re-Load, and Garage II came along, and were they different? Better believe it!

Did I listen to them and give it a chance for a while and then really start to like it?

"I'm Bleeding Me" is like one of the most kick-butt songs ever recorded!

So while I've heard nothing from St. Anger yet, and don't expect much, given what I've heard here, I'll give it time to get used to it.

Why?

1) Is it because I sell out to something just because it has the Metallica label on it? "Gee, I wonder what they could do with 'The Barney Song' "

I'll give it a chance because the chances I'd like this are a lot greater than me getting into an N'Sync record because it IS a band that I've appreciated a lot in my past.

2) Is it because first impressions are always correct impressions?

I didn't like Episode One the first time I saw it and debated viewing the back-to-back second show I'd bought a ticket for. But I went. And I'm one of the largest Episode One fans on this site (mind you I like every other SW movie better, but I still like Phantom).

So if I don't like St. Anger the first few days I hear it, I'll tell you guys, but I'll wait and see how I feel about it after listening for a week.

FINALLY, I don't like repetative music. I like music where the lyrics have meaning and move you through an emotion in a song. A huge Queensryche fan, you know what I mean.

From Metallica, "Dyer's Eve" was one such example.

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2003, 05:44 AM
I have hope for the album. The guy who runs www.metallicasucks.com said he would buy the album after listening to it.

But this is really like what happened when Until It Sleeps was released. People asked what the hell is this crap? I asked that, too. I like the song now, though. It happened when I Disappear got leaked. What the hell is this? But, I'm happy with the single and I think I'll enjoy the rest of the album. I'll investigate further as to what more reasons are why people don't like this song, but I can't say I didn't expect to see this sort of thing happen.

scruffziller
05-28-2003, 07:43 AM
I have hope for the album. The guy who runs www.metallicasucks.com said he would buy the album after listening to it.

But this is really like what happened when Until It Sleeps was released. People asked what the hell is this crap? I asked that, too. I like the song now, though. It happened when I Disappear got leaked. What the hell is this? But, I'm happy with the single and I think I'll enjoy the rest of the album. I'll investigate further as to what more reasons are why people don't like this song, but I can't say I didn't expect to see this sort of thing happen.

Yea I have to agree. I always liked Until It Sleeps, but I Disappear had to grow on me, maybe St. Anger will too.

Exhaust Port
05-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Even the guy at Metallicasucks seems to like St. Anger. That's a good sign.

El Chuxter
05-28-2003, 11:48 AM
I heard St Anger (the song) a few times on the radio yesterday and I must say I love it! (Of course, Until It Sleeps always was a fave of mine, so what do I know?)

2-1B
05-28-2003, 01:26 PM
I loved "Until It Sleeps" the first time I heard it, the rest of the album is what caused me pain . . .

James Boba Fettfield
05-28-2003, 03:31 PM
You know what's funny about St. Anger. Yesterday on TRL it was the #1 video, but they couldn't technically play since it was not even playing on MTV yet. Carson said that metal heads would be proud to know what band it was, but that they'd have to wait until tomorrow, which is today.

Now before you ask why I watched TRL, it's because I knew a lot of fans had been voting on that video at Mtv's site to be on TRL, so I watched to see if it would make the countdown. I'm expecting it to be played as #1 today. About time rock came back to the masses.

EDIT-Well, I watched it today. There was no Carson on the show, and St. Anger was not on the countdown. What happened, I don't know, but I really wanted to see a group of 40 year old men's music video get played for the audience, then I could hear it being booed as it played. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. Stupid Kelly Clarkson and poser Good Charlotte music videos.

Emperor Howdy
05-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Well.....heard St. Dumbger today. The beginning is killer, until the vocals and bridge ruins it. They tease you with old school Metallica, then......

Exhaust Port
05-29-2003, 12:38 AM
The one thing I've learned about listening to music is never go on your first reaction/instinct. I won't be making a final call on this album until I've given it a few dozen spins in the CD player. Bring it on.

James Boba Fettfield
05-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Oh my gosh, it's Howdy!

scruffziller
05-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Saw the video on www.launch.com (http://www.launch.com). The song seems cooler to the vid. Man they took a big chance doing that in that prison. There u go JBF, you should have commited a serious crime so you could have went to SQ to see M up close and personal. Lucky convys!!!!:frus:

Rogue II
05-30-2003, 07:31 AM
I just found this article on Yahoo

Hard Rockers Metallica Get Touchy-Feely
By Dean Goodman

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - After two decades as one of the biggest hard rock bands in history, the members of Metallica (news - web sites) took the most radical step of their career.

They sat down a few years back and got to know each other.

With the band teetering on the brink, the staunch defenders of bone-crunching heavy metal brought in a therapist who inspired them to share their feelings, hug each other and even resolve issues going back to their childhoods.

Such heartwarming moments play out on "Oprah" every other day, but Metallica didn't sell 80 million records by adopting a warm, cuddly persona. The band became huge through grim anthems like "Creeping Death" and "Seek & Destroy." Onstage, it projected invincibility, pummeling fans with symphonic power.

"St. Anger" (Elektra), Metallica's first studio album since 1997's "Re-Load," set for release the week of June 9, reveals a vulnerable side to the newly enlightened musicians, says drummer Lars Ulrich.

To fans who might worry that the band has lived too long in the liberal bastion of San Francisco, Ulrich told Reuters: "If people don't like the fact that that's what it is now, then at least respect it and then walk away from it gracefully."

That's what bass player Jason Newsted did in early 2001. He stunned the group by quitting after 14 frustrating years during which he was prevented from working on outside projects and also bullied by bandmates grieving his predecessor, Cliff Burton, who died in a 1986 tour bus crash.

"RADICAL CHANGE"

"In retrospect, it's amazing that he lasted 14 years," Ulrich said during an interview at Metallica's headquarters in San Rafael, north of San Francisco. "But what he did was he forced us to take a look at the way we were doing things, and it was very clear that ... in order for this band to have a future and to continue doing something under the Metallica banner, there had to be radical, radical change."

Enter Phil Towle, a performance coach who specializes in getting members of sports teams to get along. But exit singer/guitarist James Hetfield, who spent several weeks that year in alcohol rehab and seemed poised never to return.

Since Ulrich and Hetfield, now both 39, co-founded Metallica in 1981, the two have battled each other for control of the band. The turf war pitted the leonine Hetfield, a shy big-game hunter, against the diminutive Danish-born Ulrich, a self-confessed control freak, whose controversial stand against music piracy enraged fans who like their music for free.

Normally, Hetfield's absence would have allowed Ulrich to grab power. But Towle taught the band -- which also includes 40-year-old lead guitarist Kirk Hammett and Newsted's recent replacement, Robert Trujillo -- to work as a collective.

"We don't spend half our energy now fighting for pole position because now we actually have found a new way of communicating and talking to each other and sitting down and considering other points of view," Ulrich said.

"The whole thing was completely adhered to in the recording of this record, and pretty much all the decisions."

Ulrich and Hetfield were solely responsible for most of Metallica's songs in the past. This time they shared the credit on all of "St. Anger" with Hammett and longtime producer Bob Rock, who filled in on bass.

All the songs were created during lengthy jam sessions at Metallica's headquarters. No one was allowed to bring in any material of his own. After each session, Ulrich and Rock sat at the computer, molding the best bits into songs.

Primary lyricist Hetfield then added the words, with help from his bandmates. Sober and relaxed, he bares his soul in such songs as the title track ("I want my anger to be healthy") and "Dirty Window" ("I drink from the cup of denial, judging the world from my throne").

"COLLECTION OF MOMENTS"

Ulrich calls the record "a collection of moments." Make that "long moments." None of the 11 songs is under five minutes, and three clock in at over eight minutes. That's classic Metallica, before they annoyed fans during the 1990s by recording radio-friendly songs.

Perhaps more worrisome for aficionados is the absence of guitar solos. Ulrich says the band tried desperately to add overdubs, but they ended up "cheapening" the sound.

Trujillo, 38, who was working with Ozzy Osbourne when he got the call to join Metallica in February, said the band has already accepted his input on such matters as album artwork and the DVD that will accompany the CD.

"They're motivated to have a collaborative entity, and that's really important for me," he said. "If this would have been happening two years ago, I may not be sitting here because we might have been clashing in certain ways."

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2003, 02:22 AM
That's a cool article, Rogue, and oddly enough, one I have not seen yet. Good read.

For you interested in actually hearing this album earlier than June 10, well, it's going to happen. St. Anger is being released in countries (Eastern Hemisphere only) on June 5th instead of the original June 9. Now this was just announced on Friday, could the North American release date get pushed ahead a few days, too? One can only hope, but it's not looking good.

Too bad, I wanted to see how quick Metallica could keep this album from being released early, because it's not been leaked yet.

Exhaust Port
05-31-2003, 11:56 AM
Why is the Western Hemisphere getting the shaft? Where's the love?

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2003, 02:49 PM
I haven't gotten this one confirmed yet, but a store in Mexico called "MIXUP" is going to sell the album on June 6. I'll keep my eyes open for any new info.

Tycho
05-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Thanks ROGUE II - interesting reading and I'm glad I picked up that insight into St. Anger. Now I just want to pick up St. Anger!

2-1B
05-31-2003, 09:36 PM
I just heard/saw St. Anger for the very first time on Headbanger's Ball . . . and I have to say I like it a lot ! :)

As I was telling Jaymz Boba on AIM I am a bit put off by the parts where Hettfield softly sings "St. Angerrrrrrrr" but I'm sure I'll warm up to it. Overall, I think it's a very cool tune !

I'll definitely pick up the album June 10th. :)

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2003, 10:09 PM
They played Judas Priest on Headbanger's Ball!

Back to our regularly scheduled topic.

mabudonicus
06-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
The beginning is killer, until the vocals and bridge ruins it. They tease you with old school Metallica, then......
That's pretty much what I thought.... the problem with "new" metallica is the overall tempo, all really plodding, no crazy driving 16/4 time signatures anymore.... the openeing of St.Anger is almost mnore damning than anything else, to me, they clearly know how to really ROCK but refuse to do it consistently for fear of "challenging" too many people... as a musician I am confident in saying that the real problem with "new" metallica is just that, the lack of the challenge issued on almost every track in the old days.... back when you'd be exhausted after listening to a killer album, not "older and wiser" or however you're supposed to feel listening to dreck like "unforgiven 2"..... I'm pretty sure that's what you said, too, Howdy....
PS- ya learn that "MANOWAR" song yet ;)???

Hellboy
06-01-2003, 12:03 PM
I heard St. Anger for the first time a few days ago and I must say I'm rather dissapointed. Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna buy the album with hope that the rest of it will be better but that song IMO is just awful. Hettfield's voice sounds strained and what is up with that guy yelling in the background, just a little to busy for my taste. :(

Darth Jax
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
am i the only frequent contributor to this thread that has yet to hear/see st. anger yet? guess i need to watch more mtv, listen to the radio little more.

reviews have certainly seemed mixed. won't stop me from snatching a copy when released june 10.

Exhaust Port
06-01-2003, 01:21 PM
I'm with you Darth Jax, other than the brief teaser at the end of the Icon show I haven't heard any new songs.

James Boba Fettfield
06-01-2003, 01:35 PM
You guys avoiding listening to the new material so you can hear it all fresh on June 10? If so, good job. I've been searching high and low to hear any little bits I can.

Most impressed clip-All Within My Hands (song about Jason Newsted)
Least impressed clip-Sweet Amber

Good luck so far keeping yourselves clean of the new stuff, and hope you guys love the new album.

Exhaust Port
06-01-2003, 02:09 PM
I haven't been purposely avoiding the new stuff, I just haven't been seeking it out. If it were to come my way I'd be sure to listen. This late in the game I might as well just wait until I get the whole CD.

Darth Jax
06-01-2003, 05:19 PM
only time in the last couple of months i watched mtv was to catch the iCon show. if i could watch HBB on m2 then i'm sure i'd have heard some by now. haven't bothered with any internet releases of clips of material, would prefer to hear the entire song at once. simply don't listen to the radio enough to have caught anything yet.

did pick up the new deftones cd today. still need to give it a listen so i'll recognize most of their material at SS.

Tycho
06-01-2003, 06:07 PM
I downloaded it from iMesh, but I can't listen to it.

iMesh has been getting a reputation for putting so much spyware crap on your PC that there is a website dedicated to providing instructions for taking it off. My MusicMatch player, windows media player, and even my soundcard, are not being detected by my computer right now. I have to do some re-installs just to play a CD or watch a DVD. It's really annoying. On Tuesday, I plan to have some time to devote to doing that with the Indian guys that work for Dell's customer service.

I don't get why advertisers want to put stuff on your machine that crashes your harddrive - you can't see their website pop-ups anyway, then.

Anyway, my friends say Kazza? spelling? Kazaa? is better than iMesh. Soon we'll all be sued when Lars and James catch us anyway, but I DO plan to buy their CD, so F 'em. I support Metallica, just not their release date.

That's what I say Your Honor: Give us Justice For All. I don't want to draw the Shortest Straw!

James Boba Fettfield
06-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Downloaded what? The album or the song?

If the song St. Anger or a live version of Frantic/St. Anger, I believe that.

If you mean you downloaded the album, I think not. You'll be in for a surprise if you do actually listen to it. ('cause it ain't St. Anger)

James Boba Fettfield
06-02-2003, 09:54 AM
So there have been many rumors pouring over the message boards of the St. Anger release date being pushed up from June 9th.

In a German press release Universal Music says that St. Anger will already be released worldwide on Thursday, June 5th! Reason: the high demand. Metal Hammer also seems to confirm this by saying: In related Metallica news, the release date of 'St. Anger' has been moved forward from next Monday (June 9th) to this Thursday (June 5th).

So does the June 9th date and the German and UK origins of the story mean that this is only for Europe? Or does the German Universal press release really mean worldwide on June 5th? Only time will tell!

We may want to check out our stores this Thursday to see if this rumor is true, I'm damn sure I'll be looking.

mabudonicus
06-02-2003, 11:35 AM
The radio here just confirmed thursday as the NEW release date, officially, so ROCK!!

Tycho
06-02-2003, 12:08 PM
I don't know what I downloaded, because I have to fix my computer so I can play well - anything!

However, I'm sure it was a song by the file size. An entire album doesn't download in 20 minutes or less on a dial-up!

In any case, I can't wait to BUY the album anyway. I still don't listen to the radio (currently listening to Appetitie for Destruction on my CD player because I'm in a GNR mood right now), so I haven't heard it and I'm sure curious!)

So "I'm out to GET IT! They can't catch me! Because I'm F'n Innocent! I can't PLAY IT. So I gotta BUY IT!"

"Yeah, I've been dancing with Mr. i-Mesh, he's been downloading, he's been downloading crap!"

"I used to play my all media, but now I can't play at all. That dang i-Mesh is a real mthr-f'r, I'm gonna kick it on down for all!"

-Axl Rose adapted for Tycho's PC Blues

James Boba Fettfield
06-02-2003, 12:57 PM
So if a Canadian station says that Thursday is when the the new album is being released, then I'm going to make an *** out of myself and assume that it would only make sense if it was the same for the US of A. If not, I will cry.

Edit

Ok, I just checked the site and the Canadian is right.

Can't wait 8 more days till the release of St. Anger? Well neither can we!! The NEW St. Anger day is now 5 days early, Thursday June 5th, worldwide!! (Japan on June 6th) That's all you really wanted to know right? Good!! Here is the official press release (snooze fest) below:

METALLICA TO RELEASE MUCH ANTICIPATED ST. ANGER FIVE DAYS EARLY

New York, NY - Due to the unprecedented level of anticipation and the prevalence of sub-standard versions of Metallica's upcoming, St. Anger, already in circulation, Elektra Records has moved up the release date of the new album, from Tuesday, June 10, to Thursday, June 5.

Elektra and Metallica have taken this extraordinary measure to ensure that counterfeit copies of the band's first studio album in six years do not proliferate in the marketplace. Metallica unanimously approved the move, guaranteeing that fans get first crack at hearing the acclaimed disk the way the band intended: Loud and unadulterated.

A spokesperson for Elektra indicates that this is a rare exception to standard release policy for the label, pointing out that demand for the new Metallica album warrants every measure be undertaken to prevent unauthorized leaks of St. Anger. In the past year, superstar artists such as Eminem and 50 Cent have both moved up their respective release dates to stem illegal piracy. Metallica is the first rock band to move up a release to counter the spread of unauthorized copies. According to noted magazine's Spin and Blender, Metallica followers will be ecstatic to hear St. Anger the way the band intended. Says Spin: 'This is the album Metallica lifers have been waiting for: an inspired return to the complex savagery of old.' Blender raves: 'Once again their music is about bringing the carnage...whiplash time shifts and thrash guitar evoke prime Metallica.'

In other overtures to fans, Metallica has conjured up a slew of unique activities and promotions to celebrate the release of their 10th album, St. Anger.

The band has crafted a DVD Treasure Hunt for fans hungry for Metallica performances of new material. The first ever-online music promotion of its kind, the Treasure Hunt coincides with Metallica's recent announcement that they would be including a unique live performance DVD as an added component of the disk. The performance features the group playing all of St. Anger's songs live in '****ty 5.1 sound.' Metallica's Treasure Hunt will include every track from the DVD, each streamed to a different site - not necessarily affiliated with music - so that fans will have to hunt for the rare performances themselves. Clues to finding the hidden 'treasures' will be made available on Metallica's website, www.Metallica.com. The DVD Treasure Hunt is set to kickoff on June 3.

The legendary group, who were recently named MTV Icons by the music channel with a special all-star tribute show broadcast on May 6, will also be providing a special digital access pass to every one who purchases the St. Anger CD, granting entry into a Metallica vault of unreleased live performances by the band. The promotion, hosted in conjunction with independent broadband provider Speakeasy, provides each record buying user with a unique access number contained in the CD packaging that entitles the purchaser to log on to www.Metallicavault.com, punch in their number and enter a digital vault filled with Metallica live gems.

The group recently offered a rare opportunity for fans to see Metallica play live in an intimate theatre setting in one of rock's most historic venues, San Francisco's famous Fillmore. Lucky members of Metallica's fan club won tickets to the once-in-a-lifetime free concert series, which took place to rave reviews on May 18, 19, 21 and 22. Metallica will kick off their much-anticipated Summer Sanitarium Tour in June, featuring Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones and Mudvayne.

Yahoo.com has also named Metallica Launch Artist Of The Month for June. Yahoo's Artist Of The Month Page is accessed over two million times during the month, and will give Metallica fans an up-close glimpse of the band via unique and comprehensive content, including exclusive interviews, a complete video retrospective, and a rare, live, in-studio performance, among other features.

Metallica also staged an extremely rare performance while making the video for the first clip from their album, the title track from St. Anger. The group performed in front of inmates at San Quentin Prison, all part of an 18 hour shoot for the new clip, directed by the Molloy brothers ( Limp Bizkit, Foo Fighters, among others) and featuring the band in all their hellacious glory. Among the songs the band performed for the inmates were 'For Whom The Bell tolls,' 'Fade To Black,' and 'One.'

I love you Lars.

El Chuxter
06-02-2003, 02:08 PM
So. . . Now begins the debate. Pick it up Thursday, or wait until next week when it will be on sale? Hmm, decisions, decisions.

DarthChuckMc
06-02-2003, 03:30 PM
In just a week, I have to admit...it's growing on me........The only thing that still urks me is the lack of the THUMPPPPPPing double bass. I guess I'm so used to Slipknot and Shadowsfall CRANKING the bass up....

James Boba Fettfield
06-02-2003, 07:41 PM
I have a new favorite clip, it's from Unnamed Feeling off the album.

So, on a somewhat related note, has anyone heard "the Project's" cover of Pink Floyd's "Money"? I heard it's on the soundtrack to the Italian Job, but I'm not wasting money on Marky Mark's movie. So, anyone hear it?

Hellboy
06-02-2003, 08:52 PM

So, on a somewhat related note, has anyone heard "the Project's" cover of Pink Floyd's "Money"? I heard it's on the soundtrack to the Italian Job, but I'm not wasting money on Marky Mark's movie. So, anyone hear it?

I saw that movie today and it's actually pretty entertaining. I can't recall hearing that song but it's possible it just didn't stand out to me that much. Charlize Theron is smokin hot though. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Unnamed Feeling- http://greencup.elektra.com/easportsau.asdfqwyr/

Invisible Kid- http://greencup.elektra.com/easports.ehenwyuj/

My World- http://greencup.elektra.com/synthesis.abenhrfb/

Purify- http://greencup.elektra.com/dotmusic.zxcyuiwd/

All Within My Hands- http://greencup.elektra.com/msn.asddfyiuo/

Frantic- http://greencup.elektra.com/kerrang.qpendyhf/

They're video streams of the bonus dvd of St. Anger. I'll post the others as they're added. Remember, I said stream, not download, so I'm not sure how well dial up can handle it.

Sad to say it, but St. Anger got leaked by early sells in foreign countries. At least the album almost made it before being let out early for download. Damn pirates! :Pirate: You know who you are.

El Chuxter
06-03-2003, 12:15 PM
I've not heard "The Project" yet, but they have a song on the Hulk CD too. (Not sure if they're doing a separate pop album in addition to Elfman's score or not, but I hope not. Getting GNR and Elfman on one disc is good for me.)

My future brother-in-law told me Scott Weiland was finally officially signed (he said a week after this was initially denied), and that they have a name. I can't remember what that name is, or what his source was, though. I suppose I could live with Weiland, but I'd still prefer Sebastian Bach.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Getting GNR, you say? But GNR is Axl's band with that idiot Buckethead. I'd like to see him take on Oderus Urungus or Balsac from Gwar. We'll see who's got the better mask.

Tycho
06-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Use Your Illusion....heheheheh;)

DarthChuckMc
06-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Did Kirk forget how to play guitar solos? I haven't heard one yet.
I know it's not the most important part of the song, but geez.

James Boba Fettfield
06-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Brianís St. Anger Review

Ok dudes, Iím here to offer forth my views on this album. Let me begin by saying I donít know jack about guitar playing and recording music. If it sounds good, I like it. I donít place too much emphasis on how difficult a riff is to be played, as long as it sounds good, because some of the simplest sounds out there I love hearing.

Second, if you expect Master of Puppets 2 or Kill ĎEm All Again or Riding the Lightning For Another Round, then you might not like St. Anger on first hearing. Itís not any of these things. If youíre a disgruntled fan from the 80ís, well, the best advice I can offer is to pretend it is still 1986 and keep spinning that Master of Puppets vinyl or open your mind a little. Now, here are my opinions on St. Anger.

Frantic (5:50)

It starts off fast and loud. Old Metallica, nope. New Metallica, nope. Machine gun pace I am reminded off, then it gets quiet for James to play his little bit, which leads into the gun like pace to start again. Thereís not much to this song really. Honestly, the opening two songs did not appeal to me. Then again, I am a big fan of The Memory Remains. Where the hell is Kirk on this song? I donít hear any solos. Well, thatís going to be a common factor on the rest of the album, as well. The song changes up towards the end with some new riffing, but then it gets back into the chorus about finding strength and the whatnot. I feel the song could have ended sooner, but then it may have been the length of a song like Linkin Park. Not what I would want to hear, but maybe itís intentionally done to repeat itself as a way of setting the songís tone. The lyrics do deal with death and wondering how you will ultimately die. I also picked up on searching for a purpose to life, which hits home with me, so maybe the boys wanted it to repeat for said reasons. It does give it that frantic tone, though.

St. Anger (7:21)

St. Anger is probably the most radio friendly song off the album, which would explain why Elektra or Q Prime or whoever chose it as the single. I enjoy the thrashy feel to this song, which can bring back memories of Damage Inc. or Battery. The lyrics do repeat themselves quite a bit for the seven minutes and twenty one seconds this song lasts. The fast pace ends up breaking for a melodic part where James sings about St. Anger on a personal level, then he goes into a Fred Durst like chant with ďYou flush it out, you flush it out.Ē I did not like hearing that at all. As I said with Frantic, this song may be longer than it should be. Thereís nothing to break it up, like a solo. The more I listen to it, the more I would have maybe wanted a solo, but there is at least some saving grace to the lyrics when Hetfield goes into his angry rant about wanting his anger to be healthy among other things. Overall, I have minor gripes, but the song still wins me over every time I hear it. After all, I canít stay madly in anger with this song.

Some Kind Of Monster (8:25)

Wow, this song starts off with some weird sounding riff. It reminds me of something Iíd hear out of some old horror movie. This song feels like it weighs a few tons, too. Heavy canít describe. Thick and fat it sounds like. Two minutes into this fat playing we hear Hetfield open up with the description of the monster. I canít say how thick this is, but the music continues for a few more seconds and Hetfield continues with the rest of the description. We the people are we the people, Hetfield asks while Lars plays some solo drums which are then acquainted with some riffing courtesy of Hammett and Hetfield. Some kind of monster is repeated a few times, ending with the line this monster lives. The vocals on this song are fast and quick, with unrelenting words to describe the monster. I love this one more each time I hear it. Hetfield growls on the track, too. That just adds to how great this song is. Some speed is picked up towards the end of the track, and then there is some kind of chant that goes on. I canít tell what is being said, but it could very well be something to summon Satan to bang his head with me. At the very end of the song it ends with some weird sound, which reminds me of a circus, but it only lasts for a few seconds. Not sure what that is about, but it was different to say the least.

I'll add the rest later as I get a chance to write, but I'm much too busy making my head go up and down in a fast manner. My ears hurt.

Darth Jax
06-03-2003, 07:41 PM

i'd heard reports that they wouldn't be included on the album. i believe the sticking point had to do with royalties.

dr_evazan22
06-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but earlier today 94 WYSP said that St Anger was coming out THIS thurs, 6/5.

I assumed that they were talking about the listening party that they had planned, but FYE music store had a handwritten date on thier release poster, covering the 6/10 date.

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Dirty Window (5:24)

This song begins with some playing, silence, playing, stop, play, stop sounds. Then it kicks in with the main riff. It's fast and catchy, but it has a Load kind of sound with it. There's a somewhat melodic part where Hetfield calmy says, "I'm judge and I'm jury and I'm execution, too." Then it kicks back into the heavy part of the song. Nothing really stands out to me on this song, as I have a hard time recalling it when I am not listening to it.

Invisible Kid (8:30)

Where to begin with this song. It begins with a catchy sounding riff which the boys go on for a minute. The song is faster than it is heavy, but it's not Kill 'Em All speed or anything. The song does slow down about 5 minutes in, but that gives way to the faster playing after its done. Again, this song doesn't stand out too much for me. I love the chorus to it, but the slower parts where Hetfield's voice sounds kind of haunting I could have done without. Like the other songs, for the last seconds of this song they add a little something different to it, I guess so its the listener knows the song is about to end.

My World (5:45)

It's my world, ****er! The song opens with some cursing, how I love to hear cursing. The song has a fast pace and there's no slowing down until they get into the chorus of "It's my world, you can't have it." Even then, the song doesn't yield too much. There's some more profanity as Hetfield tells everyone to look out. I really like this song, maybe because it doesn't go into any harmony with the singing. The vocals are angry, and the music is just as angry. I don't like the echo effect used for some parts of the chorus, it sounds like something I do with sound recorder when I add echo. This song didn't feel like it was repeating itself like St. Anger or some of the other songs, the song goes by quick, which it should since it is under six minutes. The end sounds a lot like the beginning of Battery musically, if only for a few seconds.

Shoot Me Again (7:10)

Now here is a song that can get you back into this album. The last 3 tracks before it aren't anything compared to this one. Heavy, then quiet vocals, then heavy! Hetfield sings about facing some trials like standing tall, etc. Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet! All the shots I take I spit back at you, all the **** you fake comes back to haunt you! All the shots, all the shots, all the shots I take, what difference did I make? All the shots I take I spit back at you! I'm sorry, but I had to include those lyrics. This song lyrically is Metallica giving everyone who doubted them, (saying the negative things about them, the sell out stuff, the Napster issue, etc) the finger. I love the music for that, take that naysayers! As James sings, Metallica ain't dead yet. Anyway, the music to the song works well. The song starts off with some weird guitar sound, then Lars pounds away, probably venting some anger over Napster still. The music starts off low with the vocals and increases with Hetfield's voice, like ending a sentence with !!!! Hetfield screams for you to shoot him again, and then the anthem goes on about how they can take all of it and never die. Then the song follows the same pattern for the next verse, but Hetfield interjects between lyrics with the line, "With a bullet in my back!" Roughly five minutes into the song, the song changes itself into an angry beast with lines about waking sleeping giants and the like. Then the song ends with that some weird guitar sound.

The stunning conclusion to this review coming soon!

El Chuxter
06-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Getting GNR, you say? But GNR is Axl's band with that idiot Buckethead. I'd like to see him take on Oderus Urungus or Balsac from Gwar. We'll see who's got the better mask.

No, despite what the two bands may call themselves, the one with Slash is GNR in my book. :crazed:

Buckethead's not too bad, IMHO, but as a replacement for Slash he's sorely lacking.

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Sweet Amber (5:27)

I have heard the beginning of this song is played with a slide guitar, but I have no idea if that is correct or not, but I do like the sound. The tempo is fast, Lars hits the drums, it kicks into gear quick! Speed, emphasis on speed here! James sings, but it's not quite as fast as the music, which has a great effect on me. Then he kicks into singing something that I can't quite understand. Then the brakes are hit and the train stops rolling so fast, and it Hetfield asks "How sweet does it get?" But unlike a train, this song kicks it back into gear without hesitation and we are back in the fast lane! The song plays like before, and BAM! Like running into a wall, the song slows down again. Then it picks up again, but it picks up faster than it did the first time. James sings at a normal pace here while the music seems to be speeding away from him, again, I love how it works! Then the song slows again and stays heavy with some speed. Then the song ends with one helluva heavy punch!

Unnamed Feeling (7:09)

I will tell you now, this is my favorite track off St. Anger. There's something about it that I love. To begin, the song starts off with crunch. It's building itself up for something greater, which turns out to be something unrecognizable being screamed, but it's not loud screaming. The song continues to grow greater, lyrically this is one of the better tracks off St. Anger. The unnamed feeling James sings about, I don't know, I feel like I understand what he's talking about, but at the same time, I don't know what that feeling is. Maybe you'll understand better when you hear the song. The chorus comes in, quiet and hushed, the unnamed feeling is said to take him away. Kick in those guitars, and break out of this quiet part! The lyrics continue to get better as the song's structure stays the same. Back into the quiet chorus, only this time it is better than before. It's longer, and I really love this part of the song. Probably the best moment of the entire album for me when Hetfield says the unnamed feeling comes alive and takes him away. Wow is all I can say. Then Hetfield lets a yell free and he says "Get the **** out of here! I just wanna get the **** away from me." The lyrics continue with him saying He hurts, he hates, etc. With each of these emotions being spoken, Hetfield says it like he is hurt and angry. Words can't describe how I feel about this song. At the end of the song the words "And the unnamed feeling takes me away" are sung, and just like that the song ends. Great way to end it all with the unnamed feeling taking Jaymz away from us.

Purify (5:14)

Fast guitars introduce this song to our ears. Loud and by god it's like the song is declaring you give it attention. Stop, start with the riffs. Hetfield sings the same way with the music. For the chorus he sings Purify, can't you help me. Not much else stands out from this song. The song picks itself up more musically about 3 minutes in when it lets the vocals go for Hetfield and Hammett to go off. Then they get back into the vocals, usual chorus. Closer to the end the sound goes into something new, and just as quick as it came the song ends.

All Within My Hands (8:47)

Yes, the Jason Newsted song! Reminds me of something I'd hear off Garage Days with how it begins. A minute of that leads into some quiet part where Het' says all within my hands. It's like a beautiful part of the song but it soon meets this ugly wall of aggressive sound. Then it goes up another notch! Hetfield proclaims, "Love is control, I die if I let go!" I believe him, too. Kill all within my hands, crush all within my hands, choke all within my hands. It's interesting to hear these lyrics and know that Metallica (James specifically) had Jason Newsted in mind. Let you run, then I pull your leash. That's another example that fits the Hetfield/Newsted relationship. 5 minutes into the song we get some little quiet then punch to the face the speed is back! Almost like the song is dying and then coming back to remind us about the control it has. The song continues and then Hetfield goes crazy and starts yelling "Kill kill kill!!!!" over and over and over and over again. I'm not sure how many times he says it, but it is a lot. The song continues on...heavily going to its end and then its done.

That's how I feel about St. Anger as of today. The album overall I recommend it. The name fits it. There's definitely more anger on this album than anything since Dyers Eve. I don't notice the solos missing. Sure, maybe they could have broken up some songs to make them more interesting, but it's not a loss that turned me off to this album. I recommend you listen to this album on something decent and have it loud. I cannot stress that enough, this album is loud so play it loud. I can't forget that dvd either. That just makes the album greater. Dare I say, some of the songs sound even better on the dvd. I hope they get a few of these tunes out for Summer Sanitarium. Some may miss the clean sound they are accustomed to on a Bob Rock produced Metallica album, but the way they recorded this album great. Metallica is an excellent live act, and maybe that's why they chose to record the album this way. Just don't buy this album thinking it's Justice, Puppets, Ride, or Kill.....because Metallica already made those albums.

dr_evazan22
06-05-2003, 10:25 AM
$9.99 at Target, explicit lyrics.

El Chuxter
06-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Sweet! I was going to wait for Sunday to see who had it on sale, but you can't beat $9.99! I know how I'm wasting my lunch break today, and it ain't on eatin'! :Pirate:

scruffziller
06-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Is it confirmed on Best Buy.com if it is with the bonus DVD? It says 1 disc but I highly doubt that.

James Boba Fettfield
06-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Kill all within my hands!

Scruff, I think I found your answer in Metallica's official St. Anger FAQ:

3. My St. Anger package is missing a component (CD, DVD, booklet). What do I do?

Return it to the place of purchase (they will probably want you to bring the receipt too!). ALL St. Anger CD's should include a DVD at no extra charge.

As for that GNR stuff I brought up, I guess it's all been answered:

Now calling themselves "Velvet Revolver," Scott Weiland and former Guns n' Roses members Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum are ready to begin recording their debut album.
Weiland, best-known for fronting Stone Temple Pilots, told Rolling Stone last month that he was going to front the new band, but the rest of the group waited until today to confirm Weiland's admission.

"I always liked his voice in STP," Slash says. "He's got a great rock vibe, but also a cool, slinky thing going on. He's one of those guys who's got a dark side, which obviously fits with us."

"Scott is an identifiable guy and he has the swagger of a great frontman," says Sorum. "We have a lot of energy and we have our own identities. We want a guy who can keep up with that or be better than that."

As to Weiland's well-documented struggles with addiction, Slash says he's not concerned. "We've all been through it," he says. "We like Scott a lot and he's come to terms with his own stuff. We've been around the block so many ******* times -- whereas he might freak some people out, it doesn't phase us."

The band will begin writing lyrics to go with its ever-growing body of music and work on securing a record deal. But first Weiland has to complete a stint in rehab, which the singer promised to do following his May 18th arrest on drug charges in Los Angeles.

The four members have already recorded a cover of Pink Floyd's "Money" for the film The Italian Job and the original rocker "Set Me Free" for The Hulk. They aim to enter a studio by September and release an album in early 2004 after hitting the road this summer for some as-yet-unannounced dates.

Asked if Weiland's joining the band has created tension with the singer's STP bandmates, Slash says, "When we were recording 'Money,' [Dean and Robert DeLeo] were producing Alien Ant Farm in the same studio, and that was a very awkward day. Scott didn't seem like he had any ties to them, and as far as I now they're disbanded."

STP's management said "that's news to us."

So...there you have it. Dave Mustaine's solo album in 2004 and now *chuckle* Velvet Revolver's album in 2004. That's good then, I'm looking forward to 2004.

Tycho
06-05-2003, 11:09 PM
I bought St. Anger . Target $9.99 (with nothing for Star Wars in sight that was worth buying - but lots of Republic Gunship Pilots finally available off the racks from the Yoda -chair Destroyer Droid wave = read NOT youngling 2-pack)

Anyway, Metallica: I've listened to only the first 5 tracks. My CD's out in my truck because I had my hands full when I got home, and half the time I was driving, I was on the phone on business calls. Ah, the price a metal-head pays when he "grows up....."

Well, first impression is that it's very listenable, like all Metallica. Their music is so balanced, that it's almost like background ambiance to me, no matter how loud I play it.

That being said, it takes longer for me to get really into a song, and distinguish it from other songs, into categories such as "Like" or "Like A Whole Friggin Lot!"

In that second category, "Monster's" guitar rhythyms got me liking that song a lot. Then I liked "Invisible Child" a lot.

I haven't heard "Unknown Feeling" or whatever the title of that song is that you guys are all raving about.

"Dirty Window" was instantly play-over-able, and I think I'm apt to like that one a lot too!

Let me be the

Projector
Infector
Injector

on that one...hehehe.

But on Invisible Kids, doesn't some of the way Jamz sings the lines remind you of like a Beach Boys song or something like that?
It's kind of a cool variable in a hard metal song.

Oh, and the other thing about Dirty Window, is it has notes similar to Harvestor of Sorrow in it, and I picked up on that instantly and said to myself that this was Metallica.

Or it was Monster ... I forget. One of them that sounds like an alternate opening of Harvestor.

Well, so far so good, save for lyrically, this is more like Metallica-Haiku and impressionism, versus the really thought-provoking lyrics of say, Justice for All or Master of Puppets.

But I've only heard 5 so far...

James Boba Fettfield
06-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Lyrically speaking, it's nothing like Hetfield's other work. Unnamed Feeling I think has the best lyrics off the entire album, but All Within My Hands is starting to grow on me lyrically too. Everytime I listen to it, I think about James Hetfield writing those words on his relationship with Jason Newsted. Just keep that in the back of your head when you listen to All Within My Hands, the song makes a lot more sense.

The simple lyrics, though, sometimes I didn't like it. Other times, I could just relate to it. Like St. Anger, the way he keeps repeating the words, it says something to me about the tone Hetfield is trying to set, I think the same thing about Frantic. The lyrics are simple, kind of like something you'd hear off Kill 'Em All. The music is brutal, raw, and downtuned. This album is angry, that's obvious, and the simple but honest lyrics convey that emotion perfectly.

Man, this album's been dominating all of my free time, though. I'm in my phase now where I'm trying to analyze the songs, trying to see what's really being said and how it might relate to a Metallica event, ie James's control over Jason in All Within My Hands. It's a fun thing to do, alas, I am obsessed.

Tycho
06-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Maybe almost nothing is being said. I try to look at this objectively.

This is not Operation: Mindcrime, granted. Lyrically, past Metallica did approach that quality.

However, this is extremely listenable.

That being said, we must ask is it effort, or simply the results of "a jam session" with a label that will sell it, because it's Metallica, no matter what the effort is.

I think we're probably beyond that. There is a balance in the music, that obviously required effort.

Fine.

That still doesn't suggest that the work is anything to rave about because there IS something there to analyze - some deeper message or purpose for the album. It may just be simple entertainment. It may be deeper, but based more on feeling, than tangible, analyzable, specific thoughts.

It's too early for me to decide what it is, but songs like Memory Remains gives me a lot to think about. Songs like Frantic give me reasons to keep checking my speedometer.

Admittedly, I don't need to check my speedometer when listening to Fuel - just my rearview mirrros to check for highway patrol.

For St. Anger, I might need to check if my gun is loaded, but really, for right now, I just need to check in with you later :)

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2003, 12:08 AM
If it helps you think about the lyrics, Kirk and Lars helped write the lyrics.

It's interesting you bring up the jam sessions thing. I've had similar thoughts, too. I feel, I really do, that James Lars & Kirk wanted to do this album so they could prove to themselves and the world they still had it. They still had the ability to be a group after all the self doubting they had gone through for years. Lars says he's already wanting to do the next album with Rob.

Anyway, back to those lyrics. I like them and can overlook the repetition, because what's being said I can relate with. Frantic, St. Anger, Unnamed Feeling, and Dirty Window all feel like they speak to me personally. I can relate with that "search" that Frantic describes in life. I'm in that search right now. St. Anger, ask Lord Malakite, I've got problems with my anger and losing control. That song hits home when I hear Hetfield saying he wants his anger to be healthy and that he knows it's a part of him. Unnamed Feeling I went over earlier, and Dirty Window. I love casting judgement, and everything's always squeaky clean on my side of the window. Everything on the outside is dirty. If you don't feel those kinds of connections, that's understandable.

I know I've done a lot of raving about the album, but already I have a place for these songs in my heart. This is music I listen for more than just passing the time, it's like my own therapy, much like it was therapy for Metallica to get this album out.

Tycho
06-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Oh, I totally understand those connections.

1) I first choose music that empathizes with how I feel. (with Metallica, that was yesterday, when I was Trapped Under Ice).

2) Next, I choose music from artists which consistantly produce great work (that explains my Metallica purchase today). I know I'll probably like it.

But I think Linkin Park sings to where I'm at right now.

"I'm breaking the habit, breaking the habit tonight!"

"Don't turn your back on me - I won't be ignored!"

As I'm not so angry, so much as I have a plan to bring myself success, power, and wealth. I think that songs like, oh remember "Best I Can" from QR's Empire CD? They best describe where I'm at right now.

Metallica's Harvestor I like so much because "distributor of pain, your loss becomes my gain!"

"Much too young, much too wild and free...
Hey Mom, hey Mom look at me!"

Don't Tread on Me works well, too.

I was angry when I felt STUCK. Now I'm moving ahead in life, and I'm picking up pace.

I like music that aspires me to fight harder, smarter, and relish my progress. Anger is sometimes what you feel in the absense of power. I'm feeling more and more powerful, so I have less to be angry about, and more to be furiously driving forward on, careful I'm not grinding the engines in neutral, but working them in a full-thrust forward!

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2003, 12:43 AM
It's all about connecting with the music. I mean, I love stuff that in no way relates to me personally, but still tackles the big issues, like Eye of the Beholder on censorship. But on that same album theres Dyers Eve, and that song speaks volumes to me. "Undying spite I feel for you, living out this hell you always knew." I do prefer the songs that I feel a deeper connection with though, which is why Fade to Black will never go without more than a few days without me listening to it.

It just depends on what I want to hear, like listening to Motorbreath and Damage Inc., that's motivation and doing things your way supercharged and telling you plainly the best way to live life.

Like I said, it's cool you understand what I'm saying about connecting with the music, Tycho. So far Metallica's been one of the few, probably the only, groups that I've felt connections with. And if Linkin Park does that for you Tycho, or if Snoop Dogg does that for you or whoever, that's fine by me as long as you are liking the music for your own reasons and not someone else's.

Tycho
06-06-2003, 01:20 AM
I instantly connected with It's My World!

I brought my CD in, and this song will be played a LOT in my home and on MY ROAD! (everyone gets in the lane furthest away)

"The Sons of beeches tried to take my head
tried to make me someone else in stead

It's my world!
You can't have it!"

That's my attitude!

Sorry if I haven't listened to more of the CD, had to play this one 3 times!

El Chuxter
06-06-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree and say that on my first listen, this is probably the worst CD in my Metallica collection. (Okay, maybe "Bay Area Thrashers" is worse because of the poor editing and the moronic spoken overdub, but the music's better.)

Before anyone throws rocks, though, it's still better than most bands could put out in their wildest dreams. It just didn't completely floor me at first, which all the other Metallica CDs (even Garage Inc) have done.

Most of the songs were excellent (particularly Frantic, St Anger, My World, All Within My Hands, and Some Kind of Monster), but Invisible Kid grated on me after a bit.

I know St Anger will probably grow on me in time, though.

Vortex
06-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I'm gonna have to disagree and say that on my first listen, this is probably the worst CD in my Metallica collection.

I'm gonna have to second that.

I listened to the whole thing at work yesterday and no song jumped out at me, and to me, it sounded like it was tossed together in some ruddy old studio just to get a CD out.

I don't know if they were trying to get back to their roots, before they went semi-grunge with load and re-load, but I was totally unimpressed. Then again Garage and S&M are my new reference points....it used to be the Black Album, but S&M took the crown.

I even gave it to a co-worker to listen to and he just listened to a few minuets of each song or about half and just passed and back and said ..."It sucks, I wasn't interested in any of the songs and what's up invisible kid and its 8 minuets of junk".

I'll listen to it again on my road trip to Brainerd this weekend, but on 1st run, I give it two thumbs down.

Darth Jax
06-06-2003, 10:06 PM
time to chime in now that i've listened to it twice. to me doesn't sound like a very polished album. exactly like what we'll hear at SS (with the exception of the guitar tricks on a couple of songs). really sounds like they wrote half the songs and rather than have a killer guitar solo as they might, simply looped the first and last half of each song. the vocals really bother me, not the growl from the early days or the more melodic James from load/reload. having said that this music will definitely join my metallica rotation and receive heavy play. as with each cd since justice will grow on me with repeated listens. took over 6 months before i could listen to the black album without cringing, still not my fave but i've come to like it.

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Feels like 1996 again.

Jax, it's cool you bring up how it sounds like Metallica will perform this summer. That's the impression Metallica wanted this album to give. They wanted to record the album without the past shine (can you say Load?) and produce the live energy filled sound that they have live. If you've seen the boys live (excluding S&M, the boxset, etc) then you can understand what I mean by that.

As for the solos, some of the songs, maybe all of them, had solos recorded, but the group felt they were better off without them on the album. Let's just hope on the next round of singles Metallica releases some of their Presidio material as b-sides. It's cool they're putting out their Ramones covers with the St. Anger import singles, but I really want to hear some of that Presidio material Lars and Kirk put their time into.

2-1B
06-06-2003, 10:40 PM
I really hate it when two albums (which I really want to get) both come out at the same time because I just love to hammer away endlessly listening to a new CD.

That was the case this week as Mellencamp and Metallica both released new discs . . . well for what it's worth I won't have a dilemma as to what I want to play because St. Anger is a real disappointment. I'm really bummed out because the title track gave me hope and the overall hype of the upcoming album sounded pretty promising.

Oh, it certainly has some good moments. I enjoyed several parts but it's way too uneven as far as what I do like. I'm sure some of it will grow on me over time but not enough for me to give it a positive review.

Where is the "anger" in this album? I don't feel it anywhere . . . it sounds annoying in several places but not at all angry. Maybe Jaymz should have thought twice about "singing" because it doesn't work much for me.

Ugh I can't believe I have to say this but I think Load and ReLoad are better than this disc and that's not saying too much . . .

Darth Jax
06-07-2003, 09:27 AM
originally posted by JBF
Jax, it's cool you bring up how it sounds like Metallica will perform this summer. That's the impression Metallica wanted this album to give. They wanted to record the album without the past shine (can you say Load?) and produce the live energy filled sound that they have live. If you've seen the boys live (excluding S&M, the boxset, etc) then you can understand what I mean by that.

one of the main reasons i don't go to many concerts is that most bands put out such polished sounding material. then you hear them live and it sounds nothing like the cd. vocals tend to be the most distorted and disappointing live. yet metallica has always managed to make the songs sound better in person than on an album. the songs seem to take on a life/energy of their own that a cd just can't capture. st. anger has managed to get the sound right, but i don't feel the life of the songs yet. i'm sure it'll just take more listenings or better yet seeing them performed live on Aug. 1st.

Tycho
06-07-2003, 08:41 PM
I think Unknown Feeling is awesome.

I think "Purify" might be the worst song they've ever recorded.

James ruins an otherwise good melody just by singing, and by singing repetitious lyrics badly, with that.

Tycho
06-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Boba Fettfield had me read this review of the new Metallica (http://http://www.rock1057.net/metallica.htm) and I responded to it with this:

OK, in reading the review, I've commented as I go along.

First, I can't agree with the statement that this is either the best or the worst Metallica ever.

It could never even approach the best (which though that varies for me, depending upon what I overplay, is probably Ride the Lightning for me right now, and I'm a little more fond of the Load and Re-Load albums than most M-fans, as I like them better than the black album (which was probably my most overplayed in recent years past, and could explain that...Sad but True..)

Kirk restrained? Yup. I agree here. It was like Jim Carrey's Riddler, you bring him in, and then don't even give the talent a quarter of the show. The album is too new to pinpoint WHERE I wanted guitar solos. There are some songs I just don't want to hear that much of period: Purify etc. (actually the music is good) so I'm left wondering whether Kirk could have improved it, or just wishing the track would end...

I can't discuss Bob Rock with a lot of expertise. Next.

James: Frantic is really not that bad on vocals. Purify IS!

Using Linkin Park or Godsmack patterns in the music? It's ok. I like those bands.

Return to roots? Rejecting computerized rock? I like the way that sounds (I go out to my truck and grab my CD to play again...) That's inspiring. Worth another listen for...

Tycho
06-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Frantic

I really like this song now.

St. Anger (the song)

I think I like this one, too.

It's kind of put together inside out.

Monster

It's a good job. Chords remind me of The House that Jack Built and Harvestor of Sorrow.

James Boba Fettfield
06-08-2003, 10:00 PM
You been downloading any of the stuff from the vault?

Or you not a fan of live material, Tycho?

Tycho
06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
My computer is pretty much messed up. Stuff got confused inside here, so it doesn't detect my soundcard or my DVD's in my DVD player, etc. I'm enjoying my new CD on my stereo until Thursday, when I've set aside 4-5 hours to go through all the stuff I need to reconfigure, reload, reset, delete, etc.

Probably i-mesh did this to me, but who knows with a lot of the crap I download. If I had 256 KB of RAM, I'd also be better off. I think I run with 128, not sure. That was enough before the www. Now, 256 is probably barely adequate.

Anyway, more song opinions from yours truly follow:

Dirty Window I liked this one from early on.

Invisible Kid Probably one of my favorite tracks. I like the haunted Beach Boys type of hymm to it. "I'm OK. Just go Away."

My World This song I relate to well.

I finally realized why this album also sounds to different. Lars is playing like garbage-can drums that have that metal-drum (as in oil barrel or something) ring to them. It's not his usual sound.

I wonder if in the sanitarium tour they are going to switch drum sets for him, or set up extra stuff.

I don't know if I'd like songs like Master of Puppets to be played with these drums, but it would only be right for St. Anger.

But it definitely is a different sound than any previous Metallica.

James Boba Fettfield
06-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Tycho, the sound for the snares came out that way because during a recording session they forgot to turn on the mics that record his snare, and that was the sound they got. Lars liked the sound when he heard it, so he decided to do the whole album that way.

It's still the same drum equipment, so when you see them this summer it'll sound like Metallica always does live and not with any hollow snare sounds.

Tycho
06-08-2003, 10:42 PM
It's interesting, but some variety would have made the non-snare-snare-drums stand out more on specific songs if it weren't on ALL the songs. Oh well. It is interesting and does make me favor St. Anger when I want to hear stuff played that way.

It also does leave me curious to wonder what older Metallica songs would sound like with the snare mics off - like "On Through The Never," - that'd be a good one to try it on...

Exhaust Port
06-09-2003, 09:29 AM
All I can say is I'm really jealous guys. My stupid job is keeping me from hitting ANY store until Friday. Early out, late in. Stupid Job!

El Chuxter
06-09-2003, 12:23 PM
So Caesar. . . you picked up Mellencamp and Metallica last week, too? At least I know I'm not the only one with schizo musical tastes. :p

I sorta like St Anger, but Mellencamp's new CD (which I can't even think of the title of right now) stomps it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi, my name is mike and i like Radiohead (dodges various beatings and scampers about dead center into the room)

woah!! I'm not into Metallica, but i got nothing but respect for them; they're just not my bag. (breathes easier as he sees the various weapons drop)

Alright, i saw this at usatoday.com and thought y'all might wanna check it out.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2003-06-08-metallica_x.htm

Interview/review/that sorta thing. I haven't read it yet, but figured you kids might enjoy it. and please, no anti-Radiohead comments. :D Enjoy! cheers!

2-1B
06-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
So Caesar. . . you picked up Mellencamp and Metallica last week, too? At least I know I'm not the only one with schizo musical tastes. :p

I sorta like St Anger, but Mellencamp's new CD (which I can't even think of the title of right now) stomps it.

Yep, Mellencamp is one of my top 5 faves and the new album "Trouble No More" is just wonderful! :happy:
I expected to enjoy it but since it's a collection of folk and blues covers I didn't know if I would like it AS MUCH as his other stuff . . . wow was I impressed ! :happy:

My early favorites are Down in the Bottom and the new single Teardrops Will Fall is pretty cool. :cool: I also love Stones in my Passway, a song he previewed on tour last year.

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
and please, no anti-Radiohead comments. :D

Why do you ask the impossible ? :cry:

:crazed:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, what's up with the St. Anger DVD ? I watched it last night and I enjoyed it more than the album. It was cool to see the band performing the songs (well, except for Lars because he annoys me) and how awesome is that Rob Trujillo ? :D

Anyway, I've expressed my disappointment with the CD but I have to give them more credit on the DVD rehearsals - it sounded better to me. :)

James Boba Fettfield
06-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Caesar, you're one of the many hundreds of replies I've read that call the St. Anger dvd the real album.

Aww, Guyute, you send us news even though you hate Lars with a passion. Thanks for the article, man. "There, There" if I got the name of that correctly isn't a bad song. (I saw the video of the singer dude wondering around in some trees, I actually watched the video on Mtv2 and didn't turn it off in disgust like I normally do, surprise!)

2-1B
06-10-2003, 01:36 AM
That's just it JamesBH,
I like the DVD much better BUT it is helping me to enjoy the CD a little bit more. Hey, I'll keep giving it a chance. :)

Chux is right though, no matter how "bad" of a Metallica album I might find this to be, it's still way better than what a good majority of bands out there could do on their best day. :)

Yes, that also goes for Radiohead. :D (sorry Guyote, I wouldn't have slammed them if you hadn't specifically requested that we NOT slam them :D )

Tycho
06-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Well, I'm in life insurance licensing school all week from 9-6 and have political meetings afterwards.

I need to take my VCR in for maintainence now, and my only DVD - on my computer, is malfunctioning since my sound card is still not detected.

In short, next week, when I have my time back (but only just prior to a trip to Las Vegas) maybe I can spend 4 hours with over-the-phone computer service by Dell to straighten my machine out so I can watch the DVD.

In the meantime, I hate it when everybody's talking about something and I can't see it!

And anger leads to hatred....

"And I'm madly in Anger with you!
I'm madly in anger with you!

St. Anger 'round my neck
St. Anger 'round my neck"

Oooo how I needed Metallica to write a song just about my audio-video equipment! Thank you James.

The Overlord Returns
06-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Hi, my name is mike and i like Radiohead (dodges various beatings and scampers about dead center into the room)

woah!! I'm not into Metallica, but i got nothing but respect for them; they're just not my bag. (breathes easier as he sees the various weapons drop)

Alright, i saw this at usatoday.com and thought y'all might wanna check it out.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2003-06-08-metallica_x.htm

Interview/review/that sorta thing. I haven't read it yet, but figured you kids might enjoy it. and please, no anti-Radiohead comments. :D Enjoy! cheers!

Dude, why would you feel bad about liking a vastly superior band that, unlike certain bands that shall remain nameless, produce fantastic music and remain relevant?? ;)

bobafrett
06-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey, I know I don't post here much, in fact this should be the first post I have made in this thread. I picked up the new Metallica CD today at Target for under $10 with DVD included. I haven't had the chance to view the DVD portion yet as my son has taken the TV hostage for his video game pleasure. I thought it was good, not one of the best efforts but after 20+ years not all albums can meet everyones expectations.

Let me say that during the years I was in High School (1979-1983), I thought that Metallica was a band for burnouts, potheads and those long haired guys you would see walking down the hallway as they ditched class. Then MTV came along, and I saw the video for "One". After hearing that song, I started listening to some of the other songs, as well as the earlier albums, and I have been hooked since. I wish now that I had not looked down on the guys who listened to this great band in my early formative years, because they simply kick a**!

I'm glad they decided to make videos, because otherwise I might have still had no clue to just how truely talented these guys are!

Tycho
06-13-2003, 02:31 AM
OK: I can't stop listening to St. Anger (the whole CD) now!

I love this CD!

I knew it would just take some time getting used to it.

Now I even like "Purify," "Shoot Me, I ain't Dead Yet," and "Sweet Amber."

I'm sick. I can't even listen to Old Metallica, although "And Justice For All" gets some playtime in my shower CD player as I seem to like "Harvestor of Sorrow" blaring while I'm shaving.

Other than that, I haven't let the new Metallica CD out of my main a/v equipment or a copy leave my truck's system either. (I haven't driven anywhere under 85 either it seems, too).

This is my world!

Exhaust Port
06-13-2003, 07:38 AM
I finally picked up the CD the other day but I haven't even had a chance to listen to one freakin' song yet. Good news is the weekend is free so this disc will be getting some major air play in the apartment. I can't wait to hear what you guys have been talking about this whole time. Let Metallica begin......

Tycho
06-13-2003, 10:38 AM
You might not like it the first or second time.

But the ninth time is magic!

It takes me a while to figure out if I've given a record it's fair chance.

This Metallica was certainly not what I expected, but it turned out to be even better!

jedicrippler
06-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Has anyone checked out the Metallicavault site yet? It's not too bad. There's only 3 concerts uploaded at the moment (minus cover tunes, unfortunately), but it's a great idea. They've said they'll be adding more material over time. I downloaded the Middletown NY 1994 concert last night. Pretty good stuff. Great sound quality too. That one's 110 minutes long. The other 2 are about 98 & 96 minutes each. The concerts are broken up into individual songs for easier to digest dl's. And in case there's songs you may not want. Brilliant plan.

It'd be a great idea for other groups to try out. Maybe say, Aerosmith.;)

James Boba Fettfield
06-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Cover songs will be added shortly, jc. Metallica still has to work out the rights issues with the original songwriters.

That being said, The God That Failed they have for download on the vault is by far my favorite vault track.

El Chuxter
06-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Stupid, stupid, stupid question: I'm assuming Metallicavault is the exclusive site you can go to using the St Anger CD and the code they give you, right? What format are the tracks in, MP3?

And also, the new Hulk commercials have a pretty kickin' metal song with what sounds like a classic Slash solo in the background. Can anyone verify that this is by "The Project"?

mabudonicus
06-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I thought that Metallica was a band for burnouts, potheads and those long haired guys you would see walking down the hallway as they ditched class
ROFL!!! I don't know why I found that post so funny, man, but I did..
Anyways, I've heard most of it and I must say I like it well enough, much better than the last few opuses (that just don't look right) It's not an album that I would buy, but I wouldn't object to it playing at my house, if that means anything....
The "anger" seems a little bit silly to me now, though, and I guess that's the problem the band has been dealing with, trying to write songs with more of the classic attitude that also fit with the more melodic, musical side they've been leaning more heavily on... it just seems that "st anger" has a bit of an identity crisis or something...
sound-wise the album is excellent, real well put together other than that sloppy-as-heck drop-out on the "radio edit" of the title track... having spent a lot of time in a studio makes stuff like that jump out like a thunderclap.....
I would say that anyone who can find ANYTHING at all good about load and reload should find this album EXCELLENT... that's about the most "functional" comment I can think of...

jedicrippler
06-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Cover songs will be added shortly, jc. Metallica still has to work out the rights issues with the original songwriters.

That being said, The God That Failed they have for download on the vault is by far my favorite vault track.

Yeah, I'd heard something about that. Hopefully they can get it straightened out enough that they can put up whatever is missing from the '94 concert so I can burn the whole thing. It'll be the perfect music for at least the trip up to St. Louis (maybe I'll burn another concert for the trip back as well) for Ozzfest in July. Can't beat free music to listen to in the car & a free all day concert!:cool:

James Boba Fettfield
06-19-2003, 07:11 PM
128 kbps downloadable mp3's recorded straight off the sound board, Chuxter is what they are. Nice quality live clips, and there's no crowd noise to be heard.

As for that Hulk commercial and it being the Project's song for the movie, I don't know. I was thinking it was them playing, but I have yet to read anywhere where it is mentioned. I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

El Chuxter
06-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm going to definitely have to download all that. . . once I get a computer that can handle it. :(

Does anyone know the best way (for my future reference, since I can't do it now) to extract the audio from a DVD (eg, the live-in-studio version of St Anger) to CD for easy listening in a car?

As for that Hulk commercial and it being the Project's song for the movie, I don't know. I was thinking it was them playing, but I have yet to read anywhere where it is mentioned. I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I've confirmed since asking that question that is "The Project," now apparently called Velvet Revolver, doing their song, "Set Me Free." Not a huge Weiland fan, but the rest of the guys rule, and with all the remainder of the soundtrack being score by the talented Danny Elfman, this looks like a definite must-have CD. :)

Exhaust Port
06-29-2003, 07:00 PM
We'll I'm slowly making it through St. Anger and I have to admit there are some good songs on there. It's going to take me awhile before I pass final judgement on this disc though.

mabudonicus
07-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Hey fellows, little heads up for ya... tomorrow night (july 5) the local radio station is going to be broadcasting live from the metalica show at SkyDome in Toronto... prolly can't get the station where ya are, but the station has a "listen online" feature.... http://www.htzfm.com/ is where one would look... it'll prolly be kinda crummy, and you guys may know of a better feed, but there it is, if all you freaks survive 4th of July, check it out!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Tycho
07-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Just thought I'd share: I'm still listening avidly to St. Anger - it's playing right now as I type this post, and the CD's on the title track:

"with no regrets!"

scruffziller
07-05-2003, 11:37 AM
I'll have to say, I am rather impressed with St. Anger tha album.
The songs Frantic, Some Kind of Monster and Dirty WIndow have some real catchy melodies. St. Anger the song sounds better too now that I have put it through a loud sound system.

mabudonicus
07-05-2003, 01:55 PM
For anyone who cares, the Metallica day thing is on right now, they're doing an interview with Lars sometime after 5 pm EST (or daylight savings, or whatever, as I post this it's around 2:45 pm my time now, do the math:))
It sounds pretty good, if you can do the online radio thing check it out(the link to the station is above- check out what the contest winner for Metallica tickets did to win!!!)

scruffziller
07-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Don't forget to set your TiVo/Replay TV/Microsoft(equivelent)/VCR/etc.
on VH1 for Ultimate Albums: The Black Album.

Darth Jax
07-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Don't forget to set your TiVo/Replay TV/Microsoft(equivelent)/VCR/etc.
on VH1 for Ultimate Albums: The Black Album.

saw part of this. was mostly rehashed footage from behind the music and the video on the black album (can't recall at the moment but think it was a year and a half). had new interview footage cut with the documentary style footage that you've most likely already seen.

what i've found more interesting is just what vh1 considers ultimate albums. haven't seen too many episodes of the show, but the ones i have seen wouldn't necessarily rate 'ultimate album' status in my opinion. nice to see metallica rate, but i'd say they should've featured justice.

scruffziller
07-06-2003, 10:43 AM
saw part of this. was mostly rehashed footage from behind the music and the video on the black album (can't recall at the moment but think it was a year and a half). had new interview footage cut with the documentary style footage that you've most likely already seen.

what i've found more interesting is just what vh1 considers ultimate albums. haven't seen too many episodes of the show, but the ones i have seen wouldn't necessarily rate 'ultimate album' status in my opinion. nice to see metallica rate, but i'd say they should've featured justice.
No not really, to your rehashed footage analysis. It had more footage that I had never seen before. I think they rate it as an ultimate album because of its commercial success. And I think that is how they rate all of the ones they do. But I really liked this ep.

I hope Lars is going to continue to grow out his beard.:D
That would be ultra cool if he tours with the grizzly mountain man look.

Well JBF, you up for some heavy Black Album discussion???:happy:
I think as we go on. The albums that Metallica puts out, at first we will think they are garbage and/or selling out. And then as time passes, we look back and see them for the masterpieces they really are. And Black is nothing short of a masterpiece. So is Load, Reload, Garage Inc., SM, and eventually St. Anger.

James Boba Fettfield
07-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Jax, I think you're confusing this Ultimate Albums show with the Classic Albums show. At first I thought the same thing, but the Ultimate Album thing is different.

scruff, Lars has kept that sort of bearded look for the past month now, and from all the recent shows he's been sporting it still.

I'm up for Black Album discussion anyday. It's a great album, I just wish they'd do some shows about other albums sometime since they all focus on the black album. Then again, that record does have a lot of footage archived since Metallica had a film crew follow them for that album and its tour. Well, I can wish still for an Ultimate Albums: Ride the Lightning.

Tycho
07-07-2003, 03:29 AM
If anyone's interested, the most recent issue of Guitar magazine has 2 really cool interviews with Metallica, and with Zack Wylde and Jason Newsted. The latter 2 are either going to re-invent Ozzy Osbourne, or keep watching the show to see when they tick off the "old Man" so bad that he's home arguing with Sharon to fire them. Newsted says he's going to do his own "interpretation" of Ozzy Osbourne - the only thing is that the Carzy Man will be right there to decide what flies and what doesn't. But the way Zack and Jason tell it, Ozzy has lost all creative ability and lost his mind in an 80's revival movement a long time ago. He seems to have lost his confidence, too. He's telling Zack and Jason that he can't sing like he used to. Meanwhile, Jason wil be in Voivod and Ozzy's bands, and touring with the 2 together, thus on stage and pouring it out all dang night during Ozzfest. Brave dude. Dedicated too.

Says leaving Metallica was all about doing his independent things. He wanted a year off to do them. James said "no"

Meanwhile, Kirk said he was really afraid the band was going to fall apart when James went into rehab. He's really proud of James and everyone coing back and what they put in to St. Anger.

There's also a great short interview with Bob Rock, about the decisions going into the production of St. Anger.

Whatever they did, it worked. I can't stop listening to it!

"Hate me now!
Kill all within my hands!
Hate me now!
Crush all within my hands!

Love is control
I'll die if I let go!"

Geeze I play that CD probably 8 times a day!

"Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet!"

scruffziller
07-07-2003, 10:15 AM
So how would you rank the albums now.

I go.

Master of Puppets
Black
And Justice for All
Ride the Lightning
Load
ReLoad
Kill Em All
St. Anger

Tycho
07-07-2003, 11:50 AM
I can't stop listening to St. Anger to even think about that!

It's in my computer, it's in my truck CD player, it's on my DVD player so that it plays when I turn it on (I have a DVD changer). If I ever stop listening to it, I suppose that is when I'll figure out what No. 2 is, because I'd probably play a Metallica disc or something radically different like a John Williams CD.

Using what I want to get what you want!
Using what I want to get what you want!
Oooh Sweet Amber, how sweet are you?
Oooh Sweet Amber, how sweet does it get?

I die a little more
Then the Un-named Feeling, it comes alive!
Then the Un-named Feeling, takes me away!

mabudonicus
07-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Possible spoilers, if you don't wanna know the set list and stuff

I just heard- they're opening with "long way to the top", the ACDC tune... the set list has 2 from st.anger, frantic and the title, nothing from load/reload (at the televised after party, the band identified the albums as maybe being "too overproduced", which drew laughs from the crowd and sheepish looks from the band) and mebbe 2 from the black album.... all classic stuff, for the most part...

Tycho
07-07-2003, 03:57 PM
I'd hoped there would be more from St. Anger in the live show.

James Boba Fettfield
07-11-2003, 07:07 PM
My tickets finally came today via the UPS man. They look better than the normal tickets I've gotten from ticketb*******. Anyway, as for scruff's question to where St. Anger would rank in the catalog, I'd give it the fourth spot on my list.

Tycho
07-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Not to brag or anything, but I have 8 tickets in the 10th row for the show in L.A. and they were only $70 each. I'm not sure if that includes the service charge or not. My friend I work with has connections, so I let him get the tickets with knowledge that I would sell or invite 3 more people to cover the costs of my half of the batch.

Holding the lion's share
Holding the key
Holding me back because I'm striving to be:

BETTER THAN YOU!

Darth Jax
07-13-2003, 11:03 AM
i'd love to get my tix seeing as how ticketmaster charged my cc over 3 months ago. but since JBF got his about 2 weeks prior to show guess i'll just have to wait another couple of weeks.

James Boba Fettfield
07-13-2003, 05:36 PM
Just so I don't mislead you Jax with how my tickets came, but my tickets were ordered and shipped to me by a place called Music Today through Metallica's fan club, not Ticketmaster. I'm not sure how 'master works with sending tickets out in advance of shows, but Music Today's policy was sending them a week before the actual show. Just check ticketmaster's policy on shipping to see if they do wait until the show is closer to ship them, because with how expensive these tickets are, you don't want to miss the show.

2-1B
07-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Jax, did you sign it to your Ticketmaster account to check the status? It will say if the tickets have been printed and mailed or if they are still waiting.
I've experienced both short and long wait times with Ticketmaster . . .

Does anybody know where I might find a cool printable DVD insert for St. Anger? It is one of 4 or 5 CDs I have with a bonus DVD . . . and I'd like to make a nice DVD insert to display in my DVD collection.

Thanks. :)

Darth Jax
07-14-2003, 09:14 PM
i check with ticketmaster about once a week. they have my order on record but say they haven't sent out tix yet. just figured that since JBF ended up with tix about 2 weeks prior i could hope for the same timeframe. definitely not a show i want to miss. had just started a new job last time SS rolled through town so wasn't able to attend. anymore only time i even care about going to a show is if metallica's playing

James Boba Fettfield
07-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Tomorrow's the big day, friends. Hopefully I'll get to meet DJ Lethal and that nerdy looking guy from Linkin Park. Well, I'll let you guys know how the show was on Sunday when I wake up around 4pm and provided I'm still alive.

James Boba Fettfield
07-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Excellent show put on by Metallica.

Mudvayne and Deftones were a disappointment live. Maybe they're a studio only band, but live they were not something I'd want to see again.

Linkin Park, they disappointed me by telling the crowd to "smoke pot and mosh" during a song. Grow up guys, half of your audience are 14 year old girls.

Limp Bizkit, the first band I probably enjoyed when they started playing. I could actually understand what Fred was saying and they didn't have the sound too high so you could actually distinguish their instruments apart, unlike Deftones and Mudvayne.

Metallica came out at night, loved how they decided to enter the stage. 40 year old men and they put on a better show than the bands before them who are much younger. They played the classics, and Master of Puppets was played in full! I won't say too much more, since I know Jax and Tycho will be catching the show later. It's a good show guys, but if you see a band you don't want to watch before Metallica comes on, then I suggest getting out of the sun. I decided to watch all the bands in the hot sun, nearly had to leave the stadium during Linkin Park since I felt so sick.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Anyone see this article? Metallica is sueing a Canadian band for using the E and F chords. This is freakin' rediculous.

http://www1.scoopthis.com/411/met_uf/stc_met_uf_mtv.htm

They want 50% of all revenue generated by songs using them. Oh, come on.

mabudonicus
07-21-2003, 10:31 AM
WTF?!?!That has simply GOT TO BE a joke....... if not......
MAN..... I REALLY don't know about that.....
It's completely ludicrous... it must have been written to make Metallica look bad...

Exhaust Port
07-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Here's the same article supposedly on the Metallica website:

http://www1.scoopthis.com/411/met_uf/stc_met_uf.htm

Its strange that it appears to be on their website but if you enter the site from www.metallica.com you can't find this article anywhere. I even did a couple different searches and they all turned up nothing for this article. Perhaps someone spoofed the Metallica website and made up their own article.

mabudonicus
07-22-2003, 07:59 AM
According to one of my buddies the local station (that 97.7 chtz fm one) reported that the band (unfaith, I think) made the story up themselves as a publicity stunt... it makes sense... in a musical sense the grounds for the case are totally insane and impractical, almost as dumb as suing the cosmeticas company, or Spike Lee suing the new TNN over calling themselves "SPIKE"....

But according to reliable sources the article is fake.... time will tell... the sound-bites from this would be freakin hilarious if it's true... where's negativland when ya need em?!?!?

Exhaust Port
07-22-2003, 11:14 PM
I really hope that this is a joke as it's a great one. It pokes fun at the whole stupid file sharing thing. Lars comments about that look a little more ridiculous now. :)

Tycho
07-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Metallica is now prosecuting other bands for having long hair, drinking beer, and trying to play metal.

"And Justice For All."

ROTFLMAO!

Exhaust Port
07-24-2003, 08:20 PM
So what unique/collectible Metallica CD's do you have? True releases, not bootlegs.

The few that I've found over the years:

Kill'em All (first edition): includes Am I Evil? and Blitzkrieg

Creeping Death/Jump in the Fire E.P. compliation

..And Justice for All (Japanese Import): includes The Prince
Metallica (Japanese Import): includes So What?

Possibly the complete collection of singles from the Black Album minus the 3" Mini Discs of which I only have Enter Sandman. I haven't seen a full list so I've never checked.

The B-Sides on the singles are the best as most include a "Na-Na-Na" version of the albums songs as they are called. These are the early runs of the songs where James hasn't figured out all the lyrics and sings Na-Na-Na through the yet to be determined verses. They're hysterical! :D

What's in your CD rack?

Rogue II
07-24-2003, 08:33 PM
The only unique Metallica item I have is the S&M cd. I bought it in Korea, so there is an additional page in the insert booklet that is in Korean. I haven't seen the US version, so I don't know if there are any other additional differences.

Exhaust Port
07-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Boy I forgot one:

Garage Days Re-revisited (orginal release): Man I searched for this CD for years (before the days of the internet) and ended up finding it in a flea market outside of San Antonio. Of all places..... For a long time this CD was my pride and joy of my collection as I spent so much time looking for it and eventually found it. Now a days, you can go on eBay and pick it up without breaking a sweat.

James Boba Fettfield
07-25-2003, 10:51 AM
I know I'm a little late in saying this, but mab is right about that lawsuit thing. Unfaith created the whole thing for publicity.

Rare cd's of Metallica......

Um, I've got the Fan Can cd's and The Garage Remains The Same cd.
Nothing special really, just Fan Club exclusive items.