PDA

View Full Version : The Metallica Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Exhaust Port
07-25-2003, 12:01 PM
I've never really looked into it but do you get the Fan Can when you join the fan club or something?

2-1B
07-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Sludge posted a letter from the singer of Unfaith about the hoax . . .

Exhaust Port
07-25-2003, 01:15 PM
I came across this story mentioned on Snopes, the Urban Legend website. It seems this story made the rounds pretty quick.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/metallica.asp

El Chuxter
07-25-2003, 01:16 PM
I've got Garage Days Re-revisited on CD, and an import of a live performance from the Dave Mustaine days called Bay Area Thrashers. It'd be great, except it's edited so it's set up as only one track, and there's a horrid British announcer doing an introduction at the beginning.

Exhaust Port
07-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Isn't there a way with our modern technology that you could edit the CD into tracks and burn it to another disc?

El Chuxter
07-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but that would require work. :)

Exhaust Port
07-25-2003, 04:23 PM
Oh right, scratch that. :D

James Boba Fettfield
07-26-2003, 10:50 AM
EP, those fan cans you asked about are only available at certain times. In their fan club's ten year history they've only released four fan cans (which have a cd, video, a shirt, and a few other things). They're nothing too special, just live performances/rare oddities, nothing like unreleased songs. I also heard they can sometimes be found in stores, but I've never seen them there.

mabudonicus
07-31-2003, 12:25 PM
I just heard that Metallice is working out details for a winter sanitarium tour, in case anyone cares....
Yes, too, that crazy story was definitely a hoax of sorts, but a pretty brilliant one to be sure

Exhaust Port
07-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I see a change in a few Metallica poster avatars. We now have Menuto and the white rapper extrodinaire, Vanilla Ice. I think I have to wash out my eyes now.

"Drop the Zero and get with the Hero."

Exhaust Port
07-31-2003, 12:38 PM
<gasp> And the Nelson Twins? Oh my, this is a sick trend.

Darth Jax
08-02-2003, 02:10 AM
just back from the show, ears are still ringing. metallica was excellent, definitely showed why they became the most widely listened to metal band. tycho you'll be happy to know that linkin park sounded exactly as they do on disc. i'd always figured the were far too polished a sound to make it live, but they sounded good. not a huge deftones fan, but they also sounded like their discs live. was actually a little disappointed by bizkit's set. seemed like it was the shortest of all the opening acts. plus just wasn't quite right without seeing monkey-boy, i mean wes up there playing his guitar.

metallica played mostly what you'd expect from their classic catalog. rob did a good job but things were a little strange with no jason. certain songs you just expect some background vocals/noise and there was none. overall it seems that every time i see metallica they just get better and better.

i believe the set list was an attempt to appease/win back many of the fans that they'd lost with the recent studio releases they've done. they really haven't sounded like metallica ever since they cut their hair. kirk's hair is coming back very nicely though. enough rambling, gotta get some sleep

mabudonicus
08-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Hey Fellows, yesterday I won tickets to the maiden-Dio-MOTORHEAD show tomorrow in toronto... now I gotta figure out how the heck to get there:)!!!
If anyone's heading there and passing here, please let me know... If I'm lucky, JediElf and I will win the upgrade to front row seats, that would be SO sweet!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
\m/ :) \m/
PS- I won the tickets by calling the station and telling them I would sing "Holy Diver" on the air... they took me upon it and I did it right up... just thought that youse would find that funny... the DJ told me off-air that it brought a tear to her eye, she's about my age (30) and lived through it in the day

Needles
08-05-2003, 01:06 AM
i am extremely late to this convorsation
i am a big metalhead
a metalhead who lost all faith in the band that perfected heavy metal
St.Anger is a disgrace to even the biggest metallica fan.I will admit that ive only been listening to Metallica for about a month,most of their songs are great,some not,I cannot stand teh new cd,i can stand rap(which i cant stand) longer than any song on the Metallica CD! :mad:

mabudonicus
08-05-2003, 09:39 AM
OUCH.... ah well, not everybody enjoys it I guess... Frantic is in power rotation here and it kindas sounds like Fozzie bear singing IMO...
But I digress... the show was good fun..
MOTORhead went on at 7, so by the time we were at our seats therer were only 2 songs left... as usual, they were loudest by far..
DIO was awesome, best bit was him grabbing a giant pair of foam devil horns and hoisting them with much conviction, LMAO at that point, and there was this crazy drum solo that was mixed with "1812 overture" on the PA... it was sheer metal nuttiness... it was so "BIG" it didn't even make sense (oh, and he did "Stargazer", what a rush)
Iron Maiden were good as usual, lots of energy onstage, opened with "number of the beast" with the number in huge bright lights, to flash at the chorus, AWESOME!!!
Their set list had a few clunkers in it though, like "heaven can wait", "fear of the dark" and "clansman" (at least they're nowhere near my favourites)
If you get a chance and like any of the bands, they're in top flight and this tour would be a fine way to check them out.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
\m/ :D \m/

Tycho
08-05-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm not going to be able to go.

I can't fill all the 4 seats I was offered or support the extra expense, so here I am 5 days before the concert, having to pull out :cry:

My colleage is going to be able to get the tickets to another group he has in mind to sell them to, or e-Bay them. But I can't justify spending the extra cash.

They were $70 each, and that's a lot of money times 4.

I heard they were extending the tour. Hopefully they'll do a date in San Diego.

So low the sky is all I see
all I want from you is forgive me

so I cry to the alleyway
confess all to the rain
but i lie straight to the mirror
the one I've broken to match my face

so as I write to you
of what is done and to do
maybe you'd understand
and won't cry for this man
because Lowman is due

please forgive me!

Needles
08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
well,metallica isnt my cup of tea.
i think there too soft to be considered "heavy metal"
bands like lamb of god,cradle of filth,shadows fall,hatebreed,and killswitch engage are actual "heavy metal".Anyband that i can start a moshpit is good by me............unless there metallica playing songs form "st.anger".I sure hope they arent on "ozzfest 2004" next summer,they'd ruin the show!
anyway,how did the other bands at the "sanitarium tour" do?

Darth Jax
08-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Tycho, let me offer you my condolences. like to tell you the show sucked, but was totally the opposite. you'd have enjoyed hearing linkin park as well. amazing that they can pull off the sound live. but for unused tix $70 is just too much to pay. if they rolled back through town i'd be back in a heartbeat.

Needles, you'll find most of us that frequent this post are die-hard metallica fans. metal doesn't get any better. the rest of the show was good. mudvayne was gone so fast if you blinked you missed their set, hard to rate. deftones were ok, chino had hurt himself so basically just stood and sang. better than pulling out as was rumored to happen. linkin park sounded great. wasn't too impressed by bizkit, but not a big fan to start with. seemed odd without wes. fred just couldn't quite pull it off himself. seemed to leave out some of their bigger songs and included their cover of sanitarium and behind blue eyes. metallica was great and really only played the old stuff. 2 off the new one and only fuel from load/reload. don't look for metallica playing ozzfest - too much competition with ozzy for top billing. plus the summer sanitarium tours have come off very well and left them plenty of time off the road for other endeavours.

Needles
08-05-2003, 10:45 PM
dotn get me wrong,i like metallica,but the new cd just sucked,thats just me,there old stuff is great though.
ive never been to any good concerts yet,ive yet to see any bands i like,but next summer around august 18-19 im going to OZZFEST with my brother.I have a question to everyone thats die hard metallica fan to tell me what was heavy metal back in 1980-1993?Is it anything like todays metal scene?the metal scene im growing up on?(im only 14)

Darth Jax
08-05-2003, 11:07 PM
what you need to consider is that while metallica, pantera, anthrax, and megadeth made metal sell to the mainstream music market there were many other 'heavier bands' during that time period. IMO metal is best classified by those 4 bands. there were plenty of thrash, speed, and death metal bands around as well, they just didn't achieve the notoriety. you can say motorhead and most people will know who you're talking about, but mention diamond head, venom, or angel witch and people scratch their heads (all are bands that influenced metallica). same thing happens with todays metal scene you have bands like coal chamber, COC, hatebreed and many others that don't achieve commercial success and so are unknown to those not into that genre of music. for every metallica that made it there were tens to hundreds of napalm deaths, metal churchs, and overkills that toiled in relative obscurity.

when i was growing up the punk scene was sex pistols, clash and ramones. now you've got the mainstream acts green day, good charlotte and the like. each generation has their own 'scene' and assumes its always better and different than the one before it. as travis birkenstock so eloquently said in clueless 'the way i feel about the rolling stones is the way my children will feel about NIN'

Needles
08-05-2003, 11:19 PM
thanks,your generation is making a comeback,with metallica's sanitarium tour,Iron maiden/dio/megadeth(or motorhead) tour,and led zeppelins new biography dvd.That be nice for you and the rest of your generation.
i will always think of my generation as the best though,:D.
does anyone here like any of the new metal bands?

mabudonicus
08-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Sorry I got here a bit late..
Jax, nice mentions of Metal Church (AWESOME band) and overkill:)!!!
Needles, the metal "scene" was pretty huge, and in the mainstream basically covered everything from hard rock (like GnR) to real heavy metal (like venom) with a LOT of "supporting characters" (like the surfers, sorta underground punk/metal) and Black Flag (also sorta punk/metal)
I remember the first time I heard "run to the hills", after having lived up north and listened to country on AM radio (the FM revolution played a pretty big role in the early 80's as well) and it BLEW my freakin mind... I was prolly 9 or 10 and music (which at the time was michael jackson and lionel ritchie in the main-mainstream, IIRC) transformed FOREVER in that very instant.....
All of a sudden I truly knew speed and power... lots of GREAT shows (motorhead and slayer on the same bill, nuff said) low ticket prices.... man was it great... in a summer one could see almost ALL yer fave bands, some in mega shows...
And the production of music was different, too, with more emphasis being placed on actually being able to play your chosen instrument REAL WELL.... this is what led to the grunge backlash, as by the late 80's you had to be pretty awesome on guitar or drums or have a great voice to really "make it"... grunge was an almost cynical "look, we don't have to be all good or anything" type of reaction that told THIS cowboy that it was time to get off the bus......... sorry, Needles, metal was just too good to last in a big way, now it is impossible to even play real metal and sell millions of copies... the new metallica album proves this as you so astutely point out (NOT saying it's a bad album, just not REAL METAL... see the ANVIL song of the same name for a sort of epitaph to the greatest form ever invented)
Nu-metal...... Pshaw!!!!! Give me twin guitars, double bass thunder and a vocalist with a 4 octave range anyday!!!
PS- what is with nickleback?? Every darn song is about some guy fighting with his live-in girlfriend or something...... I'd rather hear about guys leading armies of immortals to conquer enemies, or songs about seducing lovely ladies with guitar prowess.... what is WITH the modern scene?? Now I'm depressed.. think I'll go think about POWER for a while:D

PPS man I've edited this sucker like 4 times...
"Frantic" is on the radio and the "live it or lie it" line, for some reason, makes me sing "You break it, you buy it"... try it, you might like it!!

Needles
08-06-2003, 01:28 PM
i too hate nickelback,there just a cheesy hard rock band,i dont even think you can call them a cheesy hard rock band.i still think my metal scene is harder,most of the actualy metal bands are awesome,hard,and kick arse.As for your metal scene,i havent actually heard any band that was actual metal,except for Anthrax's "safe home" and i cant find it anywhere on kazaa.:(
Marilyn manson
hatebreed
Black label society
cradle of filth
lamb of god
1 queens of the stone age song("avon")
killswitch enegage
drowning pool
korn
shadows fall
deftones
E-Town Concrete
Sworn enemy
Strapping young lad
Godsmack
SOAD
Memento
Static-X
Disturbed
Nirvana
Linkin Park
adema
sevendust

these are my favorite bands,ive heard many songs by them,and are great
they may not compare to your metalscene in the early 90's and 80's.And can anyone tell me a couple songs by some of the older metal bands?

Darth Jax
08-07-2003, 12:56 AM
you want great metal songs from the elder statesmen generation. here's some that i'd consider some of the greatest songs ever:

pantera-cowboys from hell
testament-practice what you preach
-agony
anthrax-caught in a mosh
-imitation of life
-only
-finale
D.R.I-you say i'm scum
-labeled uncurable
helmet-unsung
iron maiden-run to the hills
judas priest-hellpatrol
-breaking the law
megadeth-take no prisoners
-holy wars
overkill-coma
rollins band-liar
suicidal tendencies-send me your money
course can't forget metallica - anything off the 1st 4 albums

and not exactly metal but a few heavy classics
deep purple-smoke on the water
guns n roses-welcome to the jungle
faith no more-epic
ozzy-iron man
-bark at the moon

others will be along to give their opinions i'm sure. there are many others but these are what come to mind immediately

Tycho
08-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Nobody mentioned Saliva.

Their music rocks!

mabudonicus
08-07-2003, 09:47 AM
DIO-stand up and shout

Anvil- ANYTHING (pretty much)
Venom- Anything
Raven- Athletic Rock, All for One (lots of Raven is good, tune names escape me)
Xentrix- Dilute to taste (anything you can find by them actually, a lot like early metallica/megadeth, I really like's em)
Early Surfers (left out the first half of the name) like "cherub" or "graveyard"
Saxon- Crusader, Denim and Leather, Power and the Glory
MANOWAR- (album titles)"Battle Hymns", "Into Glory Ride", "sign of the Hammer","triumph of Steel", "Kings of Metal", "Fighting the World", "Louder than Hell"
Iron Maiden (songs)"Wrathchild", "Murders in the Rue Morgue","Sanctuary"
Metal Church.. any of the earlier stuff, titles escape me...
And a really great metal band from across the pond, "Gamma Ray" Any of their stuff is all really great, and they're still around and heavy
Primal Fear- "Nuclear Fire"
Helloween "keeper of the seven keys I and II"

Keep in mind, much of this list is more power/melodic metal, not so much death and thrash...
Everything I have named I would recommend to any metalhead..... let me know what you think, needles..
Oh, and JBF- if you don't recognize anything on the list, seek it out, you'll love it I guarantee:)

Needles
08-07-2003, 10:29 AM
here are spme great songs that are great for the ideal goth! and Metalhead like me!

Marilyn manson songs:
Coma white
The nobodies
grea big white world
sweet dreams
thats just a few of them.

cradle of filth:
any of there songs,they all sound alike

Sworn enemy:
as real as it gets
these tears of blood
SWORN ENEMY

Memento:
Nothing sacred

E.Town Concrete:
in the heart of the wolves
mandibles
more than incredible
punch the walls

Shadows fall:
art of balance
thoughts without words
destroyer of senses

linkin park:
faint
crawling
more that i cant think of right now

El Chuxter
08-07-2003, 11:40 AM
I'd like to throw out a couple of metal gems from Kiss, on some of the rare occasions they went for crunch over flash:

War Machine
Hate
The Jungle
Within
Psycho Circus

In fact, even if you're sorta turned off by the whole "comic character" aspect of the band, you can't go wrong with the Creatures of the Night, Animalize, and Carnival of Souls albums.

James Boba Fettfield
08-08-2003, 07:07 PM
I'm hesitant to suggest, but I'll let some recommendations go.

Check out Voivod, particularly their newest album. I listened to it just to see what Jason Newsted was doing, and was very surprised. Good sounding music, and you can understand the words being spoken, unlike some of the "harder" bands of today. And I'll second what mabudon said about Anvil, they're another great band. Again, great music and the vocals are understandable unlike many cookie monster sounding vocalists of today.

When I saw Metallica a few weeks ago I was standing in the line for a $5 Coke and I saw a skinny bald guy with an Anvil shirt on. It said Anvil and the picture on the front was that of an anvil. I was then reminded of mabudon's praise of the band and Metal on Metal's chorus started playing in my head. Weird story, but I thought I'd mention it for mab.

I also mention Mercyful Fate just because they're fun. If you like songs about Satan or other evil things, then they're the band for you.

mabudonicus
08-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Cool, JBF... "cookie monster" ROFL:D....

I have a similar story, sorta... a buddy of mine was at a KISS show a few years back in Toronto, and there were 2 skinny guys with Anvil shirts on drinking beer.. my buddy, a pretty gregarious guy, went up to them and said "Anvil ROCK, man!!" and they said "Thanks... we ARE Anvil." and they were!!
Honestly, if Anvil are EVER anywhere you can see them, GO..... I can guarantee that if you wanted to meet the band it would easily happen, and Lips (the leader) is a really funny, down-to-earth guy who is more than pleased to talk metal with fans (I swear I talked to him for more than an hour once)... oh, and interesting point, he doesn't drink, so you're gonna catch him sober and collected, which is a plus..
The new Voivod is pretty fun, alright, heavier than most of the stuff I listed...
\m/ :) \m/

Exhaust Port
08-09-2003, 11:28 AM
... a buddy of mine was at a KISS show a few years back in Toronto, and there were 2 skinny guys with Anvil shirts on drinking beer.. my buddy, a pretty gregarious guy, went up to them and said "Anvil ROCK, man!!" and they said "Thanks... we ARE Anvil." and they were!!

That's funny! :D :D :D

Needles
08-17-2003, 03:36 PM
last thursday as i was going down to florida with my family for vacation,i put on metallicas new album...........and i had a change of heart with metallica,thew new cd actually kicked arse.
but the songs are just to friggin long.
im not really into songs about satan(marilyn Manson is mostly just out there to prove god doesnt exist and show how bad the state of teh world is in right now.)
Cradle of filth..........i dont understand 1 word there saying,but,the songs are awesome and the band......very wierd,they were arrested outside the vatacin for wearing "i love satan" t-shirts,i thought that was pretty funny.Cradle of filth is obviously a goth band,another thing about them............they collect toys....lots of them..........there in there early thirties as well.they're on Ozzfest this summer too,there first big american tour(there british)
now why in the world did i just write an entire paragraph on a goth band in a metallica thread?

anyway,everyone check out Cradle and Manson,:)

Exhaust Port
09-04-2003, 10:23 AM
I think it was on VH1 that I was watching a show about Metallica the other day and they had comments from Lars regarding the fallout over the Napster issue. It seemed that he changed his tune quite a bit. He said that he had no issue with people sharing their music, just that he didn't like the early versions or unfinished versions of the new songs being released and spread around.

What? He had no problem now with people sharing Metallica songs as long as they are of the final version and not early attempts? What happened to the whole crusade to stop artists from losing money due to file sharing? Perhaps Lars got sick of being the poster child for the cause or got afraid of turning the fans off. Interesting.

mabudonicus
09-04-2003, 12:47 PM
That makes sense, they really did (and I guess Lars in particular) make themselves look like total idiots over the whole issue... I saw a bit on TV a year or two ago, Lars was asked why the really rabid, gotta have it all fans were such a problem, and Lars said "we don't need fans like that" and then held his hand up and said "B-BYE!!!! Get lost, if you don't want what we put out and don't want to buy it, we don't want you as fans"... it made me so mad I immediately felt comfortable with my belief that the "black" album and everything after it (except for the re-release of garage days) is just uninspired, dollar-sign garbage... I liked 'em when they really did love their fans, and were genuinely pleased to have so much support despite having really low-level promotion....
They really truly are a bunch of big-headed, largely talent free hacks resting on laurels that they seem ashamed of....
Sorry, any performer that can tell the folks who put them where they are to go suck lemons deserves whatever they got comin.... like being responsible for some of the crummiest pseudo heaviness ever packed into a metal sleeve...
STANSE would kick their collective BUTT, and they're hardly even real

Exhaust Port
09-04-2003, 01:04 PM
I've never seen the rest of Metallica comment on this topic. I always got the sense that Lars was speaking HIS mind and not that of the others even though he said that Metallica was against the file sharing. I got this impression that maybe others in the Metallica camp told him to tone it down.

I still think that Metallica is one of the best fan oriented bands out there. It seems most others in the industry are too caught up showcasing what they've bought with their millions than giving us anything that we, as fans, really would care to see. I can't think of any other band that shares as much of their own work as well as putting experimental cover songs out as frequently as Metallica. Their CD B-sides are great collections of these cover songs as well as early and different versions of they current releases. Live Sh*t, Binge and Purge was an awesome release. Tons of live stuff as well as the videos.

In 10-20 years we'll still be hearing Metallica songs on the radio where as the dime a dozen "metal" bands today will be long gone. As much as people love to trash their work of the last 15 years, once they're gone it will be a key part of the genre. Look at the varied musical styles of the Beatles. Either you grew with the band as they changed or you got hung up on their "teenage" years. Now a days, their entire collection of work is amazing BECAUSE it's varies and experiemented.

I remember "true" metal fans blasting ...and Justice for All because it became commercial and wasn't like Kill 'em All. The next album drew even more negativity which makes it funny to hear how people treat that album as the pinnicle for the band.

mabudonicus
09-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Sorry, I really am not trying to put ANY fans of the band down... I am a total headbanger, so much so that I listen to Jazz in the background rather than the local "rock" station because jazz has more in common with what I like about metal than "metal" these days...
Real synergy, players pushing their instruments to the melting point, fans holding their hands tight to their ears, ceilings crumbling, "metal faces" interspersed with wide, knowing grins....
All's I'll say is that any "metal" by which you can accomplish any task other than smashing your face through the wall is not metal at all... alt-rock or even adult-contemporary (think load and reload)
I am not ashamed of my narrow mindedness, it actually saves me a lot of time and money...

Again, just wanted to make it clear, everyone likes what they like, I was just commenting on the actual "politics" behind the band being radically un-metal, just like KISS being almost antithetical to what rock and roll was/is really all about... I LOVE the early stuff to death, but there came a time when they totally lost "it", but because of the way the recording industry works, by that point it no longer mattered... same thing with metallica, sure they're experimental, but that wasn't the point... like bruce willis' album, "return of bruno"... it sold lotsa units, and it was sure as heck experimental, but so what??? I don't want to hear someone who's great at one thing do another thing poorly, it just don't follow...

James Boba Fettfield
09-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Anybody happen to get a listen to Maiden's Dance of Death album yet? I haven't been too active online to read any reviews or hear samples and such, so my first listen through to it is going to be somewhat interesting. I'll check back in later with my impressions once I get ahold of a copy.

El Chuxter
09-10-2003, 03:21 PM
Not yet, but I plan to pick it up tonight. The computer-graphic cover looks kinda "eh" to me, but it's still Maiden. :)

Anyone noticed that James Hetfield contributes a track on a recent tribute to Waylon Jennings? It also has John Mellencamp, so I'll probably be getting it at some point.

James Boba Fettfield
09-10-2003, 05:58 PM
That tribute cd was supposed to be released months ago...February was the release date at one point, but it's good to see it finally hit some weeks back. I got the cd for the Hetfield track (much like I did when I bought the Nascar albums, the M:I-2 soundtrack, The Ramones tribute, Biker Boys soundtrack, etc.)

As for that Hetfield track, it was different than what I expected. I was thinking more of a Mama Said Hetfield vocal performance, but it was different from that. It's my favorite track off the album, but I won't deny my bias judging. I'm not familiar with the original Waylon version of Outlaw, but I like what Hetfield put together by himself to honor his late friend and one of the great outlaws of country music.

El Chuxter
09-12-2003, 01:12 PM
I finally bought the new Maiden on the way home. I heard the first three tracks, then left it in my car for this morning's commute. (My wife hates heavy metal.) But on the way to work, after hearing the sad news, I really wanted to listen to JC's Unchained. It's especially eerie now to hear "Meet Me In Heaven." I'd admit it made me misty-eyed this morning, but this is the Metallica thread and I don't to get beat up.

My "so-far" opinions on Maiden:

"Wildest Dreams" is a good classic Maiden song.
"Rainmaker" is so far the best of the three. (Is it just me, or is the track with the coolest title always the best song on any Maiden album?)
"No More Lies" has some truly awesome guitar work, even by Maiden standards.
The cover still sucks.

El Chuxter
09-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Wow, no more comments on the new Maiden in a week? Weirdness. It's an excellent album, and y'all should pick it up.

Here's a tidbit I was alerted to that may have slipped under some of y'all's rader, so to speak, since it concerns a pseudo-metal band not much liked in this thread: the limited edition release of Nickelback's new CD features as a bonus track a cover of Elton John's classic "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," with guest axeman Dimebag Darrell tearing through one of the underappreciated Davey Johnstone's most classic riffs. Aside from the Dimebag appearance, it sounds like a fairly typical Nickelback song (and there's a couple of minor, but extremely unfortunate, changes to Bernie Taupin's lyrics).

Rogue II
09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Actually, I saw the video for and Iron Maiden song on Headbanger's Ball. The video reminded me of the game "Megarace 2." The song was pretty good.

James Boba Fettfield
09-24-2003, 03:41 PM
The Maiden album didn't do much to really excite me. It's what you'd expect Iron Maiden to put out as an album. That being said, if you like Maiden, you'll like Dance of Death. My favorite track is Montsegur with Rainmaker making a very close second favorite track. I'll still keep Brave New World ranked over this album, though, unless I grow to like it more after some time passes.

mabudonicus
09-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Hmmmmm, not as good as "Brave new world" yet??? Hmmm... I've still only heard wildest dreams, and I didn't like the moonchild-like repetition... that's the problem with seeing them live, the set list is all "repeat" songs with killer stuff like "murders in the rue morgue" and "charlotte the harlot" being totally forgotten...

I want to pick it up (new maiden)... I just keep forgetting about it and with another bicycle getting stolen this week, priorities have been determined by fate (can't even get to music stores without a bike and a new lock MAN I hate thieves, I'm gonna break the legs offa anyone even looking at my yard)

Oh, and Chux, that cover was playing like mad here, I heard it many times.... what are the lyrics changed??? (PM me if it's too much, I gotta know)

El Chuxter
09-25-2003, 03:42 PM
I thought maybe Nickelback was a decent pop/rock band based on "How You Remind Me" and "Never Again" (and the lead guy's work on "Hero" and "Why Don't You And I?"), but I actually heard the new album. My God, they are dumb. I hope this isn't the future of hard rock. :(

I pulled up the lyrics online to both versions, and they both sound like the right ones to me. Here's the original Bernie Taupin lyrics, with changed lyrics in italics and the changes in red:

It's getting late have you seen my mates [I haven't seen my date]
Ma [So] tell me when the boys get here
It's seven o'clock and I want to rock
Want to get a belly full of beer

My old man's drunker than a barrel full of monkeys [bar full of winos]
And my [his] old lady she don't care
My sister looks [sister's lookin'] cute in her braces and boots
A handful of grease in her hair

Don't give us none of your aggravation
We had it with your discipline
Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in

Get about as oiled as a diesel train
Gonna set this dance [town] alight
'Cause Saturday night's the night I like [Saturday night's the night I like]
Saturday night's alright alright alright

Well they're packed [P...P...P...P...Packed] pretty tight in here tonight
I'm looking for a dolly who'll [woman to] see me right
I may use a little muscle to get what I need
I may sink a little drink and shout [I'll drink a fifth of jack and scream] out "She's with me!"

A couple of the sound that I really like
Are the sounds of a switchblade and a motorbike
I'm a juvenile product of the working class
Whose best friend floats in [from] the bottom of a glass

mabudonicus
09-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks, man:D.... not as bad as I imagined, but still kinda silly....

I'm gonna shoot for that new Maiden mebbe tonight
\m/

BTW hear about that acetate Black Sabbath, with one previously unheard'released tune and a real early demo of "The Wizard" from the mid-late 60's???? That sounds pretty cool... that's all I know about it though, sorry!!!!

James Boba Fettfield
10-14-2003, 12:15 PM
I know I haven't posted anything for awhile, but I just read about this today and I thought it might be funny enough to share:

Metallica's James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich are featured in a new commercial promoting the Talk Phone add-on for instant messages as part of AOL's new 9.0 Optimized service. According to Adweek, the ad sees "a hardcore-looking dude IMing another bulky, studded type. 'I'm madly in love with you,' the first types. 'I'm madly in lust with you,' responds the second. This is an advertising shocker: starry-eyed beefy men professing their love — not over beers but on the Internet. We start getting the picture when the first types back, 'I'm madly in anger with you,' then picks up the phone and plays a dazzling guitar riff. They are James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich of Metallica. The song, 'St. Anger', is off their latest album. The spot is honest and funny, with a dazzling build."

:greedy: I guess they're taking their already strong relationship with Time Warner and making commercials for them. :greedy:

scruffziller
10-14-2003, 01:20 PM
I wonder if they have made any comments on the return of Napster.

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Who? Lar$$? :D

James Boba Fettfield
10-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Anybody else hear the rumor that Metallica has broken up?

Exhaust Port
10-21-2003, 10:18 PM
No. You'd think that it would be announced all over the radio if that happened. Hopefully it's not true.

James Boba Fettfield
10-21-2003, 10:29 PM
That's what I mean, it's nothing official or anything. And some radio DJ's have been saying Metallica has split (supposedly because of something happening between Lars and James). It comes from a report that Metallica just cancelled their tour dates for South America and Japan without any specific explanation. So far that's been reported by everyone, except the official Metallica website. The reasons for the dates getting axed is because of the vague "mental and physical exhaustion". But Metallica's been off for two months now and they haven't really been doing any hard touring this past summer and spring.

Anyway, this news about the dates being cancelled happened Friday, and sources said Metallica was supposed to release something on Monday, and here it is Tuesday without anything. The official Met Club (the paid membership website) is just kind of shut down right now. People are asking about Metallica possibly playing these dates another time and such, and no one from their fan club staff is responding, which is unusual since all other times their fan club staff does respond to these kind of things. Anyway, I'm not too worried yet, but all of these rumors and lack of reports from Metallica do have me wondering.

Darth Jax
10-22-2003, 12:48 AM
wouldn't be the first time those rumors have flown. metallica was supposedly down for the count after the ouster of jason. somehow they managed to get an album out without a bass player. even toured with new bass player and sounded darn good.

remember the endless tours at the time of the black album, over a full year on the road. now some weekend dates through the summer are more than the band can handle. i hate to say it but maybe they are getting old.

JBF, you're generally on top of these things, keep us updated. i don't listen to the radio much and hadn't gotten even an inkling that those rumors were surfacing again.

James Boba Fettfield
10-22-2003, 06:38 AM
In all honesty, I'm leaning towards something happening to a member in their personal lives. I mean, as a band they just filmed the video for the Unnamed Feeling and that went well.

As for personal problems, I mean things like Hetfield getting back to his old drinking ways, something happening to a family member, etc. I hope it's none of these things. As odd as it is for me to say it, if it's really physical exhaustion and about not being as young as they used to be, then that's great, because at least their still together and well.

Exhaust Port
10-22-2003, 06:39 PM
It'll be interesting to hear what sparked these rumors.

James Boba Fettfield
10-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Well, after many days of waiting as to why they shows might of been cancelled with an official announcement from the band, this is what we got.

"No one's been hurt." That comes from the guy who moderates and controls Metallica's Fan Club message board. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I feel for the people who had tickets to these shows. I'd be upset if Metallica cancels their tour and didn't offer an explanation other than being exhausted.

Is it wrong for me to think that way? :confused:

Exhaust Port
10-23-2003, 06:49 PM
I see no problem with a band cancelling a show or tour as long as they give fair warning and they reimburse the full ticket price, preferably including the cost for the ticketmaster charges.

James Boba Fettfield
10-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Ok, Metallica has finally said the reasons for cancelling those dates:

Metallica regrettably announced today that they are canceling their South American tour, which was set to begin on October 25th. All shows have been cancelled, and no dates have been rescheduled at this time.

The band cited physical injury and mental exhaustion as the reason for the cancellations. Stated Metallica’s James Hetfield, “Between reconnecting recording, and touring St. Anger, we’ve been going non-stop for the last eighteen months, and, simply put, we are fried…both in body and in mind.”

In particular, drummer Lars Ulrich, is being treated for a recurring rotator cuff injury, dating back to their 1991-93 “Black Album” tour, and has been advised to continue to rest his shoulder in order to avoid any further aggravation to the injury.

Said Lars Ulrich of the cancellation, “Nothing, and I mean NOTHING disappoints us more than not being able to follow through on our commitments. It’s been too long since we last toured South America, and I hope that our friends there will understand that for Metallica to cancel these shows, there has to be a pretty heavy reason. In order for us to play “the Metallica way”, we have to be at our absolute best. If not, we are not giving our fans what they expect from us… and what we demand from ourselves.”

Bassist Robert Trujillo added, “We sincerely apologize to the fans, the promoters, and everyone involved in bringing Metallica down to South America, and truly hope to play for you all in the near future.”

Guitarist Kirk Hammett summed up the band’s feelings this way: “This is the first time in our twenty-two year history that Metallica have cancelled a tour, and we are beyond disappointed. Our decision was not an easy one, but it became obvious to all four of us that if we don’t take care of ourselves now, we’ll be no good to anyone in the future.”

Metallica will now begin their “Madly In Anger With You World Tour” in Tokyo, Japan on November 6.

I guess it's sort of bad news, but at least all is still well with the band.

Exhaust Port
10-23-2003, 10:34 PM
First tour cancellation in 22 years? Wow, that's impressive. If GnR had lasted this long they would have racked up at least 25-30 cancellations in that time. :D

mabudonicus
10-24-2003, 01:07 PM
All may seem well, but big names like McTallica NEVER let the real deal out til the dust has settled..... think of KISS and some of the things that happened there, I recall a whole bunch of totally believable excuses for what was happening with Ace and Peter, turns out it was the same deal as always, gene and paul were being really unfair to Ace and Peter, money wise, and trying to find a way to get what they wanted and still look good.
That "mental exhaustion" thing is pretty bogus, too, I mean, what does it MEAN??? I heard all of St.Anger, and that wasn't a very complex album at all, I could;ve recorded that business in 2 weeks tops (AND I woulda left the solos IN), no lie... the songwriting isn't anything too special either (not an opinion, it almost seems like they were trying NOT to be "about" anything in particular)....
Touring??they toured for 6 months, have been having sound problems at a lot of the shows (witness accounts, I personally didn't see 'em)...
Sounds to me like McTallica is all washed up and doesn't have the stones to admit it.... IMO it was all over in the days leading up to the expulsion of Newsted, now they're just trying to scrape the barrel clean... if cliff were still alive he'd prolly kill the rest of the band with his bare hands
Just my buck sixty five.... mark my words, though, they're finished, just trying to buy time with this "to be our best we have to rest" garbage
And the "fans" angle?? If thery cares for their fans they'd use lars injury as a great reason to get a real good drummer :D

Darth Jax
08-08-2004, 03:40 AM
while watching SKOM earlier today i had the thought, what if Load/ReLoad had never happened? If the band had gone straight from the black album to St. Anger would it have been better received?

i must admit that with each successive album release i get more and more disappointed by my initial listening. not since ...AJFA have i been thrilled by new metallica material. yet with time and repeated listening each album has grown on me, i've even gotten to the point where i don't cringe at Load/ReLoad.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 02:40 AM
At the Rob Zombie concert tonight, they were playing some fan requests and when people yelled for Metallica they started doing Enter Sandman and played most of it. Rob sounded really good on it actually, I was impressed.

Nothing can top Papa Het of course, but Zombie did a nice job with it. :)

Tycho
07-21-2006, 03:08 AM
You're so lucky you got to see Rob Zombie! I was in the hospital when he played here in San Diego (April 19th I believe). He played a poor forum here too, if you ask me. It was more like an underground club whereas I'd rather see him in a real concert hall or arena style. Anyway, in true fan spirit, I was almost dying that night anyway, so "Living Dead Guy" will be a new song that Zombie dedicates to me. :p

Darth Jax
07-21-2006, 07:20 AM
since Tycho dredged up this old thread guess i'll mention that Metallica is set to make their debut on the simpsons for the season opener on sept. 10.

2-1B
07-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Tycho, I almost got to meet him too but security was tight outside afterward and they kept us WAYYYYY back from the tour busses. :(

His new bass player did come over by us though, as did Frank Bello and Joey Belladonna from Anthrax. I got pics with all 3 of them. :) No Rob though, but I was hoping! :D
He did come out after the show in Milwaukee though back in the springtime and I'm ticked that I missed that one. :(

Lousy Green Bay security. :mad:

Tycho
07-21-2006, 11:12 PM
That's so cool Caesar!

2-1B
07-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks Ty, and tonight I snagged 3 members of the Alice Cooper band, I was pretty stoked. :D

That's enough of my rock concert papparazzi act for awhile though, no more shows like this on the radar for the foreseeable future. :(

Tycho
07-22-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm going to Queensryche in October. I have awesome seats and the whole premium package. I can't wait!

LusiferSam
07-25-2006, 11:57 PM
iTunes just add the Metallica catalog to it's store! Thank you Apple.

El Chuxter
11-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Okay, I'm throwing together an MP3 CD of Metallica's studio stuff. (I'm omitting the live stuff, with the possible exception of S&M, just so there aren't 4,736 versions of individual songs.) I haven't listened to them in a little while, and had forgotten how good everything except St Anger is (and how disappointing St Anger is).

Here's the list of what I have on hand. Are there any "Oh my God, you have to include this" tracks not represented here that I should look into obtaining?

Albums:
Kill 'Em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All
Metallica
Load
Reload
S&M
Garage Inc
St Anger

"I Disappear" (Mission Impossible II soundtrack)
"Don't You Think this Outlaw Business Done Got Out of Hand" (James Hetfield on I've Always Been Crazy)

I have the Spawn soundtrack, too, but don't much care for "Satan" or the remix of "For Whom the Bell Tolls," so I'm skipping them.

Rogue II
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
S&M is a live album, so I guess you let one slip in, eh?

Is that both discs of the Garage album? I'm pretty sure that album has Stone Cold Crazy and Breadfan.

El Chuxter
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, I kept the two new tracks from S&M, but the whole thing wouldn't fit. :(

I was indeed counting both discs of Garage Inc, which means the (then) new stuff, Garage Days Revisited, Garage Days Re-Revisited, and several assorted B-Sides. Including "Stone Cold Crazy" and "Breadfan."

Darth Jax
11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
some kind of monster had an EP soundtrack, all live tracks - no new material.

metallica did a rap song with swizz beatz - "we did it again." you see some of the recording for this song in the some kind of monster documentary. if the rock/rap fusion is your thing then it's not bad.

El Chuxter
11-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the "soundtrack" for Some Kind of Monster was so much better than the song it took the name from. Go figure. :)

I kind of dig some rap/rock fusion, but a Metallica rap song sounds just. . . wrong.

2-1B
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I dig St. Anger now. :)

I still don't care for No Leaf Clover or I Disappear very much, though. :(

Well, Disappear's not bad but I can skip Clover.

Love me some Metallicats on that Garage compilation, though ! :grin:

JimJamBonds
11-01-2006, 11:13 PM
I have the Spawn soundtrack, too, but don't much care for "Satan" or the remix of "For Whom the Bell Tolls," so I'm skipping them.

God that DJ Spooky remix of Bells is so freaking bad I don't know how to describe it! Your list is pretty much complete Chux although Live S**t Binge and Purge wasn't included (although it has no new material). I have a Japanese import of The Memory Remains single that has an early version of Fuel with different lyrics which is kinda neat. If you have Cunning Stunts its that version.

2-1B
11-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Live Sh** is worth it just to get some J-New vox on Seek and Destroy ! ! ! ! ! :grin:

Also Chux, if you want a nice live cut of Bells might I recommend the Woodstock '94 version ? :thumbsup: And while you're at it bump over to the Aerosmith track, the Draw the Line / F.I.N.E. medley and enjoy that as well. ;)

JimJamBonds
11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Live Sh** is worth it just to get some J-New vox on Seek and Destroy ! ! ! ! ! :grin:

You can also get that on the WCW cd they were on about 5 yrs ago (also Seek & Destory)!

El Chuxter
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Have Live Sh**, Woodstock '94, and the WCW compilation. Good stuff, but nothing technically "new."

I'm a bit surprised you don't like "Clover," Caesar. That's easily one of my favorites from these fellers.

JimJamBonds
11-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Have Live Sh**, Woodstock '94, and the WCW compilation. Good stuff, but nothing technically "new."

I'm a bit surprised you don't like "Clover," Caesar. That's easily one of my favorites from these fellers.

I liked it, then got sick of it due to over playing and now I like it again. In several ways its the best "showpiece" (along with Master) of the band + S.F. orchestra.

2-1B
11-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Let the orchestra rip into Of Wolf & Man and I'm a happy guy. :grin:

(RIP Michael Kamen :( )

JimJamBonds
11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Let the orchestra rip into Of Wolf & Man and I'm a happy guy. :grin:

(RIP Michael Kamen :( )

Ehh I usually skip that one.

Darth Jax
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
i'd been hearing some rumblings for awhile that the boyz might be back in the studio sans bob rock. since JBFF hasn't been around a whole lot, i finally headed over to the website to determine the truth. seems they are working with rick rubin for the next album, although with them you never know how many years it may take to get released.

El Chuxter
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that's kinda old news. Anyone else working on an album with Rubin would be done in the time since it was announced. Hell, Johnny Cash would've completed four albums in that time. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping with such talent at the helm, it will make up for St Anger. Rubin can turn pretty much anything into gold.

JimJamBonds
11-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Metallica did some work earlier in the year but Rubin would only show up every couple of weeks. Then they toured Europe and then Japan during the summer. As far as I know they haven't gotten back to working on the album either by themselves or with Rubin.

2-1B
11-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Bring back Fleming Rasmussen.

JimJamBonds
11-08-2006, 12:10 AM

Only after Johnny Z produces an(other) album!

Darth Jax
11-08-2006, 08:13 AM

Only after Johnny Z produces an(other) album!

just get a new album out. it's amazing that they still maintain a steady fanbase when they average an album every 5 years. most bands will have already slid into oblivion in 5 years and have the ability to churn out an album nearly every 18 months or so until they fade away.

2-1B
11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Not AC/DC, they milk it even longer than that, it seem. lol

The last few records have been really spaced out...Razor's Edge '91 Ballbreaker '95 Stiff Upper Lip '00 wow it doesn't seem like nearly 7 years since their last release.

JimJamBonds
11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
just get a new album out. it's amazing that they still maintain a steady fanbase when they average an album every 5 years. most bands will have already slid into oblivion in 5 years and have the ability to churn out an album nearly every 18 months or so until they fade away.

From 96-99 there was a new album each year then St. Anger in 2003. In June they hit the 3 year mark. Also remember these guys aren't the young pups they were in the 80's when they were putting out records rather quickly.

Darth Jax
11-08-2006, 09:18 PM
From 96-99 there was a new album each year then St. Anger in 2003. In June they hit the 3 year mark. Also remember these guys aren't the young pups they were in the 80's when they were putting out records rather quickly.

one of those albums was a live album. another was a 2 disc set of covers. neither of which would require as long to put together as an album of new material.

2-1B
11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Also remember these guys aren't the young pups they were in the 80's when they were putting out records rather quickly.

Maybe they should go back on the sauce and groupie 'tang ?

El Chuxter
11-08-2006, 10:22 PM
IMHO, it's been longer. St Anger isn't an album. It's a musical abortion.

2-1B
11-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Good thing this is a Pro-Choice nation, then ! :D

Frantic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tock!!!

Tycho
11-08-2006, 10:33 PM
St Anger isn't an album. It's a musical abortion.

Well of course. Have you listened to the lyrics to All Within My Hands?

Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!
Kill!

Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!

Kill!

Kill!

Rogue II
11-08-2006, 10:42 PM

They are millionaire rock stars. Why would they need groupies to provide orange flavored drink powder?

JimJamBonds
11-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Jaymz is the only member to give up the sauce.

Darth Jax
11-08-2006, 11:47 PM
hasn't kirk gone the vegan "my body is my temple" route and given up all the good things in life?

JimJamBonds
11-10-2006, 09:40 AM
hasn't kirk gone the vegan "my body is my temple" route and given up all the good things in life?

I know he is a vegatarian but I didn't know he was a vegan.

Tycho
02-11-2007, 10:57 PM
OK, did I just hear a new song from Metallica on the radio tonight?

While the band's site is like my No.1 Friend on MySpace, I must admit I haven't been paying much attention to James and Lars lately.

(I've been following around Queensryche all over Southern California :yes: )

So now that I've played the Mindcrime albums 4 billion times too many, I'm ready for some new music (I'm also digging Saliva's new CD, "Ladies and Gentlemen!")

But what's up with the Masters of Metal?

JimJamBonds
02-12-2007, 12:28 PM
OK, did I just hear a new song from Metallica on the radio tonight?

Last summer they played Europe and then Japan. While in Berlin they played a new song which was called.... "New Song." Later in the tour while in Tokyo they played another new song with the clever moniker of "New Song 2." I'd bet you heard one of those songs, both of which can be found on the interweb.

But what's up with the Masters of Metal?

They go back in the stuido next month and then they are going back to Europe in summer. In my mind a new album WON'T come out in 2007. If they get off the road at the end of August (dates haven't been set yet) they will take at least a month off (which is then early October) and they will take there time as usual from there. So I'd bet it will be about this time next year the new Metallica album comes out. :(

2-1B
02-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Hard to believe it's been almost 4 years since we celebrated the first St. Anger's Day.

Tycho
02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
UPDATE:

I checked their website.

If it is up to date: they will be recording their new album in March. They will be on a tour (playing older stuff) overseas in the Summer. The album will be being mastered then (it won't be as raw as St. Anger, but their music will be evolving again).

I suspect that in the Fall the new CD will be available and it hopefully won't take until 2008, but of course we want it to be good.

NOTE: I don't think great bands like Metallica necessarily have to keep producing new work to stay great. The sold out shows they play WITHOUT a new album is proof enough of that.

And yeah, it's hard to believe that St. Anger was so long ago. Man is time flying!

"My Lifestyle determines my deathstyle!"

Darth Jax
02-12-2007, 10:49 PM
i'd be just as happy to see them live without new stuff getting in the way of the older (that is better) songs.

Tycho
02-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Unlike some fans, I liked a lot of the tracks on Load and Re-Load.

"Bleeding Me," was an awesome song that I stop to listen to every once in a while, for example.

JimJamBonds
02-13-2007, 12:59 AM
UPDATE:

I checked their website.

If it is up to date: they will be recording their new album in March. They will be on a tour (playing older stuff) overseas in the Summer. The album will be being mastered then (it won't be as raw as St. Anger, but their music will be evolving again).

I suspect that in the Fall the new CD will be available and it hopefully won't take until 2008, but of course we want it to be good.

Although preproduction has already been rapped (how can you produce before you produce? :p ) I just don't see them knocking out this new album in three months given their history of taking their time. Unless lyrics, solos and EVERYTHING else is finished I have a hard to beliving it will be done recording wise before summer. Don't get me wrong I'd love for it to come out in fall!!!

JediTricks
02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I just ripped my copies of the black album and master of puppets to my computer so I could transfer them into my MP3 phone (somewhere, Lars has felt a disturbance in the Force) and it's such a shock at how much more aggressive and raw yet operatic and epic and emotional their music was before the black album, nothing I've heard of theirs since has come even close. I blame the Grammys!

Tycho
02-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Is it Lars or James that goes ballistic over downloads and what not? (who nearly lobotomized himself because of Napster).

Darth Jax
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM
it was lars that got the anti-napster hype.

metallica attempted to remove their material from free filesharing as they wished to get paid for their musical genius (so i guess they should've let people continue to swap anything post-...AJFA). they have live tracks available to purchase and have since succumbed to the pressure of iTunes. as long as they get some cash for it, you can download any of their works.

JimJamBonds
02-14-2007, 01:35 AM
I just ripped my copies of the black album and master of puppets to my computer so I could transfer them into my MP3 phone (somewhere, Lars has felt a disturbance in the Force)

That would be SF or Denmark.

I blame the Grammys!

Stupid Jethro Tull!

JediTricks
02-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Lars' real complaint about peer-to-peer free music downloading was that an engineer took home some incomplete in-progress tracks, put them on his computer with "Metallica" in the ID3 tags or name, and he had p2p Napster so they got taken without permission. Lars' complaint was that they had taken material that was not yet complete and not ready for public consumption without permission, he flipped out and went overboard creating that whole mess that made him look like a total tool.

Rocketboy
02-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Metallica is still together?
Huh, you learn something new everyday.

That's kinda sad.

JimJamBonds
02-15-2007, 12:59 AM
The other song you might have heard Tycho is their cover of 'The Ecstasy of Gold' from the movie The Good the bad and the ugly which as you probably already know is their intro music when playing live. The cover will appear on a tribute album to composer Ennio Morricone. You can here a snipit here (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=600114).

mabudonicus
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Dont' blame the Grammies or Tull, fellows, two folks were responsible, no more, no less

One was Cliff, who by being squashed by a tour bus, basically took all the rest of what was good about Metallica with him- sure, "and justice" came out after his death, but anyone who knows enough about music can tell that most of that stuff was HIS and the other looguns were just playing around it. The Black album marked the first album with NO burton on it, and even without real intimate musical knowledge, the differences are blatant

2) Bob Rock.... NUFF SAID. Again, if you understand recording well enough, certain stuff becomes REAL obvious- quantifiable even... there's NO mystery as to why there's such a HUGE difference between the first 3 metallica albums and the "rest"

:beard:Isobaws&

2-1B
02-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I thought they used archived clips of Cliff's voice on The Memory Remains.

JimJamBonds
02-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought they used archived clips of Cliff's voice on The Memory Remains.

No that was a crusty dude named Marrianne Faithfull.

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Man, why the hatred for Ms Faithfull?

It's not every British girl who gets to sleep with Mick Jagger. Just every other British girl. :beard:

2-1B
02-18-2007, 11:15 PM
and every fourth British man named Bowie.

El Chuxter
02-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Don't you mean every fourth British man named Jones who uses the stage name of Bowie because his real name was already taken by one of the Monkees?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-19-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm not very well versed in all things Metallica, but I do have ...And Justice For All on CD. I remember some kids on the school bus back in the 80's (1986-1988) playing "Master of Puppets", so I was familiar with that tune back then. I was just listening to some samples on iTunes and recognized "Jump in the Fire" as another tune I heard them playing as well. "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is also a great tune.

I recall some guys on my college cross country team joking around saying "Metallica is Power!" Then the black album came out, and I kind of liked "Enter Sandman". I guess I thought it was cool that they were getting more airplay. So, when I returned to school and said "Metallica is Power" to one of those guys, I was a bit surprised to hear him say "not anymore." I can understand that now as I see the difference between the early stuff and the black album, but there is still some good music on there and the albums that followed.

I liked their performance of "Hole In The Sky" when inducting Black Sabbath into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I wasn't familiar with the song, and listening to a clip of the original, I think I liked Metallica's version better. The "Iron Man" cover was all right as well.

JimJamBonds
02-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Man, why the hatred for Ms Faithfull?

She does have such a wonderfull track record of performing on SNL. :rolleyes:

mabudonicus
02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Lars would sue you for posting that story, MSP, and they would force you to identify the guy who said "not anymore" so they could blacklist him... "McTallica is Brand Power" would be more appropriate nowadays tho :beard:Isobaws&

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Not AC/DC, they milk it even longer than that, it seem. lol

The last few records have been really spaced out...Razor's Edge '91 Ballbreaker '95 Stiff Upper Lip '00 wow it doesn't seem like nearly 7 years since their last release.

I know this is the Metallica thread, but it has been a damn long time. Is Angus secretly dead or something?

bobafrett
04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Has anyone heard the tribute to Ennio Morricone's, song from 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' by Metallica? It's pretty good, and has been getting pretty heavy radio play here in the Chicago area.

JimJamBonds
04-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Has anyone heard the tribute to Ennio Morricone's, song from 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' by Metallica? It's pretty good, and has been getting pretty heavy radio play here in the Chicago area.

Yeah I've heard it a number of times on the radio (Sirius), I didn't care for it the first time I head it but I like it now.

El Chuxter
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Looks like "Death Magnetic" comes out in September. Here's a taste (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb__MEJzXZg). Nice 180 after the mess that was St Anger.

2-1B
08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Musical Trilogy.

Enough said.

Tycho
08-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I love the bass guitar spots they give Trullijo. That's a nice touch.

Good song! Maybe I'll interrupt my Queensryche love-fest and go to the Metallica tour for something different (than like - what has it been - 12 Queensryche concerts in a row? - Looks like I might be seeing the Ryche again in October, too. :thumbsup: ) But I've been to every Metallica Tour (one show per tour) for many, many of their albums since "Justice." (And yeah - I like the Load / Re-Load stuff alright - probably better than St. Anger).

JimJamBonds
08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Its a little choppy but I like it. I'm really digging the Maiden song they covered Remember Tomorrow for a Maiden tribute disk.

Darth Jax
08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
tour info (http://www.livedaily.com/news/14703.html) to support death magnetic - which gets the friday release date treatment like st. anger did.

2-1B
08-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Milwaukee January 12th

Tycho
08-13-2008, 12:44 AM
December 15 - San Diego, CA. They're actually playing on my old college campus (Cox Arena is at SDSU - my graduation ceremony was in there and I've seen Whitesnake, Scorpions, Dokken, and more there).

Thing is, it looks like my kidney transplant is October 21. The concert will be nearly 2 months later, and I should be feeling great, but I will still be on strong medication to suppress my immune system. Being in a large crowd even 2 months out, might be a very bad idea.

I think I'll have to miss this one.

If Queensryche plays in early October (or September) than alright!

Otherwise, I think I'll see the Ryche's new album tour in 2009.

And Metallica might come around SoCal for a 2nd pass. That's a good venue for them.

JediTricks
08-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I thought it said "Darth Magnetic", and realized that wouldn't even be unbelievable. :p

scruffziller
08-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Where has James Boba been? I heard that there is going to be an all Metallica Guitar Hero coming out. It will greatly overshadow the sucky Aerosmith one.

I really liked the song. But you can tell our Metal Men and the fans are getting old. Watch the old school concert footage and then watch this again. There is a difference.

Metallica is going to be in Des Moines on 10/26/08!!!! I am going this time.

Darth Jax
08-17-2008, 12:07 PM
there will be a guitar hero metallica, but supposedly rock band has first release rights to the first single from the album.

Tycho
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Metallica has posted their entire new album online here (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601231) for you to listen to before you buy. I just found it, so I can't comment on the tracks yet, as I haven't heard them. But I see Unforgiven III among the songs listed and I can't wait to hear that one. I'm a big fan of their Unforgiven tracks.

Listen up and then we'll post about what we hear - here.

[EDIT]: Unforgiven III is an awesome song. Instead of listening to the whole album, I played that track first and then had to play it again, as I liked it a lot. I'll get to listening to the rest, soon, but Unforgiven III is my track right now.

El Chuxter
09-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I ordered mine with Jurassic Fight Club, and it looks like it's going to be one of the few times Amazon doesn't send out things piecemeal as they're released. I guess I can wait until it ships in a couple of months.

The new album sounds quite good, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from St Anger. The only track I've listened to fully as of now is Unforgiven III, and I'm glad they didn't tack on a stupid "Cause I'm Unforgiven three!" at the end like they did with Unforgiven II.

Tycho
09-12-2008, 02:21 PM
It worked for Unforgiven II, though - because the actual phrase in the song was "I'm unforgiven, TOO (as in unforgiven, ALSO).

Rocketboy
09-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I still haven't forgiven them for Unforgiven 2 (and everything else since the black album).

El Chuxter
09-12-2008, 04:19 PM
It worked for Unforgiven II, though - because the actual phrase in the song was "I'm unforgiven, TOO (as in unforgiven, ALSO).

Regardless, it sounded corny and tacked on.

RB, I like most of their post-Black Album stuff (St Anger notwithstanding), but it is like it's a different band that happens to be made up of the same people.

Tycho
09-13-2008, 04:14 AM
RB, I like most of their post-Black Album stuff (St Anger notwithstanding), but it is like it's a different band that happens to be made up of the same people.

I'd agree with this. You can like post-Black Metallica, but don't have to view it as part of the same collection / era as the Justice for All and prior albums.

There is a time and place when you HAVE TO listen to Master of Puppets and the escapist stuff on Reload doesn't do. But there are times when you want to speed down the highway with "fuel, and fire, and that which I desire!"

It totally depends upon what kind of mood I'm in.

Tycho
09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Just to keep this fresh and near the top of a new page:

[QUOTE=Tycho;638279]Metallica has posted their entire new album online here (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601231) for you to listen to before you buy.
Listen up and then we'll post about what we hear - here.

JediTricks
09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I listened, and while it was nice to have Metallica songs that run a good length again, I got the feeling that the guys were out of ideas. I didn't care for the lead guitar, and Hetfield's singing just seems totally out of gas, it's like everything they were doing was trying to tap into the classic sound but without any of the passion that made those tunes so powerful and resonant. My mom heard one of the tunes and took Lars' drumming to task for being somewhat lazy in the same vein. To be fair though, I sat out St. Anger altogether, after abandoning their new work from Load, so this "comeback" from that means nothing to me, this album has to own on its merits, not on the fact that the previous albums went from suck to blow.

Darth Jax
09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
The album isn't Justice or Master, but it does capture the spirit of classic Metallica. James singing (and lyrics) have changed over the years. i've listened to the entire thing about a dozen times since i picked it up on Friday. There isn't really a track that stands out as an instant classic, but the day that never comes, all nightmare long, my apocalypse, cyanide or the judas kiss could easily become fan favorites live.

purchased tix on saturday when they went on sale for the pepsi center in denver. it was about 11.30 AM when i placed my order through a retail ticketmaster location and there were only small scatterings of tickets still available.

2-1B
09-15-2008, 11:56 PM
I borrowed JimJam's copy and ripped it into my iTunes, haven't listened to all of it yet but it is definitely worth the price I paid.

Tycho
09-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I've only listened through Unforgiven III (from the start) as of now.

I like "The End of the Line," "Cyanide," and "Unforgiven III." The other songs may take some getting used to, but I heard some rhythym to them that I found listenable. I'm looking for tunes that don't sound like copies of what's come before. That's why I could like Load and ReLoad. No it wasn't Master of Puppets, but Puppets wasn't Lightning. The point I'm making is not that one is better than the other - just that they're different and I see value in that by itself. If it's a different kind of GOOD anyway. St. Anger was just a different kind of different in a lot of ways.

I'm getting used to the new album, and I have to hear a few of the other songs Darth Jax said were good.

I've been sternly warned that I CANNOT go to Metallica's concert December 11th (I think it is for San Diego) because that will be still too soon after my kidney transplant to risk with my purposely weakened immune system. Sucks, but that just means that when Queensryche tours their new album in 2009, I will attend their shows with a vengeance (flying to different cities if I must). Not that I haven't already done that anyway for Queensryche. But apparently it plays well for me, so I'll keep doing it until I don't want to any more. Provided Queensryche's new album is good. (Word on that is it is a concept album about WAR! Geoff Tate interviewed veterans from WWII through Iraq and everything in between, and made an album that Metallica fans would liken to "One," and "For Whom The Bell Tolls," and "Fade to Black." We'll see if Queensryche can play it better. In spite of my bias, I am staying open-minded and accept the possibility that I may be disappointed, but then again I may not be - hopefully.)

As to Metallica in concert? Well, other years they've come back for pick-up dates in popular venues like Southern California - or between-album-tours. I can always hope for something like that. But then again, I may pop off and shun everyone's advice and just go to the December concert anyway. Don't worry though - as it's unlikely. I'm having this surgery so that I might be healthy and live to go to many Metallica (and Queensryche) concerts over many years. Sacraficing an opportunity to see them ONCE shouldn't be any big deal. It's just frustrating as normally I wouldn't hesitate to be there.

Darth Jax - you don't know how jealous I am!

BTW: "Cyanide" is a really good tune and pretty much qualifies as "different in a good way," which is exactly what I was talking about.

Tycho
09-21-2008, 01:52 AM
OK, I like "End of the Line," but I just figured out why: I'm used to the guitar riff. They used almost the same one in "Some Kind of Monster" on St. Anger. What? Did they think we wouldn't notice?

Still it's a good song, but still....

bobafrett
09-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I picked it up for $8.88 at Wal-Mart, and I enjoy it. Metallica came about when I was in high school, and I noticed all the burnouts (pot smokers) wearing the shirts, and I thought "this isn't a band for me" without even listening to the music. Then I saw the video for "one" and I was transformed, but by that time they started putting out "load" and "Reload" and "Garage days Inc." and I thought "okay", but then that St. Anger came out and I listened to it only once, but the new stuff got my blood going again.

Darth Jax
09-21-2008, 11:38 PM
OK, I like "End of the Line," but I just figured out why: I'm used to the guitar riff. They used almost the same one in "Some Kind of Monster" on St. Anger. What? Did they think we wouldn't notice?

Still it's a good song, but still....

i think broken, beat & scarred reminds me more of shoot me again.

Tycho
09-22-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, I wanted new Metallica. I got tired of having to come back into my computer room and click on the next song (from their website posting of their music). So I bought the CD on sale at Wal-Mart as well. I'm loving it!

Metallica is back!

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Where has James Boba been?

I spent two years tracking down Lemmy. I finally caught up to him in an alley and discovered he has the softest hair of any 63 year old man I know.

While I was with him, I asked if him if we could go to Brazil. He gave me a confused look and then we parted ways. No class. (where's mabudon, he'd get a kick out of this)

mabudonicus
10-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Right here Bro, loong time no see

that is a KILLER pic dude, Lemmy was probably suffering from severe stripper cravings, thus the confusion
:beard: Iso&Baws

a FINE pic

bobafrett
10-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, good to see you here! Love the picture!

Darth Jax
10-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Nice to see JBFF gracing us with his presence, at long last.

Nice pic, the deuce'll be jealous.

El Chuxter
10-16-2008, 11:11 PM
No doubt! I'll bet he's already called Lemmy up and said, "Dude, you are so frigging lucky!" It's not everyone who gets to pose with Boba Fettfield.

Nice to see you again. :mabs:

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Right here Bro, loong time no see

that is a KILLER pic dude, Lemmy was probably suffering from severe stripper cravings, thus the confusion
:beard: Iso&Baws

a FINE pic

He came out looking confused, as if he could not believe that there were people who wanted to see him (really, there was about eight of us). And then for Lemmy to actually stop and do whatever people asked of him...unbelievable. I left before he finished fulfilling everyone's requests, but I have no doubt he stayed there until everyone was happy. He was anything but a man of no class.

And really, he does have soft hair. I put my arm around his shoulder and my first thought was not, "Sweet Jesus, I'm touching God!" but instead, "Man, his hair is really silky. I wonder if he cares that I'm touching him? I ought to throw up the horns...wait, he just blew out some smoke...I hope the camera catches that because it would only add to the greatness of this picture."

And there you go. That's what I did on my 2.3 years vacation.

2-1B
10-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow, that's awesome - the smoke is a perfect touch.

I find it hilarious that Jaymz returns to SSG to post about Lemmy in the METALLICA thread that he started...without even posting about the first new Metallica album in over 5 years. lol

Tycho
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Crap. I thought I would be recovering from a kidney transplant and unable to go to this show (December 11th). Turns out, I should be able to go to the show.

However, most of the good seats are sold out and what remains are tickets at $118 at the cheapest, and $250+ for the best seats you can buy.

I love Metallica, but I don't think I'm willing to pay that for a local concert.

Considering Queensryche has a smaller following, I can get their tickets, get front row, and at a concert stage out of town that I fly to, and I'm getting more of my money's worth.

I think I may save my cash for Queensryche and go and buy a Nickelback CD in the meantime (though I love Death Magnetic).

There were $59-79 Metallica seats but they sold out while I thought I would be unable to go. Total bummer.

Darth Jax
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Show last nite was great. Set list was too heavy on Death Magnetic though. While it's a great album compared to the last couple, the lyrics (both content and manner of delivery) don't lend themselves to being huge crowd pleasers when performed live. that was just your life, the end of the line, the day that never comes, cyanide and broken,beaten,scarred all got played. the standards - master, sandman, one were represented although unlike the last couple of tours master wasn't included in the encore. thankfully nothing from st. anger was played.

those attending upcoming shows can check livemetallica.com to see set lists from recent shows to get an idea of what to expect. the set list is never set in stone and can/will be altered right up til showtime.

james looked a little odd. his hair's in that awkward stage mid-length stage. lots of lights/lasers for the stage (initially i wondered if i were at a trans-siberian show) but not too many flames.

Tycho
11-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Did they play All Nightmare Long? I like that one and Judas' Kiss as well.

Unforgiven III is alright when I'm in the mood for it, too.

I'd like to see Nothing Else Matters from the Black Album.

What else was played? Ride the Lightning songs? Load and Re-Load stuff?

You're lucky to have gotten to go Darth Jax.

Darth Jax
11-06-2008, 08:36 AM
near as i can remember the set list was (tomorrow the show should be up at livemetallica.com):
Intro - the ecstasy of gold.
1.That was just your life
2. The end of the Line
3. Harvester of Sorrow
4. Ride the Lightning
5. One
6. Broken, Beat and Scarred
7. Cyanide
8. Sad But True
9. For whom the bell tolls (with mini bass solo lead-in by rob)
10. Wherever i may roam
11. The day that never comes
12. Master of puppets
13. Damage inc.
14. nothing else matters
15. Enter Sandman
Encore consisted of
Last Caress, Hit the Lights and Seek & Destroy

JimJamBonds
11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Not a bad little set list there, I'm planning on seeing them in Milwaukee in January.

Slicker
11-06-2008, 01:01 PM
That really is a good setlist. By them not doing any of there newer CD's do you think it's an admission that they're carp?

Tycho
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
That really is a good setlist. By them not doing any of there newer CD's do you think it's an admission that they're carp?

No. It's facing what's most popular with their fans however. I tend to buck the popular position and happen to like almost all of what Metallica's released (though St. Anger is far from the top of my list). I am a fan of Load and Re-Load though. It's nice because not all Metallica sounds the same, and there is a good variety. I like all kinds of hard rock / metal, so this appeals to me as I think James, Rob, Jason, and Kirk (was that an oversight concerning Lars??? ;) ) are all very talented and I like to hear them play.

Darth Jax
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM

i think they're pleased wit their experimentation on Load and ReLoad. i think they aren't as happy with the way St. Anger turned out and it's reception.

Mostly i think it's an a recognition of the fan appreciation for hearing more of the early stuff live.

Darth Jax
02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
read on yahoo today that in addition to metallica in GH: metallica you'll also have the ability to play as the grandfather of metal - LEMMY.

JimJamBonds
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
And King Diamond.

Tycho
04-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Metallica is playing in Anaheim, CA (by Disneyland where I always go up and see Queensryche) but even though tickets went on sale today, I couldn't get good seats no matter what I tried. After an hour, I gave up.

I tried drawing both single and double seats. No luck either way and they are charging too much for those spots. It's in the Honda Center at Anaheim.

I also looked for Nickelback (Sept) and U2 (don't remember when). The seats left were like crap. For Nickelback it was in the front pit, but I can't be there after my kidney transplant. At least not this year.

U2 was just really high-priced. It was $97 per seat before service charges and tax, and I really don't think I'd be as pumped for their concert as say any of the other 3 bands I mentioned above.

I hope Metallica adds a San Diego show!!! Seriously. I missed them when they were here last December because I thought I'd have already had my surgery in October.

By the way, I despise all-around arena seating. Concerts should have a stage FRONT and the audience seated "fanned-out" from there.

JimJamBonds
04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
By the way, I despise all-around arena seating. Concerts should have a stage FRONT and the audience seated "fanned-out" from there.

Why? Instead of one front row there are 4 front rows.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Why? Instead of one front row there are 4 front rows. But who wants to look at the back of Lars' head?

Tycho
04-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I've also seen bands perform in "the rounds" before and cordone off everything greater than a 180 degree angle behind them.

Def Leppard handled "a round" well with a rotating drum stage.

Maybe if Lars goes for that, it'd be OK, but still, the seats they had available were not that good. In any case, if I change my mind tomorrow, I'm sure the same kind of crappy seats will still be available.

JimJamBonds
04-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Who wants to sit a mile away from the stage? With a circle stage set up (four times the people) you get the up close feel (sure you get some back of head shots as well).

Tycho
04-17-2009, 02:08 AM
No the seats that are available for Metallica in the Honda Center (Anaheim, CA) are pretty far back. I still might buy and go. The show's not until December 10.

I'm not sure. I know it's not a priority for me at the moment though.

JimJamBonds
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I've also seen bands perform in "the rounds" before and cordone off everything greater than a 180 degree angle behind them.

Def Leppard handled "a round" well with a rotating drum stage.

Maybe if Lars goes for that, it'd be OK, but still, the seats they had available were not that good. In any case, if I change my mind tomorrow,

During the Madly In Anger With The World Tour ie. when they supported St. Anger the entire stage rotated. Every 5-6 songs the stage turned 1/4, so by the end of the set the stage (and Lars) made a complete circle.

While on tour for the Black album and Load Lars had two drum sets one on each end of the stage.

Tycho
04-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I saw the Load tour on a one-sided stage venue though. I really appreciated that as I wasn't looking at their backs (as if they were performing for someone else).

I don't know.

There is the Ship Rocked Caribbean cruise in November with Queensryche headlining. Tesla and Skid Row are also featured with two less known bands.

Skid Row will not have Sebastian Bach though (of course). I wonder what they play? I went to see Sebastian Bach solo and met him and partied with him some years ago. He's a cool guy.

JediTricks
04-18-2009, 06:57 PM
But who wants to look at the back of Lars' head?James Hettfield? ;)

BTW, the term is "in the round".

JimJamBonds
04-19-2009, 11:56 AM
ere is the Ship Rocked Caribbean cruise in November with Queensryche headlining. Tesla and Skid Row are also featured with two less known bands.

Just so I'm following you correctly here Tycho, there is a cruise and those three bands are playing on the ship during the cruise?!?!?!?!?!

Tycho
04-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes. You got that "ryche."

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh man, I can't wait to tell my mom about those bands on a cruise together.

JimJamBonds
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes. You got that "ryche."

That HAS to be the crustiest thing I have EVER heard of in my life.