PDA

View Full Version : The Metallica Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Well, under the advice of Tycho and my own consideration, I decided to start this thread based off of the side tracked conversation occuring in the Queensryche thread. I really don't know how to start this thread off, but I suppose it can be opened up with the discussion of the new Ramones tribute cd. Metallica's got a cover on there of 53rd and 3rd. I heard the song back in November, and I thought it was done very well, even if the sound quality of the file sucked.

Anyway, this is a thread to discuss whatever about the said group. Here's me hoping this thread finds the hard rock crowd and stays affloat long enough to see the release of the most anticpated album of 2003.

2-1B
02-02-2003, 12:36 AM
Well, MY most anticipated album of '03 is Aerosmith's blues disc. :D

Oh yeah, Metallica. :crazed: Well, I'm anxious to hear the new record. I was disappointed with some of their more recent tunes, I couldn't get into "I Disappear" and I really hated "No Leaf Clover."

To start with, I guess I'll ask this question:
Weren't they working on a track with Ja Rule for some project?

and oh yeah, please bring on Robert Trujillo as the new bassist! :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 12:44 AM
I'll explain that Ja Rule thing. Yes, it happened. But what happened was this: While James Hetfield was in the rehab for the back pain pills and alchohol, Kirk and Lars decided to continue recording new material. They did, and were approached by Swizz Beats about a project. They told him to listen to the music they had recorded, and Swizz did. Swizz picked stuff from two different songs and said goodbye to Kirk and Lars. Swizz uses those riffs and has Ja Rule record vocals for them. Well, about the time they are finishing up on this, James exits rehab and is asked to add some vocals to the song as well. He records two lines for the song, and that's it. So basically it was just Metallica giving out music for them to use, kind of like when DJ Spooky remixed For Whom the Bell Tolls or that remix of Until It Sleeps.

As for I Disappear, I don't know if they wrote that song when they were asked to or if they used material from the Load sessions. No Leaf Clover came straight from the Load sessions and they had it on tape, as they said in the S&M documentary.

Yeah! The topic is working.

Tycho
02-02-2003, 02:26 AM
I Disappear wasn't that bad, but I'd have made the verse line music roll a little more, and cut out that start-stop riff thing going that makes this song sort of play like "Sad But True" (a good song - but not to go with 'Disappear's' chorus lines). In any case, Disappear is neither bad, nor that great.

Garage Days has a lot of Metallica's best cover songs from other bands. I mean there are so many to go into that it's ridiculous to discuss them all in one post, but Bob Seger's "On the Road Again" is better than the original (depending upon my mood -as I have the Bob Seger greatest hits album too).

Electric has got to be a great one, too. And I love "Astronomy!"

Die My Darling... (oops. I said I wasn't going to list all these...)

Rogue II
02-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Who is their new bassist and when is the album due out?

mabudonicus
02-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Ahhhh, metal....
First, for some stupid reason I really like no leaf clover, but not the way I think I'm supposed to:):)

The Garage re-revisited does indeed have some of their best work since And Justice... It's electric, Breadfan, Sabracadabra...

Oh, and to anyone who cares- with the affected, "metallica" pronounciation, in Die Die, it sounds like "don't cry tomatoe baby"- try it, you'll hate me for it!!!

I'm more of a classic NWOBHM fan.. just bought a cd copy of Iron Maidens "KILLERS" last week and have been rocking my face off ever since...
Also recently added "HammerFall"s "Crimson Thunder"- any hammerfall fans here?? Just curious!!!

To make sure we stay on topic, when is the new Metallica due out?? If they can get back to basics, I could see picking it up...

Tycho
02-02-2003, 10:35 AM
As in the Queensryche thread, music threads are hard to keep on topic with the same band, heheheh.

I am looking to and would probably really enjoy some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest old stuff. It was a little before my time, as I started on rock with Def Leppard during the Pyromania days. I got into Whitesnake, Skidrow (a truly underrated band!), and Guns N Roses, before I got a taste for harder stuff (and more talented musicians).

Anyway, from the "Breaking the Law" days, and that song about the Indians "White man came....etc." I'd like your recommendations on old Priest and Maiden. Obviously they'd appeal if they were a big influence on Queensryche.

Oh, yeah - and no one forget this topic is about Metallica :rolleyes:

Rogue II
02-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
As in the Queensryche thread, music threads are hard to keep on topic with the same band, heheheh.

I am looking to and would probably really enjoy some Iron Maiden and Judas Priest old stuff. It was a little before my time, as I started on rock with Def Leppard during the Pyromania days. I got into Whitesnake, Skidrow (a truly underrated band!), and Guns N Roses, before I got a taste for harder stuff (and more talented musicians).

Anyway, from the "Breaking the Law" days, and that song about the Indians "White man came....etc." I'd like your recommendations on old Priest and Maiden. Obviously they'd appeal if they were a big influence on Queensryche.

Oh, yeah - and no one forget this topic is about Metallica :rolleyes:

Did you intentionally come in here to post off topic? You are a MOD, why don't you just make a Metal Thread?

I got hooked on Metallica right after And Justice For All came out. I like all their albums. I can't remember if it was the Load or Reload that I didn't like at first, but it eventually grew on me.

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Mentioning Maiden is cool by me in here. They're pioneers of this genre of music too. Uh, about those questions being asked:

The new album is going to be out late spring/early summer. Metallica is playing a lot of European festivals in June and July, so one would assume the album would be out then. Also, Bob Rock said they had a May 1st deadline, but he never clarified what that deadline meant.

As for their new bassist, no one knows who they picked. The only guys to have been auditioned that are known about are Scott Reeder, Rob Trujillo, and Twiggy Ramirez.

As for anything else I know about the album, this is the first time the album has actually been written by all of the members. Usually it's just Hetfield and Ulrich with the music, with Hetfield doing the lyrics. Now they're all writing the music and lyrics. From all of the videos I watched about it, this album seems to be the one they've taken a lot of care with. They want every song to be their best effort, instead of just writing a set amount of songs and including them all on the album. They said this is the first time they've actually thrown out songs that didn't meet their expectations. More as I remember it.

Tycho
02-02-2003, 11:30 AM
I cannot moderate anything that's not in a polls thread or 12" figure thread. Mods only have that ability in their section.

A thread combo for this and the Geoff Tate thread might work, but Geoff Tate's album review is a separate thing, and not really metal anyway.

I also don't know if I can, or how to, move threads. I think JediTricks alone does that. But this is DarArgol's section to mod. My recommendation is not to combine the threads, because for the few who care about Geoff Tate's CD (who might not be metal heads) won't know it's discussed in a thread mostly about harder rock bands.

I have always liked everything Metallica, but the 'on topic rule' just sort of gets by me here, when one band is similar, or influences, or opens a concert for, or appears in the same magazine with, or is played on the same radio station by, or is sold in the same record store as, or is purchased by the same customer by, or is found on the same person's music files as another band that's brought up.

This thread will mostly revolve around Metallica I'm sure.

-Harvester of Sorrow:cry:

EricRG
02-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Tycho-
Live After Death (a double CD) is about all you need from Maiden (at first). It's got EVERYTHING. Otherwise, anything earlier than Fear of the Dark (when they started losing band members) is great.

For myself, I'm afraid I lost interest in Metallica after Enter Sandman. But MOP sure kicks butts.

Also, did you know that metallica is the species name for certain Austrailian ants? I wonder if it's because they are shiny? Or if it's because they run around banging their heads against the stage like they never did before, making it ring, making it bleed, making it really sore?:crazed:

Tycho
02-02-2003, 12:57 PM
I thought the ants served the Queen of the Ryche because their Lady Wore Black? ahah-hah-hah:D

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 03:48 PM
I refuse to let this one die on me! To get this baby rolling again, let's share our feelings on the matter of Jason Newsted.

I loved him with Metallica, hated him for leaving, hated him even more for that crap Echobrain, and love him again for realizing why he left. I remember first seeing the announcement on the Metallica official site, and I felt like this was the end of my favorite band. How would they ever replace him? So later on that night I was looking through my Metallica albums and I noticed how Jason contributed to 3 songs in his entire span with Metallica (Blackened, Where The Wild Things Are, and My Friend of Misery.) I remember telling my brother about it and not being so worried about Metallica since Jason never did much on studio work. Then I got to thinking about them live, and I thought who is going to back up Hetfield on Creeping Death? Who will James switch vocals with on Seek & Destroy and Whiplash?

Well, I went through the next few months and finally some light was shined on the inside story. An interview with Metallica a few months prior to Newsted's departure had shined this light for me. In the article the four members of Metallica said a lot of things about each other. Jason revealed all of the hazing he had gone through, and noted that the turning of his bass down on the Justice album had been done intentionally as part of this hazing. He also spoke about other early on incidents about the other guys spreading rumors about his sexuality, trashing his stuff, etc. I was starting to see what a great guy this was to play with them and put on the incredible shows he did. To think, Jason filled in for Hetfield on some Summer Sanitarium shows showed that Jason believed in the music no matter what the others had done to him.

After more reading of the Playboy article they discuss Jason wanting to record stuff outside of Metallica in his Chophouse studio. Well, it seems this was looked at as betrayal by Hetfield, who just told Jason flat out no, there was no way he was going to do that. Jason responded saying that James was singing in the South Park movie, James appears on COC albums, Lars can play drums on a Mercyful Fate track, and Kirk can play with Orbital, but when it comes to him wanting to do some solo stuff its forbidden. Hetfield claimed it was fine to do what he had done in the past because he never put his name on the stuff. I could understand both of their points, but in the end the music had been Jason's ultimate choice which led to his departure.

Like I said before, I hated him for doing it. Leaving Metallica when 2001 was supposed to be the year they headed back to the studio. But after reflecting on how good of a man Newsted was and to endure all of that crap for so long, I was happy for him. He's got to be a lot happier, being free to do what he wants without fear of someone else trying to stop him. I hope he has a successful career with Voivod (Echobrain is still crap). But anyway, if anyone hasn't read that Playboy article and wants to read it, I can send you to a link with the text. I'd post the link here, but it's a more mature article with a lot of adult themes. Anyway, I hope this provides for some discussion.

Rogue II
02-02-2003, 05:01 PM
I read that article too. After reading that and then watching the VH-1 Behind the Music, it seems like Newsted took a lot of abuse.

We'll have to hear the next album before we can really decide how much his departure will effect the band for sure. I don't think it will make too much of a difference.

Tycho
02-02-2003, 05:48 PM
I didn't read the article, and am not yet ready to, but maybe someone could just answer me why they would haze him? Because he was the newest member? Youngest?

A band like Metallica has a cover image, quite well earned, of being professional musicians.

James had a point about solo projects, and the integrity of their image as those that ONLY play as Metallica, so to speak, but this is ruining my image of James (my hero in the band) even more, after his recent problems. I really like James and want to continue to.

I'm not sure this is only Jason's crying to the press side of things, unless other members are going to confirm this, and say, "yeah, we were wrong..." etc.

But I don't notice the bass being turned down on "Justice." Maybe you weren't talking about the album, but in live performances.

Meanwhile, Justic does suffer from a problem: there are not enough high note lead guitars in most of their music. It seemed like Kirk was held back on Justice, musically, and songs wait for him to break into something that cuts through almost murky grunge sounds - but that was before there was even a grunge movement - and Metallica really didn't sell out to going with 'music movements' ever, even if some would say that Black and after were more commercial records.

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Here's something from that Playboy article about why they did it:

PLAYBOY: Tell me about the first year with them.
NEWSTED: Hazing. And a lot of emotional tests.
HETFIELD: We were mourning through anger. "You're here instead of Cliff, so here's what you get." It was therapy for us.

It wasn't Jason's crying over anything. Everything that happened to Jason actually happened. Here's a bit more Newsted says why he thinks they did stuff to him:

PLAYBOY: Why did they do that and why did you put up with it?
NEWSTED: Because it was Metallica, it was my dream come true, man. I was defintely frustrated, fed up and kind of feeling unliked. They did it so see if I could handle it. If you're going to fill the shoes of Cliff Burton, you have to be resilient.

I'll leave you with this last quote from the article about the whole issue....

PLAYBOY: Jason, as time went on, did the band stop hazing you?
NEWSTED: They actually got tougher as time went on. The second and third years were the most brutal. I nstead of fraternity pranks, there were things that cut deep and were based on disrespect.
PLAYBOY: What did they do that was disrespectful?
NEWSTED: Turning the bass down on And Justice For All. Not listening to my ideas, musically.
PLAYBOY: Is Jason even on And Justice For All?
HETFIELD: His picture is on it [big laugh]. Someone sent me a joke CD, with a sticker on the outside that says, "And Justice For All - now with bass!"

What I meant about the bass being turned down, Tycho, is on the album itself. They literally made his bass sound on that album nonexistant. Honestly, Jason never did cry foul when he was with the band. He never mentioned this stuff until he was ready to head out and Metallica knew it was happening. Jason was a good man, and James should have respected Jason's rights to do solo stuff.....because last time I checked James is releasing a solo track he did alone on the upcoming Waylon Jenning's Tribute.....just something to chew on.

Rogue II
02-02-2003, 06:13 PM
That was mostly discussed on the Behind the Music. Newsted was hazed for a couple reasons.

1) the band had already achieved success without him and they didn't want him to think he was getting a free ride.

2) They were still angry and morning the loss of their friend, who he was replacing.

The band was also known as "Alcholica" because they drank so much, and it only picked up after the accident.

2-1B
02-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Jason Newsted is my fave member of 'Tallica, so I was sad to see him leave.
Well, maybe not since he had to deal with crap like that. Maybe they would have handled it better if Jaymz would have laid off the booze and Lars the nose candy. :rolleyes:

I still like the band, but have to agree that they've gone soft over the years. I'm not saying that's a bad direction, just that they did.
Hehehe, I remember Megadeth's set at Ozzfest ('98 maybe?) when Musty Dave made fun of a band who went weak and disappointed a bunch of fans. He said, "well it ain't us and this ain't them" as they tore into The Four Horsemen.

Teehee, I get a kick out of the name James Boba Fettfield. :D
I came up with my own Metalli-Wars name, are you ready . . . ?

Owen Lars Ulrich McCallum ! ! ! !

:crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Dave and Metallica....that's one of my favorite things to talk about. We could throw in Kerry King for fun, too. Man, there's a lot of discussion there. Maybe after Newsted's discussion has passed. I'm not saying the guys were evil and should fail because of what they did to Jason, I just get tired of former fans of his turning their backs on him when he departs for understandable reasons and saying he did nothing for the great band. Jason's a good man, and let's hope Voivod gets better, like what happened with Dave after he was kicked out.

Thanks for getting my name, Caesar. It took the guys at another messageboard awhile to understand how it was derived.

Exhaust Port
02-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Meanwhile, Justic does suffer from a problem: there are not enough high note lead guitars in most of their music.

I pray for the day that AJFA is remixed. I love that album but some of the songs entirely or partially suffer from awfully mixing. Drums in particular are often too dominant and drown out other key elements.

Tycho
02-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yup. James does sound like a prick to me now. It sucks.

I mean they are just about my all-time favorite band (it only varies if I've overplayed them myself), but who in their right mind would want to be in a band with these guys if they're going to be treated like an ugly dog? And if the other 3 could reform, they would've begged Jason to come back instead of taking the stance that they were right all along.

I mean, if they need a base player and all they have to do is be nice to them, then Jason's already qualified :rolleyes:

Instead, they'll have to break a new guy in, regardless of how they treat him. Anyway, hope the record company and Jason parted with a good deal for him and all his work he put into it.

Life can suck.

Most of us would dream of being rock stars and would be saying "Wow, I'm really part of Metallica now? This is so cool!" but Jason walks away saying "Here's a part of my life I'd like to forget!" - and he's talking about Metallica of all bands!

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Well, Tycho that whole thing happened while Jason was still with the band, those comments and everything. I don't know if they've changed or not. Jason says he and James have met since his departure and that they are talking again. Jason hasn't talked bad about Metallica since he's left, and I don't think he believes it is a part of his life he wants to forget anytime soon. I really believe he loved it, even with the crap he was taking the whole time.

Jason says he's a fan of Metallica now, and he wants to see Metallica prove everyone out there that Metallica is still alive with this new album. From what I read about Jason, he still wishes the guys luck, even if he said Voivod could kick Metallica's butt. I've watched a lot of video interviews with Metallica in the studio from 2002-2003....and whenever Jason is brought up it becomes a touchy subject. There are a few things said, that you can't tell if Metallica is joking or genuinely angry Newsted left them.

Remember earlier how I said I didn't look at the group as the same people after the whole album....well the Newsted incident is why. As for the other 3 guys reforming, Lars and Kirk didn't need to reform, it was mostly James who did all of the pushing. I'd like to think of it as James just being that older brother to Jason when he did stuff to him, but some things crossed the line. I can't speak on any of their behalf's, but from what I observed by watching all of those in the studio videos from recently, it's an issue that is really 50/50 as to how all of the parties involved really feel about the split.

mabudonicus
02-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Also about the departure, Newsted said many times that he wanted to pursue different types of music (usually just a media ruse to make ugly things look nice, buy hey), and that does seem to be what he's done......
Back quick to Tycho's list- you need (by maiden) Powerslave, Piece of Mind, Killers, Iron Maiden, number of the beast and maybe seventh son of a seventh son, any of those.
For priest, I suggest starting at the beginning, try "rocka rolla" or "sad wings of destiny" or maybe "stained class", the infamous album... or for a bunch all at once, unleashed in the east or preist live.. I've got the whole catalogue, and it's all great...
Odd choice, (and one that influenced METALLICA) if you can find "fly to the rainbow", "lonesome crow" or "in trance" (Blackout is good too, but less crazy), is early Scorpions... I know, it conjures goofy images, but in the beginning they sound like a cross between zeppelin, sabbath and Hendrix all at once, really awesome.
Sorry, back to Metallica!!!!

PS JBF, I didn't "get" yer name til I saw this thread, for some ridiculous reason, I thought your name was james field and you added boba fett to the middle of it...... :crazed:

Exhaust Port
02-03-2003, 08:59 AM
As much as it sucks to have Jason leave the band due to the above mentioned reasons I think those same reasons are what have kept Metallica around for so long. We all know tons of bands that have self distructed (Sepultura :cry: ) but Metallica has done well throughout the years. For a lot of bands the first sign that they're going to break up is someone puts out a solo album. I don't know what it takes to be in a band but it seems that preservation requires control.

I trust the Metallica members will find a suitable replacement and march on.

Tycho
02-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Actually, I have a lot of the Scorpions' stuff. I guess I knew it better, they got more airtime on the hardrock channels than Priest or Maiden.

Scorpions and Whitesnake should be playing together here at San Diego State's Cox Arena in another week or so. I heard it's not sold out, but I haven't looked into tickets. I think the concert is on Valentine's Day, so it complicates things depending upon which tattered shards of my relationship I'm holding on to.

James Boba Fettfield
02-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Did you know in Germany at the Rock Im Park festival, Metallica is going to be playing along with Iron Maiden and Queens of the Stone Age along with some other well known (but not liked as much) groups. I wish I was in Europe. That's not to mention all of the other great European festivals they're appearing at this summer too.

EDIT: Anyone hear that cover of 53rd and 3rd they put out on the Ramones tribute album? I heard it back a few months ago (crappy quality) and just now heard a much better version of it. It marks the first time Lars actually sings on a studio album alone. Check it out if you liked any of their previous covers. I'd rank this up there with their Black Dog cover, good good stuff.

mabudonicus
02-04-2003, 09:20 AM
I have nothing to add to this right now, just saw JBF's sig and had to comment- I had a quote from "snakebite love" in my sig forever, and no one said anything about it...
LOVE Lemmy and the boys, seen them several times, once they played a field near my house, no joke!!
This IS a real heavy music thread..... are we allowed to say "love me like a reptile" here???:):):)

James Boba Fettfield
02-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Anything that Motorhead has ever said is welcome here, mabudon.

2-1B
02-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Speaking of Lemmy, did you ever see the Ozzy "Don't Blame Me" home video?
Well, Lemmy did his interview in a strip club. :p

James Boba Fettfield
02-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Well, I just read at the metclub that Metallica will announce their official US touring plans. I'm not sure if they'll announce date and venues too, though I hope they do. So tomorrow we'll know for sure about the Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park tour rumors.

Exhaust Port
02-04-2003, 10:16 PM
They seem to be making a lot of plans without announcing a replacement for Jason. Any chance they would hit the road with a standin?

James Boba Fettfield
02-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Don't worry about the bass player vacancy. They started the bass player audtions awhile ago so that they would have a person ready to tour with them. So there won't be a standin, since whoever they pick (expect the announcement soon) will be their official bass player from now on. As Lars said, "It was for the sake of touring and merchandise." So, uh, yeah next time they play live you'll see the 4th official Metallica bass player.

2-1B
02-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Who was the guy that filled in on rythym after Jaymz was attacked by pyro? I know his name was John _____ and he was from Metal Church . . . I want to guess John Marshall but I think that's wrong . . .

James Boba Fettfield
02-05-2003, 04:43 AM
I think it was John Marshall. He filled in for James both times he got hurt.

mabudonicus
02-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Just to respond to Caesar's Lemmy post-
When Motorhead played in the aforementioned field, a few buddies of mine were at a "gentlemans" club and met Lemmy at the pool tables, he was all sullen and drunk and complaining about the sound crew at the show (it was pretty bad, but I was in a good enough condition that I didn't care, as long as it was REALLY loud....it was)
Metallica- that quote about "merchandising" made me recall how, a couple years ago, I wanted to make a shirt with McTallica on it, as they were just pumping stuff out with little consideration as to what it actually was... I didn't like anything off of load OR reload (except no-leaf clover), and the S+M concept, although a good idea, was executed SO BADLY... the orchestra just goes "zhunt-zhunt-zhunt" noodling around in the background, trying to avoind establishing any sort of distinct counter-melody or anything, they're just there, playing the chords...
Ahhh, sorry, here it is the metallica thread and I start hosing them... SORRY!!!
I really love the 1st 3 albums though, and all the garage stuff

Exhaust Port
02-05-2003, 09:36 AM
What about ....And Justice for All?

mabudonicus
02-05-2003, 10:42 AM
I dunno, man, it's pretty good I guess... I mean, there's a few good bits on it.... I play guitar and have worked in studios, so I am critical in a weird way about music.... to me, And Justice really sounds about the same as "Back in Black", I mean, it's just not the same as the stuff that came before, it sounds too much like an attempt to recapture something with different equipment/members...
I really only like up to puppets... on Justice, it really sounds like they've switched to a more dirge-y style, whereas on the first 3 you can hear the bass really upping the ante, in the same way that noel redding kept Hendrix on his toes, and the bass just isn't driving the music on Justice, IMHO....
I'm not slagging anything, just felt like I should explain, since a lot of folks like the 1st 4, and I just can't get past the first 3...
Ah well, I think Accept and Saxon were ingenious, so don't listen too hard:):):)

Exhaust Port
02-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Accept? "Balls to the Wall"?!?!?! :D

I agree that there are some sound issues on AJFA but I think the album would sound a lot better with a simple remixing in the studio as I had said before.

AJFA always seemed to have a "Dark Side of the Moon" feel to me with the lengths of the songs as well as the intricate/complex melody shifts throughout most of the songs. I think that is the one thing that I miss the most from the newer albums are those intricate elements. The earlier stuff, until the Black Album, had so many different elements that I don't see anywhere in the newer stuff. I think that is why I feel S&M is a breath of fresh air as it was an attempt (some of it successful and some not) to recapture that depth missing lately.

Of course don't listen to me too hard either, I own, listen to and enjoy Winger. :crazed:

"She's only Seventeen...........seventeen."

James Boba Fettfield
02-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
Ahhh, sorry, here it is the metallica thread and I start hosing them... SORRY!!!

That's what the thread is for. I think all of us in here are open enough about music to see the music criticized. I'm surprised there haven't been more people in here attacking the band for things they've done. Then again, maybe the 5 of us who've been keeping this metal thread going are the only ones who know the music enough to discuss it. So, uh...I'll keep my eyes open about that tour that's being announced in LA. Please come within 2 hours of the Cincinnati area on this tour.

James Boba Fettfield
02-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Here's the press release!

FOR IMMEDATE RELEASE
February 5th, 2003

METALLICA, LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK COMMITTED to the SANITARIUM
Rock fans rejoice! Three of the music world's greatest, most vital bands are joining forces for one of the most compelling tours in rock history, the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003. Metallica, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park come together for this once-in-a-lifetime live extravaganza that will kick off this coming summer, with all 3 bands playing headline length sets. The 3 groups are also delivering new albums to coincide with this unprecedented juggernaut throughout the U.S. The Summer Sanitarium Tour is slated to officially begin on July 4th. Metallica's inaugural Summer Sanitarium tour - which trekked across the U.S. in a series of sold out shows in the summer of 2000 - was one of the most successful concert events of that year, and featured some of the biggest names in rock, including Metallica, Korn, Kid Rock and System Of A Down.

For Metallica, who will be delivering their first studio album in more than five years this summer, the tour will mark their first appearance on American stages since 2000's Summer Sanitarium run. With more than 85 million albums sold worldwide, and holding down gold or platinum certifications in more than 40 countries, Metallica enters their third decade at the top of their game, largely regarded as one of the most influential groups in music history. Since their inception in 1981 the group has broken countless records, garnered numerous awards including 6 Grammys and engaged in several history-charting performances, including a groundbreaking appearance with the San Francisco Symphony in 1999. Their much anticipated new disc - their 8th studio album - entitled St. Anger, will be in stores on June 10th and is their first studio release since 1997's Re-Load, which debuted at #1 in 12 countries around the world and has sold more than 12 million albums worldwide to date.

Limp Bizkit, led by multi-talented frontman Fred Durst burst on to the rock scene in 1997 with their masterpiece, Three Dollar Bill, Y'all$, and are credited with single-handedly re-invigorating the rock genre by changing the face of alternative and rock radio. Having sold 28 million albums worldwide with just 3 studio releases, their last studio album Chocolate Starfish and The Hot Dog Flavored Water, sold 13 million copies worldwide and is certified platinum in 33 countries. It is the only rock record in the history of Sound Scan to sell over 1 million copies in its first week of sales. The band's long awaited follow up, Lessismore is tentatively set to be released May of 2003.

Linkin Park became the biggest selling band of 2001 with more than 8 million albums sold for their acclaimed album Hybrid Theory. Hailed by critics and fans alike as one of rock's most important new forces, the band refuses to be pigeonholed as 'just' a rock band, describing their sound as a 'cross-section of many genres', including alternative rock, hip hop and electronic. For the past eighteen months Linkin Park has been hard at work on Meteora, their new album on Warner Bros. Records due March 25th, 2003. Produced by Don Gilmore and Linkin Park, Meteora features Linkin Park's new single 'Somewhere I Belong,' which will be released to radio in late February.

In addition, Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003 is proud to announce Mudvayne to the line-up. The Peoria, Illinois, quartet are supporting their second album, The End of All Things To Come following the gold success of their debut L.D. 50.

In no particular order, here are the confirmed cities for Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003. Specific dates to be confirmed later. Most of these shows will go on sale February 22nd. Stay tuned! (One more band still to be announced!!!)

Minneapolis
St. Louis
Orlando
Philadelphia
New York
Boston
Columbus
Montreal
Dallas
Houston
Seattle
Denver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Detroit
Toronto
Washington /Baltimore
Chicago

I just read that last unannounced band is going to be the Deftones. That is all.

JediTricks
02-05-2003, 06:52 PM
mabudon, you are the only other person I know who doesn't like anything off Load or Reload besides me. I kinda gave up after Load, I was never a superfan and that one just didn't do it for me... my grandmother likes it the best of all their albums though, no lie! She likes polish though while I prefer a balance between polish and raw (I'm somewhat anti-concert and anti-live-album).

EP, that's an interesting analogy, AJFA to DSOTM, and a year ago I would have agreed with you totally, but recently I dusted off AJFA and some of it feels like they're faking complexity, instead of making one complex song with a lot of changes it's just 1 song merged with or surrounding the other. Dark Side is really just an hour-long song to me. :D

The black album at least reminds me of Van Halen in a way, I guess the "selling out" way. ;) But it's still a strong album IMO simply because it does work so well as a huge change from earlier Metallica. But what do I know, I don't play any musical instrument and rarely listen to music at all. :crazed:

Exhaust Port
02-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah the black album was quite a departure at the time but I really like what they did with it. My favorite song of all time is Nothing Else Matters which looking back on it's not too much like Metallica's style IMO. Have you heard the Elevator Version of Nothing Else Matters? Man, that would have been too much to handle as a Metallica fan. :)

mabudonicus
02-06-2003, 09:27 AM
JT- hmmmmm, could it be the orange/green vision thing that makes us agree on load/reload too?? :):)

Anyways, glad that we have open minded types here, I have been kicked out of metallica fan buddies houses for concisely criticizing the canon.....
ExP- the guitar and bass backbone of "17" is outright AWESOME!!! Winger weren't much, but they had some fun rockers (the A.M. power ballads are what killed em, IMO), I have a couple winger albums in my collection....

In reference to the press release, I just gotta say that that's the one big plus in my area, if something is coming to Canada, it'll come to Toronto, and that's an hour away... WoooHoooo!!! (Although the only concerts I'm looking forward to enough to attend would be Anvil, Dio or MANOWAR, who are the very BEST!!)

And just to throw another metal ingredient into this mix, what about "Grim Reaper", ever hear them?? Totally crazy speedy metal, nutty vocals, they were awesome, and available in bargain bins everywhere, pick em up if ya see em....

Oh, and anyone here like XentriX, they sound like early metallica/megadeth, I have a couple albums and they were pretty darn great too....
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! \m/ \m/

Exhaust Port
02-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Grim Reaper?!?! Oh man, your killing me. Those guys provided a pretty steady stream of video material for Beavis and Butthead over the years. I don't own any of there stuff but my old roommate did and it was hilarious to listen to. Your right, they are bargain bin filler all over the world right now. :)

Tycho
02-06-2003, 01:21 PM
I am soooo going to the L.A. show! I hope they add dates to their tour like San Diego!

I wouldn't sell my L.A. tickets then, but I'd go twice!

Linkin Park is constantly played in my CD player and hasn't left my the changer in my truck for a year!

"It's like I'm paranoid, always lookin' over my back," - thinkin' one day while I'm driving, I'm gonna be missin' those tracks!!!

so

"Do you feel what I feel?" An addicition while driving my truck. Sounds are blaring loud....

ok, I'll stop trying to bend song lyrics while I'm ahead...(I'm posting in a hurry anyway) but I've had some of my best times at Metallica concerts, and with Linkin Park with them - there you go!

I have to confess to not knowing what is and is not Limp Bizcut's music well enough to say if I like them, or don't. They're popular enough that they must have some redeeming qualities, so maybe I'll enjoy it. As a Queensryche fan, I don't need what's popular. I'll like what's good.

"Seeking no [the] truth, winning is all, [rocking so long, so hard, so real] Justice is Done!"

Exhaust Port
02-06-2003, 02:08 PM
As a Queensryche fan, I don't need what's popular. I'll like what's good.

So you can pass on Limp Bizkit then. ;)

El Chuxter
02-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Forgive me if this is old news, but don't make no plans for June 10.

St. Anger (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=87&ncid=689&e=7&u=/030206/143/37lu7.html)

:Pirate: Arrrrrgh!

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I know, as soon as I saw that in their press release for the tour I was excited. I cannot wait to get ahold of Street Anger*!

Exhaust Port
02-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Is it Street Anger or Saint Anger? I initially read that as Saint but I could be wrong.

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2003, 10:04 PM
It's Saint. I said street because in a video I watched from the conference yesterday, Hetfield wrote the name on a napkin and showed it to the camera and commented on the name by saying stuff like, "The albums name is Street Anger," and then Kirk said something like, "No, no it's Stanger." But yeah, it's supposed to be saint.

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2003, 01:26 AM
I was looking through some old saved pics I have on my hard drive and I found one that might give some discussion. I really don't know what to say about it, but anyway....

2-1B
02-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Ricky's presence in that pic is hardly alarming when one considers Lars' mulletsprout. :(

Hmmmm, and of what might St. Anger be the patron saint ? ? ? ? :D

mabudonicus
02-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Why, patron saint of "RUH!!!!!", of course!!!!!
:):)
ExP, glad you at elast are familiar with Grim reaper... everything about that band is HILARIOUS, indeed....
And while I'm mentioning a few other bands, anyone here listen to Primal Fear or Gamma Ray??? Anyone who likes Priest, Maiden or Manowar would love these bands, they are fairly recent additions to the metal pantheon, but their stuff is amazing, it's like grunge never happened and Metal just kept getting stronger, much of their material actually brings the occasional tear of joy to my crimson eyes....

2-1B
02-09-2003, 08:14 PM
I bought the Jason Newsted figure on clearance last night, I've been wanting him for awhile. I'm not really interested in getting the whole band unless Spencer's clearances the numerous box sets they have stocked overhead (same goes for Kiss Creatures, I'm waiting for clearance there, too - except for Eric Carr since he's never been done before).

I like this figure, the leg articulation really bothers me but it's to be expected from McFarlane. The hair sculpt took some getting used to, but I think it works well with his head which is a decent sculpt.

Right now he's part of my own "supergroup" with Angus Young, Eric Carr, and Alice Cooper. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Uh, speaking of all things bass related. Twiggy Ramirez is supposed to have joined A Perfect Circle, so Rob Trujillo's chances at joining Metallica have gotten better. Keep in mind, I only read that Twiggy thing at Blabbermouth, so I'm hoping they're right about it.

And if you go here and listen to the first interview listed, you can hear Metallica's recent thoughts on Jason Newsted.

http://www.ksjo.com/metallica_interview.html

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
The band was also known as "Alcholica" because they drank so much, and it only picked up after the accident.

Sorry about bring this up now since the post it is from is older, but the Alcoholica thing was way before Cliff's death. Maybe you meant when the name picked up with the public, but in the attached picture you can see James wearing a shirt for Alcoholica before 1986. A cookie to who can guess who James is with.

EDIT-The date for the picture is 1985 at the Monsters of Rock Festival. I was going to post a picture from their photo shoot for Alcoholica in 1984, but I didn't think it belonged here. Just drop a PM if you want to see that one too.

Tycho
02-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Looks like Klaus from the Scorpions.

Sunglasses makes it harder to tell, and I stopped looking at most heavy metal magazines in favor of the ones with more pictures of girls a long time ago.

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2003, 01:07 AM
The guy he is with is more of a solo known man. Kind of like Santana, Ozzy, etc.

mabudonicus
02-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Zakk Wylde??
Hey, how come no-one acknowledged my "patron saint of RUH" post?? I was rather proud of it....

Exhaust Port
02-11-2003, 09:17 AM
DIO?

scruffziller
02-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I was looking through some old saved pics I have on my hard drive and I found one that might give some discussion. I really don't know what to say about it, but anyway....

What's alarming is that Lars is leaning a little too snuggly against Ricky there.:sur:

mrmiller
02-11-2003, 02:14 PM
I can't wait for the next album to come out- I like all the Metallica albums, of course some more than others. I like the Black album (Metallica) and don't see it as a sell out. It seems like every time a long lasting band reaches commercial sucess everyone wants to label them a sell-out. I like how they have changed things up over the years. I don't need 8 albums that sound exactly the same. Agreed it's not as good as the older stuff- it still rocks. I love S&M, but it suffers if you don't play it on a high end system- cranked to the max. All live albums must pe played on a quality system, and loud. Live stuff never sounds right unless it's about to blow your ears out of your skull.

=MATT=

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2003, 02:22 PM
The guy in the picture is Yngwie Malmsteen, Swedish guitar guru.

El Chuxter
02-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Yngwie like, rules, and stuff. :D

If you've not picked up We're a Happy Family: Tribute to Ramones, it's on sale at Target for $8.99 and worth every penny. The entire CD rocks--even Marilyn Manson contribution isn't bad. I think this will go down in history as the only commercially released CD where you can find Metallica, U2, KISS, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers on one album. (Do any of y'all know who the lineup is on the KISS song? I assume Paul, Ace, Gene, and Eric Singer, but it doesn't say.)

Oh, and Metallica still rocks. :Pirate:

James Boba Fettfield
02-13-2003, 12:17 PM
KISS almost wasn't included on that album.

EDIT-It was Gene, Eric, and Paul who recorded for that cover.

El Chuxter
02-13-2003, 02:38 PM
KISS almost wasn't included on that album.

Yeah, their contribution sort of surprised me (even moreso than U2). Couldn't they have been seen as everything the Ramones were against?

Back to Yngwie, has anyone else heard the cover he did of "Tie Your Mother Down" with Lemmy on the otherwise horrible Queen tribute, Dragon Attack? I think it may outrank Metallica's awesome take on "Stone Cold Crazy" among the best Queen covers.

(See, I mentioned Metallica and brought it full circle, back to the topic :happy:.)

James Boba Fettfield
02-13-2003, 04:59 PM
The interview I saw with Paul about the album, he said something about how the album was pretty much finished with everyone else's contributions, and Paul found out about it and he said he wished KISS could have laid down a track for the album. I can't remember if he said this to Zombie, or the remaining Ramones, but either way they told him it wasn't too late and KISS got their wish to honor the Ramones.

2-1B
02-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Too bad they couldn't bring Tommy Thayer into the Ramones Tribute studio with them to reprise his role as Ace. :crazed:

Eric Singer is a really cool guy, I met him at a convention last year and he signed several things for me: Alive III CD booklet, Alice Cooper Brutally Live DVD cover, and a few pics of him with Kiss, one of them in Pete's makeup. :D He's a sincere guy, replied to EVERY email I ever sent (so does Bruce Kulick), and I greatly appreciate it. I was not big on the idea of anyone taking over in makeup but since they did it anyway, I was glad it was him. I agree it should not have been done in the first place but I don't fault him one bit for taking the gig as several fans were pretty brutal. :(

Chux, thanks for the Target heads up - I may have to get the CD at that price. :)

A few years ago I bought a VHS copy of The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for $2.99 at Best Buy - anyone else have that ?
It's AWESOME. Metallica opened with a few tunes, and then the collaborative tributes began.

Speaking of that Tribute, I was just thinking about the footage from "A Year and a Half in the Life . . . " in which Metallica are confronted backstage by Spinal Tap. It's so funny, the way Tap points out the blackness of the eponymous Metallica album. I loved how they "wondered" where a band might get an idea for a black album (Smell the Glove). :crazed:

Tap rules ! :happy:

James Boba Fettfield
02-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Well, here's some quotes from Fred Durst and Jason Newsted they made recently.

FRED DURST
I've got a lot to show right now. I'm at a point in my life where if you think Limp Bizkit has made any bit of a dent or an impact, live or anything, it's nothing. I'm about to rip your f****** head off. This is the time of my life where I'm more ready than ever, and I'm gonna...You don't even f****** know. I feel bad for anybody who has to f****** go on after me.

Good, because I expect to get my money's worth, Durst. Make it good, or prepare for a lone boo coming from me. Oh, and I really doubt Metallica needs to worry about following you.

JASON NEWSTED
It's a joke I think Metallica are just a joke, I don't think they have any idea. I am fan of Metallica again, I did my thing in there and felt good and I'm proud of that s*** and I am more proud than sour. But that's the integrity down the f****** tube! Why can't they take out Strapping Young Lad, why can't they take out In Flames? What they are doing now is such an obvious cash thing and has nothing to do with the music that we're supposed to be fighting for.
Kirk got quoted about their new record sounding like Entombed, how can it sound like Entombed, how? Who is playing bass to make it sound like Entombed, James is a good bass player but c'mon dude! Lars - he hasn't practiced enough drums over the years _ he let his art fall away from him, he doesn't have the same finesse as he used to have, so how is it going to sound like Entombed and have that energy? And anyway if they are speaking like that how come they are not talking Entombed out on tour? Or Meshuggah -how came they are not staying true to their words? That's what really bother me.
There is political s*** going on, they are really against us being on the same bills. Wherever Metallica is you won't be seeing Voivod.

Jason, Jason, Jason...Just last week you loved Metallica and now this. I think James was right in saying you miss Metallica, and it hurt for you to finally hear James say you aren't coming back in his interview last week. Get over it, Jason. You left Metallica and it's time to move on. Remember the bands you toured with during SS 2000? Remember how during the shows without James you loved those bands and praised them after every song? Remember saying how cool Kid Rock was after you performed Fuel? Because I remember you saying it. What's so different now about this tour and that last tour. Jason, you are sour about leaving. I defended you like crazy in the past, but you need to stop acting like a baby forever and act like a man.

One more thing...

JASON NEWSTED
I think it's important that people know that VOIVOD is the first heavy metal album from a recorded member of METALLICA ever! It's seemingly obvious, but not a whole lot of people realize it. I think that statement is f****** huge. As a fan of metal, if I got to be outside of my body for awhile, I'd be like, 'What? The heavy guy in Metallica put out a record? What the f***?' They always wanted that s*** from me. When 'Load' and 'Reload' came, they were like, 'Where's Jason's influence, man?' I was saying it to myself, too. Now is my chance for them to hear. This is my first time, dude, that I get to decide what people hear from me and the full production. I think this is the best bass I've ever played in my life. It's big. There's a lot to it. There's a lot of confidence there, and I feel very, very alive.

Nice comment you made there Jason, perhaps you need to check Metallica's catalog again. Maybe you forgot about Master of Puppets being a Metallica album? Jason, you're a pretty decent guy, but please, shut up.

Rogue II
02-14-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
A few years ago I bought a VHS copy of The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for $2.99 at Best Buy - anyone else have that ?
It's AWESOME. Metallica opened with a few tunes, and then the collaborative tributes began.

I saw that concert on TV. It was pretty awesome. Do you know if they ever released it on CD?

DarthChuckMc
02-14-2003, 06:52 AM
I love this thread. I've meet Metallica on 2 occassions. Once in Tampa in 1984-5 after the Monsters of Rock show. It was about 6 months before AJFA came out, and they were "teasing" the crowd. James and Lars were complete a**holes. Kirk was kinda "prissy", a little...ehh, but he would talk to people. Jason was the coolest. Maybe because he was new, and wanted to make a good impression on the fans. I met them again in Daytona Beach (which QUEENSRYCHE was the opening band, Op:MC just came out, but hadn't "BLOWN UP" yet. Once again, Lars was an a**hole, Kirk was prissy but more talkative, James was a little talkative, and Jason was the coolest.
Now, as far as Jason's comments about Metallica's "heavyness" or lack of, and that HE was what made that band "HEAVY METAL"......puuuuuhhhhhlleeeeeeeeeeeease. DUDE!, YOU'RE A BASS PLAYER!!!. Unless you are Steve Harris from Maiden, Geddy Lee from Rush, or Nikki Sixx from the Crue, NOBODY CARES! Bass players are the most hated musicians in the world next to that Pan Flute guy. Noone cares about the bass player. I was in a band in High School and through my early 20s, and we HATED our bass player. With the exception of maybe Nikki Sixx, NO HOT a** girl wants to be with the bass player. Bass players are the red headed stepchildren of the music industry.

mabudonicus
02-14-2003, 07:25 AM
What's this about bassists?? You forgot Lemmy and Joey DeMaio (MANOWAR) as a couple other "signature" bassists from the hard rock/metal world...

Quick response to Chux... MAN does that cover ever ROCK!!! I heard it on the local "rock radio", commercial music outlet.. they were laughing about how odd it was these two old "skeletons" would "try" to "rock" (and these guys always talk about how heavy CREED is fer cryin out loud).....
That cover blew my doors off, man, I've always liked the Queen original, but that tune was just made for Lemmy and the Nuge... I only heard it a couple times, and had sorta forgotten it, after so long, I think I saw a used copy of that CD recently here in town, just didn't like Dragon attack or a lot of other newer Queen and never thought about it... guess I'm getting it. Thanks for bringing it up, Chux!!

Oh, and those Newsted comments... pretty funny, the "entombed" stuff... can't see Metallica sounding ANYTHING like them now, or even ever, really, but if that's what they say.. I like how ticked off the band became at the intimation that Newsted was playing the first heavy metal that any member of Metallica ever played... totally obvious baiting going on, since no-one could dispute MOP or RTL as metal, but they certainly have ceased writing any new metal for 12 years at least...
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

El Chuxter
02-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Caesar, I saw that concert, and it rocked! Long live Freddie!! (Back before Axl was a dorkus.) It was recently remastered for DVD, and I will definitely be picking it up soon.

James Boba Fettfield
02-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Metallica didn't get ticked off about Newsted's comments. The only thing they said about him recently was that he was still a friend, and they considered his departure a healthy divorce.

I didn't know bass players were hated. Gene Simmons is a ladies man, and he plays bass. Cliff Burton was a ladies man, he played bass. The beginning to For Whom The Bell Tolls is all about bass. Bass is just as cool and heavy as the drummer playing double bass.

And Chuck, you might want to change that year to 1988, since in 84 and 85 they still had Cliff and didn't play in Tampa.

JediTricks
02-14-2003, 05:34 PM
It's true, bass players get absolutely no respect. My mom played guitar all her life, a few years ago she switched to playing bass (a fairly expensive gig for me to help finance since you need at least 10 times the watts in your amp to play at the same level as the guitar and drums) and there's like NO respect from anybody towards this instrument; it's more like peer pressure now, it's "cool" to bag on the bass player in public even if you own a bass at home. What sucks is the bass is a cool instrument, I don't even play musical instruments but I occasionally pick up my mom's acoustic bass and mess around with it.

Bass players are the red headed stepchildren of the music industry.Yeah, look at that piece of crap that everybody hates Sting. ;)

DarthChuckMc
02-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Sorry 'bout the date mix up...you're right it was '88, 6/5/88...found my ticket stub.
I didn't mean to imply that there aren't GOOD or even GREAT bass players...I'm just saying, they aren't the guy that everyone goes to the shows to see. Noone buys an album because of the bass player, unless it's Stu Hamm or Jaco Pastorius (sp).
People either love the singer, usually girls, that's why those guys are pretty like Kip or Janie, or guys go because they are in love with the guitar player...like Steve Vai, Van Halen, John Petrucci, or George Lynch. Drummers usually get reckognized because they are normally the CRAZY guy. But the bass player..ehh....
And Sting is an awesome bass player, but most "fans" don't know that, it's the musically inclined that pay attention to stuff like that.

JediTricks
02-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by DarthChuckMc
I didn't mean to imply that there aren't GOOD or even GREAT bass players...I'm just saying, they aren't the guy that everyone goes to the shows to see.
I know, the saying around LA is that groupies would rather go off with a roadie than a bass player. :D

And Sting is an awesome bass player, but most "fans" don't know that, it's the musically inclined that pay attention to stuff like that. They're all too busy waiting for him to dig them out of wells. ;) :D :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Here's some dates and places for that upcoming tour:

07/04/03 Detroit, MI Pontiac Silverdome
07/06/03 Foxboro, CA Gillette Stadium
07/13/03 Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl
07/19/03 Columbus, OH Ohio Stadium
07/25/03 St. Louis, MO Edward Jones Dome
07/27/03 Minneapolis, MN Metrodome
08/01/03 Denver, CO Invesco Field
08/03/03 Irving, TX Texas Stadium

2-1B
02-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks to Chux for recommending the Ramones Tribute, I'm listening to it right now - good stuff !
Metallica's track is good, but my faves are definately the tunes by Zombie and Kiss. :)

Also, thanks to Chux for the heads up on the Freddie DVD - I'll get it too. I like Gary Cherone and Extreme, another reason why I want a better quality copy. The medley is particularly awesome. :)

Rogue II
02-15-2003, 08:43 AM
I read on Amazon.com that the DVD of the Freddy Mercury concert is not the entire concert (one person claims the G n' R and Def Leppard performances are missing).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000077VPU/qid%3D1045320140/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-2772132-2377645

There is this double DVD, but it is Region 4:
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y02Y0137149Y2582787/qid=1045320043/sr=1-1/002-2772132-2377645

Exhaust Port
02-15-2003, 09:28 AM
07/19/03 Columbus, OH Ohio Stadium

Wow, I'm suprised that they're holding the Columbus tour at the OSU stadium and not the Polaris location. With the increased seating capacity after the renovation and the fact that they can cram several more thousand on the field would bring the seating capacity to probably 110,000+. I imagine a lot of empty seats for this one.

The only concert that I went to at the Ohio Stadium was Pink Floyd back in '92 or '93. That was in a much smaller Ohio Stadium and school was in session giving them 50,000 students alone to draw on. That concert sold out, but this lineup and time of year probably won't be able to do that now. I would rather see any Columbus date at a venue outside of the city limits.

James Boba Fettfield
02-15-2003, 12:21 PM
From what I understand about the dvd is that all of the performances that were not Queen covers are not included on it.

JON9000
02-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Sorry 'bout the date mix up...you're right it was '88, 6/5/88...found my ticket stub.
I didn't mean to imply that there aren't GOOD or even GREAT bass players...I'm just saying, they aren't the guy that everyone goes to the shows to see. Noone buys an album because of the bass player, unless it's Stu Hamm or Jaco Pastorius

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!

El Chuxter
02-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Primus sucks!! :) (I'm sure I don't have to bring up the sad story of Les Claypool's audition for Metallica, do I?)

Wasn't there a Kids in the Hall skit about the bass player being hated?
"Hey, you guys gonna go hang out and party or what, guys?"
"Uh, no, we're, uh, going to go back and get to bed early. We've got a hard day ahead of us tomorrow!"

Queen's later stuff is really hit and miss, but I highly recommend their final studio album, Innuendo. Not a full return to their early rocking stuff, but close to it. There's also a good compilation from 1997 called Queen Rocks Vol. 1 (curiously, there's been no talk of Vol. 2) that collects most of their more hard-rocking moments. And of course, no one should be without their first six studio albums (Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, and News of the World).

Caesar, I bought the Ramones tribute entirely for Metallica, U2, and Kiss (though with RHCP and Rob Zombie, I probably would've gotten it eventually anyway). I've never been a big Ramones fan, though more from ignorance than anything else (I love the small handful of songs I've heard). Aside from the Offspring's carbon copy cover, it's an excellent CD. Gotta agree with you on the Kiss and RZ songs beating out Metallica; I think U2 and the RHCP are at better, too. (Partly because it's incredibly funny to hear Bono singing "Beat on the brat with a baseball bat, oh yeah.")

And speaking of GNR videos, anyone know if the two-tape Use Your Illusion Live in Japan has been released on DVD or is slated for future release? I wore out my tapes of that years ago. (Back when Axl still had a brain.)

(How's that for a random, disjointed post?)

2-1B
02-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Chux, while purchasing Kiss Unplugged on DVD (OOP in the US :frus: so I had to go overseas through eBay to get a foreign release of IDENTICAL quality :) ) I dealt with a dealer in Brazil who was selling region-free versions of those GNR Illusions.
Totally legitimate releases, NOT bootlegs. I'm not sure what country they were originally released in or if they have subtitles but I do know there is a legit release out there.

I almost bought it for myself, but got sidetracked by a region-free DVD of Aerosmith's Big Ones You Can Look At (since a US release seems wayyyyy off ;) ).

edit:

okay, I looked up that Brazillian seller I was telling you about and he currently has no copies of the Illusion DVDs . . . but wow does he have some other cool stuff. :)

Anyway, I did a general eBay search and found a different seller in Brazil offering the same discs. It looks like it wouldn't be a problem to get both discs for $20 - $25, there are several BINs at $25 for the pair.

Here's a link to see a pic and description of the DVDs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3311779790&category=2303

Tycho
02-16-2003, 12:24 AM
This is slightly off the topic, but the best group of forumites to share with:

last night I saw the Valentines' Day Concert for

Dokken Whitesnake & The Scorpions!

I'll be brief but want to discuss this with whoever is interested as a relevant metal tangent topic....

Don Dokken has really lost his voice. I always liked Dokken and they played totally awesome last night. But Don didn't strain himself to hit a lot of different high notes, or hold them for too long. Like in "Kiss of Death" he'd sing "She promised paradise as she lied upon the bed." Instead of "Sheee Prom-missed Paaarrah-Diiiice as she leye-eyed upon the behyed." Sorry I tried to write that phonetically as it's supposed to be sung. Well, Don kind of talked his way through many songs.

Their guitars sounded awesome and the acoustics in Cox Arena at San Diego State were actually pretty darn awesome! It's funny to think I had my college graduation ceremony in there and got my diploma where Don Dokken was standing...but I digress.

They played some awesome sets including "In My Dreams!" and I'd go see a show with them just to hear those songs live again. Wow, did it bring back memories!

WHITESNAKE was totally the best performance of the night! They rock and "I don't care what the people think. I can't hear what the people say. I steal around like a thief in the night, dancin' til the break of day! Bad boyz! Runnin under cover of moonlight! Bad-Bad Boyz, getting wild in the streets, wild in San Diego! Yeah!" They opened with that song then went right into Slide it In! David Coverdale was an awesome entertainer, though he kept making jokes about bringing whitesnakes to the "Cox Arena" and what he was going to give all the girls on Valentines' Day - "In the still of the night I heard the wolf howl Honey! Sniffin around your door!" "So give me all your love tonight. Give me ALL YOUR love tonight. I'll do anything you want, just give me all of your lovin tonight!" They played all old stuff - the stuff we love like Crying in the Rain so they really had the audience pumped.

By the time Whitesnake was on the floor, the house was almost sold-out full! Best of all, it was not just an old crowd. I met 2 girls there that night, one 23, and one 18, that I was dancing with. And there were still somking dragons, inflated laytex 'water' balloons, and bras and panties moving from the bleachers to the floor to the stage! That's what I call a great concert!

And the rocker chics in their tiny, tight, red leather mini-skirts and bikini tops hadn't aged since they dressed that way in the 80's. It's either coming back, or Whitesnake has had their little slitherers keeping cosmetic surgery profitable into the 21st Century!

Scorpions did the finale on the show. They were great, but they didn't balance their ampliphier outputs well enough that you could here Klaus over the guitars all the time. But when they played The Zoo everyone in the house was slow-dance grinding with their girlfriends and it was a throbbing groove of a song! They had lights and sirens going off all over the place for Breakout! For Valentines' Day "There's No One Like You! I can't wait for a night with you! I imagine the things we'll do! I just want to be close to you!" "IN THE BIG CITY! BIG CITY LIGHTS You keep me rocking! Big City Big City Nights!"

I had to run to the beer recycling center for men during the stomp for an encore, and it was just a funny location to be in when someone shouted "I can feel the Winds of Change" coming. The smart guy that I am, I replied loudly, "Well don't aim them this way, Dude!" Then I also said something that I could have gotten my butt kicked for concerning two guys hollering for each other to hurry so they didn't miss the encore. But too many people were laughing. Just a little Valentines' Day joke there in the re-distilled- liquor-and -kidney- repair center. I get nasty when I drink :evil:

They finished with Rock You Like A Hurricane of course!

So man, was it a fun night! I can't wait. Metallica tickets go on sale this Saturday!

"And the Earth becomes my Throne!"

James Boba Fettfield
02-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Metallica tickets go on sale this Saturday!

You don't know that for sure.

I quote The Met Club website as of a few minutes ago:

Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003 Cities/Dates Announced

We have our first set of confirmed dates/venues for the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003! Don't worry - this is only a partial list and will be updated constantly as details get locked in for all the cities.

MetClub members will be able to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Information about the MetClub pre-sale (dates, times, etc) will begin to update on Tuesday, Feb 18th. Not all shows will go on sale at the same time, so check back often - we will have tickets to all the US dates eventually, and remember, things change quickly around here! Clubbers may purchase up to four tickets per show, per member.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMER SANITARIUM TOUR 2003

Date City, State Venue On Sale Date Clubber Pre-Sale
July 4th Detroit, MI Pontiac Silverdome Feb 22nd TBA
July 6th Foxboro, MA Gillette Stadium Feb 22nd TBA
July 13th Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl Feb 22nd TBA
July 19th Columbus, OH Ohio Stadium Feb 22nd TBA
July 25th St. Louis, MO Edward Jones Dome Feb 22nd TBA
July 27th Minneapolis, MN Metrodome Feb 22nd TBA
Aug 1st Denver, CO Invesco Field Feb 24th TBA
Aug 3rd Irving TX Texas Stadium Feb 22nd TBA

NOTE: These following cities are still to be confirmed with dates and venues: Philadelphia, New York, Montreal, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Toronto, Washington/Baltimore, Chicago and now Atlanta!

Right now the California shows haven't announced their ticket dates, so they might go on sale later. I'll let you know Tuesday, since that's when they're supposed to let the Met Club have details so we can get first crack at tickets.

Tycho
02-16-2003, 12:43 AM
Cool. Please post the news on the Metallica shows. I'll be going for the L.A. tickets. I've already decided that if they end up adding a San Diego date, I'll just go to both shows.

Concerts never last long enough anyways!

But Metallica has played here before in Chula Vista's Coors' Amplitheater and the shows there were great, and even moreso if you like Coors' beer (because you don't have much else for choices of beverages, hehehhee)

It's an outdoor amplitheater in the hills by our big water park. During the Reload Tour someone lit a huge tumbleweed on fire during "Fuel" and the cops chased these off-roaders with a police helicopter! That stuff was a cool addition to the music (plus they played Master, Sanitarium, Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ride the Lightning, Trapped Under Ice, Indpendence Limited (Eye of the Beholder), and so many other old-school songs I like).

Anyway, does anybody want to ask or add anything about

Dokken
Whitesnake
The Scorpions

while it's kind of current?

Any fans of those bands here?

They put on a killer show! It's so sweet being able to see what once were headliner bands on their own get together and still fill a stadium-sized show!

James Boba Fettfield
02-16-2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I'll keep the thread updated with the information about the tour and bass player announcement which is supposed to happen before the end of the month.

Sorry I don't have much to add about that show you saw last night, I never listened to those bands much. I will admit that I do love that rock you like a hurricane song. That's all I got.

mabudonicus
02-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Tycho... Did the scorps do any of their CLASSIC stuff, like "catch your train", "dark lady", "robot man".. any of that stuff???
I like Whitesnake and Dokken well enough (I recall requesting "slide it in" every night for a month when it came out... I didn't understand "power rotation" back then or I would've just waited for it every 4 hours:)) but the Scorps are one of my favourites (although, for the last 20 years or so I can't really say that they've maintained the quality of their first 10 years)

2-1B
02-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Don Dokken may have lost his voice, but he'll always have his killer wig !

Tycho
02-17-2003, 01:47 AM
You know, writing the lyrics to "Alone Again" into your sweetheart's valentine, works! :happy:

-especially if you're dating someone young enough to not remember all the lyrics to these great Dokken songs.

Mabudon: no, sorry the Scorps didn't play the really older stuff, and I have to admit I don't know that stuff by them either. However, I might be mistaken, as during the Scorps show I was quite distracted by something a lot prettier than Klaus! Let's just say it was awesome having the pairing up of these bands on St. Valentine's Day! Notice I added the "saint" part - I only use religious terms when it applies to a miraculous experience. In my case, miraculous is a good way to describe it!

All the bands played their best mixture of rocking and romantic sounds. There was definitely a Valentines' influence on their set choices.

Anyway, I strongly recommend Imesh.com for music downloads. I'll pick up those Scorpions titles after all my Iron Maiden finishes downloading. My computer's been tied up with Whitesnake downloads for hours now.

God it's great to return to rock n roll the way its supposed to be played!

I can't wait for Metallica, Linkin Park, and Limp Bizcuit!

Hey I heard new music from AudioSlave tonight. Check them out. They're a new band I guess, and pretty good!

So who else is touring this summer? The music is moving me!

2-1B
02-17-2003, 02:03 AM
A few years ago I saw the Scorps and I was lucky enough to be brought onstage to do the whistling part of "Winds of Change."

I WISH. :crazed:

Who else is touring this summer?
Well, I'm certainly seeing Ozzfest, Aerosmith/Kiss tour, and Bruce Springsteen when he and the E Street Band make their way through the U.S. again. Mellencamp should be here again this summer, I'm there for sure and hopefully he'll play in the Fall again, too. Alice Cooper has been here every september/october for the past several years and I hope to continue my trend there.

Those are my only "big ticket items" and no, Metalli-corn-Bicuits is not on my list. :)

Aside from that, there will be a few more shows I see, bands TBD. :D There are always a few shows that come around which I HAVE to attend (ex. last summer's Poison/Cinderella/Faster *****cat tour - man I LOVE Cinderella :) ) but those shows aren't really announced all that far in advance . . .

As for some of the oldtimers, I passed on the Styx show last week, I'm passing on Bon Jovi this month, and now Def Leppard is coming but I won't pay much for that show. Maybe I'll go at the last minute if they slash unsold ticket prices.

James Boba Fettfield
02-17-2003, 02:16 AM
I would hope you'd pass on Bon Jovi and Styx.

Tycho
02-17-2003, 02:25 AM
I love Bon Jovi and Cinderella.

Def Leppard has all my history in rock n roll in their escapist jams!

My first 45 - yeah I actually had vinyl records - was the Leps with "Rock of Ages!"

I've been Foolin for years like a God of War Running Riot until Love Bites and the times are Bringing on the Heartbreak. Then it's Me and My Whine until I'm High and Dry then I ride the White Lightning to the Pearl of Euphoria until my Animal gets some Women and I can taste the Sugar again! Tonight! I don't need the Love and Affection, it's Too Late for Love, and I'll just live On Through the Night and Die Hard the Hunter!

Def Leppard rocks. Deliver Me!

Unfortunately, I think I missed their show here in San Diego. This girl I met at Whitesnake had told me she'd just seen them. She came and they went :D That's the way it lays in the Cox Arena ;)

Anybody like Pat Benatar? I'm not much for women vocalists because I appreciate what could go in Christina's throat more than what comes out of it, but Pat Benatar was one of the few women entertainers that really rocked. I'm bringing it up because I'm listening to her from my downloading I've been doing.

It's Napster Nights all over again! I'm in the zone, Baby!

Napter-Napster. Naptster of Music is pulling my strings!
Keeping me up all night like a slave to the grind!

Oh damn! SkidRow - I loved them! Only 3 albums and I've partied with Sebastian Bach and a bunch of girls after one of his solo concerts. But Slave to the Grind was my idea of a perfect rock album! KidRock is nothing next to Sebastian Bach - the original bad-boy from my generation's rock! (OK Vince Neil was only slightly older, and Axl was a major hero of mine until his antics ruined G'NR concerts - though he never cancelled a show I had tickets for - just never sobered - I witnessed SkidRow playing circles around them - well save for Slash - he's a professional).

But man is music something I love to talk about!

BTW: Remy Zero does the Smallville Theme Song "Save Me" and don't tell me Superman can't hold his own with these bands when they got chicks that rock like Kristin Kruek and Allison Mack!

Girls,Girls,Girls! I'm Too Young to Fall In Love. Meet me on the Wild Side, cause I've gone Skydiving naked from an Aeroplane!

2-1B
02-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Sebastian Bach is a moron, but I love some of their songs and really enjoyed the few Skid Row shows I've seen (with Johnny Solinger on vox). :)

Tycho
02-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Any fans of Seven Mary Three here?

James Boba Fettfield
02-17-2003, 11:59 PM
They sing that water's edge song, and I think they also did Cumbersome. I think you meant to ask if anyone here likes Megadeth.

2-1B
02-18-2003, 01:09 AM
I like some Megadeth. SOME.

Seven Mary Three? Ugh, they're alright but I saw them open several shows (in a short time frame) a few years ago and I couldn't handle much of them . . .

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2003, 01:19 AM
Only some? Rust in Peace is a great album. Good heavy metal. I'm also partial to Countdown to Extinction and Cryptic Writings. Peace Sells always goes down well with me. Then there's A Tout Le Monde off of Youthanasia, also a favorite of mine. Of course all of their non album stuff is great, like the Black Sabbath tribute songs. No More Mr. Nice Guy is a good cover, gotta show the love for 99 Ways To Die, too. I know I'm supposed to hate them, but they're too good to hate. Now most of that glam rock and power metal I have no problem hating. Like James says, I didn't come here to see spandex, eye makeup, and the words ooh baby in every song.

mabudonicus
02-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I thought everyone liked megadeth.... musically they're totally awesome.... them and Anthrax, both for the first few albums at least... lots of speed, well composed tunes with lots o' parts... CLASSIC metal.... I like everything up to Youthanasia a lot, that song "High speed dirt" just kills me... "mechanix" is a pretty good song, too, but it kinda sounds like some other song:D
Yeah, they ruled in the day..... my copies of the first few never had any labels, though, so I'm not real sure what the songs I like are, the first 5 or so are pretty much all aces in my metal book

Exhaust Port
02-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Musically Megadeth is very talented but I can't stand Dave's signing voice. So I say no to Megadeth. I also saw them once in concert and they put on one of the worst performances I'd ever seen.

El Chuxter
02-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Megadeth can be boring, but when they're good, they're awesome! Anthrax is the same way to me.

I love Whitesnake and the Scorpions. Has anyone else here heard the Scorps' techno-influenced album Eye II Eye? That is one of my favorite CDs ever, and I hate techno, especially with my metal!

I picked up the score to Ghosts of Mars over the weekend. Pretty neat CD with performances by Steve Vai and members of Anthrax and [Axl's New] Guns n Roses [Cover Band]. :D

VicRattlehead
02-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Firstly, Megadeth is all great stuff. Also listen to other Megadeth albums other than the obvious ones that everyone has heard. Such as Killing Is my Business...And Business Is Good, Youthanasia, Countdown To Extinction and Cryptic Writings. All songs are also well composed, not just a few. Also the song Mechanix sounds like The Four Horsemen from Metallica, seeing how Mustaine was in Metallica. Not to mention other guitar riffs in some Megadeth songs are also featured in Metallica songs. As for Cryptic Writings and Risk, they sound like that, because Mustaine wanted to try something new. Cryptic Writings did well, and after Risk, Megadeth went back to their normal style of music and created one of the best of all their albums, The World Needs A Hero. How can you even think of such a great band as boring at any given time? Mustaine's voice is also the best for this type of music. Not to mention how long they lasted. It's a shame that Mustaine messed his arm up.

Patient Zero
02-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Thought about posting this for a while so I might as well. Way, Way back in the day, I actually use to listen to Metallica and the like, but my musical tastes have changed considerably over time. Anywho, there is a band called Apoptygma Berzerk that does a cover of Fade To Black (I think that is what it is called) and it is absolutely an improvement to the original. I advise you to check it out. Apop actually does alot of great covers. Last week I heard their cover of Marilyn Manson's Coma White which is also worth checking out.

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Ah ha, Megadeth are good! They have that energy to their music that Metallica has always possessed. I also enjoy the lyrics, music that has a message with it. Mustaine is a good guy, even if in the earlier years he was very bitter. I like all of their stuff, and Risk contained a lot of good music. Who can forget Prince of Darkness? In my eyes, they are definitely one of the better bands to have come out of the 80's. They came out with one purpose, and I think they did that one thing well. I really hope to see Mustaine come back, because Megadeth is a band that you just cannot forget. Hangar 18, classic. I just wish these bands (Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, etc) could go on forever, because all of that music today they're calling rock, well, it's sad to see. The Hives and The Vines are two such examples of bad music. Please heal quick Mustaine.

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2003, 03:15 PM
I just had a listen to that Fade To Black cover, and I am left wondering what exactly happened to the song. The song is too industrial and electronic for me. Where's the energy of that Hammett lead. The vocals are fine, but the rest of the song has just been changed too much. But I guess if a band wants to pay homage to Metallica and that's the style they play, then I can't attack it. I just have too much rock in my blood to ever listen to it again.

El Chuxter
02-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Chux, while purchasing Kiss Unplugged on DVD (OOP in the US :frus: so I had to go overseas through eBay to get a foreign release of IDENTICAL quality :) )

Criminy jicket!! I just did a couple of searches to see how HTF the Kiss Unplugged DVD is. The cheapest I found was $130!!! :eek: Why does all this stuff go out of print? Shouldn't it clue in the morons at the record companies that when used copies are selling for more than double the original price, maybe it's an indication it should be re-released?

No, they just sit there, drooling, listening to their stinkin' Britney Spears CDs over and over, marvelling at how she's their ideal of music. It's a good thing Frank Zappa isn't alive to see this. Oh, wait, no it's not. I'd want to hear what he'd say about the state of the record industy (and, more importantly, ten years worth of new stuff). :cry:

Sorry, off subject, but I had to vent a little. :mad:

JediTricks
02-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Musically Megadeth is very talented but I can't stand Dave's signing voice. I dig Dave's voice on about half Megadeth's music, but then there's that other half where his sound just gets on my nerves. It's not that he's always different, it's like there's just a certain level where it becomes intolerable to me.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
Megadeth can be boring, but when they're good, they're awesome! Anthrax is the same way to me. Same here, and Rob Zombie too (ok, everything he does after White Zombie sucks IMO, but that's similar enough :D).

You know what really bugs me about "rock" today? Too often you'll get a really hard music part but really wimpy vocals & vice-versa, I hate that so much. Even Anthrax's later stuff falls into this a little. It's like a waste of material.

mabudonicus
02-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Hey, I thought we were talking about metal.... the hives and their ilk are "rawk" bands, who take that weird pride in not playing too well (like many punk bands, it's almost like the harder they stink, the better they are- no place in my virtuoso filled book of whirlwind fretmongers) :):):)
Anyways, JT- which anthrax are you talking about- post belladonna?? That would make sense, spreading the disease was awesome...
Vicrattlehead... I actually mentioned mechanix tongue-in-cheek.. it's the exact same song, and at the time there was some pretty funny back-and-forth about the tune... mustaine SWORE it was his, and so did metallica, only the lyrics really differ
Finally, I will add my vote to the "rawk sucks" pile.... at least it's a bit better than angst rock like creed with the big soaring sound and absolutely nothing going on musically (or at least nothing that has to DO with anything).. every time I hear the hives or vines or plants or the guys or whatever I feel sorry for veruca salt, that was the same style they did, just to soon to catch on (PS I almost liked v.salt in a guilty sort of way :()

The 'Xir
02-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Metallica sucks!!! :D Meggadeath is even worse!!! Now Tool, Tool is an amazing act! Saw them live last year, incredible! I have to admit though one of the best acts live that I've seen and that just puts on just a rockin' good show actually is Stone Temple Pilots, I know their not metal, but they just put on a solid performance!
Actually I have grown to like Metallica over the years, but it's been a hard pill to swallow. I've seen them 3 times live I think, first time at Woodstock '94; and I think that's what got me more into them, not to mention that my friend Tony is a die hard fan,and always blarring their music in my ear!!

2-1B
02-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Has Maynard James Keenan finally dropped his goofy "Smurf look" onstage? :rolleyes:

Easy on Anthrax! My favorite stuff is actually with John Bush; Belladonna never did anything for me . . .

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 01:45 PM
I am also glad to see others despise those same name groups like the Hives, Vines, etc. I still don't understand the techno/rock music, try as I might. Dave Mustaine, I believe the song is probably his. The guy's got his credits all over KEA, and a little on RTL. He also claims the song Motorbreath was stolen from Hugh by James. Eh, I hope that isn't true, because that song is fun.

I'm spending $170 today for that Summer Sanitarium tour this summer. Sometimes I wonder if I take my devotion too far.

Exhaust Port
02-19-2003, 01:53 PM
I've always wanted to see Tool in concert. I love their style of Industrial music and musical talent. My brother saw then years ago and said they were great. Some day.....

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Seat Locations Section 24AA Row 6 Tickets (32, 33)

Maybe I'll be able to throw something at Fred from this location when I see him this summer.

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2003, 12:57 AM
Well, I thought I would update the bass situation. Rob Trujillo will not be joining Metallica, since he will be busy with Ozzfest this summer, so Caesar you can kiss that dream goodbye.

That leaves Scott Reeder (Kyuss) and Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity, Down) as the only two bass players left for Metallica who have been confirmed for auditioning. Though there is speculation that Joey Vera and Mike Inez have also auditioned. More as the bass player situation becomes available.

Exhaust Port
02-20-2003, 05:29 AM
All those guys would make great additions to Metallica in my opinion. Seems like we can't lose.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Hey, I thought we were talking about metal....
Tycho was talking about hair bands. :D

Anyways, JT- which anthrax are you talking about- post belladonna?? Yeah, exactly! I saw Scott in a store by me a few weeks ago and I wanted to shake him and yell "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU GUYS THINKING?!?" but that might be considered rude. ;) Reminds me a little of Motley Crue post-Vince Neil... Hooligan's Holiday my aunt fanny!!!

BTW, after the crappy night I've had (bootup probs), it's soooo nice to have White Zombie and Megadeth CDs near by to help me hate the world. :happy:

2-1B
02-21-2003, 01:23 AM
Well, I thought I would update the bass situation. Rob Trujillo will not be joining Metallica, since he will be busy with Ozzfest this summer, so Caesar you can kiss that dream goodbye.

Dream? :D
Actually, my dream was that Ozzy would go out again this year with Ozzfest (I'm sure he'll stop playing the fest soon enough) so to hear that Trujillo will be busy with Ozzfest is great news!
He also played with Black Label Society last year, so that was fun.

JT, I love the old Anthrax stuff with Belladonna, I just don't like his voice. I am a fan of John Bush but even if I didn't like their stuff from "Sound of White Noise" and onward I would still love his vocals on all of those old songs. Whenever I've seen them live it's been with John and they absolutely smoke on the old stuff. :)

But then again, I liked (and own :) ) the self-titled Motley album so that gives you some perspective. Yeah, of course I like Vince and his "singing" but he's such a fool now, his skipping of almost entire VERSES in concert is really embarrassing and quite unprofessional.

2-1B
02-21-2003, 01:36 AM
I take it back, I wish Ozzy wasn't playing this year. :mad:

I just read this year's lineup:

Ozzy: wonderful! :) Trujillo, Wylde, and Bordin are all back. :)

Korn: :dead: almost as bad as watching Limp Bisquick :dead:

Marilyn Manson: :dead: overrated and not very creative. :dead: I've seen him live twice already and this can only get worse. :dead:

Disturbed: :dead: are you kidding me? :dead:

Chevelle: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

The only bright point is that Cradle of Filth are playing the second stage, too bad I won't get there early enough to see them. ;)

Ugh, if Metallica was playing near here I'd actually consider seeing them instead of Ozzfest.
Between Ozzy and Metallica, they're both carrying around a lot of dead weight. Why the hell can't they just tour together? :crazed:
It'll be like Puppets all over again. :)

2-1B
02-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Alright, I just made some negative comments about a few bands I have no taste for, but then I found out about the events of the Great white concert in Rhode Island, and I feel just sick reading this. :(

the whole club went up because they used too much pyro (allegedly) and it burned within minutes. 10 - 20 people are thought dead with many many injuries and guitarist Mark Kendall is currently unaccounted for. :(

Oh no . . .

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Because last time they did that, Ozzy got scared about following Metallica.

EDIT-Caesar, I'm sorry I reported your dream incorrectly, but I know deep inside you wanted to see Trujillo with Metallica. I'm not surprised to see that lineup at Ozzfest. They've had some weird ones lately. Crazy Town! Sorry, at least some of the Ozzfest bands sing and don't rap everything they say. I'd much rather see Chevelle in place of Limp Bizkit (have you heard the song off their website...absolute garbage).....What happened to the Whiskey A Go-Go shows with Saxon. 1982 please come back!

2-1B
02-21-2003, 02:32 AM
Yes, but that's when Metallica was on the rise and Ozzy was really stagnating.

NOW,
Ozzy is a parody of himself and Metallica is a parody of a metal band so it would be a PERFECT bill ! :crazed:

j/k mate :)

EDIT: Jaymz, no, you were accurate about "my dream" :D Honestly, if Trujillo were to join 'Tallica I would find it to be a cool decision, they are in need of a quality bass player and I think he would add to their already fun shows. :)
Man, it was just such a perfect way to bring up the Metallica/Ozzy tour of yesteryear. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 02:39 AM
I wish I was either European or a rich American who could afford to spend the summer months following Metallica around the festivals. Metallica and Iron Maiden on the same festival...........:cry:

Exhaust Port
02-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Ozzy: wonderful! :) Trujillo, Wylde, and Bordin are all back. :)

Korn: :dead: almost as bad as watching Limp Bisquick :dead:

Marilyn Manson: :dead: overrated and not very creative. :dead: I've seen him live twice already and this can only get worse. :dead:

Disturbed: :dead: are you kidding me? :dead:

Chevelle: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Awesome Caesar! Those are my thoughts exactly!

Exhaust Port
02-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Alright, I just made some negative comments about a few bands I have no taste for, but then I found out about the events of the Great white concert in Rhode Island, and I feel just sick reading this. :(

the whole club went up because they used too much pyro (allegedly) and it burned within minutes. 10 - 20 people are thought dead with many many injuries and guitarist Mark Kendall is currently unaccounted for. :(

Oh no . . .

It's only getting worse now with 65 people reported dead in the blaze. This is very, very sad.

:cry: :cry:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/21/deadly.nightclub.fire/index.html

El Chuxter
02-21-2003, 12:13 PM
65? Last I heard, it was 54. :cry:

[A moment of silence, as "Rock Me" plays softly in the background.]

The Overlord Returns
02-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Man...what is with the Hives hate......their the best rock and roll band out there right now....

with the possible exception of Division of laura Lee, or the white stripes.....

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 02:28 PM
ROBERT TRUJILLO To Join METALLICA? - Feb. 21, 2003

According to a Sony Records Germany newsletter, OZZY OSBOURNE bassist Robert Trujillo is the top candidate to fill the slot in METALLICA left vacant by the departure of Jason Newsted. Although presently unconfirmed, this report appears to have been given more credence after it was published on the official web site of the top German metal magazine Rock Hard (www.rockhard.de).

Trujillo, who was once a member of the influential metal/punk act SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, was previously believed to be out of the running for the METALLICA position after it was announced that he would be handling the bass duties during the upcoming U.S. dates by BLACK LABEL SOCIETY.

Maybe Trujillo will become the bass player. Man, I can only hope he's the man picked to take up the 4 string duties.

Rogue II
02-21-2003, 02:32 PM
The death toll at that Great White show is now 86 and is expected to go even higher.

I didn't even realize Great White were still together.

Tycho
02-21-2003, 09:27 PM
I edited my post that ironically wrote lyrics to a real Great White song that mocked this tragedy.

I knew nothing about the tragedy then, and strangely enough, did not see it reported in any piece of the San Diego newspaper, though I read daily first for political articles, and local politics / issues, and never even seem to have the time to get through a whole newspaper.

Also, could someone post links to articles online about this concert fire? I've seen nor read nothing.

Ignorance does breed insensitivity. I am ignorant about almost every detail about the circumstances.

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 09:27 PM
This poster reminds me of the old days I yearn for.

Exhaust Port
02-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Man, I watched a report on the Great White blaze on the news. What a nightmare for everyone there. Last number I heard on fatalities was 96 and they are expecting it to go higher. I think they said that there were less than 250 people at the show. What an awful thing.

I'm definately going to be more aware when going to smaller venues for concerts now. It's sad that it takes a tragedy to make a positive change.

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Did you see the footage of all the people stuck in the front door trying to get out? That would have been some scary s*** to be stuck in that door with the place on fire. That was the part that bothered me. I don't think I could even fathom what that would be like.

2-1B
02-21-2003, 11:26 PM
fair enough

-----------------------------------------------

Jaymz,
Metal Sludge has posted an account of someone who survived and the description he gave from the front door is one of sheer terror. :mad: Oh, and they gave the wrong name of the missing guitarist.

Overlord,
out of all the current bands that start with "The" and end with "s" (The Hives, Strokes, Vines, White Stripes, etc.) the only one I enjoy is The Donnas. :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-21-2003, 11:35 PM
I could tell just by the way they looked on the news all stuck in that door. It was really disturbing, because you'd think going to a small show like that you wouldn't have to worry about losing your life. Too many small club accidents happening lately. But what I saw on Newscenter here of that, I don't know....it just really creeped me out seeing all of them stuck in that door, literally on top of one another.

EDIT-Woah, I just read that George Dionne's account. Absolutely chilling when he describes how he had to stop trying to pull that person's arm to get them out and save his own life. Damn, that's so f***** up. I really am at a loss of words after reading it. I'd link to it, but not sure if that's against forum rules and stuff.

2-1B
02-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Jaymz,
I've often wanted to link to Sludge before, but given their rough language and certain pics of "former-Playmates-once-married-to-now-aging-rock-stars" I didn't think it would fly.

I think you even have to do an age-18 waiver form upon your first visit IIRC.

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 12:01 AM
Yeah, they have that I'm an adult warning page when you first enter. And there's a lot of non kid friendly and mother approved material on there.

I feel as though something is missing from this post of mine. ;)

Tycho
02-22-2003, 01:12 AM
Edit: Thanks to Lord_Malakite and JamesBobaFettfield I saw a lot of footage from this tragedy.

It was surely real. I had seen nothing before, and now it is more shocking than I'd ever imagined.

I deleted a previous post (which was of some of Great White's song lyrics) and appologize for my insensitivity that came from my ignorance of these events.

2-1B
02-22-2003, 04:03 AM
This poster reminds me of the old days I yearn for.

Wow, it's been a few years since W.A.S.P. headlined a tour of that magnitude. :p

I somewhat like W.A.S.P., can't say I'm a big fan but a few years ago when Blackie came back with the Helldorado CD I picked it up to give it a try - not bad! Nothing exceptional either, but a decent hard rock record. Very fun. Other than that, I'm only familiar with a handful of their own tunes (Wild Child probably being the biggest that I know of).

Wow, Armored Saint.
Well this is exactly why I was telling JT that I'm such a John Bush fan. I first learned about them 11 years ago or so when Hellraiser III came out and Armored Saint played the band assaulted by the Cenobites. Well, it was soon after that Bush left for Anthrax and I then got into the White Noise album. :)

And Metallica - how I remember so fondly that old logo. :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 04:19 AM
And I also miss these ticket prices....but I have no idea who The Rods are...

mabudonicus
02-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Yeah, TOR, I don't hate the "The ----s" bands, I just don't see the big deal, they would be alright if I was in a bar or something and there they were, that'd be great, but the way they're being touted as the "next big thing" is pretty goofy, since a LOT of other bands have done it right for a long time... I'm just jaded is all, I've seen a few "big new things" that formed a setback of epic proportions to the state of music.... like grunge, say... in our town, you better like creed if you wanna see a rock show at a local establishment...... No hate, just a sort of old-man-ey bitterness, I guess, since again virtuosity takes a backseat...
The footage from that "Great White" show was pretty scary.. I've been to a few upstairs shows... the place was way too low-ceilinged and wooden, in the tape it went up like a roman candle.. the footage from outside was right terrifying... I was never much of a great white fan, but it doesn't matter, what a horrible mess.

Oh, PS, the rods are connected to kiss in some way, can't recall, I have 2 of their albums, they were typical glam/hair rock/metal, not too good, sorta like Vinnie Vincent Invasion (and linked to them in some way, I think)

Darth Jax
02-22-2003, 06:28 PM
sorry to come late to the party. generally stick only to the SW discussions but this one hits too close to home. have been a fan since first hearing them after MOP. now for a few random thoughts:

audioslave are not exactly a new band - being made up of the members of rage against the machine and chris cornell (look back several pages)

music made nowdays pales in comparison to classic metallica

definitely know what i'll be doing on Aug. 1st. should be a good line-up. i can tolerate all of 'em cept bizkit.

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks for that info on who The Rods are, mabudon. I never heard of them before I got that picture.

It's good to see new blood participating in this discussion, Jax. The more the better.

Darth Jax
02-22-2003, 10:19 PM
since you started the discussion JBF what ranks as the best metallica song in your opinion. i vacillate frequently on that myself between 'fade to black' and 'battery'

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 10:43 PM
After I heard every Metallica song, I decided Fade To Black was my favorite song. I also love The Memory Remains. I know it is off Reload and people hate Reload, but that song always gets me banging.

Darth Jax
02-22-2003, 10:49 PM
i haven't been a big fan of any of the 'new' material releases since Justice. would still take any of my least fave Metallica offerings over most of the music churned out now.

2-1B
02-23-2003, 12:33 AM
ReLoad has really grown on me over time - at first I didn't much care for it but a few of those songs really pulled me in . . . SPECIFICALLY Devil's Dance. :happy:

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Yes, but what about Where The Wild Things Are? That has Newsted written all over it.

Darth Jax
02-23-2003, 09:37 AM
for St. Anger i'd enjoy a return to what made early Metallica so great, Lars trying to outpace the guitars. although with the new stuff i do enjoy 'mama said' because it is SO different.

mabudonicus
02-23-2003, 10:19 AM
No prob man... the only rods album title I recall right off is "Holier than Thou", which sonds more promising than the album itself...
I love WASP, they really rocked in that funny Alice Cooper kind of way, their whole schtick was a lot funnier than most gave them credit for, and their tunes rocked...
Just wanna throw another classic "lure" out to see if I get any bites..
Anyone here like "ANVIL" at all?? I've seen them a few times, and spoken to Lips at length a couple of times... they're based in the Toronto region, and have been around forever, MAN are they great.. they got pretty thrashy for a while, but they're back to real metal again now and it is great...
Oh, and a quick metal story, it won't fit anywhere else..
When I met Dio, I got him to sign a vinyl copy or "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow"... he squirmed when he saw the album, refused to write "we are all the man" on it, and signed his name "MAGIC...RONNIE JAMES DIO" with a little scroll on it.... I laugh every time I recall it... oh, and when I asked for a pic with him, he consented, but when I looked over, he was just smiling, no devil horns or nothing, so I said "where are they?" and he actually said "where's what??" and I laughed and said "sign of the HORNS, man!!" and he looked all serious and pressed the backwards horns right in my face, then turned and presented them, smiling as the shot was snapped.. that's the pic I put up here somewheres, that's why it looks like I'm laughing in it, cos I was, so hard I almost couldn't breathe..
Sorry.... back on topic, reload kinda grew on me through radio play, but I stoppped listening to rock radio and started listening all the time to Jazz... and I got rid of the reload infestation with Manowar, cleared it right up:D
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 03:39 PM
I miss hearing Megadeth on the radio. I heard their stuff back when they released Cryptic Writings, but then I never heard a single song through Risk or The World Needs A Hero, oh but you better believe they played Nickelback every hour. The only decent time to listen is when they do Damnation Alley, where they play heavier music. They once played Motorhead's Overkill, and I got excited.

Anvil, I saw their name on Blabbermouth before. I never heard of them, but I'll make you an offer mabudon. You offer me some song titles which you think are their best stuff, and I'll check out the music and report back to you. Seriously, just reommend it and I will listen.

Darth Jax
02-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Dave and his revolving door of bandmates makes for some good music. One of the things that make Metallica all the more remarkable is their longevity and the few changes in members they've had. Most member changes occurred before they broke and Jason is the only change since they've become part of the mainstream music market. I've heard of Anvil, as i've heard of most bands without hearing any of their stuff. What about Testament?

Tycho
02-23-2003, 04:44 PM
OK, I've been hitting the downloads. It's off the Metallica topic slightly, but:

Please list: Best songs by Tool

Best songs by AudioSlave

Any good songs by Convoy

Best songs by Saliva

Songs by Incubus that are more rock than psudo-punk

Best songs by Disturbed

and reflect: is it good to be into new music, or open to it? Or are we becoming like our parents who think that the Eagles, Doors, Lynard Skynard, Led Zepplin etc. is the last good rock ever recorded?

Or older brothers who think it was Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath etc?

I would say I'm from the Metallica, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, Anthrax, SkidRow, Whitesnake, Queensryche era

which I'd say was followed by Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Seven Mary Three, Stabbing Westward, Pearl Jam, that kind of stuff - though Metallica survived, though not unchanged.

Now we're kind of into Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Tool, Saliva, Disturbed hey-day (which isn't bad in my opinion, and better than the '90's era for sure! - save for that Metallica's '90's stuff was pretty good IMO -again, just not traditional Metallica. But it was really listenable and I kept my Load CD's always loaded.)

Rogue II
02-23-2003, 05:01 PM
My Tool favorites are: Undertow and pretty much the entire Lateralus album.

Anyone remember Saigon Kick?

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 05:11 PM
Tool-Sober, that song is my favorite by them. It just has this slow heaviness to it that I cannot get enough of.

Rogue II
02-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Yeah, Sober... that's the one I was thinking of Undertow is the album. I get that mixed up for some reason.

Darth Jax
02-23-2003, 07:25 PM
sure remember saigon kick - love is on the way.

check out always, all because of you, your disease, or click-click boom by saliva.

for disturbed i'd recommend: voices, stupify, down with the sickness.

i've always considered myself to be an ABC listener: anything but country.

audioslave only has the one disc at this time, check out any of it.l

while you're looking for tool songs i'd recommend unsung by helmet.

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 10:45 PM
I heard they identified the remains of Ty from Great White. That is all.

Tycho
02-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Really sad. It just left me in awe to learn about all that. To think I thought it was so impossible that you guys were kidding me...

That poor girl that was the cocktail waitress trying to earn her way to being a paralegal... the musician....the fans, probably all working people our age, just trying to have some fun as the weekend came up on them...

Sometimes I wish there was a Superman. How I'd want to be him and put all the fires out.

Tycho
02-24-2003, 12:22 AM
to get back to happier things:

Some of the tunes by Saliva I'm digging are:

Always (for sure!)
Musta Been Wrong
Your Disease

Not sure I've heard Click-Click Boom or All Because of You*

King of My World

and

Lackluster

are also songs I think you'll like.

*Probably have heard this one, but didn't realize it.

Saliva's a good band.

2-1B
02-24-2003, 12:46 AM
Tycho -

I've been REALLY trying to get into "new" bands but it's REALLY hard for me . . . and I know that within 10 years my concert days very well might be over for the most part.

One conversion is System of a Down, I never cared for them much including the first time I saw them at Ozzfest back in 97 or 98 (?) but last year they hooked me in and now I can enjoy their work.
Still, I can't stand to watch their guitarist play since onstage he looks too much like a BAD Angus Young impersonator. And I think his vocal backups suck. :)

And since we're talking Tool - even though I made fun of Maynard and his Smurf getup - I DO enjoy them most of the time.
But I certainly didn't care for their live show though . . . I was pretty bored by it. :(
Yet if you put in one of their albums, I'm happy.

I don't think we need to worry about getting off-topic in here . . . if we do, we'll just say the thread is based on the original newsletter named Metallica which was unfortunately stolen by the future band of the same name. ;) :crazed:

RIP Ty and all of the victims. 97 is now the toll. :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 03:38 AM
and I know that within 10 years my concert days very well might be over for the most part.

I'm fearing the day Metallica is officially done with. That's going to be bad for me. Yeah, they've been pretty low key for a few years now anyway, but to know that they're never going to record another album or tour again. I just hope I can find another band that's given me as much entertainment as the boys in black.

And Caesar, I know nothing outside of Tool's albums. What is this smurf thing with Maynard you keep referring to?

Rogue II
02-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Tycho - I was thinking, if you are getting into Tool, you should pick up A Perfect Circle while you are at it.

mabudonicus
02-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Anvil... early stuff - "mothra", "metal on metal", "666", "jackhammer", "march of the crabs", "motormount", then from the more recent stuff "blood on the ice", "forged in Fire", "sins of the flesh", "prowrestling", "ball of fire", "plenty of Power", "Killer Hill", "computer drone"
Pretty much anything you could find is worth a listen, they do real old school (nother tune, they have lots of songs about how great metal from the 80s was and could have become, on stage they always mention numerous classic acts and mony songs are sort of homages to certain artists) metal for the most part, with a wicked sense of humour (I dare not list some of the funniest tunes here, they're a bit too risque, you'll know them by title)
If you want to seek out one good collection, and get a feel for the live presentation, check out "through the past live", it's a single cd and has a real good mix of tunes on it...
Hope you can find and enjoy them, JBF

Exhaust Port
02-24-2003, 10:17 AM
I'm fearing the day Metallica is officially done with.

I too will hate to see Metallica hang it up for good but I also fear that they'll hang on a bit too long. Go out with a bang, not a whimper.

2-1B
02-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Trujillo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I will remember his days with Ozzy quite fondly. :)

The Overlord Returns
02-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Wait a minute.........

You mean, Metallica is still around??? AND, they are doing something other than crying in their mansions about the evil online file sharers who are stealing from them?

Wow....where have I been???? ;)

El Chuxter
02-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Tycho: look for Sober and Prison Sex by Tool. Those were their two "hits" off Undertow, and they're both cool songs. There was another off their latest album that got some radio play, but I don't remember the name. And having no Tool CD's, that's the extent of my help. :)

Audioslave: Cochise is probably their best track, though I like the whole CD. But if you want to get to it, I think Black Hole Sun and Guerilla Radio are two of their best songs, too. :D

RIP Great White. You were one of the best of the hair bands, and rather underrated. 'Tis a pity it had to end this way, that you will be remembered for tragedy rather than a handful of great songs. Another moment of silence for all the victims is called for. :cry:

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Trujillo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping someone would post that before me.

EDIT-I'm literally shaking here. I was afraid they'd pick someone I would hate, but seeing those pics of Trujillo jamming with Metallica......Oh Sweet, it's just too beautiful to describe. They all look so happy! And I'm going to see them live!

Rogue II
02-24-2003, 06:56 PM
They just announced the tickets for the show here in DC go on sale Sat. I won't be going, but, I live about a mile away from FedEx field, so with any luck, I may be able to hear it. We can hear the crowds at the Redskins games, but we couldn't hear the Rolling Stones concert back in Oct. I'm thinkin' that Metallica might be a little louder than the Stones.

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Ah ha! Dude, mabudon I love this Metal on Metal song! Keep on poundin'! I'm going to be checking out more of these guys.

Darth Jax
02-24-2003, 08:42 PM
got my tix today for show in Denver. Football stadiums aren't the best acoustically, but better than not being able to attend.

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 08:44 PM
How's that Denver show set up? Is it GA on the field with reserved seating in the stands?

Darth Jax
02-24-2003, 08:50 PM
set up as with the GA section on the field, stage at one end and all regular seats being reserved. being that i don't like standing all day and night went with reserved so i know i'll have a place to park my butt. and when you've seen metallica several times the enjoyment is more in hearing them play and less watching what occurs on stage.

James Boba Fettfield
02-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Yeah, that's the way Ohio Stadium is for this one. I agree with you about the GA. It just wouldn't work for me during an all day show because there is no way I would stand from 3 to midnight. I want the freedom to move about and not worry about my place during the show. So naturally, I bought my tickets for the lowest level in the seats. The GA tix and where I am seating are the same price, and the guy I'm going with convinced me not to pick GA. Looking back on it, I'm glad I didn't take GA, too.

Darth Jax
02-24-2003, 09:14 PM
i'm not sure i'll even attend the whole event. as i mentioned before i can take or leave the rest of it. best metallica show i saw was them by their lonesomes. no opening act, not that they really need anyone to get the crowd going. also meant they could play longer.

mabudonicus
02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Right on, JBF, glad you checked it out, most of their stuff is right along those lines, if you like it, you'll like the rest!!!
Anvil RULES, and they're really funny dudes to talk to as well

Exhaust Port
02-25-2003, 11:09 AM
When Metallica was touring on the Lollipalooza tour the GA method worked out great. My friend and I showed up half way through the concert and stood near the back. As each set ended people left and we moved up. Set after set we were closer and closer to the front. By the time Metallica got on stage we were front row center and we didn't have to fight for it. I could never afford those seats in a normal venue.

Looking back on that tour we saw both the Ramones and Soundgarden (we were about 100' back for the Ramones and 50' back for Soundgarden). Its awesome to have those memories. I'm sure I'll cherish them more and more as I get old and feeble.

James Boba Fettfield
02-25-2003, 01:17 PM
mabudon, I like how this guy from Anvil sings a lot. I don't know what it is, but his voice kicks ***.

mabudonicus
02-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Right on, again, I'm glad you like em..... you can check out their website, can't recall the url but a search on "Anvil official" will bring it up for you... the lead singer (Lips, can't recall his real name right off, something Reiner I think) will likely respond personally if you have anything to say or ask... they tour a bit sometimes, and all I'll say is that the current incarnation of the band is really good, the bassist and drummer rock and Lips, as both the voice and guitarist, is, as the current album is titled, "Still going Strong"
Sorry to appreciate your semi-conversion twice, I am just glad that you checked them out, they're a fairly obscure Canadian band that actually survived the meltdown in the late 80's...
You simply MUST see them live... I've never paid more than 8$ Canadian for admission, that's less than a dollar a tune usually, plus they tour with bands in the same genre who are not known at all, so it makes for a classic Metal experience.. check the site, man, it'll tell ya

Exhaust Port
02-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Did Metallica announce the new bass player?

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Yes, yes they did.
http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=710

I'll search out their official website today, mabudon. I'm surprised they're not more popular, I really am. They are a very good band from the music I have listened to. Thanks for suggesting this band, I really am getting into them.

Exhaust Port
02-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks JBF. That makes those previous posts a lot more clear to me. I thought Tujillo was something you just shout out like TEQUILLA!

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Here's some irony for you Trujillo/Newsted fans out there. I was browsing the Met Club boards and I read about an interview Jason had with radio station KSJO about his auditioning as a bassist for Ozzy, since Trujillo left to join up with Metallica.

He said that he was joining Ozzy's band, as well as Voivod playing at Ozzfest. He said Ozzy and Sharon called him on Sunday and asked him if he would like to be the new bassist. He also said Ozzy joked that if they just would have got together sooner they could have just done "a straight swap".

Well, then on blabbermouth, this interesting article appears:

Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted is set to audition for the slot in OZZY OSBOURNE's band left vacant by the recent departure of Robert Trujillo, a spokesperson for Newsted has confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET. Newsted, who is already confirmed to appear at this year's Ozzfest as a member of VOIVOD, reportedly got a call from the Osbourne camp asking him to come down and "jam" with the rest of the band, which presently includes drummer Mike Bordin (ex-FAITH NO MORE) and guitarist Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY). In related news, VOIVOD are in talks with SEPULTURA to embark on a month-long North American tour beginning on April 17 in Seattle. Exact dates and venues will be announced soon.

Irony, I love it.

Exhaust Port
02-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Ozzy sure does get the pick of the litter doesn't he?

James Boba Fettfield
02-26-2003, 11:01 PM
He's certainly getting a man who loves to perform.

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2003, 03:19 AM
Well, here's the updated tour list. The things in bold are the ticket sale dates. TYCHO, pay close attention to this list.

July 4 Detroit, MI Pontiac Silverdome On sale now
July 5 Toronto, Canada Skydome TBA
July 6 Foxboro, MA Gillette Stadium On sale now
July 11 Atlanta, GA Turner Field TBA
July 12 Philadelphia, PA Veterans Stadium March 2
July 13 Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl On sale now
July 18 Washington, D.C. Fed Ex Field March 1
July 19 Columbus, OH Ohio Stadium On sale now
July 20 Montreal, Canada Parc Jean Drapeau March 1
July 25 St. Louis, MO Edward Jones Dome On sale now
July 26 Chicago, IL Hawthrone Racetrack March 1
July 27 Minneapolis, MN Metrodome On sale now
Aug 1 Denver, CO Invesco Field On sale now
Aug 2 Houston TX Reliant Stadium March 1
Aug 3 Irving TX Texas Stadium On sale now
Aug 7 Seattle, WA Seahawk Stadium March 1
Aug 9 Los Angeles, CA LA Coliseum March 2

New York and San Francisco are still unannounced for dates and venues.

Oh, and mabudon, I think I found that official Anvil site. I didn't know those guys were older. Well, one of them looked a lot older. I liked the bald one with the Motorhead shirt on.

2-1B
02-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Newsted at Ozzfest ?

WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2003, 11:32 PM
So "Jasonic" has sold you on going to Ozzfest?

2-1B
02-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Nah, I'll still go for the sole reason of seeing Ozzy. I'm excited about the Newsted possibility because I think he's awesome and I'd love to see him with Zakk, Bordin, and of course Ozzy. :)

Oh, I noticed a query a few pages back asking about the "smurf" thing re: Tool. Well, the only time I saw them in concert, Maynard came out shirtless and he was painted completely blue, including his head. It looked ridiculous, and reminded me of a Smurf. :)

That was almost 6 years ago, and awhile after that I saw pics of him with a black/white paint scheme, so I know he varies it up.

To me, nothing will ever surpass the goofiness of Wes Borland and his gimmicks. Well, maybe Slipknot. ;)
Unless the name of your band is Kiss or GWAR, I don't want to see you in costumes. :crazed:

Yes, that goes for Mudvayne too . . . as I read in a post on another site, "If I wanted to see people making fools of themselves on stage dressed as Darth Maul, I'd go to a Star Wars convention." :D

Actually, I don't mind costumes or makeup - I just really despise Slipknot and Limp Bizkit. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2003, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't call it a possibility anymore. It looks to be definite that Ozzy is going to let him play the bass. Jason pulling the double duties on this one, good to see him performing.

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Good to see the four horsemen practicing again. Awwwww

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2003, 03:00 AM
Hey mabudon, you were right. Lips did respond to my e-mail.

"Hi Brian, I'm glad to hear that you're a new fan!!! We have many albums with great stuff on them going back to the early 80's. I personally like the newer stuff but then again I'm not the one who is buying the albums!!!!! If you want any of the newer cd's we have them for sale, for 15 Canadian dollars including postage. This is a big savings and most of it would be next to impossible to find anywhere else. If you go on our website www.anvilmetal.tk you will find the address and who to make payment to. Thanks for your kind words.....LIPS(ANVIL)"

These guys should have more fans, the way they seem to be so dedicated to the music. Thanks again for recommending them to me.

Exhaust Port
02-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Mushroomhead is a local band from Cleveland that does the costume thing. I saw them in concert a few years ago and they're pretty good and I didn't mind the costumes. What I thought was downright goofy was some of the fans dressing up.

Another metal concert phenomenon is the lack of attractive women who attend. Ever since the fad of 80's big hair bands left the women left with them. Metallica can draw a larger amount but only because of their popularity. Going to a COC, Sepultura, Pantera concert and there only seems to be a couple token girls walking around in leather. WE NEED MORE.

James Boba Fettfield
02-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Well, you list 3 bands that I just don't see appealing to a female audience. Pantera, well, you probably won't be seeing anyone at their shows anymore since they're pretty much done with. Never saw Sepultura in concert, and I don't think COC is a big enough band to draw the hot ladies.

Exhaust Port
03-01-2003, 12:48 AM
I saw Seputura on their Chaos A.D. tour when they opened up for Pantera. Absolutely amazing band. Of course they have a new lead singer so I can't vouch for the new line up. Of course Soulfly is as good as the orginal Sepultura in my opinion.

I don't think its necessarily the size of the band that dictates the number of attractive women, it's the music. Metal just doesn't have the same draw as it did years ago. Women are more interested in a band that they think are HOT than sound good. Lets face it, most guys in Metal now a days aren't going to win any pagents. There are the freak pretty boy "metal" bands like Creed :rolleyes: that seem to get the women to attend concerts.

It must be a guy thing but 99.9% of the women out there don't care for Metal. I can't even remember the last time I heard a women playing metal on the radio/CD player anywhere.

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah, it will never be like the old days again.

mabudonicus
03-01-2003, 11:27 AM
You wanna see girls at a show?? Go see Dio next time he comes, I don't get exactly why, but there's always tons of ladies there to see the little sixty year old guy......
I actually don't lament, my girlfriend always comes to shows with me, and she's the hottest girl wherever she goes:):)!!!

Rogue II
03-01-2003, 04:38 PM
DC 101 interviewed Lars yesterday. I didn't hear the whole thing, but he talked mostly about jamming with the new guy, the new album, and how they want to blow $#!+ up on the new tour.

He did say the would have all sorts of fire marshalls and safety around for their pyrotechnics.

This new album is aparently faster than the past few albums, but not exactly a return to the "old days."

I tried to find a link to the interview, but they didn't put it on their website yet. If I find it, I'll post it.

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2003, 04:55 PM
The interview he did with a Seattle station, he said most of the songs were 7 to 8 minutes long, the songs sounded like their older stuff, but it was still them moving forward musically, they are about 3 weeks from finishing the album, they'll be in Europe for a few weeks for some unknown reason, and that the album could come out a week or two earlier than the date of June 10th.

Exhaust Port
03-01-2003, 07:36 PM
7-8 minute songs? Sounds like ...And Justice for All. Bring it on!!

Rogue II
03-01-2003, 09:14 PM
The album is supposed to be 70 minutes long.

James Boba Fettfield
03-01-2003, 09:29 PM
http://www.kisw.com/real/022503_lars/022503_lars.ram

I found it again. That's the Seattle interview Lars did.

Darth Jax
03-01-2003, 10:44 PM
i'm all for longer songs. bring back the glory days of metal.

Exhaust Port
03-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Minus the hair.

mabudonicus
03-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Hey, what's wrong with the hair?? I find that I could never bang my head correctly til I grew long hair, it just helps to make you that much cooler......
Except when I ride my bike and rock at the same time, and I end up with one big dreadlock and have to get Jedielf to comb it out while I complain, then it's less cool...
Anyways, I would love it if the new album refreshed my interest in Metallica, and from what's been said here so far, it just might do the trick..
It wouldn't surprise me, as Real Metal has been mounting a comeback in Europe over the last few years, it seems to be catching on here again, we can only hope.... just as long as joke-metal and rap-metal (all nu metal, really) gets shown to be the impostor that it is, I hate when I tell someone I like metal and they say "oh.. do you like KORN?" cause right away I have to educate em, and then things just go downhill from there...

Exhaust Port
03-02-2003, 10:22 PM
That's the biggest problem facing any metal comeback. The MTV's of the world say metal never left and quote bands such as Korn, Limp Biscuit ;), Creed as examples. I find all this metal rather bland. Sure when they first hit they were fairly unique but they were quickly followed imitations. It got only worse when the orginal bands started imitating themselves.

Korn should just put new artwork on their first album and resell that rather than bothering coming out with any "new" albums. One idea run into the ground....time to try something new.

mabudonicus
03-03-2003, 11:26 AM
ROFL, ExP!! I am surprised that many bands don't do that these days, just change the titles, add a bonus track, change the cover, and maybe change the effects in the mix, then re-release the same album once every 2 years.. britney or christina should be able to pull such a thing off.....
Or even better, maybe it's time for a supergroup???
The guitars of Korn, vocals of creed, the costumes of limp bizkit, the "worldview" of Staind, and the marketing savvy of POD... what a potent blend!!!

Rogue II
03-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Speaking of Heavy metal making a comeback, Rob Halford may rejoin Judas Priest.

Does anyone else get VH-1 Classic? They have a show called Metal Mania. Today they played videos from Twisted Sister, White Snake, Warrant, Lita Ford, Judas Priest, and Ratt. There were more, but I missed them. It was just like being in 1989 again.

James Boba Fettfield
03-04-2003, 08:40 AM
http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=720

If you go there, scroll down, and click on the link for the video you can see Metallica with Trujillo in the studio practicing on Battery, Master of Puppets, and a little bit of a song off St. Anger. It doesn't sound like DK Roll or the other new song they had in a video, but I'd thought I share that video for whoever wants to see/hear it.

Exhaust Port
03-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for sharing. They're looking pretty good.

mabudonicus
03-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Oooohhh, Halford with Priest again?? That would be pretty cool, no doubt, since priest and halford both seem more like half bands separately, I've seen both a few times, and have all the "solo" releases.. Priest are one of my top 10 for sure... MAN would that be cool... way better than DIO rejoining Sabbath AGAIN (who knows, could happen:D )

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Speaking of Heavy metal making a comeback, Rob Halford may rejoin Judas Priest. A friend of my mom's was guitarist for Halford (as well as writing some of the tunes on the latest album, IIRC) for the last 2 years or so, he just recently quit to do something else (uh... Pantera I think, but don't quote me on that). Anyway, Halford just came back from a almost-completely non-US tour where they did some pretty big shows. I would not be surprised if Halford rejoined Priest, but I would be surprised if he didn't also continue to concentrate on his solo stuff.

Exhaust Port
03-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Pantera? I can't see Dimebag leaving anytime soon. Perhaps its for one of the side projects of the Pantera bandmembers.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Pantera? I can't see Dimebag leaving anytime soon. Perhaps its for one of the side projects of the Pantera bandmembers. Actually, rumor has it that Pantera is splitting up, but whether that's accurate or not, you are correct about what I said (though I did warn you not to quote me on that ;)). My mom's friend is lead vocals for that side-project, New Found Power, alongside Pantera alums Dimebag Darrell (guitar) and Vinnie Paul (drums).

James Boba Fettfield
03-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Pantera are kind of on a hiatus right now. There's NFP with Vinnie and Dime, then you have Down still going strong. At their messageboards it doesn't look like much is happening with Pantera, but who knows...

EDIT-I left out Phil's name with Down.

2-1B
03-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Then what the heck is Rex doing ?

I snagged one of his picks at a show, that was neat. :)

edit: it was one of Dime's picks because it has his name on it, but Rex threw it. :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Rex is at home.

2-1B
03-05-2003, 12:17 AM
I figured he was overseeing operations at the Cathouse. ;)

Exhaust Port
03-05-2003, 12:34 AM
I heard an interview clip the other day with Phil and he said that Pantera is definately not broken up and are anticipating getting into the studio to start the next album. Most likely once the Down touring stops that everyone will get back together. There was also an interview with Dimebag in a guitar magazine where he said the same thing. They're not broken up, their all doing so side project to keep themselves busy and they'll be back in the studio soon enough. No mention of Rex.

That reminds me of a story. Right after Far Beyond Driven came out I went to a Meet and Greet with Pantera at a Cleveland music store. After waiting about an hour I made it to the table where they all were. The guys were real nice and shaking everyones hands, thanking them for coming and everything. They each took turns signing whatever you brought in. So I made it through the first 3 band members and came to Rex. I slid my CD in front of him and he was shocked. :eek: I got this feeling that most people after they got Dimebag's signature were so pumped they turned and left forgetting that the guy on the end was in the band. I kind of felt sorry for him as he sat there with his arms crossed watching fans just pass him by. Oh well, I made sure to get all their signatures and get a chance to meet them all. Just goes to show where the bass player stands on the hierarchy of musicians....somewhere around janitor. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
03-05-2003, 12:48 AM
So I made it through the first 3 band members and came to Rex. I slid my CD in front of him and he was shocked.

Oh, I thought Rex was shocked because you might have called him Rexx Rocker and asked him to sign a cd of "Metal Magic." Shameful.

Exhaust Port
03-05-2003, 10:27 AM
I was Soooooo tempted to have them sign my Projects in the Jungle or I am the Night CD's. "He guys, why don't you every play any of the stuff written by Terrence Lee?" I didn't feel like getting the crap kicked out of me so I played it safe. :)

Onward We Rock!

Hungry and hunting
Passion and fire
We're burning
Hot on the heels of desire
Strength and suspicion
Armored with steel
Ready for action
Tonite we're out for the kill!

ONWARD WE ROCK!
Straight to the top
ONWARD WE ROCK!
Straight to the top

Torture and trial
Under the gun
Wheels turnin'
Burnin' to be No. 1
Dangerous warning
Backs to the wall
Smell the sweat
The Pain, the thrill of it all!!

ONWARD WE ROCK!
Straight to the top
ONWARD WE ROCK!
Straight to the top

CHORUS

Well, with amazing :crazed: lyrics like that, how could they not rock!!! :D

El Chuxter
03-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Oh, I thought Rex was shocked because you might have called him Rexx Rocker and asked him to sign a cd of "Metal Magic." Shameful.

I take it that's one of these near-mythical hair metal albums Pantera put out before Cowboys from Hell?

I was flipping through the radio yesterday on the way home and caught an annoying DJ on an alternative rock station. Somehow AC-DC had come up and he said:
"AC-DC. That kind of music is stupid. It's just so outdated and boring. Nobody listens to that garbage anymore. Them and Def Leppard and Guns n Roses, they just suck. Here's some music that doesn't suck, by Nirvana."

Man, I was so irritated by the moron DJ that I couldn't even listen to "All Apologies," which I normally like. Funniest thing is, one of the staples of this radio station happens to be Metallica.

Exhaust Port
03-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Pantera first albums were "Metal Magic," "Projects in the Jungle" and "I am the Night." Their orginal lead signer was a Terrance Lee. It's craptacular.

James Boba Fettfield
03-05-2003, 10:24 PM
What radio station is that? They got a website I can visit and verbally assault?

James Boba Fettfield
03-10-2003, 03:54 PM
News came in today about Metallica and their 20th Anniversary (actually it's their 22nd, but oh well) and what Mtv plans to do to celebrate them and their career. I'm not sure if anyone remembers last year's episode of this show, but it was Aerosmith who was the icon of 2002, and before them it was Janet Jackson. It'll be nice to see, anyway here it is.

mtvICON: Metallica will tape before a live audience in Los Angeles on May 3rd, and will premiere on MTV on May 6th from 9:00-10:30pm ET/PT. The special program will feature performances and testimonials from artists and celebrities who have been influenced by the band, their music, and their videos. For the finale, Metallica will take the stage for a show-stopping set, marking the band's debut television performance with their new bass player Rob Trujillo. A full list of talent will be announced shortly.

mtvICON is meant to commemorate musical artists for their cumulative contributions and impact spanning their entire career. For more information on mtvICON, and to enter the mtvICON Ultimate Fan Contest, fans can log on to MTV.com.

Exhaust Port
03-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Man, I'm there.

2-1B
03-11-2003, 12:48 AM
I was just watching my tape of Aerosmith Icon this past weekend, Metallica was there (sans Jason) and it was shortly after Jaymz got out of rehab.

All 3 of them gave a little tribute to the 'Smith, Jaymz was just teriffic ! As for Lars and Kirk . . . well those guys shouldn't speak in public. :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Did you notice the writing on Hetfield's hand during that appearance?

I remember when I saw Hetfield for that show, he looked absolutely different from the last time I saw him on SS2000. But at least he fixed that hair finally since his Icon appearance, oy vey.

2-1B
03-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Yep,
he was like a schoolboy with his notes, his hair, and those funky glasses. :D

Oh, completely off topic - I am so excited to learn that Steven Tyler did the induction for AC/DC tonight and sang "You Shook Me . . . " at the end. I can't wait for that to air ! :happy:

James Boba Fettfield
03-13-2003, 07:34 AM
If you head on over to http://www.allmetallica.com/multimedia/sounds.shtml and scroll down to the section called Samples, you will see an mp3 called St. Anger Studio Mix. I just got done listening to it, and it's a compiliation of all the sounds from the new album that Metallica has showcased in their studio diary videos and from a live show they did last year. I thought I'd just share this for those who may be wondering what the album's sounds might be like. Just know the clip only lasts about 1.5 minutes and it's at least 3 different songs, one of them being DK Rolls and what many people speculate to be the title track, St. Anger. So enjoy.

JediTricks
03-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Hmm, MP3s of Metallica music that hasn't even been released yet... why does that seem so familiar? :D

Exhaust Port
03-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Um.......? All the song clips have already been publically release if you read what JBF wrote. Its a compilation of sound clips from their studio diary videos and a live show.

Sounds all right. I'm not going to make any final judgement until I have the disc spinning in my player.

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that sample thing is 100% legal and Metallica approved.

On another note, today marks the last performance of Rob Trujillo with Ozzy. As for Ozzy's bass situation, it was confirmed (a week ago or so) that Jason Newsted will be the official bass player for him. Jason's inaugural performance with Ozzy will be June 1st.

James Hetfield recently spoke out about the situation of St. Anger and the recording process, and he said that the album must be done in 3 weeks. What does he mean by done? Well, it must be completely done, since Bob Rock has already started the mixing process.

The current lineup of an as of yet unnamed band consisting of members Slash, Matt Sorum, Izzy Stradlin, and Duff McKagan have announced that they are indeed looking for a vocalist. Slash recently put to rest rumors that this almost identical Guns N Roses lineup are going to seek their singer through a television contest in conjuction with VH1. Sorry guys, but there won't be any reality tv show searching for their Axl replacement. Instead they will seek out their vocalist the old fashioned way. Once they get a vocalist, they should have no trouble putting out an album, since the group claims they have more than 50 songs written. One can only wonder if they'll be able to beat Axl's poser band out of the gates with Chinese Democracy.

And file this last bit on information under sad but true, but Lars Ulrich recently revealed in a radio interview that he asked Eminem and Godsmack to join them on their summer tour, but both musical acts declined the invite. Too bad, I say.

El Chuxter
03-14-2003, 12:14 PM
The current lineup of an as of yet unnamed band consisting of members Slash, Matt Sorum, Izzy Stradlin, and Duff McKagan have announced that they are indeed looking for a vocalist.

Further proof of the existence of a benign higher power!! :D Seriously, though, Izzy is a very capable vocalist, and Duff's not too bad. Plus, there's Gilby, who would make it a true "Guns Sans Rose" band and is an excellent guitar-slinger and singer in his own right. Maybe too much friction between him and Izzy, though. I suppose, if forced to choose between Izzy and Gilby, Izzy would win. If anyone's not picked up his second solo album, which is called 117, it gets my highest recommendation. More Stones than metal, but a true classic.

Exhaust Port
03-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Don't tell me Godsmack thinks they're too good for a Metallica tour?:rolleyes:

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Lars said Godsmack wanted to do their own tour thing. Something about them not wanting to be the 5th band on the bill. Lars then said when they used to be in that position in their early days, that they didn't care what place on the billing they were since they knew they could perform better than any of the other acts. Lars says he doesn't necessarily agree with the bands on that issue, but he respects them for feeling that way.

I take that as Godsmack and Eminem saying they are too big to tour under Metallica on this summer tour.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
Further proof of the existence of a benign higher power!!

Ha ha, and now I am going to tell you that Sebastian Bach is supposed to be the forerunner for the vocalist for "The Project." I'm sorry, I should have said that earlier. Either you love Mr. Bach, or you hate him.

Originally said by Sebastian Bach
They're trying out everybody in the world and I'm just one of them. But on the basis of those five songs, they gave me another 14 songs that I'm writing to. I can sing the new songs, but I know for a fact I could tear up the old Guns 'n Roses songs.

Sebastian Bach=Axl Rose's Replacement? (http://www.nola.com/entertainment/t-p/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1047365703275196.xml)

scruffziller
03-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Yea and James is the only one not growing his hair out.....strange..

Hey James BF.....

Do you think, Megadeth and Metallica still have some bad blood between them??

El Chuxter
03-14-2003, 02:16 PM
I could definitely see the former Gunners jamming with Sebastian Bach. I think GNR is finally being seen as legit, but I've always thought the designation of Skid Row as a hair band was unfair. Slave to the Grind is an awesome album, and Sebastian is one of the few who could actually fill Young Sane Axl's shoes. Not even Old Insane Axl can do that!

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Nope scruffy, I don't believe they have any bad blood between themselves. It wasn't Megadeth that would have any problems, but just Mustaine. Before he hurt himself and Megadeth stopped, Mustaine actually posted a message at Metallica's official internet message board. His message was a proposal about Metallica and Megadeth getting together to do something. He proposed maybe Lars and James could get together with Dave and David and they could do some live stuff. Hetfield and company never made an official response to Dave's remarks. In all honesty, I don't think either band holds anything against the other, though. There was an interview I read where Dave pretty much says he has nothing against them anymore. Metallica, on the other hand, has never made any official statement or comments, but they rarely do any talking about other bands. Well, they did a little in the Playboy article. I believe the only bad blood between those two bands came from Dave Mustaine solely, but I think from the late 1990's on he stopped publicly saying things. Though who knows how he feels still about it. The guy missed out on being in one of the biggest bands ever, and who can blame him for saying ****.

As for James being the only one not growing his hair out, not true anymore. Lars got a hair cut, complete with the blonde bleaching. That leaves Kirk and Rob as the long hair guys.

Sebastian Bach.....I really don't mind him being in "The Project." Fans of the band are split like 50/50 on the issue, but I think Slash and co. will make the best choice regarding what happens with that band. If the members of Rage could find success with Cornell, why can't they find success with Sebastian? I am all for them picking him.

Oh, and scruffy, here's a picture of Lars and Dave during happy time. Too bad James isn't in that picture, since those are the two who probably have the hard feelings against each other.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Um.......? All the song clips have already been publically release if you read what JBF wrote. Its a compilation of sound clips from their studio diary videos and a live show.

Sounds all right. I'm not going to make any final judgement until I have the disc spinning in my player. It was a JOKE!!! Yeesh.

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 07:58 PM
I was looking over my local station's site and found this news about Axl's band.

Rockers Guns N' Roses have been left fuming after The Offspring spoofed the album they've yet to finish after eight years' work.

The rockers still haven't come out with their album "Chinese Democrazy."

The painfully-delayed arrival has become such a joke, Los Angeles rockers The Offspring decided it would be funny to come out with their own album called "Chinese Democrazy (You Snooze You Lose)."

But Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose doesn't find the idea even slightly amusing - his lawyers have sent the band a cease-and-desist letter just in case they were serious about going through with their plans.

Guns N' Roses & Offspring Face Off (http://www.webn.com/script/headline_newsmanager.php?id=128931&pagecontent=musicnewsrockactive)

Ha ha, stupid Axl.

El Chuxter
03-14-2003, 08:07 PM
I was thinking the real GNR should beat him to the punch with an album called Chinese Democracy. Sort of like Suge Knight scooped Dr Dre's then-forthcoming 1999 album (which was to be called Chronic 2000) by releasing a crappy compilation of his freshly-scraped-from-the-pavement "talent" under the same name. Dre didn't have a legal leg to stand on, so I doubt Axl will, either. :happy:

scruffziller
03-15-2003, 09:19 AM
I have been asking around that question of Metallica and Megadeth, And I talked to one guy who says from what he knows, there IS major friction.

James Boba Fettfield
03-15-2003, 10:10 AM
What side does he say the friction is coming from? Is it coming from Metallica or Megadeth? Al, David, Jimmy, Gar, Chris, Nick, etc. never had reason to hate Metallica. The same can be said for Cliff, Jason, and Kirk. The friction would only come from Lars, James, or Dave.

Dave Mustaine said in 2001

I like Metallica, I never disliked them and I had a really hard time, for a very long time with what had taken place with me being asked to leave the band because of the way I was asked to leave the band. I never stopped liking those guys. I was very bitter because I had gotten fired.

Yeah because it would be great for the Heavy Metal community. I think if the three of us got back together, obviously there would have to be a bass player and if it could David Ellefson it would be great because both bands would benefit from it. It would have a lot of people in both bands who don't like the other band stop saying **** about each other; because a lot of Metallica fans don't like Megadeth - a lot of them don't and some of them do - and Megadeth fans don't like Metallica - a lot of them don't and some of them do. I think that if the four of us got together we'd help both bands tremendously. It would mostly help us than them because they don't really need our help. We could benefit from doing something like that.

Dave Interview (http://megadeth.rockmetal.art.pl/interviews_metaltemple2001.html)

Lars Ulrich said he wouldn't mind teaming up with Dave Mustaine to do something like this.
James Hetfield, the man who had friction with Mustaine ever since the dog incident, is the one who has not said much about the whole issue. Who knows how he really feels, but he doesn't say anything publicly about Mustaine. Dave did for a long time, just read any of his early interviews and you can see the bitterness he had for Metallica. Like I said though, the only people who know how they feel are the men involved themselves, but as for what the public sees, the friction created anymore is by fans of each band, not from the band's themselves.

scruffziller
03-15-2003, 12:12 PM
That makes more sense. I think he was meaning from both sides.

Are you going to Summer Sanitarium??

Do you know what their song set is going to be???

James Boba Fettfield
03-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing them this summer.

Don't know what the set list will be though. I just hope to hear So What. Pure bliss.

Tycho
03-15-2003, 01:08 PM
OK, a few things to say... Money got tight, as I'm waiting for a big check from a client. The reason I haven't gotten paid? I haven't had time to do a line-item bill. Today, that's getting done! (but there's no mail on Sunday!)

Thus, no tickets for the L.A. show yet.:cry: So this thread hurts until I can get my tickets. They are on row 58 I think now, according to my brother who was going to order for him, his girlfriend, and 2 for me and my date. (but going with only my brother struck me as a brighter idea, since neither of our ladies are that big on Metallica. So I told Nicole that she didn't have to go if she didn't want to, and all of the sudden she's a Linkin Park fan :rolleyes: (before the girls were only interested in Limp Bizcuit - do we have an emoticon that vomits? OK moving on...)

I love Linkin Park anyway, so that's cool. I can blast "Pushing Me A Way" and "One Step Closer" all the way up on the drive to L.A. The songs just took on more significant meaning....

As to Sebastian Bach playing GNR stuff? That's awesome! The old stuff won't sound the same, but it will sound great! I really dig Sebastian Bach's work, and Slave to the Grind was an awesome album, and Skid Row's hey-day. I was a big fan. I got to party with Sebastian Bach a couple years ago or so, following his split with Skid Row and I thought he was a very cool guy. I wasn't trying to meet him after the concert. I was trying to meet the girls. He knew what I was up to, and invited me along. :D He said I was a true student....

"Here.....I.......AM!
Close your eyes and I'll be Superman!"

It didn't get too crazy, (and we ate Coco Puffs without milk) but I met a girl I'm still casually friends with who went with me to see Queensryche's Q2K tour a while back. It reminds me that I haven't spoken to her in probably a year...wow. Time flies.

I was going to write about something else, but I forgot and time is flying now, so: onward and upward!

James Boba Fettfield
03-16-2003, 07:07 AM
There's a little news on that Icon show Mtv is doing. Sum41 has confirmed that they will be one of the bands playing tribute to Metallica. Also, for those in the California area who want to attend that Icon show, Seatfiller (http://www.seatfiller.com/seatfiller2/index.asp) have added the Icon show to their upcoming shows. They basically fill the seats for these type of shows. They have requirements, though, but it's good for the people who are selected to actually fill the seats. Well, more as I find it out.