PDA

View Full Version : Would you be interested in a Master Replica's Dejerik Chess Board?

Tycho
02-03-2003, 10:45 AM
Who would buy an entertainment console modeled directly after the Millennium Falcon's?

No an 8 foot tall Wookiee is not included, nor would you get "real holo-technology." But costs for certain sets could be rather pricey.

First, does the item interest you? Then let's discuss what it could entail: actual playability, with model pieces or special action figures made of all the holo-chess pieces, electronics for "you vs. the computer" play, (like electronic chess sets have been made in the past), and life-size scale or not? (we're talking about just the chess table, not the Millennium Falcon's acceleration seats from the crew lounge, too)

Make a consumer decision about this, not just "yeah that'd be so cool!" We are asking, 'but what would you buy?'

*at this stage we are not polling who wants pewter, another metal, mint silver statues, or poseable action figures of the Mantellian Savvrip, and in what color - but feel free to discuss that and if that is any influence on whether you would purchase this item.

Our sponsor is very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Kidhuman
02-03-2003, 12:10 PM
I would buy one if I could afford it. I would buy it if it was exactly like it was in the movie. The slamming of other characters on the board etc.

Rogue II
02-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Would I buy the acutual game board? No

Would I buy a Console or PC version? Yes.

bobafett07728
02-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I would definitely be interested in buying the actual game board. I think it could be done in movie size. Yeah. . . it would be a little pricey, but it would definitely be worthwhile. They could make the gamepieces action figure size. It would have to come with detailed instructions too. . . of course.

A console, or PC version, would be cool too but would lack the authenticity of the movie version. I'm not sure that they would be able to make an entire game strictly based on the Dejarik game itself. It would have to be an aspect of a game I think.

Tycho
02-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Strictly defined, "a console" is a base, or platform - it definitely does not mean a video game player in this particular case, as Master Replicas makes metallic, solid prop replicas.

The fact that they make F/X electronic lightsabers suggests that lighting and sound effects are within their pervue to look at, and since 'electronic battleship' is only slightly less sophisticated then electronic chess sets, it seems feasible that this could be more than a prop console, but an actual, playable board game - even vs. the computer (if you find the majority of the earth's population does not want to play Star Wars with you).

jedi master sal
02-03-2003, 01:14 PM
I'm for it if the price is right. There really isn't much to the table itself. The pieces, electronics and sound is where this detail is critical.

I would only buy it if:

Completely Movie Accurate

Affordable (For me that's around $150 or less)

Has ALL of the Dejarik figures. Even if these are not fully poseable (at least the "arms" of the figures should move) okay, but NOT STATUES! these do not have to 3 3/4 scale but at least to scale with each other (or again movie accurate)

Has electronic sounds and lights

These are just what is off the top of my head.

As to the materials it's made of, they should be somewhat sturdy as I'm sure that if this is "playable", I along with others would probably lean or put there arms/elbows on it.

Jerjerrod
02-03-2003, 01:23 PM
I'd rather buy a MR lightsaber or remote, over that table any day.
I want Vader's lightsaber. :crazed: :crazed:

bobafett07728
02-03-2003, 01:33 PM
I immediately thought of 'Electronic Battleship' as well. Player vs. Computer would be a vital option for the Dejerik table. It can, and should be done.:D

dr_evazan22
02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
As a once and future MR customer I voted "No".

Considerations-

- The size- if it were actual size, well, it wouldn't be HUGE, but still, I'm running out of room as it is

- The cost- I would picture this costing at least $500 for the table and all the pieces, add in the possibility of it being electronic

Now, I do think it would be very cool to have, as a SW collector. If it were just the round table top/gameboard, to help reduce the cost I might be more interested.

Another thing to consider is the game pieces: To be movie realistic, they'd have to be holo's, anything else would be one too many steps into the "real" world. I would want to see side by side photo's of prop and replica to see how accurate they were.

maybe have 2 offerings: just the game pieces (as statues, or more like action figures), and game pieces and board together.

What if MR teamed w/ hasbro to work together on this?

Tycho- please let MR know that in '04 I'd like to see Chewie's Bowcaster, and maybe Lando's Force Pike (or whatever its called) from Jabba's palace. And if they can do another lifesize Han in carbonite that would be sweet!

jedi-cpa
02-03-2003, 03:02 PM
are full of it!

You aren't gonna buy it, it is gonna cost an arm and a leg. I am beginning to think sir steve should begin to look for other advertisers here like Charles Schwab and the NASDAQ bacause if you all bought as much s you say you would buy you must all have millions in the bank.

Why doesn't sir steve offer the free real time streamer across the bottom of the main page.

How much money do you people have? Seriously!

red4
02-03-2003, 03:43 PM
This would be a very cool piece, but...

I wouldn't care for electronics (unless, of course, it was simple sound effects and lights on the table itself) only due to the fact that this would only add to an already expensive piece.

It doesn't need to be "playable", again the cost for R&D on creating a working version/game would be too high.

It doesn't try and mimic the hologram effect, I just don't think it would look believable.

I would love the table (possibly only the top by itself, to be placed on a pedestal, coffee table, etc., again due to the expense of materials and shipping).

I absolutely love the figures and would like to see them made as accurately as possible (again without hologram "effect"). Possibly resin cast, cold cast, etc.?

Maybe the table could be offered initially with 2-4 figures and the rest offered in a limited run (to be released at a later date).

I would pay between $400-$500 for this set, but regardless, please give the buyers ample time to recoup (a lot of props, especially high-end props, released at the same time is tough on the wallet).

Thank you, and regardless of the outcome it's exciting to be asked and involved in the process.

obi-dad
02-03-2003, 04:57 PM
I said "No" because I could not afford it. I think it would be cool, but my money would first go the the lightsabers. I passed on everyone made so far, but it hurt. I just don't have the cash after buying the 3 3/4" figures, deluxe figures, & vehicles (and I'm not even a completist). <-- subject of another poll.

Beast
02-03-2003, 05:22 PM
While the first thing that came to mind was, "Yeah, this would be cool.", saner heads prevaled shortly afterwards. If it was to scale, it would be incredibly expensive. Hell, they charge $250.00 for a Seeker Ball. I can't even fathom what this would be.

Master Replicas makes some nice stuff, but I think they should stick to stuff like lightsabers, weapons, and the like. They haven't even tapped some of the cooler things that they could do. Tusken Raider Gaderffi Stick, Biker Scout Pistol, etc. Their stuff is expensive, but it's pretty nice. :)

So no, I can't say that I would care to own one. It's not all that intresting visually. And I think the price range for it, would definatly be out of price range of most collectors. I don't really see any way that they could produce it to scale, and not have it be less then $1,000. :eek:

Now, if the poll was asking if we would like to see Hasbro produce the Dejerik monsters as a EU sub-line to the main Hasbro line, then I would be supportive to it. Especially if they were made as beasts, instead of mini-holo critters. A mantelien Savrip figure would be sweet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Ummm, JJB, were did you get those?? I think it would be cool to have the game set with figures in a smaller scale with a glass cover so you could use it as a end table. No function, just for looks.

Beast
02-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I forget where I got the picture, actually. I think it's from an old thread here on the forums. I tried to locate the thred, but couldn't find it. Luckily I had decided to save the image, because they looked so cool. Now these, I would love. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-03-2003, 06:33 PM
I'd love to see this, but there's no way I could afford it. This is something I'd be interested to go see if they had one on display at FAO or something. As for making it an actual game that still looks movie-accurate, that holds little interest for me.

Darth Cruel
02-03-2003, 11:06 PM
I would definitely buy it if I were not refraining at the time. And I would be MOST interested in some type of opaque, colored figures whether they were action figures OR some type of glass/plastic playing pieces.

BOTH would be the very most cool!

jedihunter25
02-03-2003, 11:26 PM
I will vote No- only because MR will probally charge $10,000 for it.

Jedi Master Silas
02-04-2003, 01:00 AM
I'd like to have one for sure but it would depend on the price and also on how detailed the set was.

skeeziks22
02-04-2003, 04:21 AM
I would be interested in the set if the pieces were done to scale with the 3 3/4" figures. The "holograph" plastic from the other holo figures should change though. Most of the holographs in the movies have color. How hard would it be to add some color to the translucent plastic?

NRPeace
02-04-2003, 09:37 AM
I definitely wouldn't buy this. I appreciate the work that MR does, but I think all of their stuff is just too expensive. There must be a way to make prop replicas cheaper. I wonder how much is licensing cost and how much is production cost. Until they find a way to make their replicas more affordable, I sure won't wont be buying any, especially a prop this big and involved.

187-Maul
02-04-2003, 10:22 AM
I also voted for no, since, as some others here said too, the price would be way too high
I would of course love a piece standing in my room, especially if it came with the whole table and when the game would be with real holographic monsters:D but only if I'd get it as s gift of course...:D

zeroplate
02-04-2003, 10:43 AM
i imagine the price for something like this would be out of control. there may be rules somewhere to how to play this made-up game, but i'm guessing it's not nearly as interesting as straight up chess due to the fact that it was designed to look good in a movie, not to play well as a game. i don't get into the MR stuff at all, and this seems like overkill to me.

jedi-cpa
02-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Why don't you get the playing pieces in waterford crystal?

Does anyone need tax services? Seriously, you folks must have tons of dough to be able to buy this stuff.

If you need a tax accountant write me. ntc31974@yahoo.com

Maybe I should advertise with Sir Steve.

blueswiz
02-04-2003, 12:42 PM
i think just the plain ol' table alone would go great in my living room. i could care less about the figures and electornics, i've got enough figures to worry about as it is.

SNAYSON
02-04-2003, 03:44 PM
no interest in it. this is definitly for the die hard fan. i'll just stick to the 3 3/4" figures

mtriv73
02-04-2003, 03:48 PM
I voted no. I think it's a great idea, but I really can't see myself spending more than $200 for even the nicest board game. Even if this were as low as $200 I would think twice about it. If they made a plastic "milton Bradley" version that sold for $20 I'd snap it up in a second.

LusiferSam
02-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I have little to no interest in a dejerik chess set. If there were any rules for the game I'd make my own.

Vortex
02-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Who would buy an entertainment console modeled directly after the Millennium Falcon's?

I voted no, but its more a heavy maybe.

[i] First, does the item interest you?[/B] To a small extent. I do know that what gets made will differ greatly than what I hoped or expected.

[i] Then let's discuss what it could entail: actual playability, with model pieces or special action figures made of all the holo-chess pieces, electronics for "you vs. the computer" play, (like electronic chess sets have been made in the past), and life-size scale or not? (we're talking about just the chess table, not the Millennium Falcon's acceleration seats from the crew lounge, too)[/B]

I would only go for it, if it was reasonably priced. The actual table could be plastic for all I care. I would be more interested in the dynamics of the thing. If it could get the pieces to move/slide across the table by magnets when you told a piece to move to a certain space. Or if it had the programming upgrade or something more refined than the old electronic stratego where you could battle two pices off without looking and the computer would register the winner with a tone and light. If they could incorporate something like the new simpson's voice chips or old com tech technology where they interacted differently with differnt pieces. If it had a variet of sound effects, easy control, and simple rules I would be interested.

If it was only a game board, a set of rules, and some pieces - no.
If it was all stationary, the pieces already inset, in a given pose from the movie, or just as a display piece - no.

I would only be interested if they could get sound, motion, and some button controls incorporated into it, and some cool pieces.

The pieces could be 3-3/4 plasitic figures, poseable or in action stance would be fine by me.

solo5745
02-05-2003, 11:09 PM
I would be interested in it but not through masters they would expect the price to be way out of affordability
now maybe if done through some one else and done as 33/4 figures as the chess pieces like the figures sort of
would be affordable and would make a good addition to the figure collection that most of us already have electronics would be ok the have already experimented with the sound chip technology though it could be improved on for this specific application

SirSteve
02-06-2003, 12:11 AM
What if you could buy the game pieces individually? Would that change your votes?

Tycho
02-06-2003, 02:53 AM
I would buy the figures separately for sure if they were poseable action figures. Master Replicas cannot make these, because Hasbro has an exclusive license. That's the first thing people responding to Steve's question might need to understand. (since this poll is about a Master Replica's potential product.

They do not have the license to do poseable action figures.

They can make them to the same scale as Hasbro's action figures. Could THAT influence your decision about buying them?

What kinds of materials are you interested in seeing be used:

plastic?
pewter?
metal with electroplated silver?
metal with electroplated gold?
rubber?
Glass? (stained glass?)

Those are realisticaly potential choices.

How would you want them painted? Holo-gram plastic style? Painted glass? Full-color paint schemes? etc.

Would you buy the chess board separately, and assemble this product if you collected the components like over a year or more (like folks here are collecting the 'supposed' entire 12" Jedi Council - or 3 3/4" ones, too for that matter- taking your time (because there's no other choice) but eventually completing the set.

And by the way, the rules are somewhat like a customizeable cardgame: certain characters like the Saavrip are the strongest, but other characters might be venamous, that can poison it, rather than defeat it in a brawl. Other characters might not be such good fighters, but might be immune to poisons, etc.

You have less pieces than traditional chess (I think - or R2 and Chewie had been playing late in the game when we rejoined the crew of the Falcon during the movie). But your strategies must be all the more careful, or you can lose in a heartbeat by playing the wrong characters on each other. - and instead of just being taken down, like in chess, characters can be wounded and penalized rounds until they recover - just like if real creatures were fighting - some might have the ability to wound a character, but might not be powerful enough to kill that character. Holo-chess also has role-playing-game similarities.

In any event, realistic-solid paint schemed characters the size of Hasbro figures, have diorama possiblities.

scruffziller
02-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Yes, if I had the money.

I actually made up a chess set once of SW figs.

JediTricks
02-07-2003, 04:49 PM
I don't think so, the game board with or without the holo characters would be what I am interested in.

Greyfolk
02-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey Josh,

What are the rules? I would buy a chess set with Dejerick figures. But the board itself is completely different. So if the game itself is playable and challenging I'd love to buy the game--if of course its not too pricey $150 or less. And I'd only buy it if the gameplay itself was awesome (I have my doubts--it takes decades to make a great game IMHO).

Or, again, if the pieces would equally correspond to a chess set, I'd buy the figures.