PDA

View Full Version : It's not you.....it's ME......

QLD
02-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone.

I know this is a parody article, but I found it surprisingly accurate, as well as funny.

Take a peek. :D

http://www.theonion.com/onion3904/nations_love_affair.html

stillakid
02-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Hey everyone.

I know this is a parody article, but I found it surprisingly accurate, as well as funny.

Take a peek. :D

http://www.theonion.com/onion3904/nations_love_affair.html

Parody? To wax poetically for a moment, I found that the article really cut to the heart of the matter through it's inventive and precise use of the dating metaphor. What better way to illustrate and explain the attraction and desire for this saga than by personifying it through a typical courtship ritual.

I have to give the Onion 2 thumbs wayyy up. Much better than Cats! I'm going to see it again and again. :D

Vortex
02-04-2003, 07:22 PM
I'm making a banner when I get home.

Save R2, down with Frodo!

Kidhuman
02-04-2003, 08:12 PM
I believe the article was ones opinion. I love the 2 movies so far. I can not wait for EP3.

LOTR is awesome in its own right. But the storylines are way different IMO. Like comparing apples and oranges.

JediTricks
02-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Stilla, are you sure that article wasn't a suggestion that fans are treating the SW saga too much as a give-and-take relationship rather than merely a series of films? I suppose one could say that sword cuts both ways. :D

stillakid
02-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Stilla, are you sure that article wasn't a suggestion that fans are treating the SW saga too much as a give-and-take relationship rather than merely a series of films? I suppose one could say that sword cuts both ways. :D

Hmm? I shall reflect upon that...

At first glance, it might seem to be the way you suggest, and you could be correct. But I'll suggest that the Saga et al is designed as more than just "product" flushed out of the pipes of Lucasfilm and Hasbro.

For instance, George himself admitted that he included Fett in the Prequels because Boba had become a "fan favorite." I could use the same reasoning by bringing up the parallel situation with the Hasbro fan choice polls. If these examples are any indication, then one could plausibly assume that the powers that be aren't just interested in our money...rather they want to "please us" (whatever that means)...of course with the goal of taking more of our money. It does all come back to that, of course.

Now, in a typical "summer blockbuster" situation, it would be a one-way street. But George more or less asked the viewing public to come to see the whole story (6 episodes) and in return he had/has the responsibility to keep delivering what we expect and judge as quality material. So I definitely do consider this a give and take relationship.

Despite the minority of apologist explanations to the contrary, anyone would be hardpressed to deny that the general "non-hardcore" viewing audience hasn't taken too well to the Prequels. Even some minor rumbling about ROTJ still can be heard on occasion. So, yeah, one could view any "product" as a simple "here it is, give us your money" situation, but I think that a franchise this big, with so many diverse opportunities for cash-flow, that this is more than just "a series of films." The sword does cut both ways...he cuts us with one side by dishing out garbage and we send it the other way with sharp criticism. :)

2-1B
02-05-2003, 01:54 AM
are you sure that article wasn't a suggestion that fans are treating the SW saga too much as a give-and-take relationship rather than merely a series of films?

Very true. :D

Sure, the article takes some critical shots at George and his decisions, but on another level I think it pokes fun at some fans. :)

I think it's important to note that the two guys "interviewed" for the segment are pictured in full wizard regalia . . . I think that itself is a joke made at the expense of people who get really excited over a movie. :crazed:

Either way, it's a great article.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-05-2003, 09:41 AM
"She used the 'it's not you, it's me" line on you? You invented that line!"
"I know, that's my line!!"

Love Seinfeld. :crazed:

Great article. The comment the guy makes about Emperor Palpy getting tossed and then compares it to a very personal sexual thing had me laughing for about 25 min. Cheers! :D

QLD
02-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Definately a well written article. It was a nice jab at us, the fans, and at Lucas. I love The Onion.

scruffziller
02-05-2003, 02:27 PM
YEAH!!!!! RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember , always 2 there are no more no less.

A Space Fantasy and a Historical fantasy..........

JediTricks
02-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Stilla, you know my stance on the prequels, my post above was really just pointing out the duality of that article... in other words, being a smartass as usual. :D

stillakid
02-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Stilla, you know my stance on the prequels, my post above was really just pointing out the duality of that article... in other words, being a smartass as usual. :D

You know from my argumentative nature that I was merely concocting a rebuttal despite me agreeing with you, at least in part. :D