PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of "Mystery" Trailer

Wolfwood319
11-10-2001, 10:44 AM
Anyone see the "Mystery" trailer on the DVD site? In my opinion its way cooler than "Breathing." You see a lot more action and dialogue.

Anyone else see it yet?

JediTricks
11-10-2001, 11:27 AM
I liked it a lot, but to be honest, I kinda wish these trailers were a little further apart from each other, I was still rolling "Breathing" around in my head when this one popped up, and the Harry Potty one will be out in another week. I enjoyed "Breathing" and I liked how the DVD "Mystery" trailer built on it, but dang if it didn't feel fast.

The CGI scenes are still looking more like video-game movies than real movies to me, but I'll live there since that stuff means very little to me compared to the story.

The only thing I really didn't like was Hayden, his acting in the trailer bugged the crap out of me, it was as if he simply had one note - low - and he had to squeeze everything out of it.

The only other thing I really didn't like ;) was that line of Obi-Wan's when they fly through the building "stay away from pod couplings", it sounds like it got chopped up in the editing. My theory is he's saying "power couplings" and it just got a little edit to save time, but it isn't clear enough. Oh, and speaking of that scene, the 2 characters, Ani and Obi, look ridiculous in their fake electrocuted seizures. ;)

derek
11-10-2001, 11:40 AM
too much CG is also what i was thinking. upon my first viewing i was wondering if this is episode 2 or final fantasy?

i'll bet some of these shots will be refined before release. remember in episode 1 , amidala's voice was altered(from the trailer versions) and the energy walls separating obi wan from maul and qui gon were redone.

bigbarada
11-10-2001, 11:55 AM
Obviously, it's Ep2 not that boring piece of crap Final Fantasy. Besides we all knew that the prequels would be mostly CG so what's the complaint? Like, JT, the CG doesn't bother me, it's the story that matters.

Hayden didn't bother me at all, in fact I think his and Portman's casting are going to make these movies great.

Overall, I loved the trailer!! I liked "Breathing" but this one makes that one seem dull by comparison.

Lord Malakite
11-10-2001, 12:43 PM
I liked it when Obi smart mouthed Anakin.
Ani: I came here to rescue you.
Obi: (sarcasticly) Good job.

ki-adi mundi's bro
11-10-2001, 01:02 PM
it was a great trailer overall...a few bumps in the editing deparment but okay...i can't wait to see the rest of the trailers and the final movie!!
only 187 days, 9 hours,17 seconds! no 10 no 9 oh you know what i mean!

Co Jo-Da
11-10-2001, 01:37 PM
MAN I THINK THE 'MYSTERY' TRAILER IS AWESOME and I haven't even seen it yet...:p

evenflow
11-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
MAN I THINK THE 'MYSTERY' TRAILER IS AWESOME and I want even seen it yet...:p

I feel the same way. I have yet to see, but it looks cooler than the "Breathing" trailer

LTBasker
11-10-2001, 05:06 PM
Actually JT, it looks more like Anakin is the only one having a "seizure."

The trailer itself is really awesome, I think I've fallen in love with the scene where Jango's Slave 1 is firing at either Anakin's or Obi-Wan's jedi"fighter" in the asteroid field, that's awesome! Oh and that giant naboo ship is pretty sweet lookin' too. :D

AmanaMatt
11-10-2001, 05:10 PM
not knowing anything about Ep II at this point, except for what I've seen (mostly) in the trailers is a big plus. That being said, the trailer was awsome; The Cgi was noticeable, but I figure that we're like 6 months away and they're obviously not finished. Hayden as Anakin seemed great to me; I do not feel he was in any way of a 'one note' caliber. Also, the fact these trailers are back-to-back is kinda cool...we really didn't get to see all that much in the way of spoilers in the 'Breathing' trailer. Again, I do not know the story beyond the trailers, so Trailer I was mostly a mystery to me

GNT
11-10-2001, 09:21 PM
I've seen pictures from the trailer and i'm impressed by it,it looks great :)

master jedi
11-10-2001, 10:53 PM
I like the Mystery trailer. It's different kind of excitment from the breathing trailer.

Co Jo-Da
11-11-2001, 02:52 AM
Finally, I got the 'Mystery' trailer downloaded (to bad it's low res.) and let me say it's awesome. You get to hear a couple of good one liners from Obi-Wan and alot of very cool action. Like Slave I blasting astroids all around Obi-Wan's Jedi Fighter, Obi-Wan jumping through a window and grabing a Attack Droid. It's so very cool...

Tycho
11-11-2001, 09:35 AM
[To the moderator: you may have to edit this, but please use more ***'s if you have to, versus deleting this. I tried really hard to behave, but I'm so excited, I'm losing my s--t!]

I loved everything!

First I loved Kliegg Lars' voice over. Immediately, when I heard what was being said against a background on Tatooine, I knew he was talking about the Tusken Raiders and Shmi, and I thought it was amazing how much he sounded like his son, years later, Uncle Owen! Nice job casting Tom Jackson!

I totally dug on Slave-1 firing like "Saving Private Ryan." It makes me think that if Fett had decided to fire on the Falcon...

Sorry. I was traumatized as a child by Empire Strikes Back. [Han Solo fans can go to therapy sessions for this: they're called Return of the Jedi screenings]

But MAN do I want to see that fire-fight in the asteroid belt!

Then when Obi-Wan jumped through the window…. WOW!

JediTricks: I loved the scene in the speeder chase when they flew through the power coupling! I thought it was nicely done, and watching it through slow motion, it's funny how Obi-Wan looks like he's going to be airsick. Do they have puke bags in Jedi utility belts???

I do think you're right about the special effects not being entirely done: the lightsaber being swung in the rain didn't look any particularly different from any lightsaber in Empire Strikes Back. We were told it was going to making a trace of sparks as the blade ionized the water dropplets. We barely saw them moving off the blade in this early shot. I think it will be awesome if they do something more with that.

Look at the Thranta for comparison (I think the flying creature is very similar to Thrantas from Alderaan - then later transported to Bespin) It's been in Ralph MacQuarrie's draft art for ages. Anyway, the water is just blasting off of that creature. The trailer really gets intense about here as the action picks up and never lets up!

Obi-Wan's "good job" line is terrific and I love the humor in it.

As to Hayden's acting. I think he's alright. Nothing spectacular, but he looks great. Look at the look on his face when he's fighting "Darth Tyranus." That's Darth VADER he's messing with!

However, Natalie Portman looked to be doing an excellent job, and her theater training and experience, sets her well out of Hayden's league. I hope he can keep up. What I've read from their love scene dialogue, he has some great stuff!

"Anakin, my you've grown."

"So have you. Grown more beautiful that is." Smoothe kid. Smoothe.

Then Hayden starts breathing heavy and they have to get him a respirator... James Earl Jones finishes the voice-over looping...

Well, my gosh! Look at Natalie! I liked all her hairstyles and I could have hyperventilated. Especially like her outfit in Palpatine's office with the choker on, blue dress...

Anyway, want to see Mace Windu fighting, and I thought this was called "Attack of the Clones?" are the trailers missing something?

The focus has definitely been on the love story, or at least a "body guard" type of preview.

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Actually JT, it looks more like Anakin is the only one having a "seizure."I think Obi-Wan is having a different style of seizure, Anakin is convulsing while Obi-Wan is merely twitching. But either way, tell me Anakin doesn't look silly flopping around like that. ;) BTW, listening again, Obi-Wan is saying "power couplings", I had to jack my speakers way up to hear it though.

JEDIpartner
11-12-2001, 11:00 AM
Well all right! I FINALLY got to see the danged trailer! It was awesome. I'm glad to see that Ewan has picked up some of the "Han Solo"-type humour. This film looks to be at LEAST 40 times better than TPM, which I still loved inspite of its faults.

One of my co-workers, who is eternally jaded about everything, actually thought this looked good. He didn't like the speeder chase, but I thought that would be another classic STAR WARS moment that we may be talking about months after the film's release. I could be wrong, but it still looks quite cool!

I'm glad they concentrated on the political intrigue a bit. Natalie looks stunning!

One question though... will Yoda appear as a CG throughout the film? I will start a thread on that immediately!

good shot jansen
11-12-2001, 11:46 AM
it has me really excited about the movie!

Fulit
11-12-2001, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

"Anakin, my you've grown."

"So have you. Grown more beautiful that is." Smoothe kid. Smoothe.

Did I get a different version of the trailer, because this line isn't in the version I downloaded from movielist.com or wherever. ????

JEDIpartner
11-12-2001, 04:07 PM
No...

That is the trailer that is supposed to be shown before "Hairy Pothead":stupid:

You got the one everyone else got.

The 'Xir
11-13-2001, 02:23 AM
I posted this in the EpI board also, but is anyone else having troubles accessing the dvd on your PC?!
I mean I got a brand new CompaQ Presario 5000 series with 800MHz AMD Duron processor, 64MB, 40.GB Hard Drive, Cd-Rom and CD-RW drives, 8MB Nvidia TNT2 Vanta LT Graphics Card 56 k modem with Cable connection, and 10/100Mb PCI NIC! and that's just the standard stuff!

What is there some crazy code you gotta punch in or something? I guess my computer still isn't cool enough to play DVD's but I thought it was suppsossed to! I guess I was wrong... :rolleyes: :mad:

The 'Xir
11-13-2001, 02:27 AM
Oh yeah... so does anyone know of any site that has the mystery trailer for download?

no, and don't tell me 'movies-list.com', I already tried that and every link I click on to see it, quicktime keeps crashing! well not crashing but you know what I mean!

The waiting is KILLING MEEEE!!!!! AWWAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

K.. I'm better now:D

no I'm not... AWWAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :frus: :mad: :cry:

Fulit
11-13-2001, 08:42 AM
Don't use Quicktime, Quicktime sucks. I know you said "don't say movielist.com", but if you go there, theres a link at the bottom under the Jango Fett pic that says "MPEG" over it and the actual link is titled "Mirror". Right click it, and choose "Save Target As", and it will download it as an .mpeg file to your hard drive, then you won't even have to mess with the DVD. As long as you have a moive player that supports .mpeg files.

And it wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention the dude that hipped me to this, master jedi. If'n it warn't fer him, I'd be in the same boat as The 'Xir.

Co Jo-Da
11-13-2001, 05:50 PM
Is it just me...or does the HI-RES never working? I spent two hours, waiting for the darn page to open but IT DIDN'T. I already have on the LO-RES but it's hard to make out some of the details and the soundtrack is a little scratchy...OH WELL, I KEEP TRYING...:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

master jedi
11-13-2001, 06:01 PM
But you don't need the DVD to download it or to view it. You just need the DVD to go to dvd.starwars.com and download it there.

Also, why do you think Quicktime sucks?

Co Jo-Da
11-13-2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
But you don't need the DVD to download it or to view it. You just need the DVD to go to dvd.starwars.com and download it there.

OK, I went to DVD.STARWARS.COM and tryed to download it, guess what-I needed the DVD to access the site. Did I do something wrong, I think you still need the DVD to get it from there. Hopefully it will get moved to the main site for everyone...

master jedi
11-13-2001, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da

OK, I went to DVD.STARWARS.COM and tryed to download it, guess what-I needed the DVD to access the site. Did I do something wrong, I think you still need the DVD to get it from there. Hopefully it will get moved to the main site for everyone...

I did say that you do need the dvd to access the dvd.starwars.com

try downloading the quicktime version from movie-list.com you don't need the dvd when you go there.

Jargo
11-13-2001, 07:47 PM
If you have windows media player version 7.1 it will play the hi-res .mpeg fine that they have at movielist.com. I just watched it and have to say that I'm impressed with the pace and the designs in movement but less than struck on hayden. And didn't natalie look so cute in that Heidi outfit? The flying whale looked like a muppet to me with that flopping head. Can't put my finger on which muppet though. loved the nod to McQuarrie with the sandcrawlers. And all the winged Geonosians wobbling in the background while we get the funnies from Obi-Wan. Coruscant still looks great even at high speed. That big fat freighter makes me want to make a ship just like it with all it's detail and carefully thought out design.
Is it me or did Yoda change between trailers? What happened to the ittle frog? He looked so cool in the breathing trailer. In this one he looked about ninety years older and so tiny!

But so very nice to finally get a glimpse of Dooku's ship in flight.....

Jedi Clint
11-14-2001, 01:05 AM
Which ship are you referring to EJ? I didn't see Dooku's ship.

Co Jo-Da
11-14-2001, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
But so very nice to finally get a glimpse of Dooku's ship in flight.....

Isn't Dooku's ship suppost to look like a Asian sail boat?

Jargo
11-14-2001, 03:23 PM
OOPS! My bad.
I thought the shot of the assasin droid taking off from that balcony at the start was Dooku's ship. The version of the trailer I have is dark and murky at that point and I just saw the two curved fin wings and thought it was Dooku's ship with wings in flight position. But after doing some screen captures last night and comparing it to the shot of Obi jumping out of the window onto the droid I camr to the right conclusion in the end.
If you have the Mpeg version it will play in Quicktime 5.2 with more clarity than in windows media player due to a different way of decoding the movie file. Strange the things you discover when trying to get a decent screen capture or two. It was however an easy mistake to make in the dead of the night with the sound on low so i couldn't hear that the droid makes the same noise as the EP1 dark eye probes....

Jedi Clint
11-14-2001, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reply EJ. I thought maybe I missed something. That droid looks like Maul's ship to me :). The first shot is really dark. In comparing some images, I have come to the conclusion that the droid is leaving the immediate presence of Zam Wessel in that scene. In the select pic you can see the same illuminated billboard behind Zam that is you see in the opening to the Mystery trailer. My guess is that the select pic takes place when she sees Kenobi hanging from her droid, raises her long barreled rifle and opens fire on him. I will try to get a comparison shot up soon.

LTBasker
11-14-2001, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure if it's been said in here or not, I haven't seen all the posts in this thread, but the person in the nightculb that's sneaking up on Obi-Wan appears to be Zam Wessel, you can see this by looking at the outfit simularities between the person there and the cover of issue #57 of the Insider. Also, you can see a clear pic of her with her sniper rifle inside of it.

Sith Worm
11-14-2001, 07:55 PM
JediTricks did you say that Harry Potty has an Epi.II trailer also?...

Jargo
11-14-2001, 07:58 PM
exactly right LT.basker. I took a screen cap and lightened it to show that it's zam 'shredder' wessel standing pointing her gun at Obi who jumps like a startled cat and then swings that saber like it's the last slice he'll get.

Seems a little hypocritical to me if the spy reports are true about Obi-Wan chastising Anakin for igniting his saber in the club, that Obi is the one who ignites his. Things that make you go hmmmmm..

Are all bounty hunters as inept as Zam? Make's you wonder why anyone hires Zam in the first place.

Poor R2 getting blasted in the explosion of the Naboo flying wing. He damn near gets incinerated! Uncalled for droid abuse that is.

I got a good shot of that Thranta and kaminoan coming out the water. Took me ages to get the frame right for capturing an image that showed the Kaminoans legs which I just couldn't figure out from the rest of the figure. I thought at one point he had four legs or there were more than one Kaminoan on the Thranta. But he just has more than one joint in his legs and flipper feet.

And Harry Potter will have the 'True love' trailer attached. prints are being delivered to Cinemas right now apparently. They have the code name 'black eyes' written on them instead of true love. Useless fact number seventy six: Black eyes was a tv show that Rick McCallum produced in the nineties. Anything Lucas would have been rumbled straight away by fanboys so they opted for something a little more cryptic..... or so they thought! :)

Rollo Tomassi
11-14-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Thanks for the reply EJ. I thought maybe I missed something. That droid looks like Maul's ship to me :). The first shot is really dark. In comparing some images, I have come to the conclusion that the droid is leaving the immediate presence of Zam Wessel in that scene. In the select pic you can see the same illuminated billboard behind Zam that is you see in the opening to the Mystery trailer. My guess is that the select pic takes place when she sees Kenobi hanging from her droid, raises her long barreled rifle and opens fire on him. I will try to get a comparison shot up soon.

There's a better image of her and her rifle in the SW Insider on page #47. It's like the select pic only it's not silouhetted so you can actaully see her...

JediTricks
11-15-2001, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
JediTricks did you say that Harry Potty has an Epi.II trailer also?... Yes I did... because supposedly, it does.

I've heard several confirmations that it's R2-D2 getting hit with flaming debris in the trailer, but the droid getting hit looks like it has green details instead of blue. That poor little droid gets WHOLLUPED though, and it's weird that his middle leg begins retracting when he flies up.

Tycho
11-20-2001, 06:48 AM
Emperor Jargo:

Several things: If Anakin does ignite his saber to get past the bouncer in the club and Obi-Wan chatises him for it, when Obi-Wan draws his own (against Zam Wessel), Anakin can argue with him that he's being a hypocrite. Another reason to take up cause with the way Obi-Wan is training him. A 'when and when not to [draw your lightsaber]' may ensue after this segment, and that's when he says "Anakin you haven't learned anything!"

Next, wouldn't it be cool if Kaminoans had 4 legs? (and two arms, additionally). I like it when all aliens don't have 2 arms and 2 legs (like someone walking around a bar with a green mask on, LOL) I am also a Star Trek fan, and if you ever saw Voyager with the Borg versus Species 8472 and the war in liquid space, you'd have seen those aliens with 3 (three) legs. That was cool. But Star Wars is cooler than Star Trek, but since ILM does the effects for both, why not go that route. The Kaminoans (could have been) could be REALLY cool! Imagine the action figures! (merchandizing can be a strong influence on the weak-minded.)

Jargo
11-20-2001, 02:03 PM
Are you kidding! ILM have enough problems getting two legs to look right. Just look at jar jar, he walks like Disney's Goofy. I agree with you on the legs thing though Tycho. I'd love to see less sentient bipeds and more non bipedal beings. things like the mynock and the Dianoga with no legs to speak of. A guy in a mask walking around is great up to a point but after a while they all blend into each other and you leave yourself nowhere to go. Seems that all the star wars aliens are either bipedal or some kind of giant lizard. Generalising I know but you catch my drift.
The kaminoans being watery based creatures shouldn't need legs at all, it would be cool if they had no legs but just big flippers like a sealion or squid-like tentacles. But as we saw on the trailer, the limbs seem to be two arms and two legs. again.
this probably sounds like another negative post from yours truly but it's not. I'm just musing.
I actually have high hopes for the as yet unseen Dexter jettster. Even though he's supposed to have four arms and two legs.......
George has always shunned the really bizarre designs his designers come up with going right back to ANH with Ron Cobb's cantina creatures. he did a jellyfish looking creature sat at a table with it's tentacles crossed at whare a knee would be and it was holding a drinking vessel in a nonchalant way. I'd love him to CGI that one into the cantina somewhere. But the jabba's palace designs were really way out going by some of the maquettes. really nasty looking critters and loads of nasty sharp pointy teeth. Instead he chose the more palletable ones that wouldn't frighten the kids.
If anyone ever gets hold of star wars in the future to do a remake (unlikely as that is) i hope they make it more adult oriented and make the creatures more dangerous looking.

All of which is about a million miles from the point of this thread...... So yes the trailer was cool even if the copy I have isn't strictly speaking legal...:stupid: