PDA

View Full Version : Why did Jango head off to Geonosis?

JediTricks
02-05-2003, 09:45 PM
It didn't seem like Jango had plans to go to Geonosis before Obi-Wan showed up, he seemed to be settling in at his apartment. So after the confrontation with Obi-Wan, he packs up and heads off to Slave I when he's intercepted by the Jedi knight. But why leave and head right for his secretive employer? Couldn't he have simply called Dooku and told him what had happened instead of leading the Jedi right to him?

Beast
02-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Just going to offer a few suggestions. Maybe Dooku/Tyranus owed him some money. And now with the heat possibly going to be on Kamino, he needed to fallback to a secure safeplace. What's safer then a planet with a huge build-up of the Sepratists forces.

Perhaps he didn't want to send a transmission, due to how easy they seem to be used for connection traces. After all, Maul was able to locate the queen's ship in E1, with the help of the transmission from Sio Bibble.

Jango may have considered the risk of a transmission trace was to high. Plus Kamino and Geonosis appear to be near each other, as Obi-Wan didn't need the hyperdrive ring to follow after them. Plus the movie would have been pretty boring, if that wouldn't have happened. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
It didn't seem like Jango had plans to go to Geonosis before Obi-Wan showed up, he seemed to be settling in at his apartment. So after the confrontation with Obi-Wan, he packs up and heads off to Slave I when he's intercepted by the Jedi knight. But why leave and head right for his secretive employer? Couldn't he have simply called Dooku and told him what had happened instead of leading the Jedi right to him?

Maybe it's for the same reason that C-3PO's decapitated body just happens to wander into the conveniently available open space on the battle droid assembly line. ;)

Beast
02-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Maybe it's for the same reason that C-3PO's decapitated body just happens to wander into the conveniently available open space on the battle droid assembly line. ;)
You mean Jango went to Geonosis, for the same reason that happened? So that Anthony Daniels could finally wield a blaster as C-3PO. Somthing he's wanted to do since filming the original Star Wars. Wow! ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
You mean Jango went to Geonosis, for the same reason that happened? So that Anthony Daniels could finally wield a blaster as C-3PO. Somthing he's wanted to do since filming the original Star Wars. Wow! ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sort of, I suppose. While I was indeed referring to the "convenient" writing, certainly shoehorning an actor's ambitions into a screenplay despite the lack of logic manages to easily fit that description. :)

2-1B
02-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Did Jango know everything about his involvement in the conspiracy?

Was he "confused" by Obi's presence? Kenobi asked about Sifo-Dyas but Jango corrected him by citing Tyrannus as the one who hired Fett. If it were the other way around, I could understand Jango citing someone else to throw off Obi - but to name the actual guy???? (okay, he didn't "name" him by talking about Dooku, but still - Tyrannus is a clandestine name used by him). Well, if Jango really didn't know about all of this Syfo-Dias business, it would make sense to me that he wanted to head to Geonosis to see Dooku/Tyrannus and find out what the heck was really going on. Or maybe he's just a loyal employee who runs off to the boss when there's trouble, thus leading Kenobi straight to Dooku. :D

The look on Jango's face strikes me as one of puzzlement . . . and I think he's not fully in the loop. What he knows about Dooku, I'm not certain. I definately don't believe he knows anything about Sidious, I think his ties are strictly to Dooku.

mini-rock
02-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Plus Kamino and Geonosis appear to be near each other, as Obi-Wan didn't need the hyperdrive ring to follow after them.;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Actually Obi-Wan did use the hyperdrive ring to follow Jango to Geonosis. Right after the layer change on the DVD Obi-Wan pops out of hyperspace then detaches from the ring and follows Jango into the asteroid belt.

"Maybe it's for the same reason C-3PO and R2-D2 just happen to be sold to Anakin's step-brother who just happens to be the guardian of Anakin's son."

"Maybe it's for the same reason the Empire decided to go to Alderran to blow it up, the same place Obi-Wan and Luke were going in the Falcon to return the droids. How convenient."

"Maybe it's for the same reason Luke just happened to land on the part of the planet where Yoda didn't live too far away from. It was a frikkin planet!!"

"Maybe it's for the same reason R2 was put on Jabba's sail barge so he could then eject Luke's lightsaber to him over the Sarlacc pit, when Jabba could have put him to work somewhere else just as easily."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Beast
02-06-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Actually Obi-Wan did use the hyperdrive ring to follow Jango to Geonosis. Right after the layer change on the DVD Obi-Wan pops out of hyperspace then detaches from the ring and follows Jango into the asteroid belt.
Ugh, you're right. Man, my brain is fried lately. Maybe I should toss the DVD in again and re-watch. I seem to be forgetting a lot of stuff here. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
02-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a good enough excuse to go watch AOTC again. I may do the same thing.:D

LTBasker
02-06-2003, 02:47 AM
"Maybe it's for the same reason C-3PO and R2-D2 just happen to be sold to Anakin's step-brother who just happens to be the guardian of Anakin's son." - The will of the force... The force is alive man, it's aliiiivvee!!! It can do that stuff! :crazed:

"Maybe it's for the same reason the Empire decided to go to Alderran to blow it up, the same place Obi-Wan and Luke were going in the Falcon to return the droids. How convenient." - Not really.. Obi-Wan thought Leia was on Alderaan, or it would be a good place to look first since she didn't send a transport or a message, and Tarkin wanted to hit Leia HARD by destroying her home planet.

"Maybe it's for the same reason Luke just happened to land on the part of the planet where Yoda didn't live too far away from. It was a frikkin planet!!" - Wouldn't doubt that had to do with the force subconciously guiding him. Driven by Yoda, it would be effective, methinks. Obviously Obi and Yoda talked prior to Luke's arrival.

"Maybe it's for the same reason R2 was put on Jabba's sail barge so he could then eject Luke's lightsaber to him over the Sarlacc pit, when Jabba could have put him to work somewhere else just as easily." - Well he wouldn't go well as a Skiff Guard or Dance Instructor... They tried making him Jabba's wardrobe assisstant, but then they remembered he just wore his birthday suit.

Sorry, just couldn't help but comment on those. :D

As for why Jango went to Geonosis, remember he thought Obi-Wan was dead on Kamino. He probably feared there would be more Jedi arriving, and so he went to Geonosis to report it to Dooku and to help his hide. Just wasn't very head strong was he? :happy:

mini-rock
02-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
"Maybe it's for the same reason R2 was put on Jabba's sail barge so he could then eject Luke's lightsaber to him over the Sarlacc pit, when Jabba could have put him to work somewhere else just as easily." - Well he wouldn't go well as a Skiff Guard or Dance Instructor... They tried making him Jabba's wardrobe assisstant, but then they remembered he just wore his birthday suit.

LOL!!:D

2-1B
02-06-2003, 03:48 AM
"Maybe it's for the same reason the Empire decided to go to Alderran to blow it up, the same place Obi-Wan and Luke were going in the Falcon to return the droids. How convenient." - Not really.. Obi-Wan thought Leia was on Alderaan, or it would be a good place to look first since she didn't send a transport or a message, and Tarkin wanted to hit Leia HARD by destroying her home planet.

I see where mini-rock was going with the other points, but I think this one is different. Leia was already on the way to Alderaan with R2 when she was captured. Obi-Wan needed to get R2 to Alderaan. And since Leia was "racing home aboard her starship" :D with the stolen plans, she was obviously up to something . . . so Alderaan is a perfect Death Star victim. :)

As for why Jango went to Geonosis, remember he thought Obi-Wan was dead on Kamino. He probably feared there would be more Jedi arriving, and so he went to Geonosis to report it to Dooku and to help his hide. Just wasn't very head strong was he? :happy:

Good point!
I never even thought about Jango assuming Obi-Wan was dead.
He does decide to leave before his encounter with Obi, but we don't know for sure where he planned to go. Maybe he DID plan to see Dooku all along . . . but if it wasn't decided to go to Geonosis until after Obi-Wan was "dead" then I don't think it was such a foolish move.

stillakid
02-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Caesar

Good point!
I never even thought about Jango assuming Obi-Wan was dead.
He does decide to leave before his encounter with Obi, but we don't know for sure where he planned to go. Maybe he DID plan to see Dooku all along . . . but if it wasn't decided to go to Geonosis until after Obi-Wan was "dead" then I don't think it was such a foolish move.

That does work...as long as the decision was made after the fight. But Jango had decided to go before that...but go where?

And the conveniences, MR...please explain the C3PO bit in the assembly line for me. Why is this such a fantastic example of excellent writing? Thanks! :) You see, there are some "conveniences" that are slight enough to be overlooked as necessary to get the plot from point A to point B. But a few are so over-the-top as to be just flat out ridiculous.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Hopefully in the archival edition of AOTC, they'll have C-3PO knock a droid body off the assemblt line on accident. Cause, why the hell would there be any open spaces? In the wide shot before he gets his head put on, there are no open spaces.

stillakid
02-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Hopefully in the archival edition of AOTC, they'll have C-3PO knock a droid body off the assemblt line on accident. Cause, why the hell would there be any open spaces? In the wide shot before he gets his head put on, there are no open spaces.

It's not the open space that bugs me half as much as the idea that this decapitated droid body just magically waddles over into the line at all. What a load of horse doo! And all, apparently, just because an actor wanted to hold a gun. Gimme a break.

mini-rock
02-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL

:p Yeah if they threw a droid in that spot that would be ok too, but this was clearly meant to be a comedy piece, and for SOMEONE to take this more serious than what it is needs to get a life. Maybe for S&G they can throw in a couple Battledroids and play sandwich with 3-PO.:p

JediTricks
02-07-2003, 06:55 PM
"Maybe it's for the same reason C-3PO and R2-D2 just happen to be sold to Anakin's step-brother who just happens to be the guardian of Anakin's son."
That was coincidence plus location since the droids were heading to Obi-Wan's house when they got picked up by the sandcrawler that was making stops at homesteads in the area, this was different because Jango made a choice to go to Geonosis.

"Maybe it's for the same reason R2 was put on Jabba's sail barge so he could then eject Luke's lightsaber to him over the Sarlacc pit, when Jabba could have put him to work somewhere else just as easily."We don't know for sure, but it seems possible that Lando might have sabotaged the previous barge droid before R2 and 3PO showed up; heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Lando also got the previous translator droid "fired" somehow too. In any event, there are some similarities to the end result, but I still submit that Jango chose to go to Geonosis and that's my question, "why".

As for why Jango went to Geonosis, remember he thought Obi-Wan was dead on Kamino. He probably feared there would be more Jedi arriving, and so he went to Geonosis to report it to Dooku and to help his hide. Just wasn't very head strong was he?Ok, that seems somewhat reasonable, but why not just make a call first to make sure the boss is cool with that? He's a bounty hunter, he should know that if other Jedi are coming they might be able to track his route.

stillakid
02-07-2003, 08:12 PM
:p Yeah if they threw a droid in that spot that would be ok too, but this was clearly meant to be a comedy piece, and for SOMEONE to take this more serious than what it is needs to get a life. Maybe for S&G they can throw in a couple Battledroids and play sandwich with 3-PO.:p

That the entire C-3PO sequence was meant to be a comedic counter-point to the "serious" battle sequence is not in question. What does inspire thoughtful critique and mature discussion is the manner in which it is executed in the context with which it is presented. While comedy within a Star Wars film is not an issue, as it has previously been accomplished successfully, the particulars of this specific instance do not have a "logical" foundation as do other story elements which are born out of the plot at hand.

In regards to your above quote suggesting that a non-specified forumite "get a life" merely because they've chosen to discuss said topic is quite out of hand and is deserving of official reprimand at the very least. I can only suggest that you either steer clear of topics and/or hobbies that you are obviously too good for or find more mature and intelligent means to express your opinions and viewpoints.

mini-rock
02-07-2003, 09:27 PM
JT,

Those "Maybe it's for the same reason" comments I had made I didn't mean for anyone to take them seriously. More of a joke really. But it's funny how when it comes to the PT "fans" are quick to bash certain scenes (or the entire movies) but with the OT they will make up any story to explain a scene whether it needs it or not.

Personally I do not find fault with those scenes, and I'm all for discussion & debate on these films, but this negativity and constant bashing towards Star Wars by "Star Wars fans" is old & tired.:)

stillakid
02-07-2003, 11:40 PM
but this negativity and constant bashing towards Star Wars by "Star Wars fans" is old & tired.:)

Maybe so. This topic was brought up before and in response I began the following thread: Why does everyone like Episode I! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12060) . You can see for yourself just how popular it ended up being. A whopping 35 replies, many of which either had nothing to do with the topic or they were "refusals" to discuss it (yet the forumites felt it necessary to post that for some reason.)

Anyhow, "bashing" of anything, Star Wars or otherwise, wouldn't happen so often if it wasn't deserved. As said many times before, it is out of respect and enjoyment for the story that I, for one, hold the Episodes up to a higher standard than most Hollywood fare. Were Episodes I and II just another set of throw-away films, like most of the movie going audience, I wouldn't waste so much time and money on the hobby. But because the Saga began so well, with such strong writing from Huyck, Katz, and Kasdan, it is painful and sad to see how awry things have gone.

Perhaps it is with a sense that maybe if "we" make enough noise, George will hear the dissent and realize that it doesn't have to be this way. He can perhaps save the Saga from becoming just another one of those things that went on too long for it's own good. He has one more chance to tie up the loose ends. He has another chance to fix continuity errors when he re-edits the Original Trilogy.

Perhaps all who frequent here and bother to post do indeed need to "get a life." But this is the hobby we've chosen to exert our energies on. This is what it is...in this place anyway.

JediTricks
02-08-2003, 03:35 AM
mini-rock, I didn't see too many PT fans trying to even think up plausible reasons for why Jango led the Jedi to Geonosis. I asked an honest question and few actually stepped up to the plate with honest answers. I see plenty of so-called Prequel Fans giving reasons why they don't HAVE to answer questions like these because it's "the opposition's fault" these questions were brought up or they just don't want to see them, but not a lot of serious considerations to the question or well-defined-yet-often-overlooked evidence to fill in these gaps. I sat around for years discussing stuff like how R2 got the job on the sail barge with fellow fans, when they brought up what they perceived as plotholes I discussed 'em thoughtfully rather than calling them names and accusing them of sabotaging Star Wars - because that's part of the fun of SW for me.

You seem to be reacting to my question as some sort of personal threat while making definitive judgements against other fans with opinions you decree as solid fact. Yet what you don't seem to notice is that if you see my question of the logic and/or reason behind this event as "negative", then that negativity comes from the film itself or the reader of the post because my post has neither a negative nor a positive connotation. Nowhere do I state Jango heading to Geonosis ruins the movie or is without merit - you come into this thread, read my question, and apparently don't have an answer either so you seem to lash out at me for asking the question as if it's my fault the plot creates the issue.

Despite your "quote-unquote-Star-Wars-Fan" comment, I am a Star Wars fan just like pretty much everybody around here, and like most of those folks, I don't have to love everything about SW, some folks don't like the EU, some don't like the video games, some don't like the cartoons or Ewok movies, that doesn't mean they're less of fans and I resent the implication that just because you don't agree with me on this issue that I must be both wrong and not a true fan. If you don't respect my opinion, whatever, but don't expect me to respect yours in turn - I haven't done anything wrong and I don't see why my thread should be trashed because I am asking a question that you perceive as somehow threatening to your fandom.

mini-rock
02-08-2003, 11:05 AM
You have taken what I post and made it a bigger deal than what it is. If you wish to continue this, God knows why you would want to, then PM or email me. There is no reason other forumites should have to read our BS, so let's get back to topic.

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 10:45 PM
I guess I did make that into a bigger deal than it was, but I hear that stuff a lot around here and it gets kinda frustrating; I know some prequel fans feel similarly about unfavorable posts about the prequels.

mini-rock
02-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I know some prequel fans feel similarly about unfavorable posts about the prequels.

I couldn't agree more.:)

Fulit
02-10-2003, 12:08 AM
Head Off to Geonosis! Ha! That's classic, JT!:p

JediTricks
02-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Heh heh. :D

Seriously though, anybody got any other theories?

Darth Jax
02-24-2003, 10:20 PM
don't have a theory to answer the question, but something else to consider while formulating a response is when did Dooku realize Jango had arrived. Personally i like to overlook some of the miraculous coincidences that occur in the movies so that i can enjoy them.

JediTricks
02-24-2003, 10:59 PM
I can understand overlooking coincidence, but my issue here is that this isn't a coincidence, Jango makes a conscious choice to head off to his employer leading the Jedi to Dooku and the separatists.