PDA

View Full Version : Podracing was planned otu all along?

BountyHunter
11-10-2001, 01:41 PM
I wonder, Did GL have podracing an idea for the Star Wars universe all along? Or did he just make it up for Episode I. I'm not saying I have anything against podracing, it kicks ***. But, there is no reference or anythign to it in IV, V,or VI. Did it just die out, is that why there in no referance or anything, or did GL have the idea but didn't do anything with it because of budget and time. I don't know, any thoughts?

bigbarada
11-10-2001, 03:04 PM
I highly doubt it. It would seem to be an idea that just popped into his head while writing Ep1. I think GL purposely leaves many aspects of the trilogy ambiguous to keep himself interested while writing them. Sure he said that he had all six movies planned out but I really don't believe that means he had everything written down. Just a general placing of events to lend credibility to the original trilogy.

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 03:15 AM
Lucas has been an auto racing fan (and participant) nearly all his life, but I think he only got the idea to combine Star Wars with NASCAR in '97.

Lobito
11-13-2001, 03:26 PM
Or maybe one of the writers (Bantam books) told him about races...swoop races...but who knows...i doubt that GL has even read a book of SW. Not even Heir to the Empire.

chewie
11-23-2001, 11:54 PM
Back in 1991, the Super Nintendo game, F-Zero came out, which was a bunch of futuristic, hovering, high speed cars that raced and involved a bit of danger to it.

1995 saw the release of Wipeout for the Sony Playstation. It too, was a bunch of futuristic hovering cars that raced. It also brought this style of game into full 3D. It also brought the usage of weapons into play against other racers.

1996 saw Wipeout XL, the sequel to Wipeout, but this time, the game featured a wider variety of racing tracks and locations.

There has been a few more of these hover car racing games to come along since the release of those games, but I'm certain Lucas was at least in part influenced by these games. Heck, when I played Podracer for my pc, it really did feel like I was playing a sequel to Wipeout. Which is not a bad thing, but I guess its hard to be truly different when hover car racing has already been done. At least the format of vehicle was different in the pod racing sequence.

Jargo
11-25-2001, 02:49 PM
Don't quote me on this guys but I have a couple of legit treatments that came out of LFL round about 1983. In one of them which is a very rough episode three synopsis I'm sure there's a reference to some kind of circuit racing or danger sport.
Then again it may have been in one of the early drafts of ANH I have. Some say they're bogus copies but the annotated screenplays book proves otherwise with the margin notes. I'm going to do some reading and see if I can find this ancient reference to share with you. But don't hang on it as my mind may be playing tricks on me. Back in a while............