PDA

View Full Version : The Most sensational, inspirational, celebrational...

Eternal Padawan
02-06-2003, 06:02 AM
...Muppetational, This is what we call the Muppet Show!

Wonnnnk.

I splurged and picked up the two best of DVDs because methinks season sets are a loooong way off. Can anyone direct me to a website (or maybe just answer my questions) about how many episodes there were? For how many seasons?

The DVDs cracked me up. It was equally joyful and painful to watch Mark Hamill (and his cousin :rolleyes: ) hamming it up. I especially liked his impersonations.

And some of the skits I had clean forgotten about, like "Veterinary Hospital" about a quack that has gone to the dogs... :D

Vintage funny stuff from my youth. Between these discs and the new figures coming out, I crave more episodes. Doth our Imperial DVD guru, JJB, knowest whence more DVDs are forthcoming?

derek
02-06-2003, 08:47 AM
i really liked that show. animal and beaker were my favorite characters.

did you see that commercial using the judges form the muppet show? they had someone doing the voices that sounded nothing like the originals. i don't remember what they were selling, but i didn't like it.

2-1B
02-06-2003, 01:00 PM
I bought the Mark Hamill disc as well, and also found myself squirming during some parts. :D

I'm not looking to collect all of the discs they release, but I'm definately getting the DVDs with Alice Cooper and Rocky Balboa when they're released. :crazed:

It's time to put on makeup . . . it's time to light the lights . . .

stillakid
02-06-2003, 01:12 PM
My favorite episode by far is the one with Milton Burle. His "stand up" act with the hecklers is funny EVERY time. :D

The Star Wars episode is painful to watch. Dredges up memories of the Christmas Special. :dead:

-- "Green smoke!"

bobafett07728
02-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Statler and Waldorf were the two best hecklers in the business!!!!!

Patient Zero
02-06-2003, 01:15 PM
I always liked that insane flasher that threw fish boomerangs! :D

scruffziller
02-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I always like the Swedish schef. Them poor chickens!!!:D

Doo doo do doo do um um BORK BORK BORK!!!!!!!

Kidhuman
02-06-2003, 02:59 PM
There are many characters on there that were hilarious. The old men I thought were the best. Then Animal, beaker, the chef and lots others. I do not remember the SW episode though. I was really young and vaugly remember any of the guests that were on there.

QLD
02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
WHat about the fish juggler guy?

Beast
02-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Between these discs and the new figures coming out, I crave more episodes. Doth our Imperial DVD guru, JJB, knowest whence more DVDs are forthcoming?
Well, there are quite a few DVD's out, but the newer ones are all Time Life exclusives for a period of time and then they can be released in stores. Like the ones that are out there now.

The Muppet Show vols. 1-15 (http://www.timelife.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;%24sid%24PbCJqD2sJarIs92j3uppvaF4f_1pP8V3?Pr oductSKU=18052-9)

The above link takes you to the Time Life site. You can get all 15 currently available volumes for $149.96. Combine that with the 25% off code(CF25B2) and you can get the set for about $127 shipped!! That works out to around $8.46 each. An awesome deal. I'm not 100% sure that the code is current, but I believe it is. :cool: :D

Edit: Damn, just checked the code. It is no longer current. I'll see if I can locate a more current code for you. :)

Edit 2: Ok, found one that is current. Not sure how much longer it will be though. This is a good deal if you can afford it. :)

New 25% Off Code: 3212WEB

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
02-06-2003, 08:39 PM
I did a little research of my own and found out that it was on for 5 seasons (1976-81), with 24 episodes each season.

JJB I am humbled by your gift for DVD knowledge. I don't have $100+ to blow on these right now, but if they are coming to regular shelves, I'll keep my eyes open.

And lemme do some math. 24 x 5 = 120 episodes
15 discs x 3 episodes each = 45 episodes
120 - 45 = 75 episodes not accounted for. So whose holding out? James Coco?!?! For petes sake, if Gene Kelly's estate can O.K. a Muppet DVD, why the hell can't James Coco give the word? I know I'm simplifying, but it would make so much more sense to do box sets. Doesn't Sony know these are all the rage with old TV shows?

Beast
02-06-2003, 08:48 PM
No probs, EP. That's what I'm here for. I also wish they would do season boxsets, since so many studios are realizing the gold mine they have in their vaults. The Muppets would definatly sell like hotcakes, just like almost every other TV property from the past 40 or so years. :)

Atleast most studios are on the TV on DVD bandwagon. Shows that were butchered and suffering in syndication, finally get what they deserve on DVD. I've been really enjoying the "All in the Family" releases, and can't wait for more. A few studios still stumble, and many shows hit rights problems though. Which really sucks.

MST3K is the big problem there, they don't have the rights to the shows they parodied, and to rebuy them would cost them a fortune. And people like Sandy Frank won't ever allow them to get the rights again for they movies they own that were parodied (i.e. Godzilla, Gamera, etc.).

Disney's Gargoyles is coming up later this year on DVD. I can't wait for that one myself. Always was a fan of that series. Now I'm way off topic, sorry about that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
02-07-2003, 12:13 AM
75 episodes not accounted for. So whose holding out? James Coco?!?! For petes sake, if Gene Kelly's estate can O.K. a Muppet DVD, why the hell can't James Coco give the word? I know I'm simplifying, but it would make so much more sense to do box sets. Doesn't Sony know these are all the rage with old TV shows?

well, maybe, but i definitely know one that isn't on the "best of" set...

MADELINE KAHN!!!

her episode was awesome! my brother has the entire T/L set, and she's not in it.

my favorite MS skit ever was madeline kahn singing "fever" with animal accompanying her on drums... it was incredible!

mrmiller
02-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Try www.tvtome.com for all TV series you're interested in. They have good listings of all the episodes, and some even have synopsis. Here is the direct link to the Muppet Show:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-1866/

=MATT=

Beast
02-11-2003, 02:49 PM
EP, I just found out that there are 2 more DVD's worth of episodes coming out to stores on March 4th. I'll link to the Time Life site, so you know which episodes are included on those. :)

Best Of The Muppet Show: Harry Belafonte, Linda Ronstadt and John Denver (http://www.timelife.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=jMp2047DqFo1tbCK3uY236gGeWw98Zz5Mh0=?Pro ductSKU=8261)

Best Of The Muppet Show: Peter Sellers, John Cleese and Dudley Moore (http://www.timelife.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=jMp2047DqFo1tbCK3uY236gGeWw98Zz5Mh0=?Pro ductSKU=8262)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
03-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Yeah. I just saw those at Best Buy. I picked up the Sellers/Cleese one. Sellers is a damn genius. The fact that he was a fan of the Muppets and would do their show is awesome! By the way, the Frogfather sketch in the bonus features is priceless. Kermit with cotton in his mouth? Fozzini Bearsino? Priceless! :D

I skipped the Belafonte one for now.

darthvyn
03-24-2003, 07:06 PM

I skipped the Belafonte one for now.

that one is so good though... he's so into the idea of the creatures and such... he's really talking TO them. you could tell he was just having such a good time. it's a great episode...

Eternal Padawan
03-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
that one is so good though... he's so into the idea of the creatures and such... he's really talking TO them. you could tell he was just having such a good time. it's a great episode...

You've convinced me. I'll grab it the next time I'm out. :)