PDA

View Full Version : Anakin's Father in Episode II!!!

Queen Katharine Leah
08-17-2001, 08:28 PM
I truly believe so, but first...
I am confused with then new forums...where can I pick a picture to represent me??? The only choices I see are faces and thumbs. What's up with that???

Now for the goods!

Darth Vader means Dark Father. We all know that. Who named him that? More importantly, WHY?

It always meant that he was the dark father of Luke, and later we would learn of Leia too. Did he come up with the name Darth Vader? Was he proud that he was a dad, therefore he chose that handle? I think not.

I think when Ani makes the turn to the Dark Side, Palpatine/Sidious give him the title Darth Vader because of the revelation that Anakin HAS a dark father. A mysterious past. We will learn in Episode II that there was a father. Will it be Empire style, and Palpy say that he is Ani's Dad? Maybe. Or possibly a dying Shmi whispers to Anakin with her dying breathes to find his father. Could the father be a Dark Jedi, or one of the Lost 20? Someone of consequence, you would think.

Either way, the name Darth Vader will take greater meaning, and a reverse foreshadowing, in that it pays homage to Anakin's ancestry, not Luke and Leia's father.

That's my first post in these new forums, hopefully the coding doesn't screw it up too much! Way to be an innovator SSG!!! Now where's my facial icons?

the master jedi
08-17-2001, 09:48 PM
I've always thought of Darth as a Sith Lord title and the sith chose the second part of the name. I don't think that vader considers himself a dark father 'cause i don't think he knew he had kids until the ANH-RotJ era. I think Darth Vader means Dark Father because he's lukes evil father.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 04:05 AM
Darth is a Sith title, but I'm not sure if it was always intended to be so.

Vader sounds and looks a lot like vater , the German word for father, but GL said it's all just coincidence. Vader is taken from Invader and GL just liked the way it sounded.

As for the possibility of Anakin having a father, when Shmi claimed ther was no father the only explaination she gave was "I can't explain what happened." Does this mean that she doesn't know or has sworn not to tell?

If she's hiding something then maybe her rumoured death is more than just a random encounter with a Tusken Raider. Maybe it's arranged.

Or maybe I'm just too tired to think straight.

Rollo Tomasi
08-18-2001, 04:37 AM
HA! We all know Luke's grandfather was a midichlorian.

Rollo Tomassi
08-18-2001, 01:05 PM
Yup. The immaculate conception theory is lamer than a hobbled horse. Shimi's race can actually produce offspring without conception, but when they do get frisky, it produces twins. Hence Luke and Leia, Jacen and Jaina...She didn't know this of course because she was a slave from such a young age and didn't know where she came from...it all goes back to the colonization of Tattooine. The Tusken Colonization Corporation landed a dozen or so huge Colonization transports "The Skywalker, The Darklighter, the Farlander, the Whitesun, the uhhhh...the...Lars (Okay so Cleigg was an immigrant) and bunches of others on Tatooine and set up Fort Tusken. The crews of the various craft were given last names of the ships they had come on in standard colonization practice. About the same time the Hutts realized the potential of Tatooine as a way station between trade routes and sent Jabba there to start slavery/smuggling enterprises there. Soon after, the indiginous sandpeople attacked Fort Tusken and Shimi's grandfather Kane Skywalker was killed in the attack and the sandpeople were given the name Tusken Raiders. Shimi's mother was taken as a slave and Shimi was born into slavery as was her son, Anakin. So there you have it, a perfectly logical explanation why Anakin has no father. Genetics.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 06:44 PM
Avatars, over 100 of them, can be found in your User Control Panel, under Edit Options. The yellow graphics are just for each individual post.

Here's what I wrote back in February on the possibility of meeting Anakin's Father:

Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi knight who doesn't always follow the code, learns about the prophecy of the son of suns and gets wrapped up in the concept of the boy who will bring balance to the Force. Qui-Gon does a lot of societal research about the galaxy - planets, customs, politics, etc. - and eventually zeroes in on the Outer Rim, then goes to Tatooine where he finds an unknown lass (Shmi) and decides to make a play to get her knocked up. Then the Jedi, in disguise, clouds her mind and beats a hasty retreat. Almost as soon as Qui-Gon returns to the Jedi order, he's given a new padawan learner, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the teaching of this youngster the ways of the Force distracts Jinn from concentrating on his real son until he is sent to Naboo (Tatooine being in a straight line between Coruscant and this Naboo), where he sabotages the Queen's starship, let's his apprentice "find" Tatooine as a safe haven, and manipulates the situation to make sure he gets the ship to this planet and even parks the royal starship near the city where his slave woman was last. These actions cause his path to make a hard detour towards the dark side, and his ability to join with the Force at death is cut off by his self-serving deeds.

I don't think this is how it will be, but it's a possibility anyway, and seems kinda interesting to me. A slight twist on the "Luke, I am your father!" for Ep 2 or 3.

2-1B
08-18-2001, 06:57 PM
Very intriguing.

In this theory, what is the view of Yoda and the other Jedi? They are present at Qui-Gon's funeral pyre. What do they make of his non-disappearing act? Are their general feelings on the matter vindicated, or are they aware of his precise actions that led to his corruption?

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
In this theory, what is the view of Yoda and the other Jedi? They are present at Qui-Gon's funeral pyre. What do they make of his non-disappearing act? Are their general feelings on the matter vindicated, or are they aware of his precise actions that led to his corruption? Very good questions, I'm going to post my theories, but I think I'd like to hear yours as well. :)

I think Yoda and the others are dimly aware that Qui-Gon has performed some shenanigans to get the boy to where he is in front of the council, but I don't think they really understand how far Qui-Gon went. They accept his ways not fully following the code and are somewhat tolerant of his dabblings in what they feel are personal interest items, which is why they give him a new Padawan to train when he gets back, they know he's scheming and this type of thing will bring him shame. This shame and "corruption" of QGJ's spirit is what leads him away from the embrace of the Force upon his death, and while it is a sad day for the Jedi council, I don't think they're 100% surprised by his lack of becoming one with the Force.

Of course, in this theory, it's possible to see why Yoda and the others would feel somewhat responsible for not guiding QGJ back to the light side, and thus give in to his dying wish to let Obi-Wan train Anakin, nobody knowing that QGJ's actions and the Jedi Council's reactions really have created the very prophecy they feared and misinterpretted.

2-1B
08-19-2001, 04:54 PM
If Qui-Gon was up to something, I don't think the story could work if the Council knew precisely what he was doing. We know from Obi-Wan in TPM that Qui-Gon is a maverick. My impression is that since they were already experienced in dealing with his actions, there must have been a proverbial groan when he brought an older boy before them. The selection process was very structured, and for a Jedi who's already on the fringe of normal behavior, well, it's no surprise that the boy he found is dangerous. If they knew how far he went, I think the Council's wisdom is little of what it's supposed to be.

I wonder what Yoda thought of Qui-Gon's hypothesis that Anakin might have been conceived by the midichlorians?

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 05:35 PM
Yoda probably thought Qui-Gonn was a fool. I think the whole midichlorian idea was a simple theory, that many of the Jedi Council held little faith in, especially Yoda.

GNT
08-21-2001, 04:23 AM
I bet Qui-Gon or Palpatine is Anakins Father:D

Qui-Gon was just covering the facts by using the force!

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 05:38 AM
Yeah, the council wouldn't stand for that stuff if they knew what Qui-Gon was really up to, but my theory is they know that he's up to something and it MAY be part of an obsession of his.

I think Yoda doesn't buy the "conceived by the Force" thing, I think if he did, he'd put more credence in the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. But he doesn't, and when Qui-Gon dies, all Yoda can say about the issue to Obi-Wan is "The Chosen One the boy may be". It seems to me that Yoda's line there is really just trying to honor the memory of Qui-Gon instead of stomping on his idea in front of his most loyal supporter.

Obi-Don
08-21-2001, 10:57 AM
I think youall might be on to something.It will be interesting to find out. I not much into the what was suppose to have happened. I think the Emp. had alot to do with it.;)

BenQuad
08-21-2001, 09:02 PM
Strictly speaking though, the "chosen one" prophecy did actually happen - albeit eventually. And balance was brought to the force etc.

No actual father was required, just as the prophecy said.

Personally I think the search for Anakin's father is a total red-herring.

.........some interesting theories though.:cool:

GNT
08-22-2001, 03:13 AM
I guess we will have to wait and see!

2-1B
08-22-2001, 03:29 AM
I wonder if the question of Anakin's paternal origins will be answered at all? Qui-Gon only said it's possible he was conceived by the midichlorians.

Will this remain shrouded in mystery?

JEDIpartner
08-22-2001, 10:56 AM
This thread is completely fascinating. I haven't given this much thought as I figured if I came up with an idea (as good as those you are presenting) and GWL didn't follow through in some fashion I would be rightly disappointly.

My mind's been tainted by your theories... but no bother- I like them all!!! I hope that Uncle George has the imagination you guys have and gives us all a total twister of a plot arc!

Well done, all of you!:)

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 01:19 PM
I don't think we ever found out what the prophecy actually said, did we? We knew it mentioned that it would "bring balance to the Force" and it appears to have some mention about a bending of the Force around someone. It MAY mention that there is a boy conceived by the Midi-chlorians, but Mace's reaction of "You're referring to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force... you believe it's this boy?" could just as easily be referring to Qui-Gon's statement of the boy's high midi-chlorian count, it's not that clear.

I don't know if it's a red herring or if it's just the over-reading (or in my case, under-confidence) of Ep 1's dialogue concerning Anakin's father. I just don't have faith that what Qui-Gon said MUST be true, we know Obi-Wan puts a spin on things for Luke in the CT, so perhaps Obi-Wan got that bad habit from his former master.

I think I'll be a bit disappointed if Lucas choses to leave the facts of Anakin's father in the words of Qui-Gon simply because it's too Christly and makes the Force out to have a "persona" instead of it being an "everywhere" sort of thing.

BenQuad
08-22-2001, 07:11 PM
But is it part of the story? We are all just speculating about the "ifs and if nots", "did he or didn't he", but sadly I feel Anakin's parentage issues may not be answered at all. Lucas may be content to live with the "virgin birth" take and leave the loose ends..........loose.

GNT
08-23-2001, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by BenQuad
But is it part of the story? We are all just speculating about the "ifs and if nots", "did he or didn't he", but sadly I feel Anakin's parentage issues may not be answered at all. Lucas may be content to live with the "virgin birth" take and leave the loose ends..........loose.

Yeah but we can come up with theories! come up with ideas!

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 01:08 PM
Yes, this is all just guessing, but I would HOPE that Lucas had more respect for his story and his audience than to leave it as it is.

El Chuxter
08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Yes, this is all just guessing, but I would HOPE that Lucas had more respect for his story and his audience than to leave it as it is.

Quote of the century, JT. Quote of the century. Funny, funny shtuff.

2-1B
08-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Episode 2 gave us Peg Leg Lars as Anakin's stepfather and also Obi-Wan as Anakin's fatherfigure...how many more daddies does one guy need ? lol

JediTricks
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Quote of the century, JT. Quote of the century. Funny, funny shtuff.
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.