PDA

View Full Version : Sketchtrooper has a new card design?

Jerjerrod
02-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Hey guys,

Check out the new "conceptual" packaging for the new "conceptual" Stormtrooper, courtesy of TradeFederation.net. It looks pretty neat, and by the looks of it, Hasbro may be going back to the small right-side bubble. Yey!

http://www.tradefederation.net/cldata/User_files/3e4335ad3f3274ed.jpg

What do you guys think of it?

Beast
02-06-2003, 11:48 PM
Wow, that is pretty funky. We've been hearing the Clone Wars figures would be on a new style card. And it looks like the SketchTrooper may be also. Of course, it looks kinda weird also. Like it could be a custom. Especially since he'll still have to be packaged with a big bubble, because he's going to be packed with a big "Death Star" floor section base. I'm not even gonna call real or fake on this one, it could go either way. :)

McQ Stormtrooper cardback?
Posted by Jimmy on 06-Feb-2003 at 11:25 PM (EST)

This pic was just sent in to us by "Agent 1177"... This is an alledged cardback for the upcoming McQuarrie Stormtrooper concept figure.

Is this a what we'll see gracing store shelves this fall, or is it a mere custom?

We'll leave that up to you to decide on.

We have no information to indicate this is legitimate (but it's always fun to speculate).

Let us know what you think.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
02-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Looks cool! Can't wait!

Old Fossil
02-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Strange. Hasbro is going all out for this Fan's Choice figure... maybe...

fourtwo
02-07-2003, 01:03 AM
that is semi-interesting
:D
thanks for the link

Banthaholic
02-07-2003, 01:14 AM
this sort of this would actually highly appeal to me, I really like the figures picture on the left side of the card. It's an aspect that drives me towards vintage cards.

bobafrett
02-07-2003, 01:25 AM
I like it! It's a refreshing change to some of the bland figure cards of late.

Jargo
02-07-2003, 08:51 AM
I hate it. Not because it's a bad design or it'll be a drastic change but simply because I detest white and red together. Reminds me of a prom queens dress, white with a red corsage or something. Tacky wedding invitation stuff. I just hate white and red. And i also hate chevron shapes. The chevron with the little pic in it is just naffness personified.

Change the colors please. :)

Rogue II
02-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Colors don't bother me, but I like how they labeled the film on the side. It would make searching for figures on the pegs a bit easier.

evenflow
02-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Its cool, but i think it is a custom job.

plo koon 200
02-07-2003, 11:40 AM
If it is real it is awesome. If it is fake it is still awesome. I really hope this is the card design. In my opinion this is the second best card design right behind the Silver Anniversy TF Vader and R2 which really remind me of vintage.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Looks cool, but I'm just not convinced.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Ok, maybe somebody could clear this up for me: I thought the Clone Wars cartoon was axed and buried, so why make a line of figures for it? Maybe i'm behind on my gossip, but please help me if I'm wrong. So, we'd have our usual Saga Figures as well as Clone Wars Cartoon figures around??? Would these figures be more of "animated" design or the regular kinda color scheme? So many questions! thanks! :D

Kidhuman
02-07-2003, 12:05 PM
That packaging looks pretty cool. Alot better than the current Saga cards.

sith_killer_99
02-07-2003, 12:13 PM
I also remain unconvinced.:crazed:

:Pirate:

Beast
02-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Ok, maybe somebody could clear this up for me: I thought the Clone Wars cartoon was axed and buried, so why make a line of figures for it? Maybe i'm behind on my gossip, but please help me if I'm wrong. So, we'd have our usual Saga Figures as well as Clone Wars Cartoon figures around??? Would these figures be more of "animated" design or the regular kinda color scheme? So many questions! thanks! :D
The cartoon does seem to be dead, but that's not stopping the event. The Clone Wars will be told in real time up until E3. And they are being told in a massive industry crossover, similar to the Shadows of the Empire event. Books, comics, video games, toys, and the still possible but unlikely Cartoon. As for the figures, they will probably use the movie looks for the charecters, since that's what they did with Shadows and the other EU stuff. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-07-2003, 02:05 PM
JJB- K, i appreciate the clarfication!! It didn't even dawn on me that they would do this like SOTE. I enjoyed that series very much, so this might be good as well. Thanks! cheers!! :D

Jerjerrod
02-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Also make sure to check out Darkhorse's Star Wars: Republic #50 this month. It's double-sized, and should start the important events in the Clone Wars. It started in #49, but things are sure to pick up in #50. Like SOTE, this line of toys will be great to see in production, even better because of Hasbro's improvements in the accuracy of their sculpting jobs as of late. :crazed:

Turbowars
02-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Oh come on EJ, you hate everything (I'm J/K dude;)) I love it. I would love a all white card. With that said I totaly thinks it's a fake. CRAP! Oh and it would also be awesome to have a whole line of Concept figures, you know Luke, Han & Yoda!!! It will have to happen sooner or later, I mean Hasbro has until 2018.

stillakid
02-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerjerrod
Hey guys,

Check out the new "conceptual" packaging for the new "conceptual" Stormtrooper, courtesy of TradeFederation.net. It looks pretty neat, and by the looks of it, Hasbro may be going back to the small right-side bubble. Yey!

http://www.tradefederation.net/cldata/User_files/3e4335ad3f3274ed.jpg

What do you guys think of it?

It's way too interesting and original to be an actual Hasbro creation. Too bad. I haven't really liked any of the new card designs. I'd much rather they return to the vintage days with production stills of the characters on the cards...or do something like the above.

Jargo
02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
No I really like the saga cards for the simplicity and clarity. I also think this new card design here, has a terrible pinky bit that looks like either champagne with bubbles or a christmas card with snow when I think it's supposed to look like stars. It really doesn't work apart from the side bar with movie title. It's too light to fit in with all the other cards. too different. I don't see how the saga cards can be seen as bland when this one is just so dull. "ooooh pastels...!!" If I saw this in a store i'd pass it by because it doesn't stand out. Look at the previous cards and they all shout at you from the pegs whereas this is like a hideous wallpaper from the 1980's.
But that's only my humble little opinion. :D And I too think it's a collectors mock up or a concept only. This would most likely sell well to adult collectors but it doesn't really speak to kids does it, and hasbro do make the toys for kids as they keep informing us..... :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Eh, it's allright. I'd hate for them to go back to a small bubble now, cause that'd mean hardly any accessories anymore. I hope this is fake, cause it'd be stupid to make a new card for just 1 figure. Whatever, I'm just not too fond of the idea.

Tycho
02-07-2003, 06:31 PM
You guys don't get it, do you?

The card is white and red because the Sketchtrooper is obviously Itallian, and he's saying "Thank God It's Friday!"

This might be offered as a with-purchase-of-pizza exclusive.:D

Jargo
02-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Isn't pizza an American invention not an Italian one. :p

They aren't going to go to all the trouble of making a printing plate just for one cardback. They'll do one for the clone wars in rust or whatever color was rumored because there's a ton of stuff coming o those cards, and they'll stick with this blue for regular stuff until the next movie, with subtle changes to it for each year like the change from last years swirls to this years starburst. This white card is just silly. SILLY SILLY SILLY hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... :crazed:

oh. :sur:

Rogue II
02-07-2003, 09:43 PM
I don't get it. What does red and white have to do with being Italian? The Italian flag is red, white, and green. The Italian national soccer (football for the non-Americans;)) is blue and white. Yes, pizza is an American creation.

Stillakid has a point. It is much too interesting to be a Hasbro creation. It doesn't matter though, I'm still not buying the Sketchtrooper.

The Saga cards are ok. There are some other toys that come on a similar colored blue card. Those toys make me do a double-take when I'm cruisin' the toy aisle. So, a color change wouldn't break my heart. I'd rather have Hasbro put their time and money into developing the figures themselves.

DarthBrandon
02-07-2003, 10:26 PM
This new card design reminds me of Strawberry Shortcake, I just don't like the look of it at all for a S.W. card. If it is real I hope it does not make the production run.

As for Pizza the answer is no, it was not an American invention.

By far pizza has become America's favorite food over the past 50 years. Million of pizza pies are eaten daily, but how often do the people eating the food stop to consider the history. The true origins of this fine cuisine are as colorful as any good pizza pie heaping with toppings.

The common belief is that Italians invented the pizza, however the origins go back to the ancient times. Babylonians, Israelites, Egyptians and other ancient Middle Eastern cultures were eating flat, un-leaven bread that had been cooked in mud ovens. The bread was much like a pita, which is still common in Greece and the Middle East today. Further it is known that ancient Mediterranean people such as the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians were eating the bread, topped seasoned with olive oil and native spices.

The lower class of the Naples, Italy is believed to have created pizza in a more familiar fashion. In the late 1800s a Italian baker named Raffaele Esposito, was believed to have created a dish for visiting royalty. According to the story, the Italian monarch King Umberto and his consort, Queen Margherita were touring the area. In order to impress them and to show his patriotic fervor Raffaele chose to top flat bread with food that would best represent the colors of Italy: red tomato, white mozzarella cheese and green basil. The king and queen were so impressed that word quickly reached the masses. The end results were that the dish was well received to the extent that others began to copy it.

By the beginning of the 1900's pizza made it's way to the inner cities United States, thanks to Italian immigrants, most notably New York and Chicago, due to those cities having large Italian populations. Small cafes began offering the Italian favorite. American soldiers further prompted the dish to become very popular at the end of World War II, having been exposed to it while serving on the Italian front.

Today pizza has become just as American as baseball and apple pie. Only because of its most recent origins is it considered an Italian dish. Huge U.S. based multi-billion dollar corporations should be thankful for the development along with poor college students who can appreciate the fine dining experience pizza has given them.

bobafrett
02-08-2003, 12:49 AM
I deliver pizza's to support my Star Wars habit, but it's much better than doing drugs or spending hours at a bar!

Chiesa
02-08-2003, 02:06 AM
I'm still not convinced about the card as being a original Hasbro product. Looks like a very well done custom.

Thanks for the info about pizza Brandon. :)

JediTricks
02-08-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Isn't pizza an American invention not an Italian one. :p No, pizza is indeed Italian, it was brought to the US at the turn of the 20th century via a small restaurant in New York city that used the traditional coal-fired oven for ultra-hot temperatures which are vital to good pizza. The pizza was the Italian equivelent of the Mexican burrito though, a simple cheap lower-class food that eventually was modified to American tastes via different crusts, toppings, etc.. In other words, what brandon said except that pizza dough is leavened. ;)

And this card looks pretty unique but way too interesting to be a product Hasbro puts out, I'll be surprised if this is the real McCoy.

JangoFart
02-08-2003, 04:47 AM
I'm gunna buck the trend and say it's original work by Hasbro and very interesting. My estimation is that it was part of a presentation to Lucasfilm for a "look what we're gunna do to the line, don't you wanna let us keep the license" type of thing in light of recent news.

Maybe there are some actual artists at Hasbro.

J

Jargo
02-08-2003, 09:09 AM
But that's the problem with the saga line, too many artists and not enough craftsmen. It's all the 'artistry' that's screwing everything up. They want to get artistic go work for Hallmark. They're supposed to be making toys not figurines for a glass cabinet display. Artists my backside! Save the novelty gimmicks for christmas cracker novelty trinkets and remember what it is your making you darn bozos! Artistic license my foot! PAH!!!!!

Turbowars
02-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II

I'm still not buying the Sketchtrooper.

I told myself that to,(mostly because of the poll) but if you think about it, this figures is a true piece of SW history. I'd love to see a whole line based on EARLY (only OT)concept.

TheDarthVader
02-08-2003, 02:14 PM
I believe this card is custom. It is too nice to be from hasbro. I still like the blue cards that are in use now. I did like the POTF2 green and red cards until they stopped making them. Oh well.

DarthBrandon
02-08-2003, 02:43 PM
But that's the problem with the saga line, too many artists and not enough craftsmen. It's all the 'artistry' that's screwing everything up. They want to get artistic go work for Hallmark. They're supposed to be making toys not figurines for a glass cabinet display. Artists my backside! Save the novelty gimmicks for christmas cracker novelty trinkets and remember what it is your making you darn bozos! Artistic license my foot! PAH!!!!!

I know what you're talking about EJ; a lot of figures are just riddled with gimmicks like Jango Final Battle. This could have been an excellent figure, but what did they do, they put this giant spring-loaded fireball on his arms and forgot to keep his blaster holsters open so you could put them in. So I passed on him at first, then I got the idea to make this figure the way I wanted him so I bought one and took the fireball arm off, drilled the holster out (1 only because the second isn't to scale with the figure) and replaced the fireball arm with the one from the deluxe figure which I junked because it was horrible. I then cut the hand off and drilled a hole in his stump to put the turning hand back on (that came with the fireball arm) which in my opinion looks way better than the version Hasbro churned out.

Here is a finished pic of Jango Final Battle the way I thought it should have been done.

DarthBrandon
02-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Here is second pic:)

Jerjerrod
02-08-2003, 04:14 PM
His pose in pic #2 is too funny. :D

The first pic looks great. Great job!

DarthBrandon
02-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerjerrod
His pose in pic #2 is too funny. :D

The first pic looks great. Great job!

Yeah, it was kinda hard to decide how to show him when he's dead on a scanner.:D

Jargo
02-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Yers, i'm waiting to see how the new deluxe jango turns out before i do my own customised one. I like bits on all the figures of him but not an entire figure. I need to wait for several to be around so I can pick and choose which ones to buy to get the nicest choicest parts. Kamino escape and final battle both have nice bits but I'm still not entirely happy with all the bits and I think the legs on final battle look funny. Nice custom though Brandon. :)
I decided to take the attitude that all the core characters are going to be poo this year so I'll concentrate on army building and background characters then decide at the years end which core character sculpts I like. no sense wasting money on a figure if a better one comes along the following quarter. Wish i'd taken that attitude last year now. i said i would but it didn't work out that way because i bought a lot of stuff for accessories and just ended up with the figures by default.
Straying from the topic...
There's one reason i don't think this is a genuine cardback and that's that hasbro changed the cards to something without pictures on the front because it means they use the same printing plate on all figures and only have to change the plates for the back and the insert. It saves them money. This card here would mean having to have a new printing plate for every figure which costs more. If it had been movie title only without the pictorial reference then i might have thought it a possible. It's too specific to one character. And as for the clone wars cards all they have to do is use the saga card printed in a different color and still save money by not changing anything but the insert and back. Thus helping keep the cost of figures down. maybe not by very much, but every little helps *as the blind said as he pee-ed in the ocean* :p

Turbowars
02-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Ah come on, Hasbro is just a cheep bastard of a company. For years we got specific cards for figures and now it cost to much. Hell, I want a nice card! I'll pay a little extra since I'm going to be buried with my collection I want a classy card.

JangoFart
02-09-2003, 02:47 AM

Well, that's both well-reasoned and articulate. Perhaps when you hold the rights to the SW world, Hasbro would listen to something like that. Until then, I wouldn't be overly optimistic.

J

LTBasker
02-09-2003, 03:14 AM

You can shorten that by saying you ordered a Van Gogh but got a Picaso. ;) :crazed:

Lewis
02-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Well im not sure about this new card!! but it maybe it will look better once it has the figures on, I hope...:p

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
but if you think about it, this figures is a true piece of SW history. I'd love to see a whole line based on EARLY (only OT)concept. I wholeheartedly agree with that, but then again, I've wanted a Sketchtrooper, Sketch Vader, Sketch2-D2, and Sketchbacca the Sketchiee ;) for quite a while now.

Originally posted by turbowars
For years we got specific cards for figures and now it cost to much. Technically, the cards we are getting are still specific to their figures, but only the cardback. Hasbro prints specific cards for every Saga figure, I guess they're just too cheap, lazy, or disinterested to make a specific fronts to go with the specific backs.

Turbowars
02-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Well I guess they couldn't put a photo on the front, because of the huge crappy bubble on the card. Don't say, if Hasbro went with a small bubble again we wouldn't get as many pack-ins and we would have never had Mon on a basic card. That is BS. The crap that is in the bubbles now is CRAP and thats if we even get something. As for Mon, Hasbro could have used a large bubble just for him, as the did with the POTF2 FF Ewoks. I want the POTF2 back, I'm crying right now, can you tell:( :mad: :frus:

Jerjerrod
02-10-2003, 01:36 AM
I agree with turbo. I personally prefer the smaller bubbles used for POTF2 and POTJ, so that the card front can be character specific, and I can fit more onto my shelf. I am aware that half the collectors like the new big bubble so that more accessories come with the figure, but I think figures are fine without it. All they need is their specific blaster, or lightsaber, or any other single accessory. THAT is what makes the figure good aside from the sculpt itself. There's really no need for platforms and such, not that I'm complaining, but they're just not "necessities". Big accessories should come with deluxe figures, like Leia with Sail Barge (which I think is so cool), not basic singles.

On a side note, I just picked up a POTJ Scout Trooper today, which I think is wonderful: Just a cool figure with a small pistol that fits into his boot holster! The pistol itself looks amazing! THAT is what I'm talking about, as there is no need for any other accessory, nor a platform that resembles dirt and grass. Simple and attractive, THAT is the true essence of basic figures.

Now back on track, I would like to see more "sketch" figures as well, and it IS an important part of Star Wars history.

Jargo
02-10-2003, 07:51 AM
I think they should stay as just that - sketches. I don't trust hasbro to stay true to the art.

Dark Angel
02-10-2003, 08:10 AM
I don't like it, I think it's pants!! I hope they don't bring any figures out with that on the back!! :) :rolleyes:

Lewis
02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Yes im begining to think the same about this card :p

Turbowars
02-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Well guys, since we have seen the new Clone Wars packaging, this card may not be a custom after all. I'm glade, because I'm sick of the blue. Now that white is coming, I hope to see at least on line of Black OT style cards.

Jargo
02-15-2003, 08:10 PM
No, Tradefederation.net did some digging and found out from hasbro that it isn't one of theirs. They posted a couple of days ago. It's a clever custom job after all. Perhaps if the saga line is put on temporary hold when the clone wars thing starts up when we shift back to saga they'll change the cards for 2004 and use something similar to the clone wars cards but in the blue, a sort of crossover thing, that way you'd get a change but it'd still have marketplace recognition value. Keep the white and the black bar up the side of the card but change the rusty orange for the blue again. I don't know if that would work or not. Maybe they could keep the blue from the saga cards and change the white for black?

Beast
02-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks Jargo, I hadn't checked TradeFederation.net lately. Nice to see that the card design was proved false. While I do like the current blue cards, I really like your idea for the new cards for next year, Jargo. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Crap. I liked that card, mostly because of the photo on front. I don't understand why many of you guys don't like the OT style, heck how about the POTF2. If it's because of the bubble size, well I say BS. The extra stuff that has been included (if any)has been cheap. Ephant could have had a big bubble just for himself, Oh and remember it's only MHO.:D

Jargo
02-15-2003, 08:37 PM
I don't like the vintage style because it's the vintage style. I like things to move forward, but not too drastically. I can't understand why anyone would want to buy stuff on packaging the has the same design as stuff from 1978. It was fine back then but it looks stale now. The only change i'd like to see is for the cards to have a better hook in them so they don't fall off the pegs when you go rifling through them to find that elusive one per case figure. It's so annoying to knock a complete pegsworth of figures tumbling to the floor with just one slight wrong move.

But the center blister works for me. symmetry is so pleasing on the eye. Also doesn't matter which side you come in at on the pegs you can see the figure. If the blister is off center you can only see the figure if you come at them from one side while they're on the pegs and when the pegs are high and they're crammed in there tight it's hard to reach those back figures and see them. Especially if you're 'large child' sized like me. :D

I like the new styles a lot. both artisticaly and practically.

jad
02-15-2003, 10:54 PM
I personally like the vintage designs because thats what I grew up with as a kid. I guess it's nostalgic reasons. I've always thought, as a graphics designer, that the retro designs were actually pretty cool. Especially the late POTF line from 1984. The few vehicles and mini rigs that were released even had original painted art work on the package, it was really some cool stuff.

Of course I like to see people use some of the new techniques too, thats why I think the sample of the clone wars packaging (specifically for the Fed. Tank) is sorta a perfect mix between retro nostalgia and fresh new graphics. I think it would be pretty eye grabbing to a kid too. If I was 4 to 10 years old and saw it at the store I'd instantly want it. Heck I instantly want it now! :)