PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice

BountyHunter
11-10-2001, 02:42 PM
Does a Jedi or Sith HAVE to take on an apprentice? Would they have to, to keep the Jedis alive? Which doesn't make much sence since any normal organism can't become a jedi. Which is because not everyone can silence their mind, or doesn't have a mediclhorine count. Any thoughts?

bigbarada
11-10-2001, 03:00 PM
As Qui-Gonn stated midichlorians reside in all living cells, thus everyone does have a midichlorian count. I don't think the midichlorian count really has a big effect on how great of a Jedi you can be (but it would seem to help) however the ability to silence your mind would seem to be key.

As for the topic of this post I don't think it is required of Jedis or Sith to take on apprentices. Not everyone is cut out to be a teacher, so something like this would be purely voluntary. However, I would guess it would be HIGHLY recommended of a Jedi to train a padawan but not necessary.

I think a Sith would only take on an apprentice if he saw it would further his own goals in some way. Why risk training someone who could kill you later on if you really didn't need to?

Rollo Tomassi
11-11-2001, 11:06 AM
'Always two there are, a master and an apprentice..."

So when the Master kicks the bucket, the apprentice becomes the master and has to start shopping for a new apprentice. how do you think they survived these last 1000 years without the Jedi knowing? If one of them had decided "Pshaw...I don't need an apprentice..." then the Sith would've died out AGAIN. So, yes, every Sith Master takes on an apprentice...

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2001, 03:07 PM
How else are they gonna learn? Not too easy to find ancient Sith documents or Holocrons. Maybe that's one possible way Anakin turns from the Light Side, by refusing to continue as a Padawan. But then he'd become a Sith Apprentice, so he loses either way. Never mind.

BountyHunter
11-11-2001, 06:40 PM
But the sith were extinct (Hiding) for 1000 years, accordign to Ki-Adi-Mundi. Yet, Maybe the only sith around were Darth Sidious and Darth Maul, Darth Maul now being dead, Darth Sidious must take on a new apprentince, I think that the sith were extinct for a while, the only true sith alive for the moment was Darth Sidious.

Rollo Tomassi
11-12-2001, 12:07 AM
Well, according to Sith Lore, the Sith all but wiped themselves out trying to gain power for themselves. The one Sith who remaines, Darth Bane decided that instead of building up the Sith ranks and having the whole process repeat itself, he would take on ONE apprentice and they would pass the mantle down thru the generations in secret and hiding from the Jedi until they were powerful enough to destroy them once and for all. That happened when Sidious came to power.

BountyHunter
11-13-2001, 05:05 PM
I know lots of you guys hate EU, but I was reading this Outlander comic, and in there it had that it is a Sith trait to take on an apprentice, so I think that as far as the Sith go, it is a tradition.

Obi-Don
11-16-2001, 10:30 AM
I think its the only way to really pass on the trade of Jedi or Sith.You have to learn somehow and the easy way is for someone to teach you.It took Luke a long time to get where he was at and I think he would have been more powerful sooner if he had someone to teach him from the start. Obi-Wan died way to soon to do much good and I don't think Yoda had enogh time to train Luke like he should of been trained.

JediTricks
11-17-2001, 03:19 AM
A Sith MUST, it's plainly obvious why, but I think a Jedi can do without taking a padawan, there appear to be a lot of Jedi in the Ep 1 days, so just because Ki-Adi-Mundi doesn't pass on the Jedi skills, that doesn't mean that padawan will go without, he can look to Eeth Koth or Plo Koon or a dozen other Jedi who just sit on their butts and go to important functions. ;)

sith_killer_99
11-17-2001, 01:19 PM
Yes, indeed the Sith Lord must take an apprentice at some point, that is in fact how the sith managed to exist in hiding for so long.

However, it is possible for a powerful DEAD Sith Lord to pass on the secrets of the Sith.

Then there are the Dathomir witches? But that's another story.

As for the Jedi, I believe that they were expected, but not required to take on an apprentice. Yoda did not ALWAYS have an apprentice, neither did Obi-Wan.

It gets a little confusing. :stupid:

It's kinda like...A priest, a Minister, and a Rabi are in a boat...;)

evenflow
11-17-2001, 01:56 PM
I say eventually you would have to take an apprentice. This not anly helps to teach someone else, but would also further one's own wisdom. :)

BountyHunter
11-18-2001, 07:48 AM
so just because Ki-Adi-Mundi doesn't pass on the Jedi skills, that doesn't mean that padawan will go without, he can look to Eeth Koth or Plo Koon or a dozen other Jedi who just sit on their butts and go to important functions.
__________________________________________________ __
Actually Ki-Adi-Mundi Takes on an apprentice (A'Sharad Hett) After the death of his father Sharad Fett, who was a great jedi warrior until he became one with the Tusken Raiders.

JediTricks
11-19-2001, 12:59 AM
BH, it was just an example. ;)

BountyHunter
11-19-2001, 03:31 PM
I know, just trying to show of my star wars wisdom

JEDIpartner
11-29-2001, 12:14 PM
One to hold the ladder and one to screw in the lightbulb...

Why so many Jedi?
One to hold the ladder, one WAITING to screw in the lightbulb and all the others standing around while Mace and Yoda discuss the whole thing in a committee!