PDA

View Full Version : Are these "Space Troopers"?



stillakid
02-07-2003, 05:48 PM
I know I've seen some kind of explanation for what these guys (in the attached photo) are, but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have the official word on it? Are they specially outfitted "space stormtroopers" or just Stormtroopers who look a little different just because they are so small in frame? Thanks.

Beast
02-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Cool!! Thanks Stillakid. I've been trying to find a decent picture of these guys for ages. I've never seen any official word as to their existance, but I noticed them along time ago. Most people I've heard, do refer to them as "SpaceTroopers".

And they do appear to be wearing larger backpacks, and I believe they also have hoses running from their helmet to their backpacks. See, this is what Hasbro should have put in the poll instead of the "SketchTrooper". Man, and people thought Ishi Tib was a obscure charecter. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
02-07-2003, 06:28 PM
I thought Space Troopers were an EU creation. Those look like Stormtroopers standing inside of the Magnetic Field. The starwars.com doesn't have anything about Space Troopers in the database.

stillakid
02-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Cool!! Thanks Stillakid. I've been trying to find a decent picture of these guys for ages. I've never seen any official word as to their existance, but I noticed them along time ago. Most people I've heard, do refer to them as "SpaceTroopers".

And they do appear to be wearing larger backpacks, and I believe they also have hoses running from their helmet to their backpacks. See, this is what Hasbro should have put in the poll instead of the "SketchTrooper". Man, and people thought Ishi Tib was a obscure charecter. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You're welcome! :) I grabbed the still from my DVD copies of the OT (the one's available from various sources on EBay. Audio sucks, but at least I can get good stills.) It's all part of my "Definitive Collection" project that I mentioned a while back which I'm tentatively calling the "Progress Report." In any case, I'll keep digging around my stuff. There must be some storyboard sketch buried somewhere that explains these.

stillakid
02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
I just blew that part of the shot up a bit...


if you squint your eyes a bit, you get a slightly better sense of the detail.

Beast
02-07-2003, 06:48 PM
They both are definatly wearing backpacks of some sort. Can't tell about the hoses, I would have to check my laserdiscs to see if I can see them better on there. Thanks for the blow-up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

12inch Lando
02-07-2003, 07:01 PM
The backpacks are definitely bigger. So is the gaping hole where the helmet ends and the neck begins. Maybe this was the first and last use of this space suit design. Kinda like putting screen doors on a submarine.

LTBasker
02-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah they're connecting by hoses, you can't see it very well but you can see excess black on the sides of one of the helmets. I'd guess they're just Stormtroopers with pressurized suits and the backpacks. We already know they have packs that can attach to adverage Stormtrooper armor from the Sandtroopers.

They probably don't all have their suits pressurized, considering Han and Luke's sets of armor didn't have any special head gloves and I heard theres a trooper on Bespin who gets his helmet knocked around his head. They're probably just pressurized and put with those air packs when they're on duty for something like that.

stillakid
02-07-2003, 07:55 PM
I'm still digging around for something official, but in the meantime I got to wondering if maybe this Space Trooper from Heir to the Empire (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=238) was based on the guys in the frame above.

Based on the frame itself, I'd venture to say that they just stuck a couple extras in the standard armor then put an arbitrary backpack and some pool hose on them for the shot knowing they'd be very small.

12inch Lando
02-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Just what the heck is the purpose of having a spacetrooper patroling the surface of the Death Star anyway? If they were maintainence guys welding somthing that would be one thing but... Just how many surface patrols does a space station that size requier anyway?

LTBasker
02-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Well they probably keep a steady on incoming ships, the turrets are pretty slow turning. So if there was a tiny personal craft that was ordered to be destroyed, then they'd probably be the ones to gun it down or try to at least.

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 10:38 PM
Maybe it'd be on ceremony, having "armed guards" at the big gateways of the station. Obviously these little shrimpy dudes aren't going to mean squat to even a small fighter like an X-wing.

Jargo
02-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Scale. It's to help show the scale of the place.

Darkross
02-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I thought Space Troopers were an EU creation. Those look like Stormtroopers standing inside of the Magnetic Field. The starwars.com doesn't have anything about Space Troopers in the database.

That's what I always thought too...or at least they were standing infront of a large viewport from a tower or something. As far as their purpose...they are merely there to show the size of those huge batteries and the size of falcon in comparison to the DeathStar. Personally, I don't buy into the fact that they are space-troopers...however that doesn't mean that they aren't. Maybe some kind of prototype armor as someone also mentioned. Who knows...???

stillakid
02-12-2003, 12:50 PM
EJ most likely hit the nail on the head for why they are there.

Interesting thing in these storyboards (The Art of Star Wars, ANH). In the third one down, the Stormtroopers appear to be inside. You can see the dark outline of what appears to be one of those large bay windows. But these guys are wearing the "backpack." They are still in the standard Stormtrooper helmet.

In the next panel, they definitely appear to be "outside" as we see in the actual film and the next photo...

stillakid
02-12-2003, 12:52 PM
This is a painted illustration also from The Art of Star Wars on the next page. Again, they appear to be specially outfitted and are definitely outside.

stillakid
02-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
EJ most likely hit the nail on the head for why they are there.

Interesting thing in these storyboards (The Art of Star Wars, ANH). In the third one down, the Stormtroopers appear to be inside. You can see the dark outline of what appears to be one of those large bay windows. But these guys are wearing the "backpack." They are still in the standard Stormtrooper helmet.

In the next panel, they definitely appear to be "outside" as we see in the actual film and the next photo...

Though, I was just looking at the boards again and the one that looks to be "inside" may very well be. Check the angle and apparent distance from the "exterior" shot. I think that these two boards represent different Stormtroopers and their vantage points of the docking bay.

scruffziller
02-13-2003, 01:51 PM
In that blown up still it looks like the one on the right is playing a saxaphone!!:D

El Chuxter
02-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
In that blown up still it looks like the one on the right is playing a saxaphone!!:D

LOL! Maybe he's Stormy G, the Imperial master of bad smooth jazz. :D

I tend to go with the notion these are equipped for space, but I'm not sure they necessarily would have to be. Wouldn't the Death Star be large enough to sustain an atmosphere (albeit much thinner than our own), and therefore the fully pressurize suits of the Spacetroopers wouldn't be necessary?

stillakid
02-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

I tend to go with the notion these are equipped for space, but I'm not sure they necessarily would have to be. Wouldn't the Death Star be large enough to sustain an atmosphere (albeit much thinner than our own), and therefore the fully pressurize suits of the Spacetroopers wouldn't be necessary?

A storm front over the primary weapon is an interesting notion. :sur:

Could an artifical metal ball that size really sustain an atmosphere of some kind? That is, if someone could generate it in the first place. Hmm.

Beast
02-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Just found somthing intresting, from the Star Wars: Technical Commentaries website. The picture is from the big Star War Chronicles book. I guess this will help settle the discussion. So it's not a "SpaceTrooper", but it is a Stormtrooper equipped for working in the vacuum of space. :)

Stormtroopers are equipped with supplementary air canister backpack for prolonged vacuum work. Normal stormtrooper armour is an airtight spacesuit with enough air to last through a typical combat mission. [SW Chronicles; movie screenshot]

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Just found somthing intresting, from the Star Wars: Technical Commentaries website. The picture is from the big Star War Chronicles book. I guess this will help settle the discussion. So it's not a "SpaceTrooper", but it is a Stormtrooper equipped for working in the vacuum of space. :)

Stormtroopers are equipped with supplementary air canister backpack for prolonged vacuum work. Normal stormtrooper armour is an airtight spacesuit with enough air to last through a typical combat mission. [SW Chronicles; movie screenshot]

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Cool, thanks! I looked it up. The photo is on page 53 for all those keeping score at home. But aside from a description of standard armor, I couldn't find the paragraph you've quoted above. There is actually no caption at all for the photo you've posted.

But there is a concept sketch next to it that shows tubes running from the pack to the mask. The caption there reads:

The design sketch above shows the external breathing apparatus on the stormtrooper costume.


Not sure where the Technical Commentaries folks came up with that above description so I'll keep looking...

LTBasker
02-13-2003, 07:35 PM
There was a custom version of this Stormtrooper over at scum's custom section by Matt Rardon.

http://www.rebelscum.com/toys/mrbreathtrooperback.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/toys/mrbreathstormtrooper.jpg

Looks pretty accurate compared to that chronicles pic, looks like that's what it was based off of for main reference. Nice..

Beast
02-13-2003, 08:39 PM
They probably just extrapoltaed the description, from the picture of the trooper with the extrenal airtank and the picture from the actual movie. We pretty much have a definate answer as to what and why. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
02-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
LOL! Maybe he's Stormy G, the Imperial master of bad smooth jazz. :D

I tend to go with the notion these are equipped for space, but I'm not sure they necessarily would have to be. Wouldn't the Death Star be large enough to sustain an atmosphere (albeit much thinner than our own), and therefore the fully pressurize suits of the Spacetroopers wouldn't be necessary?


YEAH!!!!:D Stormy G!!!!!

I am giggling myself silly!!!!!!

Heck even in the regular photo it looks like he's playing a little black and white saxaphone!!!

stillakid
02-14-2003, 12:39 PM
It looks like they've take info from a couple different sources then took it upon themselves to attach it to the photo above.

The first is a lengthy definition of Stormtroopers from the Star Wars Technical Journal (pg. 77-78).


The standard stormtrooper-uniform consists of a black, temperature controlled body glove, over which is worn a white, shaped, 18 piece anti-blaster cocoon shell. This durable uniform is a practical spacesuit, which will protect its wearer in almost any environment, from total vacuum to extremes in cold and heat for a limited time. Breathable air is normally taken in through filtered vent slots on the forward sides of the uniform helmet, but in emergnency situations -- as in movement underwater or through open space -- a 20-minute atmosphere supply built into the armor's backplate automatically provides the wearer with oxygen....

Just as there are specialized tasks for the Imperial Stormtroopers to perform, so, too, is their armor specialized. Uniform variants include those of the scout trooper, the snowtrooper, the seatrooper (a lightly-armored suit designed for swimming) and the sandtrooper. The armor of the zero-g stormtrooper, used for space combat or when non-airlock boarding of vessels is required, is not so much a uniform as it is a robot suit designed to provide power and air for prolonged periods. Built-in weaponary and laser cutting tools make this soldier quite formidable indeed.

The second comes from Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary (pgs 34-41)

Data File: A power pack and pressurized gas system in the Stormtrooper armor backplate allows a trooper to survive even in the vacuum of space for limited periods. For extended exposure to open space, troopers wear space backpacks with extended life-support capacity. ...

Standard backpack sets can adapt troopers to extreme climates or even the vacuum of space. Component construction allows standard backpack frames to be filled with gear sutied to specific missions, which may include micro-vaporator water-gathering canteens, augmented cooling modules or a wide variety of base camp and field operative equipment...

Data File: Other specialized Imperial Trooper divisions include flying airtroopers, liquid-borne seatroopers, tunneling underminers, and Magma troopers who crush revolts on volcanic mining worlds.

scruffziller
02-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
A storm front over the primary weapon is an interesting notion. :sur:

Could an artifical metal ball that size really sustain an atmosphere of some kind? That is, if someone could generate it in the first place. Hmm.

Well if the mass itself does not produce enough gravity to hold down some oxygen, then all that artifical gravity should do the trick.