PDA

View Full Version : NJO Force Heretic I: Remnant is out now.

12inch Lando
02-07-2003, 05:54 PM
I had no idea it was out already. I found it at Barnes and Nobels today. 413 pages. I'm so far behind on my reading that I probablly won't get started on this on for another week or so.

dr_evazan22
02-07-2003, 07:06 PM
I got to stay home today b/c of the snow and was able to finish it. I've got a few ideas for where the 3 books are going and it sounds like it will be exciting. It really stinks that I have to wait a couple of months for the next installment to arrive.

Eternal Padawan
02-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Any idea what that blurb is for on the inside front cover? Leia, Han , and Chewie on Tatooine? Some mysterious link to Leia's past? Set during the New Jedi Order?!?

Then....

Nothing.

As for Remnant, I only glanced through the first couple of chapters. I decided to set aside what I was currently reading and jump into this. Since I'm spoiler free for Episode III and Hasbro has killed my interest in the toy line, I need this to jump start my SW enthusiasm meter.:cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Any idea what that blurb is for on the inside front cover? Leia, Han , and Chewie on Tatooine? Some mysterious link to Leia's past? Set during the New Jedi Order?!?

Then....

Nothing.

I thought that Tattoine Ghost was supposed to be from the New Republic era, not NJO. Huh? That blurb (blurb is a funny word... blurb, blurb, blurb :rolleyes: ) sounds like the characters involved.

I will begin reading Remnant soon; 4-day weekends from school rock! :)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Ahh... laying on the couch, reading, reading a Star Wars book at that... pure bliss... :zzz:

Story so far has been good (just getting to the battle parts), but I do have one gripe. The chapters are 100+ pages long!!!! The book has a prologue (10+ pgs), and an epilogue (30+ pgs), with four Parts. I like shorter breaks. Oh well.

I also read that the NJO is supposed to wrap up in November of this year. As much as I have been disappointed by the gloom and doom, lets-talk-for-chapters-on-mundane-issues aspects of the books, I feel a little saddened. I just hope we get a return to the trilogy stand-alone series of books from the early days of post-Zahn SW novels.

Sidiously Darth
02-19-2003, 09:51 PM
I finished this book a few days ago. I enjoyed it very much and really didn't have any problems with it. I'm hoping for lots of info on the Unknown Regions and maybe some more Old Republic and Jedi history.

As for the NJO series ending in November, it's been an interesting up and down ride. I wonder if they'll wrap it up all nice and tidy or leave it open. Will the Vong become a permanent part of the galaxy or be wiped out?

I'm also hoping for a couple books on rebuilding the galaxy and maybe cleaning up Coruscant.

Eternal Padawan
02-24-2003, 08:33 AM
page 350: Palleon tells the Vong commander "...The Empire always strikes back." heh. :) I liked that one.

Vortex
02-24-2003, 11:22 AM
I haven't had a chance to dig into the book due to various important home repairs (leaky roof with massive condensation in MN is very bad...especially in the dead of winter.)

But I just wanted to see what everyones thought were, if you read the Insiders review on the books, series and novels...about killing off main characters, story lines, author selections...

They talked about suprises at the end of the NJO series, and that nothing has been established or planned for books or novels after NJO but they were gearing up for pre-episode III things and filler items like Tat. Ghost...almost more of one shot stories that fit into the time lines.

I found it interesting that nothing has been planned for books after the NJO when it concludes in Nov. Makes me wonder if more folks don't die, or if the main crew doesn't opt for full time retirement from galactic saving:) Odds are they see the a cash cow with pre-ep III books and filler books for ep. II.

I will admit I do want the NJO line to come to a conclusion, and a new series to start. The war with vong has gone on long enough. The vong are starting to drift into 2 dimensional characters, and I no longer find them interesting as I once did. I'm ready for a new threat.

I wonder why no one introduced the sii-ruuk into this fight? Would have made an interesting partnership or story line. The sii-ruuk with their spirits in the machine teaming up with the republic to take on machine hating, organics of the vong. The sii-ruuk would have driven the vong crazy.

El Chuxter
02-24-2003, 12:10 PM
The Ssi-Ruuk were supposedly beaten back by the Chiss shortly after Truce at Bakura. Not that everyone hasn't been clamoring for Ssi-Ruuk vs Vong. :)

Yevetha vs Vong didn't quite live up to the expectations. :( RIP, Yevethans. :cry:

Vortex
02-24-2003, 01:04 PM
I must have missed that little blurb of info.

Huh, well I'd still like to see them square off.

I wonder what it would be like if there was a vong essence/soul/life force in a machine...

Bel-Cam Jos
02-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Anybody else see the NJO as a SW universe version of DC Comics' Crisis on Infinite Earths? I think they're trying to flesh out the fringe characters and planets in the EU by having the Y. Vong exterminate them. When Jaster Mareel fights Boba Fett, then we'll know they're out of ideas! :p

I'm about 15-20 pages from finishing. It's fairly well so far, except for the mega-chapters!

Eternal Padawan
02-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Well, Han and Leia are heading to Bakura in the next book, so expect the Ssi-rruk thread to be wrapped up then.

I think Del Rey is going to concentrate on a series of 'Clone Wars' books starring various Jedi and stuff.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Done reading! Some non-spoiler details:
1. I was not surprised at who the "mystery spacer" was.
2. Tahiri seems to be going to be an important character, as I thought earlier.
3. Nom Anor is getting better with every novel.
4. I still love the word Jeedai!
5. So, you can watch a battle and speak via a comlink while in a bacta tank, eh?

Vortex
02-26-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Anybody else see the NJO as a SW universe version of DC Comics' Crisis on Infinite Earths? I think they're trying to flesh out the fringe characters and planets in the EU by having the Y. Vong exterminate them. When Jaster Mareel fights Boba Fett, then we'll know they're out of ideas! :p

I'm about 15-20 pages from finishing. It's fairly well so far, except for the mega-chapters!

Interesting idea about fleshing out planets, but why do in coruscant? Duro, Dantooine, and some on the outer rim is ok, but why coruscant, and why do in established planets. It was bad enough when kyp did in, crap I'm spacing out on the name...but you know what planet I'm talking about.

Its like they erased all the novels hard work on taking coruscant back, and now its like things are back to square one after they did in the 2nd death star.

Do you think they'll do any follow up novels after the NJO series and all the books dealing with mace, and pre ep. III stuff comes out? Or do you personally think the NJO is the end?

I still wonder why they did in Anakin right away. I was lead to believe that he was Luke's heir and a much deeper character than either of his siblings. Then again he was the original product of a semi hokey dark empire II or was it I...I forget... story line. But they really talked him up and didn't do much with him. I was disapointed when they wrote him off.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
Interesting idea about fleshing out planets, but why do in coruscant? Duro, Dantooine, and some on the outer rim is ok, but why coruscant, and why do in established planets. It was bad enough when kyp did in, crap I'm spacing out on the name...but you know what planet I'm talking about.

Its like they erased all the novels hard work on taking coruscant back, and now its like things are back to square one after they did in the 2nd death star.

Do you think they'll do any follow up novels after the NJO series and all the books dealing with mace, and pre ep. III stuff comes out? Or do you personally think the NJO is the end?

I still wonder why they did in Anakin right away. I was lead to believe that he was Luke's heir and a much deeper character than either of his siblings. Then again he was the original product of a semi hokey dark empire II or was it I...I forget... story line. But they really talked him up and didn't do much with him. I was disapointed when they wrote him off.
1. Carrida (sp?) is the planet Kyp used the Sun Crusher on, I think.
2. Coruscant was the crown jewel of the Republic, so it would seem to have been a ripe target for the YV.
3. I do believe the NJO will end.
4. I always felt that Anakin was a "mistake." No, not in that way. But the Dark Empire comic series gave us a child, after the Zahn trilogy gave us twins. So the births had to be fit in somehow. That seems to support my Crisis theory: sweep the confusing details away, and start over.

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2003, 06:59 PM
I can agree with that statement about how after the Vong are gone that it will be like the time following the destruction of Death Star 2, and the Rebellion trying to establish itself as the government of the galaxy. Then again, this series has been quite refreshing with the deaths and how the Republic doesn't ultimately win every battle at the end of the book. That sense of realism (funny I am happy to see realism in a world of fantasy) really made me enjoy this series even more. I too was a bit shocked to see Anakin go, even though I'm not a fan of the Solo children. I can only hope they write something to show how the Republic is going to recover from this mess.

Vortex
02-28-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
1. Carrida (sp?) is the planet Kyp used the Sun Crusher on, I think.
2. Coruscant was the crown jewel of the Republic, so it would seem to have been a ripe target for the YV.
3. I do believe the NJO will end.
4. I always felt that Anakin was a "mistake." No, not in that way. But the Dark Empire comic series gave us a child, after the Zahn trilogy gave us twins. So the births had to be fit in somehow. That seems to support my Crisis theory: sweep the confusing details away, and start over.

Yea that's where the military academy was that his brother went to.

Coruscant, I was hoping the republic would have defended it better or staved off the onlaught, but would have taken a huge beating in the process. Seems weird that the fight for thier home planet wasn't as fierce as it should have been. Unless it was ment to symbolize the bottom of the tragedy arc.

So when you say NJO will end, do you mean, all over for good. Last book in the series is the final for events x number of years after endor and the rest is left to imagination or do you think they'll start up some line that explores the unknown regions...

I hope they don't go there, I've got too many stories and memories from the star wars rpg that dealt with the unknown regions. Call me shelfish but I'd rather hang onto some of those story lines. The DM was great at adventures...

THE Slayer
03-13-2003, 04:15 PM
so does the NJO end w/ remnant part 3? or is there going to be another hardcover after that.

The only thing I've been really dissapointed in was, the offing of Vergere, she was one of, if not the best, of my favs. I also am starting to like Tahiri but her personality seems a little jumpy from book to book, you can definitely tell different authors using the same character.
Nom Anor, The Prophet, deserves and action figure!!!!!

El Chuxter
03-13-2003, 04:49 PM
There's the three (or is that two?) books of the Force Heretic mini-series, then a stand-alone paperback called The Last Prophecy around August. (Given the name and what's going on on Coruscant/Yuuzhantar, my bet is this will focus on Nom Anor.) Then the series ends with a hardcover, the name of which slips my mind, in November.

Vortex
03-13-2003, 04:54 PM
The Unifying Force??? Is that the last book????

Eternal Padawan
03-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
The Unifying Force??? Is that the last book????

Yes. Except without all the question marks.