PDA

View Full Version : Millions of people just heard Ep 2 was "boring and slow"

JediTricks
02-07-2003, 07:07 PM
During the Michael Jackson documentary which aired on ABC last night in the US, there is a moment from last summer when Jackson and his 6-year-old son are in a Las Vegas elevator with the documentary interviewer Martin Bashir and his cameras. The interviewer notices Jackson's son Prince Michael I is wearing Star Wars shoes and asks him about them. Here's what transpired:

Bashir: I see you've got the Star Wars shoes.
Prince: Not Part 2.
Bashir: Not Part 2?
Prince: Nuh uh. Dad got these for me.
Bashir: Oh right.
Prince: He got me Spider-Man shoes too.
Bashir: What's he been telling you about not Part 2? Why don't you like Star Wars Part 2?
Prince: Because it's boring and slow.
Bashir: Right. And what makes you think you're qualified to make such a strong judgement?
Prince: (confused look)
Michael Jackson (clarifying to Prince): What makes you think you're right about that. You're sure you're right?
Prince: (nods)
Bashir: He has a good point.The whole time this transpired, Jackson had a look on his face like he agreed with his son on the issue. At least 27 million households reportedly watched this interview last night and heard that rather unfavorable viewpoint about Attack of the Clones. Obviously this was a minor part of the documentary, but noteworthy here; what did America think of the son's statement and the interviewer's and father's opinions?

stillakid
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
During the Michael Jackson documentary which aired on ABC last night in the US, there is a moment from last summer when Jackson and his 6-year-old son are in a Las Vegas elevator with the documentary interviewer Martin Bashir and his cameras. The interviewer notices Jackson's son Prince Michael I is wearing Star Wars shoes and asks him about them. Here's what transpired:
The whole time this transpired, Jackson had a look on his face like he agreed with his son on the issue. At least 27 million households reportedly watched this interview last night and heard that rather unfavorable viewpoint about Attack of the Clones. Obviously this was a minor part of the documentary, but noteworthy here; what did America think of the son's statement and the interviewer's and father's opinions?

I didn't see the entire show or that part so I can't comment specifically. However, based on everything else I'm hearing today, there seem to be a few more pressing questionable issues about Michael Jackson that most likely will leave this small part to obscurity.

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2003, 08:52 PM
On Entertainment Tonight a few days before they played the interview in America they showed a part of that little bit, but it was just the part where that kid was calling it slow. I really doubt any person would even care to respect either of their opinions. I have a hard time listening to Roger Ebert, let alone a kid being raised by the greatest freak of this lifetime. Honestly, I don't think anyone's opinion of Episode 2 could be swayed by them.

JediTricks
02-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Yeah but it's in their heads now, 47 million watched at least part of the documentary, the kid seemed fairly normal and sure of his opinion and Jackson and Bashir seemed to be agreeing with the kid's assessment.

2-1B
02-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Oh, so viewers could actually SEE "a look" on Jackson's face? Interesting, he must not have been wearing his surgical face mask. :D
Really, that's good news that a look could be seen on his face because it means it hasn't fully slid off his skull after years of surgery. :rolleyes:

What did America think? Personally, I've found that most Americans I know can't even tell ESB from Part 2 (since ESB was released second).

Seriously? I think stillakid's right, they were probably waiting for the dirt on his child bedmates thing or other pressing matters, so I'm not sure a movie review would be remembered . . . and if people did take note if it, I'm sure it wasn't "enlightening" since there have been plenty of bad reviews of Episode II since last May. :crazed:

Pendo
02-08-2003, 04:37 AM
The Jackson documentary was shown here in the UK too, and I also saw that part. I couldn't believe that they said that!?! I do feel that children do prefer TPM though, it is more childfriendly and comical to a child than AOTC. I wasn't surprised that Prince thought TPM was better. MJ probably thought Episode I was better because he is a big child aswell. Bashir was probably just agreeing with them so he wouldn't offend them. When Bashir says "And what makes you think you're qualified to make such a strong judgement" it gives the impression that he doesn't agree.

PENDO!

2-1B
02-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
MJ probably thought Episode I was better because he is a big child as well.

Or maybe he's a big Jake Lloyd fan. ;)

QLD
02-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Or maybe he's a big Jake Lloyd fan. ;)

:eek:

Actually though, he sounds like a smart kid. And heck, he's pretty much right too. Though I might have used the words craptacular and insulting instead. But to each his own. :)

Maybe the kid won't turn out so bad after all.

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Caesar, not once during that documentary did Jackson wear a surgical mask. According to the various network affiliate news coverage, it seems the opinion on the documentary is split 50/50.

So you guys don't think there's a public subconcious that will remember that this 5-year-old trashed Ep 2?

stillakid
02-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Caesar, not once during that documentary did Jackson wear a surgical mask. According to the various network affiliate news coverage, it seems the opinion on the documentary is split 50/50.

So you guys don't think there's a public subconcious that will remember that this 5-year-old trashed Ep 2?

Not anymore than the Razzies. :D

bobafett07728
02-10-2003, 11:00 AM
There was too much other nonsense going on in that documentary for people to leave remembering that 'Episode II was boring and slow.' I mean. . . Michael Jackson climbed a tree for Christ's sake!! He was playing a Scooter-type Arcade game. What about the way he fed his kid. . . the one called 'Blanket'!?!?!? Not only do I think that people aren't going to remember what Prince Michael said. . . but I doubt that they will really care about anything said by a six-year old wearing a butterfly mask!!!!!!!!!!

JON9000
02-11-2003, 12:11 PM
I dunno- I don't really mind boring and slow. I'll bet lots of children would find the OT boring and slow. We were raised on a diet of longer shots and developed plots. Younglings today are blitzed by the MTV style of editing. In fact, the coopting of the style by the James BOnd Franchise in the latest installment kind of left me feeling sad.:(

JediTricks
02-11-2003, 07:35 PM
The Razzies, aka "Mr Blackwell's Worst-Filmed List", have lost their luster IMO. This MJ documentary seems to be all anybody can talk about lately, I'm already sick of it. :D:p :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2003, 05:58 PM
Okay, the film has boring and slow parts, but for Christ's sake, dd he not see the speeder chase, the Kmino battle, the arena, or Yoda? Good God!

humsup
02-16-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm not too sure about you guys but I did yawn a couple of times while watching EPII. It gets really boring whenever the courtship sequence was shown. IMO, this part was badly directed (or badly scripted?) as compares to the smooth as silk courtship sequence between Han Solo and Leia that stretches throughout the whole trilogy.
And Yoda is fake. Anakin (Haden Christensen) acts like a sissy... boy am I bored watching that movie.

TheDarthVader
02-18-2003, 03:08 PM
I saw the documentary and I had put that part in the back of my head...until I was reminded...BY THIS POST!!! :)

2-1B
02-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Tonight on Conan O'Brien I saw a very quick shot of MJ with a kid in what looked to be an elevator - the kid looked weird, wearing a mask. JT, was the kid wearing a mask when you saw him?

If so, I have to disagree with your opinion that the kid seemed normal. :p

Wait, you said "fairly" so . . . I guess relative to his dad he IS fairly normal. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 01:52 AM
Yeah, he makes his kids wear masks, because he doesn't want the public to see their faces.

2-1B
02-19-2003, 02:20 AM
If that's his reason, then I have to applaud him. :)

Some celebs don't seem to mind, but I've heard of others who will NOT allow any pics of their kids into the public realm (Ewan McGregor comes to mind).

Still, that was a crazy mask the kid was wearing. :crazed:

Beast
02-19-2003, 02:27 AM
Yeah, he should get them some cool Star Wars masks. Get them some Jar Jar Binks ones. Since they didn't like E2, but obviously liked E1. Although, Michael Jackson got turned down for the role of Jar Jar, so that could be a bad memory for him. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
02-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Yeah, he makes his kids wear masks, because he doesn't want the public to see their faces.

i think the real reason they wear masks is so mike can put any kid in a mask and say, "yea,...umm...this is my kid...yea, that's the ticket", or maybe he has a mask on them because if anyone saw them with the mask off, they would know for sure they aren't the biological product of a man of an african-american bloodline. no way those are his bio-kids.:)

isn't it ironic though that lucas has said these movies are for kids, but this kid thinks it was boring? :confused:

Beast
02-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by derek
isn't it ironic though that lucas has said these movies are for kids, but this kid thinks it was boring? :confused:
Not really. It's not like this kid is a normal kid. He's treated like royalty, and basically has everything he could ever ask for. For cripes sake he basically lives in what's pretty much the equivelent of Disney Land. I wouldn't trust that kids opinion on a movie, since he lives in a fantasy world himself. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 01:36 AM
... sorry, my head was spinning from how fast JJB made another excuse for Lucas and the prequels: 9 minutes. ;)

I think the kid was wearing that crazy butterfly mask because it was Vegas-esque... or maybe because kids are dazzled by flashy things, oh wait, that's my dig at Episode I! :D

BTW, I noticed more than a few kids in the theaters who felt AOTC was boring when I saw the film, and none of them were closely-related to Jacko.

Beast
02-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Excuse, hardly. Why would I have to make an excuse? Excuses only need to be made, if somthing was wrong with the prequels. The only thing wrong with the prequels, is that they didn't leave up to some fans expectations. And as high as the expectations were in 99, nothing could have.

If Lucas would have kept you waiting from 1977 til 1993 for Empire Strikes Back you guys would have been complaining about the cheap rubber puppet Yoda. Not to mention everything else. Just because you had grown up, and been spoiled by the entertainment industry. In short, you guys grew up. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 02:42 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot, you not only are a mindreader, you're also a theoretical-past mindreader. :p

And if you're not making excuses, then why does nearly every post about the prequels that isn't Pollyana-pleasant get a near-instant response from you like a crazed Domino's delivery boy? JJB's counterpoint in 30 minutes or less or half off your next SW prequel. If these films are as strong and nigh-perfect as you're suggesting, shouldn't there be more than just a handful of people springing up to cover these various issues? Perhaps it's your expectations that are not being confronted, you seem to blame the fans rather than the problems themselves for many of the problems with the prequels. Not that you'd be the first person to do that of course, lots of fans of lots of stuff have worn that path clean.

Beast
02-21-2003, 02:59 AM
Nearly every? Wow, you give me far more credit then I'm due. The only people I typically respond to about the prequels are the ones like Stillakid or yourself that use any possible chance to slam the films. You dislike ROTJ too, but I don't see ever post of yours making a smart-arsed comment about it. Ah, because that's an OT movie and you can't bring yourself to do it. ;) :D

There are more then a handful, they just get repeatably hit over the head with the negative attitude around here directed at anyone that actually likes the prequels. My expectations are fine, they were as high as anyone. But the internet has bred fans into movie critics. And many directors and actors will tell you the same thing. People now adays are harder to please, instead of being able to enjoy a nice fun fantasy film.

Which when it boils down to, that's all these movies are. Fun fantasy movies that are meant to teach morals and life lessons to a generation that didn't have somthing that did that. It's almost to bad sometimes that Star Wars became as popular as it is. Since it's become the cool thing to try to tear the movie down better then the last person. For people that don't like them, you guys sure talk about them enough. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-21-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by derek

I don't think it is ironic, unless he said these movies are for EVERY kid.

Kids are quite diverse with different tastes. When I was in the sixth grade I remember drawing my own ROTJ comic book while just one classmate took interest in my "project." None of the others gave a care about Star Wars (just for reference, this was around 1989) but they had their own interests that I didn't care for either.

These movies may have been "made for kids" but it's such a broad group . . . pointing to an individual kid or groups of kids as evidence of any irony is a stretch IMO. :)

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Yeah JJB, I never make comments about how the Ewoks suck and Lucas should have gone with Wookiees like he originally was going to. :rolleyes: Oh wait, I did that for years on this site and long before this site existed. Hell, I have discussions with Thrawn about ROTJ all the time because he feels the DS2 scenes salvage that pre-prequel mess of a film. So go suggest that I have a double-standard when you know me a little better because right now you clearly don't know what you're talking about claiming that I prop ROTJ up on a pedastal because it's a Classic Trilogy film. I could easily say the same about you and your prozac-happy take on the prequels because they're Lucasfilm product.

You want to assume my preconceived notions are the basis for my "negative attitude"? Couldn't one simply suggest that your blind devotion to the Lucas prequel machine's poor quality, since you your ilk are constantly making excuses for bad product and stroking Lucas' ego rather than giving him honest feedback based on a grounded opinion? I have no respect for comments that suggest you know better than others about what is and isn't quality Star Wars, especially when you make a broad generalizing statements like your last 2 posts above this about those that don't agree with your viewpoint. Your pretentiousness on this issue is its own kind of negativity, a very insulting kind at that, yet you continue to spew it forth because you would rather poke your head in the sand than face the possibility that the prequels are heavily flawed.

... See? It's not too pleasant to be on the receiving end of this sort of sweeping assault instead of the one giving it.

Beast
02-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Nope. Doesn't bother me at all. Because I have no doubts in the fact that I enjoy the prequels. Now if you on the other hand are bothered by what I said, maybe it's because it has a grain of truth to it. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
02-21-2003, 10:39 PM
I just thought of something witty to say,

well, witty to me anyway......

The prequels are the most disappointing thing in my life since New Coke and Tecmo Bowl on the Playstation.

Thank you.

:D

2-1B
02-21-2003, 11:01 PM
This is why I get frustrated discussing these movies sometimes, because it too often boils down to the "prequel defender vs. OT worshiper" distinction. :mad:

If someone likes something about AOTC it's possible he or she will be labeled as just blind to its inherent faults and if a person doesn't like something about AOTC then there might be an accusation of just being overly critical. :mad:

Oh well, there's always the Cards forum. :D

:crazed:

JediTricks
02-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Now if you on the other hand are bothered by what I said, maybe it's because it has a grain of truth to it. Nope, just tired of seeing you bash others over the head with your opinions so often. Caesar is absolutely right in his assessment... prequel-defender. :D

2-1B
02-24-2003, 01:06 AM
I'm staying out of this - my battles are with stillakid. :crazed:

I tried retreating to the Card Forum but I forgot nobody ever goes there. :p
I guess I'm stuck here. :D

jjreason
02-27-2003, 01:04 AM
I think people will take it for what it's worth - the opinion of a young kid. Im in with the lot that thinks it won't be the "take away moment" from that freakumentary. But only time will tell - it's all in the cards...........

As for you argumentative young men out there - man you guys, agree to disagree already. There are goods and bads with both trilogies, and all 5 movies to date (okay, really there is NOTHING bad about Empire, but you get my drift). People are going to have their preferences, and no matter how much you chase this around, it will never end - you don't see eye to eye. This ugly debate has reared it's head for the last time.

THREAD CLOSED.

Damn. Not again....... last frickin' frackin' time I buy a thread closer on the corner, seemed like such a deal at the time........

Beast
02-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Try Thead Closed, it seems to occassionally work for Dar'Argol. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Apparently, the child isn't smart enough to realise his own father's last three discs were rather slow and completely boring! :D

OC47150
03-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Just look who the kid's dad is. That's all I gotta say.