PDA

View Full Version : Emperors throne room playset.

Jargo
02-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Anyone notice this on that list posted a few days back? Haven't seen any discussion so i thought considering it might turn out to be true it deserved a thread of its own.

If the rumor of an imperial dignitary is true then it would follow logically that a throne room playset would tie in nicely what with luke and vader ROTJ figures coming out soon.

I suggest it would have the throne with steps and the gantry (obligatory breakaway feature) and possibly the two control stations for DS troopers. With the possibility of the circular vieport at the back. I can't see anything else being locially included as it would make the thing too big. It'd be nice if they included the two sides that have the viewscreens on them. in the movie the two imperial dignitaries are seen standing in front of one viewscreen. (The same kind tarkin watches Alderaan explode on in ANH.)

By all accounts the arena playset sold well so Hasbro could have this on the go. One playset a year would be pretty good. bearing in mind that they don't go to town on this stuff they won't make it massive or put too much solidity into it but if it's going to follow the pattern of the arena then what i described could be close i guess. That theatrical backdrop approach. I suppose an add on of the turbolift and reactor shaft opening with an Emperor would be logical too. If the playset comes without figures then the turbolift being a smaller piece would be good with a figure and sold as a deluxe set it'd be a reasonable cheap add on.
As we move into the non movie years where kids interest tails off it's sort of likely that deluxe sets will move back to collector oriented like the bacta tank and sail barge cannon. So if they can do the bacta tank as a deluxe set then the turbolift could also be done.

Thoughts?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-08-2003, 09:52 AM
EJ- I like this idea alot. I think we are in dire need of an Emperor Throne Room playset. Granted, we got that final Duel a few years back, but that was just like 1/4 of his playroom, so a full one would be great. I don't know if it would sell as well though due to the fact that most of the lil' kids are more familiar with AOTC then Jedi, at least, it would make sense to me. It's out on DVD, it was just in the theaters and a majority of the figures come from that flick, so i dunno how the kids would react.

You know the collectors such as ourselves would eat this one up though, if it was done properly. Cheers!! :D

Jargo
02-08-2003, 10:05 AM
It could be a 2004 item though. A lot of the things listed are touted as being late 2003 or 2004 releases. I suppose that could just be a get out clause if things don't show this year though, face saving. :D the reprters wouldn't want egg on their faces would they?
I can see it moving in 2004 once the AOTC hype and this clone wars thing has died down a bit. but then again, if the hasbro efforts are pushing the AOTC thing to the max then they'll have to do something to keep older fans and collectors happy. They can't afforsd to lose too many consumers so putting out a really nice OT item would keep some people really sweet and the Emperors throne room is a perfect choice. Also, the main thrust of the OT stuff for this year seems to be imperial based, look at all the army builder sets and how many of them are imperial or bounty hunter vs jedi. Something large and imperial would be good because of the imperial emphasis of the next movie.

Just thought of something else, this death star station with death star gunner deluxe set coming later this year possibly, that could simply be the control station, y'know the pie segment thing with blue light up panels? yeah that thing. If they made that and then released the playset and used the control station as an add in like they have with the droid factory stuff adding onto the arena playset, that'd make sense too. just food for thought really.

I know that if they do it right I'll be snapping it up. If they do non movie stuff with it like those doors on the arena playset i'll leave it though. :)

Jayspawn
02-08-2003, 10:38 AM
I would like to see a Thrown Room playset. It would have to be pretty big- I should think.

jjreason
02-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Id be happy with a set that allows some creativity. One way it's supposed to work (based on movies, pics, etc) but allowing for other ways to put the pieces together. Like my old Micronauts. The way on the box was probably best but they didn't limit you to that, you know? It wouldn't take much, just pieces with joints on more than one side. They could start with central pieces for the locales, then continue to release add on pieces with bonus figures based on sales success. The could do this based on Jabba's sail barge/throne room, the death stars, Hoth, Bespin, etc.

Oh, and all the pieces of all the systems should be fine on their own, in case someone doesn't have access to all the parts or money for all the parts. This sounds suspiciously like another message I've posted about playsets so I'll stop now.

mark2d2
02-08-2003, 01:48 PM
I'd totally get this. Though I feel a Death Star or full fledged PLASTIC cantina would be way cooler and sell much better . . . .

Rogue II
02-08-2003, 05:43 PM
This would be the first playset I buy. I passed on all of the POTF2 sets (not counting those cardboard dioramas). I hope we're getting an Emperor to go along with it. It would be silly to have the Emperor's throne room without an Emperor:crazed:. We already have the Saga Royal Guards and we're getting Luke, Vader, and hopefully the Dignitary.

I wonder how big it will be.

Jargo
02-08-2003, 06:20 PM
If the listing is correct at all....

probably about the same size as the arena one. Two levels. There's a lot of plastic in the arena one so technically they can do the throne room in a similar size since it's quite open. I downloaded this pic of someones diorama a while back and for the life of me can't remember the name of the creator so please forgive me if it's yours. But this is something like how I imagined it would look but slightly smaller and with the left side in place too. Probably without the front floor section and the addition of the overhead gantry.
I realise this pic is a work in progress but It's definately the way I'd go about it. Those struts under the top platform would be replaced by the control stations and i'd probably make the steps removable for access. Definately smaller though.

Top marks for the build here, wish I could remember who made it and see if they ever finished the thing. :)

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Jargo, I think it absolutely MUST have a central-core elevator and semi-rail-free walkway as well as the rest of that stuff. I want a playset of Luke whomping Vader's arm off only to get himself fried to a crisp by the Emp moments later.

I like what jjreason is suggesting too.

That throne room diorama is cool, but kinda bland without the death star trooper stations, elevator, and the upper gantry.

evenflow
02-10-2003, 05:43 AM
I think that the recent scenes (trash compactor) have been amazing. I really hope that they continue with this trend. I hope that the recent Jabba announcement is true, as wel as the Dignitaries.

Kidhuman
02-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Bring it on. I would love to have one. It should come w/ an emperor. I believe it would sell excellent. And please do not make it an exclusive.

stillakid
02-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Jargo, I think it absolutely MUST have a central-core elevator and semi-rail-free walkway as well as the rest of that stuff. I want a playset of Luke whomping Vader's arm off only to get himself fried to a crisp by the Emp moments later.

I like what jjreason is suggesting too.

That throne room diorama is cool, but kinda bland without the death star trooper stations, elevator, and the upper gantry.

Which would fit perfectly within the idea of an All-In-One Death Star Playset (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=78800#post78800) :)

Originally posted by evenflow
I think that the recent scenes (trash compactor) have been amazing. I really hope that they continue with this trend. I hope that the recent Jabba announcement is true, as wel as the Dignitaries.
As good as the Trash set looks on it's own, it's relatively impossible to interconnect it with anything else. That's why I'd rather see Hasbro concentrate their efforts on putting that kind of detail into a well-engineered All-In-One Death Star Playset (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=78800#post78800) . :)