PDA

View Full Version : Tusken Raider MiniReview

Jayspawn
02-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Finally, new figures showing up after a dry spell. And one of them happening to be one of my favorite characters!

Tusken Raider, Tatooine Camp Ambush

- Likeness: This is about as close to a Tusken Raider as you can get. The likeness is next to unbeatable. 5/5.

- Sculpt/ Detail: What a work of art. First off, the sculpt is excellent from head to toe. The detail in the fabric is amazing. The paint job is supurb, there's a wash on the figure's tunic and robe for that desert look and the paint job is very clean. 5/5.

- Articulation: I'll say the figure has 8 points articulation. Including 3 spots in each arm. His arms can be posed in a number of ways with his gaffi stick. The only downer is the legs, sculpted in an action pose the legs are only movable at the waist keeping the legs in the same position. 4/5.

- Accessories: Tusken comes with a gaffi stick and a small camp fire base. And what perfect accessories too! The handle of the gaffi stick has a great wood sculpt while the metal ends have some scuff marks to show their use. I'm not wild about bases on a whole but these are cool! The fire part is translucent with red and orange with a pile of sticks over it. It looks 'like' a campfire. The little bases have little clips so that you can attach them to other bases. Perfect for building scenes with other Tuskens. 5/5.

- Playability: Here's the pros and cons. The figure is next to perfect with its excellent detail and cool accessories, but it has a problem standing by itself without the base. Due to the sculpting of the legs and that you can't really move them. 4/5.

- Value: I picked up the new Tusken Raider at Target for their price. Worth it? Oh yeah! 5/5.

OVERALL: This new figure really doesn't dissapoint at all. Hasbro did an incredible job on this toy. Those who have read my past reviews know I'm a big Tusken Raider fan. This new one might be my favorite Tusken figure. When you get it, you'll know. 4.5/5.

jedibear
02-17-2003, 04:23 AM
I agree....this is probably the best rendition of a Tusken in the collection yet(although I'm still kinda partial to the one that came with the bantha & the detail on the female raider is really hot).
Definately cool with that base. I'm hoping we get more tat-themed bases to hook it up with...

dirtybones
02-17-2003, 09:38 AM
I had just seen this fig at a mom & pop's store and man it is way cool. I would have picked it up, but for the price they were asking I could have got at least half a dozen more Battle droids for my arena diorama. I'll wait.

Chiesa
02-28-2003, 02:15 AM
Cool review... Will be looking forward to get my hands on those when they come out.

Cheers...
:D:D:D:D

bobafrett
02-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Did anyone notice that the head comes off to you can recreate Anakin going crazy killing and decapatating! The one I bought had the magnetic feature that held the head on its shoulders.

Maybe I missed it in the above review.

mark2d2
03-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Argh! I can't wait to get my hand on this figure. I was floored by how amazing the POTJ version was ----- and here this totally blows that one away!

Yet they'll look just perfect next to one another.

I love everything about this guy!

Especially the outer robe. The removable head! Seriously, for a Classic collector like me ----- (I know, I know, this is an ATOC fig, but it's a Tusken! Or as we old school say. . . a . . . Sand People!) ----- it just doesn't get any better than this.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2003, 11:46 AM
I got this the other day, it's very nice!
However, the only time Tuskens had robes was in ANH (I think). When the robe is removed, to make it more AOTC, the neck looks oddly long. But at least this one only has one bandolier, unlike the others (the AOTC camp had just one). All in all, I like this one a lot.

JEDIpartner
03-27-2003, 12:37 PM
I think this is, hands down, the BEST Tusken Raider yet. The magnet is very strong, so there is no danger of "losing my head" moments. The base IS cool, but I wish it were a bit larger so it didn't look as though he was going to burn his robes off in the fire pit. :rolleyes:

bobafrett
03-28-2003, 12:18 AM
I've got one set up in a confrontation with Anakin (guess who'll win) along with several of his fellow soon to be dead Tusken Raiders. It's a good time to die! I really like this figure, or did I say that already.

Old Fossil
04-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Agreed on all points above. What a marvellous figure! Goes well with the previous Tusken versions -- I now have a total of 13 Sandpeople, vs. C.S. Darth Maul in my 'Jundland Wastes Encounter' diorama. Bought 2 of the Saga Tuskens today; will buy more when (and if) I see them at retail again. This is definitely the ultimate Tusken Raider figure!

On the connectivity of the bases: it works, but the connection is imperfect, leaving the two bases not quite level. It is barely noticeable, unless you're a collector with an eye for such things.

Darth Sidious
04-02-2003, 06:21 PM
I love it. I want to get a few more of these, especially if they ever go on clearance. That way some can be dead and the living ones can be in different poses. My army of Tuskens (This one, Tusken w/ 2 Massiffs, Bantha w/ Tusken, 1996 (?) Tusken, and Female with baby) is much better thanks to this one.

JEDIpartner
04-03-2003, 08:53 AM
The best part of the new Tusken is that you can attach his head to the new Darth Tyrannus figure's hand so that he can play hoops with it! :crazed:

Sentinel18725
04-03-2003, 10:51 AM
I like the fact that they have so many tuskens. I hope that they can be used a little more in the next movie so we can have even more.

Arrogant Arse
04-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Posted by JEDIpartnr "The best part of the new Tusken is that you can attach his head to the new Darth Tyrannus figure's hand so that he can play hoops with it!"

That is just a SICK SICK thought!!! Hilarious, BUT SICK!!!

(Uh, which figure comes with a basketball net so I can set up that Diorama? Is it the "Shaq Ti Jedi Knight" figure?) :crazed:

mark2d2
05-12-2003, 04:37 PM
YIPPEE! I finally got this figure at long last.

What can I say? He is wicked cool.

I love this guy. He has totally exceeded my expectations.

The sculpt is very well done. The details on the robe (such texture!) -- the rocky base (especially love the translucent "fire" pit) -- and even his gaffi stick (wood grain, metal dings) -- are spot on.

The magnet works just super on mine.

The articulation is okay. I genuinely don't mind the legs not moving on this guy. And the arm movement is pretty great with three joints each. I only wish his right arm wasn't quite so fixed in the one pose --- though it still works.

All in all a great figure! My interest in the line is renewed after a long and lengthy drought. And I agree with whoever said it above --- I'd love for there to be more Sand People in the next film. I'd definitely be up for yet another Tusken.

PS --- aside from Tuskenball --- can the head be used on that decapitating Jango figure? (Can't remember which one does that as I don't have it.) But it'd be silly but amusing to make "Sand Fett" and "Jango Raider".