PDA

View Full Version : Fixng The Silver R2's legs is as easy as 1,2,3!

Turbowars
02-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Boil, open head and body, switch legs and glue back together. Well easy as 1,2,3,4. ;) Prefect!!!!

DarthChuckMc
02-08-2003, 10:22 PM
The boiling doesn't affect the paint job any? I was concerned about that most of all.

Turbowars
02-09-2003, 10:13 AM
No, not at all. Just Pop R2 in the pot while the water is heating up. By the time the water starts to boil, he should be ready for the job. The only thing is, you need to be careful how you Pry open the head and body. I used a knife, not because it sharp to cut, but because it's thin. The glue will become nice and soft and you just need to pry it open, just do it from the back of the head and body. Oh and start with the head and then the body, but just open the body at the top to the point where you can remove the arms and repace them. In other words don't completely take R2 apart. Its not hard, go for it. It worked for me, with NO prob, but don't get made at me if you mess it up :D

kdp100
02-12-2003, 06:23 AM
When you say "pry open the head and body" do you mean we have to pry the head into two or more separate pieces, or can the head be removed from the body in a single section?

(I've never customized an astromech before, so it's a bit hard for me to visualize without having the figure in front of me.)

Turbowars
02-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Well the way hasbro built this R2 is, the head is in 2 sections and must be split in two to be removed from the body. So what you want to do is boil the R2 and quickly stick a pointed object in between the joint (seem) of the head. After that put the body back into the boiling water. Then take the body and pry the 2 sides apart. You don't have to pry from the outside of the body, do it from the inside, less marks on the chrome, if any. I hope that helps. I'll try to post a photo of it taken apart.

kdp100
02-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tip - I'm away home in a couple of hours to do an Ackbar/Calamari headswap, so I might try R2 while the water's hot! :)

Sidiously Darth
02-12-2003, 12:49 PM
I have plenty of experience with boil & pop and could easily do this. Unfortunately, I don't have a Silver R2.:cry:

Turbowars
02-12-2003, 01:14 PM
KDP100, by no means should you run into trouble, It was my 1st and very easy.:D

kdp100
02-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Hmm, no, obviously some of these droids are glued together more firmly than others. :eek:

Boiled him for several minutes, but noticed no loosening of the head or body at all, even when I tried prising them with a knife.
Gave up when the paint and body started to look like they were in danger of bubbling & warping - I think if I'd left it any longer I might have done some permanent damage to the figure.

Your caveat was wisely given!

Ah well, no harm done - and I do now have two new Mon Calamari!

kdp100
10-02-2003, 06:21 AM
I finally fixed the legs on my silver R2 by the good old-fashioned boil-and-pop method. It took a bit of squeezing with the pliers to get the legs back over the stumps of his shoulders, but it worked in the end! :)