PDA

View Full Version : GIJoe on DVD!

El Chuxter
02-09-2003, 12:10 AM
I just found the 2-disc GIJoe Original Mini-Series DVD at Wal-Mart, which isn't supposed to be released until Tuesday. (I love when that kinda thing happens to me. :D) I picked it up, knowing nothing about it, but planning to check and see if it's a decent buy and return it if necessary. (Turns out after a very quick search on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000897BT/qid=1044770054/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-1820214-2407226), I paid $10 more than I should have and will definitely be taking the unopened one back in the next day or so.)

Here's my question: I've heard that season boxes will be released at some point in 2003. Is this a precursor, not to be included in the seasonal box set? (I honestly can't remember from twenty years ago if these mini-series were considered part of the first season or not.) Or is it a cheap stab at those of us who have been waiting for GIJoe DVD's for years, hoping to get us to buy them and kick ourselves when a Season One box comes out a few months later?

"Any hep here would be hot." :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-09-2003, 01:03 AM
From Rhino concerning their first G.I. Joe episodes DVD:

"FYI, After much discussion, we are going to have a sub-head to be accurate on the title:

G.I. Joe - The Original Mini-Series
A Real American Hero & The Revenge of Cobra

Also, we are planning two releases. One will street on February 14th and will not have extras. The other will be released in May w/ extras and the limited edition figure (first 25,000 copies)."

The reason for two street dates has to do with getting the support of a major retail chain. For those who don't know, these first two mini-series ('83 and '84) came before the regular series started. Season 1 was '85, and season 2 was '86.

http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/314

Eternal Padawan
02-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Great! Although I can't say I was as big a fan of the cartoon as I was the comics. I think the disc is also a test run to see if people want G.I.Joe on DVD. They did the same thing by releasing Transformers Heroes and Villains discs before commiting to season sets.

Now we need some MOTU DVD sets.
And Dungeons & Dragons.
And all those groovy old Marvel cartoons, like Spiderman and his Amazing Friends and The Hulk.
And Muppet Babies.

El Chuxter
02-10-2003, 12:07 PM
So in other words, take this one back and wait for May. :D

Eternal Padawan
02-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, actually, I just saw one at WM this morning. Maybe they are doing these two limited series on this disc and then the actual season sets later on. I dunno. Keep it. Open it. Watch it. Relive your youth!

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2003, 02:01 PM
You saw the GI Joe version with the extras at Wal Mart today?

JON9000
02-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Ah yes- the three catalytic elements. I haven't seen that series in at least 15 years. I will rent it when it comes out.

Tonysmo
02-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Does anyone have any idea about the NEW movie that was supposed to hit the theaters? From what the website showed awhile back, they had clips of a pixar type movie with 6 main characters from GI Joe vs Cobra. The clips looked very very cool. this was pretty much right when they started to release the new GI Joe vs Cobra line of figs.. since then that part, or portion of the website has since been taken down, and there is no longer a coming soon for the movie. They even advertised the movie on the Nickalodean network... I know they have just released the spy corps line of figs, and now have a new cartoon for that line coming out.. but I do not think it's the same thing.. Anyone have any insight on this?

JediTricks
02-23-2003, 08:44 PM
I know they were using CG animation for the Joe vs Cobra line's advertising for about a year now, the latest ones insult the viewer about the sound-attack toys (I'm sorry but I hate those stupid ugly worthless clip-in things on both the weapons and the vehicles, they are a poor excuse for a REAL toy feature). I bet Hasbro was testing the waters with those clips (which were really cool) and found them too expensive to produce or something.

Tonysmo
02-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Right, I've seen those commercials as well. It just seems when they first started this promo about a year or so ago, they started with an advertisment of a CGI type movie as well.. I think I actually saved the commercial clip somewhere.. Oh well. It would be cool to see the Joes done in that fashion..

Eternal Padawan
03-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Has anyone seen the new G.I Joe figures that come with a nifty little CD/DVDs with episodes on them? I was gonna pick a couple up to see what they're all about. Anybody heard anything?