PDA

View Full Version : So this is why he wanted us to buy Dell's... (merged)

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2003, 05:29 PM
'Dell Dude' Arrested for Marijuana in NY

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Actor Benjamin Curtis, the Dell Computer Corp. pitchman "Steven" who says on television, "Dude, yer gettin' a Dell," was arrested for possessing marijuana in New York, officials said on Monday.

Curtis, 22, was charged with criminal possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor that carries a prison sentence of up to three months if he is convicted, a spokesman for the Manhattan district attorney's office said.

Curtis, who lives in New York and was arrested on Sunday night, was scheduled to appear in Manhattan Criminal Court later on Monday.

A spokesman for the Round Rock, Texas-based Dell said he was not familiar with the details and declined to speculate on future plans for the advertising campaign.

"We're following the situation closely and working with our ad agency to understand what's transpired here," spokesman Venancio Figueroa said. The ad agency is DDB of Chicago.

Dell, the No. 2 personal computer company, makes most of its money selling to businesses and schools. It began the TV and print commercials featuring the wise-cracking "Steven" three years ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20030210/en_nm/tech_dell_dude_dc

Ben Curtis, can you say, "Dude, I'm going to jail."?

Fulit
02-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Best headline I've seen for this story today:

Dude, you're gettin' a Cell!

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2003, 07:26 PM
A few minutes after I posted that story I read that the judge told him the charges will most likely be dropped. It was fun to dream the jail thoughts while it lasted.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2003, 10:16 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-02-10-dell-dude_x.htm

found this and thought i'd share a laugh with everybody here. He got on my nerves after a while, so i hope he gets a long sentence, not jail time, maybe just "no more acting work for life." I dunno, we can hope. cheers!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-10-2003, 10:23 PM
look in the other forum......

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-10-2003, 10:25 PM
OOps, hehehehhehe. I rarely look in the OTHER section. Maybe i should start, eh?!? cheers!! :D

Tycho
02-10-2003, 11:09 PM
"We are following the situation and really trying to understand what happened here," Venancio Figueroa said.

What happened was Dell didn't sell weed over the internet as a promotional exclusive :rolleyes: - all I ever got were some free re-writable CD's.

However, my computer did come with a MOUSE!

Tonysmo
02-11-2003, 02:25 AM
whats even funnier than that?? HES GOT A GATEWAY AT HOME!!

Kidhuman
02-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Too Funny like they didn't know it was coming

Kidhuman
02-11-2003, 09:06 AM
In NYC most marijuana charges are dropped if it is a first offense. Some of my friends got arrested and had the charges dropped for that reason. Just some probation and that is it.

scruffziller
02-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Tonysmo
whats even funnier than that?? HES GOT A GATEWAY AT HOME!!

Where did you find that out.

Patient Zero
02-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Ya, I never would have guessed that he was a stoner. :rolleyes:

I still like CNNs "Dude, you're getting a Cell" best.

JediTricks
02-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Fulit, that is a great headline. :D

Darth Sidious
02-11-2003, 07:20 PM
I knew it all along, it doesn't surprise me. Mr. Curtis was quoted as saying to police, "Dude, I didn't inhale!" :D