PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go hmm!

keith koth
02-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Things that make you go hmm!

1. What are midichlorians & why were they not mentioned in the original trilogy?
2. What was the motivation for the Tusken Raiders to keep Shimi Skywalker alive for a month before she finally died during Anakin’s rescue attempt?
3. By the beginning of Episode IV, we know (or assume) that the only surviving Jedi are Obi-Wan and Yoda…Will we see the Jedi Younglings (the Bear Clan?) slaughtered as well?
4. How did the Sith reemerge after 1000 years of absence? Why did it take that long if the opportunity was there?
5. If Qui-Gon Jinn truly believed that Anakin was destine to bring balance to the force, then why did Qui-Gon cheat when Watto rolled the chance cube? (If it was meant to be, then so be it…but why cheat? That is not Jedi-like in my opinion)
6. In what other ways had Qui-Gon Jinn defied the Jedi Council in the past?
7. Why do some deceased Jedi appear as ghosts, while most do not? (This one has been covered many times…but it still makes me say “hum!”)
8. Was the asteroid belt around Geonosis possibly the result of tests on a preliminary version of the Death Star’s primary weapon? (the asteroids being pieces of what was once a moon)
9. Why don’t the Jedi create a DNA archive for cloning purposes…just in case something drastic was to happen?
10. Why, of all Gungans, was Jar Jar Binks selected as a Senator (they knew he was a klutz…that is why he was banished from the “hidden city” to begin with)?
11. Why is Mace Windu’s light saber purple? (I know that Samuel L. Jackson said he specifically requested purple…but please give me a break…George Lucas is very specific about what elements he wants in his story line…the purple saber blade must have some significance…what could it be?)

stillakid
02-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by keith koth

1. What are midichlorians & why were they not mentioned in the original trilogy?
2. What was the motivation for the Tusken Raiders to keep Shimi Skywalker alive for a month before she finally died during Anakin’s rescue attempt?
3. By the beginning of Episode IV, we know (or assume) that the only surviving Jedi are Obi-Wan and Yoda…Will we see the Jedi Younglings (the Bear Clan?) slaughtered as well?
4. How did the Sith reemerge after 1000 years of absence? Why did it take that long if the opportunity was there?
5. If Qui-Gon Jinn truly believed that Anakin was destine to bring balance to the force, then why did Qui-Gon cheat when Watto rolled the chance cube? (If it was meant to be, then so be it…but why cheat? That is not Jedi-like in my opinion)
7. Why do some deceased Jedi appear as ghosts, while most do not? (This one has been covered many times…but it still makes me say “hum!”)
8. Was the asteroid belt around Geonosis possibly the result of tests on a preliminary version of the Death Star’s primary weapon? (the asteroids being pieces of what was once a moon)
9. Why don’t the Jedi create a DNA archive for cloning purposes…just in case something drastic was to happen?
10. Why, of all Gungans, was Jar Jar Binks selected as a Senator (they knew he was a klutz…that is why he was banished from the “hidden city” to begin with)?
11. Why is Mace Windu’s light saber purple? (I know that Samuel L. Jackson said he specifically requested purple…but please give me a break…George Lucas is very specific about what elements he wants in his story line…the purple saber blade must have some significance…what could it be?)

ooh, can I, can I!!!!??!?! :D

Fulit
02-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Well, I read that the Tuskens like to test the physical endurance of their captives by seeing how long they survive torture. They also have their young participate as a "growing up" ritual of sorts. Sounds like some human cultures I know.

El Chuxter
02-10-2003, 06:19 PM
1. A dream, a hoax, and an imaginary story. :) Did you notice Uncle George didn't mention them at all in AOTC?

2. In the novelization, her will to see Anakin keeps her alive during the torture. The Tuskens don't outright kill her, as they both admire this mysterious ability to survive and want to know what it is.

3. Kids dying in a kid-friendly movie? I doubt this.

4. Each Sith Lord has been slowly building upon the plans of his (or her) predecessor. . . not to mention plotting his own master's downfall.

5. Qui-Gon was not a very prim and proper Jedi. I have a feeling we'll learn more about this.

6. Can't say off the top of my head, though I know he had a girlfriend and leaned too heavily (in Yoda's opinion) on his theory of the Living Force.

7. We won't know for two more years.

8. I doubt it. The Death Star probably wasn't beyond the preliminary stages. If you go by EU, Raith Seinar had the idea, which Tarkin presented to Palpatine, who gave it to the Geonosians to design, who passed it to Dooku. . . and somehow Bevel Lemelisk and Qui Xux ended up finalizing the design.

9. I'm not sure what you mean. I got the impression the Jedi accepted the clones as a necessary evil, but weren't entirely in favor of the idea of cloning to begin with.

10. He was in the right place at the right time. Boss Nass thought the idea of teaming the Gungans and Naboo was his, and made him a general during the Battle of Naboo. From there, it's not too hard to imagine him being elected.

11. I'm not sure of the significance of the purple blade yet (somewhere between blue and red, maybe?), but it uses different crystals and thus has a different color blade.

Beast
02-10-2003, 06:27 PM

Because, it's unncessiary info. If Anakin hadn't asked Qui-Gon about them, he wouldn't really know about them either. They seem to just be somthing in all living things that allow them access to the force. The higher the number, the more potentiel the student has for mastering the force. But the potentiel is useless without training. In the OT, Ben and Yoda already know that Luke is the son of Skywalker, so no need for them to test his levels or to discuss them with him. :)

They were testing her, to see how well she could stand up to torture. Supposedly some sort of Tusken ritual. Only her strong willpower and desire to see her son, kept her alive thru all that. When she finally fulfilled that desire, her need to live was lost. That's why she finally lets herself die after Anakin rescues her.

Since the movie is PG, I doubt will see the death of children. Best thing that we could see, is CloneTroopers walking into a room of frightened Jedi kiddies, and the door shut. Lucas could include blaster fire, to ensure that everyone knows they're dead. :)

4. How did the Sith reemerge after 1000 years of absence? Why did it take that long if the opportunity was there?Darth Bain was supposedly the last living Sith Lord, and he followed the rule of one. So he would train an apprentice, and then in time the apprentice would find a student, and then the old Lord would have to die. Similar to Vader's discussion to Luke on the platform in Cloud City. As for why the long wait, they were probably waiting a long time, to put the Jedi more at ease. It wasn't until Sidious saw the oppertunaty to act, that he actually started his plans in motion.

Perhaps he wanted to make sure, or he knew that Watto was trying to cheat with the cube. After all, it's Watto's cube, he could have had it weighted in his favor. It's not like the force is some all powerful being that is directing everything.

He just seems to not agree with all of their choices, and is vocal in that disagreement. I'm sure it's more fleshed out in the EU, but that's not the point. Obi-Wan's words are meant to convey that Qui-Gon is a powerful and well respected Jedi, even though he's not exactly the traditional Jedi, when it comes to ideas.

It appears to be a pair of things, though we may get a definative answer on what it is in EIII. It seems to be either having unfinished business, or being ready and prepared to die. Obi-Wan actually went into a meditative state, and let Vader cut him down. But since he still had to ensure that Luke was trained, he couldn't pass on to become one with the force. As for Yoda, I think he and Anakin only appeared, more as a reuinion type of thing. So that Luke would know they are at peace. Remeber Yoda's words, "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." We'll get a more definative answer in EIII, according to Lucas. But according to what we know from EII, no Jedi before Qui-Gon has actually not joined with the force upon their death. :)

Probably not, all they had was the schematics at that point. I doubt that they have started building on it yet. The Asteroid belt is more likely just a natural one.

The Jedi's don't really seem to believe in cloning. Also the EU has established that force powers, arn't somthing that can be cloned. Besides, cloning doesn't seem like an all that commen occurance in the Star Wars Universe, if the Kaminoans are the best known cloners and most people haven't heard of the planet.

Because he's a war hero, if not for him and the rest of the people involved in the events of the Battle of Naboo, the planet would have likely remained in the hands of the Trade Federation. Klutz or not, if you remove Jar Jar from E1, things change drastically.

It's as simple as that, Sam Jackson's favorite color is purple. And he likes it to appear associated with his charecters in every movie he does. So he asked Lucas, and Lucas said sure. As for why Mace has a different color, because he's the head of the Jedi Council. That's also why his lightsaber has electrum plating on the hilt. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

keith koth
02-10-2003, 06:27 PM
8. I doubt it. The Death Star probably wasn't beyond the preliminary stages. If you go by EU, Raith Seinar had the idea, which Tarkin presented to Palpatine, who gave it to the Geonosians to design, who passed it to Dooku. . . and somehow Bevel Lemelisk and Qui Xux ended up finalizing the design.

Yes, I am aware that the Death Star was not beyond the preliminary stage, but what about it's primary weapon? Almost certainly, they must have developed the weapon before designing the "space station" (i.e., the Death Star) to house it.

keith koth
02-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Perhaps he wanted to make sure, or he knew that Watto was trying to cheat with the cube. After all, it's Watto's cube, he could have had it weighted in his favor. It's not like the force is some all powerful being that is directing everything.

If it was a Jedi prophecy...and Qui-Gon believed in that prophecy...then he would not have felt the need to cheat, because the prophecy would be fulfilled, regardless of Watto's desire to cheat.

Beast
02-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Prophecy yes, but that doesn't mean things are going to happen for no reason. Just like Anakin had to enter the pod race, to get the money for the ship. If Anakin wouldn't have used his skills to win, the prophecy wouldn't have moved forward. Qui-Gon was just ensuring that what needed to happen, did. :)

His chance cube is his prized possession. It is a gambling die weighed to always roll red. Many of his acquaintances know that he cheats, but there are still those who do not know that Watto makes much of his fortune by cheating his friends. Watto does not feel guilty for his actions, and he is certain they would do the same to him, given half a chance.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

keith koth
02-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Prophecy yes, but that doesn't mean things are going to happen for no reason. Just like Anakin had to enter the pod race, to get the money for the ship. If Anakin wouldn't have used his skills to win, the prophecy wouldn't have moved forward. Qui-Gon was just ensuring that what needed to happen, did.

Yes, but as I see it, the Jedi prophecy would have eventually been fulfilled anyway. That is the nature of prophecies (i.e., fate). I think Qui-Gon got greedy and tried to forceably apply the prophecy to the situation...what better way to get himself a seat on the JediCouncil than to present the council with the "chosen one".

Jedi Clint
02-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Yes, but as I see it, the Jedi prophecy would have eventually been fulfilled anyway. That is the nature of prophecies (i.e., fate). I think Qui-Gon got greedy and tried to forceably apply the prophecy to the situation...what better way to get himself a seat on the JediCouncil than to present the council with the "chosen one".

I never got the impression that Qui Gon cared to sit on the Council.

stillakid
02-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Darn, they've forced my hand. Now I have to set the record straight. ;) (They MADE me do it!)

Midichlorians were most likely an invention by a substandard writer (Lucas) who needed a tangible device to illustrate to the characters and the audience that lil' Anakin had Force potential. Never mind that this is what the purpose of him being an excellent pod racing pilot was supposed to do as illustrated in the overly boring table reading of the plot at Shmi's house. But as that race became more of a Rube Goldbergian device to get the heros off the planet, George probably felt the need to hammer Anakin's Force ability over the heads of his primary audience (or so he thinks) of 7 year olds. They were not mentioned in the Original Trilogy because they were not invented yet and in fact were most likely not even a part of the lore as Gloria Huyck, Willam Katz, or Lawrence Kasdan knew it. They couldn't include an element that didn't exist and didn't really fit into the mythology they believed they were helping to create.

The offscreen explanation is that Tusken Raiders have some weird initiation rituals or something that prompt them to test victims with torture and such. While this may be the case, it sure wouldn't hurt a story any to, at the very least, hint at something so critical, lest what we actually witness onscreen appears to be a very silly element of convenience.

3. By the beginning of Episode IV, we know (or assume) that the only surviving Jedi are Obi-Wan and Yoda…Will we see the Jedi Younglings (the Bear Clan?) slaughtered as well? Pure speculation but I would hope that it is not shown, but rather obviously implied. How so? We see a shot of the interior of the Jedi Temple with Jedi personnel and kidlings running about after some kind of general alarm is set off. The Gunships of the Clone Army are approaching. After we see the interior and who's in there, the scene cuts back to the exterior where the attacking ships bombard the Temple and lay it to waste. This ties up the loose ends of any young Jedi that might remain for the OT without showing any unnecessary R rated death.

That's the way it should be done. But we'll of course see something different in a couple years.

Unknown. Based on screen information, very little is known about the Sith. Even this notion that there can only be two is a completely offscreen notion. Your question is unanswerable at this time.

We don't really know what "bring balance to the Force" means, so the question is crippled from the start.

Why did he cheat when he's a Jedi? Pure conjecture to answer that one, but at first glance, it's just a plot device to keep the story moving.

6. In what other ways had Qui-Gon Jinn defied the Jedi Council in the past? Not important to define onscreen. It's enough to know that he skirted their authority in order to set up his wanting to teach lil' Ani against their wishes. (even though it's really supposed to be Obi Wan doing this, based on OT information, but that's a different discussion).

We have no idea. But if I could offer my own conjecture, I'd suggest that only Jedi who die "non-violently," that is, they "give in and accept" death, are able to vanish. Obi Wan died when struck by a lightsaber, but he didn't go down fighting. Yoda also died willingly and at peace. Vader went while "fighting" the Emperor. The Emperor, we presume, just exploded or something to that effect. Qui Gon went down while still fighting as did Maul.

Doubt it. Just an excuse to have a kickin' asteroid chase even though it seems pretty silly that Jango was heading straight for the asteroids before spotting Obi Wan.

Uh...hmm? To Clone Jedi? But with the silly introduction of Midichlorians, we are led to believe that someone can only be a Jedi if they have enough of these lil' buggers swimming around their bloodstream. Which raises an interesting question: where do they come from? We're led to believe that they are separate organisms, yet at the same time families are "genetically blessed" by their presence. Sooooo, if they are indeed separate organisms, this implies that they are not part of these super-human's DNA, which implies that they invade the host body after birth....hmm? But that defies the idea that the Skywalkers are more blessed than other super-humans in this galaxy...unless the Midi's are intelligent and seek out certain family members after birth...hmm?

So anyway, back to your question, creating a DNA database would only be useful if these magic symbiotes were a part of the original DNA, which they can't be, but they have to be, but....AhhhhhH!!!!! I can't take it!!!!! :crazed:

The same reason he was given a field promotion to General even though he was a blithering idiot and really did nothing to bring the humans and Gungans together (except as a guide). He was just a main character that George tossed in to humor the under 10 crowd. And because Jar Jar didn't live up to his "life debt" promise in TPM, he survived the battle and George needed to give him something to do in Episode II.

Probably just that...Sam Jackson wanted purple. George isn't as deep as we all wish he was.

mini-rock
02-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Yes, I am aware that the Death Star was not beyond the preliminary stage, but what about it's primary weapon? Almost certainly, they must have developed the weapon before designing the "space station" (i.e., the Death Star) to house it.

Doubt it. All we saw was the schematic, nothing else, not even a hint of a "massive weapon". Unless something comes up in TCW cartoon or in EP3 about the weapon itself already made, all we have to go on is what we saw in the movie.:)

keith koth
02-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Doubt it. All we saw was the schematic, nothing else, not even a hint of a "massive weapon". Unless something comes up in TCW cartoon or in EP3 about the weapon itself already made, all we have to go on is what we saw in the movie.

An asteroid belt of that size would most likely only be found around very large "gas giant" planets such as Saturn or Jupiter...

I know, I know...the Star Wars galaxy is a completely different galaxy with different laws of physics from our own... however, it makes sense to me that the asteroids are the remains of a moon...or is it just a coincidence that a the planet where the "planet killer" weapon was developed would just happen to have this type of asteroid belt? (I think not!)

They had to test out the primary weapon somewhere in order for Darth Sideous to "buy in" on the idea of it.

It just makes perfect sense to me, regardless of lack of hints that there was already a primary weapon in development. In my opinion, the asteroid belt in and of itself is a hint of the existance of the "primary weapon" in a round about way (especially if you know anything about astrophysics).

None the less, if what I say is true, then it really has no bearing on the plot, or where the story is headed...this thought just came to me and as the title of this thread suggests...It made me go HMM!

keith koth
02-11-2003, 01:48 PM
I never got the impression that Qui Gon cared to sit on the Council.

That's funny! I got the exact opposite impression. Why else would Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have had the conversation about Qui-Gon's defiance of the council, which has kept him from being a part of it?

mini-rock
02-11-2003, 02:58 PM
"I shall do what I must" - Qui-Gon Jinn

Qui-Gon follows the will of the force rather than rules and regulations that have caused him a seat on the council. Qui-Gon could have cared less if he sat on the council, and seemed to serve the Jedi better anyway buy being in the field more IMO. Obi-Wan "follows the rules" more than Qui-Gon so thats why they had that conversation. That's what I get out of it anyway.

As for testing the weapon, I'll agree that some testing may be done before it is housed in the Death Star, but I do not believe the weapon has even been produced yet, and if you've seen AOTC at least once you should know this. However if you end up being right about this, I'll be the first to let you know, and that I should have listened, but I REALLY do not believe that scenario one bit.:)

stillakid
02-11-2003, 03:07 PM
An asteroid belt of that size would most likely only be found around very large "gas giant" planets such as Saturn or Jupiter...

I know, I know...the Star Wars galaxy is a completely different galaxy with different laws of physics from our own... however, it makes sense to me that the asteroids are the remains of a moon...or is it just a coincidence that a the planet where the "planet killer" weapon was developed would just happen to have this type of asteroid belt? (I think not!)

They had to test out the primary weapon somewhere in order for Darth Sideous to "buy in" on the idea of it.

It just makes perfect sense to me, regardless of lack of hints that there was already a primary weapon in development. In my opinion, the asteroid belt in and of itself is a hint of the existance of the "primary weapon" in a round about way (especially if you know anything about astrophysics).

None the less, if what I say is true, then it really has no bearing on the plot, or where the story is headed...this thought just came to me and as the title of this thread suggests...It made me go HMM!

Hmm? Testing the weapon before building the whole ball? Makes sense to me! :)

I don't know about the asteroid belt, but it certainly seems plausible from a story point of view. Based on onscreen information, we don't know where this planet is in relation to the "center" of the galaxy so it might be off on it's lonesome which would make such testing somewhat "hidden from view" (like Iraq's own weapons). If it was too close to civilization, then surely word of Geonosis's moons getting pulverized would have seeped out eventually. That's what makes me question that the asteroid belt is the remains of the moons.

Something to be answered offscreen in one of those aftermarket rationaliz...er, explanations. But, in the end, why not? It doesn't hurt the story any as far as I can tell.

Then again, MR has a point about it being built. Just from what we've seen of the Death Star in action, the size of the primary weapon looks pretty significant. Now, they've got hovercraft technology and all, plus building spacebased installations is far beyond what we lowly earthlings are capable of, but to build that weapon and then hide it adequately would take some doing. Maybe. I don't know. Good question though.

Beast
02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Stillakid, we do to know where Geonosis is from on-screen information. It's in the Outer Rim, and is near Tatooine, which is why Anakin and Padme could recieve the transmission from Obi-Wan. Remeber, Obi-Wan's long range transmitter was damaged. Also note the fact that they could get there, ahead of the Jedi's that are headed there. Infact the official site says it's less then a parsec away from Tatooine. :)

A harsh rocky world less than a parsec away from Tatooine, Geonosis is a ringed planet beyond the borders of the Galactic Republic. Its uninviting surface is marked by mesas and buttes, and barren stretches of parched desert hardpan. The rocks and sky are tinted in red, and the creatures that evolved on Geonosis are well equipped to survive in the harsh ecology.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Stillakid, we do to know where Geonosis is from on-screen information. It's in the Outer Rim, and is near Tatooine, which is why Anakin and Padme could recieve the transmission from Obi-Wan. Remeber, Obi-Wan's long range transmitter was damaged. Also note the fact that they could get there, ahead of the Jedi's that are headed there. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Ahh, yes. Thanks for the clarification. Time to dust off the DVD.

So from this we are to ascertain that it is too far away from, well, everything for any regular, uh, "intelligence" to be made? I suppose if that's so or if the Republic didn't feel the need to do any "checking up" on standing armies that existed within it's realm, then they could get away with building and testing a very large and obvious piece of machinery. But maybe the primary weapon needs the rest of the Death Star to make it work, as in the main reactor and such. But still, it would make more sense to test such a thing out before going to the expense of building such a project. Although, if the weapon didn't work, they could always get the ball up to speed and ram the planets to pieces. :D

Beast
02-11-2003, 03:31 PM
There was a really nice official map, released in the Star Wars Fact Files that were put out overseas. I need to track down a copy of that, as it placed all the known planets and systems. I found a copy of it on-line, but it's to huge to attach here and it's also in another language. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
02-11-2003, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keith koth
[B]Things that make you go hmm!

I could answer all of these but that would take forever. This one I can do quick. This chance cube that Watto has is clearly rigged to always land on Red. That is why Watto matched Shmi up with Red and Aniken up with blue. Anakin is clearly the move valuable slave, and thus he didn't want to loose him.

The only reason why Qui Gon cheated, is becasue Watto was cheating first.

keith koth
02-11-2003, 03:43 PM
The only reason why Qui Gon cheated, is becasue Watto was cheating first.

So that is how the Jedi code of ethics works. :crazed:

2 wrongs make a right. :eek:

How is this so hard to understand? If it was meant to be, then so be it! (that should be the official Jedi stance on the issue)

Something beyond the prophecy had to drive Qui-Gon to cheat, or else he would have left Anakin there on Tatooine untill fate brought Anakin to the Jedi order. However, fate was altered forever once Qui-Gon cheated.

Beast
02-11-2003, 03:49 PM
One of the recent issues of the Star Wars insider had a full size map that is almost the same as the offical map that was released with the Star Wars force files overseas. I believe it's Insider #65. :)

http://www.petridish.net/pics/2341/StarWarsGalaxies.JPG

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
02-11-2003, 03:52 PM
I realy think you are reading to much into this. Clearly Qui Gon isn't a by the book Jedi. Plus, no where does it say the Jedi are supposed to be holy. If that where the case, then Obi Wan wouldn't have killed Maul, he'd of just "dis-armed" him and placed him under arest.

Jedi do the job and get things done. Fate, is something that isn't so clear in the Star Wars universe. Differnt paths can be chosen. This is a very vivid theme to Star Wars. Luke has the choice to kill Vader and join the Emporer. He chooses not to. Yoda knew he was vulnerable, thus his fate wasn't decided.

Qui Gon felt that it was up to him to alter the chance cube in his favor, becasue Watto wasn't being fare about it. Fate is thrown out the windo when someone cheats.

keith koth
02-11-2003, 04:09 PM
OH! now I see. PSYCH!:cool:

Seriously though, most of you have made very valid points; however, most are purely speculation...much as are my points of view. It would be interesting to hear George Lucas answer these questions.

Originally, I had started this thread to find out what elements of the Star Wars saga made everyone else go hmm. So, post your thoughts and lets discuss the validity or invalidity...for as we all know, we have quiet a bit of time to kill before EIII.

mini-rock
02-11-2003, 04:21 PM
How is this so hard to understand? If it was meant to be, then so be it! (that should be the official Jedi stance on the issue)

How de we know it wasn't the will of the force for Qui-Gon to make sure the chance cube rolled in his favor?

Something beyond the prophecy had to drive Qui-Gon to cheat

Yes, it was the force.

or else he would have left Anakin there on Tatooine untill fate brought Anakin to the Jedi order.

Anakin was already considered too old to train. I don't see why Qui-Gon would leave Anakin on Tatooine even longer when he has the chance right there to take Anakin back to Coruscant. It's like finding a bag of money in the middle of the street and saying Gee, if I was meant to have this bag of money it will find it's way into my bank account so I'll just leave it. The force guided Qui-Gon to "one of the smaller shops". The force helped Qui-Gon see that Anakin was more than just a boy offering shelter from a sand storm. That there was something significant about meeting this boy. I don't know if this makes sense to you, but I know it does to me.:)

It would be interesting to hear George Lucas answer these questioms.

I agree, but I can just hear the fan boys now saying how full of BS GL is, or claim he's a liar. They would still make up their own stories and speculate. Even if facts were right there on the screen.

keith koth
02-11-2003, 04:46 PM
It's like finding a bag of money in the middle of the street and saying Gee, if I was meant to have this bag of money it will find it's way into my bank account so I'll just leave it.

If you truly believed in a prophecy that said money would find it's way into your bank account (just as Qui-Gon believes in the Jedi prophecy), then sure, why not leave it there in the middle of the street. It will eventually find it's way into your account, but only at the specific time it was meant to be. If you take the money and run, I suppose that there would be no harm done, but on the other hand, it could cause the whole thing to backfire on you.

The force guided Qui-Gon to "one of the smaller shops".

They went to a smaller shop to avoid drawing too much attention to themselves...it has nothing to do with the force

The force helped Qui-Gon see that Anakin was more than just a boy offering shelter from a sand storm.

I thought he picked up on Anakin's gift based upon several things, none of which were inspired by Qui-Gon's use of the force:

1. Anikin was extraordinarily intelligent and had a way of seeing things before they happened.
2. He was an excellent pilot, as a matter of fact, he is the only human who can race a pod.
3. The commlink scan of Ani's blood gave Qui-Gon the notion that Anikin was the "one that would bring balance to the force".

Beast
02-11-2003, 04:54 PM
No, the force guided them. Because Watto even states that he's the only one that has the parts they need. It was also the force guiding them to Anakin. The force doesn't cause things to just happen, but it can influence people to do certain things.

Luke: You mean it controls your actions?

Obi-Wan: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
02-11-2003, 04:58 PM
They went to a smaller shop to avoid drawing too much attention to themselves...it has nothing to do with the force

True, but with all the "smaller shops" there they just happened to go into the shop that had the chosen one. "Finding the boy was the will of the force" - Qui-Gon Jinn

Originally posted by Keith koth
I thought he picked up on Anakin's gift based upon several things, none of which were inspired by Qui-Gon's use of the force:

Read the post again. I said the force helped him, not that he was using the force. Difference:).

keith koth
02-11-2003, 05:10 PM
No, the force guided them. Because Watto even states that he's the only one that has the parts they need. It was also the force guiding them to Anakin. The force doesn't cause things to just happen, but it can influence people to do certain things.

Nice thought...but purely speculation.

Watto is a liar and cheater...why believe that he is the only one on the planet that has the parts they need?

Ah heck, you are right! I quit :cry:

Why don't you all list the things that make you all go hmm. Maybe it is something out of place in the story line. Maybe it is something that was left "open ended" that deserves some speculation (or at least discussion). I am by no means trying to say that I am right on any of the points I make, but they do raise questions.

What is the point of calling this the spoilers forum if no one tries to figure out these unanswered/open ended plot points.

The question is could I be right? Yes

Am I right? probably not.

But if I can hit on at least a couple of spoilers in the plot of EIII, then I will be happy.

mini-rock
02-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Ahh come on!! Don't quit. I may actually have to go outside and enjoy the sun, or spend time with the family.:eek:

Seriously though I'll try & think up some good ones for later. Gonna go hit the gym.:D

LTBasker
02-11-2003, 05:33 PM

There are rings around planets here as well, I'm not sure of the size of debris in the rings, but I wouldn't doubt they're good sized, and Geonosis could very well be bigger.

scruffziller
02-12-2003, 09:32 AM

Hi all, just wanted to clear the air here. I made a post in reference to why Mace's lightsaber was purple. I did not clarify the statement good enough so what I wrote came off as offensive and believe me that was not my intent whatsoever.
I will clarify now. It has been said that Mace may be a dark side Jedi or will become one. The quote above is saying that the color of his light saber holds a deeper meaning. I believe that since purple is the darkest actual hue, that it reflects Mace's true inner nature. That he is in fact a Sith in disguise. The color may be a secret code to other Sith to let them know who he truly is since red lightsabers have become the calling card of Sith who let themselves be known. I hope this little explanation will gain any respect that I may have lost. Thanx.:)

Darkross
02-12-2003, 10:58 AM
I seriously doubt that Mace is evil in disguise...since Lucas will be hard pressed to squeeze everything in...I can' t imagine that he would blow us all away by having Mace be evil too. That means that he would have to reveal himself, and then die at the hands of another Jedi, or Anakin. Dooku, Mace, and countless other Jedi have to die in Episode III, so I don't think it's likely to happen. I believe his saber is purple mainly because he is the head of the Jedi council, and he's the only Jedi "BAD" (meaning COOL, not evil) enough to get away with having a purple lightsaber without his Jedi friends teasing him about it!

stillakid
02-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Darkross
I seriously doubt that Mace is evil in disguise...since Lucas will be hard pressed to squeeze everything in...I can' t imagine that he would blow us all away by having Mace be evil too. That means that he would have to reveal himself, and then die at the hands of another Jedi, or Anakin. Dooku, Mace, and countless other Jedi have to die in Episode III, so I don't think it's likely to happen. I believe his saber is purple mainly because he is the head of the Jedi council, and he's the only Jedi "BAD" (meaning COOL, not evil) enough to get away with having a purple lightsaber without his Jedi friends teasing him about it!

I mostly agree with that, except that the purple has absolutely no significance beyond the actor requesting a different color.

In regards to "evil Mace," I doubt that will happen either. The "bad guy" in Episode III has to be Anakin. Any additional bad guys would dilute the substory of his downfall. I believe that Mace's fate will be to die in some spectacular way which will symbolize the end of the Jedi. The battle may be uncertain to that point, but once he goes down, there will be no doubt and Yoda and friends will sound the retreat.

Rogue II
02-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I mostly agree with that, except that the purple has absolutely no significance beyond the actor requesting a different color.

In regards to "evil Mace," I doubt that will happen either. The "bad guy" in Episode III has to be Anakin. Any additional bad guys would dilute the substory of his downfall. I believe that Mace's fate will be to die in some spectacular way which will symbolize the end of the Jedi. The battle may be uncertain to that point, but once he goes down, there will be no doubt and Yoda and friends will sound the retreat.

By the way, this is from an interview with Lucas:
I posted this in another thread: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=219191#post219191

"Mace Windu is definitly gonna die, but Samuel L. Jackson requested a dramatic death scene, and he will certainly not die at the beginning of the movie"

Darkross
02-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
By the way, this is from an interview with Lucas:
I posted this in another thread: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=219191#post219191

"Mace Windu is definitly gonna die, but Samuel L. Jackson requested a dramatic death scene, and he will certainly not die at the beginning of the movie"

I would speculate that he will die within the first 1 hour and 20 minutes though!

TheDarthVader
03-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Something that made me think of Mace being a bad guy is when he tells Yoda that they must inform the senate that their ability to use the force is diminishing. Yoda then says if informed the senate is...our advesaries multiply they will. (something like that) now why wouldn't mace know that? Also, Mace kills Jango Fett when Yoda had told Obi-Wan to bring him before the council so they could question him. Mace gets rid of the "informant" by killing Jango. Kinda weird...I am not sure what to think(about Mace being good or evil). Perhaps, if he's evil, Yoda kills him on Dagobaugh...thus "that cave is strong with the dark side of the force."

scruffziller
03-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
Something that made me think of Mace being a bad guy is when he tells Yoda that they must inform the senate that their ability to use the force is diminishing. Yoda then says if informed the senate is...our advesaries multiply they will. (something like that) now why wouldn't mace know that? Also, Mace kills Jango Fett when Yoda had told Obi-Wan to bring him before the council so they could question him. Mace gets rid of the "informant" by killing Jango. Kinda weird...I am not sure what to think(about Mace being good or evil). Perhaps, if he's evil, Yoda kills him on Dagobaugh...thus "that cave is strong with the dark side of the force."

EWWWWWWWWWWWW...............................:sur: :eek: :evil:

RooJay
03-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Since the movie is PG, I doubt will see the death of children. Best thing that we could see, is CloneTroopers walking into a room of frightened Jedi kiddies, and the door shut. Lucas could include blaster fire, to ensure that everyone knows they're dead. :)

Dude! That's pretty hardcore still. I LOVE it! That being said - I'd still like to see one or two of the little buggers giving the Clones a hard time before it's over.

By the way, all of your answers have been spot on in my opinion, and are exactly the way I would've explained it. End of story.;)

Brainiak76
03-31-2003, 07:23 PM
evil mace huh? haha i luv it! that would be weird but kinda cool!! I agree also that it would take away from one jedi turning to the darkside, oh wait me too! :D i dunno..i guess will have to wait and see...

What i wanna kno is do you guys think dooku will be killed (if he does) and how?? And how will ani become half man half machine?

RooJay
04-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader

You don't suppose the fact that Mace kills Jango had anything to do with the fact that Jango was shooting lasers at him?

Also, don't you suppose it's just as likely that Mace "not knowing" that spilling the beans about the diminishing abilities of the Jedi to the senate would give the bad guys ideas had much more to do with the fact that he simply hadn't thought of that? Or perhaps that he still thought it was the proper thing to do regardless? Why should this imply at all that he is evil?

On a side note (purely specualtive) - how cool would it be to see Mace really cut loose against say...Dooku only to have Dooku escape on a getaway ship. Inside the ships cockpit we see Dooku's face full of self-satisfaction at having escaped until...he notices a strong presence emmanating from the shadows behind him. He turns to see a lightsaber snap instantly to life, it's red glow illuminating the face of his attacker...Anakin Skywalker! In a split second the camera pulls in close (think the Tusken Raider camp attack scene!) and we see Anakin's face full of hate and rage as he strikes, and the scene wipes to black!

scruffziller
04-05-2003, 09:59 AM
He also had that mean look in his eye when he said "This party's over."

Brainiak76
04-05-2003, 02:24 PM
i dunno the more i watch AOTC the my feeling about him is that hes got some sith in him! I dunno the whole movie he seems kinda shady!

Watch the first scene him yoda and some other jedis are in palpatines office! He says something then yoda looks at him like..wtf are you talkin bout, you traitor!

Ok and heres something else that makes me fo hmmm....

Not sure if this was mentioned b4 but mace's saber is purple right? some people say he just wanted to be diff, heres the head of the jedi council, blah blah blah....what color are jedis sabers=blue, sith=red...if you mix those together=PURPLE!!!!!! this could have been a hint the whole time!!!

mini-rock
04-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Brainiak76
Not sure if this was mentioned b4 but mace's saber is purple right? some people say he just wanted to be diff, heres the head of the jedi council, blah blah blah....what color are jedis sabers=blue, sith=red...if you mix those together=PURPLE!!!!!! this could have been a hint the whole time!!!

WOW!! That HASN'T been mentioned yet!!;):D

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Brainiak76

Ok and heres something else that makes me fo hmmm....

HEY NOW!!!!:mad: Don't be stealing my thunder!!!!!
I already brought up this theory of sorts!!!!!! And as you can tell by my post I got chastened because I was misunderstood the first time around!!!!

Originally posted by scruffziller
Hi all, just wanted to clear the air here. I made a post in reference to why Mace's lightsaber was purple. I did not clarify the statement good enough so what I wrote came off as offensive and believe me that was not my intent whatsoever.
I will clarify now. It has been said that Mace may be a dark side Jedi or will become one. The quote above is saying that the color of his light saber holds a deeper meaning. I believe that since purple is the darkest actual hue, that it reflects Mace's true inner nature. That he is in fact a Sith in disguise. The color may be a secret code to other Sith to let them know who he truly is since red lightsabers have become the calling card of Sith who let themselves be known. I hope this little explanation will gain any respect that I may have lost. Thanx.:)

Unkle Mike
04-21-2003, 01:03 AM
Okay -- two quick questions:

1) Had the asteroid belt around Geonosis actually been a moon prior to a superlaser test, why would they destroy the moon around their own planet? Besides aesthetic value and night light purposes for moons, it would make things extremely friggin' difficult to get on or off of the planet. After all, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3720 to 1. Why not go blow up somebody else's moon instead?

2) If midichlorians are organisms that live in the blood stream, could Joe Schmoe moisture farmer get a blood transfusion from Obiwan Kenobi and gain telekenesis? If so, why aren't there more force-adepts in the galaxy?

RooJay
04-21-2003, 11:41 AM
You just HAD to go there, didn't ya?:rolleyes:

scruffziller
04-21-2003, 01:53 PM
WHoooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh..........
deep indeed................

keith koth
04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Unkle Mike
Okay -- two quick questions:

1) Had the asteroid belt around Geonosis actually been a moon prior to a superlaser test, why would they destroy the moon around their own planet? Besides aesthetic value and night light purposes for moons, it would make things extremely friggin' difficult to get on or off of the planet. After all, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3720 to 1. Why not go blow up somebody else's moon instead?

2) If midichlorians are organisms that live in the blood stream, could Joe Schmoe moisture farmer get a blood transfusion from Obiwan Kenobi and gain telekenesis? If so, why aren't there more force-adepts in the galaxy?

1) *Maybe they did not see any use for their moon. Maybe they did not realize that the results of their weapon would be so destructive.

*It is an asteroid "BELT"...meaning that it only surrounds the planet at an equatorial location...thus the term "belt".

*Like I just said, it is an asteroid belt not an asteroid field...navigation off of the planet would be easy...just do not launch into orbit at the location where the asteroid belt is located.

*They blew up their own moon because they are located on the outer rim of the galaxy where such a test would go unnoticed...and if someone discovered the remains of the moon, then they would just assume that a large asteroid smashed into it.

2) *Not necessarily...they would need to have the same blood type.

*Also, it is probably the DNA structure of those who are adept with the force which allows the individual to "carry" so many midichlorians within their being. Remember, midis are in all living things...so something must allow some to "carry" more midis than most others.

*I would guess that if one did receive a blood transfusion from someone like Obi-Wan, then the microenvironment within that person would probably not have a sufficient carrying capacity for the excess midis...therefore, the additional midis would die off before any benefit could be gained from the transfusion.

Of course these are all just theories...but they are just as plausible as any other explaination I have seen...at least in my opinion.

stillakid
04-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Unkle Mike

I tried, but couldn't stay away. :rolleyes:

While I like your question, I think that a better one is to ask where the Midi's come from in the first place. Do they "infect" the host after birth, like something from Alien (though not as violently)? Or are they passed on from the mother during gestation (which means that mom is likely just as potent as the kid)? But from SW, we are led to believe that this trait is passed on from daddy, so there must be something in his sperm that transfers the Midi's. But from biology class, we know that only one sperm is allowed into the egg. Everything else is rejected. So taking that theory through, we have to believe that Midi's are a product of a persons DNA (ergo, a genetic trait passed on through the generations). But alas, the saga's own lore rejects that theory as it states that these little buggers are symbiotes, an entirely different organism (sentient even!).

So seeing that none of it makes any sense to begin with, any ol' rationalization is as good as the next. :)

keith koth
04-21-2003, 03:53 PM
One's ability to become a host to a particular type of symbiote can be passed genetically. There are many examples of this...however, I will make this short by giving just 1 example.

I have a particular type of skin fungus that ocassionally breaks out on my back and shoulders. My father has it, my brother has it, my father's father had it...and so on. However, only those of us in in the family that are genetically linked to my father's side of the family suffer from this condition; although everyone (genetically related or not) carry the fungus spores. We have been to several doctors in hopes of finding a cure. No doctor has ever been able to develop a cure, however; the one thing that all doctors have told us is that this fungus is genetically passed and that is why it only affects those that are related paternally.

So, now you have it! A perfectly simple explaination as to how a persons susceptability to a particular symboit can be transfered genetically.

I have always assumed that midis are genetically inherited the same way.

I hope this makes sense.

stillakid
04-21-2003, 05:29 PM
One's ability to become a host to a particular type of symbiote can be passed genetically. There are many examples of this...however, I will make this short by giving just 1 example.

I have a particular type of skin fungus that ocassionally breaks out on my back and shoulders. My father has it, my brother has it, my father's father had it...and so on. However, only those of us in in the family that are genetically linked to my father's side of the family suffer from this condition; although everyone (genetically related or not) carry the fungus spores. We have been to several doctors in hopes of finding a cure. No doctor has ever been able to develop a cure, however; the one thing that all doctors have told us is that this fungus is genetically passed and that is why it only affects those that are related paternally.

So, now you have it! A perfectly simple explaination as to how a persons susceptability to a particular symboit can be transfered genetically.

I have always assumed that midis are genetically inherited the same way.

I hope this makes sense.

I see what you're saying, but Qui Gon suggests that the Midi's are sentient, thinking, beings. I assume that your fungus is not (at least we can hope :eek: ) But more to the point, you are stating that everyone carries Midichlorian spores? And only the genetically "blessed" allow them to divide and multiply?

Darth Spectre
05-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Too me, one of the bigger head scratchers is still how Yoda knows the "Always two there are" regarding the Sith Lord, even though this is not how the Sith operated before their "extinction." This is a major faux pas that apparently is never going to be addressed by Lucas. For Yoda to know this, then he clearly had to have known for a long time the Sith were not extinct.

mini-rock
05-08-2003, 12:34 AM
The Visual Dictionary shows that the Jedi Archives vault contains the only known Sith Holocrons, whose very existence is revealed only to a handful of Jedi at the highest levels. Yoda sharing the top spot with Mace, could have learned "only two there are" from that.:)

keith koth
05-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Darth Spectre
Too me, one of the bigger head scratchers is still how Yoda knows the "Always two there are" regarding the Sith Lord, even though this is not how the Sith operated before their "extinction." This is a major faux pas that apparently is never going to be addressed by Lucas. For Yoda to know this, then he clearly had to have known for a long time the Sith were not extinct.

I have been thinking about this phrase "always two there are". Here is what I have come up with...Perhaps Yoda did not mean that there were only 2 Sith in the whole galaxy; rather, he meant that the sith always work/conspire in pairs (i.e., a master and an apprentice)...so where there is one, another is sure to be near by. Just a thought...does anyone else buy into this idea?

Brainiak76
05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
yeah works for me!! thats prob what he meant not that there are only two but they always work in pairs just like the jedi/padawan no more no less!

mini-rock
05-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I could buy that, except I think the two Sith rule is canon, and that there ARE only two Sth period. Not sure, but I'm sure someone can verify.

About there being more than just one pair of Sith, I wonder what would happen if the two pairs bumped into each other, would they fight or would they work together & try to overthrow the Jedi? That'd be cool to see a couple Sith Masters, and their apprentice's battling it out.

RooJay
05-08-2003, 06:25 PM
They'd probably fight. If not overtly, then they'd certainly conspire against each other in secret. In fact, that's exactly why there are only two - there was at one point many Sith until the infighting started as each of them started jockeying for complete control and they actually nearly wiped themselves out. All except for Darth Bane who was the one who instituted the rule of two - he would take an apprentice who would eventually supplant him as master, and taking an apprentice himself, would start the cycle again all the while planning the Sith's (hopefully if things went right for them; which we all know they did) return to power and their eventual domination of the galaxy when the time was right. (I could be mistaken but I believe that, aside from being in the Episode 1 novelization, the Dark Horse comics and all resources that draw from them, this information can also be found in the script. I even recall Lucas referring to this exact course of events once or twice in interviews and such.)

Of course, I still maintain that simply because "always two there" HAVE been does not mean that always two there will be, and that at any time one of the Sith masters could've decided that maybe they could stand to have an extra Sith or so. I suspect that it may turn out that Sidious has done just that; not that it will matter much after Vader comes along.

Darkross
05-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Yeah...they'd fight each other...but my question is why on earth would the Sith be so stinking patient? I mean...the Sith are all about greed and thirst for more power...that hardly translates to being patient. You would think that although there are only two Sith...they would make every attempt to gain more power sooner rather than always waiting for the next Sith generation to obtain the ultimate power in the universe. Why let my apprentice and his apprentice have all of the power...when I could have it just as easily. Sith are a strange species...as unlike our ancestors who worked so we could have a better life...Sith don't strike me as force users who would want someone to have things better than they or have more power than them. I dunno...am I making any sense?