PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting the Prequels

BountyHunter
02-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, I am not sure reformatting is the word I am looking for here. I am positive this has been discussed before, but I am adding a new question to the topic. My first statement is that if I were in George Lucas's shoes I would have not used so much computer animation. I understand that Lucas wants to experiment with all of these new technologies and techniques of filming. If I wanted to create a saga though, such as Lucas has done with Star Wars, I would want to keep the same "format" of filming and such.
We can relate something like this to painting a picture. Let's say that you already have completed half of your picture, now you need to complete the other half. You have this set mode of what the picture is expressing by using a color scheme. Your color scheme is vibrant, bright colors. Your picture sets a tone of happiness. Now, on the other half of the work you use dark, deep tone colors. You have two completely different set modes on your artwork!
Although, whoever said this was bad? Maybe (proba-deffinitally) this was a mode George Lucas was and is trying to set. George Lucas wants to create this beautiful galaxy, and then show the destruction of it. It makes pretty good sense too...puppets are ugly, computer animated things look nice!
Now I now this is a very nieve perception (or interpretation) of what George Lucas has molded with his saga, but it is my best explanation.
There are many other factors to this as well though. George Lucas wants to be the brave and bold man he is, he wants to set these two different modes together an relate them. Personally he has done a good job as being the first to attempt this, but not good enough.
All I am trying to say here is that in my opinion is stick to the puppets, models, and painting backrounds. Although it could be becasue I favor these over the new technologies used "poorly" or "inproperly" in most movies today.
My question is what is your thought on all this? If you were George Lucas what would you do? Feel free to share your opinions.

BountyHunter
02-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Anyone?:confused:

JediTricks
02-12-2003, 07:37 PM
If I were George Lucas, I'd roll around on a huge bed of cash and then buy a powerful laser to shoot at the moon making a hand flipping the bird to flip off every fan and naysayer at the same time. ;)

Seriously though, I went through the whole "how I'd do the prequels" thing 3 years ago with Ep 1, by now with Lucas apparently fully entrenched in doing things his way, I'm not invested enough in the prequels to put that much effort into another "how things should be" post.

BountyHunter
02-13-2003, 03:19 PM
I see

wedgeA
02-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Let me just qualify that I really do like the prequels so far, but I have yet to chime in on this so here goes...

I agree that less CGI would have been nice. Look at LOTR where they still use old fashioned "people in make-up" for many of the close-ups, and build real sets.

Storywise I would have probably started the story with an amalgam of Ep. I & II, with Anakin's discovery at a little older age and the start of the Clone Wars all in one film.

I think that there should have been more moral ambiguity in the films. It would have been nice to have Palpatine and Anakin start out as truly good and be corrupted by their power, instead of the whole Darth Sidious angle. Also, I would have like to have seen the Jedi as more passive and ineffective, maybe even a little corrupt, except for Yoda and Obi Wan. One thing that I have enjoyed in the PT is the political intrigue, and I think that it should have been a much bigger part of the story.

stillakid
02-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
Let me just qualify that I really do like the prequels so far, but I have yet to chime in on this so here goes...

I agree that less CGI would have been nice. Look at LOTR where they still use old fashioned "people in make-up" for many of the close-ups, and build real sets.

Storywise I would have probably started the story with an amalgam of Ep. I & II, with Anakin's discovery at a little older age and the start of the Clone Wars all in one film.

I think that there should have been more moral ambiguity in the films. It would have been nice to have Palpatine and Anakin start out as truly good and be corrupted by their power, instead of the whole Darth Sidious angle. Also, I would have like to have seen the Jedi as more passive and ineffective, maybe even a little corrupt, except for Yoda and Obi Wan. One thing that I have enjoyed in the PT is the political intrigue, and I think that it should have been a much bigger part of the story.

I'll second that...except for the part about enjoying the Prequels thus far. :)

BountyHunter
02-13-2003, 06:17 PM
I back that up too. Escpecially what you say about LOTR and using real makeup for characters. All I have to say is that I find it to be a much more interesting medium. What is more real than real?

JediTricks
02-14-2003, 07:09 PM
Much of Ep 1's CG-based Coruscant looked incredible, I think CG made a positive contribution there. However, I think in general practical effects are sooooo much better than CG, I prefer practicals on a 5 to 1 basis with most uses. Take Ep 2 Yoda, they desparately tried to give this muppet a sense of reality by mimmicking the ESB puppet, they added flaws and nearly-microscopic features to simulate reality but he still comes off intangible and unbelievable - he doesn't look entirely solid and he doesn't react to light the same way - thus, he stands out as being surreal.

TheDarthVader
02-27-2003, 10:27 PM
Let's all just face it and admit it right here.... THE PREQUELS SHOULD NEVER have been MADE!! Lucas "messed" up!! Who's with me?????

TheDarthVader
03-04-2003, 04:44 PM
ok..no one :) no...I think I went too far...but anyways... I feel like George should just leave them alone now...that's my opinion

Brian