PDA

View Full Version : When did you first start Collecting Star Wars?

Tycho
02-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Tell us about when YOU first started collecting Star Wars.

How old were you?

What got you started? Did you get a toy first, or see one of the movies?

Which toy(s) were your first?

(I got carded R2, Stormtrooper, and Chewie in 1978 and played with them on the couch when I was just barely "Ages 4 & Up." - and yeah - "the stormtrooper thing" started then, though I only had 4 in my vintage collection back then :cry: ) - and the landspeeder was my first vehicle! (Yee-haw! It was makin' RoadKill Jawa time! - and getting the Tusken Raider kicked butt too!)

So how has it gone on since then?

Let's chat about the good old days - or even yesterday for some of you!

stillakid
02-10-2003, 10:30 PM
...action figure was Artoo. For some reason I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I distinctly recall walking into KMart when I was a mere 8 years old and seeing a bunch of Star Wars figures hanging on pegs right next to the doors. Of course I begged mom for one. She pointed at R2 and said, "He's cute," so we took him home.

Now, some 900 or so figures later (plus a bunch of vehicles, playsets, and other Star Wars stuff) I'm still at it.

See How Many Do You Have? (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=139221#post139221) for more (yet slightly dated) detail.

Jordashebasics
02-10-2003, 10:37 PM
I voted with the ATOC...
Although I have two older brothers who had a lot of vintage stuff, and I played with that for most of my younger years, and I only got one of the vintage figures myself in a KB in the Monmouth Mall - Ree Yees.
Shortly after ATOC came out, I decided to get a sneak preview Jango for my girlfriend, who's similarily into the movies. I had it on my desk at school for most of a week, and I really wanted to open it up and play with it a little. So later that week, I went out and picked up Jango Kamino Escape. Then at the end of the week, the C-3PO. And it went on from there.

Rogue II
02-10-2003, 10:38 PM
In the 1970's (right after it all began).

I was 4 in 1977, I don't remember exactly which I got first. It was probably Luke, Ben, Vader, R2, C-3PO, and a Stormtrooper. I do remember getting the Death Star playset and an X-Wing for Christmas. I kind of quit getting the toys somewhere around ROTJ. My collection was mostly 3 3/4", but I did have the 12" Boba Fett. The majority of my vintage collection is gone.

I started again in 1995 when the POTF2 figures came out. I've stuck with the 3 3/4" figures, but I some Micromachines and Legos (and the 12" Pondo Baba that my wife bought me "because it was on clearance":rolleyes: ).

dr_evazan22
02-10-2003, 10:45 PM
I forget exactly when it was I started playing w/ the toys, don't even remember what the first one was...

At the time I was really close friends w/ a kid in the next town and we hung out every weekend together, vacationed together... So I didn't have a lot of toys. In '78 or '79 my brother and I got those 2 ft tall Shogun Wariors. I think SW came that year on my B-day. I ended up getting the DS playset, Falcon, Imp Attack Base, Troop Carrier, AT-AT (had to really beg for that one), Snowspeeder (which was actually my bro's- him being a year older he grew out of toys before me so I "inherited" it), Turret. I remember saving my allowance and buying Kiss albums at JCP and SW figs at Kresge's.

I eventually ended up commandeering a corner of the living room to set up my SW fort. I would play w/ them for hours. The AT-AT and Falcon were my fav's.

I ended up growing out of them in the 7th grade, 12-13 years old. Boxed up everything and put it in the attic until I moved out.

I got back into collecting SW in '95 w/ the new line and the Illusive Original Yoda, and the rest is history...

DarthBrandon
02-10-2003, 10:45 PM
I've been collecting since 1977-78, so that's about 26 years. I was seven when I first started collecting.:D

Figurestasher
02-10-2003, 10:55 PM
I began in 1979, when my parents bought me my first figures. I was a litlle young then at 3-4, but eventually I collected them all loose within a few years and played with them ofcourse! I still have them though. Then I started collecting them carded at the end of 1995 with the orange cards..sorry I hate calling them red cards. As for now I am still at it but I like vintage still the best. The POTJ line was impressive though.

Lord Malakite
02-10-2003, 11:16 PM
1995 -1996 (at the start of the renaissance - red cards)

I was just born when ROTJ was in Theaters, so I couldn't start any earlier than I did.

Thunderstorm1
02-10-2003, 11:47 PM
I started in 1977. I remember my first figures were R2, 3PO, and Chewbacca.

My first vehicle was the landspeeder.

All of which are still in nice condition, being that I used to play with them daily!:)

bobafrett
02-11-2003, 12:49 AM
I remember coming out of the theatre at age 12 after seeing Star Wars for the first time. I thought they had actually shot the film in space with the X-wings and the TIE fighters.

My first toy that I can recall, was actually a Star Wars puzzle. I remember it being the shot of Han and Chewbacca pointing their weapons as they were blasting at Imperial troops.

My collection really started to come around, when they rereleased the films in the SE format. And now there isn't a room in my place that doesn't have some Star Wars toy or poster in it.

Jerjerrod
02-11-2003, 12:56 AM
I was born in the late 70's so I am an 80's kid. I owned lots of ESB and ROTJ when I was young. But when I moved, all the toys were lost as I was left with 2 figures :( , Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader, both with their blades and vinyl capes missing.

So when POTF2 resurfaced in 1995, I became a carded collector, and when the FF figures were out, I was obsessed! I found the sculpts amazingly detailed and accurate. Finally, I totally loved my favorite line, Power of the Jedi, which is a collector's dream come true.

Today, I'm still kicking in high gear in Star Wars collecting, but sometimes grow tired of Hasbro's decisions. But overall, Hasbro/Kenner was the company that set the standard for action figures, and made Star Wars the huge success that it is today.

Way to go!

darth maul rat
02-11-2003, 02:08 AM
I think you could really say that I backed into Star Wars. When the movie came out in '77, I was a 7 year old kid who thought the world revolved around the Six Million Dollar Man. So, by and large, SW came and went without a blip on my radar screen.

Then, in September of that year we moved from Tupelo, MS to Indianapolis. The elementary I started going to was Star Wars central. EVERYBODY had Star Wars stuff, and I do mean everybody. Even our art teacher had the Burger Chef posters up.

So, in an attempt to fit in, I started getting the cards and trying to read my brother's copy of the book. The problem with seeing the movie was that it had only played in one theatre, and it was way on the other side of town. So, I looked long and hard at the two sets of cards that I had, trying to piece the events together, until finally my mother broke down and took us to see it in mid-October. And I have not been the same since.

It seems like the first figure that I got was Chewbacca and then R2-D2. I finally got the Luke figure in '78 for Easter.

So, I am not an original Star Wars fan, but I got in soon after, and have been firmly on board ever since.

One final note, my son was born in April of '98, and when Episode One came out in '99, my wife was still having problems with leaving him (firstborn and all) so three weeks passed before I got out to see it. Much like in '77, I spent those weeks piecing together just enough of the plot so that I would know what was going on, but not too much as to ruin the surprise.

jjreason
02-11-2003, 02:22 AM
I started at 6 yrs of age in 1978. The ads for the toys hooked me. I had a few toys and had read the picture story books as well as the novelization of Star Wars (in grade one - point of pride) before seeing the movie for the first time with my dad.

My first figure was Luke. He was lonely on my dresser for a few weeks until my younger brother was the lucky recipient of Darth Vader. Chewie was third, that's as far as I can recall. I do remember getting Han and Leia in my stocking that Christmas, as well as the Landspeeder, XWing and Falcon. My best Christmas ever - well until I had my own kids anyway. It really has been part of my life for nearly as long as I can remember.

skeeziks22
02-11-2003, 03:24 AM
My brother got the first set of figures. Not sure if my folks got him the early bird package or not. I was only 3 when he had his first figures so I couldn't touch them. He was very careful with them. Finally around 1979 he let me play with them, but only in his room and only when he was there.
After a year of knocking on his door and after the release of Empire I "inherited" his New Hope toys and I added to them with Empire toys. I expanded the collection buying every new figure I could find from then on. I bought multiple stormtroopers, hoth rebels and stormtroopers etc... anything that made sense to have many of. I avoided the R2 with pop up lightsaber, and to this day that remains the only vintage figure I do not have in my collection (anyone out there looking to off-load one)... at that time how many R2's did you want?
I remember finding the POTF figures for 50 cents at TRU in '85 or early '86. I dug through them looking for figures I did not have. Little did I know the value of those figures on their cards (or off for that matter) in 20 years. Damn me for not being able to predict the future when I was 10.

With the new figures I am on the ball. However, I wish they would stop making the same damn figure over and over. Make one han that has the Endor bombs, stormtrooper belt, quick draw action, jointed knees etc... we don't need one for each feature (take the 100th 12 inch figure as a guide). Hey, why not make an endor han with AT-ST driver helmet? (that one I would buy, because I buy them all)... I don't drink much, and I don't smoke so I feel I'm allowed this habit.

Green Jedi
02-11-2003, 03:48 AM
I was born in August, '77. I don't remember exactly when I got my first figures, but I think I was maybe 2 or 3. They were Luke, Chewie, R2 and 3PO. Those are the first toys that I remember, and it just went on from there. I played with them all as a kid. I have distint memories of playing with the Millennium Falcon and all my figures. Those old figures are pretty worn, and I lost most of the accessories, and a few of the figures themselves, but I still have most of them, including three the first four (I lost the Luke at some point :cry: ) But I still do have most of them. The collection just grew from there, and is still growing, and now includes the action figures and a multitude of other memorabelia.

jonthejedi
02-11-2003, 06:52 AM
I've got you all beat...I just turned 50...I guess I was about 24 when I started collecting, and I'm still going strong. I have all original figures loose, including Yak-face, with all accessories intact. Even back then we opened them. I maybe only have 6 or 7 in original packages. My first figures were Luke & Darth Vader. Now my 6-year old is into it...he has some mint-in-box, and others opened that he plays with...which is as it should be!!!

187-Maul
02-11-2003, 07:28 AM
I got my first figure from a friend in 1995, it was Chewbacca, and that was when I started buying them myself
I had actually played with the vintage stuff before since the older brother of another friend had about every single vintage fig (and he even had 3 AT-AT's) and let us play with them every time I was around and he even gave me Luke in Stormtrooper disguise (without helmet) which I still have today so basicly that was my first figure, but I really started collecting when the new figs came out
BTW, I was born in 1986 so I didn't really have a chance to buy the vintage figs in stores

shabo451
02-11-2003, 07:44 AM
I was 10 years old and just about to go to my grandparents house when the early bird package came in the mail. I took it with me and spent the entire time playing and admiring the figures (though I do remember being disappointed that they weren't the same size as the popular Mego figures that I had-though, from what I've read, even the heads of the now defunct company kicked themselves for passing on Star Wars)

jedi-cpa
02-11-2003, 08:23 AM
If I remember correctly were my first toys.

Than for Christmas I got the death Star Space Station with all the figs except for Han Solo (went out and got him shortly after).

Quite-Gone Jim
02-11-2003, 08:57 AM
I voted I started collecting in 95 - 96, because that's when I started collecting the action figures.

I had most of the figures from the original release through ROTJ, but I was between ages 2 and 10 when I got them. I played with my toys and had a ton of fun. However, most of them ended up getting destroyed or pretty close to it. So I don't consider that collecting. All I've got left are a stormtrooper (a nice yellow color), Darth Vader (with the great orange lightsaber that you push out his arm), and the Jawa in cloth robe. All the rest are missing limbs, heads, etc.

But starting with POTF2, all the figures are in Mint condition and part of my large display. I only play with them occasionally, and I'm much gentleer now.

Casual George
02-11-2003, 10:04 AM
In the summer of 1977 I was six years old and I will never forget seeing Star Wars for the first time.... My first figures were Luke and a Stormtrooper... I've been collecting ever since.

Imperial Loyalist
02-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Summer of '78. I was six years old.

Initially received a Luke Skywalker which I treasured as an ewok mother would treasuer her cub.

My mother bought me Luke because the other figures had guns and she felt it would not be appropriate to buy a figure with a gun as it was sending children the wrong message.

After getting home that day I met a friend who wanted to go to the park. Unfortunately I decided to "show off" and on the way to the park we came across a street drain. Deciding to "show-off" and use my imagination I put Luke between the bars and pretended he was in a "trash compactor" scenario.

My friend watched as Luke valiently struggled between the bars and then suddenly plunged downward to be lost forever into the darkness of the London Ontario sewer system.

Knowing that I had lost this valiant farmboy forever I turned to my friend (whose name I have long forgotten - unlike my first action figure) and told him "I think I have to go home now".

We parted at the cursed sewer and as I walked home I began to cry passionatly as only a little boy who has lost his only important possession in life could cry.

My mother comforted me on my return and of course the only way she could get to stop wailing uncontrollably was to promise to purchase Chewbacca who of course had a gun and who I desired more than a Hutt desires t'wilek dancing girls in chains.

We purchased Chewbacca shortly thereafter and I vowed I would never lose a Star Wars again. I still have that original Chewbacca and all but a handful of figures mass produced since then.

Yes I probably should have been in therapy as I still have this desire to collect atleast one of every single figure produced. In any event Star Wars has consumed this young man who continues to seek forgiveness and acceptance by purchasing the "offspring" of that first ancestoral Luke Skywalker lost forever to the darkness and lonliness of the sewers.

Maximillian Phokas
02-11-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm right up there with Tycho and Stillakid. Waaaaaaaay back in 1979 I got Artoo, Threepio, Chewie and a Stormtrooper for Christmas, and to this day they are sitting happily in my Darth Vader carrying case.

Ever since then I've been hooked, and have nearly picked up all the Vintage line stuff. The Artoo is still my favorite figure and was played with the most. Of course back then, figures were anywhere between 1 and 2 dollars! We used to fill up the car with 20$ worth of toys! Now $20 is a nice downpayment on either a large vehicle, or something i really want on eBay - ah inflation :)

The funny thing is that I remember in 1986 when the Kenner line was on its deathbed, and thought that this was the end. If there was anything else I wanted, I'd have to go to private collectors. I remember a dealer who was selling Vintage toys back then, and was asking a whopping $250 for a mint 12" IG-88, and that was like a fortune to me! Heh, if i only knew then what I know now.....

Not to get off track here, but I kind of enjoyed hunting for those figures a lot more than the newer lines because there were no major variations, or store exclusives (except some playsets). Everything was evenly distributed and it was no problem finding all your favorite things, either the "popular" human characters, or the non-human characters. The only major reget I have, and still remember is one day i was at Toys R Us, and there was a whole shelf of Ewoks and Droids figures. There were two or three Droids Boba Fetts there, and I was like "Nah, I already have him from ESB" GAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! :)

LusiferSam
02-11-2003, 11:47 AM
I had to go with 80's. I am too young to have been around for SW, but not EBS. So my first figure was Yoda. Having begged my parents for months for any SW toys, my grandma got him as a gift on one of her visits (aren't grandparents great). From there I ended up with about 40 figures, a few playsets and one vehicle. But to me these were just toys, toys that I never got rid of, but just toys.

That changed in '94 went I found there was a market for vintage SW toys and I could buy stuff I didn't get as a kid. From this point on I'd consider myself a collector. And I've been collecting since.

TK421
02-11-2003, 11:54 AM
I started late :)
I was 8 i think and it was around 95. thats when I got my first star wars figure, Darth vader long saber on a RC :D
then I needed more so I got a At St, Han, leia, a stormie and boba fett.
man, those were good times. :D
I got a ton of stuff for my following birthday too.
now it's been a desease ever since.

Turbowars
02-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Well I'm 27 and I guess that would have made me 3 when ANH was released. I saw it at my Grandparents house on "ON TV", it was some huge cable box with an on and off switch, kind a funny now. Anyways, I never had any of the vintage toys, but a R2. My gig was GI-Joe and Transformers, but I loved SW with all my heart (I know, I know). I started collecting the POTF2 back in 95. I went to a TRU for a b-day gift and right next to TRU was a collectors store. I looked to my right and I saw a Vader and R2 on some pegs. My heart skipped a beat and I asked, when did these come on? The scalper told me they just came out. I ran back it to TRU and there was nothing. I got a early taste of the hobby. Later that week I walked into KB and bought my 1st OC figures (there Orange, not RED) I believe it was Chewy and C-3PO? But now that I have over a 1000 carded figures I have no Idea. Well thats it.

chrisc
02-11-2003, 12:55 PM
I started in '95. For most of my life I hated Star Wars because my mom told me they had demons and evil creaters in it. Over time a few of my friends were playing with figures and I took a interest. I finally decided to get in it completley and bought some figures. My first figure was the AT-ST driver. he was so cool. I have him standing on my bookshelf right now here in Hawaii. He's still my favorite. When I joined the army I was able to convince my mom to keep up with my collection because its hard and expensive to buy some figures in other countries. I guess she felt sorry for me. I now have some six hundred figures and thirty eight ships.

scruffziller
02-11-2003, 01:32 PM
I was getting the toys from the OT back in the 80s but was limited to my parents getting them for me. So I didn't officially restart until 1999. My first fig was Boba Fett.

Originally posted by chrisc
I started in '95. For most of my life I hated Star Wars because my mom told me they had demons and evil creaters in it.

Yes we share a similar history except I loved SW. I had the same problem with my dad. He made my mom take back a bunch of figs from ROTJ because he thought they looked like "little hairy demons" reffering to the Ewoks.

Kidhuman
02-11-2003, 02:43 PM
Man you're asking me to dig my memory banks. I was about 4 or 5 when I got my first figures. They were Luke X-wing Pilot, Ben Kenobi, Chewbacca, and Greedo. I got the toys before my parents took me to see the movie. I stopped collecting probably around 86 and started again when the new ones came out in 95 like everyone else most likely.

adamsith
02-11-2003, 02:49 PM
My first star wars figure was han solo in stormtrooper disguise.
It was a kelloggs promotion.
I started collecting in 1995.

Kidhuman
02-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
. In '78 or '79 my brother and I got those 2 ft tall Shogun Wariors.

Dude I had those too. Dang I forgot all about them. I used to shoot my SW figures with those red and white missiles that shot out of everywhere.

stillakid
02-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Dude I had those too. Dang I forgot all about them. I used to shoot my SW figures with those red and white missiles that shot out of everywhere.

I didn't get those, but Micronauts were high on my want list as well. One of my best Christmas's was after opening my BattleCruiser.

bobafett07728
02-11-2003, 04:02 PM
I voted for the 80's. . .

I grew up on Star Wars. My brother had all the original stuff from A New Hope, so I just took the baton and ran with it. I belive my first figure was Lando Calrissian, Bespin. I know I got it at a "Child's World". My brother got someone too (Can't remember), and we played with them in the back of the station wagon the way home. Of course I didn't get every single toy back then, I did get a lot. I didn't play with anything else either, only Star Wars. I picked up figures up until they were no longer available at retail. I think my last Kenner purchase was a B-Wing Pilot for a quarter at "Toy Liquidators."

Of course when POTF2 came out. . . I had to get everything, and I have been a 'completeist' ever since. The cool thing about being older, and having a little extra cash is being able to go back and complete my vintage collection. I absolutely love my POTF2 collection, but my memories are with the vintage stuff. I hope to one day have a complete collection of Vintage Kenner toys (Loose or boxed). . . but that's still a long way off.

SNAYSON
02-11-2003, 05:20 PM
LUKE WAS MY FIRST FIGURE. HAD GONE THROUGH ABOUT 5 OF THEM CAUSE I KEEP LOSING THEM.

TheDarthVader
02-11-2003, 06:09 PM
My family was not very wealthy, so I did not get that many toys at all. We weren't poor but we weren't quite middle class either. The only SW figure I remember having when I was young was a ROTJ Endor rebel soldier. But I voted for 1995 because I had a job and could afford the many figures that I had always wished I had. I now have about 270 carded figures from 1995-now. The first POTF2 figure that I bought was Obi-Wan Kenobi with long lightsaber. I was born in 1980, so I did not have an opprotunity to buy any of the early figures.

JediTricks
02-11-2003, 06:58 PM
I believe it was either '79 or '80, my grandmother got me the X-wing and pretty much every figure at the time to go with it. After ROTJ, I was very much into SW figures and wanted Leia as Boushh and Luke Jedi but could only find junk like Squid Head littering shelves, I remember in '85 or '86, Pic-n-Save (Big Lots now) had a huge blowout of SW product, I picked up a landspeeder and some models (A-wing and the Falcon I remember very clearly). After that, no product for 7 years except at the Star Tours ride which I loved dearly, but had a poor toy selection.

In late '93, I remember finding the 3 Star Wars Micro Machines "SPACE" 3-packs and buying the ANH and ESB ones, that rekindled my SW toy hobby and the '95 POTF2 line (specifically Stormtrooper Han giveaway) as well as the '96 Action Fleet line (specifically Luke's X-wing and the Snowspeeder) really kicked that into overdrive.

executor
02-11-2003, 08:22 PM
My parents were kind enough to get me started before I was even old enough to remember in the 70's. Personally, my first memory of buying one is still the pride of my collection - the 1980's 14" Darth Vader with cape. Since, my collection has continued to grow (esp. since my income and "contributions" from family and friends over the years keeps rising ;) - so much so that I created a database of all the items (well.. almost all) in my collection and built a web site around it so my family and friends could see what I have and don't have (got tired of hearing... "but I don't know what you DON'T have"... lol) :D *whew* not bad for what started as a handful a figures to a small kid in the 70's

Executor

TEE KAY-421
02-11-2003, 09:14 PM
I GOT MY FIRST FIGURE WHEN I WAS 4 YEARS OLD IN 1978.

THAT FIGURE WAS DARTH VADER.

THIS AFTERNOON I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND THE SILVER TOY FAIR DARTH VADER FOR A REASONABLE PRICE!!!

THE THRILL NEVER ENDS.

...MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU, ALWAYS.

dwall16294
02-11-2003, 11:53 PM
I was 10 when the first movie came out in '77 and I had to wait till the early spring of '78 before the toys started showing up in stores. When your 10 years old thats a long time to wait. These days most kids would have totally forgot about a movie after that long, much less wanted any toys from it.

The first thing I got was the landspeeder because that was the first thing I found. The figures were still hard to come by and trips to Toys R Us were once a week on Friday nights with mom and dad. My parents got me the first set of figures and the xwing for my birthday in March 78. I was so excited.

I still buy them today -just for my collection. I don't play anymore. I'll let my son do that. Sometimes I'm excited about new figures too. I just wish they were still under $2 each! btw- the x wing was $15 and the landspeeder was about $4 or $5.

bobafrett
02-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Did anyone get caught doing the 5 finger discount? I did. I was at a KB in Aurora, and I was visiting my mom. I was in 8th grade, and I decided to liberate 3 or 4 figures from their packages. I never made it out of the store. A customer had seen me, and reported me to the employees. I had to go to court, and my mom had to tell my dad since my court date was on a school day. I was in fear, my dad was angry, and the whole trip home from my moms to my dads, I knew I was going to get a beating. I remember when I got home after having to empty my pockets of the figures, I had found a Tusken Raider in my sock. I threw it in the trash, because I was afraid that additional charges would be brought up against me.

I was grounded to my room, and was able to talk my dad out of a spanking (which I deserved), and he took all my Star Wars collection away. He did lift me by the neck with his arm, kind of like Vader did to the captain in ANH. I remember the look on his face, I had let him down.

Why do I bring this up? To all you young collectors, it is better to save and pay for your collection, than to risk having it on your record as a shoplifting. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I have a new respect for every purchase I make, and if I can't afford it, oh well, I can pick it up later on eBay!

swoop_jockey
02-12-2003, 01:44 AM
I started collecting (playing with my toys) figures in the early 80's and had about 60 figures and a few vehicles and playsets. I stopped collecting Star Wars and collected G.I. Joe figures and vehicles. I got married and I sold all my old toys at a yard sale (stupid) . I didn't start collecting again until potj was about half way through. I only collect the basic figures (carded) figures and only a few rare items that aren't carded figures. Right Now i have 849 different carded figures from 12 back on up though Saga. I am a big variation fan and keep no duplicates of anything. All my figures are in star cases and I use up almost 600 sqare feet of wall space to display them.

I love collecting Star Wars but it is hard to keep my 7, 5 and 2 year old boys out of them and explain that those are daddy's toys.

My favorite figures are my #8 of 20 japan tour mara jade and aura sing i picked up while stationed in japan. I also am proud of my Freeze Frame Weequay, Takara rocket firing C3PO (mint in box) autographed toy fair silver vader, my army of 3 MTT Japan Pepsi Cooler Boxes and both color variations of the Marmit Boba Fett.

kool-aid killer
02-12-2003, 07:48 AM
I was born in 83 so i missed out on all the original figures. My parents had rented the movies and from there i became a fan. i was able to get a few though and i will always remember going to a KB toystore and my mother buying me my lone carded figure (general madine) of the originals. She had always told me and my older brother that if she would have known we would have been star wars geeks she would have collected as many as she could have for us. When i saw them in 95 i was overjoyed and ive been collecting since then.

Rogue II
02-12-2003, 08:34 AM
How did you play with your toys? I only had one Stormtrooper, so he was "killed" quite frequently when I played with the toys. I ended up having a some decent battles using my Star Wars, GI Joe, and 3 3/4" Fisher Price figures.

Originally posted by SNAYSON
LUKE WAS MY FIRST FIGURE. HAD GONE THROUGH ABOUT 5 OF THEM CAUSE I KEEP LOSING THEM.

I didn't lose my Luke, but his head fell off and had to be glued back on. Come to think of it, my brother and cousin broke my Hammerhead figure's leg off but my parents managed to screw the leg back on.

My original C-3PO broke one of his arms, just above the wrist, but I ended up getting the ESB break apart version.

Does that make my parents some of the pioneers of Star Wars customizers?:crazed:

...and was it just me, or were the pieces to the X-Wing, Millenium Falcon, and Death Star very easy to loose? I had better luck with the TIE Fighter and Landspeeder.

Dark Marble
02-12-2003, 09:46 AM
My first toys was for my 6th birthday. I got a Slave I, a Lando, and a yoda. I had never seen any of the movies, and really didn't know anything about the toys, but it was huge and I wanted to be part of it. I remember going target after school with my mom to buy them. Wow what a great memory. That was 21 years ago, but I still remember that birthday. Wow. :happy: :cry:

Kidhuman
02-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by swoop_jockey

I love collecting Star Wars but it is hard to keep my 7, 5 and 2 year old boys out of them and explain that those are daddy's toys.

I have a five year old step son and he keeps asking me if he can open them. I have to tell him no all the time and that they are mine. Its hard when all they want to do is rip them open and lose all the accessories.

Dr Zoltar
02-12-2003, 01:50 PM
I was 5 when my father took me to Star Wars. I don't remember what was the first figure I bought was, but I know I used to save my allowance for them. I vaguely remember my mother buying the Darth Vader head carrying case when I graduated from grade school. And I remember when I bought certain figures: Greedo, Jawa, 21-B. My father once told me they would be worthless - boy was he wrong.

I never played outside with them and kept all their accessories in zip-lock bags. To this day I have all the vintage figures (mail away as well) with all their accessories -- everything up to the line that came with the coins. I'm so glad I didn't play with them outside like all my friends did. My Liea is still as white as she was when I first got her! I just wish I kept the cards they came on.

jedi master sal
02-12-2003, 03:21 PM
I know some of you may find this hard to believe but it IS absolutely true...

My first SW toy was a die-cast Y-wing that I got for a Christmas present in 1976. Yes, you see it right. This was well before the Original. I remember it so well because when I first saw the Y-wings I thought that they (whom ever had done the movie, I was 7 so I didn't know anything about producers/directors) ripped off the idea. Also, I was a little angry because they changed the color from RED (which is what the die-cast "stripes" were painted as) to YELLOW.

I too had those awesome Shogun warriors, wish I still did, they rocked!

During the early years I can remember some significant happenings, such as:

Darth Vader's head popped off. This happened to three figures of him until the lucky 4th one survived. It was not due to excessive play but I rather think poor quality. This also happened to one of my BIG headed Han's.

During the ESB collecting run, I can specifically remember my first custom. I had accidently cut the right hand off of a snowtrooper, so in the back yard with my back to the window I "grafted" really cut and carefully melted the plastic on the hub which was now at the elbow and attached a blaster to it. So my Snowtrooper had a blaster rifle for an arm. He was my favorite for a long time.

I jumped for joy when my mom bought me the snowspeeder. I had come home from school one day, rather dejected because my birthday had passed and I barely got anything. My BD is Aug 28th and it was the first week of school after this. Anyway, when I came home, lo and behold on my bed was the boxed snowspeeder. My mom came in after me and I gave her one of the biggest hugs I had ever given her in my life. I think I was 11 at this time.

During the ROTJ toy collecting, I again jumped for joy when I received the Max Rebo set. He was awesome with that big round piano thingy!

Then came the DARK times......My gradnparents threw out everything when we (my mom and I) moved in with them. They sited that I was too old for toys. I was 13 and devastated! I remember oh so well getting up in the middle of the night with a shoebox (it's all I had at the time) and going through the trash. I found almost all of my Hoth set: Rebel soldiers, snowtroopers and such. All in all I "saved" about 20 figures. Over time these were thrown away by them as well.

Now I have only about 6 vintage figs and they weren't my originals but rather from a toy retro store we have here in Pittsburgh.

Okay, so now to brighter times, fast forward to 1995. I had completed my tour in the Navy during Desert Shield/Storm, and had moved back to the 'Burgh. I was now enrolled in Art School and was once again living with my grandma and mom. I was 26 (1995). I can remember going out to a mall by me and for some reason checking out the toy store. I hadn't been to one in about 7 years!

To my amazement there all clean and bright were STAR WARS FIGURES!!!!!

Whoo-hoo, I was immeditely hooked. I am now a near-completist/army builder and have a rather impressive collection IMHO. Many thousand of dollars have gone into it and I look forward to the next 15 years of collecting.

Now, I just need that big house that my fiancee and I have been talking about, to hold all of my stuff.

Hoped you liked my "brief" SW collecting history.

JediTricks
02-12-2003, 07:05 PM
You should sue your grandparents. :D

I forgot, one of the things that changed my hobby life was during that Pic-n-Save sale in '86, I got all the Micro Collection world sets. I played with that Hoth set every day for like a year, I loved that thing. My love for micro-sized toys carried over the following year with Micro Machines (a lot of which were taken away by teachers at school) and later SW Micro Machines. :happy:

02-12-2003, 07:28 PM
I easily remember getting a C-3PO as my first figure in 1979. I was about five. I wanted the R2-D2 but decided, since the knee joints in the 3PO were articulated and could bend, that it was the neater figure. I wasn't thrilled to open it up and find that I was wrong. My first ship was a Landspeeder - still one of my favorite toys and Star Wars ships.

Kidhuman
02-12-2003, 11:51 PM
I wish I still had my vehicles and playsets. I lost them all in moves and just plain trashing them. I still have alot of vintage loose figures(about 85 of them) and some playset stuff. I have Jabba(but no throne) Rancor, Taun Taun, wampa(hand is chewed thanks to my dog at the time) and about 7 12". My favorite is IG-88 and Boba Fett. They are nowhere near complete but still got em.

Me and my brother used to set up the good and bad guys on opposite ends of our room and meet somewhere in the middle and battle it out. My favorite playset was probably the Imperial Attack Base. I loved the collapsing ice bridge and bunker that blew-up. I always wanted the Ewok Village but never got it. I am gonna check E-Bay for it and try to find a good price on a complete one. I ran acroos a guy selling all his old star wars stuff but didn't have the money to purchase it. It was 100 dollars for 40 figures and about 10 vehicles and other stuff. I wish I could of got those.

Thanks Tycho for helping me unlock these memories of yesteryear.:D

bobafrett
02-13-2003, 12:29 AM
Yes, it has been truely enjoyable. I just wish I had a bigger place to display my collection. But every morning I get to wake up and I'm surrounded on 4 sides by Star Wars toys, that I haven't minded for one minute spending my hard earned money on. I've also been given many things like stickers, books, pez dispersers, and an assortment of other SW memorbilia.

My Dad has never been a fan, nor supported my collecting.

plasticfetish
02-13-2003, 02:37 AM
"In the 1970's (right after it all began)"

It all started with that package in the mail ... the early bird set. I remember the plastic tray and those 4 figures as being pretty much the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. I was big on Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Mego Dolls and the Bionic Man also ... but this was Star Wars.

jeffonthego
02-13-2003, 03:43 AM
Don't remember what my first figure was, though 1977's Artoo has got to be my most worn out won. My earliest memory of the thrill of buying one is opening up my first (now of many) Tusken Raiders with his vinyl cape and 'perfect' posture.

First ship I can remember is Luke's X-Wing, though my favourite were my not one, but two original AT-ATs (sadly discarded by my mother for $5 each at a garage sale in 1985 . . . I still remember the day). Also fond memories of my original four-storey Death Star, with my intact trash compactor, with creature and all foam carefully maintained (until also discarded by my mother for $5 in 1985, argh!).

Luckily, those were the only things she got rid of (the ones 'too big' for our move from a house to an appartment), and I still have the rest today. I collected every figure from ANH, ESB and all except the last wave of ROJ (too old at 13 for Star Wars . . . or so I though then, he he).

My toys and my hobby lay dormant, untouched in boxes for a dozen years or so, moved from closet to closet (to the chagrin of my mother! lol) until that fateful day in 1995 when, much to my incredible surprise, I came across in a Toys 'R Us aisle . . . Stormtroopers!

Yes, it's been all downhill since (for my bank account), but uphill for my rekindled youthful spirit. Though, sadly, I must say that my enthusiasm is waning somewat these days. Maybe it's a case of being spoiled, but with so much stuff (far beyond even what I as an adult am willing to spend), having lost the urge to build a collection, I'm finding myself picking up less and less just the odd really cool thing that I must have.

In a way, I feel like it's deja vu with the mid-1980s for me. While I am eagerly waiting for the final movie, just like with my collecting at the time of ROJ as a kid, I'm really wondering whether I see my interest carrying in buying new toys extending beyond the last movie (with the initial enthusiasm for the 'coolest' stuff from that film) . . . Anyone else feel like this?

OC47150
02-13-2003, 03:03 PM
I started collecting in the 70s. I was eight when ANH came out.

The toys went into storage when I went into high school in the mid-80s. By then, though, SW toys were becoming scarce and it wasn't cool to play with dolls/action figures.

I got everything out of storage during the Renaissance and it's stayed on display since.

I remember getting the Death Star playset and the Falcon for one Christmas, and visiting the local five and dime store and looking at the figure display. I also remember the Saturday morning ads for the figures and asking Mom to look for Han and Chewie when she went out shopping.

Han and Chewie were the first red card figures I bought.

Cam Wan
02-16-2003, 06:27 PM
I can remember bein 4 years old and sitting i the back of a Ford LTD station wagon and watching Star Wars at a drive in with my friend Erik. That Christmas it must have been, (or at least I seem to remember) getting a certificate for my early bird set. I also remember my set coming distincly because the delivery guy brought it to the front door and not the normal back door. If I had only known then! Incidently I also remember getting my 12 inch IG88 at Christmas after ESB and in the package the right foot was broken off. I was convinced Santa didn't like me.

Turbowars
02-16-2003, 07:30 PM
That's sad dude, Santa love you bro.:crazed: