PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Stewart, Done as Picard? Say it ain't so.

icatch9
02-11-2003, 11:26 AM
In Lee's Action figure Toy Review (not the #1 place for movie gossip, but it has this story) a report said that Patrick Stewart probally will not return to the Captains chair in another Star Trek film. He says he feels as if he's worn out his welcome. He said he's like an athlete that has stayed in the league when he should have retired. This is sad news for Trekkies. This revolation added with the lacluster performance of Nimiesis at the box office may spell doom for the Star Trek movie franchise.

Sad news to say the least as Picard is such a strong character. I cannot see anything being done with Captian Riker and his new ship. Also I can't see a DS9 movie or an "Enterprise" movie. Never say never.

IMO they need something to make people want to watch. What really jump started Captian Kirks movie carrer was his battle with Kon. Thus a story line that alowed a couple of movies to be made after that. These "stand alone" Next Generation Movies just arn't hitting the target. I think that Picards archenemy is Q. Star Trek: Q sounds like a great movie and could be simply awsome. Plus, Q has the power to bring all the captians of all the Star Trek shows together. Can you imagin a movie with Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and Archer. Wow, what a punch.

Alas, it will never happen :(.

Jayspawn
02-11-2003, 01:37 PM
I can sympathize with Partick Stewart, while Picard is a great Star Trek character, the time of The Next Generation is over. Just like it is with the Original Series. That doesn't mean that it isn't good or that we don't like it. I'm an Original Series fan myself. But the time has come where we have to sit back and enjoy it.

Lord Malakite
02-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I think that Picards archenemy is Q. Star Trek: Q sounds like a great movie and could be simply awsome.

The only problem with that is Q isn't a real Star Trek villian. He is just a troublemaker.

icatch9
02-11-2003, 02:40 PM
What makes a real vilian? He is a trouble maker, but isn't he a vilian. I mean he threatened to wipe out all mankind in one snap of his fingers. That sounds pretty enemy like to me.

Lord Malakite
02-11-2003, 03:15 PM
He has helped many times as well, such as in the TNG series finale.

For what reason though, he doesn't benefit either way.

He just doesn't fit the profile of a villain.

Beast
02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Good for Patrick Stewart. I'm sure he's sick of being best known for Captain Picard. He's played the roll since 1987. I can understand him just wanting to move on to other projects. More power to him. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
02-11-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm not going to debate what makes a villian and what doesn't. All I'm saying is Q can be very mean and very mysterious. He doen't need reasons for doing anything that he does. Since he can do anything a writer could be free to write any kind of story he wanted with Q at the center. Thus, it could be one heck of a ride. Couldn't be any worse than Insurection :).

It's nice that Stewart is perhaps moveing on. Nothing is stopping him from doing other movies. I don't think he's type cast as Picard. After all he landed a huge role as Prof. X. It didn't hurt that he's the spitting image of Prof. X, but still a good role. I don't think one ST movie every 3 years would hurt his career or his walet. OH well, we'll never understand what it like to be a famous actor until we are a famous actor.

wedgeA
02-11-2003, 05:34 PM
I think the TNG finale was the definitive Picard-Q moment, no need to tarnish that with another movie.

As for Stewart, I have read those comments reported on IMDB, so I think they are somewhat reilable. I don't know though, given time and the sting of the failure of Nemesis lightens, I think that TPTB could coax Stewart back for another go-round.

JediTricks
02-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Meh, not the first time a Trek actor has said and/or been rumored to never return. I would be sad to see Stewart not return as this character, but I can understand it. Still, I would like to see Stewart and the rest of the TNG cast pull a "Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country" as a quality sign-off for the fans.

Adam
02-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeah, they need to pull off a decent TNG movie again, before he can retire.:D

LTBasker
02-11-2003, 08:43 PM
I know his plan, he's retiring just so Berman can't mess with Picard anymore and have Stewart be his little puppet. :D

I don't blame him for doing it, actually I wonder if he'd be at least willing to take over part of the reigns of Star Trek if Berman and Braga were fired. I'm sure Jonathon Frakes would be.

JediTricks
02-11-2003, 09:59 PM
If Berman were gone, I would welcome almost anybody else. :D

icatch9
02-12-2003, 08:54 AM
I agree that the TNG cast didn't have a good send off. We just assume that they are out star hopping forever. The end of this movie didn't exactly give that closure needed. Sure, Data is dead (sort of), Riker and Dianna are married and on thier own ship. Still what about Picard. Does he just walk off into the Sunset? We need something.