PDA

View Full Version : In praise of the Action Fleet Republic Cruiser.

mogomra
02-11-2003, 01:42 PM
I recently got an Action Fleet Republic Cruiser, and I have to say I really love it.

I know, I know, I'm about four years late on this one, and I could have gotten it from Amazon for $3.50 or so during the Episode 1 mass clearance (I actually only paid $1.50 more on eBay), but I have to say it's really nice.

And sure, maybe the landing gear isn't 100% movie accurate, and the idea that Qui-Gon takes up the entire bridge is goofy, but I like the engine "action feature". And the detail is excellent, from the slight weathering down to the escape pods sticking out of the bottom of the hull.

Aside from being a cool design (in my opinion), I guess I also like it because it's significant: continuity-wise, it's the first ship that appears in the Star Wars saga.

Glitch, any fun stories (or horror stories) you can tell us regarding the design of this one?

Now I have to scrounge up the diecast version, the Micro Machine, and maybe the AMT kit...

AndyW
02-11-2003, 04:16 PM
One of my favourites from the entire saga, solid trusty looking ship. That, the Delta 7 Athersprite (jedi starfighter to normal people) and the Accalmator class troop transports are my fav ships so far. Oh and all the Nubian style Royal Vessels, queens ship, N1 starfighter etc.

I could talk ships for quite awhile, so for the moment I'll shut up :D

jeddah
02-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Yay! Me too - I love the Radiant #! Andy we have similar tastes in ships :)

Long live Renaissance Naboo ;)

jeddah

good shot jansen
02-15-2003, 02:06 PM
the radient is indeed a great action fleet toy. i love the detail and scale of it.

way nicer than the tantive IV

my only complaint is that the orange engine glow feature on mine does stay in the "on" position. the little lever slidy thing slips in whatever yaw or pitch i got the vessel in when wingin' it through the jansen household space lanes.

matthewilw
02-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Although never having owned one, I agree that the republic cruiser is a very nice action fleet. I've been searching for one that a cheap price but they all end up at around $15.00 because people try to make up the difference by charging more for shipping. Hopefully I can find one at a reasonable price, or maybe someone will trade me one for some mini TIEs or something.....oh well, one can only hope.:crazed:

cabour
02-25-2003, 10:36 AM
When I first bought this action fleet, I immediatly decided to get a second to accurize it. You can see the result there :

http://ere2.free.fr/dossiers/repcruiser.htm

Sorry, the text is in french. Maybe I will translate it one day ... when I will have more time (prefer spend it on other projects ;) )

The images are at the end of the page. You can click them to get larger ones.

The accurizing of this AF focuses on :
- Open the cavities between the engines, so they appear as slabs rather than closed boxes
- Close the landing gear holes
- Add the missing cases of the rear landing gears
- Suppress the existing trenches on both sides, and rebuild it from scratch
- completly rebuild the antenna modules, with all the paraboles.
- repaint the whole thing (with an airbrush, mainly yellow plaster and red brick colors, other colors on some panels) and weathered it (washes and drybrushing)
The images are a little dark, so the weathering don't appear clearly on them.

mogomra
02-25-2003, 11:14 AM
I translated the page, but the pictures speak for themselves. It looks incredible! You did a very good job. The most noticeable improvement on it are the antennas.

I've been looking for a die-cast Republic Cruiser lately. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

good shot jansen
02-25-2003, 03:23 PM
very nicely done! good job cabour!

cest magnifique!

sicqnus
02-25-2003, 04:59 PM
I agree, this is a very cute custom !!! Very nice work.
I remember two years ago, my nearest "La grande Récré" toyshop had plenty of them for sale for 5 €uros (same thing in US$). I found two different euro boxes (the two only mint boxes on the shelves). I should have bought more.

Mogomra, I saw a few DC Republic Cruisers on Ebay this past few months. I think you will find one with no problem. Anyway, try http://www.finalfrontiertoys.com/index.shtml
Frank is a great guy and he will be able to find you the rare items.
They actually have the very rare Galoob Employee only magnet base with metal millenium falcons (pictured in Lee's #118 - page 11 of the Micro-Machines guide). Price is $75 (a little pricey to me but if you are a hardcore collector...).
;)

SWAFMAN
02-25-2003, 09:24 PM
cabour - merde sainte! c'est beau! merci tellement de partager les images. bienvenue à notre groupe.

...remerciez le ciel des "Babel Fish"

Banthaholic
02-25-2003, 10:22 PM
This vehicle was one of the reasons that drew me back into collection action fleet. I think it rocks!!
I love when obscure vehicles are made, It's a great way for a Star Wars junky like myself to learn more about the universe, and movies through toys!

JediTricks
02-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Cabour, something came to mind when I saw the rebuilt AF Rep Cruiser, but what was it...? Oh yeah,
WOW!!!
That is some incredible work there! The bottom and the engine supports are what really blow me away, I rarely feel like the Action Fleet line is limited until I see something like this.

Originally posted by sicqnus
They actually have the very rare Galoob Employee only magnet base with metal millenium falcons (pictured in Lee's #118 - page 11 of the Micro-Machines guide). Price is $75 (a little pricey to me but if you are a hardcore collector...).
;) I'm not sure it's a Galoob Employee-only item, it may have also been a Toy Fair giveaway. See this thread for *slightly* more info on the issue: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14511

cabour
02-27-2003, 03:39 AM
Thank you very much for the praise everybody.
I am pleased that you liked it.

There is something I would add to the previous and quick description :
This toy was a pain to open ! Really. It took me 2 hours for that. The screws are here only as a last safety device : the two halves of the toy did not open at all after getting off these screws ! The x-acto was finally the way to follow, and I was lucky to not cut some fingers in this chirurgical operation.

Morality : these toys are completely safe for children (if you let them play with as I do of course :crazed: .... well, under control of course ;) )

mogomra
03-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Check out this custom Jedi Assault Cruiser that someone kitbashed from the Republic Cruiser. Suh-weet:

http://www.rebelscum.com/nwalker.asp