PDA

View Full Version : Price Fixing

sith_killer_99
11-11-2001, 09:51 AM
Well, in case you haven't heard the news.....Hasbro is under investigation in the UK for price fixing!

A bit unusual for a company that is "devoted to the fans.":rolleyes:

If this turns out to be true I will have to SERIOUSLY reconsider continuing my Star Wars collecting!!!:mad:

Which would leave more money for me to work on my vintage collection.:D

Why Hasbro, why?:(

Oh yeah, because you are a bunch of greedy, rotten, no good...:frus:

Good luck with the investigation.:evil:

On the up-side, maybe a buch of big wigs over at Hasbro will lose their jobs! Long live the New Republic!!!;)

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

master jedi
11-11-2001, 08:08 PM
I knew they was doin' something. Why do you think they make all of those resculpts? For fun?

bigbarada
11-11-2001, 08:18 PM
Wow, could this lead to Lucasfilm pulling the liscense from them? I kind of hope so, ever since Ep1 I've disagreed with the way they've handled the Star Wars line.

Dferguson
11-11-2001, 11:19 PM
didnt notice they were under investigation for what price fixing?
and I agree for ep1 they were waaaaaay too many resculpts

JediCole
11-12-2001, 12:11 AM
I don't condone price fixing, but price fixing by Hasbro is not necessarily tantamount to price fixing on Star Wars. I doubt that it would effect that license one way or the other. Though we don't care much about it, there is more to Hasbro than Star Wars. Though I would ask Sith Killer if he would stop shopping at Toys R Us based on the fact that the Federal Trade Comission slammed them pretty hard for strong arming toy companies to get better prices and prefered shipping (neither of which it appears made it to the store level) over other retailers. However, I suspect that SK is in the UK, and I don't know if they have TRU's there.

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 03:27 AM
Hasbro was successfully charged and found guilty of market manipulation here in California along with co-defendant Toys R Us.

TeeEye7
11-12-2001, 07:53 AM
Book 'em, Danno.......:p

El Chuxter
11-12-2001, 11:13 AM
JediCole beat me to the TRU point--they were found to be "discouraging" toy marketers from selling to wholesale chains, right? And yet they're still going strong.

. . . Until the backlash from their lousy new store layout hits! :evil: MWAHAHAHAHA!

bigbarada
11-12-2001, 12:11 PM
You're right, EC, that new layout is confusing as hell. I always get lost while trying to go from the action figure section to the Lego section and end up finding myself in the Barbie section.:o

El Chuxter
11-12-2001, 02:00 PM
I especially like the ever-shrinking Star Wars section. :(

Seriously, have you thought of how much it must have cost TRU to remodel every single store at the same time? I think soon they'll be the latest business to blame their bad planning on the recession and aftermath of September 11.

Jargo
11-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Hmmm, hasbro are under investigation by the office of fair trading in the UK for dictating with menaces the price per figure at retail. The worst that can happen is that the UK no longer gets supplied with toys after Hasbro throws a hissy fit. Then you in the states suffer from all us UK collectors bagging stuff online and stealing it from under your noses when we send our grannies on holiday to the states to raid every toy store from coast to coast. be afraid Rollo Tomassi, be very afraid.........:evil: :mad: :happy: :Pirate: :frus: :eek: :( :cry: :greedy:

Wolfwood319
11-12-2001, 03:48 PM
Man, that new Toys R Us layout sucks. They have all these small cross-sectioned shelves, there are no aisles anymore. One TRU by me, the Star Wars section isn't even in one of the new shelves, its on some waist-high island shelf in the middle of nowhere. It took me 20 minutes to find it.

That's ok though, other than the TIE Interceptor, TRU is the last place I look for SW anymore, there waves behind, and all the employees buy them up before they even hit the shelves.

sith_killer_99
11-13-2001, 12:49 AM
JediCole, I do live in the states.

My point is, Hasbro feeds us this line of dookie about how switching the CommTech chips for Force File will reduce pricing. Then, we get all mad at retailers for NOT dropping the price of new SW figs!

The ONLY store I found that came CLOSE to the $5.99 MSRP was Wal-Mart! Which is where I usually buy my new figures.

As for TRU?!?! Well, NEW product is usually a bit higher than say Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Target. However, if you look at the pricing for CLEARANCE figures, they just can't be beat! Even KB's clearance is like $4.00 vs TRU $2.00!?!?

So I usually buy my older stuff on clearance at TRU. I found my Swimming Jar-Jar, TC-14, R2-B1, Battle Damaged Destroyer Droid, and of course the "Soft Goods" wave all for $1.97 EACH!!!

My point is, as long as the consumer isn't hurt, I have no problems with it! But when Hasbro strong arms companies to raise their prices.....I have a problem!

Will I stop collecting...NO WAY! I am addicted to SW! But sometimes I just need to vent. ;)