PDA

View Full Version : Sandcrawler

Greyfolk
02-12-2003, 12:28 PM
When is the New 3 3/4" Sandcrawler with Jawa and Droid coming out?

Rogue II
02-12-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't think there is a set date. There was a rumor that it was cancelled, but now it is appearing on lists again. If you do a search for "Sandcrawler" in the Forums, you will probably find the thread.

Beast
02-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Well, technically it was never announched. But most exclusives show up sometime in the Fall. Somtimes we'll get a early release. But the Sandcrawler could have been cancelled or delayed, we have no clue yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
I am tracking this toy with great interest. The last tentative date I found on this was at THEPRIVATEUNIVERSE (ironically the same site that originally started the cancellation rumours . . .:sur: ) that it is now slated to come out in May of this year. (This was on their new "reliable" list of last week.

As exclusives are always so on time ---- like the shuttle ---- I'm hoping for a June or July release date. I am DYING for the toy.

Keey checking the forums here at Sir Steve --- If I find out any more info you can pretty much count on me to post it. :D

Greyfolk
02-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Do we know the scale or size? Will it be larger than the vintage Sandcrawler? The vintage was supposed to be 3 3/4" scale, but it is much smaller.

Beast
02-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Greyfolk
Do we know the scale or size? Will it be larger than the vintage Sandcrawler? The vintage was supposed to be 3 3/4" scale, but it is much smaller.
It's going to be the same size as the vintage Sandcrawler. It's just a retooled and repainted vintage mold. Which is ok, because the vintage mold was pretty detailed. Here's a comparison picture.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=181627

Remember, these are toys. If they Sandcrawler was actual size, it would be about the size of a Volkswagon and be pretty damn expensive. You can read about it in this thread. It has some good discussion. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14877

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
02-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Jar Jar if the sandcrawler was never announced or anything how would you know what it would look like?

Beast
02-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Because, sometimes prototypes pop up before a figure or vehicle actually gets announced. That's why Hasbro doesn't like sites showing prototypes, because things can happen betten the planning of a vehicle/figure and the announce/release of them. That's just how things work. :)

In this case, someone managed to get a hold of a painted prototype for the Exclusive Sandcrawler and get a picture or two of it. That doesn't mean it's ever going to be released, but it's pretty likely. Though since it's not officially announced, it can always be cancelled, delayed, or indefinatly put on hold. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Greyfolk
02-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Is there a guesstimation on price for this?

OzOtter
02-12-2003, 08:00 PM
If I paid close on $130 for the shuttle, it doesn't matter how much this toy would cost. I'm still going to buy it. It is the vehicle I've been voting on in polls since before we had B-wings and TIE bombers!

mark2d2
02-12-2003, 10:00 PM
It's not quite as complex as the shuttle --- so lets use the Gunship for comparison. I imagine they'll be similarly priced . . . Maybe $40 to $50.

But yeah, I'll pay whatever they ask because I have ALWAYS wanted this toy.

Jaff
02-13-2003, 01:41 AM
sure there jar jar. If the mold is the same as the vintage the electronics will need to be removed, and since I own one of the vintage sandcrawlers it is no prize in quality or detail. I'm sure it will be a resculpt. I hope the "guessed" prototype is a scam for suckers to salivate over.

Beast
02-13-2003, 01:53 AM
The electronics will be removed, just like all of the exclusive ships. And almost all of the rereleased ships even. The only reason the vintage seems lacking in quality and deatail, is because it was molded out of pure orange plastic and never painted. Just look at the picture comparison. The vehicle looks a hundred times better with a proper repaint.

Other then the FX X-Wing/Saga X-Wing and Landspeeder, no vintage ship has been completely re-sculpted. That picture from Galactic Hunter is totally on the up and up from their sources. And they have had prototype pictures in the past that have turned out to be true. Sorry, a total to scale resculpt just isn't going to happen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
02-13-2003, 01:57 AM
A total to scale is something only a dupe would expect, but I wouldn't trust your source just yet.

Beast
02-13-2003, 02:05 AM
I trust their source, and their collecting website. As they have been right on about 99% of the stuff coming out this year since the beginning. It's already going to run probably about $50.00, possibly more. Any larger and your hurting shelf space and the price will cause them to sit at retail. So while a resculpt would be nice, it's not feasible for a number of reasons. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
So while a resculpt would be nice, it's not feasible for a number of reasons. :)

Such as:

1. Can't make it too big or the price point goes up too far.

2. ?

3. ?

4. ?

(feel free to start filling in the blanks)

5. ?

6. ?

7. ?

8. ?

9. ?

SNAYSON
02-13-2003, 10:34 AM
sand crawler, i want it!

Beast
02-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Stillakid:

1. Stores are unwilling to support very large ships. Thank the Queen's Royal Starship for that.

2. Shelf space is at a premium in stores, the larger the item the fewer the store can carry.

3. The price being over a certain point, makes collectors hesitant to buy. That makes the ship sit.

4. Wal-Mart isn't well known for for carrying toys over a certain price point, to high and they may have passed on it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Stillakid:

1. Stores are unwilling to support very large ships. Thank the Queen's Royal Starship for that.

2. Shelf space is at a premium in stores, the larger the item the fewer the store can carry.

3. The price being over a certain point, makes collectors hesitant to buy. That makes the ship sit.

4. Wal-Mart isn't well known for for carrying toys over a certain price point, to high and they may have passed on it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thank you for those reasons as to why the vehicle shouldn't get any bigger. I was interested in the reasons why "a resculpt would be nice, it's not feasible for a number of reasons." Resculpt doesn't have to mean that it gets larger. Resculpt can include a new body overall as well as additional detailing and paint. Aside from Hasbro being lazy and not wanting to put that kind of work into it as well as the obvious excuse of higher cost if they did, a non-size issue resculpt doesn't seem to be out of the question. Please elaborate on that if you could. Thanks.

Beast
02-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Well, if you read back the discussion on a resculpt was in regards to the size issue. Which making it any bigger, just isn't going to likely happen. Resculpting it to the exact same size would be useless. Just look at the comparison picture of the vintage and the new saga version. The addition of a proper paint job brings out the detail already in the piece. It's just not as visible, when the ship is cast in pure orange plastic with no paint.

I'm sure Hasbro will probably retool portions of it though. Since they have to, when pulling a mold from a vintage vehicle. The inside could feature newly sculpted pieces maybe, along with a retooled interior to give it more detail. But there is nothing wrong with the outside, once the paint is applied to bring out the original details. Which, for a early vintage toy is very very nicely done. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
02-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Akchewly, I think i could deal with a re-issue of the current sandcrawler if they just do a couple of tweaks on it. For one, the vintage ships had panel lines that stand proud rather than recess into the bodywork. This sandcrawlewr also has a huge gap underneath between the caterpillar treads. If they fill that gap i'll be most happy. It just looks really daft and really detracts from the expected effect giving me a sense that something is missing.
The movie set had the steps that the jawas climb into the belly of the craft there so just something to represent that would be keen. And fixing the droid hoover so it isn't so cumbersome would also be keen.
However, as hasbro are unlikely to even consider altering any of that I'm unlikely to buy this thing.

I did want it but now i really don't. not the vintage one anyway. I'd buy a resculpted new version that was similar but slightly larger in scale. One with a real boner of an interior. stuff that made it look like a working salvage smelting foundry. And a decent control cockpit and droid hold, retractable steps to the interior and a slimmer droid hoover. But none of that will happen. I'm now quitting this thread until some real proof that this thing is coming can be shown.

stillakid
02-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Well, if you read back the discussion on a resculpt was in regards to the size issue.

Perhaps, but that's not what you said. You said that a "resculpt" was not feasible, not that a "resize" was not feasible.

Specifically in regards to what the improvements could be...I like my vintage crawler but have always wished that it had real rubber treads. Aside from that, the paint job has always left something to be desired, so hopefully if they do put out a new one, we'll see something more detailed than just "battle damage" black streaks. The suction tube could be improved as well. Instead of "elevator action," maybe some kind of string/claw thing or something. Or maybe an attachment so you could hook it up to the vaccuum cleaner. :cool:

Beast
02-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Yes, but the resculpt comments were in relation to the discussion of resculpting it to a larger scale. Which isn't likely to happen. While we could go round in round, if you read back thru the thread the resculpt talk was in regard to the size issue. :)

Just because it's not resculpted, doesn't mean that the sculpt can't be improved with things like you said. What do you mean? Did you check out the pictures of the new Saga prototype? The thing is painted with more then just "battle damage" black streaks. It's very nicely painted, in my opinion. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

fishyfett
02-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks, for pointing me to the right direction. I can't wait for this rumor to be confirmed. After shelling out the moolah for the Shuttle, what else can be more expensive for an exclusive?? A full size Death Star w/ disco lights??? Who knows.

Anyway, I saw the comparative photos between the two crawlers and definitely the repaint is much better. Now, if the front panel would open down like a ramp, that would be better than a side hatch. Which I hope they still include. Next, the tracks can be improved on, with the front that would turn. And maybe, just maybe, an exclusive figure, some obscure washing machine droid, microwave droid, any droid we haven't seen yet that's in the movie.

That would be nice, Mr. Hasbro Man.

jjreason
02-23-2003, 06:47 PM
The figure pack ins will make or break this ship, in terms of collector sales. 2 exlusive droids, and this thing will go like a rocket. None, and sales would be luke-warm (methinks) barring a resizing.

I, too, would like more than conjecture and speculation about this toy. Poo or get off the pottie, Hasbro.

Beast
02-23-2003, 06:57 PM
jjreason, according to the prototype image we saw it's going to come with RA-7 (a repainted Death Star Droid), and a Jawa. Even without the pack-ins it would sell pretty well. Since it's one of the rarer vintage vehicles, commanding a decent secondary market price, since it was only available from JCPenney. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-23-2003, 08:23 PM
JarJar --- I agree with you that a resculpt is HIGHLY unlikely. (Though new working treads of some sort would be cool.) Frankly though. Other than the size --- i think it is hands down the best done mold in all the vintage line. It is just wicked in it's sculpted detail and very faithful in porportion to the actual film prop . . .

Dang it! I want this vehicle released! I always coveted it and am filled with regret at not "demanding" it as a child.

By the way, JarJar ---- you are wrong in one respect. You mentioned the various X-wing and Landspeeder were the only classic vehicles reculpted.
Aha! Not so. You have forgotten what is in my opinion the coolest resculpted ship thus far ----- DARTH VADER'S TIE FIGHTER! This updated version is completely different from it's vintage counterpart and is pretty awesome. (Especially if you got it for $9.99 like me . . .) A close second to the BOMBER for coolest TIE vehicle toy.

Come on, Hasbo!
Give this dog a bone
when will my Sandcrawler be rolling home . . .

Beast
02-23-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
By the way, JarJar ---- you are wrong in one respect. You mentioned the various X-wing and Landspeeder were the only classic vehicles reculpted.
Aha! Not so. You have forgotten what is in my opinion the coolest resculpted ship thus far ----- DARTH VADER'S TIE FIGHTER! This updated version is completely different from it's vintage counterpart and is pretty awesome. (Especially if you got it for $9.99 like me . . .) A close second to the BOMBER for coolest TIE vehicle toy.
Yep, you are correct. It slipped my mind, because it was actually released in the early POTF2 days. The wings are even almost totally new, because they have the solar sections molded into them instead of being stickers. I forgot about how great the Darth Vader's TIE Fighter is. I know a few people complain about the missles but it's still a damn fine looking toy. Hopefully the upcoming KB exclusive TIE Fighter will be as good. They just need to dump the handle/battery compartment and scale up the wings correctly. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
02-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Why, as a pup I myself picked up Vader's TIE (POTF2) for $9.99. It sits proudly beside my POTJ TIE Bomber.

Hey, I'd gladly buy a Sandcrawler even if there were no pack-in figures. I already have plenty of Jawas. :)

mark2d2
03-13-2003, 11:18 PM
I bumped this one up because I know AMY wanted to see some picks. :D

Go to page one and you'll find a link the pics!!! ;)

So far --- the there has only been the one photo of the re-release.

Amy
03-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Oh my God!:eek: :eek: :eek: That is the coolest paint job ever!!!!! I am more then excited about this toy, and hope I will have it soon! Thanks alot mark2d2!!!!:kiss:

DarthWitko
03-14-2003, 02:01 PM
I will buy this but I don't understand why the Targets and the Walmarts of the world don't use the internet to sell thier exclusives. If they are so concerned with shelf space this would solve those issues. Plus it would allow the collectors who really want these ships to be able to find them without driving all over or using a scalper or other third party vendor. Toys 'r Us is at least smart enough to use Amazon for selling thier toys and have all the exclusives online that is why I hope they pick this up.

mark2d2
03-14-2003, 05:11 PM
DarthWitko:

In the past to get Exclusives I've used Yestertoys. They were a little slow --- not bad, just not Super Fast --- but the price was only a few dollars above retail, so with shipping I paid about $6 over for the TIE BOMBER. But it was a heck of a lot cheaper than driving to the ends of the world to Walmart for either the Cantina Packs (Actually, they were REALLY fast on this order.) or my favorite ship.

I just want to see the Sandcrawler made!!!!

fishyfett
03-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Amen, bro. I sure can't stand running from one store to another just to nail me an exclusive. It's nice to have other choices when it comes to hard to find, hot as new items. Maybe this time, we will have that choice. We'll keep our lightsabers crossed!!!

DarthWitko
03-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the hint mark2d2. I will probably use Yestertoys to make sure I get this. I really don't want to hunt for it. I don't mind paying a couple of dollars more. With the price of gas $6 is no big deal.

mark2d2
03-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Found this cool shot of the Vintage Sandcrawler that I'd never seen before over at Cloud City Collectibles. They are selling off 9,000 original Kenner negatives and such. And it's quite the thing to browse . . .

mark2d2
03-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Here's another classic shot. I know many of you will get all up in arms about scale --- but these vintage Kenner images REALLY get me excited for this toy.