PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglasses

Jargo
02-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Well, recently i noticed that i was having trouble seeing stuff clearly. Like having to hold the tv mag up to my face so i could read the print. I always had really good vision, 20:20 apparently with a slight tendency towards short sightedness which i had reading glasses for. But the reading glasses weren't making a difference so off to the opticians i go and get an eye test and discover that i have a stigmatism in my left eye and I'll have to wear glasses on a permanent basis.

Nothing wrong with that is there.

Well, i thought i was okay with it, after all since getting the glasses it's cured my migraine headaches totally. I can now see stuff clearer than i ever could. Crystal clarity is such a blast. But, and there's bound to be a but in a thread like this, I find myself feeling incredibly self conscious of how people percieve me now. I feel like people are staring at me and thinking I'm somehow impaired and faulty goods. That I'm ugly.
All totally irrational notions i know but i feel them all the same. I'm finding this permanent glasses wearer thing a little hard to swallow. My eye glasses are really small because i wanted something that wouldn't stand out, something that was more the size of my eyes and blended in. I would have gone for contact lenses but they're far too expensive and i have a morbid fear of anything going near my eyes. I'm having difficulty with the arms of the glasses because they show in my peripheral vision. It's driving me nuts. These things changed the face that i present to others and i'm not sure I can deal with that.

I was wondering after all that pre-amble whether anyone else had similar problems adjusting if they had to start wearing glasses later in their life. Do people who wear them all the time get the 'ugly' paranoia too? Am i just being insanely paranoid and self obsessive and vain?

Darth Sidious
02-12-2003, 08:37 PM
You aren't being vain at all, I am in high school and I know exactly how you feel. I got my glasses when I was about 9, and I have hated how I look ever since. I figured since I hated myself, other people would too. So just recently I have decided to only wear them when I need to see something. I see well enough to get around and stuff. I couldn't stand thinking I was so ugly and everything, I already have major self-confidence problems. I stay away from pretty much everyone because I am so worried about what they will think about me. And everyone knows how utterly shallow people are in their teens... And a rather sickening revelation has come to me recently-More people have started talking to me (More girls, too, which hardly ever happened) since I stopped wearing them full time. That's good, right? No. Not at all. I have discovered how disgustingly shallow these people are, and how girls (Not all of them, don't be offended, but all of them at my school) really do not give a **** about personality at all. That is why I have still never had a girlfriend, and I doubt if I ever will. I consider myself a fairly pleasant person to be around when people are willing to be...decent. Do they give a damn about that? Heh, I wish. I get sick every time I think about the shallowness. I am truly starting to hate people and the way they are. My teachers also noticed that I have become more introverted. The only person I can trust 100% is myself, and I am starting to wonder if that is even true. Thank God for these Forums, they are really the only place where people are really willing to listen to what others have to say. (And the only place where people are willing to listen to rants like this and not get angry at the person doing the ranting). You know, sometimes I wish everyone in this world was blind, that way people would have no basis for judgement except for personality...Well, you've heard my rant. Sorry about all of that, I had to get it off of my chest somehow, it was really starting to build up. The simple answer is, Jargo, you aren't alone.

James Boba Fettfield
02-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Crystal clarity is such a blast.

I remember the first time I had that feeling. I was looking at trees from a distance and I was amazed at the detail I could see from far away.

I wish I could give you some insight about getting used to glasses later in life, but I've been wearing mine since I was 10, but I had them 2 years prior and refused to ever wear them for fear of what others may think.

Do people who wear them all the time get the 'ugly' paranoia too? Am i just being insanely paranoid and self obsessive and vain?

I don't get that paranoia anymore, and I don't know any person that wears glasses all the time that does. It's probably a normal feeling to think those things when you first start wearing glasses, no matter the age.

Can I ask a question, though. This paranoia you have about people thinking you might look ugly with glasses. Do you feel that everyone who sees you might think that, or is it just the people you know that you fear might think that? I never thought what people who didn't see me would think I was ugly, but I feared the people I actually saw everyday might think it. As an adult now, I don't know why any other adult would even think a person who starts wearing glasses is ugly. To me, it was just something you had to get used to. It was like the time I grew long hair, and then cut it all off. It's just something that people might take notice too at first, but once the new/shock look is there everyday, I don't think any person would even give a damn about your glasses and how they might make you look.

2-1B
02-13-2003, 03:54 AM
Jeez . . . now I feel ugly . . . and depressed . . . :cry: :cry: :cry: Completely depressing. :cry:

Honestly, I never thought about those things when I got glasses, and I've had them since I was a rather young lad.

The only thing that bugged me was the peripheral vision, it did take some getting used to. It irked the hell out of me that everything was crystal clear looking forward, but shift my gaze to the side and it was a blur.

It happened again a few years ago when I got even smaller glasses, so I had to readjust again. Now I'm quite fine with it, I think I made up for a lack of peripheral by being more alert in turning my head slightly.

Jargo - if anything I'd bet those spectacles make you look smarter. :) No worries about the appearance, old bean! :D

Darth Sidious - hang in there. :) As you move on from high school, you'll meet people who are even worse than what you describe now. Yet, you'll find yourself in a larger world, so your experiences will be of greater varieties. Keep being pleasant (as you described yourself) and you'll find the rest of the pleasant ones. :)
As far as the shallow girls, it really sucks. Keep in mind that there's lots of pressure on them too; I bet some of those girls feel the same pressures and react by changing and adapting to meet the same social standards they fear. The girls might feel the same expectations coming from some boys.
I hope what I just typed makes sense . . .

scruffziller
02-13-2003, 01:12 PM
My eyeglasses actually make me look more distinguished and I have noticed that it gives an aura of purpose now and the ladies seem to be flocking more so now.

Darth Sidious
02-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Yes, some people do look good with glasses. But some, like me, don't. It might also have something to do with my being one of the most intelligent people in the school and everything (Not trying to brag, I'm just saying people have noticed that), and it makes me seem kind of..."Nerdy". By the way, thanks for the support Caesar. :)

EricRG
02-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Eyeglasses are cool.:cool:

Who cares what other people think.

The Overlord Returns
02-13-2003, 01:59 PM
*runs in and laughs at all the four eyes in here, and then runs out, so as not to recieve a hiney kicking* ;)

Just kidding guys......still, Jargo......if you are feeling that insecure about it, why not try contacts??

plasticfetish
02-13-2003, 07:41 PM
I feel like people are staring at me and thinking I'm somehow impaired and faulty goods. That I'm ugly.
Maybe they're staring at you because you look very nice in your new eyeglasses.
Huh? Didn't think about that one did you?
Maybe they're all jealous and wish they could look as good as you.

Maybe it doesn't matter what people are thinking.

What does matter is finding glasses that you feel comfortable with and that make you see better. That's a pretty tough thing to do really. I found out in college (around a decade ago) that I had a slight astigmatism (I think "stigmatism" means you bleed from your eyes ... if that's your problem then I understand why the people are staring at you.) My problem is minor and frankly I could and have lived without glasses ... but recently I found some that I really like, are very comfortable and have become a part of my face. New and improved face for 2003.

You can even have more than one pair or have them slightly tinted ... c'mon it's cool!

Jargo
02-13-2003, 10:02 PM
You work for an optician dontcha. ;) Oh I know some people might look and think I look okay in these new windows. maybe I picked exactly the right pair already and that's it. Maybe I picked exactly the pair that reminds people of their dead Grandad. I should also say the the bottom rim of the glasses frame gets in the way of my line of sight and I keep tripping over things, especially the dog. Before, I bumped into things but now I just fall over. :D

Yeah, after I typed that first post I realised I'd got that astigmatism thing wrong. Too lazy to change it. Stigmata is the bleeding thing and a stigma is a perception permanently associated with someone or something or some way of behaviour or 'being'. So hmmmmmm, I have astigmatism which means I wear glasses which carry a stigma.
Well my paranoia was componded today when my mother said I looked 'nice' in my glasses. Instant credibility deflator. I was starting to feel a bit better after reading the responses in here but then she went and burst my happy bubble. If she says she likes something then it's dul and ugly and frumpy and dumpy and bad and sad and antwacky and useless and horrible. Everything she likes is vile. So that just made my day really. Turned 35, having something of a thirty something crisis time and mother says i look nice in glasses and suddenly I feel about a hundred tmes worse. :rolleyes: :p

Why can't mothers just keep their gobs shut?

more than one pair of specs - I'm going to have to get a pair of prescription sunglasses because otherwise if I put my ordinary pair on I won't be able to see. I take the specs off and everything is much more blurred than before. No sense in straining my eyes with non corrective sunglasses now. Or I could get a pair of those clip on flip up sunshades like old men have. :crazed:

I guess I'll get used to them but I suppose the point is that I don't want to have to. I guess i'm just resisting fate. :)

mabudonicus
02-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Right, I guess I got here just in time...
First, Sidious, Caesar's right... your post depressed me in a way, as I had some very similar experiences... I was laso about 60 pounds over weight, but the intelligence and the not fitting in... man, high school was hell for me... one of the big problems in your (and fromerly my) situation is that there is very little anyone can do to help you... from what happened to me, I can tell you, since the goal in most of the faculty's minds would be making you fit the system, and from what you've said that ain't gonna happen
All is not lost, though, you just have to stop using their measuring stick, since it isn't calibrated to you at all.... and glasses??? Don't sweat it, anyone who can't get past the glasses (as you've described, when they're gone, no problems) doesn't deserve to.... you just gotta remember that... you're a smart guy, and sad fact is, there ain't as many of us as there could be... be glad that you have already seen the trick, man, it may not be easy, but once you open the door to perceiving it, you can never close it, and trying to "unlearn" what you have learned will only hurt you.... I honestly believe that the early school is set up to break guys like us, so that we will do and want all of the things we're supposed to.... and as for girls, don't worry about it at all, the way society is set up, there's no point even trying, it may sound like a cliche, but trust me, it will happen, the only success you're likely to have in that field right now would be forced, shallow and disapppointing... most of the "shallow" types you describe either A- don't have a clue who they are or B- are someone they feel they should be
It may not feel like it right now, but you're WAY ahead of the curve, man...
NOW.... glasses... I wear them when I'm too lazy to put my contacts in (or when I've handled hot peppers and can't touch them temporarily:)) and NO-ONE cares..... the only problems I have with them is when they fog up in winter (or when I can't find them.. the ultimate catch-22, I'm too blind without em to find em) Jargo, I'm sure you look great with your specs... just an observation, but in many of the pics you've put up here, you look as if you're squinting a tad... allowing your eyes to relax with the glasses will probably give you a new range of expressions, chosen by your body rather than the necessity of having to make certain faces just to see... I know I look totally different whether I'm wearing contacts, glasses or "au naturel" , different look, different range of expressions... Honestly, too, like I said already, anyone who cares too much should be discarded (I cross people off of my list almost every time I go out in public, people are generally ignorant in this part of the world)
Oh, and lastly (I'd put more, but I'll leave it for part 2), it doesn't take too long to get used to the "flashing" of the arms and stuff... I thought I was going to be sick for a few weeks due to that phenomenon, but it does dissipate completely... it was weird getting contacts, cause when I was first wearing them, the "phantom" of my glasses would flash occasionally, or I would go to take them off and they weren't there....
Either way, people who are too "cool" to wear glasses are cool in the same way as people who are too cool to wear mittens or hats in winter... they're $$$$$$$$$ morons, and don't let em try to tell ya otherwise

Darth Sidious
02-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I suppose you are right mabudon. I'm just wondering if I am going to be the only person who hasn't ever even dated in high school, or college, or ever. Although I am a Sith (:D), I don't want to spend my whole life alone; I don't think there is anyone who does. But I am bracing myself in case that does happen. I also have the biggest fear of talking to girls that you will ever, ever see. Not because of what they'd think of me, but because they'd say, "Oh my god, Darth Sidious asked me if I'd be his girlfriend, what a loser!" to EVERY PERSON IN THE SCHOOL. :D Any respect I might have had would be gone. So, unless they ask me, there is really no chance of it happening. Oh well, no big deal really. Thanks for the advice, it has helped quite a bit. :) If you'll excuse me, I need to take my Monkey Face Leia out for dinner. What a sexy beast... :D

InsaneJediGirl
02-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Jargo,I'm soon you'll forget all about your glasses within a couple of weeks,while you and the
rest of the world adjusts to your spiffy specs:D

Anyways,I used to have the same problem.I got glasses in 2nd Grade,a really cool purple pair,but
got made fun of constantly so I stopped wearing them.So,needless to say in 4th Grade I had ultra bad headaches and had to wear glasses again.Kids are the worst though,snotty nosed brats...

Oh well,anyways no one even takes a second glance at me anymore,glasses kinda compliment my face better.What kind/color of glasses does everyone here wear?I have a metalish-dull silver pair with tortoiseshell(sp?) ear thingies(blends in with my hair).

cause when I was first wearing them, the "phantom" of my glasses would flash occasionally, or I would go to take them off and they weren't
there....

Happens to me all the time.Werid how the brain/eyes train themselves to think glasses are there all the time.

Jargo
02-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Well mine are rectangular lenses and quite small really. I went with a sort of antique tarnished bronze frame color because the only other option was bright gold or metallic blue in this particular style. The ear pieces are dark bronze. They are sort of flesh toned but just not to me. :) Something i have noticed is how greasy my nose is. I have to keep shoving the darn things back up my nose and then inadvertently smudging the lenses so i end up not being able to see through them. And being a smoker I get a film of nicotine all over the lenses at the end of the day. horrible really. If my glasses are covered in that then god knows what i must be getting all over me. Stinky smelly brown stuff all over my skin. One more reason to try again quitting the sticks.

I'm going to try and get a piccie done of me and these things and I'll do a with and without comparison. Just have to speak nicely to the sister and cadge her digital camera off her again. Just have to hope for a nice day outdoors to take the piccies because her camera is really bad first generation digi. It'll make me look ten times worse of course :rolleyes: whinge whinge whinge...... :D

Lord Malakite
02-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Darth Sidious
I'm just wondering if I am going to be the only person who hasn't ever even dated in high school, or college, or ever. Although I am a Sith (:D), I don't want to spend my whole life alone; I don't think there is anyone who does.

Too late Sidious, I already beat you at doing that. :D As for spending my whole life alone, I wouldn't mind at all. :) Such things don't concern me in the least.

Now for the glasses ordeal, who cares what others think. Wear them if you want to see. I am supposed to wear glasses, but I don't. Its not because I care of what others think, its because I just don't like how they feel on my face. As for not getting contacts, its the same deal as you Jargo. I don't like the whole idea of poking and prodding my eyes to put them in and take them out.

Porcelina
02-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Darth Sidious
I also have the biggest fear of talking to girls that you will ever, ever see. Not because of what they'd think of me, but because they'd say, "Oh my god, Darth Sidious asked me if I'd be his girlfriend, what a loser!" to EVERY PERSON IN THE SCHOOL. :D

first off, the cliche: risk nothing, gain nothing...

secondly..... most girls (read all) are happy to be asked out by any guy, as most girls (read all) are pretty insecure and are amazingly flattered by guys asking them out, even if they aren't attracted to them

also, i know in high school there are girls who will gossip and say mean things... and the trick is... don't ask them out! strike up conversations with girls who seem genuinely nice (not popular, snotty nosed girls!)... you'll probably be surprised as the results.... even if they aren't attracted to you (which is something that every person has to get used to... not everyone will be physically attracted to you), if they're nice, normal people, you'll either get a friend out of it, or get a little boost of self-esteem just by the mere fact of having taken that risk and not been humiliated... it'll make you wanna do it more :)

oh, and... contacts rock, i highly suggest them if you're super insecure about glasses

mabudonicus
02-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Yes, Porcelina said what I meant, minus the soap box and the special effects... thanks!!
Ans on the subject of contacts, it isn't as bad as you might think... I could not touch my eyes or even put my fingers close to em, and I got into them alright, after a couple of dicey days, it becomes like natural, I can put mine in and take them out without a mirror or anything now....
I had to start wearing them cause my eyes got so bad so fast when I was younger that I couldn't wear glass lenses ( I couldn't wear the old plastic lenses, I would destroy them outright in a few weeks) that were strong enough, they would just give me headaches and fall off my head til they broke.
It was real uncomfortable for a total of about 4 hours or so, all told.
Oh, and to Sidious, on last note.. I only "dated" 1 girl in high school, and in retrospect, I would rather have kept a spotless record... and I thought the exact same thing as you... I can't think of a "PC" way to say it, (specially since there's ladies reading:))... well, anyways, lets just say that I wouldn't have to go too long without dating these days..... I can't prove it, since I'm hopelessly stuck on my partner, but once you get to the point where quality actually matters, you're in the clear..

Oh, and sidious, the "friends" thing is important, too, the more friends you have, the more friends you have.. start friendships with no agenda and you'll be stylin... (and not for any other reason than cos friends are good no matter what, well, that AND it's easier to talk to Ladies in general if you're just talking, you don't have to keep score or anything, and not everything has to be perfect)

Oh, and Jargo- Looking forward to the pic.... don't make a scrunched up face or anything to colour our responses, I'll bet that you are the only person who has a real problem with them... this is the perfect place to get real feedback, cos we "see" you all the time, but we aren't used to one particular look, so whatever you get will be pretty much objective

Darth Jax
02-22-2003, 10:39 PM
if you hate glasses that much there are other options. contact lenses can be worn by just about anyone, you just have to want it. astigmatism can also be treated reliably with laser surgery. but even more importantly, from reading most of your posts EJ, i wouldn't think you'd care too much what the opinions of those you pass on the street are. now to really make this a downer, if you're 35 you've only got about 5-10 years before you'll start needing reading glasses full time.

mabudonicus
02-24-2003, 10:48 AM
I guess this is the place to ask..... Is that pic of the new glasses, Jargo??? Now I see why you were worried, they make your nose look so strange:D !!!!!
if there's a way, could you post a less p-shopped version of that pic in here??? I get the idea (sorta) from the av, but the nose is distracting.....
I swear that your av is the least "pensive" pic you've ever posted here (well, again, the rabbit suit wasn' too pensive, I guess), so I guess you've adjusted alright to them.... now let's see the ACTUAL glasses (I had to edit this post after some cross referencing, you tricky devil, but if you look decent in comedy frames, you must come off great in "real" specs)

Jargo
02-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Whull, seein' as it's darn cold a frosty and dark and the stoopid camera My sister loaned me won't take a piccie in artificial light, and i do want to look my best for my close up Mr. demille, and I've been suffering a lot with spinal aggravatoions and damn annoying nausea caused by said aggravations, I haven't really been in a suitably photogenic mood, so no piccies yet sorry.
The avatar is just a jest about my feelings regarding said 'Windows 2003 for Jargo' ;) I shall though endeavour to facilitate this thread with the necessary talking point at some imminent juncture.

With regards to Darth Jax's comments I should say that as lovely as it would be to be so eloquent and forthright all the time, my persona online is merely one of the galaxy I inhabit in my virtual head. In person I am most humble and placid. I am treated as someone who is wise and compassionate, this virtual galaxy we inhabit allows me to exude a wholegheartedly different aspect of myself that aggrandises me. I am a virtual staffordshire bull terrier of sorts, once i bite i tend not to let go. I can be quite savage as 'lil ol' Emperor Jargo. It's my chosen way, tongue firmly in cheek and sense of danger left in the drawer. Emperor jargo is a quite formidable character, he perhaps doesn't care what people think of him or what they say as such. but here on the other end of this electrickery we call the wwweb, I'm not so bold. I am all too human and as such incur all the frailties that we humans do such as insecurity about self image and external opinion and judgements. So in short, yes I am very bothered about what people say and how they percieve me. And as I mentioned somewhere i can't wear contacts because i have a morbid fear of anything including my own fingers going near my eyeballs.
Laser treatment might be common in the states but over here it's rarer and expensive. I certainly can't afford that and with a fear of things going near my face when i'm concsious I highly doubt having an intense beam of light shine into my cornea will enthrall me espaecially if they have to pin your eyelids open to perform the technique. No thanks.

Incidentaly, I was in the local chemists shop (drugstore to you guys) and on one wall was a rack of non prescription glasses. Pick a pair, try them on, rad a little card on the rack and if you can see the writing fine the glasses will do. :rolleyes: so much for optical care. To think that people are actually damaging their eyes with crap like that. If we were living in the third world i'd say fine, anything to save some sight like the glasses that get sent to Africa. but this is an affluent society we live in and this sort of thing should be outlawed. I like the guy who works as chemist in this place, He strikes me as being really knowledgable and clued up and for him to sell something that's inherently unhealthy just strikes me as such a paradox. Are people really that parsimonious that a few pennies saved is worth ruining their eyesight over? astounding really.

Darth Jax
02-24-2003, 07:11 PM
i do believe most anyone can learn to wear contact lenses. i've seen a number of people that cringe when anything comes near their eye do fine with them to avoid the use of prescription eyewear. i'd suggest you get a simple bottle of saline and begin by inserting a drop into your eye daily. women have little problems with contact lenses after years of applying mascara. for the males of the species contact with their own eye is much rarer, but is a behavior that can be learned. it is admirable that you care enough for your vision and the health of your eyes to have them examined, rather than simply find the pair of magnifying glasses that makes things large enough to read and use them.

Jargo
03-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Saline? you want me to pt salt water into my eyes? Are you nuts?

No i'm getting used to having the double glazing as a permanent installation but i still think i look bloody awful in them. Less confident all round. And that was a problem before anyway.

Maaaabuuuuudooooon, I took some pics today for you and they'll be ready on saturday probably. I used the old fashioned clunky celuloid film camera because it gives a clearer image and I'm having the pics developed at my local camera emporium to support the smaller business. I could have gone to a one hour place but I'd rather keep the local guy in business so it's going to be a couple of days before I have the pics to scan. And that's if they worked. it was a weird day today with mist and overcast cloudy/sunny skies. but overcast weather is excellent for taking pics in. Anyway, just wanted to say this and now I'm done.

Darth Jax
03-20-2003, 01:53 PM
a saline solution is a pure balanced solution used as a lubricating drop or eyewash in the states. certainly wouldn't advocate putting salt water into the eyes. sure the new specs aren't as bad as you make them sound. but if you don't like them, it doesn't really matter how many people tell you they look fine.

Jargo
03-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Okay, finally the evidence. I have to say these pics didn't come out as well as I hoped. Because of the poo light you can't really see the darn glasses. So here's the first shot which is with and without comparison. I look a little rough in these but that's because i only just got up a half hour before these were taken. Yeah, so wht if it was like four in the afternoon, wanna make somethin' of it? wanna take it outside huh? HUH? ;)

Jargo
03-21-2003, 08:07 AM
And this ones just a head shot, like I say, the pics turned out pretty bad. frickin' fracckin' stoopid camera operator person dumbass there's worse on the roll but this one is just for Mabudon.

have to say, I haven't had any pics taken of me since I was thirty two and man I aged a lot in three years. Must be talkin' to all of you guys... ;)

DarthChuckMc
03-21-2003, 09:30 PM
They look fine Jargo. They suit your face well. I think the mistake a lot of people make with glasses are, they look for the "cool" frames, but never think how that might look on them. My "ex-" did that all the time. She would never wear them after we would spend a small fortune because they made her face look (insert self depricating insult here).
Anywho, don't sweat it. What matters is that you can see better now. Anyone that would poke fun doesn't deserve your attention anyway.

InsaneJediGirl
03-21-2003, 10:12 PM
They look fine Jargo. They suit your face well.

I'd have to agree with Chuck,Jargo.Your glasses look nice:DI don't see why you made such a big deal over it eariler in the thread.(Could be a new syndrome:Eyewear Shock/Denial:crazed: )

Darth Sidious
03-21-2003, 11:25 PM
You're lucky, you're one of the few people who looks better with the glasses. (My cousin, a friend of mine, and some other people are also like this). Don't worry about it, they look fine. :)

JediTricks
03-22-2003, 01:24 AM
They add a sense of maturity, the guy on the left I wouldn't trust to hold my dirty laundry for a tick while I fished my pockets for quarters, the guy on the right I'd trust with my 401k... if he wasn't holding that cig. ;)

2-1B
03-22-2003, 01:34 AM
I cast my vote in favor of the spectacles ! :happy:

Emperor Howdy
03-22-2003, 02:07 AM
The glasses are fine, Jargo. However, isn't it interesting how something like the trivial addition of glasses to a person's face can age them 5 or 10 years? Not saying that you look old, man.....it's just you go from....well.....perhaps I should just show you. Look what happened to me when I put on a pair similar to yours........

2-1B
03-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Howdy, those lenses must have a weak prescription since you are still squinting ! :crazed:

mabudonicus
03-22-2003, 12:29 PM
They look great, bro!!! You really do have nothing to worry about... every other pic of you that I've seen of you, you look angry in, it's sort of obvious that you can relax your face better with the specs... it'll pay off big over the long run, less squinting means less "detail" on your face and less headaches... they really do look good on you, again, since I'm not day-to-day familiar with your appearance, they look totally natural.... I imagine someone with an "eye" for colour and form such as yourself should be able to "see" that, you made an excellent choice for your face... really, stop worrying about it, man, if you were to meet someone you'd never seen before, I'll GUARANTEE you that they would not think even once about them, I promise!!
Now all's you've got to do is start catching up on all the details you've missed for the past few years, visually-wise...
Ahhh, another thing, other than the cosmetic, how are they working out for you, since that's what matters the most !!

Deoxyribonucleic
04-08-2003, 02:45 PM
I had to wear friggen coke bottle bottom glasses when I was in first grade. . . now talk about paranoia and when you are small like that, oooo kids are MEAN! Woooo baby, just damn MEAN! Then a year later I went to a different eye doctor because the other one I had mysteriously disappeared. . . I found out I never needed glasses in the first place :frus:

So I went through a whole year of crap for nothing. Then 10 years ago I had to get glasses as I also have astigmatism, but in both eyes. I got the most unnoticeable, smallest wire frames possible and the lenses were like waffer theeen meeeents so my eyes aren't magnified 1000x and I still hate wearing them in public, so you are not alone in your sufferings, but it's not as bad as when I was a kid.

Now, about looking at your pic, Jargo you have nothing to worry about. Handsome as all get out! :)

Jargo
04-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Handsome? Now there's an epiphet I've not heard in a long time. A long time...... :p

Now I'm blushin' :sur:

Well since having the gligs I haven't experienced a single solitary migraine attack so I now know that those were caused by the eye problems. "Once I was blind but now I can seeeAAAAIIEEEE!" *falls down inspection chute*:D

I'm getting used to having the glasses now, second nature stuff creeping in like automatically reaching for them when i get out of bed, stuff like that. Forgetting to take them off when i pull a t-shirt off at night, routinely pushing them back up my nose when they slip down, using the peering over the top as a sign of mistrust ofr annoyance, that kind o' stuff. I'll defo have to get some prescription shades for summer though, had some strong spring sunshine lately and the gligs strengthen the sunshine which is causing me some bother. Gotta be prescription shades cuz without the gligs now I can't see diddly. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the nice comments here in this thread. it helped. :)

mabudonicus
04-11-2003, 11:44 AM
The disappearance of the migraines is indeed the most important thing, man....
It's funny how you get the body memory of wearing glasses...I got to take mine off even when I'm wearing contacts.... they don't do the "flash" thing anymore, that goes away pretty quick...
In my experience, the only problem I have (and the only time I REALLY curse my glasses) is in winter, entering warm, humid buildings... I have to stand still for a few minutes upon entering, just to let the temp adjust, otherwise it's instruments only, and you never know what you'll walk into...
DNA- (never could understand any other "abbreviations" for your username, but who am I to judge, eh?) That sucks, I'll bet he was under contract to mess up x number of kids eyes to ensure that the profession stayed profitable... which leads me to

Why is it that so many humans eyes don't give a clear picture?? Is it some vestige of natural selection??? It seems to me to be the same as if 20% of people were born with useless limbs, or something... I mean, vision being pretty important, how many people do you see with glasses?? What is it about us that makes the eyes so prone to defects?? I wonder about this every so often, ever after I was talking to some weird hippie dude and he said that if my eyes weren't perfect, that's how they were supposed to be, which, in a way, you can't argue... Thoughts??

PS glad to help, Jargo, I guess since I (We, from the response) have "been there", it makes the empathy a lot stronger, and once you get over the initial "image shock" (it's a change to your outward appearance that you have basically no choice about, never an easy thing), you'll SEE things a lot more clearly (sorry, pun INTENDED, so shoot me:)!)

Darth Sidious
04-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Glad we helped, Jargo. :) As for me, I am getting used to not wearing them finally...I guess I am one of those unlucky people who just looks like hell with glasses, but it's cool. I'm starting to recognize things without them and everything, and it's not too bad. The only bad thing is that I feel like a superficial, shallow b*****d for not wearing them...I don't know why, I guess it feels like I am obsessed with my looks, which I am not....It's just a confidence thing. I feel like Medusa when I wear mine. :D Jargo, once again, consider yourself very lucky that you look the way you do with yours. :)

Teeska Mon Eebon
04-15-2003, 11:27 PM
I just recently got them and am already seeing the gost Tycho was Talking about but who cares I can see now... Mine was the one where you can't see far away things

Amy
04-16-2003, 05:47 PM
To be honost, I think you look better WITH the glasses:) They really frame you well, and give alot of notice to your pretty eyes.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-24-2003, 10:49 PM
I have had glasses since the 3rd grade, and didn't start wearing them permanently until the 6th grade. I will admit, I did have a bit of an inferiority complex when I started wearing them all the time--I had no choice since I see as well as Mr. Magoo without them. I would get the occasional tease from the school chums and even my own father (who wore glasses to, figure that one out).

But as I get older, I see a lot of my peers starting to wear glasses--some out of necessity, but more than a few because they like the look. Some of the latest styles (the horned-rim variety) are quite fashionable. In fact, my brother Martin who is also nearsighted, stopped wearing his contacts altogether because he liked the look of his glasses. They do make one look more distinguished in my opinion. Even when I get laser eye surgery somewhere in the very near future (which I hope to once I get a some more scrilla) I will always keep a pair of glasses handy.

Lobito
04-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, recently i noticed that i was having trouble seeing stuff clearly. Like having to hold the tv mag up to my face so i could read the print. I always had really good vision, 20:20 apparently with a slight tendency towards short sightedness which i had reading glasses for. But the reading glasses weren't making a difference so off to the opticians i go and get an eye test and discover that i have a stigmatism in my left eye and I'll have to wear glasses on a permanent basis.

Well, i thought i was okay with it, after all since getting the glasses it's cured my migraine headaches totally.

I have suffered from migraine since i was 18, (not your normal headache, having migraine means truly feeling pain) and its been a while since i took the test for checking my vision. As far as i know i have 100% visivility, but who knows...i may end up going to take that test again.