PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary Vader and Ben!!

Beast
11-11-2001, 03:25 PM
Finally someone has gotten ahold of a picture of the 25th Anniversary Vader and Ben set. And I have to say that this is one awesome set. Infact I think they are all great.

Vader and Ben come in a pose straight out of ANH when they are dueling with their lightsabers. The Ben looks to be the best cloaked version to date, and the Vader looks to be the most accurate ANH version of Vader yet.

Here is a link to the picture, it's very cool. I only wish that it was a slightly larger picture. Hard to see alot of detail in the little picture that they have, but it's still cool. Definatly a must buy for me, as are all 3 of the sets.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3481227/1005498305634_25th_Aniversary_Obi.jpg

Here's hoping that since this one is shipping in a second assortment that we will get one more set of these 25th anniversary figures. A new R2-D2 and C-3PO set would be cool as hell. Only thing I can think of that would be cooler is if Hasbro did the other 4 figures from the original 1977(1978) line like this. A Stormtrooper/Death Squad Commander set and a Tusken Raider/Jawa set would be two more cool Anniversary sets. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
11-11-2001, 03:52 PM
I does look pretty nice from what I can see, although I wish we had a larger picture. Normally I dislike plastic capes on figures but for something like this it seems appropriate. These are more commemorative figures than toys.

darth chuck
11-11-2001, 11:16 PM
It's hard to denote detail on Vader, but the Ben looks like a "statue". I would rather see a little more articulation, but I agree that this was probably made more as a commemorative than action figures.

Of course, I will still buy it. I am a completist, after all.

JediCole
11-11-2001, 11:50 PM
I would think it is fairly obvious that these 25th Anniversary figures are meant to be display pieces. Especially if you have seen the earlier images of the boxed Luke/Leia set. They are set pieces, reproductions of famous stills in 3D. Everyone wants to articulate everything to death. Why can these not simply be what they are?

bigbarada
11-12-2001, 12:03 AM
They're basically like 3D photos, or statues. Those of you who collect McFarlane toys should be pretty familiar with the word "statue" by now.;)

All kidding aside, I really like these sets. So far the Han and Chewie appears to be the best, and this one seems to be a close second. I'll have to take a long look at the actual Luke and Leia one in the store before I decide to buy it or not; which I probably will.

BTW, what's the projected release date on these things?

Beast
11-12-2001, 12:11 AM
According to Planet Action Figure, who is pretty accurate on release dates. The Luke/Leia and Han/Chewie sets will be out in December.

As for the Vader/Ben set, they list it as coming in January... hopefully this means that there will be a 4th set released with the Vader/Ben set of R2-D2/C-3PO but so far we havent heard anything.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

GNT
11-12-2001, 12:18 AM
I love the new face detail on Vader :rolleyes: It looks interesting but not as good as Han Solo and Chewbacca set :)

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 02:41 AM
I'm excited to see this, but I hope this isn't the last ANH Obi-Wan we get for a while, there are still a few more versions I'd like.

bigbarada
11-12-2001, 02:55 AM
Yeah, Hasbro could stick that cloth Jedi Robe from the Ep1 Accessory Set on a card and call it the "Post-Final Duel Obi-Wan Kenobi.":p :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm at a loss for how many possible versions of ANH Kenobi are left to do? What did you have in mind, JT?

Beast
11-12-2001, 03:54 AM
I sense somthing, a sarcasm from JediTricks I've not felt since... :D

Seriously though, only varient I can think of we need for Ben from the OT is one with a cloth lower robes and cloak so that he can ride in the landspeeder. Or maybe a more ghost-like Ben then the previous figues, somthing other then just frosted clear blue plastic.

JEDIpartner
11-12-2001, 08:11 AM
But... clear blue plastic tastes so much better with frosting!:p

I think the Vader/Ben set looks outstanding as does the Han/Chewie set. I'm so not sold on the Luke/Leia one, though. I will have to see it as well.

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 11:50 PM
Well, we need an ANH Obi-Wan with cloth robes (or at least lower robes) for sitting in the landspeeder and the Falcon, and that could cover hood up or down looks for the Jundland Wastes. Technically, if you do this as a well-articulated figure, it could also pull off the "deactivating the tractor beam" look and could come with a seeker ball and you'd be all covered, but you KNOW Hasbro wouldn't do that. Basically, there have been 2 good Obi-Wan figures IMO and they're rigidly locked into their poses thanks to plastic robes. The other Obi-Wan figures have been pretty bad IMO -- original "split dress" Obi-Wan, super-karate-action-pose Obi-Wan from the Cantina Showdown, the Hunchback of Obi-Wan (aka Power F/X Obi-Wan), and of course, the twin icy pop Obi-Wans - dead and deader. ;)

GNT
11-13-2001, 02:52 AM
The only classic Obi Wan figure I want is an updated,fully movable Ghost of Obi Wan figure :)

broctoon
11-13-2001, 08:36 AM
Count me among those that would want to see a new ghost of Obi-Wan. The others were just pathetic. Imagine how cool it could be if the figure was the correct colors but see through. Maybe it could glow in the dark like EW Vader too!

S3PO
11-13-2001, 06:02 PM
I think if they make a new ghost Obi-Wan, he should be with his hood up like how we see him on Hoth.

Sith Worm
11-13-2001, 06:22 PM
I can't wait for all of these sets! They are great keep up the good work Hasbro!

Tycho
11-13-2001, 06:28 PM
I don't know any better than to stay out of this.

JediTricks: which are the 2 good Obi-Wans from ANH that you like? With you list of what you do not like, I gather it is the POTJ Millennium Falcon training Ben, and the Flashback Final Duel Ben. The former is pretty standard, to me, less a one-pose wonder. Though I never bought this figure as I didn't want to replace a '95 figure in my Falcon.

[Tycho's Tangent: all the figures in my first of 3 Falcons, are all the very first '95 figures I ever bought, even counting multiples. It's a shrine to 1995 and the return of my favorite collecting hobby, and hence carries '95 Luke (LS), Ben, Han, Chewie, R2 and Threepio. I never even desired to replace Chewbacca with the Dejerik piece. Like I said, it's a shrine to a good memory from 1995]

Next, IF YOU WANT OBI-WAN TO RIDE IN THE LANDSPEEDER:

you can do it right now, today, with what you've got. Take the plastic shell cape off '95 Obi-Wan, and then add the E1 accessory robe. Put him in the car. I did that for my scene with the new sandtroopers and it looks fine. Those that want a new figure will only really benefit from a possibly better headsculpt. '95's wasn't bad compared to other figures from that wave.

Finally, not to put a damper on your enthusiasm for these sets, but I'm not a completist and definitely won't be buying the Anniversary sets (I hope. It's easy to see something look this good and cave-in and buy them. I'm already thinking about collecting these CARDED). But I do dioramas. I think I need 18 Qui-Gon Jinn figures to do all my scenes for TPM. So I bought almost all of them close to May 3, 1999. I waited and got some of those on discount, and also managed to vary my scenes by using some of the Qui-Gon resculpts like Deluxe, Cinema Scene, soft goods, etc. If they came out with an ultimate Qui-Gon now, I would have absolutely no need for it, as I have 18+ Qui-Gon's already (many the same figure). The same for these Anniversary Sets. I have the Death Star Escape playset with '95 Luke and Leia swinging from it. That's nostalgia for me - I was late for my calculus test the first day those playsets came out, and I remember buying it at Target. (True my real nostalgia goes back to my days as a 12-backer) but I'm not complaining: in 1995 / '96 I enjoyed this hobby as much as I do now. I don't need to replace every figure in my scenes every time they come out with a better sculpt. If I really like the figure (like the new Lando), I do a new scene to justify it (the comic Underworld let me use Cantina Han, Bespin Escape Lando, Mechanic Chewbacca, 300 Boba Fett, POTJ IG-88, Cantina Greedo, and I threw in the rest of the regular bounty hunters (wishing Dengar had a resculpt - and a backpack!).

But to me, the Anniversary 2-packs are one-scene wonders, and while they look great and I hope you enjoy collecting them, I'll let you pass me in the isle while I wait for Jango Fett.

GNT
11-14-2001, 01:13 AM
I think if they make a new ghost Obi-Wan, he should be with his hood up like how we see him on Hoth.

Thats a new idea :)

Beast
11-14-2001, 02:26 AM
What they need to do to make a more accurate ghost Ben is not make the darn figure crystal clear. Now, it wouldnt be quite as transperant as the previous holo or ghost figures but here is my idea to make it more accurate.

Make the entire figure out of the correct clear plastic, mostly browns and whites, thankfully. The face can always be a paint application. Now, for a more ghostlike apperance, just like the Vader: Emporer's Wrath we take the molded figure parts, and place them into a new mold tray thats just slightly larger and coat each piece with a very very thin coating of clear blue plastic.

Voila, a more acurate version of Ghost Obi-Wan. Of course the added step of having to do a second mold step, like the Vader: EW may cost more. But I think it would look prety darn cool. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks