PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man: The Movie

Beast
02-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Very little info in the way of this movie right now, but it's never to early to start a discussion thread on it. Here's the only real news we have so far, a report from Variety. :)

New Line, Marvel Pumping 'Iron' for 2005
Thu Feb 13,12:54 AM ET

By Dana Harris and Michael Fleming

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - "Iron Man" has become the next Marvel character to land on Hollywood's live-action production slate.

New Line Cinema, which has worked with Marvel on the successful "Blade" franchise, hopes to turn "Iron Man" into a tentpole for its 2005 slate. The studio acquired the property in 2000, but has started from scratch with scribes Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, creators of the WB's top-rated "Smallville" and writers of current hit film "Shanghai Knights" and its predecessor, "Shanghai Noon."

"Iron Man," which first appeared as a Marvel comic in 1962, is the story of Tony Stark, inventor and owner of Stark Enterprises. His work in corporate espionage and international terrorism leads to an accident that forces him to go on life support in the form of a high-tech bodysuit. This also gives him an alternate identity, Iron Man, a being capable of a heroism Tony Stark could not achieve.

The latest Marvel property to become an action picture is "Daredevil," which 20th Century Fox releases Friday. Other Marvel characters that have been treated to feature adaptations include Fox's "X-Men" and its sequel, "X2," which is set for a May release. Likewise, Universal will release "The Hulk" in June.

Marvel also is prepping adaptations of "Fantastic Four" at Fox, "Man-Thing" and "The Punisher" at Artisan Entertainment and "Ghost Rider" at Dimension Films.
Tom Cruise was intrested in one point in playing Tony Stark. And in an interview with the Chicago Sun Times, Avi Arad seems to be very intrested in Tom Cruise playing the part.

Avi Arad: "Tom Cruise. I would love to have him for 'Iron Man.' If he wanted it, he could definitely be my Tony Stark."

Apperantly Cruise's production company "Cruise-Wagner Productions" even had Iron Man optioned at one point, and were setting it up at Paramount. But he decided to do "Mission Impossible" instead. :)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=598&ncid=805&e=3&u=/nm/20030213/film_nm/film_ironman_dc
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/sho-sunday-daredevil09.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
02-14-2003, 08:46 AM
"Iron Man. Iron Man.
Does whatever an iron can.
Flattens sleeves.
Squishes ants.
Put the creases in your pants.
Look out! Here comes the Iron Man"

I'd only like to see Mr. Mapother play Tony if he's willing to kick it in for the sequels.

And what the hell is up with Marvel slinging their franchises out to every studio in existence? Do they realize what this does for possible crossover films?

Will we ever see Hugh Jackman beat up Eric Bana's alter ego?

Will Tobey and Ben team up to smack Mike Duncan around?

Will David Hasslehoff ever cameo, anywhere? (Ahhhhh....how quickly we forget Nick Fury.)

The short answer is no. :( :mad:

dirtybones
02-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Tom Cruise as Iron Man? Boy what a joke!! thats all we need is a really short super hero. Wait, he could be Tim Drake, aka robin from the cartoon series. Now, that he MIGHT pull off.
Tom Cruise as IRON MAN...... HaHAhahahahahaha, thats about as funny as Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin. It just doesn't work for me.:frus:

mini-rock
02-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see Cruise as Iron Man. Awesome!:D

jblodgett
02-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Well-- Batman was played by Michael Keaton- who is only about 5'8" or so.

icatch9
02-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Clue me in, when was David Hasselhof Nick Fury? Am I forgetting something?

I agree that this collection of Movie Studios that Marval has sold to doesn't fair well for cross overs. Seems to me at that there where probally selling to the highest bidder and glad to do it. If Iron Man was sold in 2000 then when where more popular characters like Spidy and X Men sold. Way befor the super hero buzz was about Hollywood.

Chances are the studios that paid fat cash for Spidy and X men didn't want to risk more money on lessor knows like Daredevil and Iron Man.

I'd love to see an all out Super Hero movie. With every good guy and bad guy in the land. But that's what the comics are for. No one could afford to pay for all that talent anyway. Perhaps someday we'll get a kickn' cartoon of such an epic super hero battle.

Besides I think it's be real stange to see DD swaping one liners with Spidy. Tobe and Been just don't seem as though they'd get a long.

Kidhuman
02-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Iron Man sounds good. But Tom Cruise? They can do beter than that. What villian would he fight?

James Boba Fettfield
02-14-2003, 04:23 PM
He played Fury on the made for tv movie. I believe Fox aired the movie, icatch9.

JediTricks
02-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
"Iron Man. Iron Man.
Does whatever an iron can.
Flattens sleeves.
Squishes ants.
Put the creases in your pants.
Look out! Here comes the Iron Man"
Heh heh, that was really good. :D

Will David Hasslehoff ever cameo, anywhere? (Ahhhhh....how quickly we forget Nick Fury.) God I hope not, I try and try to forget that abomination, but my eyes still have the horror of Fox's TV movie of "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." etched into them. Never before have I rooted for a super virus to win the day. ;) That film redefined "garbage".

derek
02-14-2003, 07:23 PM
And what the hell is up with Marvel slinging their franchises out to every studio in existence? Do they realize what this does for possible crossover films?

i think two studios could get together and work something out. they could share the costs of making the film, and then one would get domestic ticket sales, one would get foreign ticket sales. this was done with titanic.

Eternal Padawan
02-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Heh heh, that was really good. :D

Can't take credit for that one. It was in the letters page of an old Iron Man comic. But it was catchy and it stuck with me all these years. :)

As for Iron Man villains, I see business and international intrigue. Justin Hammer is dealing with the Russians, who have an ace up their sleeve that looks an awful lot like Crimson Dynamo...

scruffziller
02-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Clue me in, when was David Hasselhof Nick Fury? Am I forgetting something?

Yea..........David Hasselhoff with a long bushy mustache.......definately could work!!!!!!:D Now we just need that Michael Knight afro!!!!

JediTricks
02-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Can't take credit for that one. It was in the letters page of an old Iron Man comic. But it was catchy and it stuck with me all these years. :) It was still good. :D

SithDroid
02-17-2003, 11:07 AM
I agree that Marvel shouldn't split up it's characters between studios, but it looks like things are now too late. However it looks like Fox has been getting a majority of them, which is fine by me because they are one of my favorite studios. At least one thing is for sure, Warner Brothers will never do a Marvel movie, thank goodness. Although, studios have teamed up in the past to release movies, so a crossover could be possible, but the greedy studio execs probably wouldn't agree to it. Wouldn't a Secret Wars movie be great.

As for Iron Man the movie, I'd go see it, though I never followed Iron Man the comic and don't know much about him. I think a great villain for him would definately have to be War Machine. Suit vs. suit. That's what I'd like to see for the movie.

icatch9
02-17-2003, 12:32 PM
A Secreat Wars movie would be cool, but I just don't see how it could happen. Even if one studio owned the rights to all the characters you still have the prolem with salaries. Getting all the big stars to be in one movie would be very expensive. I just can't see how anyone could afford to make such a movie. It would have to do big business if it where to be done. I think it would considering the success of Xmen, Spidy and now DareDevil, but would studio execs risk it?

Don't hold your breath ;)

Beast
02-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse then the idea of Tom Cruise playing Tony Stark/Iron Man. Harry Knowles hinted and FilmForce confirmed who the top contender is for the role at the moment. :dead:

The Actor Who Would Be Iron Man
IGN FilmForce has learned which hot young star is the top choice.

February 20, 2003 - IGN FilmForce learned earlier this week that the dream choice to portray the title of role Tony Stark in Iron Man is none other than... Leonardo DiCaprio. We held off on reporting this because, by all accounts, the young Oscar-nominee has NOT been offered the role... yet. He is simply at the top of the filmmakers' wish list, according to our sources. Marvel Entertainment honcho Avi Arad almost revealed as much to Ain't It Cool News today so that's why IGN FilmForce has decided to go ahead and report what we know.

So what is it about Leo that makes the powers-that-be think he is The Armored Avenger? Unlike Batman or Daredevil, it's not about who looks good in the suit since you'll never see Iron Man's face anyway. What matters is who portrays Tony Stark, the dashing yet vulnerable billionaire industrialist who becomes Iron Man. Whomever plays this role must be believable as a playboy, an astute businessman and someone whose (physical and mental) health is off enough to warrant putting on a suit of armor to fight crime.

With Leo poised to portray the eccentric billionaire industrialist Howard Hughes in The Aviator, he should be able to easily slip into the character of Tony Stark... once the script is written and the role is offered to him.

Iron Man is in development at New Line Cinema for a 2005 release. Smallville's Alfred Gough & Miles Millar will write the screenplay with Angry Films producing. No director has been hired yet.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
02-22-2003, 01:53 AM
Well, after reading that I'm now I feeling quite ill. I'm just glad I'm not as big of an Iron Man fan as I am with some of Marvel's other characters.

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 01:58 AM
Leo with a stache. No, it just doesn't work. Now Tom Seleck, there's a stache worthy of Tony Stark!

SithDroid
02-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Leo would be horrible. He doesn't even remotely resemble Tony Stark. Why does everyone want to use Leo in their movies, like the new Alexander the Great movie, surely someone else was more suited for the role. Thank heavens he didn't get the role of Peter Parker for Spider-man. Come on Marvel, you've done a great job not letting your comic franchises fall apart like DC's, so please don't let this happen.

JediTricks
02-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Leo brings a lot of subtext to his acting, he gives an additional layer to his characters. He's pretty much my last choice for this role though. If Marvel wants to pull off another "Michael Keaton is Batman" coup, they need someone like Sean Penn in the role.

darthvyn
02-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

God I hope not, I try and try to forget that abomination, but my eyes still have the horror of Fox's TV movie of "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." etched into them. Never before have I rooted for a super virus to win the day. ;) That film redefined "garbage".

i still think it's funny that they didn't give him the trademark eyepatch because they thought it was too cliche...

whu??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

though, i'm always there for some hasselhoff action... ;)

leo as stark?

whu???:confused: :confused: :confused:

quoted from the comic "the ultimates" (which is an updated version of "the avengers,") of which tony "iron man" stark is a member, in a discussion of who would portray their characters when the movie is optioned...

"and i'll tell you the one guy alive who could do a convincing tony stark - - "from hell's" johnny depp"

"picture him doing ED WOOD in an IRON MAN suit and you've got tony stark up there in celluloid, baby..."

the whole scene is actually awesome... they talk about brad pitt as captain america, sam jackson as nick fury (he's black in the ultimate universe, which is separate from the regular marvel universe... don't ask...) matthew mcconnaughey as giant/ant man (he goes psycho crazy... that'd be cool...) lucy liu as wasp (she's asian in the ulitmates...) and steve buscemi as bruce banner/hulk... that would be the coolest movie ever... if it were written or at least supervised by the writer of the ultimates - mark millar...

EDIT just re-read the latest issue, and i would make only ONE change to the above cast - switch mcconaughey and pitt... MMC looks more the part of cap, while brad pitt can really do crazy well - 12 monkeys, end of fight club... this would REALLY be perfect... i mean, HUGE...

Eternal Padawan
02-24-2003, 08:13 AM
I see Thomas Jane as Steve Rogers/Captain America.

Aaron Eckhart or Viggo Mortensen would make a smoothe Tony Stark.

Eric Bana should play Bruce Banner. ;)

If he were a bit younger, Sam Elliot would make a killer Nick Fury. Even better than Heston's in True Lies. :)

If Leo were going to play any super hero, it would be Kyle Rayner to Scott Bakula's Hal Jordan.

(Ok, I'm just making shtuff up now...)

:Pirate: yeargh...

plasticfetish
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
From Ain't it Cool News...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30225

AICN EXCLUSIVE!! IRON MAN Has Found Its Tony Stark!!

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

Just got off the phone with Harry. It seems that the spies are out in force this year at Fantastic Fest, and one guy in particular sidled up to Knowles to tell him that there’s a lead actor now for IRON MAN. THE FOUNTAIN was about to start. Harry was about to go up onstage to do the intro. Then the guy told Harry what he told him, and Harry decided to call me before he started the proceedings.

“Is your guy that sure, Harry?” I asked.

“I hear there will be a trade break tomorrow,” Harry said. He told me a few other things the spy said off-the-record, and it certainly sounds like this guy’s the real deal. “Now I have to go because 250 people are staring at me wondering what I’m talking on my phone about.”

Brace yourselves for what happens when someone makes the right choice for once.

Tony Stark will be played by Robert Downey, Jr.

I can’t even express how much I love that choice. First of all, congratulations to Paramount and Marvel for having the nerve to pin their franchise on Downey. He’s had some rough years, but if I’ve ever seen anyone aggressively work to rehab their career, it’s Downey. Even in his darkest days, he was doing good work, but lately he seems more in touch than ever with what makes him great as a performer. He’s excellent with comedy, and he can break an audience’s heart with ease. Rare combination.

And when the franchise finally gets into some of Tony Stark’s darkest hours, when he faces down his own demons in the second film or the third, can you imagine how much soul Downey can bring to it? If handled right, that’s some of the most potent dramatic material in any Marvel movie, and now they’ve got the right actor to make it all work.

Congratulation, Favreau and Paramount and Marvel. Can’t wait.

And thanks for the call, Harry. Hope THE FOUNTAIN screening is going well.

“Moriarty” out.

Phantom-like Menace
09-28-2006, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't say that couldn't work. I can't say why (because I don't know) but I trust Favreau to give us an enjoyable movie, so I'm still happily on board.

2-1B
09-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Meh on the RDJr part, I'm not a fan of his so I don't really care...but I hope Sabbath will have at least one tune on the soundtrack? lol

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I think he's a very good actor, but a bit too snarky to be Stark. :p To be honest, I think Nick Cage might have been the right actor for the part (though he looks even more like a total doof with a mustache), he's a little bigger, a little tougher, a little more direct, and a little more in-your-face than RDjr.

2-1B
09-29-2006, 07:39 PM
What if they just changed the character's name to Tony Snark, then ?

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 08:44 PM
What if they just changed the character's name to Tony Snark, then ?
That would have been hilarious if you had posted it before my comments. :ermm: I suggest you find someplace that doesn't read SSG and post it there, it'll seem a lot more clever - I'm not being facetious, it's funnier without my comment as setup, should be out there.

Phantom-like Menace
09-30-2006, 11:28 PM
I hope Sabbath will have at least one tune on the soundtrack? lol

Even just to hear that "one tune" would make the movie for me.

JediTricks
10-01-2006, 12:42 AM
It'll probably be some horrifically mutilated cover version from some hot new young flash-in-the-pan act that will come out sounding like trash but get plenty of airplay.

El Chuxter
10-01-2006, 10:51 PM
They could use the Ozzy/Primus version from a few years back. It was quite good. Better than a movie based on Iron Man deserves, for sure.

2-1B
10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
That was "N.I.B" that he did with Primus but Busta Rhymes certainly did an interesting version of "Iron Man" on that same album. lol lol lol

El Chuxter
10-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh, duh. Man, I feel stupid.

The Busta Rhymes song was a ripoff, as it'd been previously released on his Extinction-Level-Event album, and wasn't truly a cover of Iron Man.

scruffziller
10-10-2006, 09:02 AM
I wanted David Hasselhoff.:( :D
Garth Knight as Tony Stark would have been awesome!!!

Jayspawn
10-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Downey is a poor choice. He's a skinny, wimpy man.

Tom Selleck would have been the perfect Iron Man. He IS Iron Man! He's even got the famous moustache.

But I'll leave it up to John Fav to make it work.

JediTricks
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
What is with you guys wanting old fogeys playing Tony Stark? Hasselhoff is 54, Tom Selleck is 61! Granted, RDjr is 41, but that's a lot younger than the geezers you guys want.

Rocketboy
10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
This casting is worse than Kirsten Dunst in Spider-man and Ben Affleck in Daredevil and almost as bad as Nicolas Cage in everything (and Ghost Rider).

El Chuxter
10-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, he's been around for about forty years, and he was already in (at least) his mid- to late 20s when he became Iron Man. :)

2-1B
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
What if they had the opportunity to land Adam West, Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, or Christian Bale...whom would you choose ?

El Chuxter
10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Depends on the movie. All of them are cool, though not all have been great Batmen. I kinda feel bad for Clooney, especially, whom I'm sure didn't know what a suckfest he was signing on for.

Is Iron Man in a tight spot?

Or is he feeling the Heat?

Or should Iron Man Begin?

Maybe Mrs Stark can fight evil and he can play Mr Mom?

Altogether, though, Adam West and the Iron-Tusi would be the most fitting for this, one of the most boring of Marvel superheroes.

"Mandarin. . . my. . . repulsor rays will defeat. . . your. . . evil. . . orange aroma!"

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Clooney sucked as Batman, but Clooney with a mustache and a better director probably would make a pretty decent Iron Man.

El Chuxter
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Batman & Robin was the first thing I actually saw Clooney in (not counting old Facts of Life reruns). I hated him until I saw O Brother Where Art Thou, and realized that he was actually a good actor, and couldn't be held responsible for that travesty.

2-1B
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Clooney sucked as Batman, but Clooney with a mustache and a better director probably would make a pretty decent Iron Man.

And a handsome action figure.

Hopefully that's true, because if they make toys for this movie I'm sure we'll see them sitting everywhere...except the checkout lanes, of course.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
The trailer is UP!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/large_trailer.html

Looks very awesome indeed. It's been freezing for myself and many folks, but i'm betting it's just getting nailed today. Still, awesome! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Trailer was awesome. 2008 should bring a good summer.

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll admit: as much as I loathe Iron Man, and as little as I cared about a movie about him until about two minutes ago, that... FRIGGIN'... ROCKED!!

JediTricks
09-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmm, I dunno, they weren't as able to get away from Downey's nasally, smarta** cliches as much as I was hoping. It could still work, but I would have preferred they at least downmix his voice slightly to give him more of a Marvel feel. The gray armor scenes felt too much like Robocop and it was too piecey, but I am hoping it'll work better in the film than that badly-edited trailer. All in all, it gave me a mixed feeling right up until we saw the red & gold armor flying, then it was riveting.

2-1B
09-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Looks pretty cool, way better than many other superhero films...nice use of the tune Iron Man but Hey Man Nice Shot has been done to death in movies/trailers.

plasticfetish
05-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Okay, just got back from seeing the film... and I loved it.

I'll wait for a few more people to soak this one up before I go into detail, but in short, I think they did everything right with this film. It looks good (sometimes great), the acting is good (sometimes great), the story is fun and it's as solid as I'd ever want from a comic book inspired movie. Robert Downey Jr. is a perfect Tony Stark.

...and yeah, stay for the end of the credits. :)

General_Grievous
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I saw this at midnight last night as well. I've gotta say, it's definitely in the top tier of the Marvel films, along with the likes of X2 and Spider-Man 2. The cast was, for the most part, great. Robert Downey Jr steals the show, of course. Terrence Howard was cool as Rhodey (I liked the nod to War Machine, too). Jeff Bridges made for a decent villain, even though that bald terrorist was more menacing. But I think the weak link in the cast was Gwyneth Paltrow. It didn't seem like she took the role seriously. She looked like she was sleepwalking through it, which was really distracting to me. She wasn't Katie Holmes bad, but I wasn't impressed. The only other (minor) complaint I had was that everything was way too technologically advanced in Stark's home. The action was top-notch stuff. I could never get tired of Iron Man tossing terrorists around like they're rag dolls.

And by the way, the post-credits scene is quite possibly the greatest post-credits scene in any movie. Ever.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
And by the way, the post-credits scene is quite possibly the greatest post-credits scene in any movie. Ever.

I nearly crapped myself when I heard "the voice" if you read me. :thumbsup:

I saw it today and loved it. Very excellent film! :thumbsup:

Mvader91
05-03-2008, 12:11 AM
I gotta tell ya I could not agree more. It was excellent Downey was great. the effects realistic as can be. Two thumbs up baby!

plasticfetish
05-03-2008, 03:15 AM
So funny... a friend of mine was telling me today how she saw the midnight showing, and at the end the people she was with were all, "No, there's nothing after the credits, let's leave." So they missed out. Bummer!

Anyway, I say we give people a week to see this film, and then sc**w it... we can say whatever we want in this thread. :thumbsup:

2-1B
05-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I would have been furious if I didn't stay through the credits.

Very cool movie, it was a lot of fun. Jeff Bridges rocks and Snarky Downey Jr. was very very good, I thought.

Probably the 4th best superhero movie I've ever seen.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I saw it today. I didn't really know anything about Iron Man, but when they were talking about it last year on Attack of the Show, it sounded pretty interesting.

I always stay until the end of the credits anyway. I'm not sure what that was all about, but I suppose it suggests a direction for a sequel or something.

preacher
05-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Awesome movie. Better than X-men. And as good as Spiderman. Marvel's first movie out of their own studio was a great first start. And it was a good start to the Summer blockbusters. The surprise after the credits was very cool. After reading Ultimate series from marvel comics I always thought "He" was a shoe-in for THAT role. If you are an avid reader of the ultimate marvel comics line-up you will definitely appreciate what happens after the credits. If not you will miss why its so cool.

Robert Downey Jr. was perfect as Tony Stark. Yes, he starts out cocky and snide, but as his character evolves so do his snappy quips. The only compaint I have was how fast it all went.

As for Gwyneth Paltrow - I've never cared for her anyway. But her presense didn't distract me like it did others.

I really enjoyed it. So did my wife.

jamesbondo07
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Great Movie!!! One of the better super hero movies I have seen in awhile. I have an idea about the ending after the credits but someone will have to explain to me a little more what that is all about when this thread decides to start posting spoilers.

El Chuxter
05-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Is Iron Man any less boring than he is in the comics?

I know that sounds like a gripe, and a stupid question, but I'm being serious. I had changed my mind to give this a pass, since it occurred to me that, no matter how cool it looked visually, it was based on possibly the most boring superhero this side of Matter Eater Lad. On paper, he shouldn't be lame (self-destructive alcoholic douchebag forced to wear a suit of armor to preserve his life, who secretly masquerades as his own superhero bodyguard), but somehow it just never gelled. Poor writing for the most part up until recently, at which point I don't care about the comic character or his universe because it's all about douchebags being douchebags and fighting each other and not doing much superheroing anymore.

The reviews seem to be positive, though. Personally, I already read spoilers about the commandingly howling end credits dealio and think it's kind of ridiculous, but I can overlook that (or leave before the credits are over) IF this movie is getting all the good buzz for something other than flashy effects.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Not being a comics person and never having read or known much of anything about Iron Man before this, I can't make a comparison. In some ways I was kind of bored during the film, but part of that was just the way the origin story was set up I think. Perhaps too much focus on building and perfecting the suit and less action and plot. There were also several things that were also kind of predictable - situations where it was obvious what was going to happen next. Still, I liked it and those things didn't ruin the movie for me. Mr. Jr. played the part well, Mrs. Coldplay was nice to look at, and Iron Man makes for a cool superhero.

mabudonicus
05-04-2008, 10:42 AM
It is a very good film- not an AWESOME movie, in that it WAS pretty much all setup, but overall it was well paced and very nice to look at.

What I didn't like was the way the villain was handled- to me it REALLY felt like they made the original cut, screened it and realized they'd left him out, so they went back and shoehorned him into the last several minutes of the film just so he was included...

My other "gripe" (and it's a real soft one) is that the action was a little TOO thin. What there was looked great, and "proper", but for me there just wasn't QUITE enough, somehow. Still having the action that WAS present be SO well done I can't much complain, especially with the "non action" parts being handled so well.

One of my FAVE aspects of the film is how it avoided the kind of emotional hi-jacking that tends to happen with way too many films- there was pretty much not a single sappy/mushy/irresponsible bit, and it was clear there was no bogus emotional manipulation built in to add phoney "weight" (think Hulk here). No "demons", no nothing- Tony has his change of heart then immediately decides exactly the way it's gonna play out (tho I have a bad feeling that any future installments WILL take the low road on this front, but here's hoping it turns out otherwise)

I will look forward to having the dvd in my collection and would be comfortable recommending the film to pretty much anyone.
:beard: Iso&Baws

Stan Lee's cameo was friggin hilarious

2-1B
05-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Chux, I have never, nor will I ever, read a single panel of an Iron Man comic book...but I liked this movie. I had no comic book to compare it to, I just enjoyed it as a movie fan.

It wasn't the flashy effects for me, I just really liked the story and RDJ as TS/IM.

FYI

LOL

21B

IIRC

I&B

FAO

TRU

JetsAndHeels
05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Saw it last night and thought it was a very solid film.

I don't know much about Iron Man either, but after this I think I will pick up a few of the comics...maybe the comic adaptation of the film if they made one.

Thought the acting was good all around, especially Robert Downey, Jr. and Jeff Bridges.

JON9000
05-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm stoked to see this when I get the chance

Mad Slanted Powers
05-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Stan Lee's cameo was friggin hilariousI missed it. I saw his name in the credits as "himself." I think I figured out what it was though, and looking it up now confirms it. Since he was called by a different name in the movie, at the time I thought it was that person actually playing himself.

I don't know much about Iron Man either, but after this I think I will pick up a few of the comics...maybe the comic adaptation of the film if they made one.
I was reading up on Iron Man on wiki last night and it sounds like they sort of combined different storylines and characters and changed some things in the movie adaptation.

JediTricks
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I am not a huge Iron Man fan in general, I've liked the action figures in general, that's basically all I need, the stories never did much for me. But I really liked this movie, without being tied too much to the IM backstory (this movie changes a few things, including how Tony knows Rhodey) or too many of Stark's demons at once. There's a lot of good scenes, they picked the right actor to get the tone of the main character without making him too much of any 1 thing. Gwyneth as Pepper Potts didn't entirely do it for me, she played it very much like she does most stuff, a little vulnerable and out the side of her mouth, but she's got her own inner character which comes through so it didn't detract which is fine. Jeff Bridges does know how to turn on the scene-chewing when he needs to, I wish they had given him a little more in the script just because when we finally get the reveal, there's not enough of that guy afterwards.

The movie's just over 2 hours long, and I felt like it should have been longer even, the final battle could have been a little longer and had a little more going on, and I felt like there should have been 1 more encounter with IM and some generic evil. But for what it is, I really enjoyed it and will definitely go back later this week to see it again. The packed-house crowd I saw it with enjoyed it a lot too, although 1 douchebag outside said "I didn't see Iron Man to watch a guy fly, I saw Superman to watch a guy fly" - first off, I loved the flight scenes, the IM mk 3 suit is basically a wearable jet; secondly, this movie was way better than SupesReturns; and thirdly, I guess he didn't notice that Iron Man was fairly indestructible until the final battle, "the invincible Iron Man" character description felt fairly apt, this was a wounded and frail man now kicking monster *** with ease thanks to his intelligence. And yet, the film also didn't feel like a gadget-fest the way too many of the Batman movies have, IM's gadgetering almost feels too subdued, but that leaves us hungering for more. Loved Stan Lee as Hef, that ruled, I cheered for that one. There were some other good surprises. And the after-credits scene was a spine-tingler, I avoided spoilers and was WELL rewarded for that, awesome surprise.

Robert Downey Jr really seems to make the part his own, he's sardonic, smart, a little wild, capable, driven, and opinionated. Favreau chose wisely when he wanted someone who was a "likable a**hole" that carries the audience through character growth. When he does the stuff that he does, both in and out of that suit, it feels very authentic whether it's comedy or pathos. The movie is draped well on his shoulders, it's not an ego trip in that respect, it's about finding that a sleazy mess of a person can do good things when the opportunity arises.

There aren't many theatrical films lately which leave me hungering for more, this is absolutely one of 'em so, as Martha would say, it's a good thing.

bigbarada
05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I saw this tonight and I was very happy with it and I pretty much agree with everything JT said.

I was also never much of an Iron Man fan at all. I was aware of the character, vaguely aware of his origin; but the only thing about him I really remembered was that he was an alcoholic. So I don't know how accurate or inaccurate this movie is to the comic book storyline(s). However, none of that matters because it's a great movie that made me into an Iron Man fan by the end.

It never felt contrived or forced as some of these kinds of movies do when they are trying too hard to adhere to the written material. Everything flowed well and logically and, most importantly, was entertaining to watch.

And fortunately, they didn't burden the story down with the whole alcoholic thing. Save that for the third or fourth movie.

I left the theater craving a sequel and now that it's believable that Tony Stark can actually build the suit, we really need to see him push it to the limits in the next.

My only regret is that I didn't stay to the end of the credits, but I was with my friend Mark and his two young sons. They're both under 5 so it's not easy to get them to sit still with nothing but words on the screen. I would appreciate some kind of clue as to whether this little bonus scene is worth the wait.

2-1B
05-04-2008, 10:28 PM
bigB, you will be furious when you found out what you missed.

bigbarada
05-04-2008, 10:38 PM
bigB, you will be furious when you found out what you missed.

That big of a deal, huh? :upset: I guess I need to watch it again, but I was probably going to do that anyway.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
That big of a deal, huh? :upset: I guess I need to watch it again, but I was probably going to do that anyway.
I think it would only be important to those familiar with comic books, because I didn't really know much about what they were talking about. It does suggest a possibility for the next movie. Caesar didn't put furious in bold because you would be extremely furious.

2-1B
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Sean Penn ? Tom Cruise ? Leo DiCaprio ?

Aaron Eckhart is in the new Batman, NOT the new Iron Man.

DarthQuack
05-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Damn, I was hoping you said Angie Everheart....she's hot.

Beast
05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Speaking of the next movie. Marvel announced the following plans today.

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.
They're also hoping to add Ant-Man to the Pre-Avengers build-up plans also.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080505/20080505005656.html?.v=1

preacher
05-05-2008, 10:04 AM
What I really appreciated was how the movie kind of poked fun at itself in subtle ways. Kind of like the way Cyclops made fun of the old X-Men uniforms toward the end of the first X-Men film.

Most hillarious were the trials and tribulations Stark suffered while trying to perfect his suit. The automatons were hillarious. I mean they even had a reasonable explanation why the suit is gold and red. I never ever understood why anybody would make a suit gold and red. Its mentioned off-handedly and you can accept the reasoning. Its these little things that add depth to Tony Stark. Effectively his laboratory was a character. It was really a clever way to exploit Tony's reclusive, obsessive nature but make him interact with his technology. His one true love. His alcholism dominated the first Act. I don't remember seeing him drink in the second or third acts.

I was kicking myself toward the end when the "agent" tells Tony and Pepper what they can call his branch of government. Throughout the entire movie this agent tries to meet with Pepper and Tony and always recites his branch of governement. Its like Department of Homeland Security - but its a much bigger mouthful. A point that both Pepper and Tony make during the story. They even tell the agent that he needs to shorten the name. And at the end they get their wish and its a very pleasing reveal and makes the after credits scene all the more revelant.

If you don't read much in the way of comics you won't "get" it. But for those in the "know" its a significant easter egg.

I never read Iron Man religiously. I think I own five comics. His villains are kind of bland. Most are men in battle suits similar to Obediah Stane's Iron Monger. There are a couple that are quite different. An oriental magician named Mandrin and a dragon named Fing Fang Foom. Iron Man is the leader of the avengers so he gets into some fights with bigger than life villains. The stories to me felt too diverse. On one hand Tony Fights supernatural villains and on the other he fights men in battle armor. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. At least with Spiderman, the villains are close to the same level as Peter Parker in terms of raw strength. Iron Man is all over the map. Its going to be interesting to see who will be in the sequel.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Decent quality here for the after credits clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLNu4G6XQg

plus, the crowd reaction is cool. :D

Phantom-like Menace
05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the link to the clip. I stayed through the credits and saw the scene in theaters (I always stay through credits), but as soon as I heard his voice, I realized what character he was playing and what the purpose of the scene was (I'm being vague here), and I just got too excited to really listen to it.

bigbarada
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I guess the significance is lost on me, I've never really been much of an Avengers fan. Still, thanks for posting it.:)

JetsAndHeels
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I was reading up on Iron Man on wiki last night and it sounds like they sort of combined different storylines and characters and changed some things in the movie adaptation.

Ah, thanks. I can deal with that though, because the movie was very cool.

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Leo brings a lot of subtext to his acting, he gives an additional layer to his characters. He's pretty much my last choice for this role though. If Marvel wants to pull off another "Michael Keaton is Batman" coup, they need someone like Sean Penn in the role.
Dang, I wasn't too far off in that statement!

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 04:10 AM
I think it would only be important to those familiar with comic books, because I didn't really know much about what they were talking about. It does suggest a possibility for the next movie. Caesar didn't put furious in bold because you would be extremely furious.I *loved* it, I'm not even a big Marvel fan, much less a big Avengers or SHIELD fan, but it was such a cool addition.

Speaking of the next movie. Marvel announced the following plans today.

They're also hoping to add Ant-Man to the Pre-Avengers build-up plans also.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080505/20080505005656.html?.v=1Yay! Captain America's title sucks though, just go "Captain America".

Most hillarious were the trials and tribulations Stark suffered while trying to perfect his suit. The automatons were hillarious. I mean they even had a reasonable explanation why the suit is gold and red. I never ever understood why anybody would make a suit gold and red. Its mentioned off-handedly and you can accept the reasoning. Its these little things that add depth to Tony Stark. Effectively his laboratory was a character. It was really a clever way to exploit Tony's reclusive, obsessive nature but make him interact with his technology. His one true love. His alcholism dominated the first Act. I don't remember seeing him drink in the second or third acts.I loved the bits with the helper bots, that was cute and entertaining stuff while giving us a little look into how Tony interacts with the world. From what I understand, the gold was originally apparently to make it more friendly to the people who saw Iron Man as a hulking scary thing, and then the red was style. Personally, I think if ya gotta give a robo-suit colors, them's the ones to give it.

Tony drank in the second act at his party which he wasn't invited to, but they didn't make it feel like excess which I think was wise, sets up the abuse for the next film.

I was kicking myself toward the end when the "agent" tells Tony and Pepper what they can call his branch of government. Throughout the entire movie this agent tries to meet with Pepper and Tony and always recites his branch of governement. Its like Department of Homeland Security - but its a much bigger mouthful. A point that both Pepper and Tony make during the story. They even tell the agent that he needs to shorten the name. And at the end they get their wish and its a very pleasing reveal and makes the after credits scene all the more revelant.I squealed when they explained that the long silly name group was SHIELD, especially the seemingly mundane and goofy agent who turned out to know what he was doing. The after-credits scene was just the cherry on top of a great sundae.

Beast
05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Captain America's Shield makes a suprise cameo in the film. Confirmed by Marvel.

Insider at Marvel confirms.. It is Captain Americas Shield!! Tony Starks father created weapons during World War II. He was the one that created the shield! Which is why Tony had it in the first place. Why did Tony Stark have it our on his work table? As a reference for the suit he was building of course. The suit is made out of the same metal that the shield was made from. So there you have it folks! That is Captain Americas shield!
http://www.geektyrant.com/2008/05/is-that-captain-americas-shield-in-the-background-of-iron-man-movie/

Slicker
05-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm not a Marvel fan in the least but I enjoyed this movie. I'll definitely see it again (and for only $1 on base why would I not?!)

JediTricks
05-15-2008, 09:46 PM
That's Cap's shield? I didn't even notice it, pretty cool addition!

Tycho
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I loved this movie until the predictable end - which I liked as well - but loved the build-up and character exploration during the course of the film, better.

I totally want to live exactly like Tony Stark! Now that guy has the lifestyle!

The suit was way cool as well. I could almost bring myself to buying action figures made from that stuff. I may have to take another look at the toys.

What's that? I never have bought super hero toys before. This will be an interesting research expedition in Target.

JetsAndHeels
05-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I could almost bring myself to buying action figures made from that stuff. I may have to take another look at the toys.

What's that? I never have bought super hero toys before. This will be an interesting research expedition in Target.

Personally I would recommend the one with removable armor. I have it and I think it is a pretty cool toy. Being able to remove the mask and see the Tony Stark face is a cool feature.

Blue2th
05-26-2008, 04:51 PM
This movie rocked! There were times I was reminded of Robocop 2 during the last fight scene.

I wouldn't mind having a figure of the first iron suit he made.

JediTricks
05-27-2008, 04:51 AM
Glad you dug it Tycho! I knew Tony Stark would be your kind of guy. ;)

Yeah, I agree on the suggestion of the "Prototype" figure, it's the regular red & gold armor but with removable helmet and chest plate, swappable forearms, better paint, and better "flying" pose in the legs (the waist lets the legs come close together). Also, it's pretty much the most findable version. And the only drawbacks are non-poseable mid-torso and wrists (and the poseable wrists on the regular Mk 3 figure suuuuuck anyway).

Tycho
05-27-2008, 06:47 AM
If Hot Toys made an Iron Man 14" figure or something of that nature, it could really be a great collector piece.

JediTricks
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
That's a good idea, the 12" market would work well there. Unfortunately, Hasbro has the license right now and they made a very lame electronic toy in that scale. But I'd love to see someone make a 1/6th scale version of that Mk 3 Stan Winston armor, I mean if Winston's studios can make a real one the way they did, Medicom or Hot Toys or one of the others out there should be able to replicate it at 1/6th. Heck, I'm surprised Sideshow hasn't yet, they've got some of the IM licenses.