PDA

View Full Version : To Kill a Senator...

Co Jo-Da
11-11-2001, 05:32 PM
In Episode I, Palpatine wanted to draw attention toward Naboo and of course him-self so he could get elected Supreme Chancellor. Even though Palpatine’s plan for the Trade Federation to keep control of Naboo had failed, his plan to become Chancellor succeeds.

Now flash-forward to Episode II, Palpatine is in firm control of the Republic. Dispite the Confederation(?) wanting break away from the Republic, lead by Count Dooku (whom we all know is working [in secret] for Palpatine anyhow). Why does Palpatine want to put out a hit on his own Senator?

So, why is Pademe’ the targeted for assassination?

Lord Malakite
11-11-2001, 05:38 PM
Thats easy, she either came close to exposing Palpatine for what he really is, or it is just another ploy to bend both sides to his will in order to gain more power.

Jedi Clint
11-11-2001, 05:57 PM
I think Padme and the people of Naboo she represents believe in the sovereignty of their system - freedom from "big brother" running the show. "I can't fight a war for you." The Jedi did not fight wars on behalf of one side or the other in a conflict. Instead they and the Republic remain neutral in regards to strife between their member systems. The difference in the dynamics between the opposing forces in TPM and those of AOTC deal with the scale of the conflict. When the fissure forms in the body politic and the environment becomes hostile as it will at the end of AOTC, the Jedi aren't capable of keeping the peace and a central military is adopted. It is my conclusion that Padme Amidala has repeatedly voted against the military creation act during her political career. When it was first proposed, perhaps when the Confederacy first formed, it did not have the support that it has before the end of AOTC when war breaks out between both factions of the galaxy. This would make the young Senator's vote crucial and places her life in danger. I think it is decided that Dooku and/or Nute Gunray had a hit put out on her, due to the end result of Kenobi's investigation. Her history with the Trade Federation being attributed to their motivation rather than her objection to the military creation act.

GNT
11-12-2001, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
So, why is Pademe’ the targeted for assassination?

She knows the truth...so she must pay the price...