PDA

View Full Version : Toy Fair Sneak Peek!

187-Maul
02-14-2003, 02:33 PM
check it out here
http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=105

The Overlord Returns
02-14-2003, 02:35 PM
I thought they weren't doing toyfair this year?

Check out what is in there though............Clone trooper figures from the new line, and another cloaked anakin for the Clone line.......

Sweet stuff.......

jblodgett
02-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Whoa... new packaging... check out that yoda!!

The Overlord Returns
02-14-2003, 02:40 PM
That unleashed luke is laughable....what were they thinking?

Dr Zoltar
02-14-2003, 02:40 PM
What the heck have they done to poor Yoda? Nice Rambo look. He's just missing a bandana.

fourtwo
02-14-2003, 02:43 PM
holy cow!
loving the kneeling cloney, and the laying down snipering one.
the unleashed luke is a nightmare though, hopefully they'll change it up a bit before it gets released.

187-Maul
02-14-2003, 02:57 PM
I actually really like the unleashed Luke a lot, I'll probably get him
the clones set is nice too, as is the droids one, althouhg I don't think that I'll still need that one once it's released
the gunship looks horrible IMO with the new paintjob, as does the starfighter, but the Hailfire droid, geonosian fighter and re-release AAT look nice
BTW, it says the Anakin and Clone on card aren't going to be released again, they just used them to show the new package, which looks very cool IMO

Beast
02-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Damn, that CloneTrooper 3-Pack is amazing. A yellow CloneTrooper Commander, A basic CloneTrooper that can kneel, and a Sniper CloneTrooper. Damn, those are awesome as hell. And the Droid Army 3-Pack is great. A Super Battle Droid, Red Battle Droid, and a Destroyer Droid with the proper head and no missle arms. :cool:

The Aqua/Blue Jedi Starfighter looks sweet as hell. And it mentions the blue one from the deleted scenes. I guess that solves the mystery of if it was blue, or a trick of the light. Sweet looking ship. Definatly buying one of those.

The Geonosian Fighter and HailFire Droid look great all painted up. Can't wait to buy those. The new Republic Gunship doesn't look all that different, but not bad. Same with the Tank. Probably will pass on the tank, unless it catches my eye. :)

Yoda looks cool in his EU outfit. I love the vest and bandolier. Great looking Yoda. I hope the Mace Windu is as good. Since we need a decent Mace from E2 or after. Can't wait. Bring on the Clone Wars! :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
02-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Those Clonetroopers are awesome, I love the Clone Commander and the kneeling Clone.
The Anakin figure on the card at the back looks like Anakin Skywalker - Secret Ceremony, but the card is a Red Clonetrooper? I wonder why? :confused: :)
The Yoda looks really cool, he's different to how I expected, I wonder if he'll look like that in Episode III? :)

Tycho
02-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Luke Unleashed rocks! This one rivals Anakin as the best one!

I think the Clone Troopers are highly articulated, so you can pose any of them sniping, fighting, and hopefully marching!

I think I heard they are the red Clone Captains, repainted white or with yellow command stripes!

Yoda looks cool. I wonder if he'll wear stuff like that in E3?

What's up with Anakin's Jedi Starfighter? (not shown in the pics). Will his ship be something new seen in Episode 3? I'm sure Hasbro can get a hold of some pre-production pictures by now. They start shooting Episode 3 in three months or something. I bet they already know what the new ships are going to look like for the next movie!

I want the Hailfire Droid and 5 Geonosian fighters right now!

The Tank is a good toy. I don't need another one, but I'm glad to see that people who don't have it, can still get a hold of it. I hope it still fires 4 missles. That's a fun feature for me :D

I love Lando 12" - but see the 12" forum for my comments about that.

But my favorite thing I saw was the Luke Skywalker Unleashed! Return of the Jedi rocks indeed!

Beast
02-14-2003, 04:27 PM
The figures in the packaging, are just current figures in the new packaging as a test of how it will look. Anakin: Secret Ceremony will still be on the basic Saga card.

We are getting Anakin: Pilot in the Clone Wars line though. Hopefully, if Anakin is wearing the Jedi Starfighter headband it's properly sculpted. :)

I just realized who Yoda is supposed to be, he's just missing one of his accessories. His giant sombrero must have been lost on the way to Toy Fair. It's Yoda: Frito Bandito. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-14-2003, 05:03 PM
This stuff is great!

That Yoda is trippy.:crazed: The clones are AWESOME! Same with the droids! I will be SO FRICKIN BROKE this fall, and ask for even more Clones, Droids and Jedi for birthday and Christmas! The Gunship is pretty neat, and so is the starting price. That Jedi Starfighter is great! Odd, but great! I like the color and the droid. The Geonosian fighter has a figure, which is cool. The AAT, I never got for EI, so I will get a few for both Geonosis and Naboo. The Hailfire Droid is amazing! 16 firing missiles??? Not movie accurate but pretty awesome! I can't wait to see the other stuff!

This line will be great after all . . .:happy: :)

rherk
02-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Oh boy. It all looks ridiculous! When I saw the new Vader a shimer of hope was in the air but now I've seen Yoda with a vest and Luke jedi doing some strange new dance and reality set in. Hasbro just doesn't understand. Oye.

Beast
02-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Rherk, the Yoda is EU. Nothing wrong with giving him a vest and a bandolier in the EU. He looks pretty cool to me. And the Luke: Jedi is Unleashed, not 4" figures. He's still not as goofy as ballarina Maul. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
02-14-2003, 05:29 PM
I didn't know what to say when I first saw the site. Some of it jumped out as "stupid!" right away, but I'm really liking the look of a lot of it.

I seem to be with everyone on the Clones and the Droids. I can't wait to pick up a few (if not more) of each.

The repaints...I don't know. The Gunship doesn't look all that great as I like the original paint better. And it's not like they could really improve on the ship itself (asided from adding the bubble turrents that everyone wants - but I actually like the little cannons better. They seem a bit more realistic, like gattling guns on a helicopter :p). The Starfighter: at first, I thought it looked like crap, but it's unique and it's growing on me. I'm more than likely going to get one. Though, one thing bothers me. The repaints just remind me so much of another toy line...where they would periodically re-release toys but just with different paint jobs. I just can't put my finger on it. Jurrassic Park, maybe? :confused:

You know, I really like the look of the Clone Wars packaging. I don't know what it is about it, but I just like it. But I know Jargo must be thrilled over seeing it. I know just how much he loves the red with white :p.

The other vehicles all look great. And this is very good as I missed my chance to get the tank the first time around. I'll have to get some, a few for my Episode 2 displays and a few for my Episode 1 displays.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Unleashed Luke. It looks okay, but I'll wait until I see it in person (if I ever see it in person. The only Unleashed to make it to my area have been Jango and Maul).

Overall, not too shabby. There's nothing here that's extremely exciting, but it's exciting enough to me. I'm still just a bit peeved that we didn't get the pic of the new Jedi Luke, though.

End...

Beast
02-14-2003, 05:41 PM
The cool thing about the Jedi Starfighter, is it's the one from the Deleted Scenes in the hanger. Check the ship on the right in the front. Funny how out of all the ships it's the one that isn't the same color. It's probably Mace's, the punk. First a purple lightsaber because he's to good for blue or green. And then a aqua-blue Jedi Starfighter. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
02-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The cool thing about the Jedi Starfighter, is it's the one from the Deleted Scenes in the hanger. Check the ship on the right in the front. Funny how out of all the ships it's the one that isn't the same color. It's probably Mace's, the punk. First a purple lightsaber because he's to good for blue or green. And then a aqua-blue Jedi Starfighter. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I had never noticed that when I watched the deleted scenes (I'll have to watch more closely with these things :D).
I wouldn't doubt that it's Mace's, but if he went with the purple lightsaber, why not a purple ship? I think that would actually look kinda cool.
Maybe they should release a bunch of different colors. Purple, Green, Yellow, Dark Blue, Black, Fuscia, Polka-Dot...okay, maybe not :p. Well, maybe the black one...

End...

Jargo
02-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Well. I'm disappointed that they tinkered with the geo fighter and added non movie stuff but I'll still buy two and leave the guns folded in. The jade starfighter looks kinda funky with the yellow astro drooid and we get a third one for anakin as well so i'll save comment on that for later but this green one with the black details looks really nice. The gunship is just blah. A blob of black paint and no figures is not going to get me to buy this again. Boring. Although i realise that this is just a mock up by the poor painting of the ship, masking out the red with black and white. I'll hold my firing squad until final pics show up or there's close up shots or whatever.
Hailfire droid is just awesome though, 16 firing missiles and those totally freakin' awesome wheels at the right angle and everything. just wicked looking. Definately a must have.
So what's changed with the trade fed AAT? Just a straight re-release with no paint alterations? It's a cool vehicle and i might buy a second one if it's cheap enough.
Yoda looks so cool I nearly wet myself. I really had low expectations for this but Yoda looks the bees knees in that commando get up. Seriously mean dude. Yeah I'm getting that one all right and the clonetrooper 3-pack looks wicked too, a sharp shooter and a sniper with a clone commander. Nicely done methinks. Have to get two or three of that set. Droid set looks okay, Destroyer is nice without the stupid gimmicks, and the other two are just good army fodder.

Packaging. I like this, it's got orange on it. Nuff said. Thanks Hasbro ;) No, really I do like it. It's very nicely done. Eyecatching.

Beast
02-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Agreed 100% with everything you said, Jargo. That doesn't happen everyday, somebody write this down. Surpising how well the Clone Wars line is looking so far. I remember the thread when we first heard about it. But so far, everything we've seen has been pretty good. Especially that Hailfire Droid. :cool: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
02-14-2003, 06:49 PM
The clonetroopers look very nice.

The Yoda looks stupid. Yoda, A Real American Hero!!! YOOOOOO DAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

The vehicles aren't bad, just kinda boring.

Unleashed Luke is craptacular. He looks like "3 strikes your out" Luke. Or like he is trying to beat a crocodile with an oar. Me no likey at all.

But I will probably get the clonetroopers.

jad
02-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Man I love this write up Hasbro did. You can almost sense a little excitement from them being able to show this off. And I kinda like that energy that they are giving off. This new stuff is really cool! I love the new packaging as well, it's a perfect mix of fresh with classic Kenner packaging elements. Well done Hasbro!

I love all the new vehicles, I even like the new deco's on the already released ships. This will be fun for kids as well I think.

I love the Geo Fighter and the Hailfighter droid, gotta get a ton of these for sure. Also I never got the Tank the first time it was released so i'm excited to get a second chance :)

I don't know if anyone remembers but about 4 months ago I started a thread that lasted for a couple pages about how the new line is really milking the clone wars and exciting action sequences from Episode II. I discussed how I really hoped Hasbro would use the opportunity to do something fun with the line. To me it sure looks like they have, and they are enjoying from the sounds of the write up :)

snakeplkn
02-14-2003, 07:01 PM
What I’m curious to know if Hasbro is going to suspend the Saga line temporarily with the Clone Wars exclusively shipping, end the Saga and just go with the Clone Wars, put Clone Wars and Saga together in the same assortment, or to ship independently like in the Episode I/COMMTech debacle.

What Works:
The Geonosian Fighter: as advertised
AAT: rare enough to warrant re-release
Hailfire Droid: all systems go, but are the missiles too bright?
Clone Trooper 3 pack: looks spectacular
Droid 3 pack: good show
Yoda: absolutely hilarious

What Doesn’t:
Republic Gunship: colour scheme is just awful
Jedi Starfighter: why did there HAVE to be a droid included, it ruins everything

Snake Plissken
“A little human compassion”

stillakid
02-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Unless I read wrong, no one has mentioned Dooku's ship. Do we get a fold out sail feature?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Whoa, an EU Yoda!

Beast
02-14-2003, 07:08 PM
Stillakid, they arn't doing Dooku's ship...atleast not yet. The Genosian Starfighter is probably what your mistaking for Dooku's ship, since they are similar. I do hope they do Dooku's Solar Sailor at some point though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
02-14-2003, 08:26 PM
I'm liing the clone wars stuff- keep it up Hasbro. Here's hoping the Animated Clone Wars series is still a go.

=MATT=

Hellboy
02-14-2003, 08:35 PM
I'll have to agree with the majority and say the Clonetrooper and Droid multi-packs are SWEET.

The Hailfire Droid and Geonosian Fighter look great.

I'm really not sure yet how I feel about another Jedi Starfighter and Republic Gunship being released so close to the first realeses with only new paint jobs and so-so ones at that. I would have liked to see some other vehicles first like the AT-TE or the SPHA-T.

The package design seems O.K. but I'll reserve my judgement for the final product since they mentioned it was a work in progress.

Yoda's Clone War look seems somewhat out of character but it might grow on me.

Unleashed Luke looks interesting but the lightsaber trail seems a little much.

Overall I'm impressed but not blown away. I really would have liked to see more new vehicles. Maybe we'll get them later in the line.

Adam
02-14-2003, 08:44 PM
So is the Jade Jedi Starfighter supposed to be Anakin's or are we getting two next year? If it's Anakin's I was thinking that maybe Padawan's starfighters are Jade and the Knights are Red..

That Yoda is cool in a strange way. I think I will get it. But he will be toting some Gi Joe Rifles when he gets home. :crazed:

The Clone trooper 3 pack is great. I think I will buy at least two.

I kinda like Luke unleashed, but probably wont get it since I haven't got the others.

I dont have an AAT so the new releases pleases me greatly.

Hailfire droid looks good.

Man.. I still need to get the current saga vehicles.. only have the Clone Trooper Speeder bike...

Beast
02-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Nope, the Jade Starfighter is not Anakin's. And we don't know what his ship looks like yet. For all we know, it may not be a Jedi Starfighter, since the name is different. Would be very cool if Anakin has a Z-95 Headhunter, would be a chance for us to get one as a toy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
02-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jar Jar I noticed in the picture you posted from the DVD the Starfighter droid has a silver dome while Hasbro's droid is yellow. Since the droids are hard-wired to the ship do you think that might mean this new Starfighter is possibly not one of a kind. It's probably just an oversight by Hasbro but who knows.

rherk
02-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Are those clone trooper articulated? They kinda look like they are permenant in those positions. Gosh, I hope not.

Banthaholic
02-14-2003, 09:50 PM
The Toy Fair pictures are quite a pleasant treat.
The clone war figures look awesome. For anyone still hesitating pic up the latest Darkhorse comic and ride the wave, should be interesting the next few months.

The clone troopers are exactly what we've been asking for. The screen sceen are of very much interesting having confirmed that we'll have at least 2 new figure per scene.

I eagerly await more Toy Fair announcements.

Darth Trymybestus
02-14-2003, 09:53 PM
I wonder what the Anakin Skywalker Pilot will look like, just in his Jedi robes with a headset on? :)
The clone wars line looks awesome, I thought they'd look a lot different and they'd be cartoony, the Clonetroopers are the best yet! :D

Beast
02-14-2003, 09:55 PM
The droid appears to be silver w/ yellow panals. The same as is on the new ship. It's really hard to see it in the shot from the picture, but it looks like there is yellow on it's dome. The intresting thing about the deleted scene, is it shows full sized Astromechs sitting next to the ships.

Check the droid sockets closely, they are empty. So the whole removable dome/head/brain, and transplant droid bodies thing may still have been under consideration at that point. I liked that idea better then the hard-wired one anyway. That the droid dome could detach and borrow a body at the destination. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
02-14-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the new 3-pack Clonetroopers and the droideka. Hopefully, the all-white and the yellow trooper are new sculpts instead of the red or preview Saga one. I'm tired of seeing the doo-doo-stepping troop who also has rats in his underwear.

The droideka is great! New head, old accurate body. A perfect combination.

Yoda. Hmmmmmmmmmmm! ...the Rambo midget. He's a Jedi master. No need for ammunition/utility belts. Unless he's "Servant Yoda", carrying the ammo for his troops. How considerate. :D

Unleashed Luke. No comment.
Except they could have made this Unleashed line the BEST line in Star Wars history if the figures stoodneutrally. But Noooooooooo, they have to be in ballerina dancing or baseball whacking poses. If they were just standing properly, Hasbro would have surpassed McFarlane Toys in terms of detail and quality. I for sure would have bought one of each if they all posed like the ONIMUSHA or METAL GEAR figs. That's why I think Epic Force was a thousand times better.

Yawn. Nothing special at all here.

187-Maul
02-15-2003, 09:52 AM
has anyone even noticed that the clonetrooper on the left (the right of Yoda) has his left foot in the air but the toes on the ground (don't exactly know how to explain it)? that means that a) he's a new sculpt (no simple repaint) and b) that you can't really put him in many different poses with a foot like that
but I still want that Clonetrooper 3-pack set:)

Jayspawn
02-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Here's my 2 cents...

The Clone sets look great! Finally we'll get a Clone Commander to lead our troops! The various Clones in positions look excellent. Great army building material!

The Droid set looks cool w/ a battle droid, SBD, and Destroyer Droid. I'll get a few of those so they may be trounced by the Clones.

I like the designs of the Gunship and Starfighter. Not all the Gunships and Fighters look exactly the same. I'll add some nice diversity to the vehicles. I like the Hailfire droid and Geonosian fighter. I'll definatly get those.

The new Darth Vader really looks cool, but he would have been better w/o the wild pose and action feature. I'm not wild about the Yoda. I'll get it anyways, because I like Yoda. I like the name JarJar gave him, "Frito Bandito Yoda" The Snowtrooper looks excellent, I'm really excited about him. The articulation looks great!

Kidhuman
02-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Man I just looked at the stuff and Ilike most of it. I like the new packaging think it catches the eye more than the blue. What is up with that Jedi Luke unleashed?. Should of kept it tied to the doghouse. The new figs. look pretty good. Looking foward to another year of collecting. Lets hope they don't add to much to them. Remember Hasbro, simplicity is best.

gibbspaulus
02-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, everyone's covered most points! Can i just say that the new packaging is wonderful. I do worry that it's not very toy-like but it IS very classy! The AAT box really shows it off well and I can't wait.

Jargo
02-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Over at my place Starfig dubbed Yoda 'Rabbi Yoda' And he has a point. or not. ;) The foot on the crouching clonetrooper should work wel for a marching clone if the legs are articulated at the knees. It doesn't matter much to me as the crouching position just looks so darn cool. I'll take that kind of variation ion all the troopers please hasbro, some standing and some is varied positions but the choice of two poses for each trooper is essential. Parade ground neutral or battle ground action. that's how they should distinguish them and do two lots of each figure. cater to differing needs and wants.

But I digress. I like how Yoda's floating command base has fold down panels for legs. I like Yoda's new look which is after all just cloakless and with a small bandolier. But considering how the little guy moved in the movie I see no reason why he can'yt take a proactive rile in skirmishes where it isn't necessary to use the saber for more than blast deflection. His small size makes him perfect as a saboteur placing explosive charges inside vehicles or in hard to reach places. The clonetroopers are good as marksmen and for blowing large things up but they aren't bred for nimbleness or deftness of touch. So i agree that Yoda is fine with a bandolier. Even if he does look like a rabbi.....

The destroyer droid isn't the same as the episode one or the recent saga one. It has the head from the saga one and the body of the episode one version but those arms are new and look to be one piece. The guns are facing at ninety degrees to the other versions. The battle droid is a red version of the boomer damage one and the super battle droid just looks like a straight re-release of the first issue minus the missile firing arm and body panel swap feature. I think the droid set is fantastic and I relly dig the clonetrooper set so much I'm setting aside a large wodge of cash for them.

The green starfighter I like the look of in principle but will it still have blast off wings, will it have removable droid head. Will it have less transluscent looking plastic parts? I'm going to buy it anyway because one starfighter alone is poo looking and a couple of them will force me to do something with them like a mini hangar. Maybe I'll even pick up a couple more red ones now that they're so cheap and people want to practically give them away.
Anakins starfighter doesn't sound like much fun to me. Sounds like an excuse to go batmancrazy on a vehicle and shove in stupid extraneous features. But that's a supposition.

The gunship won't pack with figures so what's the point of the repainted re-release? It isn't much of a repaint really. If they'd gone to town and really dirtied it up I might have been more interested. A couple of blast dents or a chunk missing from the wing. A damaged cargo bay door or a hole in the side. Something to really distinguish the two versions. And lots of carbon scoring marks and dirt. The paint job on the shuttle proves they can dirty something up a treat so go to town on this re-release.
Geonosian fighter seems okay but the swing out guns are a little bit sad. The pilot appears to be lying down with his feet shoved right down the cone of the top layer and the canopy seems hinged at the front. A simple but effective vehicle pretty much like the twin pod cloud car really. not terribly exciting but still worth adding to the collection. I just love the shape Hope at some point we get a technician from the geo hangar to go with this.
Hailfire droid looks as though it might have trouble tipping forwards or backwards despite possibly being weighted to stay upright. I like the missile firing stuff but the missiles could do with being less colorful. The actual sculpt on this vehicle is really well done, very sharp. Nicely finished too.
Trade federation tank needs dirtying too. It hardly seems like a battle machine to me with that clean and shiny finish. I have the original release and that bugs me, it being so clean. More battle damage smears and dirt please. Not just a blob of black spray but light mistings of greys and dark colors to give a murky blast spattered look.
Unleashed - unfinished more like. What a horrid thing that is. That's supposed to represent mark hamill is it? In whose nightmare? :rolleyes:

The packaging for the clone wars stuff is brilliant, I like it so much because it's fresh and has enough bright color to be attractive to kids while having a more adult feel to the way the graphics work. More mature and altogether classier looking and more to the point as I said before - ORANGE!!! lots of orange. lovely orange. :crazed:

Lewis
02-15-2003, 05:28 PM
I would like to see the Jedi Starfighter without the 'blast off wings' & hopefully it may, just may come with a Hyperdrive ring!! I'm glad to see that they've done away with the rocket launchers from the AAT...... Well it looks like it's been done away with!! Gimme them Clones!! :p

Old Fossil
02-15-2003, 05:41 PM
I like the Clone Troopers, but that's about it. So much of this stuff -- the Geonosian fighter, the Jedi starfighter, the AAT, the EU Yoda -- seems, well, "alien" to me (no pun intended, really!). I'll buy at least 1 of the new Vader and several of the new Snowtroopers, as well as at least 1 set of the Clone Troopers; but I can't see purchasing much else of this stuff. Just not very appealing to this 30ish Star Wars collector.:rolleyes:

I wonder if retailers are going to want to stock this much new Star Wars product, with so much of the Saga stock still on their shelves after nearly a year???

Prince Xizor
02-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Well, I am happy with Hasbro for the first time in a long time. I am really digging those 3-packs, both Clones and Droids, and I can't wait to see the Jedi pack. I like the Atomic Warfare Yoda, and the blue Jedi Starfighter. I also like the Droid Tank, as I do not have the origonal release, I plan to get this one.

But my favorite by far is the Hailfire Droid. It is just do damn cool, with all those missiles. I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait.