PDA

View Full Version : What movies have affected you emotionally?

James Boba Fettfield
02-15-2003, 12:09 AM
I'm not usually affected by movies emotionally. But there have been times where I actually had feelings evoked by a movie. Some examples include....

In the movie Pet Sematary, when Gage Creed was killed by the semi. For the longest time I didn't like seeing that at all. I just couldn't take seeing a kid die. I have a soft spot for them, alright.

Terminator 2 also gets to me. What part you ask? The part when T-800 decides that he must be terminated to prevent the future war. I don't know why, but that scene is the closest I have ever come to actually shedding a tear over a scene in a movie.

That's all I got. I'm sure there's others of you out there who have been affected emotionally by a movie, whether you cried or whatever. So, yeah, that's my story.

2-1B
02-15-2003, 12:29 AM
I cried during 'My Life' and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :crazed:

QLD
02-15-2003, 01:32 AM
I get emotional a lot during movies, because I am such a sensitive guy ;)

Here are some:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Green Mile
Cool Runnings
Major League
Shawshank Redemption

12inch Lando
02-15-2003, 05:20 AM
Braveheart
The Green Mile
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Fulit
02-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Um, ok, I admit it, in Fellowship of the Ring, I get that hair-raised on your arm, choked up feeling, when they come out of Moria and Gandalf is gone, and the music is all slow and everyone's crying.:cry: Poor Gandalf. Poor little hobbits.:cry:

scruffziller
02-15-2003, 12:58 PM
I get emotional everytime I watch the part in the first Back To The Future where Marty watches himself in the parking lot enter the time warp with the DeLorean. It has been the closest thing to actual timetravel I have ever got. I get goosebumps from watching it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Hm, some of the same movies from others, so sorry if i repeat them:

Green Mile
American Beauty
LOTR: FOTR (Sorry, when Sam and Frodo hug and cry at the end, and when Gandalf falls and that cursed music, even when i listen to the score, i still get chills)
Braveheart
Shawshank Redemption

That's all i'll admit! ehehehe :D

JediTricks
02-16-2003, 09:12 PM
The Muppet Movie always gets me.

Prince Xizor
02-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Yeah, the end of Shawshank always gets me.

stillakid
02-17-2003, 01:27 AM
Mr. Holland's Opus, when Dryfus enters the packed auditorium at the end. I can't help but well up everytime.

Scarface, when it becomes clear just how well he's managed to ruin his sister's life.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (no I'm not kidding). This was actually the first time I witnessed just how much a movie could affect people. Girls started streaming out of the theater in droves when attacks became relentless. Dumb movie, but powerfully effective.

Batman and Robin. I had physical pain trying to remain seated.

The Phantom Menace. Emotional distress as I realized it wasn't getting any better.

Attack of the Clones. Profound sadness as I realized it really wasn't just me being too critical.

2-1B
02-17-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Attack of the Clones. Profound sadness as I realized it really wasn't just me being too critical.

:cry:
But you said (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=85650#post85650) it was pretty awesome on the whole and that its problems weren't enough to make it a bad movie by any means.

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Exhaust Port
02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
touchee'

The Overlord Returns
02-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Wow.......stillakid....proven fraudulent on his staunch hate of AOTC.....

I think THIS moment is going to get me all emotional.... ;)

Anyhow......."The Elephant Man" is the only film to ever make me cry.......

QLD
02-17-2003, 10:48 AM
I dunno about stillakid, but my anger towards AOTC grows daily. :)

Kidhuman
02-17-2003, 12:14 PM
I would have to say I Am Sam got me. Brought a tear to my eye. I still say he should of get best actor for that.

stillakid
02-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
But you said (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=85650#post85650) it was pretty awesome on the whole and that its problems weren't enough to make it a bad movie by any means.

Yes, but you ignored the way I led that post:

Just woke up. Midnite show and all...

Anyway, I need some more time to let it all sink in plus another viewing or so, but my initial impressions are...

Note the key words and phrases...just woke up...need some more time....let it sink in....initial impressions....

Like many people, I was initially "fooled" by the thick glops of candy coating which obscured the relative lack of overall substance. In some cinematic instances, I'm willing to let that go for the vicarious rollercoaster ride thrill (Rollerball, Independence Day, etc). But because I have more respect for the Star Wars concept I enjoy dwelling on the details of the story for better or worse.

Touche' my butt. :rolleyes:

AT-AT Man
02-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Deep Impact(when Tea Leoni and her dad get killed by the giant wave)

Armagedon(the end when Harry blows up the asteroid)

Homeward Bound(when shadow falls down and tehy leave him, and then you see him at the very end limping towards the boy)

Pendo
02-17-2003, 05:02 PM
LOTR where Frodo decides to take the Ring.
LOTR where Gandalf dies :cry:
LOTR where Boromir dies :cry:
ROTJ where Luke throws down his weapon and decides that he will not take the same path as his father "You have failed you highness, I am a Jedi like my father before me" :)

PENDO!

dr_evazan22
02-17-2003, 06:58 PM
I'll ditto Pendo's ROTJ, and Boromir dying in LOTR.

I'll also add when Sam tries to swim out to Frodo at the end.

ESB- Leia: "I love you!"
Han: "I know."

The Sixth Sense

Field Of Dreams

JFK

Mike Troxell
02-17-2003, 07:44 PM
A bunch...

E.T. The Extraterrestrial--both times the bikes take off and the farewell
Return of the Jedi--The Special Edition Version of the final celebration
The Royal Tenenbaums, although probably because I watched it the day I found out my best friend had almost succeeded in killing himself without knowing there was a bloody suicide attempt in it...grrrrrrr.
About a Boy gets me choked up during the talent show at the end
Chasing Amy, always
Full Metal Jacket when Pvt. Gomer Pyle gets brutally beaten by his bunkmates with soap in towels.

All I can think of now, though rest assured there are a bunch more.

Tonysmo
02-18-2003, 03:24 AM
emotional as in sniff sniff? I can only think of one..

The Breakfast Club.

It came out while I was in High school, dealing with every single issue in the movie, to me it was perfect timing. I felt as if I was living a part of the movie. It held alot of meaning to me for a very long time. It is no longer my favorite movie, but close to it, as I can still recite every single line. Thats pretty much the only emotional flick I can think of..

As far being touched by a movie.. I'd have to say a beautiful mind was very touching.. My wife had me pick it up, and my thoughts were all about "chick flick". I had no idea that movie would be as good as it was..

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2003, 03:40 AM
Emotional as in whatever. Maybe the movie made you very angry or whatever. Just describe a movie that made an emotion get really blown up. Like yelling profanity or crying...you know

Tonysmo
02-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Tom Greens Freddy got fingered.. I was emotionally disturbed.. I shut it off within ten minutes.. then I went to scrub the dirty out of my eyes..

Pendo
02-18-2003, 06:56 AM
Here's some more:

LOTR:TTT where Sam is talking to Frodo about heros in stories and why they never give up.
TPM when Anakin says goodbye to his mother.
AOTC at Shmi's funeral.
Rocky when Apolo knocks Rocky down in the 14th round and Mickey is telling Rocky that he has lost and to stay down, but Rocky won't give up and struggles to his feet.

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
02-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Gladiator. When it came out, my roommate/best friend had just graduated and was moving to California, so I'd see him once or twice a year instead of once or twice an hour. At the end of the film, they are playing that beautifully haunting score and Djimon Hounsou buries the little figurines and says "I will see you again. But not yet. Not yet." Man. :( That hit me hard. :cry: We still use that line when we visit each other and get a little choked up.
Band of Brothers. "Grandpa? Were you a hero in the war?" "No, but I served in a company of heroes." I cannot think of more calculating way to elicit pride and tears than that ending. Thank you all these years later for the sacrifice, men of WWII.:cry:
Dances with Wolves. When they shot the horse. When they shot the WOLF.:eek: :cry:
The Insider. As a father, watching him watch his children watch TV as he is vindicated really struck home with me. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking that being seen as a failure by your children.
The Sweet Hereafter. Again, as a father, watching him tell the story of being faced with the choice to cut open his daughter's windpipe. Chills.
The Longest Day The paratrooper misdrop on St. Mere Eglise. Watching that when I was younger really affected me. That's tough to contemplate.

And...whenever I watch movies by myself and I'm in a reflective mood, I get emotional at a film I would otherwise disregard. that's happened more times than I can count.

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 04:10 AM
Scarface, when it becomes clear just how well he's managed to ruin his sister's life.

I remember watching the old Beta copy we had of that movie when I was a kid. I was under 4 for sure when I saw the movie, because I wasn't in school yet when I first saw that movie with my dad. I always thought it was bad that he killed Manny and then he ended up dying in the end. I thought Tony was a good guy at that age and at the time I didn't like seeing the hero die.

Pendo
02-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Here's some more movie moments that have played with my emotions:

Spider-Man when Ben Parker dies and Peter goes after his killer, realising that it was the man he let get away.
LOTR:TTT when the Elfs come to Helm's Deep to help fight.
American Pie 2 (yes AP2 :eek: ) when Jim ditches Nadia to be with Michelle.
Independence Day when Russell Casse takes his own life for everybody elses.

Probably more later :).

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
02-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Actually, the final 20 minute "requiem" of Requiem For a Dream delivered a massive lump in my throat......especially ellen burstyn's scenes...:cry:

Eternal Padawan
02-20-2003, 08:34 AM
Cider House Rules When Homer leaves. When Homer comes home.

Willow Willow's return home and reunion with Kaya and his children.

Gallipoli The end is forever burned into my mind from watching it when I was 10 years old.

For Love of the Game When the kid hands the owner the baseball.

Good Will Hunting When Ben Affleck knocks on the door and noone answers, he gets a bittersweet smile on his face. Losing your best friend for a good reason is tough. :(

Searching for Bobby Fischer Fishburne yelling "There it is!" makes my heart race every time!

Darth Sidious
02-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I never get sad at movies, but 2 of them really ****** me off: Unfaithful and American Beauty. Unfaithful because it is so sick when there is cheating in any married couple, after they took vows to be faithful to each other forever, etc. and American Beauty because everyone's lives are so screwed up, and the whole 45 year old and 18 year old wanting each other deal is just...gross.

Kidhuman
02-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Other than movies getting me, one TV show that always can get me is ER. I remember one time when an old lady was holding her husbands hand as he was dying(after 50+ years of marriage), they started playing Greenday's "Time of Your Life". I broke out in tears. That show has a knack for getting me.

2-1B
02-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Other than movies getting me, one TV show that always can get me is ER. I remember one time when an old lady was holding her husbands hand as he was dying(after 50+ years of marriage), they started playing Greenday's "Time of Your Life". I broke out in tears. That show has a knack for getting me.

Hey ! I remember an episode maybe 5 or 6 years ago in which one of the staff (I think it was the character with HIV - Jeannie? not sure on that . . . )

Anyway, a girl sang that song by Green Day but I don't recall if it dealt with an older couple. Also, maybe you mean they literally played Green Day's version. Either way, I remember a girl singing it on ER and it was pretty touching. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2003, 02:22 AM
I will clear up the Green Day situation. Dr. Anspaugh's son died, and his son liked that Green Day song. At his funeral, the HIV infected nurse (who was a close friend of the boy and took care of him in his final days) sang the song Time Of Your Life in his memory. As for the song being played, I think (not entirely sure) the actual song by Green Day was played while they showed what kidhuman was talking about with the person dying. Kind of like when they played Clocks by Coldplay on a recent episode and such.

2-1B
02-23-2003, 02:54 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, Jaymz. :)

Speaking of that GD song, they played it at the end of the Seinfeld pre-finale clip show and it always gets me because I loved that show. :happy:

tagmac
02-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Air Force One: Anger...I couldn't believe the Secret Service were such poor shots....ever heard of aiming for the head. I'd really love to see a movie where the plane lands, and the US Army storms the plane taking them all out.

Behind Enemy Lines: Satisfaction...When the Army attacks at the end. Having come so soon after 9/11, I just had this feeling of vengeance and justice, as the US kicked butt!

Daredevil: Sadness...When Elektra seemingly dies, and Matt Murdoch loses the one woman he ever loved. Felt a little better when he finds the braile necklace, the sign that she WAS still alive.

Also felt disgust everytime Bullseye was onscreen - not cuz of his actions, but because I can't stand Colin Farrell and his "look at me, I can have any woman I want, then move on to the next one" attitude.

Mike Troxell
02-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Hmmmm...I really like Colin Farrel, however I haven't seen DD yet. He was the best part of Minority Report and proved he could carry a big movie well with The Recruit. But that's just me.

tagmac
02-27-2003, 10:59 PM
The character of Bullseye was just fine.....I just can't stand Farrell as a person.

Jayspawn
02-28-2003, 02:08 AM
Here's a few that get me...

Armageddon At the end when Bruce gives his life for Affleck's so he can marry Live Tyler. Bruce says "I always thought of you as a son." and Affleck yells "I love you!" Everytime!

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring Right after Gandalf falls into Moria and the sounds fade to the music.

Shindler's List I'm an emotional wreck through most of the movie but the end when the Jews give Shindler the gold ring and he's wishing that he could have saved more.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan When Kirk runs down to enguinering to find Spock dying. The scene with those 2 between the glass was great. "I have been and always shall be, your friend."

Les Miserables The end when Geoffrey Rush kills himself setting Liam Neeson free.

The Godfather part III When the Corleone family is leaving the opera and the Assasin misses Michael and hits Mary. She looks down then looks to Michael, "Daddy?"

Air Force One The Very End when Harrison Ford is finally rescued by being pulled into the other plane. Great musical score. Gets me every time.

Star Wars: A New Hope 2 parts. 1st, when Vader strikes down Obi-Wan Kenobi. That part gets me because I can see the character Ewan McGregor in Alec Guiness. 2nd, just after Luke destroys the Death Star and Han says "Great shot kid that was one in a million!"

Eternal Padawan
02-28-2003, 09:44 AM
I have to concur with Jayspawn's assessments of Armageddon, Schindler's List, and Star Trek II. Those get me evey time, too. Especially when Kirk's voice cracks during the funeral. ''Of all the people I have met...he was the most...human."

The Muppet Movie When Kermit sings Rainbow Connection at the beginning.

AndyW
03-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Jayspawn

Armageddon At the end when Bruce gives his life for Affleck's so he can marry Live Tyler. Bruce says "I always thought of you as a son." and Affleck yells "I love you!" Everytime!

LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring Right after Gandalf falls into Moria and the sounds fade to the music.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan When Kirk runs down to enguinering to find Spock dying. The scene with those 2 between the glass was great. "I have been and always shall be, your friend."

Star Wars: A New Hope 2 parts. 1st, when Vader strikes down Obi-Wan Kenobi. That part gets me because I can see the character Ewan McGregor in Alec Guiness. 2nd, just after Luke destroys the Death Star and Han says "Great shot kid that was one in a million!" [/B]

Agree with all those, especially the bit about Obi Wan, I hadn't watched a New hope in a year or so and when I watched it recently I felt a pang of sadness when he became one with the force, its one of the good things to come out of all this prequel stuff is his character, and how we've got to learn so much about him, something I'm truely thankfull to Lucas for. Anyway, I'll add mine.

Jerry Maguire At the end, when Tom is in the living room, with Renee on the other side and the two of them are separated by the womens meeting, he says "You complete me" at the end of his big speech and she just says "You had me at hello". Gets me everytime.

Antwone Fisher Have any of you seen it, just about to be released here in the UK, seen it twice on preview showings and I just love it, so many ups and downs in the film, I've told all my friends, if you don't cry in this you are emotionally dead.

God, theres so many more, ET, various other star wars moments, Amelie, moments in band of brothers, Monsters Inc, yes, Monsters Inc, I am sam and so so so so so so many more, that wouldn't fit in here :D

Fulit
03-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Does it count that I cried when I just heard that Garfield is being made into a movie.

Eternal Padawan
03-02-2003, 10:49 AM
When I saw the trailers for Saving Private Ryan and Man in The Moon. Those really affected me.

stillakid
03-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
When I saw the trailers for Saving Private Ryan and Man in The Moon. Those really affected me.

That hand to hand fight near the end (the one where the German slowly pushes the blade into the American while saying "Shh, shh") left me certifiably shell-shocked for a couple weeks. Very powerful moment that I think summed up the horror of war better than any of the big action sequences ever could.

Sith Lord 0498
03-02-2003, 02:49 PM
American Pie 2 - The whole idea of such close friends trying to make that summer memorable for the rest of their lives. I feel a combination of regret that I never did anything like that (I'm in my final months of college now) and fondness because it makes me think about all the close friends I had and still have. It gets to me even more when I listen to Eve 6's song "Here's to the Night" right afterward.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

The scene where Anakin confesses his sins to Padme in the garage. The combination of the Emperor's theme and Padme's stunned face is the perfect chilling combination.

Shmi's funeral and Anakin's words at her grave. Just knowing the implication they will have in the future is chilling.

The deployment of the Republic clone army at the end of the film is probably the most emotional part of the film. All I have to do is watch the ships take off and think "This is it--the birth of the Empire", and I'll get goosebumps. The reorchestrated version of the Imperial March makes it all the more effective.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - The scene where Luke cremates Vader's armor and the ghostly appearance of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda are the most powerful images in possibly the whole saga because it brings the story of Anakin Skywalker to such a dramatic close.

Chasing Amy - The whole final third of the movie is utterly depressing as you watch Holden lose Alyssa more and more until the very depressing but very life-like, non-Hollywood ending.

Before Sunrise - The ending of the film where Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy's characters have to go their separate ways got me the first and (unfortunately) only time I ever saw it. For a scene that I saw six years ago, it still stirs some sentimental, longing emotions in me when I remember it.

Jacob's Ladder - Aside from being creeped out of my skin for nearly the whole movie, the ending really hits me hard. Watching Jacob being led up to heaven by his son is one of the most poignant moments I've seen in any film. Just the way the whole scene plays out is both moving and full of hope in the face of death.

Robocop - I still get saddened when Robocop returns to the home he lived in as Alex Murphy. Thinking about what he's been put through and what has been stripped away from him is upsetting.

InsaneJediGirl
03-08-2003, 08:42 PM
LOTR:FOTR-When Gandalf dies,the music is on a sad tone and Frodo is yelling "Gandalf".Another emotional moment would be when Sam chases after Frodo in the water,to get on the boat with him even though Sam couldnt swim.

ROTJ-When Luke is cremating Vaders armor,its a extremely touching moment.

ESB-When Leia tells Han she loves him.I remember when I saw the movie for the first time,I never thought they would meet up again.

One Hour Photo-Sad and Scary at the same time.All he ever wanted was the be apart of that family..

ER also gets me,when Dr.Green died and they played a verison of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" at the end of the show.

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2003, 09:28 PM
No one else felt a little teary eyed when the T-800 told John he now knew why he cried, and then he has them kill him at the end of T2? I'm serious when I say that is the most emotional a movie has ever made me, and the fact that I still get a little teary everytime I see it still. Arnold is the man. I'm just hoping T3 doesn't ruin that sacrifice of the T-800 at the end of the film.

Pendo
03-09-2003, 06:38 AM
Indiana Jones and the Last Cruscade when Indy leaves the Holy Grail.

Spider-Man "I have a father, his name is Ben Parker!"

Toy Story where Buzz doesn't want to go back to Andy, and Woody tells him why he should. Also when Buzz and Woody are on the rocket and begin to fly "This isn't flying, it's falling with style".

The Matrix where Morpheus risks his life for Neo. And again when Neo goes back for Morpheus.

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
03-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home At the end of the movie, when the crew is getting reassigned to a "new" ship and the shuttle climbs over the Excelsior to reveal the new Enterprise A. Cool.

Transformers:The Movie Optimus Prime dies. Not so much anymore, but when I first saw it. Whoo, look out...

Needles
03-10-2003, 05:28 PM
I havent posted in a while,about 8 months I think?Oh well.
The most emotional movie Ive ever seen was
American History X-The Neo-Nazi turns good gets his brother to turn good,then his brother is shot and killed in the High School bathroom-I almost cried,touching.:cry:
EP1-I cried when Qui-Gon died,I was embarrassed,The cremation was emotional
EP4 and 6-need I explain
Armeggedon-Harry sacrificed himself
Pay it Foward
Mad City-dont ask
The Patriot-2 of his sons died
thats all I can think of right now

El Chuxter
03-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Ditto on The Transformers, Rollo. Name one boy who was around our age who didn't shed tears when Optimus dies, and I'll point out a boy who either has no heart or lived in a cave and knew not Optimus Prime.

ROTJ: "Tell your sister. . . you were right."

AOTC: The death of Shmi Skywalker. I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but that was an incredibly powerful scene. In fact, that bit through Artoo's message from Obi-Wan are emotionally captivating.

ET: The death and return of ET.

Schindler's List: Okay, I was kidding (sort of) about Optimus, but if anyone watched this movie without reacting, I have serious doubts about their humanity.

Bambi: Come on, don't lie. You bawled too when his mommy died.

LOTR:FOTR: The death of Gandalf (even if I already knew it wasn't permanent).

Dead Man Walking
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
T2 (yes, BJF, someone agrees with you! :D)

Darth Trymybestus
03-12-2003, 06:42 AM
It has to be in Black Hawk Down when Randy Shughart calls his wife and he tells her that he loves her & that he'll call her in a couple of hours.
It's very poignant considering the fact that he dies later that day while trying to rescue the crew of a crashed Black Hawk Helicopter & wins the Congressional Medal of Honor for his bravery.
It's just sad knowing that he nevers gets to call his wife again.

Eternal Padawan
03-12-2003, 08:18 AM
If you thought the movie was powerful, read the book Black Hawk Down. Ohmigod, I read half that book with a lump in my throat and eyes glistening.

Sorry. Never cried for Bambi's mom. ( I don't think)

I have to agree with El "Ursa major" Chuxter on Schindler's List when he breaks down in the headlights of his car at the end. and Lord of the Rings when Gandalf "dies". Poor little Hobbits. :(

Field of Dreams "Hey..Dad? You want to have a catch?":cry: As I've said before, I loathe baseball, but I looooove baseball movies.

Courage under Fire When Denzel confesses to his friend's parents. And then at the medal ceremony at the end.

The Neverending Story Tons of them in this one. When the horse sinks into the bog was just the first one. The big rock dude lamenting about his "big strong hands". Too bad about the sucky sequels.

Kidhuman
03-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

Bambi: Come on, don't lie. You bawled too when his mommy died.

Did you cry at Old Yeller? I was 5 when I saw it and cried. But not Bambi, didn't realize it till I was o;der that his mom died.

El Chuxter
03-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Did you cry at Old Yeller? I was 5 when I saw it and cried. But not Bambi, didn't realize it till I was o;der that his mom died.

I know I'll get some flak for this, but I never saw Old Yeller. I did read the book, though, and cried when they had to put him down. :cry:

JEDIpartner
03-14-2003, 11:59 AM
The Color Purple

I shouldn't need to explain myself on this one.

SQueek
03-14-2003, 01:08 PM
well the movie Fight Club has affected me more mentally then any other movie i have ever seen, so i guess it should go here.

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 01:11 PM
I always get giddy when the lead sister is beaten like the worthless piece of **** he is in The Shawshank Redemption.

Eternal Padawan
03-14-2003, 04:40 PM
I think Old Yeller might have affected me some how, but I think when I first saw it I was more confused than anything else. I didn't know what the heck rabies were, so I didn't understand why they would kill their own dog.

The Abyss When Lindsay drowns and they have to resuscitate her. Especially when Bud starts slapping her lifeless corpse. Powerful stuff. I bet you could here a pin drop in the theatre when that first came out.

Fox and the Hound This one made me sad when I was little since Tod doesn't get to go home at the end.

Don't laugh...Pokemon: the 1st Movie When Ash 'dies' and Pikachu doesn't understand whats wrong with him, so he keeps trying to shock him awake. I was suprised at that level of emotional content in a movie I had previously scoffed at.

UKWildcat
03-04-2007, 05:12 PM
-Armageddon - Several scenes: At the end when Harry tells Grace that he is going to have to break the promise he made to her. When Chick drops off the toy spaceship to his son; then, later, the mom tells her son that it wasn't a salesman, but his father.
-Braveheart
-The Notebook
-Flight 93
-Crash
-Castaway
-Glory
-Leon: The Professional
-The Last of the Mohicans
-Saving Private Ryan
-Christmas Vacation - (Clark watching home movies in the attic.)

2-1B
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Moulin Rouge gets me, I still love that movie. :)

Over the Top when they play Kenny Loggins' "Meet Me Halfway." lol

General_Grievous
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
-Christmas Vacation - (Clark watching home movies in the attic.)

Seriously? Wasn't that the part where he fell through the ceiling?? lol

The last movie I remember getting emotional at was Return of the King, when Frodo left on the boat at the end.

Also when I was a little kid I cried during "Homeward Bound" (the movie where the two dogs and the cat get lost in the wild). In one scene, one of the dogs falls down a hole and he can't get up. And he was an old dog, so it looked like he was done for. I wailed my head off at that scene.

jjreason
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned Crash yet. Watching that movie is like getting buried in an emotion avalanche.

General_Grievous
03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I saw Crash, but I didn't get overly emotional. The part where the storeowner went to the locksmith's house was pretty intense, though.

UKWildcat
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Seriously? Wasn't that the part where he fell through the ceiling?? lol

Yup. lol
But the part leading up to that.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Crash yet.

Uh um

-Crash

;)

Yea, the ending of LOTR: Return of the King is rather emotional.

JediTricks
03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Yea, the ending of LOTR: Return of the King is rather emotional.Which one? It's got 3 false endings. :p

UKWildcat
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Which one? It's got 3 false endings. :p

When they leave on the boat. :D

2-1B
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
The end of Zombi really gets to me with the undead marching on New York. :(

UKWildcat
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
That is a powerful and yet oddly beautiful scene, C-dog. :yes:

JimJamBonds
03-04-2007, 11:32 PM
The first time I saw the love scene in Team America: World Police it burnt itself into my mental hard drive that I just can't seem to erase.

plasticfetish
03-05-2007, 12:32 AM
The end of Zombi really gets to me with the undead marching on New York. :(You mean Zombi 2? That scene where the zombie fights a shark always gets me.

Slicker
03-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Schindler's List - The little girl in the red dress on the cart. I cry...
The Notebook - At the end when him and his wife are dancing and she comes out of her "normalcy" and back to her dementia. That's just sad.
What Dreams May Come - When he goes to hell. That whole part is creepy and sad.
Saving Private Ryan - When they're trying to "fix" Wade after he gets shot. Just him knowing which parts of his body are failing and his final calls of wanting to go home and "momma".

jjreason
03-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Yup. lol
But the part leading up to that.

Uh um

;)

Yea, the ending of LOTR: Return of the King is rather emotional.

My bad - I guess it was far too long a thread for that flick not to have been mentioned. :D

UKWildcat
03-05-2007, 01:31 AM
No worries. :)

plasticfetish
03-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Saving Private RyanOh god. "James... earn this. Earn it." Seriously, that movie is bad news. And then there's that bit at the end... :cry:

UKWildcat
03-05-2007, 01:58 AM
For war movies in general: Whenever a young man gets shot or wounded during battle and while he is laying on the ground, quite possibly dying, he cries out for his mother... I always find that to be very emotional. :cry:

DarkArtist
03-05-2007, 01:27 PM
these movies always make me emotional in some way or another:

50 First Dates - very cute movie but it makes me tear up everytime Drew Barrymore's character has to learn that she was in an accident

Mr. Destiny - this is one of the few movies that shows how much one person's life affects another- true it's almost like a modern remake version of it's a Wondeful Life but still makes me sad

It's a Wonderful Life - the end scene with George Bailey crying at the bridge asking for his life back.

Superman - just a feel good film of good over evil. the scene with Superman flying into the heavens to turn back time is great

The Star Wars Saga - These films were always a release from a stressful day and thought me that if you could dream it you can make it happen

What Dreams May Come - love this flick and proves that Love knows no limits.

UKWildcat
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
50 First Dates - very cute movie but it makes me tear up everytime Drew Barrymore's character has to learn that she was in an accident

Especially at the end of the movie when they are on the boat and she has children. Great stuff, good movie. :(

Jargo
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Soldier blue. The attack on the native american village is just horrific.
The killing fields poignant and jarring reminder of how wrong war is.
Heimat, a german family saga that lasts about a million hours and goes through several decades. I couldn't watch it now but back in the 1980's it had a profound affect on me.
The animated version of Charlottes web made me howl with tears and grief when charlotte died. I was only eight though.
The third man, film noir at it's best i think. Plus that zither music is really captivating and haunting at the same time.
Star wars ep4. huge huge impact upon my imagination and creativity. responsible for all my artistic skills. such as they are.
When the wind blows the animated version of Raymond briggs' book. back in the 1980's when nuclear war seemed like a real future it was a harsh movie and hard to watch. especially after a tv movie made in the UK called threads dramatised the after effects of a nuclear blast in mainland britain. quite disturbing, chilling and still gives me nightmares.
Disney's the fox and the hound was another one I saw as a kid that made me cry. It was darker than most disney movies and seemed to have more thought provoking material. really made me question my place in this world and loyalties to those around me. And their loyalties to me.
Silent running. Now considered a bit long and plodding and naive but when I first saw it, it was the first movie that asked me to think about world ecology and conservation. And that one man made that huge decision and saved the remnants of the planet leaving just the one droid to tend to the plants. really moving and frightening.
Soylent green is people! another chilling movie.
Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into the Future. Cool, prophetic and made me look at the media in a new light.
And the band played on. AIDS movie. Richard gere. moving at the time
Patient Zero. AIDS movie Odd and informative if you can can unscramble the basic premise from the confusing array of symbolism.
Longtime companion. Another AIDS movie with a horrible sacharin sweet finale but not a bad movie until that point.
Pretty in pink/The breakfast club/desperately seeking susan. three movies that sparked a rebellious streak in me. Or rather empowered me to become someone with a less uptight self image.
Koyaanisquatsi (sp?) which is long and goes nowhere but the cinematography and the minimalist music make it the perfect movie to watch and just let your mind wander. timelapse, slo-mo, endless shots. cinematic wallpaper for the mind.
Diva. French. amazingly brief for a french movie. tres cool. started me off on a lifelong quest to write a decent movie screenplay. I'm still plodding along with that. Maybe before I die I'll write something I'm happy with.

2-1B
03-05-2007, 09:10 PM
You mean Zombi 2? That scene where the zombie fights a shark always gets me.

Yeah, but I don't bother with the numbering because I don't recognize Dawn as Zombi and I refuse to recognize 3, 4, and 5 all together. :D

When the conquistador zombie comes up out of his shallow grave with the thumping music, that gets to me as well. Also, seeing the WTC in the NYC shots. :(

Yeah, that zombie vs. shark battle is very poignant, PF. :crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
"Emotionally" meaning cried: :cry:
Mr. Holland's Opus: I saw it the day after a close friend's mother's funeral, but I can't recall a specific scene that got to me.
Big Fish: that was a bad time, all around for me; but there were a few times I was a waterworks.
Field of Dreams: ditto, as said above.

"Emotionally" meaning mad: :mad:
Freedom Writers: as a teacher, hearing some of the "expert" teachers' comments was frustrating.
As Good as It Gets: I found it just too close to home to find "funny."
Folks see previous comment.
Hanging Up: see previous previous comment.

"Emotionally" meaning disgusted :upset:
CB-4: worst movie I've ever seen, stupid and poorly created.
Syriana: I hate seeing reality on the big screen, especially when it's so depressing and disheartening.

JimJamBonds
03-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Saving Private Ryan - When they're trying to "fix" Wade after he gets shot. Just him knowing which parts of his body are failing and his final calls of wanting to go home and "momma".

The part that gets me is at the end when it jumps to the old Private Ryan and he salutes Captain Miller's tombstone and then it shows the American flag. That ALWAYS gets me.

JON9000
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird- when Atticus walks out of the courtroom and the entire gallery stands quietly while he passes.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
The part that gets me is at the end when it jumps to the old Private Ryan and he salutes Captain Miller's tombstone and then it shows the American flag. That ALWAYS gets me.I agree on that entirely. Some of the scenes in Schindler's List do that, too.

UKWildcat
03-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't know how in the world I left out this title: Oldboy

Blue2th
03-08-2007, 12:03 AM
When I saw Star Wars IV "A New Hope" back in 1977 as a kid, it effected me in a very profound way. Never saw anything like it before. Other than that film, "Saving Private Ryan" effected me emotionally. The sadest part was when the Army staff car pulls up to the Ryan's farmhouse to deliver the bad news, and the mother's legs give out, because she knows what they are going to say. The whole movie was a roller-coaster ride of emotions.

preacher
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Sweet November
Schindler's List
Leaving Las Vegas
Return of the King

RooJay
03-28-2007, 01:50 AM
Saving Private Ryan - precisely when we get to the end and the aged Ryan is standing in Arlington with tears in his eyes and turns to ask his wife to tel him he's been a "good man" and that the sacrifices made to find him and bring him home were worth it. Literally reduces me to a blubbering mess every time. Afterall, don't we all just hope that in the end our own lives will have been worth it? Excuse me for a moment...just need some tissue...

Also, It's a wonderful life makes me tear up every single time I hear the line, "To my brother George, the richest man in Bedford Falls!" Niagra Falls, Frankie Angel...

JimJamBonds
04-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I mentioned this in the Flags of Our Fathers thread but it applies to this thread as well. At the end of the movie and the credits started to roll a few people got up to leave and then they started showing pictures from the actual battle of Iwo Jima. It was a packed theater and it was dead quite and not a single person left before the credits COMPLETLY ended. It was a very moving end to the movie and an experience that I'd never had before.

RooJay
04-03-2007, 01:57 AM
Actually, I was still working in the theater business when Saving Private Ryan came out and I remember for about the first month of it's run we had a lot of WWII veterans coming to see it. It was very touching to see all these old men - many of them wearing objects commemorating their service and various medals earned in the line of duty - weeping quietly at the end of the film as the credits rolled and the lights came up. It was a very touching experience. It made me feel very proud and grateful (to them) to be alive in the country these men all fought for and helped build.

Rocketboy
04-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I remember hearing about WWII vets getting up and leaving Saving Private Ryan pretty early in the movie because they couldn't take it; it was too real for them.

C5Jedi
04-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Dawn of the Dead - those zombies were so misunderstood for just wanting to eat some brains/flesh. :cry:

RooJay
04-04-2007, 01:36 AM
I remember hearing about WWII vets getting up and leaving Saving Private Ryan pretty early in the movie because they couldn't take it; it was too real for them.

Yes, I recall plenty of that as well.