PDA

View Full Version : MOTU: New 2003 Figures At Toy Fair

Beast
02-15-2003, 01:51 AM
We had a couple threads about what was coming up. But with the Toy Fair showing all the figures that were showing up on the retailer lists, I figured a new thread would be best. All of the figures that were rumored from the retailer lists, have been confirmed as real. Figures.com got an early look.

They all look pretty good, though the line is loosing me a bit. While I love the new figures, I'm getting sick to death of He-Man, Skeletor, and even Man-At-Arms in ways. Not to mention the chase figures, and variant paint jobs. Evil Lyn, Roboto, Whiplash, Zodac, Too Bad, Buzz-Off, and Man-E-Faces look good though. Enjoy!

http://207.44.182.109/photo/1/showgallery.php?cat=532&thumb=1

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
02-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Who is the unpainted figure, I can't tell.

evenflow
02-15-2003, 12:12 PM
I figured it out, never mind. Very cool, thanks for the link.

Jayspawn
02-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the pictures JarJar. I'm passing on ALL the Heman and Skeletors. But I'm really excited about Evil Lyn, Whiplash, TwoBad, Zodak, and BuzzOff they all look great.

Lman316
02-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Wow. I'm with you guys. What are they thinking with all these incarnations of He-Man and Skeletor? Most of them look like crap, anyway.
The only new He-Man and Skeletor I want to see are ones that are super-poseable; that can be put into multiple poses and can hold their swords with two hands. But none of this "Inferno" and "Exo Warrior" garbage :p.

Some of these look okay. I was going to quit buying the line, but I think I'll have to pick up Whiplash and maybe one or two more. I really want that Slime Pit because I had the original version (it had some kind of bone claw that would grab the figures and then you dump the slime on them). It's mostly for nostalgia, but it might be fun...

Evil Lyn looks okay, but does that figure remind anyone else somewhat of Disney villians? The face just looks like something you'd find on a McDonald's Happy Meal toy, or something.

I can't believe that they are releasing another Stratos, yet they did nothing to improve it! The Stratos I have now really sucks as you cannot do anything with it. I can't pose him because of how his arms are, and I wish they'd take the stupid "flapping action" out. Unless, of course, this is just a Chase Variant, then it's just twice as pointless.

I know all I seem to do anymore is complain (;)), but this line could just be so much better, it had so much potential. Hopefully, they'll get better as time goes by.

End...

El Chuxter
02-15-2003, 03:56 PM
These pics must be popular, as they are very slow-loading right now.

Most of the new figures look sweet. Roboto and Zodac look especially cool. I didn't know Zodac had eyes. :) Why's he got a repaint of Samurai He-Man's rocket launcher? Hopefully that's just on the prototype. One thing that bugged me on the old figures was how everyone not only wore the same underwear, but they had the same gun! Only Evil-Lyn is a bit iffy, but she has a different, more cartoony look in the cartoon, so the figures are rather accurate in that respect.

A couple of the new He-Man and Skeletors look decent. I might get a few of them, but it looks like I'll definitely be toning down my MOTU purchases.

Is it just me, or is that a new Greyskull? I thought it was a new package at first, but upon closer inspection. . . "Hey! Mine doesn't have that tent dealio on the tower!" :mad:

OzOtter
02-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
I figured it out, never mind. Very cool, thanks for the link.

I haven't. What is that thing?

OzOtter
02-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Meh, looks like all I'll be getting from that lot is Whiplash and Buzz-of.

Is that it for the year then?

I was kind of hoping for a few surprises, like a Clawful, or Webstor, or Kobra Khan, or Fisto, or Mossman. Ah, who am I kidding, that's just my wish list.

Lman316
02-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Is it just me, or is that a new Greyskull? I thought it was a new package at first, but upon closer inspection. . . "Hey! Mine doesn't have that tent dealio on the tower!" :mad:

I hadn't even paid it any attention until you said something, El Chuxter. They're showing that new stuff on the package, but you don't see it on the one up for display. The only difference I see is a gold Power Sword in the front - the other ones have silver.

Originally posted by OzOtter
I haven't. What is that thing?

I didn't know what people were talking about when mentioning this one. But if it's that white one (that looks like a skeleton), that's the mutant monster from the slime playset. If there is another unpainted figure, I didn't see it.

End...:happy:

Beast
02-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Yes, they are re-releasing a new and improved Castle Greyskull this year. They found out that kids didn't really like the scan the figures to make it talk thing. So they decided to issue it with a few changes and such, to make it more fun. And to try to get people to re-buy the thing again. :greedy: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
02-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yes, they are re-releasing a new and improved Castle Greyskull this year. They found out that kids didn't really like the scan the figures to make it talk thing. So they decided to issue it with a few changes and such, to make it more fun. And to try to get people to re-buy the thing again. :greedy: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Normally, I would be peeved that they're re-releasing something like this, but I managed to get my Grayskull for $10 :D. So, I have no room to complain...at least about the price :p.
I really didn't like the scanning either (I actually didn't like much about the playset, at all - it just works more for a display piece for me), but I don't think those added features are going to help much. Like I say about MOTU, in general, this could have been much better. But it just seems that most toy companies take that approach with playsets, anyway - like the Arena for Star Wars. I don't know if I should try to find that one or not.

Just one question about Grayskull, for those that have it: can anyone tell me how to get that Power Sword out of the "Hall of Secrets" ? I feel like I'm going to break the thing just pulling up on it. Is it even supposed to come out?

End...:happy:

Jedi Law Student
02-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Most of these figures look cool. Zodac, Evil-Lyn, and Man-E-Faces are fantastic!

I was a little bit disappointed when I first saw Roboto. I mean, where were the cool gears like the original had? But I did some looking around, and I found out that Roboto will have the gears. They'll just be concealed under a chest plate. I'll post a link to the pic:

Roboto pic (http://www.alteredstatesmag.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=tf2k3-motu&id=Roboto_4)

I can't wait for this figure!

evenflow
02-20-2003, 07:39 AM
I totally agree with ROboto, i still don't like the figure but it is cool to see the gears. I only will be picking up the new characters, I do not like the continuous releases of He-Man and Skeletor.

Eternal Padawan
02-20-2003, 08:54 AM
I saw a figure with a huge gauntlet on his hand and I thought "Cool! Fisto!"
Then I realized it was a Heman variant. What's up with that Mattel?

The power sword is permanently attached to Castle Greyskull, and I for one would rather have seen a Snake Mountain playset than rerelease Greyskull...

THE Slayer
03-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Actually, my little cousin has a greyskull, and he pulled the power sword right out.. He then looked at it and put it back. At first i thought he broke it, but he didn't. I like the new evil lyn and whiplash.

Does anyone have a list of ALL the chase figures they can post?

Eternal Padawan
03-09-2003, 08:50 AM
He-man (with a non PC iron cross on his chest like the original)
He-Man (with reversed chestplate paint)
Skeltor (also with reversed chestplate paint)
Meck-a-neck (alternate silver goggles)
Orko (orange base)
Trap-Jaw (lighter green belt)

Eternal Padawan
04-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Fisto? MossMan?

Stinkor? Webstor?

Are these rumors or fact? I WANT A WEBSTOR!! That'd be freakin' cool!

El Chuxter
04-03-2003, 12:57 PM
The cover of the new comic (#1 of the ongoing series) has Fisto, Stinkor, and Webstor, as well as Moss Man (who's also appeared on the show). They'll be released soon, I'll bet.

Eternal Padawan
04-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I picked up that new #1. It's a bit better than the limited series. I liked seeing Wind Raiders. Here's hoping they make some updated versions of those for the toy line so I don't have to go to eBay and snag a couple for my Masters. :)