PDA

View Full Version : custom brown & tan ML Wolvie, check it out!

jpak001
02-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Found this while browsing on ebay. Looks pretty damn cool! It inspires me to want to make my own, but I know the torso would be difficult. I would like to customize some real metal blades on my wolvie too, but haven't found anything suitable to use yet....

Anyways, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3114634065&category=2481

Adam
02-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Thats purty cool. The brown and tan costume shoulda been the variant.

Eternal Padawan
02-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Looks like he took off the shoulder pads, too.
Man, if I thought I could do a good job, I'd try to make one of those. I always liked the brown and tan Wolvie better, since thats what he was wearin' when I started collecting comics in '88.

Mutant Massacre, baby!

12inch Lando
02-26-2003, 10:56 AM
One of the things that I really like about this custom is the mat finish on the paint job. It looks much better that the glossy look of the original.

icatch9
02-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Cool! I think I'll do one. Mine will be better :). It'll be in the package too :D. Just wait and see :).

187-Maul
02-26-2003, 04:14 PM
after seeing so many pics of the Wolverine I think I really have to pick him up:D he just looks so cool (don't know if I'll repaint him though, although his actual colors look pretty bright and not very good) I recently saw one in my local TRU, I guess I have to pay that store another visit in the next couple of days and look if I want him (when I'm actually holding him in my hands)

jpak001
02-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
Cool! I think I'll do one. Mine will be better :). It'll be in the package too :D. Just wait and see :).

Right on!!! Hope to see some pictures of your custom when it's done:)

I really want to do one too, but I just don't feel like doing any custom Wolvies until I figure out how to give him some real blades.........

I'd like to make an Age Of The Apocalypse version too, that would be very cool!

12inch Lando
02-27-2003, 03:36 AM
What would an Age of the Apocalypse version jpak? I missed quite a few years of comic books.

icatch9
02-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Yea a photo of the AoA version would be cool, just to remind us all.

Custom metal blades would be tough. Paper clips would work, but they are round, not flat. Mettal just doesn't come that flat and that small in everyday things. I'm sure a master smith could make it, but for us regular Joes it's going to be a challenge. But if anyone figures it out.......CHA-CHING:greedy: :greedy: :greedy: !!

jpak001
02-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Here's a link to a pic of AOTA Wolvie. It's kinda grainy, but you get the the idea! :)

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2260/weaponx1.html

icatch9
02-27-2003, 10:16 AM
I had no idea that there were so many verison of X-Men comics. Very cool that they all delt with TAOA. Don't want to sound like a dummy, but what's the condenced story line of this series? I didn't buy or read many comics back then, so I"m kind of in the dark on this one.

Back to Wolvie. His outfit in this series is dark blue/black? Also he only has one claw/hand now? What happened? Better Photos would be helpful, but it would be cool to do a custom of him in that outfit. Though it seems like he doesn't have his hood in that series. There is no way I'm customizing the chase figure even if I could find one.

jpak001
02-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Well it's been a very long time since I read it. I think it was kindof a "what if" storyline if Prof X had died and Apocalypse had taken over the world (using mutants as his soldiers). It was a very cool dark story that spanned across a few different miniseries.

If I remember correctly, Wolverine was one of Apoc's top killers. His outfit was dark blue w/red stripes, and he didn't have a mask. I forgot how he lost his hand though.

I'm with you on the variant Wolvie thing too. There's no way in hell I would mangle one of those if I was lucky enough find one.

However, you could use a non-masked head from another Wolvie. They actually did release a AOTA wolvie a while go which actually wasn't a bad figure (except the claws). I got one off ebay for $4. I would really like to have a ML style one though!

187-Maul
02-27-2003, 04:14 PM
after looking at some pics, I like another Wolverine much more, could anyone tell me which version this is? (the left one in the pic is a custom and the blades on the other one are custom made too)

187-Maul
02-27-2003, 04:16 PM
and a second pic of him

James Boba Fettfield
02-27-2003, 04:30 PM
That one on the left reminds me of the Wolverine from the cover of his old NES game. How I miss it.

jpak001
02-27-2003, 05:04 PM
That's the Wolvie from the "evolution of X" 2 pack which had that comic style Wolvie, plus a pretty lame movie version. They showed up on clearance at KB for 6.99 around a year ago. It was originally supposed to be a Canada TRU exclusive (it actually says that in the text on the back of the box). Not sure if it was ever actually released at TRU or not though, I don't think it was.

The comic one is a really nice sculpt, and is actually what they modeled the Marvel Legends version after. If you look close you'll notice they're almost the exact same sculpt (except the battle damage, mouth & articulation of course).

Looks like this guy did a great job with the claws, I wish I knew what he used so I can make my own!

icatch9
02-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Yea, I second that. What in the world is made of thin mettal that we can get our hands on? I can't think of a sinlge thing :(.

Oh yea, thanks for the low down the TAOA story line. May have to check that out sometime :D.

Eternal Padawan
02-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Further enlightenment on the Age of Apocalypse storyline. Wolvie lost his hand when he shoved his claws into Scott Summers face. Scott lost an eye (making him a true cyclops) and Logan lost his hand. Actually Scott was Apocalypse's whipping boy and Logan was working for the Man. The whole story line was cool because they simply STOPPED the monthly X-Titles for 4 months and ran the AoA storyline instead. Of course, that led into the whole Onslaught debacle, at which point I stopped collecting.

jpak001
02-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Heh, that's right around when I stopped on X-books too. Those X-books can get pretty confusing with those huge, convoluted storylines! LOL

Age of the Apocalypse was a great storyline though, it really was a fun read and I don't remember being confused, or questioning any of it back then. But like all other good things, Marvel tried to take it too far: hence the Onslaught debacle :dead: I'll have to see if I actually still have 'em so I can go for a second read!

187-Maul
03-01-2003, 12:41 PM
thanks for the info jpak001, but I guess I'll never get that version then:( he looks way better than the marvel legends wolverine IMO

jpak001
03-01-2003, 04:51 PM
No KB's in Paris 187-Maul? I have a loose one, PM me if you're interested in a trade or something :)

187-Maul
03-03-2003, 11:40 AM
if you really want to know, there are no KB's, Walmarts or Targets here in France, only TRU's
thanks for the offer but I don't really want to deal with private sellers in the US (or any other countries besides Europe), it's nothing against you but there's just a too high risk *if* something would happen, and shipping is really high for europe (from the US), but still thanks for the offer
maybe a comicshop here has one, guess I'll have to look a bit around

jpak001
03-03-2003, 03:03 PM
I hear ya man, private online sales can be sketchy.. I usually stay away from buying this way myself.

It's all good though, when you compare them side by side I think the ML one is far superior. You might end up being happier with that after all!

187-Maul
05-03-2003, 12:38 PM
well, although this thread is already 2 months old, I finally decided to get the ML Wolverine!:)
last time I checked my TRU he was sold-out, but I went there again today and what do you know, they had him:) for 15 euros BTW (about $15)
and as jpak001 said, I am happier with this one after all when I compare him with the other version (evolution of X 2-pack), he's just so cool and you can put him in so many different poses (but you guys probably already know that;) )
well I'm just happy I got him, and BTW it is my first ML fig

187-Maul
05-03-2003, 04:53 PM
I played a bit around with my Wolverine and took some pics, so here are some just for your viewing pleasure:)
first off a pic of Wolverine being attacked by Spawn (or should I say Spawn's chains;) )

BTW, how come pics can't be bigger than 700x700 pixels? I always thought it was 800x800?

187-Maul
05-03-2003, 04:58 PM
here's a pic of Spawn defeated by Wolvie:) (BTW I just love to play around with different poses with figs who both have more than 30 points of articulation:D )

187-Maul
05-03-2003, 05:00 PM
and as last pic, Wolvie standing in an attack-pose:)
BTW, have I already told you much I love this fig...:D

bobafrett
05-04-2003, 02:34 AM
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you were referring to the 12" Wolverine in Camo clothing from the Marvel studios collection. I saw one just the other day, but it was around $37, and I was a little short on cash that day. I did pick up the Blade II, and the Punisher from the Marvel Studio line. I do like the brown and Tan ML Wolverine. I was never to hot on the idea of this tough looking guy in yellow and blue.

jpak001
05-04-2003, 03:06 AM
Right on Maul, nice pics! Marvel Legends really is a great line of figures!

Man, I just wish I could find that Spawn for less than $35......

187-Maul
05-04-2003, 10:57 AM
I wish I could find the Marvel Select Blade for less than 40$, but no chance here in france
so is the Blade cool? I have to keep my eye out if I can find him anywhere, I want him so bad:)

jpak001
05-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Hey Maul, actually $40 isn't too bad compared to U.S. prices. They were $35 at Toys R Us here. The Blade IS an awesome figure too.

I'm very happy with mine!

bobafrett
05-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Yes, the Blade II figure rocks. He's fully loaded with enough weapons to take out an army of Vampires!

187-Maul
05-05-2003, 09:19 AM
sorry to confuse, but what I actually ment was "I wish I could find a Blade for 40$ or less", the price here is about 60$ I think... I think I should make myself more clear next time:)