PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Rehashes

cassanova frankensti
02-16-2003, 10:46 AM
I don't think every rehash of a character that Hasbro has done has alwasy been necessary (endless pointless variations of young Anakin, Jar Jar, Obi Wan and Qui Gon from E1, for example), however some rehases were badly needed and represented a major improvement for a figure that was not done right the first time aroung (e.g. POTJ Lando, Comm Tech Stormtrooper, POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper). The new Snowtrooper is an example of a much needed greatly improved remake. I don't think that there are that many previously-released figures that need an improved rehash in a major way, but here is my list of those that I think do need to be remade to make up for a lacking initial release:
General Lando, Jabba's Palace Luke, Endor Poncho Leia w removable Helmet, a Tatooine Luke wearing a poncho, Endor Luke w removable helmet, Hoth Luke, Hoth Han (the orginal Hoth Han could not stand up due to buckled legs and had a weird looking head with the hood down, the Hoth Han that came with the Taun Taun was pretty good (and the beat to date), but still just isnt right, and the new 2003 Hoth Han still looks like crap).
Can you think of any others that REALLY need a rehashing?

Beast
02-16-2003, 11:46 AM
They arn't rehashes, for one. Rehashes would be reusing an old figure for it's parts to make a new one. There are many necissary resculpts on the other hand. Infact as much as probably 1/3 of the POTF2 line needs resculpts. Almost all the Leia's, since her scale is way off in everything before POTJ. Same with Chewbacca and Vader. I'll give you a list, but it will take a while.

And while you feel the Jar Jar resculpts to be unnecissary, the first version of the charecter was way off in scale and not very detailed. Same with the version from the Cinema Scene. But Hasbro finally redeemed themself, and managed to get Jar Jar pretty correct with the E1 Swimming Jar Jar, which was unfortunatly somewhat hard to find, but they captured him perfectly with the POTJ Jar Jar: Tatooine. I even bought two, so I could remove the tongue from one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
02-16-2003, 11:50 AM
there is a Dear Hasbro section where you can leave figure requests, an dthere have been many thread with a question like this, but I'll say mine anyway:)

ROTJ Emperor Palpatine, Bib Fortuna, Ultimate E1 OBi-Wan (lotsa articulation and cloak), Ultimate E1 Qui-Gon Jinn, Ultimate E1 Darth Maul, Ultimate Darth Vader (actually they should made a whole ultimate line with the keycharacters in a special box with lotsa articulation and accessories)
can't think of anything else at the moment that I really want, but there is a lot
oh wait, ROTJ JABBA!!!

edit: BTW, I meant resculpts, not rehashes

sunshine
02-16-2003, 12:06 PM
They need to Re-Release R2-D2 with Holo Leia and more Ephant Mon!!

TIE Pilot
02-16-2003, 02:18 PM
They need to Re-Release R2-D2 with Holo Leia and more Ephant Mon!!

AMEN!! Those are two figures that I'd love to have, but haven't come close to finding :(

187-Maul
02-16-2003, 02:48 PM
isn't the Ephant Mon still shipping?
and I agree with the R2-D2, but they should pack him with the ROTJ baverage thingie on his head instead of the holo leia, that would be pretty cool IMO

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
the first version of the charecter was way off in scale and not very detailed.

You mean the carded Episode I Jar Jar Binks figure? I thought that figure was quite good and probably had the best movie likeness out of all the Episode I figures.
As far as the swimming one, I think it's cool but it's not as good as the original Jar Jar, you use the commtech from the swimming version for your Tatooine Jar Jar figure?
It's hard to get but I found it in a bargain bin!!!! I have Sio Bibble but TC-14 eludes me.. hell, he/she should be repackaged! I've got he/she in 12" though! :)

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'll give you a list, but it will take a while.

Lets see the list :) :p

As far as resculpts, why not? Without rescuplts, we wouldn't have had the awesome Bespin Duel Versions of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker.
Hell, we're getting a new Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker soon.
I'm totally for Resculpts, just as long as they're better than the preceding version.
As for rehashes, why not? If they can make a figure better, I say why not? And hey, you don't have to buy it if you don't like it. :)
I actually love all the resculpts of Jango Fett because they've been different and each one has been awesome in it's own way, the Final Duel and Kamino Versions are both awesome, he has different Jetpacks and they can be posed differently.
And finally... yes I think we do need a Jango Fett in his apartment Jammies, but shouldn't that be in a cinema scene? :)

Beast
02-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
Lets see the list :) :p
Sure, don't say I didn't warn you. There may be a few more, but it was a quick job. Note that this is just POTF2 figures that are lacking for one reason or another. I didn't include ones that I would like a re-sculpt of that didn't seriously need it. :)

4-Lom (Suffers from Protocal Droid spread legs)
Anakin: Jedi Spirit (Regular Figure, molded inside of a thin clear blue shell)
AT-AT Commander (Goofy looking, to tall, not General Veers)
AT-ST Driver (Hopefully the Imperial 4-Pack is coming still)
Ben: Jedi Spirit (Regular Figure, molded inside of a thin clear blue shell)
Bib Fortuna (Need an E1 version, but ROTJ one is also lacking)
Biker Scout (A newly sculpted version, with Speederbike)
Captain Piett (In comparison to Admiral Motti, is lacking)
Chewbacca: Boushh's Bounty (Not to scale, suffers from cross-eyes)
C-3PO (New shiny version w/ silver leg, no spread legs)
Death Star Droid (Suffers from Protocal Droid spread legs)
Death Star Trooper (Running pose, could have been so much better)
Dengar (Needs his backpack from ESB, figure was based on ROTJ)
Emperor Palpatine (E1 sculpt proves they could do him so much better)
Grand Moff Tarkin (New sculpt, after Motti all past Imperials pale)
Han: Stormtrooper (New Screen Scene is good, not perfect - needs helmet)
Han Solo: Carbonite (Better Detailed, arm and wrist binders, solid block)
Han: Endor (New sculpt w/ Duster, AT-ST helmet, interchangable gloved hands)
Chewbacca: Hoth (Figure is not properly scaled, far to short)
Lando: Skiff Guard (Better sculpt, more articulation)
Lando: General (To muscular, a return to the He-Man sculpts of '95)
Lobot (Ugh, Disco Lobot's gotta go. One of the worse POTF2 figures)
Luke: Ceremonial (New sculpt, possibly in a screen scene with Leia & Han)
Luke: Dagobah Fatigues (One of the last overly buffed up Luke's)
Luke: Endor Gear (The Speederbike and MMC coin versions were far from great)
Luke: Jedi Knight (Vested and cloaked version, from Jabba's Palace)
Luke: Stormtrooper (New Screen Scene is good, not perfect - needs helmet)
Luke: X-Wing Pilot (POTJ one is great, body and head is good for ANH only)
Mon Mothma (Nice figure, but could use legs. Or atleast feet, like Saga Palpy)
Princess Leia: Bespin Gear (Too tall, cape is really inaccurate)
Princess Leia: Boushh (To tall, new headsculpt, no molded detonator)
Princess Leia: Ceremonial (To tall, great potential for a screen scene w/ Luke & Han)
Princess Leia: Ewok Celebration (Like all Leia's, to tall)
Princess Leia: Hoth (Like 90% of Leia figures, she's to tall)
R2-D2: Launching Lightsaber (Bad figure, a resculpt would be nice)
R2-D2: Sensorscope (Like the vintage figure, it's not his sensorscope.)
R5-D4 (Ugh! Do I even need to say why? :crazed: )
Ten Numb (There is a version of this charecter in the movie, but dressed in red)
Uncle Owen (Ugh, terrible headsculpt and nose-picking finger)
Yoda (Need a new basic ESB one with 2 legs and a soft cloak like the vintage)
Yoda: Spirit (Regular Figure, molded inside of a thin clear blue shell)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
02-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Ooooooooooooooooh, look at all those figures. It would be a collector's dream come true if it happened. But then, I'll probably be super-broke. :D Most of the ones that I wanted are in your list, including my most wanted: Leia in Boushh Disguise! C'mon Hasbro.... YOU CAN DO'IT!!

Darth Trymybestus
02-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Cool list, I totally agree with you about the Jedi Spirit figures, because in the movie, they're not totally blue, they just have kinda a blue aura around them. :)

As far as Emperor Palpatine is concerned, yes they can certainly do a better one, I mean look at the Episode I figure of Darth Sidious, that figure is pretty much perfect.
What I do wonder is, why haven't we seen a new Classic Trilogy Yoda figure? I mean Yoda is so hot right now, he's so popular, you'd think Hasbro would be eager to jump onto that bandwagon.

As for the Biker Scout, I think the POTJ one was awesome, it was pretty much the definitive Biker Scout except that he can't fit on a bike! :p

I think scale is a big issue with figures, what I do wonder is why are the SAGA figures out of scale? I mean Episode I Mace Windu is a big as SAGA Count Dooku.

Do you not think we need a Luke Skywalker Tatooine? What do you think of the Commtech one? :)

Beast
02-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
Cool list, I totally agree with you about the Jedi Spirit figures, because in the movie, they're not totally blue, they just have kinda a blue aura around them. :)
Yep, that's exactly why I would like to see them made this way. Sort of how they made the Darth Vader: Emperor's Wrath. That showed that it's definatly possible to do somthing like this in figures so small. :)

As far as Emperor Palpatine is concerned, yes they can certainly do a better one, I mean look at the Episode I figure of Darth Sidious, that figure is pretty much perfect.
It's only a matter of time for a Classic Emporer Palpy. Especially if the Throne Room playset becomes a reality. I'm sure it would be packed with a new Palpatine figure. Hopefully one that is able to sit. But we'll have to wait and see. :)

What I do wonder is, why haven't we seen a new Classic Trilogy Yoda figure? I mean Yoda is so hot right now, he's so popular, you'd think Hasbro would be eager to jump onto that bandwagon.
Hasbro originally didn't anticipate such a huge Yoda explosion in popularity. That's why they rushed out the rehash E1 Yoda at the end of 2002, to try to meet demand. Now that 2003 is here, they've had time to get atleast 2 more basic Yoda's underway, as well as a 12", Unleashed, and toy lightsaber. I'm sure we'll see a new classic Yoda at some point. :)

As for the Biker Scout, I think the POTJ one was awesome, it was pretty much the definitive Biker Scout except that he can't fit on a bike! :p
I think a Deluxe Screen Scene would be great here. Luke: Endor, Leia: Endor, and a Biker Scout all with bikes. The Luke and Leia can be new sculpts with soft goods ponchos. And they can use a modified version of the new Speederbike from the Deluxe Clone.

I think scale is a big issue with figures, what I do wonder is why are the SAGA figures out of scale? I mean Episode I Mace Windu is a big as SAGA Count Dooku.
Well, the E1 line wasn't exactly the best at scale either. Look at Boss Nass especially for proof of that. It got better later on, but still wasn't perfect. Mace is listed at StarWars.com as 1.88 meters, Dooku is listed as 1.93 meters. So Dooku isn't an incredible ammount taller. :)

Do you not think we need a Luke Skywalker Tatooine? What do you think of the Commtech one? :)
Yes, we need atleast 1 more. A nice detailed one, with his poncho. Actually, since the floppy hat and commtech Luke: Tatooine's are the best Luke's, and really can't get much better, they should just re-issue one of those with a poncho and other accessories. Main charecter accessories sets would be a great idea for this. Blast shield helmet, poncho, saber, macrobinoculers, long rifle, floppy hat, etc. etc. etc. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
02-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Han in Hoth does look like junk with his super fart pose. I'm with cassanova on that. Since I see re-releases as "rehashes" like cassanova I think your trying to press your technical jargon of terms on Cassanova Jar Jar. Rehash is repeating pointless sculpts, you can call it resculpts, re-releases, copies, etc.... Try not to lecture people on their word usage, because I think cassanova and I think resculpts are junky rehashes same sculpt or not Jar Jar.

As for my realistic wish list of rehashes it would have to be (all neutral poses with no action features).

Luke Jedi with cloak
Dr. Evezan
Lobot
Han Hoth (sculpt 4)
R5-D4

In the end I would rather see new figures than rehases though

Beast
02-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Sorry, those would be resculpts. Not rehashes. A resculpt would be new sculpts to make a new figure that would replace or correct a previously extisting figure. A rehash is the use of old parts to make a new figure, repainting an old figure, or somthing along those lines. See the 2002 Saga Tusken Raider w/ Massiff and Yoda: Jedi High Council for examples. :)

Main Entry: 1re·hash
Pronunciation: (")rE-'hash
Function: transitive verb
Date: circa 1822
1 : to talk over or discuss again
2 : to present or use again in another form without substantial change or improvement
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
02-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Jar Jar don't waste my time looking up your dictonary. To me they are rehashes. Semantics are not worth debating. I'm entitled to my own viewpoint despite your absolute insight on this phrase. It's the viewpoint you debate, not the word usage. If I wanted my word usage analyzed I would be writing on a dictionary forum.

LTBasker
02-19-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Jaff
Jar Jar don't waste my time looking up your dictonary. To me they are rehashes. Semantics are not worth debating. I'm entitled to my own viewpoint despite your absolute insight on this phrase. It's the viewpoint you debate, not the word usage. If I wanted my word usage analyzed I would be writing on a dictionary forum.

True, resculpts could be considered rehashes, but in a very weak way. The only rehash is what the figure is called, not what the figure is. You see Hoth Han is a rehash of Hoth Han because it's the same name, but that's only what we call the figures in which they can't reflect on the figures themselves if it truly is a new sculpt.

You see basically your argument is like saying that you'll use "there" for there, their and they're because they have strong similiarities even though they're entirely different, meaning they would be the same to you which is strongly out of context.

Going by your line of logic on that, then all versions of figures that were done in the 70's/80's are just rehashes of the vintage line...freaky.

Jaff
02-20-2003, 02:56 AM
Luke Skywalker (POTF: 1995)
Deluxe Luke Skywalker (POTF: 1996) - Rehash
Luke Skywalker (Purchase of Droid: 1998) = Resculpt
Luke Skywalker (FF: 1998) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker with Floppy Hat (flashback: 1998) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker (Commtech: 1999) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker (Deluxe Anniversary: 2002) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker with Landspeeder (Saga: 2002) = Rehash

Word it any way you want it, that's my opinionand my word usage. Nuff said!

Beast
02-20-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Jaff
Luke Skywalker (POTF: 1995)
Deluxe Luke Skywalker (POTF: 1996) - Rehash
Luke Skywalker (Purchase of Droid: 1998) = Resculpt
Luke Skywalker (FF: 1998) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker with Floppy Hat (flashback: 1998) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker (Commtech: 1999) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker (Deluxe Anniversary: 2002) = Rehash
Luke Skywalker with Landspeeder (Saga: 2002) = Rehash

Word it any way you want it, that's my opinionand my word usage. Nuff said!
It's the incorrect usuage of the term, according to the dictionary and established collecting terminolgy. If you choose to use it, expect to be corrected constantly by the people who know what they're talking about. But let's examine your little list.

Deluxe Luke would be a rehash of the POTF2 sculpt, as it reused the basic body only with a slight adjustment the paints used on it. So you got one right. Purchase of the Droid's Luke would not be, as it didn't reuse anything from the POTF2 95 He-Man Luke. It was a totally new sculpt, if it were a rehash he would still be He-Man sized. :)

Secondly, the Luke packaged with the Landspeeder would be a rehash from the Flashback "Floppy Hat" Luke. There are a few minor tooling and paint changes, but nothing like is featured on any of the other Luke's. Just the removal of his tab for the macrobinoculars, as he didn't come with them. And there was some "dirty" deco added to his outfit. :)

All the other Luke's featured new sculpting. Legs, arms, head, torso, waist. Comparing the various versions there are substantial differences from version to version. Meaning that this was a case of a re-sculpt, not a re-hash. Again, if you bothered to research the terminology you would know this. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
02-20-2003, 05:30 AM
Jar Jar your desperate need to sound knowlegable on every posting is fairly sad. Your rehash of "little" irrelevancies mires any noteworty posting. However if you are in such need for the last word it's all yours.

Sidiously Darth
03-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Ignoring the last few posts in this thread, I would like to offer a needed "do over" of a figure.

Zam Wessell that actually fits into her speeder.

That's all. Thanks for taking the time to read this relevant post.:sur: :D ;) :p :crazed:

halcon orlus
03-05-2003, 10:33 AM
- Tarkin

- Fully articulated R2-D2 WITH NO GIMMICKS WHATSOEVER

- ESB Yoda

- standard Hoth rebel trooper