PDA

View Full Version : New Vader = Spring Arm like Padme (Arena Conflict)??

jblodgett
02-16-2003, 03:31 PM
After giving that picture some more looks, I wonder if the new Vader is going to be spring armed like the Padme Arena Conflict figure. i.e. his arm can either be "sprung" or it can be "ready to be sprung". It can't move any other direction or be posed in any other manner. This is the only reason I would NOT like this figure.

Beast
02-16-2003, 03:35 PM
The current thoughts, is that it's more like Mace Windu: Geonosian Rescue. In other words, the button will move the waist, that will cause his arm to swing and throw the saber. Try it with Mace, just don't plug the saber into the hole to keep it there. It will go flying. In other words, the failure of Mace to keep hold of his saber without the hole, leads to Vader's saber flinging action. They just posed his arm bad for that picture, like they did before with Aayla Secura. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jblodgett
02-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Ahhh...

I suppose that is entirely possible. The face alone was bad enough on that figure that I never bought him.

sith_killer_99
02-16-2003, 07:35 PM
This new Vader is nothing more than a slap in the face of collectors everywhere.

It makes me sick that Hasbro would do something like this (add an action feature) and I for one will pass on this piece of junk.:mad:

With that said, the new Snowtrooper looks good, but is that the same cannon that came with the Deluxe Snowtrooper?

Such potential, wasted.:cry:

Beast
02-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Slap in the face to you, maybe. But from all the comments on the boards, including other boards it seems to be going over really well. Don't like it? Do a head swap with another Vader. Or an arm swap with this one. Actually most of the complaints are coming from the cape. But he's pretty damn good, in many people's eyes. :)

I've actually been reading more negative comments in regards to the SnowTrooper. Complaints about it being under-articulated, an officer version, no belt pouches or kneepads, no detailing on the boots. So it seems there is more disapointment for the figure you prefer, then there is for the figure you consider junk. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
02-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Nope, your both wrong, this is a Vader with a slap in the face.

sith_killer_99
02-16-2003, 08:12 PM
You are correct, there is just no accounting for taste, mine as it seems. ;)

But seriously, I think the sculpt is great, the head looks awesome. But I seriously want to kill Hasbro...or Randy...for putting in the action feature.

Sure people love it now, but they have yet to get this thing in their hands. They may find that the waist dosen't work right, he suffers from "Arena-Padme'-pop-up-stuck-out-arm" syndrome or he has some horrible button or wheel sticking out of his back.

I know that I am in the minority on these types of things. I am probably the only one here who hates the SAGA Bespin Luke and Darth Vader. I loath action features that much. Sooo much that I bought less than 30 (different) figures from the SAGA line to date, not including the garbage I sold or returned.

I am just disappointed that Hasbro decided to waste the time and effort on another lame action feature when they could have added articualtion. In all my years on the boards I have seen people yell and scream about good detail/sculpts and...articulation. Not once did I ever hear a collector, or kid for that matter, ask about action features.

How many people bought the POTF2 removable helmet Vader; got him home; opened him up and said "Gee, I wish he had some kinda spring loaded gizmo that let him fling his saber like in the movie"!
***Note: How will this be addressed for "Safety Standards" will Vader's saber be considered a "projectile"? Hmmm...***

I would have thought that by now Hasbro had heard our collective cries against action features, and how they detract from otherwise good figures.:mad:

Beast
02-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Even if they heard the cries, these figures take a year to go from concept to completion. That means that this figure that is coming in April/May was started before Hasbro got any real feedback on action features. So even though many consider the action features universally dispised, they still will be on the figures for a while longer before they are likely phased out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I am probably the only one here who hates the SAGA Bespin Luke and Darth Vader.

Count me as number 2, I couldn't buy them either. :)

Also, I'll never forget mabudon's sig line during Bespin Vader's release:

"Bespin Vader is kinda crummy."

:crazed:

sith_killer_99
02-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Great, so we can look forward to 18 months (total) of garbage figures mixed with some good stuff. Sooo many potentially good figures left rotting on the pegs, as I pass up those hidious action feature figures.

With stuff like this no wonder I spent more money on the LEGO Star Wars line last year.:eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2003, 11:32 AM
The new Vader is great, my only beef with it is the over-posed cape, which can be fixed ny putting another Vader's cape on it.:) I can't wait until the action features are gone, but at least this one was in the movie.:)

abell748
02-17-2003, 01:24 PM
is the vader an "action figure" or an 4 inch unleashed figure with a spring loaded arm? the only thing that hasbro is good at now is dropping the ball.

Jaff
02-18-2003, 10:17 AM
sith killer you are not in the minority. There are tons of folks bummed with the action feature/unleashed posed figures. This Darth is junk. He's just another statue, despite the nice detail he posesses. The snowtrooper looks great. Who cares about his articulation because I love neutral poses like many out there. Give me BoShek, Jek Porkins, Ephant, etc.... Their articulation stinks but those figures are still perfect in every way! The saga line is junk. Can't wait for the next phase of figures at the end of the year.

Lman316
02-19-2003, 12:02 PM
I like the Vader, but I don't like the action gimmick. I was looking at everything despite said "feature." I've also given my opinions about the cape, and whatnot, but I still like the look of this figure.
Now, that could very well change by the time I have him in my hands, like mentioned in this thread. The action feature could suck definitely more than expected and I might not even want to look at it (kinda like GR Mace and AE Padme). I hope that's not the case, though...

I still don't think his action feature will be like GR Mace. I think that the arm will have a spring, so that you pull that back and let it "fly." Kinda like the Deluxe Clone Trooper, which I'm including a picture of (that's all I have to go on, as these have yet to show up in my area :frus: ).

End...

Lman316
02-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Dang-it, I forgot to attach this to my first post :rolleyes:. Oh, well, here's what I'm talking about on the action feature for Vader.

End...

jblodgett
02-19-2003, 12:11 PM
I predict that is EXACTLY how his arm will work. You will put his lightsaber into his hand, you will then pull his arm back, press the little button on his back, and whooosh- the spring flings the arm and throws the lightsaber.

That is what I was thinking from the very beginning. I thought the Padme Arena Conflict figure also worked with a spring. Since I didn't buy her, I don't have any first hand information on her.

Lman316
02-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
I predict that is EXACTLY how his arm will work. You will put his lightsaber into his hand, you will then pull his arm back, press the little button on his back, and whooosh- the spring flings the arm and throws the lightsaber.

That is what I was thinking from the very beginning. I thought the Padme Arena Conflict figure also worked with a spring. Since I didn't buy her, I don't have any first hand information on her.

The Padme does work with a spring, so you're right about that, but you had to twist her to make the "action" feature work.
This won't be like that, IMO, and I don't think it will even have a button to press. I think it will just be a free arm, with the spring. The more you pull it back, the more tension you'll get and the farther the lightsaber might "fly." Isn't that how the Deluxe Clone works? I didn't see a button there...
But I guess we'll find out when we find out.

End...:D

Edit in: I just looked at the picture again. I guess there is a button - I didn't see it before. So, maybe that's how the Vader will be. Man, I wish Hasbro would just leave the action gimmicks out. Then we wouldn't have to go through this conjecture :p.

End...(the sequel) :D

jblodgett
02-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Actually-- IF IT WORKS -- this could be a pretty cool figure.

Come on, there are like 45 Darth Vaders already made. If you go into the purchase, knowing full well that he has the throwing lightsaber action, why would you be disappointed with that?

I am a little more excited about him than I was before. My trepedation comes into play when I think about the likelihood that this throwing lightsaber feature isn't going to work nearly as well as Hasbro thought it would.

Lman316
02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
Actually-- IF IT WORKS -- this could be a pretty cool figure.

Come on, there are like 45 Darth Vaders already made. If you go into the purchase, knowing full well that he has the throwing lightsaber action, why would you be disappointed with that?

I am a little more excited about him than I was before. My trepedation comes into play when I think about the likelihood that this throwing lightsaber feature isn't going to work nearly as well as Hasbro thought it would.

I just don't like action features and I never will - whether they work or not. I'm fussy like that :p.
The reason I can be disappointed with it is because I like to be able to pose a figure in a full range. And things like little articulation and "action" features limit how a figure can be posed. I really think that this could be one of the best Vader's ever made. He only needed a better cape, maybe 3 extra points of articulation (if even that many more) and no gimmick. It could have been the definitive, IMO.

I always wait now to make any final judgments on a figure. I'm going to buy him, anyway, because I like Vader. But hopefully the action feature won't limit posing too much. Here's hoping...

End...:D

187-Maul
02-19-2003, 04:17 PM
I don't remember who made this custom but IMO this is the ultimate Vader and Hasbro should release him exactly like this, maybe with a removable helmet and hand and a bit more articulation in the arms so he can hold his saber in two hands, but otherwise he's perfect, no stupid gimmick or pose, just a cool Vader

187-Maul
02-19-2003, 04:20 PM
here's a close-up pic

mista_carrot
02-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I don't remember who made this custom but IMO this is the ultimate Vader and Hasbro should release him exactly like this, maybe with a removable helmet and hand and a bit more articulation in the arms so he can hold his saber in two hands, but otherwise he's perfect, no stupid gimmick or pose, just a cool Vader

That's a pretty nice custom. I've always loved the sculpting on EW Vader (whom this custom appears to made from) and it's nice to see how he would look in a non-transluscent state.