PDA

View Full Version : What are you listening to? (merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

JON9000
07-30-2006, 04:30 PM
I have been inspired by Master Sounds 98.3 to get into rare groove. It's great.

figrin bran
07-30-2006, 07:28 PM
sufjan stevens' "the avalanche"

DARKNESSETRNL
08-03-2006, 01:23 PM
MY CD-ROM IS PLAYING SINERGY "TO HELL AND BACK".:twisted:

Hellboy
08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
A few other CDs that I've been listening to lately.

A Lively Mind - Paul Oakenfold
Eyes Open - Snow Patrol

Blue2th
08-06-2006, 01:56 PM
The Grays: "Ro Sham Bo" These guys were amazing! Late nineties Alternative evolved.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
sufjan stevens' "the avalanche"

Great CD. Not as strong as "Come on & feel the Illinoise!" for obvious reasons, but still, a great collection.

As for myself, i'm listening to Bruce Springsteen, "The Peter Seeger Sessions." Some good ole' timey bluegrass with a dash of rock and country. Fantastic stuff.

figrin bran
08-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Great CD. Not as strong as "Come on & feel the Illinoise!" for obvious reasons, but still, a great collection.

yep JMG, not as strong but still great nonetheless. i've listened to "adlai stevenson" so many times that i was eventually forced to do some wikipedia research on him.

JON9000
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I've got pandora.com going at work, still trying to get it to learn my tastes. I'm not sure the algorithm is quite as smart as advertised. I started my chill out station with female vocals over a trip hop background and it really isn't figuring it out.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I've got pandora.com going at work, still trying to get it to learn my tastes. I'm not sure the algorithm is quite as smart as advertised. I started my chill out station with female vocals over a trip hop background and it really isn't figuring it out.Yeah, I've had similar problems. I have discovered a few interesting artists or tunes I hadn't heard before. I started one station with Pink Floyd's "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", hoping to get something spacey like that. I think the first song it played was "Green-Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf. It then played some version of "Season of the Witch". I kind of got it back on track as it started playing more instrumental tunes by groups like Mogwai.

The nice thing though, is that you can give a song a thumbs down and it will stop that song and move onto the next one. I think if you thumbs down the same artist twice, it will ban that artist from the station. It's been a while since I messed with it. My computer is old and about out of memory, so it kind of messes things to have Pandora running for very long.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Listening to the following:

"Little Miss Sunshine" soundtrack- Great score with Michael Dynna and Devotchka!

New Pete Yorn, "Nightcrawler" CD- Good to know folks who let me borrow advance copies. Fantastic disc and it's getting a purchase on Tuesday. I love it and i'm so giggly he put "Undercover" on it as that's my fave B-side. :whip:

El Chuxter
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
New Pete Yorn, "Nightcrawler" CD- Good to know folks who let me borrow advance copies. Fantastic disc and it's getting a purchase on Tuesday. I love it and i'm so giggly he put "Undercover" on it as that's my fave B-side. :whip:

WHEN?!?

I'm sure you'll know exactly what I mean. (And I guess I can deal with "Undercover" on yet another CD, though if he were to dig through b-sides, I'd prefer "Suspicious Minds.")

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-13-2006, 10:43 AM
reviving this thread!

Listening to William Elliot Whitmore's new disc, "Song of the Blackbird." another solid disc from this guy. It's some of the best stuff i've ever heard and his voice is so incredible. One of my buddies had him on his TV show up in WI and got me hooked on him. Very bluegrass and "old timey." Check him out at: www.southern.com or if you wanna head to the site for his new record and check out an mp3 of "The chariot" do that. http://www.southern.com/southern/band/WILEW/28130.php

Fantastic stuff.

Slicker
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I've been listening to Disturbed lately mostly because of Shout 2000 and Land of Confusion. Both are great songs and make me drive fast.:yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I got a new iMac, so I can finally access the iTunes store. I went nuts the first week and purchased 40 songs. Mainly, I wanted to get enough to try burning a CD. This was what I put on it:

1. Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
2. The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Sister Surround
3. Interpol - Obstacle 1
4. The Raveonettes - Attack of the Ghost Riders
5. Caesars - Jerk it Out
6. Howie Day - Brace Yourself
7. Kill Hannah - Kennedy
8. OutKast - Hey Ya!
9. The Shins - Turn a Square
10. The Start - The 1234
11. The Strokes - Reptilia
12. Air - Cherry Blossom Girl
13. At the Drive-In - One Armed Scissor
14. Incubus - Megalomaniac
15. The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
16. The Mooney Suzuki - Alive & Amplified
17. VHS or Beta - Night On Fire
18. The Walkmen - The Rat
19. Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body
20. Kasabian - Club Foot
21. Louis XIV - Finding Out True Love Is Blind

Those songs were some of my favorites that I have heard on the Music Choice alternative channel on Comcast Cable TV.

Here are the other 19 songs I got:

After The Fire - Der Kommissar
Air - Sexy Boy
Buffalo Springfield - Rock 'n Roll Woman
The Church - Under the Milky Way
Elefant - Lolita
Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
Ivy - Edge of the Ocean
James Asher - Earth Song
Jerry Reed - Amos Moses
Jonatha Brooke & The Story - No Better
You Know You're Right - Nirvana
Peter Murphy - Cuts You Up
The Posies - Suddenly Mary
The Rolling Stones - Play With Fire
Sarah McLachlan - Drawn to the Rhythm
Sarah McLachlan - Into the Fire
Sarah McLachlan - Shelter
Sloan - Money City Maniacs
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride

Blue2th
09-13-2006, 09:01 PM
I am still mostly listening to the Grays: "Ro Sham Bo" (their hit was "Very Best Years") I can't believe I missed these guys in 94. A friend of mine turned me on to them. They only had one album. This is the best "alternative" CD I have ever heard. Very few bands of that era have the vocal and instrument talent of these guys. And no one recently except for maybe Queens of the Stone Age. Every song is great. With former Jellyfish member Jason Falkner and Jon Brion who now writes film scores (Magnolia, I heart Huckabees etc.) To catagorize it I would say it's psychadelic Beatles influenced alternative with a more modern sound. Now I have been trying out CD's from these guys solo carreers. I must say Jason Falkner's work is outstanding on his own. Jason Falkner: "Can You Still Feel" is one I'm very glad I bought. You can hear how heavily he infunced the Grays sound. Got "Author Unknown" on the way.:thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Frank Black came to Bellingham on Sunday night. I believe this was just a solo acoustic tour, as he plans to tour with a full band later this year. I bought my ticket ten days before the show. Monday morning I'm at work and realize I forgot to go. :upset: :mad: :frus: :stupid: Actually, I'm sort of glad I didn't go. I got to bed before 11pm for the first time in a while. I needed that. Also, I'm not as familiar with his newer stuff, and tend not to like it as much, so I might not have enjoyed it as much. Still, I'm out $23, and he was right here in town and I missed it.

Rocketboy
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
I picked up the soundtrack to The Last Kiss the other day, but haven't listened to it yet.
Garden State's soundtrack is one of my top 10 albums of all time, so I have high hopes for this one.

figrin bran
09-14-2006, 01:30 AM
Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack
Rockabye baby - lullaby renditions of radiohead

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-14-2006, 05:50 AM
I picked up the soundtrack to The Last Kiss the other day, but haven't listened to it yet.
Garden State's soundtrack is one of my top 10 albums of all time, so I have high hopes for this one.

"The Last Kiss" soundtrack is another solid outing. Lots of good stuff and I loooooooove that Snow Patrol song. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
09-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Abba's greatest hits?!? :sur:

jjreason
09-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm listening to Idlewild by Outkast.... mainly good/great stuff on there, I'm happiest with hip hop when it's served up with a generous dose of music.

El Chuxter
09-14-2006, 10:59 AM
That's been in heavy rotation on my player as well, JJ. I find that I tend to skip Big Boi's songs in favor of Andre 3000's contributions. A lot like how I've played The Love Below a bazillion times, and Speakerboxx gathers dust.

pbarnard
09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Set of Rolling Stones tunes: Ruby Tuesday, It's Only Rock and Roll, Sympathy of the Devil, Satisfaction and Paint it Black

Set of Beatles: Yellow Submarine, The Walrus, Ballad of John and Yoko

Jimi Hendrix: All along the watch tower, Voodoo Child and Purple Haze

all on my samsung 950a phone while in the lab playing with photoshop doctoring images.

Blue2th
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Abba's greatest hits?!? :sur:
Actually not that bad if I think about those Swedish girls:love: It's 70's cheeze-ball fun. "SOS" is a good tune with excellent piano-synth playing. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Actually not that bad if I think about those Swedish girls:love: It's 70's cheeze-ball fun. "SOS" is a good tune with excellent piano-synth playing. :thumbsup:
Yes, I love that tune. I think Men Without Hats covered it. The Abba song that I liked the most back in the 70's was probably "Knowing Me Knowing You".

JimJamBonds
09-15-2006, 12:10 PM

I've been listening to Waterloo alot recently, partly due to hearing it in an episode of the Simpsons. :p

jjreason
09-16-2006, 12:06 AM
"The Love Below" is the closest thing we've had to a great Prince Album since "Sign O' The Times", plain and simple. Absolutely glorious... I don't imagine it was "Speakerboxxx" that won the grammy (though I do like a lot of the stuff on there, it's just a good rap album).

LusiferSam
09-22-2006, 12:49 AM
I just bought the new Audioslave disk, Revelations. I've only listened to it once so far, but it's pretty good. I don't think I like nearly as much as their previous album. But I was slow to warm to that one I'll give Revelations some time.

I also bought Adore by Smashing Pumpkins. I've has the song Ava Adore stuck in my head, so I bought the source. I know it's not the most popular Pumpkins disk but I really like it. There's some really great songs on there.

JimJamBonds
09-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I picked up a Johnny Cash greatest hits disk last night, pretty good stuff. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Just one disc? That's not even barely almost starting to scratch the surface.

JimJamBonds
09-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Yeah its just a one disker, I did have the thought that a larger GH would have
been better but I was beeing cheap.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I too, only have a one disc best of Johnny Cash called 16 Biggest Hits.

Blue2th
09-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I need to get that Johnny Cash CD. I wonder if Johnny's version of the Soundgarden tune "Rusty Cage" is on it. As well as the Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor's "Hurt"? I read Trent won't sing it again because he gave it to Cash.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2006, 01:10 AM
I need to get that Johnny Cash CD. I wonder if Johnny's version of the Soundgarden tune "Rusty Cage" is on it. As well as the Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor's "Hurt"? I read Trent won't sing it again because he gave it to Cash.Those aren't on my CD, as it is an older collection of hits.

1. I Walk The Line
2. I Still Miss Someone
3. The Legend Of John Henry's Hammer
4. Don't Take Your Guns To Town
5. In The Jailhouse Now
6. Ring Of Fire
7. Understand Your Man
8. The Ballad Of Ira Hayes
9. Folsom Prison Blues
10. Daddy Sang Bass
11. A Boy Named Sue
12. Sunday Morning Coming Down
13. Flesh And Blood
14. Man In Black
15. One Piece At A Time
16. (Ghost) Riders In The Sky

The CD The Legend Of Johnny Cash would probably be a better choice if you want "Rusty Cage" & "Hurt".

1. Cry! Cry! Cry!
2. Hey Porter
3. Folsom Prison Blues
4. I Walk The Line
5. Get Rhythem
6. Big River
7. Guess Things Happen That Way
8. Ring Of Fire
9. Jackson
10. A Boy Named Sue (Live)
11. Sunday Morning Coming Down
12. Man In Black
13. One Piece At A Time
14. Highwayman
15. The Wanderer
16. Delia's Gone Cash
17. Rusty Cage
18. I've Been Everywhere
19. Give My Love to Rose
20. The Man Comes Around [Early Take]
21. Hurt

Or it might be easier to just pick the songs you want from iTunes.

Blue2th
09-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the songlists MSP. Both CD's have great stuff on them. I grew up listening to Cash, as my father was really in to him. I recognize most of those tunes. I will probably buy the second one first though, but I'll end up getting both. I've got Itunes, but I only use it for one or two hit wonders. Something about having the whole thing with sleeve and artwork appeals to me, if the artist and most of the songs are good like these.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-27-2006, 08:05 AM
The Legend is the only single disc that contains stuff from Columbia and from American Recordings. And the only dedicated "Best of Johnny Cash on American" is only available in the five disc box set Unearthed, which makes no sense.

Too bad The Legend is missing "Highway Patrolman" and "Cocaine Blues."

Rocketboy
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Even thought they are one of my favorite bands, I have very little of The Doors on cd.
The other day I saw The Best of The Doors 2 cd set at Walmart for less than $10, so I grabbed it. Everywhere else I see it, its usually $15-$20.

Great stuff.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Even thought they are one of my favorite bands, I have very little of The Doors on cd.
The other day I saw The Best of The Doors 2 cd set at Walmart for less than $10, so I grabbed it. Everywhere else I see it, its usually $15-$20.

Great stuff.
I have a 2-CD best of the Doors as well. "Break on Through" is probably my favorite Doors tune, but lots of great ones there.

figrin bran
10-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Muse's Blackholes and Revelations

Knights of Cydonia is an awesome song to play on guitar, i might add :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
10-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Aerosmith and Motley Crue tonight (w/ Caesar)! :thumbsup:

dindae
10-06-2006, 08:36 AM
I am still mostly listening to the Grays: "Ro Sham Bo" (their hit was "Very Best Years") I can't believe I missed these guys in 94. A friend of mine turned me on to them. They only had one album. This is the best "alternative" CD I have ever heard. Very few bands of that era have the vocal and instrument talent of these guys. And no one recently except for maybe Queens of the Stone Age. Every song is great. With former Jellyfish member Jason Falkner and Jon Brion who now writes film scores (Magnolia, I heart Huckabees etc.) To catagorize it I would say it's psychadelic Beatles influenced alternative with a more modern sound. Now I have been trying out CD's from these guys solo carreers. I must say Jason Falkner's work is outstanding on his own. Jason Falkner: "Can You Still Feel" is one I'm very glad I bought. You can hear how heavily he infunced the Grays sound. Got "Author Unknown" on the way.:thumbsup:

I'll back you up on this. Definately a good CD. I loved Jellyfish and was really ticked when they broke up. I never saw Jellyfish but I did get to see the Grays and Imperial Drag (another Jellyfish offspring if you haven't checked it out). I never got into the solo careers. I picked up one of Faulkner's album and didn't care for it much at the time.

Aerosmith and Motley Crue tonight (w/ Caesar)! :thumbsup:

I may catch this show when they come to town, but since I don't like going to concerts alone and none of my friends want to go I will have to drag my girlfriend. She likes Aerosmith ok but Crue is not very big on her list and stunt like bringing out topless dancers the last time we saw them doesn't help my case.;)

JimJamBonds
10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
No topless dancers last night... although they were rather scantily clad. Motley was ok, actually Motley was pretty good EXCEPT Vince. I guess the man has no shame since he is fine with "singing" like that. As for the 'smith, great great great!

Blue2th
10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I'll back you up on this. Definately a good CD. I loved Jellyfish and was really ticked when they broke up. I never saw Jellyfish but I did get to see the Grays and Imperial Drag (another Jellyfish offspring if you haven't checked it out). I never got into the solo careers. I picked up one of Faulkner's album and didn't care for it much at the time.

Jellyfish "Bellybutton" is excellent!........You actually saw the Grays? What a rare privilege! Their solo careers don't measure up to that wonderful and only album. The only work that even comes close so far is Jason Falkner "Can You Still Feel" All the other stuff including "Author Unknown" doesn't have the striking melodies/harmonies of "Ro Sham Bo.".... I've heard good things about Imperial Drag. I'll have my friend burn me a CD of them........Another good band from that era is DaDa. Just found "Puzzle" in the used bin at Hastings. Dizzneeland is the hit, but the rest of the album is even better. Not many "Alternative" bands now compare to those bands of the nineties as I've said.... Most of the overplayed-run into the ground "Classic" rock bands I used to listen to (and play in bands) just bore me to tears anymore. I have to go back and dig deep to find stuff I haven't heard a million times. Some of the old Blue Oyster Cult, Wishbone Ash, Early Alice Cooper (pre-solo career) Genesis (pre-fat-head-Phil Collins, post- Peter Gabriel) stuff with Steve Hackett (guitar) is excellent.

figrin bran
10-10-2006, 02:11 AM
i guess only Master Guyate might appreciate this but i went to see Sufjan Stevens tonight and it was the greatest concert i've ever been to. even better than all the times i've seen Sigur Ros. even better the 6 times i've seen Radiohead (i was even in the pit for one of those. it was as if i had died and gone to heaven and not wanting it to end. that's how good it was!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-10-2006, 05:55 AM
i guess only Master Guyate might appreciate this but i went to see Sufjan Stevens tonight and it was the greatest concert i've ever been to. even better than all the times i've seen Sigur Ros. even better the 6 times i've seen Radiohead (i was even in the pit for one of those. it was as if i had died and gone to heaven and not wanting it to end. that's how good it was!!!

Woah woah woah, i'm sure he puts on a great show, but better than Sigur Ros?!?!?!? I can't believe that. Still, i'm sure it was a great show. How many times have you seen Sigur Ros live anyway? My total stands at seven, four of which in Feb and May. Lots o' traveling. ;) and better than Radiohead?!??! C'mon now! :whip:

dindae
10-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Another good band from that era is DaDa. Just found "Puzzle" in the used bin at Hastings. Dizzneeland is the hit, but the rest of the album is even better. Not many "Alternative" bands now compare to those bands of the nineties as I've said.
Another band for that era that I would strongly recommend would be the Judybats. I don't really know if they really had any big hits (since they are local) but their best album would probably Down in the Shack Where the Satellite Dishes Grow. Unfortunately the lead singer had some sort of mental breakdown from what I heard and just when they were taking off commercially. He did reform the band and put out some indie stuff but it's now been a year with no news. Also giving your tastes you may want to check out Better than Ezra and Toad the Wet Sprocket if you haven't already.

figrin bran
10-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Woah woah woah, i'm sure he puts on a great show, but better than Sigur Ros?!?!?!? I can't believe that. Still, i'm sure it was a great show. How many times have you seen Sigur Ros live anyway? My total stands at seven, four of which in Feb and May. Lots o' traveling. ;) and better than Radiohead?!??! C'mon now! :whip:

i've seen Sigur Ros twice. and even though i love Radiohead, i still stand by what i said. :D

JimJamBonds
10-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I've been listening to the Mighty Led Ballon alot over the last week. :thumbsup:

Hellboy
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Muse's Blackholes and Revelations

I love Muse, and B & R is a great album. :thumbsup: I've been listening to this CD off and on since it came out and would say 'Starlight' is easily my favorite track and one of the band's best songs.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm on a massive 1990's kick, playing some "vintage" Smashing Pumpkins (anything pre-MCIS), Radiohead (The Bends & OK Computer), and even some Counting Crows (Recovering the Satellites & August and Everything after). Great stuff. "Siamese Dream" is one of the greatest albums ever and i'll have words with anybody who goes against that. :crazed:

Does anybody else have different music tastes in the winter? I'm finding that as the temps get colder, I resort to older music in my collection, especially that which feels kind of "cold" or whatnot. IE- "OK Computer" in all its chaotic glory.

But oddly enough, Gorillaz and "Demon Days" get played at least once every two days. I can't get enough of this album and it's like what, 17 months old?!?! Great stuff. Gonna buy their action figures next week! wooo wooo!!! :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-20-2006, 01:52 AM
I'm on a massive 1990's kick, playing some "vintage" Smashing Pumpkins (anything pre-MCIS), Radiohead (The Bends & OK Computer), and even some Counting Crows (Recovering the Satellites & August and Everything after). Great stuff. "Siamese Dream" is one of the greatest albums ever and i'll have words with anybody who goes against that. :crazed:You'll get no argument from me on that. I first heard them with Gish, so I quite like that album as well, but too many of the songs on that one sound the same (I Am One, Siva, and Bury Me seem to have very similar riffs). Mellon Collie has a lot of good tunes, but I think in trying to create an epic 2-CD concept album, there ended up being some inconsistency. Adore went a different direction without Jimmy. Machina was a bit of a return to form, but not as consistent as the earlier albums.

Does anybody else have different music tastes in the winter? I'm finding that as the temps get colder, I resort to older music in my collection, especially that which feels kind of "cold" or whatnot. IE- "OK Computer" in all its chaotic glory.I've never noticed any changes in seasonal tastes, other than Christmas tunes.

I happened to see a couple live songs by Kinski on Comcast On Demand, so I put in their CD Alpine Static and listened a couple times last week. A good instrumental album. Something fans of Sonic Youth might like.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-21-2006, 12:10 PM
You'll get no argument from me on that. I first heard them with Gish, so I quite like that album as well, but too many of the songs on that one sound the same (I Am One, Siva, and Bury Me seem to have very similar riffs). Mellon Collie has a lot of good tunes, but I think in trying to create an epic 2-CD concept album, there ended up being some inconsistency. Adore went a different direction without Jimmy. Machina was a bit of a return to form, but not as consistent as the earlier albums.

Yeah, that's my only gripe with "Gish" is that a lot of the songs are similar. To this day, I still love "I am One", "Rhinoceres" and "Crush." All of those are great tunes and "Rhinoceres" is a Pumpkins masterpiece. I have lots of love for "Mellon Collie" and to me, I can't think of one really bad track. There are songs I don't care for ("Tales of a Scorched Earth" comes to mind), but it's one of the few discs I can listen to the whole thing and be content. And I will defend "Adore" till my dying breath; that album was leagues ahead of it's time. I loved it. and "Machina" was a good disc, but it gets too much flack. I saw them on this tour (their last one) and it was awesome. Plus, I got my "Mayonaise" for the closing tune of the night. I think at that moment, I knew they were splitting.

But I digress.

Listening to a copy of Radiohead's show from June 5th of this year in Boston. Very good set! I'm really loving some of these new tracks. The one track, "15 Step" has a very "Idioteque" feel to it and "Arpeggi" is a fantastic tune. I've always been a fan of "Big Ideas, Don't Get any" or as it's sometimes called: "Nude" but i'm not sure if i dig the new sound. The old version I loved in 1999 had more guitar, the organ and xylophone with it and this new version has lots of those removed. Bummer. :sad: However, they did stick to some old classics such "Fake Plastic Trees", the new & improved "Kid A" and "Planet FREAKIN' Telex." I really can't wait for their next CD.

Jayspawn
11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
The new Beatles album "Love" from their musical in Las Vegas comes out in a few weeks. I'm curious as to how its gonna sound. Paul McCartney has a new tour album coming out also. I know that'll sound great as I was there.

dindae
11-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Picked up a few albums last week

The Lemonheads - The Lemonheads I really liked the Lemonheads back in the day but their last album wasn't too hot and Evan's solo album did nothing for me. This album was a nice return to his older sound. It is not on the same level as It's a Shame about Ray or Come on Feel the Lemonheads but I would put it on par with Lovey.

The Killers - Sam's Town This is probably one of my favorite newer bands. While I don't think this album is as good as their first it is still a good album. If you have the option I would pick up the Best Buy version with the bonus single since the two songs on there are good as well.

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Deja Vu Great classic album its amazing how truly great music never gets old. I find that my appreciation for them drop quickly after this album unfortunately.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-03-2006, 12:54 AM
The Killers seem all right, but I'm having trouble getting into new music these days. I guess my attention span is getting shorter and I'm not willing to spend money on something that doesn't win me over quickly. I really like the song "Smile Like You Mean It" and purchased it from iTunes. "Somebody Told Me" is good too. When I was hearing "Mr. Brightside" on Music Choice a lot, I didn't care for it. Listening to a clip on iTunes now, it seems better. I'd probably enjoy the album, but I don't listen to music like I used to.

I was always one who enjoyed albums more than just singles. I enjoyed hearing an entire album with the highs and the lows. While waiting for my favorite songs, I would come to appreciate the other songs on the album as well. Usually, I didn't find too many low points anyway. A good album usually was consistent and the track order usually was such that the album had a good flow to it.

Now that I mainly listen to music on my computer, I rarely listen to an entire CD anymore. Heck, sometimes I don't even listen to an entire song. Plus, most of the songs on my computer are low quality so that I can put them on my internet station and also take up less space on my computer. The bright side to that is that when I take time to listen to the actual CD, I'll enjoy it a lot more.

DarkArtist
11-03-2006, 07:27 AM
The Hum of an extremely loud Computer. I think this thing dates back to when the first computer rolled off the drawing boards.

dindae
11-03-2006, 08:08 AM
The Killers seem all right, but I'm having trouble getting into new music these days. I guess my attention span is getting shorter and I'm not willing to spend money on something that doesn't win me over quickly. I really like the song "Smile Like You Mean It" and purchased it from iTunes. "Somebody Told Me" is good too. When I was hearing "Mr. Brightside" on Music Choice a lot, I didn't care for it. Listening to a clip on iTunes now, it seems better. I'd probably enjoy the album, but I don't listen to music like I used to.

I was always one who enjoyed albums more than just singles. I enjoyed hearing an entire album with the highs and the lows. While waiting for my favorite songs, I would come to appreciate the other songs on the album as well. Usually, I didn't find too many low points anyway. A good album usually was consistent and the track order usually was such that the album had a good flow to it.

Now that I mainly listen to music on my computer, I rarely listen to an entire CD anymore. Heck, sometimes I don't even listen to an entire song. Plus, most of the songs on my computer are low quality so that I can put them on my internet station and also take up less space on my computer. The bright side to that is that when I take time to listen to the actual CD, I'll enjoy it a lot more.

I find getting into new groups a challenge as well. I don't know if it is due to the fact that I own so much music that it hard to get into anything new because I've heard it all before or that bands aren't as good as they once were. I think that a lot of bands struggle to find "their sound". Most bands aren't given the chance to evolve before they are tossed to the curb. If that was done as the norm in the old days there would be so many classic bands that would never have seen the light of day or been dumped after they failed to get a hit on their third album.

I listen mainly to albums as well. But when I'm listening to my computer or my Ipod I will throw it on shuffle.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I hear a lot of stuff that I like, but I'm less likely to buy based on a good song or two anymore. Before, I would buy a CD and give it a listen. Sometimes the first listen would impress me, even from one of my favorite bands. I'd eventually become more familiar with it and would enjoy it more.

Now, I'll hear a song and I'll check out the artist. I'll listen to some sound clips on iTunes or something, but often I won't be as impressed with the whole thing as I am with the first song I heard. In the past, I might have bought the album and come to like it. Now I have excuses not to buy it, such as not wanting to spend the money. These days, I often have more of an interest in trying to get older stuff that I've liked for a long time.

I've created a "Wish List" playlist on iTunes, consisting of a lot of songs, both new and old, that I've found on iTunes. So, I can at least listen to 30 seconds of a lot of great tunes. After my initial buying spree when I first had access to the iTunes store, I've not bought anything in a while. I'm unsure of which songs on the playlist I should get first, because if I feel that I might like the whole album, I'd prefer to get the album rather than just a downloaded track or two. So, I have to choose songs from albums that I'm unlikely to want.

abell748
11-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Since the day it came out, Iron Maiden's new one "A Matter of Life and Death" has rarely been out of the cd player. It is solid and reminds us that they can still kick butt since their 1980 debut record. It also features a really cool Tim Bradstreet cover.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I had the urge to bust out some live Phish this morning; the live two disc set, "A Live One." Probably one of my favorite versions of "The Squirming Coil" with the 7 minute piano jam at the end; gorgeous. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
11-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Been listening to Tenacious D the last few days.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Heard that on the radio recently. Saw the video on Comcast On Demand yesterday. It's freakin' insane, except for the explicit version which I just heard a clip of on iTunes (it's f*ckin' insane instead).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Been listening to Tenacious D the last few days.

I really wish they would put out a new disc! I love the first one and it's been what, YEARS since it came out?!?! But yeah, new disc. We deserve one.

Rocketboy
11-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Yeah, it's been awhile. I think it came out in 2001.
Anyone know if they socnsidering the soundtrack to "The Pick of Destiny" as a new album? On Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Tenacious-D-Pick-Destiny/dp/B000IOM1RI/sr=8-1/qid=1162822954/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0382962-2907933?ie=UTF8&s=music), the track listing appears to be all by the D.

El Chuxter
11-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Right now, I've got an MP3 CD of all the Beatles' studio albums (plus the two "new" tracks from Anthology) on shuffle.

It is quite surreal to hear the following tracks in the following order:

I Want to Hold Your Hand
Please Mister Postman
I'm Happy Just to Dance With You
Love Me Do
Helter Skelter

Slicker
11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I've been on a Beatles kick of late as well. There are some random songs next to each other but it makes things interesting.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I think I am the Fool on the Hill. Or the Nowhere Man. Or someone in Eleanor Rigby.

jjreason
11-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Deja Vu Great classic album its amazing how truly great music never gets old. I find that my appreciation for them drop quickly after this album unfortunately.

Dindae - let me just say this: Neil Young's solo material makes CSN(&Y)'s stuff look like tripe. I couldn't more strongly recommend Neil's 2 disc "Decade" collection - a bit of a best of, but leaving off at approximately 198* or thereabouts. As far as his older albums go, Zuma, After the Goldrush and Harvest are absolute musts.

Oh, did I mention that I'm Canadian? I'm obliged to plug Neil Young whenever someone even barely mentions him in passing. :love:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Dindae - let me just say this: Neil Young's solo material makes CSN(&Y)'s stuff look like tripe. I couldn't more strongly recommend Neil's 2 disc "Decade" collection - a bit of a best of, but leaving off at approximately 198* or thereabouts. As far as his older albums go, Zuma, After the Goldrush and Harvest are absolute musts.

Oh, did I mention that I'm Canadian? I'm obliged to plug Neil Young whenever someone even barely mentions him in passing. :love:I have Decade as well. I believe it only goes through 1977, hence the title. It starts with some Buffalo Springfield stuff and includes "Ohio" by CSNY. I heard "Cinnamon Girl" on the radio today. Great tune. I also like "Mr. Soul" (Buffalo Springfield), "Ohio", "Old Man", "Down By The River" and "The Needle And The Damage Done". While he has a lot of great tunes, he seems to have the luxury to be able to make whatever record he wants, so some of his stuff doesn't appeal to as wide of an audience.

On a different note, years ago I happened to be listening to the House of Blues program on the radio. They played a few old blues songs that would later be done by Led Zeppelin in one form or another. I think I even saw an album that collected a bunch of these tunes in the store once, but passed on buying it at the time. Now I see an album called Zeppelin Classics on allmusic.com, but it was released in 1992 and seems hard to find. Instead, I have tried to find as many of the songs as I can on iTunes. During the process, I also came across a Zeppelin tribute album on iTunes (the only type of Led Zeppelin you'll find there) called Pickin' On Zeppelin. It seems to be entirely instrumental bluegrass versions of Zeppelin tunes. I actually like the sound of it. Kind of a nice, relaxing and fresh way to enjoy some classic tunes. I'm actually considering buying it.

JimJamBonds
11-12-2006, 10:42 AM
... I also came across a Zeppelin tribute album on iTunes (the only type of Led Zeppelin you'll find there) called Pickin' On Zeppelin. It seems to be entirely instrumental bluegrass versions of Zeppelin tunes. I actually like the sound of it. Kind of a nice, relaxing and fresh way to enjoy some classic tunes. I'm actually considering buying it.

There is a Metallica tribute album called Fade to Bluegrass which is quite good. I think there may have put out another but I'm not sure.

dindae
11-12-2006, 06:41 PM

Oh, did I mention that I'm Canadian? I'm obliged to plug Neil Young whenever someone even barely mentions him in passing. :love:

I have Harvest and like it and I will probably pick up Decade at some point but I never liked him as much as CSNY simply because the vocal weren't as strong to me. However I definately feel a strange pull towards Canadian musicians. Rush has always been my #1 favorite band.

jjreason
11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
I was listening to Neil today with my kids, we checked out Harvest and After the Gold Rush. Awesome.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
I have Harvest and like it and I will probably pick up Decade at some point but I never liked him as much as CSNY simply because the vocal weren't as strong to me. However I definately feel a strange pull towards Canadian musicians. Rush has always been my #1 favorite band.I wonder if anyone ever went to see Rush Limbaugh speak and yelled "Play Tom Sawyer!" or something like that. I have Chronicles and Moving Pictures, which is one of my all time favorite albums.

Neil's voice certainly is one of those that you like or can't stand. I recall the first time I heard Dinosaur Jr, I thought that it sounded like a Neil Young tape being eaten up. However, I kind of like the sound of it and a lot of the music was good too.

El Chuxter
11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Harvest Moon is my favorite NY album, though I dearly, dearly love Rust Never Sleeps and Living With War (even without the political slant to the latter).

I got The Black Crowes' The Lost Crowes and Elton John's The Captain and the Kid in the mail earlier this week. The Captain is easily Elton's best in over thirty years, and it boggles my mind how the Band album from The Lost Crowes wasn't released in 1997. Both very highly recommended.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, the new Elton John is pretty awesome. I did love his last album too; "This Train Don't Stop here anymore" is still a fantastic track all around. :thumbsup:

As for right now, i'm listening to some Pearl Jam, one of my favorite albums: 1998's "Yield." It heralds some of their all time best tracks with that ripping guitar in "Brain of J"; the floating rhythms of "Given to Fly" and that part in "Wishlist" when it all comes together, at about the 2:00 minute mark, oh man, PERFECTION. And let's not forget the vicious vocals and lyrics of "Do the Evolution" but still, "Low Light" is GORGEOUS. I have yet to hear it live, but oh day, hopefully, I shall. :thumbsup:

dindae
11-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I wonder if anyone ever went to see Rush Limbaugh speak and yelled "Play Tom Sawyer!" or something like that.
Ah two of my pet peeves not that I am "blowing up" just commenting on things that used to irritate me that your post reminded me of. I used to were a Rush hat all the time in high school right when Lumbaugh was at his largest (popularity not wieght ;)). Everyone would joke that I was a conservative or something lame like that. Second having a band that I really like being reduced to one hit even when they are so much better. There are several bands out there that have been great but since the radio doesn't ever go backwards it seems that most bands either get reduced to one or two songs or fade away altogether. Tom Sawyer is the song I hear 95% of the time on the radio. But there are so many other examples out there that get this treatment.

Neil's voice certainly is one of those that you like or can't stand. I recall the first time I heard Dinosaur Jr, I thought that it sounded like a Neil Young tape being eaten up. However, I kind of like the sound of it and a lot of the music was good too.

LOL I had never thought of Dinosaur Jr that way.

As for right now, i'm listening to some Pearl Jam, one of my favorite albums: 1998's "Yield." It heralds some of their all time best tracks with that ripping guitar in "Brain of J"; the floating rhythms of "Given to Fly" and that part in "Wishlist" when it all comes together, at about the 2:00 minute mark, oh man, PERFECTION. And let's not forget the vicious vocals and lyrics of "Do the Evolution" but still, "Low Light" is GORGEOUS. I have yet to hear it live, but oh day, hopefully, I shall. :thumbsup:

I got to see them live on their Vs. tour. It was a good show with a lot of energy. I have generally lost intrest in them however. I don't know why really I just can't get into much after Vitalogy. On Yeild I liked "Given to Fly" and "Wishlist" but I really couldn't tell you what else was on the album since I was never inclined to listen to it much. But part of the problem is probably that I never hear anything new by them anywhere so I just here the same 4 songs they play on the radio (see complaint above).

Mad Slanted Powers
11-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Second having a band that I really like being reduced to one hit even when they are so much better. There are several bands out there that have been great but since the radio doesn't ever go backwards it seems that most bands either get reduced to one or two songs or fade away altogether. Tom Sawyer is the song I hear 95% of the time on the radio. But there are so many other examples out there that get this treatment.Agreed. Being a fan of Talking Heads, it's kind of annoying to always hear "Take Me To The River" or "Burning Down the House" all the time when there are so many songs I like better. I think the first Rush I remember might have been "Spirit of the Radio". Then of course there was "Tom Sawyer" and "New World Man". I was never really into them that much, but I did have a taped copy of my brother's Moving Pictures LP. I listened to that one quite a bit. I had Permanent Waves on the other side of the tape. It was many years later when I heard "Working Man" for the first time and I really like that tune.

The thing I like most about my internet radio station is being able to play all those deeper tracks that most people don't get a chance to hear. Since not many listen to my station, most of them still don't get to hear them, but if even a few people tune in and get the chance to discover something new, then that is reward enough for me. I've discovered music in much the same way before.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
listening to the new Tenacious D. Decent album, really really really short: 33 minutes? I just wish they would release another ALBUM, cos they had such a massive set of songs on the HBO show days: Spider-Man? Bigfoot?? Where di they go?!?! And KG is kinda not on this album that much, at least from what I've heard so far. But decent disc, kinda disappointing. I was expecting more. :tired:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Bought a bunch from iTunes last week. Twenty songs, a free song, and PJ Harvey - iTunes Originals.

The free song was something outside of what I normally listen to. "Smile" by Lily Allen. A very catchy pop song.

I mentioned that I was looking into songs that were roots of Led Zeppelin tunes. I purchased two: "Dazed and Confused" by Jake Holmes, and "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Joan Baez. Both are just guitar and vocals. "Dazed and Confused" also has a bass as well, and there is some sort of precussion that sounds like tapping on the guitar. The song sounds pretty sparse compared to Zeppelin's version, but still packs a powerful punch. Zeppelin just filled in a lot of the spaces and made it even heavier. "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" is a live performance. Her vocals are very high pitched, almost like an opera singer. Once again, sparse compared to Zeppelin. They added the heavy parts between verses to really make it come alive.

Then I got a few early 80's new wave songs. Gary Numan - "Cars", Thomas Dolby - "She Blinded Me With Science", A Flock of Seaguls - "I Ran", Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and Sparks - "Mickey Mouse". I recall seeing that last song performed on SNL. I rarely got to see SNL back then, but I saw that episode with Danny DeVito hosting twice.

Here are a couple tunes that I used to listen to on an old Goofy Greats LP that I have. The Trashmen - "Surfin' Bird" and Piero Umiliani - "Mah Na Mah Na". Another humorous tune is "Happy Boy" by the Beat Farmers. The local rock station used to play this a lot in the mid 90's. A couple other tunes I remember the station playing from that time are "Character Zero" by Phish and "Where's Summer B?" by Ben Folds Five.

A couple of one hit wonders: Ozark Mountain Daredevils - "Jackie Blue" and the instrumental "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams.

A couple of tunes that I had on a compilation tape: "Halo" by The Cure and "Nobody's" by All.

Finally, a few tunes that I had enjoyed from listening to the alternative channel on Music Choice. Keane - "Is It Any Wonder?", The Crystal Method - "Born Too Slow", Starsailor - "Silence Is Easy", and Doves with "Black and White Town".

Right now I'm listening to the PJ Harvey iTunes thing. It has her talking about the songs. The songs are a mixture of studio versions and new versions performed exclusively for this set. One song that I didn't have was "Uh Huh Her". That was the title of her last album, but it was not on there. I have a live version on DVD, but this is the first version I have on CD. Well, it's not on CD yet, but I'll burn it to a CD soon.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Listening to the Beatles disc, "Love" which is the soundtrack to the Cirque De Soleil show of the same name. It's freakin' awesome. Remixes and new cuts of Beatles tracks all sounding awesome and very well done. This version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" rocks my socks off. This is a definite listen/purchase for every type of beatles fan: crazy one (myself, my folks) and the casual one too. Check it out. oh and the "Blackbird --> Yesterday" mix is FANTASTIC. Well done, George Martin and Co! :crazed:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2006, 12:41 AM
A few years ago, I heard a song while walking through the mall. It was a song from the late 70's I guessed and I had heard it before, but I didn't know who it was, and I didn't know any lyrics to help me find it. I had looked through my Billboard book of Top 40 hits with no luck. I had not heard it on the 70's channel on Music Choice either. One day a couple weeks ago, I stumble across it on iTunes on a list of songs from 1977. The song was "Isn't It Time" by The Babys, a group that had John Waite as the singer. This was one of 40 songs I got from iTunes a week after my last bunch of songs. Here are the rest.

PJ Harvey - "Bows & Arrows", "The Falling" and "The Phone Song" all B-Sides to "The Letter" single.

Sleater-Kinney - "By the Time You're Twenty Five" and "Tapping" from the "Get Up" single.

A few miscellaneous tunes

Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul
Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head
Giorgio Moroder - Chase
Queens of the Stone Age - Go with the Flow
Sam Roberts - Brother Down
Scandal - Beat of a Heart

A bunch of songs that I enjoyed from the Music Choice Alternative channel

AFI - Miss Murder
Beck - E-Pro
Beck - Heaven Hammer (Missing)
Butthole Surfers - Pepper
Depeche Mode - Precious
Editors - Munich
Fall Out Boy - Dance, Dance
Hard-FI - Cash Machine
Incubus - Drive
Interpol - C'mere
Interpol - Slow Hands
Living Things - Bom Bom Bom
Living Things - Bombs Below
Matisyahu - King Without a Crown
Muse - Time Is Running Out
Muse - Hysteria
My Chemical Romance - The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You
Orgy - Blue Monday
Rock Kills Kid - Paralyzed
She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart
Shout Out Louds - The Comeback
Sonic Youth - Bull in the Heather
The Stills - Still in Love Song
The Strokes - Heart in a Cage
The Strokes - Juicebox
311 - Amber
The Zutons - Pressure Point

On top of that, I also got three CDs.

Frank Black - Fast Man Raider Man
Kingsbury Manx - self-titled
Laura Veirs - Year of Meteors

I was a good distance runner in high school and college, and my Dad had a boat called "Raider", so maybe that Frank Black album is about me and my Dad! :yes:

I had heard the Kingsbury Manx song "New Old Friend Blues" back in 2002 while listening to Indie Pop Rocks on somafm.com.

I heard the Laura Veirs song "Galaxies" on the college station one day earlier this year.

JimJamBonds
12-02-2006, 01:04 PM
The hum coming from my computer.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2006, 01:46 PM
The hum coming from my computer.

My new iMac is really quiet so I can barely hear a sound from it.

figrin bran
12-03-2006, 01:01 AM
i'm listening to Sufjan Stevens' "songs for christmas"

Rogue II
12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Last night I was going through my CDs and put in some Queen. Is there a more depressing song by a rock band than "The Show Must Go On"?

dindae
12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I was just thinking of pulling out my Queen CDS. The song isn't so bad in itself but knowing what Freddie was dealing with changes the tone.

figrin bran
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
these days i've been too busy loading songs into the electronic music box device to listen to anything but i've taken time out to listen to some of the new wilco songs that are floating out there in mp3 land.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2006, 11:56 PM
the Star Wars Christmas Album: A Christmas in the Stars.

The horror. I'd rather get beaten with a beer bottle, laced with acid and then forced to mate with a porcupine then endure this disc. So, awful....so bad it's almost good, sorta thing. :crazed:

figrin bran
12-10-2006, 12:40 AM
On top of that, I also got three CDs.

Frank Black - Fast Man Raider Man
Kingsbury Manx - self-titled
Laura Veirs - Year of Meteors

I heard the Laura Veirs song "Galaxies" on the college station one day earlier this year.

how is that Laura Veirs album? i liked the tracks she did on the last Decemberists album (which admittedly wasn't very good)

Mad Slanted Powers
12-10-2006, 12:42 AM
My music splurge continues. BMG had a buy 1 get 4 free, then I also ordered four more through Amazon.

Wolfmother - self-titled. This one rocks. It's kind of like Jack White trying to sing like Robert Plant with Black Sabbath riffs and the occasional Styx-like keyboards (as in "Blue Collar Man", not "Babe").

Chicago - The Very Best Of: Only The Beginning - Mostly interested in the 70's stuff, so most of disc 2 doesn't interest me.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
The Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor
Metric - Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
The Sounds - Dying To Say This To You

The Boomtown Rats - The Fine Art of Surfacing - This was an album my brother had. Listened to it a lot back in the early 80's. Great album.

Angel City - Face to Face - Another album my brother had. This band from Australia was known as the Angels, but had to go by Angel City when they first came to America. They were discovered by AC/DC and toured with them. I'd consider them to be lighter and more upbeat than AC/DC, but they still rocked. When I first looked this up online a few years ago, I discovered it was a combination of a couple Australian releases, so it differed from the original Face to Face release. It didn't seem this version was available. Checked on it recently on allmusic.com and it only showed this version. Found it available on Amazon so I got it. Not a bad track on it.

Now I'll have to stop buying music for a while so I have enough to get Star Wars figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-10-2006, 01:00 AM
how is that Laura Veirs album? i liked the tracks she did on the last Decemberists album (which admittedly wasn't very good)
After hearing "Galaxies", I checked some samples online and the rest of the album wasn't quite like that song, so at first it didn't interest me enough to buy. Then I checked it out again later and it was sounding better. I've not listened enough to know all the songs very well, but I'm sampling them again as I write this. Overall, it's pretty good. It's mellower than most of what I listen to, so it's something I can put on if I want something a bit more relaxing.

If you have iTunes, you can check out samples there. Allmusic.com has Windows Media samples. Her website also has four tracks from the album that you can listen to, and a video for "Galaxies". http://www.lauraveirs.com/laura/view.html. There are links there for videos to two other songs, but they aren't working for me.

figrin bran
12-21-2006, 01:16 AM
i listened to myself mangle up Band of Horses' "Funeral" on gtr. it's really easy to play but i'm sure i don't do it as well as they do.

JimJamBonds
12-23-2006, 10:51 PM
A Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas album... I'm not really sure of the name I think its something like "A Rockin' Christmas."

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2006, 11:57 PM
A Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas album... I'm not really sure of the name I think its something like "A Rockin' Christmas."
Looks like he has two Christmas albums. One is called Boogie Woogie Christmas, the other one is called Dig That Crazy Christmas.

I've been going through iTunes trying to make my own CD of Christmas favorites, however, two of the songs I want aren't there. Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" and Billy Squier's "Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You". Of course, not much of anything by the Beatles or their solo stuff on there.

JimJamBonds
12-24-2006, 11:45 PM
The disk is in my car so I'm not sure what the title is but I can tell you its a 1 disker and it has only Christmas songs on it. I also picked up the dvd Dig That Crazy Christmas.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
:thumbsup:Smashing Pumpkins- Zeitgeist....hehehehehe :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Blue2th
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Tears for Fears "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending"
I can't believe how good this album is. Curt Smith has rejoined Roland Orzabal as the original core members.
Even though alot of, especially the early stuff in the eighties was good, these guys have matured.
Still hearing a bit of Beatles influence which is a good thing. Not one bad cut on this one in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
:thumbsup:Smashing Pumpkins- Zeitgeist....hehehehehe :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yes, I'll have to pick that up this week as well. I've heard "Tarantula", and "Doomsday Clock" played at the end of the Transformers movie.

JetsAndHeels
07-09-2007, 09:26 PM

I definately have to pick that one up tomorrow after work. I have been listening to alot of my SP cd's lately in anticipation for this one.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I definately have to pick that one up tomorrow after work. I have been listening to alot of my SP cd's lately in anticipation for this one.

I put some $$ down on the special edition this morning with the 78 page bonus booklet. Tickets for their tour go on sale this weekend and i'm hoping to God I get a ticket for Columbus. I'm really enjoying the album, but I haven't had time just to lie down and absorb it yet. It's very raw with roaring guitars and distortion. Billy's vocals are still the same and Chamberlain's drumming is always incredible. I don't know how it stacks up against the other SP albums, but i'll soon figure it out. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm just glad we are getting an SP album after so long. From what I have heard it sounds very good.

I am going to get my copy at target..apparently it is like $9.98 or something like that.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm just glad we are getting an SP album after so long. From what I have heard it sounds very good.

I am going to get my copy at target..apparently it is like $9.98 or something like that.

Yeah, there are like four or five "exclusive" versions each with different color cover art and tracks. I think there are like 3-4 bonus tracks amongst the retailers, total. I'm just going to dl those when I get time.

And i'm so incredibly giddy about this release. I enjoyed Zwan and Billy's solo stuff to an extent, but it's good to hear Billy angry again. I've been a SP fan for ages (even have a SP inspired tattoo) and seeing them live doing SP songs will be AMAZING......if i get a ticket. hehehehee. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I didn't know there were different covers. I am sure somebody out there will buy all of them.

I will just get whatever Target offers. I'm too cheap to buy that special deluxe thing you are getting.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
iTunes has a bonus track, and if you pre-order, you get five more tracks that are other bands covering the Pumpkins. You also get a password to buy concert tickets on Ticketmaster.com before the general public. I prefer to have an actual CD, and don't plan on going to the concert, so I'll pass on this offer.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Sk-skip (best I could relate to music instead of ba-bump... maybe shu-shuffle?)

No one's listened to music while here, in over a year! Yowzah. For me, it's Absolute Garbage, the "best of" of that group. Currently track #11 "You Look So Fine" is on, and about to end...

plasticfetish
08-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Mmmm, Garbage is a guilty pleasure of mine. (reminds me... after my Mac just crashed, I forgot to put "2.0" back into iTunes.)

I've been on a big Sigur Rós binge lately. Downloaded their newest thing a bit ago, and I've been looping all 5 of their albums for weeks now.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Mmmm, Garbage is a guilty pleasure of mine. (reminds me... after my Mac just crashed, I forgot to put "2.0" back into iTunes.)

I've been on a big Sigur Rós binge lately. Downloaded their newest thing a bit ago, and I've been looping all 5 of their albums for weeks now.

I've had their newest one for a while too, but I haven't found too much time to get into it yet though. I should as i'm seeing them next month in Detroit. I'm just hoping that they have Amiina with them though as I can't imagine seeing SR without the strings behind them.

For right now, i'm on a huge Radiohead kick as i'm seeing them tonight (Sunday) in Indiana and then tomorrow night in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. It's going to be tiring and put lots of miles on my car, but it's going to be totally worth it; they always put on stellar live shows. If i could just finally hear TRUE LOVE WAITS live, i'd die a happy, happy man. :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
08-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Ahhh... I really wanted to see Radiohead, but they're playing (played?) some huge venue up near Seattle (3 hours away), and I just can't deal with that right now.

Let us know how the show was though... and the Sigur Rós show also. They'll be playing here in Portland in October, so I'm gonna try for that one.

I don't know if you have Comcast, but the Sigur Rós documentary from '06 (Heima) is on the free movie list right now.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Burned Beyond Recognition - Rollins Band

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Zeitgeist by S.P. (was trying to see if I could post at 11:38am while "Doomsday Clock" was playing. No dice.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Freddy's Dead - Curtis Mayfield. Part of my Funk playlist, currently in shuffle mode.

TeeEye7
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm still on my Alison Krauss + Union Station kick.

But I like many types of music. I like a lot of what my son listens to (even though I can't keep up with the number of groups he's into). Who knows what I'll get into next?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Right now (as per the thread title) it's AM 570, a sports talk station. But earlier, I had in Contraband: The Best of Men at Work. I seem to prefer the hits from Cargo to their debut Business as Usual, and I don't even recall hearing about their third album.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Right now (as per the thread title) it's AM 570, a sports talk station. But earlier, I had in Contraband: The Best of Men at Work. I seem to prefer the hits from Cargo to their debut Business as Usual, and I don't even recall hearing about their third album.

I have Business as Usual. That's a good album.

Lately, I've just been listening to the songs I've purchased on iTunes (http://home.comcast.net/~madslantedpowers/iTunes.html).

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Where Do Ya Draw The Line - Dead Kennedys

Part of my metal/punk playlist. It's 30 hours long.

I played my entire SW OT big mix today while working on the Q&A thread, that kinda sucked using up all my SW music in 1 project.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I played my entire SW OT big mix today while working on the Q&A thread, that kinda sucked using up all my SW music in 1 project.When my 3 CD shuffle feature used to work :upset: on my stereo, I'd put in the pre-Prequel soundtracks in, and I figured, if it's been 215+ minutes, any project better be done by then! :D

scruffziller
08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I have been listening to a bunch of stuff from the grunge era lately. Grunge and non-grunge alike. One group in particular, NUDESWIRL.
A band that was not known very well and had only 2 albums. But their self titled in 1995 is huge amongst the folks that were aware of them. Their biggest hit was F-Sharp. Here it is.
http://www.playlist.com/node/43743037

Exhaust Port
08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
2 words, Game Soundtracks!!

I got to thinking about a few old games and how I absolutely loved the music that accompanied each level. It got to the point that I would bring the game CD on the road with me so I could listen to the music in my portable CD player. Unfortunately in my last move all those CD's got ditched. ARGH! Well thanks to some internet searches I came across the albums I was looking for. So the last few weeks I've been listening to the following:

Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy
Heavy Gear
Diablo
Diablo II

MW and HG are by the same artist, Jeehun Hwang. The man does some amazing work and is still in the biz it seems. http://www.jeehun.com/

Wiki even has an entry for his MW work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_2_Soundtrack

scruffziller
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM

I got to thinking about a few old games and how I absolutely loved the music that accompanied each level. It got to the point that I would bring the game CD on the road with me so I could listen to the music in my portable CD player. Unfortunately in my last move all those CD's got ditched. ARGH! Well thanks to some internet searches I came across the albums I was looking for. So the last few weeks I've been listening to the following:

Mechwarrior 2
Heavy Gear
Diablo
Diablo II

MW and HG are by the same artist, Jeehun Hwang. The man does some amazing work and is still in the biz it seems. http://www.jeehun.com/

I love breaking out my Mortal Kombat soundtrack CD every once in ahwhile.

There is a traveling orchestra that does only video game music called Video Games Live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVHGy9XEF9I

Here they are performing the theme to Metal Gear Solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_iAlsLo9k&feature=related

Exhaust Port
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Do you have a Mortal Combat CD from the PC game or are you referring to the movie soundtracks? I have the movie soundtracks but nothing from the game. It seemed that the soundtracks for those movies were more popular than the actual movies. I loved that they releases a second soundtrack for the first movie after the success of the first one. :) Great soundtracks!

scruffziller
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Do you have a Mortal Combat CD from the PC game or are you referring to the movie soundtracks? I have the movie soundtracks but nothing from the game. It seemed that the soundtracks for those movies were more popular than the actual movies. I loved that they releases a second soundtrack for the first movie after the success of the first one. :) Great soundtracks!

I have the video game soundtrack. The Vernon Yard recordings.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I have been listening to a bunch of stuff from the grunge era lately. Grunge and non-grunge alike. One group in particular, NUDESWIRL.
A band that was not known very well and had only 2 albums. But their self titled in 1995 is huge amongst the folks that were aware of them. Their biggest hit was F-Sharp. Here it is.
http://www.playlist.com/node/43743037I remember that song from an episode of Beavis & Butt-Head. Beavis thought it was "Paradise City" at the beginning. I recently put it into an iTunes wishlist.

Mechwarrior 2
Heavy Gear
Diablo
Diablo II

Several years ago I got this game for my Mac called "Battle Gir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Girl)l". It had an awesome techno soundtrack. Pretty good game too.

scruffziller
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I remember that song from an episode of Beavis & Butt-Head. Beavis thought it was "Paradise City" at the beginning. I recently put it into an iTunes wishlist.

Yep, that is where I first heard it too which turned me onto the song.

JediTricks
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
When my 3 CD shuffle feature used to work :upset: on my stereo, I'd put in the pre-Prequel soundtracks in, and I figured, if it's been 215+ minutes, any project better be done by then! :DMy playlist is 188 mins long.

BTW, because it was 11:38am, I put it on again, and Binary Sunset is what I'm playing now (I'm replaying it a second time, it just ended, because of another thread I have in mind).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Ahhh... I really wanted to see Radiohead, but they're playing (played?) some huge venue up near Seattle (3 hours away), and I just can't deal with that right now.

Let us know how the show was though... and the Sigur Rós show also. They'll be playing here in Portland in October, so I'm gonna try for that one.

I don't know if you have Comcast, but the Sigur Rós documentary from '06 (Heima) is on the free movie list right now.

I don't have Comcast, but I have HEIMA on DVD. I was lucky enough to nab the deluxe edition before e-bay ate it up. The Sigur Ros gig next month will be my 8th as they put on some of the most incredible live shows i've ever witnessed. I recommend you get tickets and check it out cos you're missing something damn near magical. And yes, my language is overdramatic, but I don't care. hehehehe :p And the string quartet, Amiina will be with them, so i'm now even more uber pumped about it.

The Radiohead shows were incredible, as always. It was my first batch of RH shows since 03 and they didn't disappoint.

Here was the setlist from the Noblesville, IN show on Sunday:

01. 15 Step
02. Bodysnatchers
03. There There
04. All I Need
05. Pyramid Song
06. Nude
07. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
08. The Gloaming
09. Climbing Up the Walls
10. Faust Arp
11. Videotape
12. Morning Bell
13. Idioteque
14. Reckoner
15. Everything in Its Right Place
16. Just
17. How to Disappear Completely

Encore 1

18. You and Whose Army?
19. Bangers 'n' Mash
20. Exit Music (For a Film)
21. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
22. Karma Police

Encore 2

23. House of Cards
24. The National Anthem
25. Street Spirit

I've heard pretty much every RH song i've wanted to hear live, MINUS "True Love Waits" (which burns my soul actually). I finally heard "Fake Plastic Trees" at Alpine and this is the first time i've seen the guys with their IN RAINBOWS material, so i was excited to see what the set would be. The new stuff is really great live with 15 Steps being the perfect opener. They seemed to have sped up Weird Fishes and it sounds great and Thom and Jonny playing Faust Arp guitar to guitar by themselves is great to behold. I'm still not a fan of All I Need, but what can ya do?

I would have to say that my favorite highlight was without a doubt "How to Disappear Completely" as I had not heard it since my first Radiohead show in 2001. This is one of my favorite tracks ever for many personal reasons and if you're reading this and don't know it, i suggest you download it ASAP. It was great to hear some of the more random tracks such as the above mentioned, along with "Exit Music," "Climbing Up the Walls" and "Just."

Here is the setlist from the show in Cuyahoga Falls, OH on the next night, the 4th of August:

01 15 Step
02 There There
03 Morning Bell
04 All I Need
05 Pyramid Song
06 Nude
07 Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
08 The Gloaming
09 The National Anthem
10 A Wolf At The Door
11 Faust Arp
12 Exit Music (For A Film)
13 Jigsaw Falling Into Place
14 Idioteque
15 Climbing Up The Walls
16 Bodysnatchers
17 How To Disappear Completely

ENCORE I
18 Videotape
19 Paranoid Android
20 Dollars & Cents
21 Reckoner
22 Street Spirit (Fade Out)

ENCORE II
23 House Of Cards
24 Lucky
25 Everything In Its Right Place

A hefty dose of repeats from the previous show, but holy s---, look at the new tracks: WOLF AT THE DOOR, LUCKY, DOLLARS AND CENTS and PARANOID ANDROID?!?!!???!! WOLF was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE shocker as was D&Cs. The audience went INSANE at the opening chords to Wolf at the Door and at the opening drums of Dollars.

It was a pretty tiring few days due to the travels, junk food, and the 720 miles I put on my car, but i'd do it again in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
08-08-2008, 12:34 AM
JMG, I'll be going to my 7th and 8th Radiohead shows in a few weeks =)

I know they've been soundchecking Portishead's "The Rip" and there's even recordings and videos floating out there but it would be great if they had it in their set. I was able to go to one of their shows back in 06 when they were still fine tuning the In Rainbows songs and truth be told, Videotape was better back then. "All I Need" is awesome, how could you not like it? :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
JMG, I'll be going to my 7th and 8th Radiohead shows in a few weeks =)

I know they've been soundchecking Portishead's "The Rip" and there's even recordings and videos floating out there but it would be great if they had it in their set. I was able to go to one of their shows back in 06 when they were still fine tuning the In Rainbows songs and truth be told, Videotape was better back then. "All I Need" is awesome, how could you not like it? :p

Nice FB!! You're in for a treat cos they're on their game for this tour.....then again, they always are. hehehehe These were my 4th and 5th shows and i'm anxious to add more to that list.

And VIDEOTAPE live is pretty enjoyable; Phil adds in the drums and it feels a bit more flushed out, but at the same time it's just as gorgeous. And I dunno about All I Need, it's just not my fave song off the album. I'll be honest in saying that I always preferred the more "rock" version of "Nude" or as I knew it, "Big Ideas (Don't get Any)" with the roaring guitar and xylophone at the end, but the new version quickly grew on me. Enjoy your shows!

A 45 minute Sigur Ros show from the Museum of Modern Art in NY is online; i'm so excited about this show in a few weeks!!! http://current.com/items/89173668_sigur_r_s_moma :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 03:11 PM
SW: Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. Never realized just how similar it is to TPM, and since there were only three years between the two, wonder if Williams was noticeably or subconsciously influenced by McNeely's score. [this was from 1:11pm today]

[edit]Changed CDs, so should add to this. Totally Awesome 80s Mix Tape. That in itself is tame, but in Windows Media Player (of which I have never saved any playlists) it's showing as The Best of Howard Jones (which I do own, and have played in WMP, but not for a long time, and I've played other CDs since then). Case in point: Frida's "I Know There's Somethign Going On" (track 9) is playing, but the computer says it's "Hide and Seek" by Mr. Jones. :confused: Deus ex machina pehaps? (and not by the Smashing Pumpkins)

figrin bran
08-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Nice FB!! You're in for a treat cos they're on their game for this tour.....then again, they always are. hehehehe These were my 4th and 5th shows and i'm anxious to add more to that list.

And VIDEOTAPE live is pretty enjoyable; Phil adds in the drums and it feels a bit more flushed out, but at the same time it's just as gorgeous. And I dunno about All I Need, it's just not my fave song off the album. I'll be honest in saying that I always preferred the more "rock" version of "Nude" or as I knew it, "Big Ideas (Don't get Any)" with the roaring guitar and xylophone at the end, but the new version quickly grew on me. Enjoy your shows!

A 45 minute Sigur Ros show from the Museum of Modern Art in NY is online; i'm so excited about this show in a few weeks!!! http://current.com/items/89173668_sigur_r_s_moma :thumbsup:

JMG,

you know what? I got KOTCS'ed at tonight's Radiohead show, the first of 2 that I'm going to. It's devastating because they are supposedly to me as Sigur Ros is to you.

Rather than enjoying the set, I spent all of it trying to fight off the olfactory and auditory assault on my sense. The olfactory was from all the smoke inhalation. Cigarettes are bad enough on me but certain recreational substances are even worse. I was choking and coughing so much that I nearly wanted to start fistfights with the people lighting up around me.

The auditory assault came from the horrendous sound quality. It would be inexcusable at an in store performance at my local record store and definitely inexcusable at a world renowned venue like the Hollywood Bowl. It seemed like the sound techs had no idea what they were doing and the volume and EQ levels of all the instruments fluctuated wildly at times. I guess it didn't seem to bother other people but to me it was tantamount to the proverbial nails on the chalkboard.

Videotape with Phil's added drums would've been great if the drum sounds didn't fluctuate so much. While drummers do not always hit with the exact same velocity every time, it's still very consistent and the only time it peaks is when it's within the context of the musical phrase. However, those brilliant sound techs managed to muck it up badly. It definitely did sound like a lot of playing around with volume and EQ levels and while I did sit towards the back, I've been to other shows at this venue, rock shows even (previous Radiohead tours and Arcade Fire and Flaming Lips) and never noticed the sound problems that I did tonight.

Wolf at the Door was perhaps the best that I've ever heard that song live but no thanks to the sound problems, just about everything else felt lackluster. I left the show feeling the same way that I did after seeing KOTCS, hence my reference to that in the first sentence. The setlist was identical to your Cuyahoga one btw.

Also I got really annoyed with people talking during Exit Music and How to Disappear and also it would often take them a minute to realize what song's intro they were hearing and then they start cheering. It kind of makes me long for the Sigur Ros crowds, at least here in LA, where there is this reverent blanket of silence throughout the set.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your upcoming SR show more that I did my RH show tonight! Actually, I'm sure you will as I've seen them with Amina before and it's not something easily described in words. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
08-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm trying to listen to as much of the new Metallica that has come out as possible. This Saturday I'm going to see Betallica a strange Metallica/Beatles cover type band so I'm listening to them to get me in the mood.

JediTricks
08-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Desire - Ozzy Osbourne, No More Tears

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
JMG,

you know what? I got KOTCS'ed at tonight's Radiohead show, the first of 2 that I'm going to. It's devastating because they are supposedly to me as Sigur Ros is to you.

Rather than enjoying the set, I spent all of it trying to fight off the olfactory and auditory assault on my sense. The olfactory was from all the smoke inhalation. Cigarettes are bad enough on me but certain recreational substances are even worse. I was choking and coughing so much that I nearly wanted to start fistfights with the people lighting up around me.

The auditory assault came from the horrendous sound quality. It would be inexcusable at an in store performance at my local record store and definitely inexcusable at a world renowned venue like the Hollywood Bowl. It seemed like the sound techs had no idea what they were doing and the volume and EQ levels of all the instruments fluctuated wildly at times. I guess it didn't seem to bother other people but to me it was tantamount to the proverbial nails on the chalkboard.

Videotape with Phil's added drums would've been great if the drum sounds didn't fluctuate so much. While drummers do not always hit with the exact same velocity every time, it's still very consistent and the only time it peaks is when it's within the context of the musical phrase. However, those brilliant sound techs managed to muck it up badly. It definitely did sound like a lot of playing around with volume and EQ levels and while I did sit towards the back, I've been to other shows at this venue, rock shows even (previous Radiohead tours and Arcade Fire and Flaming Lips) and never noticed the sound problems that I did tonight.

Wolf at the Door was perhaps the best that I've ever heard that song live but no thanks to the sound problems, just about everything else felt lackluster. I left the show feeling the same way that I did after seeing KOTCS, hence my reference to that in the first sentence. The setlist was identical to your Cuyahoga one btw.

Also I got really annoyed with people talking during Exit Music and How to Disappear and also it would often take them a minute to realize what song's intro they were hearing and then they start cheering. It kind of makes me long for the Sigur Ros crowds, at least here in LA, where there is this reverent blanket of silence throughout the set.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your upcoming SR show more that I did my RH show tonight! Actually, I'm sure you will as I've seen them with Amina before and it's not something easily described in words. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the smoke and schmuckery of some members of the audience. All of the outdoor venues here are smoke free, or at least they are in the pavillion, which is where I always sit. Shame that folks were talking during exit music or HTD; there were a handful of folks doing that out here, but they were quickly silenced.

And that's insane about the sound! You think they would have noticed or something. I do hope the second night at the Bowl was better for you! :thumbsup:

I had my SR show last night!!

Got into detroit about 2 hours before the doors opened and got into the pre-sale Livenation ticket line, which was great as they let us in before the huge ticketmaster line that stretched for blocks. It was great though as when we were standing outside, Jonsi came by on his bike, wearing this huge grin when he saw the crowd gathering. He biked within a few inches of us and we all said hello and in his gentle icelandic accent, he said, "hello, hi. hi hi." and waved before continuing biking around downtown. Cool stuff!

Here was the setlist:
Svefn-G-Englar
Glósóli
Ny Batteri
E-bow
Fljótavík
Viđ Spilum Endalaust
Hoppípolla -->
Meo Blódnasir
Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur
Festival
Svo Hljótt
Heysátan
Sćglópur
Hafsól
Gobbledigook
---
Popplagid

Very eccletic setlist, but also really damned good. I hadn't heard Svefn since 02, so this was huge for me. The band seemed really, I dunno, "raw" tonight, or as raw as an icelandic ambient band can be. Jonsi was all over the stage and I don't even know how many bow's he ripped up. They didn't have the brass or strings with them, which did hurt a few songs a bit. Hopp--> Meo felt a bit empty without the strings towards the end of Hopp and the end of Saeg could have gone either way.

The band did fill in some of the gaps though, using loops, distortion and whatnot. Jonsi did a great number at the end of Saeg on his guitar, which was nice. There was also a great amount of crowd interaction, with the band asking us to sing the background vocals in Meo and to clap and do the background "la la la la" during Gobbl. Plus, they had three members of Parachutes all pounding drums (the name eludes me, but the ones you'd see being used on a battlefield march?) which was awesome.

They had on the wackiest outfits as Jonsi had a black (what appeared to be) boat captain outfit, Orri (drummer) had a crown on, Georgg (bass) had a 1920's suit and hat and Kjarri (keyboards, vocals, guitar, etc, etc) had a sports jacket on. I'm used to seeing them in shirts and jeans, so this was a welcome surprise.

The crowd was really energetic during the interactive parts and lots of cheering. One a-- kept yelling random stuff and I hope great harm comes to him.

Overall, it was a really fantastic show that did not disappoint. SR never cease to amaze me and tonight was no different.

:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I've been listening to two leaked tracks from Scott Weiland's upcoming solo album like crazy the last few days.
And the album won't be out for two months yet!
I'm really hoping the whole album gets leaked well before that.

JediTricks
09-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones. Part of my 4 hour Rolling Stones playlist.

plasticfetish
09-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones. Part of my 4 hour Rolling Stones playlist.Now you're talkin! Hey... do you have that "The Singles Collection: The London Years" set?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and JMG... I'm really jealous about the Sigur Ros show. As is typical, I missed out and couldn't get tickets in time. (Lame.)

scruffziller
09-26-2008, 07:26 AM
STYX- Greatest Hits!!!!

They performed a free concert in Ames, IA; for flood relief charity. My brother went and saw them, lucky bastard. His girlfriend in college and him had Mr. Roboto as "their" song. Unfortunately, they did not play it because Dennis DeYoung owned the rights to it. And he took them when he left the band. But, I saw somewhere he was playing with them on June 13, 2008. So I don't know what the deal was.:confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I have a Styx greatest hits CD. It had the 95 version of "Lady", which was actually a pretty re-recording that sounded pretty close to the original. A while back iTunes put the complete Wooden Nickel recordings on there, and I downloaded the original version of "Lady". Great tune.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Billy Joel's theme to Bosom Buddies. "I never said you had to... don't get me wrong!... Leave me alone!"

I've been hearing a lot of Fleetwood Mac, so next coupon I get to a store, might have to pick up their greatest hits CD. Wasn't that up there once with the Eagle's one for all-time sellers?

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Billy Joel's theme to Bosom Buddies. "I never said you had to... don't get me wrong!... Leave me alone!"

I've been hearing a lot of Fleetwood Mac, so next coupon I get to a store, might have to pick up their greatest hits CD. Wasn't that up there once with the Eagle's one for all-time sellers?According to http://www.classicbands.com/bestsellers.html, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is in the top 10. No mention of the greatest hits. That appears to be just in the U.S. though. This wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide) has worldwide totals. Rumours doesn't rank quite as high there.

Blue2th
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM

I've been hearing a lot of Fleetwood Mac, so next coupon I get to a store, might have to pick up their greatest hits CD. Wasn't that up there once with the Eagle's one for all-time sellers?

If you are going to get any Fleetwood Mac albums with Lindsay Buckingham and Stievie Nicks, both of the first two ones "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" every track is good and most of the hits are on both. It's much better than buying the Greatest Hits. There are some good songs on "Tusk" though.

Myself, I used to listen to a lot of the early stuff as well as those two. They had many albums with different guitarists/ singers who wrote and played some really cool stuff along with original members Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Bob Welch:
Miles Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z6jPru9dFc
Hypnotized:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED0NqZthwrI

Peter Green:
Who wrote the original version of Green Manalishi remade by Judas Priest
Green Manalishi:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBQdXv0BhM

Danny Kirwin:
Bare Trees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxwe8F90X8

Mad Slanted Powers
09-27-2008, 03:52 PM
If you are going to get any Fleetwood Mac albums with Lindsay Buckingham and Stievie Nicks, both of the first two ones "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" every track is good and most of the hits are on both. It's much better than buying the Greatest Hits. There are some good songs on "Tusk" though.

Myself, I used to listen to a lot of the early stuff as well as those two. They had many albums with different guitarists/ singers who wrote and played some really cool stuff along with original members Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Bob Welch:
Miles Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z6jPru9dFc
Hypnotized:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED0NqZthwrI

Peter Green:
Who wrote the original version of Green Manalishi remade by Judas Priest
Green Manalishi:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBQdXv0BhM

Danny Kirwin:
Bare Trees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxwe8F90X8

That reminds me that I've been wanting to get those three Bob Welch hits, "Ebony Eyes", "Sentimental Lady" and "Precious Love". I was thinking that I didn't see them on iTunes last time I checked, but they are there now. In fact the first review listed for French Kiss appears to be a review by Bob Welch himself telling people to go to his website (it didn't list the website though). The review he posted for Three Hearts refers people to the Pickens' Plan website.

Edit - I also see a greatest hits album on there that are re-recordings, and he has a long review explaining why he thinks these versions are better using some audiophile techno-jargon.

Blue2th
09-27-2008, 10:25 PM
That reminds me that I've been wanting to get those three Bob Welch hits, "Ebony Eyes", "Sentimental Lady" and "Precious Love". I was thinking that I didn't see them on iTunes last time I checked, but they are there now. In fact the first review listed for French Kiss appears to be a review by Bob Welch himself telling people to go to his website (it didn't list the website though). The review he posted for Three Hearts refers people to the Pickens' Plan website.

Edit - I also see a greatest hits album on there that are re-recordings, and he has a long review explaining why he thinks these versions are better using some audiophile techno-jargon.

French Kiss the whole album was not too bad when it first hit.
I remember Welch played most all the instruments on it, and had gotten some of Fleetwood Mac, to help out with the backing vocals. "Sentimental Lady" was actually done by Welch on an earlier Mac album.

JediTricks
10-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Kill You - Dethklok

Face Fisted - Dethklok (I'm playing the whole deluxe album in shuffle)

Now you're talkin! Hey... do you have that "The Singles Collection: The London Years" set?I don't, the only Stones greatest hits I have so far is "Through the Past Darkly" (a greatest hits album in 1969, and here we are 40 years later and they're still cutting new material - amazing!)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Non-music... interview of ex-baseball player Tim Salmon on the PMS Show on sports talk radio station... now it's a "commercial" for the Tovada [sp?] Tequila Thunderbird... baaugh!

JediTricks
10-08-2008, 02:41 AM
Flash Light - Parliament, part of my Funk playlist. I actually was listening to a different playlist but grew tired of it so I let shuffle decide what I was to listen to.

plasticfetish
10-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Treasure - Cocteau Twins

LusiferSam
10-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Some reason I've been really digging Green River. So I bought Dry as Bone/Rehab Doll early this week. I also pick up on a total impulse Metallica's Death Magnetic. I had no intention of getting the physical CD, but the cover art did it for me. I'm really enjoying both.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Some reason I've been really digging Green River. So I bought Dry as Bone/Rehab Doll early this week. I also pick up on a total impulse Metallica's Death Magnetic. I had no intention of getting the physical CD, but the cover art did it for me. I'm really enjoying both.

I have that Green River CD. I knew of them, but didn't really hear them until I got the CD a couple years ago. Of course, from that band came Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, and Pearl Jam.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
The lady and I got tickets to see the Smashing Pumpkins in Cleveland on 11/01 a few weeks ago, so i've been listening to alot of my SP stuff. And then on Thursday SP announced they were doing a special Halloween Acoustic show in Columbus on 10/31. So we got tickets to that show too. I just couldn't pass up the chance to see an acoustic show, especially on Halloween. I just hope the band dresses up, that would be cool. Especially if Ginger wears something nifty. :lipsrsealed:

plasticfetish
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Dig Out Your Soul - Oasis

Blue2th
10-14-2008, 09:55 AM
"I'm not in Love" 10CC

Classic song way ahead of it's time. It's been in my head for days.

"Big boys don't cry...big boys don't cry"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIiWBPdhPH8

Mad Slanted Powers
10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
"I'm not in Love" 10CC

Classic song way ahead of it's time. It's been in my head for days.

"Big boys don't cry...big boys don't cry"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIiWBPdhPH8

I got that song from iTunes as well as their song "The Things We Do For Love." Tori Amos covered "I'm Not in Love" on her Strange Little Girls album.

Blue2th
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I got that song from iTunes as well as their song "The Things We Do For Love." Tori Amos covered "I'm Not in Love" on her Strange Little Girls album.

Yeah Tori did a nice job on that song, though kinda simplified it.
I read all that lush airy synth vocal sound in the song was painstakingly done with vocals dubbed over and over, and looped, faded in and out of the song.

I thought for sure it was a synthesizer, but they didn't have anything like that in 1975, except a monophonic Moog, which they used but couldn't do chords.

Quite an achievement considering the technology they had in the day that we take for granted now, and is easily attainable with today's instruments and digital recording equipment.
Geniuses.

DarkArtist
11-06-2008, 01:20 PM
listening to Scott & Todd's Studio Sessions Cd from WPLJ radio. pretty decent CD so far.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Bought a compilation CD from Target, Old School Hip Hop, and "The Breaks" by Kurtis Blow is on. But how can House of Pain or MC Lyte be considered "old school?"

[edit]Now it's Digable Planets' "Rebirth of Cool (Cool Like Dat)," which was one of the reasons why I bought this, and the other is the next track, "Me, Myself, & I."

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Bought a compilation CD from Target, Old School Hip Hop, and "The Breaks" by Kurtis Blow is on. But how can House of Pain or MC Lyte be considered "old school?"Perhaps because they had their biggest hits over 15 years ago.

[edit]Now it's Digable Planets' "Rebirth of Cool (Cool Like Dat)," which was one of the reasons why I bought this, and the other is the next track, "Me, Myself, & I."I bought "Rebirth of Slick" from iTunes, but I don't know the other track. I have a track by that name on on Vitamin C's first CD. I liked her better when she was was rocking out in Eve's Plum.

I've been creating wish lists in iTunes that group two adjacent years together. My 70's lists are pretty full, but I haven't really found a lot from the late 80's and early 90's, and a fair amount of it is rap. There were some good tracks on that Judgment Night soundtrack. My favorite probably being "Missing Link" by Del the Funky Homosapien & Dinosaur Jr. The Helmet and House of Pain song "Just Another Victim" is another one I bought from iTunes.

JediTricks
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I am listening to Raw Power by Iggy & the Stooges (the Iggy Pop remix).

House of Pain and MC Lyte are not Old School, despite being 15 years old. They are well after Old School, and House of Pain is after the golden era of hip hop. If it don't sound like Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, The Fat Boys, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, or the Sugarhill Gang, it ain't Old School. If it doesn't sound like Biz Markie, Public Enemy, Heavy D & the Boyz, Kid & Play, Salt-n-Peppa, LL Cool J, Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff, Schooly D, NWA, Beastie Boys, or Ultramagnetic MCs, it ain't Golden Age. MC Lyte kinda skirts Golden Age, but only barely.

Lord Malakite
11-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm currently listening to "The Fly" by the Dave Matthews Band. :thumbsup:

When I pull the wings off of the fly
The fly never wonders why I did it
The fly never wonders why I did
You know they didn't ever
Have to love me
No, no, no

And no one ever will
Love them now
Oh, oh, but they
They always wanted somehow
To save me
Why, oh, why
For pity's sake, they should've saved themselves
Oh, oh, but you

You always said I never missed a note
I only ever wanted to be with you

I only wanted someone to play
Play, play, play
When I pull the wings off the fly
The fly never wonders why
You know they never really ever had to love me
No, no, no

But no one will ever love them now
Oh, oh, but they
They always thought that somehow they could save me
But why oh why
For pity's sake me, they should've saved themselves
but you
you always said I never missed a note
and nobody ever knew me like you do, you do

You always said it's gonna be ok, ok
I only ever really wanted to be with you
I only wanted someone to play, play, play, play
The fly never wonders why I did it

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh, DMB. I used to LOVE them in high school and then "Everyday" came out and the band went to crap in a basket. :(

I saw Bob Dylan last weekend in MI, so i'm on a huge Dylan kick. Been listening to "The Time's they a changin'" and "the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" a lot. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
11-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Flash Light - Parliament (part of my 3hr Funk playlist)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-13-2008, 10:51 PM
House of Pain and MC Lyte are not Old School, despite being 15 years old. They are well after Old School, and House of Pain is after the golden era of hip hop. If it don't sound like Run DMC, Kool Moe Dee, The Fat Boys, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, or the Sugarhill Gang, it ain't Old School. If it doesn't sound like Biz Markie, Public Enemy, Heavy D & the Boyz, Kid & Play, Salt-n-Peppa, LL Cool J, Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff, Schooly D, NWA, Beastie Boys, or Ultramagnetic MCs, it ain't Golden Age. MC Lyte kinda skirts Golden Age, but only barely.BTW, here's the playlist from that CD:
* = songs I like
+ = songs I'd consider truly "old school"
+1. Sugarhill Gang "Rapper's Delight"
*+2. Run DMC "It's Tricky"
+3. Salt-N-Pepa "Push It"
*4. Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance" (this might be a late-old schooler)
5. Coolio "Fantastic Voyage"
6. House of Pain "Jump Around"
*+7. Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock "It Takes Two"
+8. The Fat Boys "The Fat Boys Are Back"
9. MC Lyte "Ruffneck"
+10. Kurtis Blow "The Breaks"
11. L'Trimm "Cars With the Boom"
+12. Grandmaster Flash "The Message"
*13. Rebirth of Soul" Digable Planets
*14. De la Soul "Me, Myself and I"
15. Queen Latifah "Ladies First"
16. Kid N' Play "Rollin' With Kid N' Play"
17. Naughty By Nature "Hip Hop Hooray"

Was suprised at the lack of Beastie Boys, Kool Moe Dee, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, etc. but there can be future CDs, I guess.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Of those songs, I've purchased the following from iTunes:

Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance"
House of Pain "Jump Around"
Grandmaster Flash "The Message"
Rebirth of Soul" Digable Planets (Actually, it is called "Rebirth of Slick")

I don't have "It's Tricky" by Run-DMC, but I do have "You Be Illin'" and "Rock Box".

Other rap songs I've purchased from iTunes (at least it says Hip-Hop/Rap in the genre field):

"Welcome to Seattle" - Boom Bap Project
"Missing Link" - Del the Funky Homosapien & Dinosaur Jr.
"Language of Violence" - Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
"Handlebars" - Flobots
"Just Another Victim" - Helmet & House of Pain
"Hey Ya!" - OutKast
"Lady Venom" - Swollen Members
"Steppin' to the A.M." - 3rd Bass

Plus I have CD's by Beastie Boys and Public Enemy.

JediTricks
11-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Push It is from '87 and has a polished, dance sound that doesn't say old school to me. Humpty Dance, while a fun song, is from '90. It Takes Two is from '88, and while it has a bit of the old school feel, I couldn't classify it as such. The rest of those are proper classified as old school or not (from a technical standpoint as well as a sound, since that era is late '70s to the culture renaissance that was 1984). If they had classified this album as golden age hip hop, it would have made a lot more sense.

Surprised you don't like Rapper's Delight tho'.

I am listening to my PC tower fan.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Of those songs...

Rebirth of Soul" Digable Planets (Actually, it is called "Rebirth of Slick")I must've been looking at De La Soul, and transposed the name. Therefore, I owe a BSLOS, in a different genre, for my mistake:

"Cause I need to know
Girl you gotta let me know
Which way to go
'Cause I need to know
I need to know
Tell me baby girl
'Cause I need to know
I need to know
I need to know
Tell me baby girl
'Cause I need to know..."

Surprised you don't like Rapper's Delight tho'.I don't dislike it, it's just not my fave.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Irony alert: am listening to The Best of Depeche Mode, Vol. 1 right now, specifically my favorite DP song, "Enjoy the Silence."

only... if you... think about... the... irony...

Mad Slanted Powers
11-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Now that you mention silence, I decided to listen to "Silence Is Easy" by Starsailor.

Blue2th
11-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Sorry to interrupt

Led Zeppelin III

Kinda the dark horse album by them, I haven't listened to in a long time except for Immigrant Song which I've heard too many times. I just skip that one.
The rest is like amazing. I can't think of a singer now that could sing like Plant on that album, except for maybe a girl like Kelly Clarkson with the range and inflection to handle it.

Like to see somebody do "Since I've been lovin' you" now. Not many could.

Depech Mode is excellent. I like the "Policy of Truth"... so true.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Sorry to interrupt

Depech Mode is excellent. I like the "Policy of Truth"... so true.No need to apologize; this is about what you are listening to musically, not really listening to/reading in this thread. "P.o.T." is my 2nd favorite DP song, but sadly it's not on this compilation CD. I used to think it said "upon a sea of truth."

Mad Slanted Powers
11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I was never really all that into Depeche Mode, but I did buy the song "Precious" from iTunes. It got a lot of play on the Music Choice Alternative station and I was listening to that channel a lot at the time.

Qui-Long Gone
11-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Has anyone else heard of pandora's radio.com? A great site for setting up a "station" of music you like.

My list ranges from U2, Johnny Cash, Ryan Adams, Rusted Root, and Waylon Jennings....with some Robert Earl King Jr., Alison Kraus, and Waron Zevon to boot!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes, I've tried Pandora. Been a while since I used it, but I discovered some cool music that way.

sith_killer_99
11-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I am currently listening to "Change We Can Believe In" by Barack Obama on audio book...as I type this. lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-20-2008, 08:42 PM
The Killers new disc- "Day and Age." I'm REALLY liking it thus far; i just couldn't get into "Sam's Town." This is pretty solid from what i've gotten through! :thumbsup:

DarkArtist
11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
currently listening to David Cook's CD's. pretty decent so far, really haven't had a chance to just sit and listen to it though.....maybe over the weekend.

i have his first CD that he released some time ago called Analog Heart - really good CD.

JediTricks
11-21-2008, 04:49 PM
ANH - The Throne Room + End Title. It's the end of my 3-hour SW big playlist that I've been playing since 11:38am. It's in film order except for this track, which I feel is the ONLY way to properly close a Star Wars playlist. None of the other closing tracks come anywhere near to this one's impact.

After this, I'll put on KNAC.com, need me some metal!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Pure 80's compilation, track 3, Wang Chung "Everybody Have Fun Tonight." Tough music video to watch back in the day, but the best song that includes the band's name in it (yes, even better than Living in a Box's "Living in a Box" :p ).

[edit] Now it's my favorite song on the CD: Level 42 "Something About You."

Mad Slanted Powers
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Pure 80's compilation, track 3, Wang Chung "Everybody Have Fun Tonight." Tough music video to watch back in the day, but the best song that includes the band's name in it (yes, even better than Living in a Box's "Living in a Box" :p ).

[edit] Now it's my favorite song on the CD: Level 42 "Something About You."I bought the Level 42 song from iTunes, but the only Wang Chung song I bought was "Dance Hall Days." Also from around that time, for some reason I associate it with the Level 42 song, is The Dream Academy with "Life in a Northern Town."

DarkArtist
11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
well since it's the Holiday season i dusted off some of my CD's and I'm currently listening to the Trans Siberian Orchestra "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" - going to see them on the 13th. they put on an amazing show.:thumbsup:

Slicker
11-27-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm listening to Christmas music from WHNN.com. :love:

It sucks though that I'm stuck on the boat for Thanksgiving...and then for Christmas...:(

Rocketboy
11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
It sucks though that I'm stuck on the boat for Thanksgiving...and then for Christmas...:(The bright side...A lot of people pay to take holiday cruises. You're getting paid to take one.

I've been listening to the Best Buy exclusive double disc version of Scott Weiland's new album "Happy In Galoshes."
Amazing stuff.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-27-2008, 11:23 AM
If only it were a gravy boat.

JimJamBonds
11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
'Wolfgang's Big Night Out' by the Brian Setzer Orchestra

Bel-Cam Jos
12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Everything Is Possible: The Very Best of Living Colour, specifically "Middle Man" track #5.

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Yellow Machinegun
Slayer
The Queers
The Nobodys
Prong
Teenage Bottlerocket
The Lillingtons
The Ramones
Bad Religion
Mxpx
.......you Get The Idea

Oh!...almost Forgot..not Really...
D.r.i.
Final Conflict
Vio-lence
Voivod

Mad Slanted Powers
12-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Yellow Machinegun
Slayer
The Queers
The Nobodys
Prong
Teenage Bottlerocket
The Lillingtons
The Ramones
Bad Religion
Mxpx
.......you Get The Idea

Oh!...almost Forgot..not Really...
D.r.i.
Final Conflict
Vio-lence
VoivodOf those, the only thing I have in my collection is "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck" by Prong.

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Great song from a great cd.....i do only cd's...none of that i-pod crap...i have 1100 punk, thrash, death metal, speed metal, and hardcore cd's and I will never give them up....i will be buried with them.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
I've always been more of one to get a full CD and enjoy it from beginning to end. However, as I get older, it is harder to keep up with so much music. So, when I buy CD's, it is usually older stuff, or new music from my favorite groups. However, there is still a lot of good music out there, so when I hear it, I look into the artist a bit more. Sometimes I can tell right off that I'm not going to be interested in anything else on the album, and I'll go ahead and get the single song. However, I usually don't get a chance to really listen to the rest of the album, and don't feel like spending the money for a whole album. So after a time I'll just ending up getting the song. Sometimes there are rare occasions when I hear something really cool and the whole album sounds like it will be good, and I'll go ahead and get it.

As it is now, about once a month, I'll go through my wishlists I've created in iTunes and by a dozen or two songs. Most of what I have bought is stuff from the 70's, and a lot of stuff from the past five years that I listened to on the Music Choice Alternative channel on Comcast cable TV. I haven't been listening to that as much lately, so I've not had many new tracks to add to my wishlists from last year or two.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
felt very chill and relaxed tonight and busted out some Rufus Wainwright. I love his music; it's fantastic. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
12-04-2008, 12:00 AM
MSP, I'm a little surprised there's not at least some Ramones in your collection.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-04-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd certainly like to have some. At one point I almost bought an anthology that had about everything they did, but didn't feel like spending whatever it was it cost at the time. I think that beyond the few songs I'm familiar with, I'd probably get bored with most of it.

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Currently listening to Ultragroove's Live365 funk & soul feed. Right now it's "Funky Chick" by The Majestics. Just changed to "Top Rally" by Jack Arel & Pierre Dutor.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-13-2008, 01:05 PM
First, it was Christmas in the Stars, the SW holiday album (I have it on vinyl and CD, but this was the digital version), but now I'm on track 10 of the Clone Wars soundtrack ("Destroying the Shield" ). Mixing the season with the series, I suppose.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-22-2008, 11:12 AM
"Lust for Life" is the opening to the Jim Rome Show, sports talk. First time in a long time that the host (his name is Jim Rome) has actually been live on the program (called the Jim Rome Show) while I've been listening (school day seems to get in the way of morning and early afternoon radio/TV programs (such as the Jim Rome Show, hosted by Jim Rome).

Jim Rome mentions his own name (Jim Rome) quite frequently on the Jim Rome Show, BTW.

JediTricks
12-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Disposable Heroes - Metallica, on KNAC.com

Mad Slanted Powers
12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
"Lust for Life" is the opening to the Jim Rome Show, sports talk. First time in a long time that the host (his name is Jim Rome) has actually been live on the program (called the Jim Rome Show) while I've been listening (school day seems to get in the way of morning and early afternoon radio/TV programs (such as the Jim Rome Show, hosted by Jim Rome).

Jim Rome mentions his own name (Jim Rome) quite frequently on the Jim Rome Show, BTW.I've heard parts of his show before. I recall hearing a promo for it while listening to the Mariner's game or something, and the music sounded like "Brendan #1" by Fugazi. It is an instrumental song from their album Repeater. Red Hot Chili Peppers appear to have borrowed from that song for their tune "By The Way."

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I've heard parts of his show before. I recall hearing a promo for it while listening to the Mariner's game or something, and the music sounded like "Brendan #1" by Fugazi. It is an instrumental song from their album Repeater. Red Hot Chili Peppers appear to have borrowed from that song for their tune "By The Way."There are a few songs on the post-commercial lead-ins that I still don't know artist and title. I think they sold a CD with those songs, so I suppose if I found it (or just the playlist from it), that might solve the issue.

JediTricks
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Feeling Pleasure Through Pain - Ripping Corpse, part of my Metal/Punk playlist.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Speaking of metal, I was just thinking that there should be a death metal tribute to the Beatles called, "All You Need Is Blood." As it turns out, Beatallica already had a song by that name. I see that it was referenced in another thread here three years ago. Just as Dread Zeppelin combined Led Zeppelin and Elvis, Beatallica combines Metallica with the Beatles. The guy sounds a lot like Hetfield. They also did a song called "Hey Dude", which I think I suggested as a song title in the "That's Not How It Goes" thread.

As for what I've been listening to. Still mostly songs from my iTunes purchases. A few songs that I've listened to lately that have stuck in my head a bit more than the others:

Ben Folds Five - "Where's Summer B?"
Jonatha Brooke & The Story - "No Better"
Jerry Reed - "Amos Moses"
Al Stewart - "Time Passages"
Tears For Fears - "Change"
World Party - "Ship of Fools"

And since it is Christmas:

Thurl Ravenscroft - "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch"

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Good ol' Christmas music....

"Straight No Chaser" I downloaded their album off of iTunes this morning.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Cavity Search - Weird Al Yankovic, part of my 2 hour Weird Al playlist. It's a parody of U2's "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from Batman Forever, set to dentistry.

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Weird Al Yankovic, part of my 2 hour Weird Al playlist.

You have a 2 hour Weird Al playlist?!?!

That's just not right.:razz:

Lord Malakite
12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
You know me, I've always got be different. :D Rather than listen to regular songs I'm listening to television theme songs. Right now I'm stuck on the 4 leaked theme song demos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHWX16-4so) for the upcoming 17th season of Power Rangers (Power Rangers: RPM). Most times when you hear demos for a show theme song there always seems to be one or two that stand out as being crap. I'm hoping for demo 1 or 2 to be chosen this case, though I kind of like them all, which is odd.

They are kind of going for a Skynet/Terminator "Future Wars" type story this upcoming season (minus the time travel). I think the lyrics of all the demos do a nice job of portraying that fact.

In the near future, the mysterious and sinister Venjix Computer Network decides man's fate in the blink of an eye. To esablish a new world order Venjix is attempting to conquer and lay ruin to the entire planet. Mankind has retreated into environmentally-shielded domed cities to protect against the pollution and machines unleashed by Venjix. In one of mankind's last refuges, the shining city of Corinth, an elite force of Rangers must learn to drive and operate an arsenal of radically advanced biotech vehicles in order to battle the attacking machine army bent on world domination and mankind's extinction.

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Sitcom theme songs with a twist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMj1ZaWVc-8

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Cavity Search - Weird Al Yankovic, part of my 2 hour Weird Al playlist. It's a parody of U2's "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from Batman Forever, set to dentistry.A 2-hour list, a 2-hour list. (awesome) But that song? Whether starting to get rough, the tiny 'pod was lost? (really bad GI theme parody on my part)

Let's see, at about 5 minutes average per song (and that's probably longer), that's 12 songs an hour, times two. So, what 24 W.A.Y. songs (throwing out the 9+ minute great ones like "Stuck in the Drive Thru," "Biggest Ball of Twine in MN," or "Albuquerque" ) would be in my mp3 device?

"One More Minute"
"Hardware Store"
"BOB"
"This is the Life"
"I Lost on Jeopardy"
one polka (perhaps "Alternative Polka" )
"Nature Trail to Hell"
"Christmas at Ground Zero"
"Velvet Elvis"
"Fun Zone"
"When I Was Your Age"
"The Saga Begins"
"Yoda"
"Germs"
"A Complicated Song"
"Why Does This Always Happen to Me?"
"Cable TV"
"It's All About the Pentiums"
"Melanie" :cry:
"Taco Grande"
"Good Old Days"
"Airline Amy"
"(This Song's Just) Six Words Long"
"I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead"

El Chuxter
12-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Cavity Search - Weird Al Yankovic, part of my 2 hour Weird Al playlist. It's a parody of U2's "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" from Batman Forever, set to dentistry.

That's just not right.:razz:
No kidding. Two hours isn't enough Weird Al.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Flash Light - Parliament, part of my Funk playlist.

My Metal/Punk playlist just got 1:53 longer, with the addition of Christmas' additions: Metallica's Ride the Lightning and ...And Justice for All.

That's just not right.:razz:I know, it should be longer, but without "The Compleat Al" on DVD, I can't bring myself to buy more albums for some reason. I really should tho'.

A 2-hour list, a 2-hour list. (awesome) But that song? Whether starting to get rough, the tiny 'pod was lost? (really bad GI theme parody on my part)Yikes man! Gilligan is confused, and tripping over things as we speak.

Let's see, at about 5 minutes average per song (and that's probably longer), that's 12 songs an hour, times two. So, what 24 W.A.Y. songs (throwing out the 9+ minute great ones like "Stuck in the Drive Thru," "Biggest Ball of Twine in MN," or "Albuquerque" ) would be in my mp3 device?On mine, it's 34 songs, 3 albums: In 3D, Off the Deep End, and Bad Hair Day.

Exhaust Port
12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
My Christmas additions I'm cycling through:

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964-1971: I had this double tape back in the late 1980's and was added to a CD wish list I made as soon as I bought my first CD player. It only took 20 years to finally get this album and it still is great. I remember "Painted Black" being used in the Tour of Duty TV show which got me to buy the tape back then.

DeBussy - Piano Works: Known now for the piano piece played at the end of the Ocean's 11/12/13 movies. Great stuff if you like piano driven classical.

Yavin 4 - Otherworld Technologies: A project by an artist from an industrial band who's first album I really enjoy. That "band" (RE/Act) samplied a few things from Star Wars which I'm sure he didn't ask to do before hand. Given the title of this band and a number of the tracks it's safe to say he's a big fan of Star Wars.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Soundtrack: NOT THE NEW MOVIE. Sorry. The soundtrack from the original 1950's movie which is one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Anything with a Theremin in it is right by me when it comes to sci-fi scores.

JT, happy to see someone getting some classic Metallica. ...and Justice for All is the album that got me interested in Metallica back in the 1980's. There isn't a bad track on either of the 2 albums you got there. Now, do you have Master of Puppets and Kill'em All yet?

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Better Metal Snake, Dethklok (deluxe Dethalbum)

I actually had And Justice for All on tape back in the day, but ever since the Black album, it's been hard to separate Metallica from their more grammy-grubbing elements for me. I already have Master of Puppets, but Kill 'em All I've never owned because I own a few Megadeth albums and apparently it's illegal to put any album that connects Hetfield and Dave Mustane together, it's like joining matter and antimatter, it'll rip the time-space continuum apart. ;)

LusiferSam
12-29-2008, 08:53 AM
apparently it's illegal to put any album that connects Hetfield and Dave Mustane together, it's like joining matter and antimatter, it'll rip the time-space continuum apart. ;)

But it sure makes for some good music. I just listened to Kill 'em All yesterday. I love that album. It's really pretty low-fi, but still sounds great. I'm still listening to Death Magnetic, which is also wonderful. I've also been playing Jerry Cantrell's Boggy Depot. It's so close to being an Alice in Chains album it's sad, but still a good solid album.

Exhaust Port
12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I already have Master of Puppets, but Kill 'em All I've never owned because I own a few Megadeth albums and apparently it's illegal to put any album that connects Hetfield and Dave Mustane together, it's like joining matter and antimatter, it'll rip the time-space continuum apart. ;)

Careful because Mustaine is on Ride the Lightning with credits on 2 songs. :twisted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_the_Lightning

I jealous you have the Deluxe Dethklok. That was one of those albums I kept putting off from getting and the next thing I know it was no longer available and going for 3 times the price. Oh darn.

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Highway to Hell - AC/DC, part of my 4 and a half hour AC/DC playlist.

I should probably just buy Kill 'em All and get it over with, but it's a little pricey, and you're not the first person I've heard from say the weak production comes through on the CD.

I got super lucky on the Deluxe Dethalbum, I basically got in on the Amazon preorder a few hours before they closed it, and it showed up when they were not fulfilling all the preorders. I think they did or are about to do another pressing on it, they should do another pressing with new bonus features, I'd probably buy it again. :p BTW, turning it into a deluxe double album was the label's choice, Brendon Small wanted the whole thing to be the album but the label (Adult Swim) saw sales potential.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-29-2008, 08:39 PM
iTunes has the deluxe version, but it doesn't seem to have all the tracks.

El Chuxter
12-30-2008, 12:12 AM
I got the Dethalbum for 50% off at a closing Circuit City. Not the deluxe version, though.

Now, I'm listening to my latest MP3 acquisition. Between a $5 credit with amazon.com's MP3 department and my Pepsi Points, which expire tomorrow, I gave in to the ultimate guilty pleasure and "bought" a greatest hits album by a certain little white guy with the voice of a dude who looks like Barry White. I won't say who, but I can now rickroll myself anytime I want....

JediTricks
12-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Gimme Danger, Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell - Raw Power, Iggy & the Stooges ('97 Iggy Pop remaster). Track changed in the middle, but it's still the same album so I figured I'd just mention that.

Stupid $5 Amazon MP3 credit. I almost partook as well, but I don't want to fart around with the Amazon downloader, I just wants me music.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-30-2008, 08:38 AM
When I first saw you mention Dethalbum, I was pronouncing it so that it rhymed with "Ethel Bum". Then I finally realized, "Ah, Deth Album."

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
The sounds of silence. No, not S&G's classic, but the fact that no one else is stirring (better not even be any mice) in the morning. Is there a song titled "Tappping on the Keyboard?"

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
When I first saw you mention Dethalbum, I was pronouncing it so that it rhymed with "Ethel Bum". Then I finally realized, "Ah, Deth Album."
That's an interesting one.

KNAC.com feed - not even remotely sure what this is because they don't tell ya when there's not a DJ'ed hour.

plasticfetish
01-10-2009, 02:56 AM
KNAC.com feed - not even remotely sure what this is because they don't tell ya when there's not a DJ'ed hour.Hmmm... KNAC. Now there's a station I haven't thought about in a while.

JediTricks
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, here in LA, there's no metal anymore on the radio except 10pm to midnight Sundays with "Full Metal Jackie" on Indie 103.1, and she's kind of an annoying lackwit. (Lucky for me, they occasionally give her airtime on KNAC.com as well :ermm: ) Since KNAC was my source growing up, I've stayed just loyal enough to listen to their free low-bitrate version. :p

BTW, I'm currently listening to "Victim of Changes" by Judas Priest, part of my 2.5 hour Judas Priest playlist. Followed by "Ram it Down".

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I purchased some music videos for the first time through iTunes. I can watch all these on Youtube, but I thought I would see how buying videos worked out. Plus I thought these were some pretty cool ones.

Weezer - "Pork & Beans" - I haven't been into Weezer much except for their debut album and a couple songs on the Green album, but this is a pretty good song, and the video is really cool with all of the viral video star cameos.

The Cardigans & Tom Jones - "Burning Down the House" - I'm a Talking Heads fan, and this is a pretty decent cover. I like the contrast between Nina Persson's soft voice and the bombastic voice of Tom Jones. Plus Nina is nice to look at.

The Chemical Brothers - "Let Forever Be" - I recall seeing this video years ago on VH1 or MTV. It's a great catchy tune, and the video is a mind trip with all the mirrors and the morphing of one scene into the next. Plus another decent looking girl to look at.

El Chuxter
01-12-2009, 12:41 AM
The Cardigans & Tom Jones - "Burning Down the House" - I'm a Talking Heads fan, and this is a pretty decent cover. I like the contrast between Nina Persson's soft voice and the bombastic voice of Tom Jones. Plus Nina is nice to look at.

When did this happen? That sounds amazing! Tom Jones is THE sh--I mean, poop.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2009, 01:03 AM
When did this happen? That sounds amazing! Tom Jones is THE sh--I mean, poop.

Looks like it was on an 1999 Tom Jones album called Reload. I guess it is an album of collaborative covers I don't think I had heard of it either until a few months ago. I was looking up Cardigans videos and saw "Burning Down the House." I hadn't heard it, so I took a look, and was surprised when Tom Jones appeared in it. At first I was disappointed by that (mainly because I just expecting to see The Cardigans), but as I listened I realized it worked really well.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
"Come Again" is just ending, and "Mudshovel" is starting up, from Staind 1996-2006: The Singles.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
The quiet whooshing of the jury room air conditioner, and the voice of the woman at the PA calling out voices.

Daryl VayDar
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Ahhh- jury duty...

I got to serve a few years ago and had one of the wackiest experiences of my life, but that's for a different thread!

I recently got a new computer tower and since I've got mucho storage now, I'm ripping a bunch of CD's to my drive.
The last 5 disks I've ripped:

Bu**hole Surfers- Independent Worm Saloon "chewin' george lucas' chocolate" is a gem

Girls Against Boys- Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby

Primus- Pork Soda

White Zombie- La Sexorcisto

Gnarls Barkley- St. Elsewhere

It has been really cool going through a bunch of my old CD's- I've recently listened to stuff like The Velvet Underground, Miles Davis and Fugazi.

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
"It's a Long Way to the Top" AC/DC - part of my 4 hour AC/DC playlist. Now it's on "Overdose".

I transferred all my music to the PS3, so now I can listen to digital music in the living room. Playlists are a bit slow to set up, but it's a decent system.

I borrowed Independent Worm Saloon, wasn't my speed. I have a bunch of Primus, but somehow I never feel in the mood to listen to it, it doesn't fit anywhere in my styles.

I have to reburn about 50 CDs that I own, I used an inferior ripping program and they're not tagged right or set to the volume I'd prefer.

DarthQuack
01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Thew new Akon album Freedom I've been listening to almost non-stop I feel. It's the first CD I've purchased in probably 5 years...and I love every song on it. Can't get enough of it.

plasticfetish
01-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Wizzard: "Wizzard Brew" :glam: :beard:

El Chuxter
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
"It's a Long Way to the Top" AC/DC - part of my 4 hour AC/DC playlist. Now it's on "Overdose".

Funny, I was just listening to the same song. Only it was the cover by School of Rock, which should suck mightily, but is awesome in spite of being Jack Black and a bunch of children.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Here's a live acoustic version of the song performed by Billy Corgan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YEvHAOyMU

Daryl VayDar
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I borrowed Independent Worm Saloon, wasn't my speed. I have a bunch of Primus, but somehow I never feel in the mood to listen to it, it doesn't fit anywhere in my styles.

Yeah, it's actually far from my favorite of theirs and it's downright annoying at times. I give props to Gibby though because he was this madman with a literal wall of electronics and, when he was lucid, was an amazing musician.

If I actually think about listening to Primus, I agree about it needing the right mood, but every time I randomly hear it, I'm always amazed by that bass and really enjoy it...kinda odd.

The last 5 old CD's put on the HD:

The Doors- Morrison Hotel
Stevie Ray Vaughan- Texas Flood
Tool- Undertow
Best of Kool and the Gang 1969-1976
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood Sugar Sex Magic(autographed)

El Chuxter
01-23-2009, 02:06 PM
After seeing the same CDs for $0.50 at the 99c Only stores I was hitting up for the missing Thor-Axine car for my Speed Racer collection (found it yesterday!), I decided to bite the bullet and drop $1.50 on a few (after looking them up online to see what type of music they were, of course).

That was a long sentence.

Right now, listening to The Music of Your Life (1994) by ZuZu's Petals, a female trio that sounds sorta like what Hole might've sounded like on Celebrity Skin if Courtney Love could actually sing. Lyrically not masterminds, but they sound quite good.

Prior to that was Vanderhoof's self-titled 1997 CD. An excellent album by a band that sounds an awful lot like an updated version of Machine Head-era Deep Purple, maybe with a dash of Soundgarden tossed in.

Before that was a 1995 compilation by Tiny Lights called A Young Person's Guide to Tiny Lights. I have no clue why a band I've never heard of released a compilation that is now gathering dust by the millions in 99c Only stores everywhere, but (as good as Vanderhoof was), methinks this is the best of the bunch. They sound a lot like Innocence Mission (though without Karen Peris' unique voice), sometimes with more of a rock edge. And my wife was pleasantly surprised to see there's an official 10,000 Maniacs connection with them, too.

Not bad for less than the price of two MP3s. I have a feeling I'll jot down the names of a few more every time I stop by and see if there are any other gems that are unjustly being overlooked there.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
"When the Levee Breaks" - Led Zeppelin, LZIV

Mad Slanted Powers
01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Right now, listening to The Music of Your Life (1994) by ZuZu's Petals, a female trio that sounds sorta like what Hole might've sounded like on Celebrity Skin if Courtney Love could actually sing. Lyrically not masterminds, but they sound quite good.Just checked out the samples on iTunes. Sounds all right. No write-up on the album or the band at all on allmusic.com. The name sort of sounds familiar, so I wonder if I've heard them before.

Prior to that was Vanderhoof's self-titled 1997 CD. An excellent album by a band that sounds an awful lot like an updated version of Machine Head-era Deep Purple, maybe with a dash of Soundgarden tossed in.Don't see them on iTunes, but I see on allmusic.com that there is a connection to Metal Church, who I heard of back in the day, but never heard. I came across Metal Church recently and noticed that they were a Seattle band.

Before that was a 1995 compilation by Tiny Lights called A Young Person's Guide to Tiny Lights. I have no clue why a band I've never heard of released a compilation that is now gathering dust by the millions in 99c Only stores everywhere, but (as good as Vanderhoof was), methinks this is the best of the bunch. They sound a lot like Innocence Mission (though without Karen Peris' unique voice), sometimes with more of a rock edge. And my wife was pleasantly surprised to see there's an official 10,000 Maniacs connection with them, too.Not on iTunes either, and no samples for this album on allmusic. What is the 10,000 Maniacs connection? I've heard some Innocence Mission. I kind of like their sound, but I don't have any of their music.

"When the Levee Breaks" - Led Zeppelin, LZIVI once came across a roots of Led Zeppelin CD that had the old blues songs which Led Zeppelin covered or borrowed from. I've bought a few such songs, included the version of this song done by Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe. Others I have include:

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You - Joan Baez
Black Water Side - Bert Jansch (Zeppelin made it into the instrumental Black Mountain Side)
How Many More Years - Howlin' Wolf (part of the inspiration in How Many More Times)
The Hunter - Albert King (also borrowed from for How Many More Times)
Killing Floor - Howlin' Wolf (borrowed from this one on The Lemon Song)
Bring It On Home - Sonny Boy Williamson
It's Nobody's Fault But Mine - Blind Willie Johnson
Dazed and Confused - Jake Holmes
The Gallis Pole - Leadbelly

Dazed and Confused is my favorite of the bunch.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Emotional Rescue - Rolling Stones. I can't tell you how long my Stones playlist is anymore because like an idiot I let it update to WMP11 and that feature isn't there. Stupid WMP 11 sucks.

El Chuxter
01-24-2009, 01:00 AM
What is the 10,000 Maniacs connection? I've heard some Innocence Mission. I kind of like their sound, but I don't have any of their music.
The cellist played on MTV Unplugged. Looks like one of the guys from the band went on to play (bass?) for Ween, too.

My wife is a big Innocence Mission fan. I'd recommend Glow as far as the stuff that's in print. If you can track down an affordable copy, their self-titled major label debut is their best by far. The one track they have on the Empire Records soundtrack is hella mediocre compared to everything else.

Oh, and Blind Willie Johnson's version of "It's Nobody's Fault But Mine" is my fave. I still love Zep, but I lost an awful lot of respect for them when I discovered about half their songs were old blues songs that they ripped off and took songwriting credit for. Willie Dixon was still alive to sue their arses over that crap, and (for some reason) they liked Memphis Minnie enough to actually credit her for "Levee" to begin with, but most of the other folks they stole from were dead and couldn't stand up to protect their work.

(I dig most Memphis Minnie stuff, but the original of "When the Levee Breaks" just doesn't quite do it for me.)

Mad Slanted Powers
01-24-2009, 01:25 AM
The boxed set in 1990 gave credit to Dixon "I Can't Quit You Baby". They also gave partial credit to Robert Johnson on "Travelling Riverside Blues". The second set that had everthing else on it listed Dixon & J. B. Lenoir for "You Shook Me". Nothing for "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "The Lemon Song", "How Many More Times", "Black Mountain Side", or "Dazed and Confused".

Slicker
01-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Lately I've been listening to songs from T.I.'s Paper Trail. It's a pretty decent CD and I may buy it when I get paid.

JetsAndHeels
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Currently listening to the album "The Dream" by In This Moment. It's just my latest guilty pleasure since I am partial to bands that have female leads.

DarthQuack
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Looking forward to the new Springsteen album Tuesday. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
01-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Lately I've been listening to songs from T.I.'s Paper Trail. It's a pretty decent CD and I may buy it when I get paid.

Thanks! I could use more royalties, Slick! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-30-2009, 12:07 PM
after nearly 3 hours and 2 previous tickets purchased, I FINALLY found a good ticket for the Phish show in IN in June. So, naturally i'm listening to Phish. hahahaha also need to sell those two extra seats, so listen up hippies! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 04:09 PM
"The Throne Room + End Title" John Williams

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Best of Van Halen: Vol. 1, and "Runnin' With the Devil" is just about done, with "Dance the Night Away" as the next track. Has there been a "Vol. 2?"

plasticfetish
02-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Röyksopp - Melody A.M.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I gotta get me some Van Halen, my collection is totally lacking. Prince, too, now that I think about it.

Currently, I'm listening to "I Wanna Know Why", Aerosmith, from the Pandora's Box box set (the original version with the narrow box and book, that was the most expensive album I ever bought, from my 3rd or 4th paycheck ever, back in '91).

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
A few months ago I replied to a thread here about what music you listen to. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be about music and bands that one might not be used to hearing about, something different and unique that only a select few of real music lovers might find interesting. Since then I am getting like 3 e-mails per week with people replying with things like van halen and prince...are you kidding me? If you listen to MTV crap, or VH1 junk or you can hear your music on the radio then please just move on as I dont care. Lets see how many gen x-ers out there grew up in the speed metal, punk, and goth movements of the 90's. If you can actually say you know any of the following bands then write in with some more as this is a good way to expand your music collection with bands that actually have some talent and something to say. If you listen to rap do not reply as this is not music. Here goes with the bands:
DEAD BRAIN CELLS
VIO-LENCE
MINISTRY
THRILL KILL CULT
SLAYER
ANGKOR WAT
YELLOW MACHINEGUN
FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY
PRONG
NITZER EBB
THE DWARVES
ANTI-SEEN
NUCLEAR ASSAULT
SACRED REICH
FINAL CONFLICT
SLAPSHOT
CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
NAPALM DEATH
SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
D.R.I.
BAD RELIGION
ALL
DESCENDENTS
CRINGER
C.O.C.
HIRAX
THE QUEERS
SCREECHING WEASEL
If you currently listen to any of these or bands similar I would like to hear from you....if you listen to hip hop, rap, or any crap on the radio dont bother as you have no musical taste as far as I am concerned. Yes I am opinionated....I am gen-x punk from charlotte nc and will give you a boot party before anything else if you dont like my opinion.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
A few months ago I replied to a thread here about what music you listen to. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be about music and bands that one might not be used to hearing about, something different and unique that only a select few of real music lovers might find interesting. Since then I am getting like 3 e-mails per week with people replying with things like van halen and prince...are you kidding me? If you listen to MTV crap, or VH1 junk or you can hear your music on the radio then please just move on as I dont care. Lets see how many gen x-ers out there grew up in the speed metal, punk, and goth movements of the 90's. If you can actually say you know any of the following bands then write in with some more as this is a good way to expand your music collection with bands that actually have some talent and something to say. If you listen to rap do not reply as this is not music. Here goes with the bands:
DEAD BRAIN CELLS
VIO-LENCE
MINISTRY
THRILL KILL CULT
SLAYER
ANGKOR WAT
YELLOW MACHINEGUN
FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY
PRONG
NITZER EBB
THE DWARVES
ANTI-SEEN
NUCLEAR ASSAULT
SACRED REICH
FINAL CONFLICT
SLAPSHOT
CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
NAPALM DEATH
SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
D.R.I.
BAD RELIGION
ALL
DESCENDENTS
CRINGER
C.O.C.
HIRAX
THE QUEERS
SCREECHING WEASEL
If you currently listen to any of these or bands similar I would like to hear from you....if you listen to hip hop, rap, or any crap on the radio dont bother as you have no musical taste as far as I am concerned. Yes I am opinionated....I am gen-x punk from charlotte nc and will give you a boot party before anything else if you dont like my opinion.
Hmm, I wonder if that Van Halen & Prince ref is aimed at me. I'd assume so since it comes right after the post where I say that, but then you go on to mention Ministry, Slayer, Napalm Death, Suicidal Tendencies, and Bad Religion, all of which is in my collection and regularly plays. Maybe we're not stereotypes meant to conform to your worldview and allowed to enjoy music whether it's commercial or not. Then again, maybe I don't give a crap whether you feel I have any taste anyway, and can survive the internet words of a "Gen-X punk" especially since my mom and step-dad met in a punk band, and I live down the street from Glenn Danzig.

The apropos "Same Old Song and Dance", Aerosmith.

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I dont care if your dad is henry rollins...you admitted to the world you listen to prince. LOL

"I dont care if you dont see the world like I do..."
Excel 1987

Mad Slanted Powers
02-06-2009, 08:04 PM
DEAD BRAIN CELLS
VIO-LENCE
MINISTRY
THRILL KILL CULT
SLAYER
ANGKOR WAT
YELLOW MACHINEGUN
FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY
PRONG
NITZER EBB
THE DWARVES
ANTI-SEEN
NUCLEAR ASSAULT
SACRED REICH
FINAL CONFLICT
SLAPSHOT
CRYPTIC SLAUGHTER
NAPALM DEATH
SUCIDAL TENDENCIES
D.R.I.
BAD RELIGION
ALL
DESCENDENTS
CRINGER
C.O.C.
HIRAX
THE QUEERS
SCREECHING WEASEL
If you currently listen to any of these or bands similar I would like to hear from you....if you listen to hip hop, rap, or any crap on the radio dont bother as you have no musical taste as far as I am concerned. Yes I am opinionated....I am gen-x punk from charlotte nc and will give you a boot party before anything else if you dont like my opinion.I've heard of a few of those bands, and actually heard even less. Most of it isn't quite my thing. Of those, I think I have an mp3 of "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies. I think I got that from Napster before they were shut down and reborn. From iTunes, I purchased "Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck" by Prong, and "Nobody's" by All. I actually saw the Prong song on MTV years ago and it stuck with me even though I probably didn't hear it again. A college roommate had the All CD and I had taped a copy of it, but finally have it in a more easily accessible format.

While I'm not a big fan of the rap and most of what is on the top 40 today, you shouldn't dismiss all rap as not being music. In fact, the Public Enemy song "She Watch Channel Zero?!" samples a riff from the Slayer song "Angel of Death".

I don't watch MTV. I used to watch VH1 or VH1 classic a lot, but not so much lately. I do enjoy their top 100 music lists, even if a lot of the choices are kind of lame. I also enjoy their "I Love The (70's, 80's, 90's, new millennium)" series. I tuned into MTV2 on New Years Eve 2007 and actually saw them playing videos, and some of them were actually pretty cool, such as CSS - "Alala", Matt & Kim - "Yeah Yeah" and Black Moth Super Rainbow - "Sun Lips".

I guess I was never much of a metalhead, but I was exposed to some of it and can appreciate the talent there. I was raised in the 70's and 80's, mostly on mainstream stuff. The alternative music of my youth was mostly New Wave, and not very alternative at that. I recall telling other kids that my favorite band was The Cars, and all they would think of is that Gary Numan song. So, prior to Heartbeat City, I thought The Cars were kind of alternative. The irony is that Gary Numan is far more alternative than The Cars. My brother had Devo's Freedom of Choice and The B'52's Wild Planet. I had of course heard "Whip It", but The B-52's were totally unknown to me. Other than hearing "Private Idaho" on the radio a couple times in the years after that, I didn't really hear anything about them until their big breakthrough with Cosmic Thing. A couple other albums he had that weren't too mainstream were Gary Myrick & The Figures, and The Boomtown Rats - The Fine Art of Surfacing.

In the mid-80's a friend introduced me to Talking Heads and I really got into them for a while. I knew people in high school that were into a lot of the alternative 80's bands. I'd get a kick out of going into the record store and reading the song and album titles from bands like The Dead Kennedys.

In college I discovered a late night radio program on CBC radio called Brave New Waves. They played alternative and underground stuff. One night I heard a profile that must have been chronicling Fugazi and it's origins. When I heard the guy talking about Minor Threat, I was amazed by the fact that this hard core punk band was talking about this straight edge stuff. Up to that point, my image of punk was of anarchy and nihilism. Eventually Fugazi became my favorite band.

In the early 90's, I was in college during the rise of grunge and all of this alternative music getting mainstream attention. It was a fun time as I went to local clubs to see bands play, including a band some of my cross country teammates were in. Much of musical tastes seems to have been shaped by that era. However, I still am rooted in classic rock and the pop music I grew up with in the 70's. I recall listening to American Top 40 in the late 70's and perhaps early 80's. I recall seeing a show on TV about the history of rock and roll, and the radio had a series that went year by year talking about the history of rock. CFMI radio across the border in Canada had a program called Discumentary that would profile a band, year or theme each week. That was part of my classic rock education. Even some of the country music my parents have on the radio, which I didn't care for much at the time, has worked its way into my musical subconscious. I don't much care for modern country music, but the stuff prior to 1980 is more likely to be something I am familiar with.

A few years ago, I got into the ambient, electronic, new age and space music as heard on an internet station called Astreaux World. My collection now contains a couple dozen CD's by artists I heard there. There was some bad news recently as I learned through the forums on the Astreaux World website that the guy that created the station has passed away.

To get a fuller picture of what I'm into, or was into at some point, check out my CD List (http://home.comcast.net/~madslantedpowers/CDList.html) and list of iTunes purchases (http://home.comcast.net/~madslantedpowers/iTunes.html). There is some metal, some punk, some rap, some country, but mostly classic rock, 70's pop, and 90's alternative rock. I consider myself to be, as my signature line says, "Too mainstream for the underground, too alternative for the masses."