PDA

View Full Version : darth vader(s) question

manji
02-16-2003, 07:12 PM
I have read elsewhere that Darth Vader has slight armor changes from ANH to ESB to ROTJ. Is this true? I have tried to look myself but I can't tell from the movies.

If it is true, have any of these costume changes been translated into the Hasbro figures line? Again, I have looked at the many Darth Vader figures that have been made but have been unable to see any differences (other than the obvious such as Emperor's Wrath and Dagobah Vader).

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks!

coy5
02-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Yes, from ANH to ROTJ Vader's armor changes from all black in ANH to Black and sort of a dull silver color in ROTJ. just take a look at commtech vader (from ANH) and the potf2 vader with removable hand(from ROTJ). Hope that info helps.

stillakid
02-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Just take a look at the masks from one film to the next for the most obvious changes.

If I get the chance, I'll find some photos and show the comparisons later.

manji
02-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the info! So has Hasbro designed different helmets for their Vader figures then (excluding the obvious ones like EW, Removable Helmet, and Dagobah Vader)? I looked in the collector's database and can't tell from the images.

187-Maul
02-19-2003, 09:09 AM
there's also a change in the chest plate armor, I've tried to point in out in the attached pic

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 03:27 AM
I think there's also a change to the chest underskirt as well.

Jargo
02-21-2003, 03:48 PM
The bigger the movie budget the better the costume got. Also reflected how in the first movie vader was treated as a sort of equal to tarkin but by Jedi he was almost top dog. Perhaps the addition of the silver was emblematic of his chink of light side coming through. Symbolism where it wasn't necessarily thought of originally, but ties in nicely to the mythos.

Costume changes were also made according to how active Dave Prowse and his stunt double had to get. For ANH they didn't need an action suit especially but for ESB and Jedi they needed some serious bits of kit for the duels.

Thiscomparison shows that the main difference was between the ANH suit and the ESB one. More shiny and bright for ESB and the helmet got black lenses rather than the brown ones from ANH which you could see through and showed dave prowse' eyes in a couple of shots. The helmet shape changed subtley betwen the first two movies and became squarer for ESB it's sort of flatter on top and seems somehow a bit squished. They also changed the small suit control boxes on vaders belt. In ANH they have small round green lights and for ESB they resemble buttons from those old arcade games. Which is what they probably were.

Don't take my word for it though as i'm sure other people have their views on this. I'm not sure about the chest control box or the cape and inner robe. Someones bound to know about that stuff though.

manji
02-21-2003, 04:53 PM
EJ, thanks for the fine picture. That helps bunches - you're a peach!

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Thanks EJ, that helps a lot. As you can see, in ANH, the cloth "vest skirt" went over the shoulder armor piece while in the other 2 films it went under that piece.

stillakid
02-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The bigger the movie budget the better the costume got. Also reflected how in the first movie vader was treated as a sort of equal to tarkin but by Jedi he was almost top dog. Perhaps the addition of the silver was emblematic of his chink of light side coming through. Symbolism where it wasn't necessarily thought of originally, but ties in nicely to the mythos.

Costume changes were also made according to how active Dave Prowse and his stunt double had to get. For ANH they didn't need an action suit especially but for ESB and Jedi they needed some serious bits of kit for the duels.

Thiscomparison shows that the main difference was between the ANH suit and the ESB one. More shiny and bright for ESB and the helmet got black lenses rather than the brown ones from ANH which you could see through and showed dave prowse' eyes in a couple of shots. The helmet shape changed subtley betwen the first two movies and became squarer for ESB it's sort of flatter on top and seems somehow a bit squished. They also changed the small suit control boxes on vaders belt. In ANH they have small round green lights and for ESB they resemble buttons from those old arcade games. Which is what they probably were.

Don't take my word for it though as i'm sure other people have their views on this. I'm not sure about the chest control box or the cape and inner robe. Someones bound to know about that stuff though.

Thanks EJ. I'd been meaning to do this but haven't had the time.

The screen triangle thingie under his chin has gotten progressively larger for each film, although it's most noticable b/n ANH and ESB.