PDA

View Full Version : Weighing Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, How Sad is That?!

JediCole
02-16-2003, 07:57 PM
I was looking over the auctions of a friend of mine on eBay today and discovered that he had sold a handful (five) Yu-Gi-Oh cards for $150.00! I decided to look at the feedback of the winning bidder and then at what that bidder had recently won. I saw something that reminded me of something I saw recently at a KB Toys. The item that sparked this memory? A pocket gram scale. That is to say a battery powered scale for minute weights.

While checking out the lack of toys at a local mall store of KB Toys is saw a guy at the counter with their box of Yu-Gi-Oh packs and a pocket gram scale not unlike the one I saw in this auction. This person would take each pack out of the box, carefully weigh it, and put only those packs that weighed a fraction of a gram more than the average on the smaller stack. There was no question what this guy was up to, he was distinquishing packs containing prism cards from those without. Presumably the cards with the prisms weigh a distinquishable amount more than those without, so this poor soul was meticulously weighing packs in hopes of discerning which packs were worth the investment.

Though this was a sad sight, given the $150.00 my friend got from the five cards he sold, I have to imagine that it must be worth the time, effort, and investment in a scale. Of course, like Pokemon, given a few years, the winner of that auction will discover that the only time those cards will EVER be worth $30.00 was when he paid that much for them on an eBay auction!

sith_killer_99
02-16-2003, 08:16 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JediTricks
02-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I second SK99's post. :D

Tonysmo
02-17-2003, 01:35 AM
This is not old news.. these types of things have hampered sports card collecting as well.. they now shove gigantic slates of cardboard into these packs to make them indistinguishable from a pack with an insert.. there are still certain things card companies do that I guess they cant help.. such as placements of the insert packs in the box. If you buy one box, and methodically go through each pack, you'll realize that say the autograph is in the first row about 5 packs down.. in every box.. I have scored a few inserts with this knowledge, and guess what? The starwars autographs from last years set are the same way.. I dont think I could talk myself into weighing packs in the middle of walmart though - its called couth.

scruffziller
02-17-2003, 09:58 AM
WOW...........:sur:

Exhaust Port
02-17-2003, 10:31 AM
I guess if the method works for getting what you want then what's the harm. I would just be too embarrassed to stand there is a store and weight the little packages. To each their own.

QLD
02-17-2003, 10:46 AM
I guarantee, if Star Wars figures came in random packages, and we didn't know what we were getting, we would all be weighing the packages looking for Ephont Man.

scruffziller
02-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I guarantee, if Star Wars figures came in random packages, and we didn't know what we were getting, we would all be weighing the packages looking for Ephont Man.

Yea but like JediCole was talking about, they would make it so no one could tell the difference in weight.

QLD
02-17-2003, 04:04 PM
I know that sporting card companies do that, but for action figures, it would be more difficult, as weight differences are more substantial. The differences between pit droids, Han Solo, and Ephont Man are substantial. They would have to add weights of completely different amounts to every single different figure to make each package equal, increasing their costs enormously. Hasbro would not do that.

12inch Lando
02-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Go ahead Hasbro, seal your fate. Go Yu-Gi-Oh on us. Although... as sick as some of the CCG collectors are... it just might work.

InsaneJediGirl
02-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Very sad,but I agree if it something Star Wars that I wanted I might do the same thing..

A have a quick question,not being a card collector myself..Whats the thrill of some pictures slapped on a piece of cheap cardstock?You cant play with them in the sense of action figures(Well,unless you collect TGC),and you cant even see what your getting!Any card collectors care to explain the thrill?

stillakid
02-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Very sad,but I agree if it something Star Wars that I wanted I might do the same thing..

A have a quick question,not being a card collector myself..Whats the thrill of some pictures slapped on a piece of cheap cardstock?You cant play with them in the sense of action figures(Well,unless you collect TGC),and you cant even see what your getting!Any card collectors care to explain the thrill?

Well, for me as a youth it was the vicarious thrill of being able to reexperience the movie over and over in the comfort of my own home. Remember, this was way back in 1977 -1980-ish when VCR's were still pretty pricey and buying VHS movies cost you around $80 bucks a pop. I can't remember exactly when my parents broke down to buy the machine, but it wasn't for a while. And even longer until we could see Star Wars at home. The CBS Premiere was a super huge deal at the time.

So, anyway, as a lad, I could ride my bike down to the 5 and dime and pick up a three pack of cards for something like a buck or .75 cents. Don't hold me to this, but I think you got something like 10 to 15 cards per pack, with a sticker and some gum! What a deal! So, since I couldn't just head into the city (a fair distance away) to see the movie (which was expensive to see anyway on a kid's allowance...high priced tickets I remember were like $4.50), I could relive each moment of each film with those cards.

Flashforward to today and no, it doesn't seem as...um, necessary, I suppose. The first problem is obvious...it costs relatively little to own a copy of the movie and see it whenever you want. Not only that, but you can have it in your hands literally a couple months after it hit the theaters. The original Star Wars was in theaters for more than a year...an entire YEAR, in some places. That's unheard of anymore.

The second problem nowadays is price. Outrageous. A lot of kids these days have a sense of entitlement for some reason and the parents give in to them and give them huge bank accounts so price for things doesn't seem to be the big deal it used to be. For instance, a $2.50 pack of cards is paltry next to a $50 Gamecube game. It almost seems like a bargain to keep your kid happy. But it's still $2.50 or more for something like 8 or 10 cards. And no gum!

So you're right, it seems pretty silly.

But I do casually collect some cards even to this day. When the Widevisions hit the market, I thought they were pretty cool so I've kept up with the basic sets for each film. They live a lonely life in a box up in the closet, but it's nice knowing that they're there. Maybe for that one day when our power goes out for good. I'll be able to light a fire, pull out the box, and tell my kids this great story as I show them the pictures.

Tonysmo
02-23-2003, 01:38 AM
What IS the draw? There are a few things I look forward to when busting packs. (Thats card collecting jargon.. ) I hardly get to as much as I used to, cause I have run out room, and have too many boxes of worthless cardboard.

The main reason I collect is because in certain instances there are teams and players I enjoy. Im a huge Tennessee Titans fan, Houston Texans fan, and a Rams fan. I like to collect those players cards. Of course now they include different items in these packs, so the chance of pulling something worth even more than an average card is somewhat exciting. Kinda like your own $3 lottery ticket with pictures of players. I have a decent collect of decent somewhat high dollar "insert" cards as they call 'em.

Reason #2 - It's kinda in the same area of autograph collecting. I would assume if you dont get into collecting cards, or look at it as expensive cardboard ( which it is.. ) then you would think of autographs as just ink from some dude. To me they kinda go hand in hand. I can send out cards from one set to all the players in the set for an autograph. To see who signs and who doesnt. It's kinda fun to get a letter in the mail with an autograph in it.

We all enjoy our Star Wars world, but what better way to display my 12" Vader than with a David Prowse inscription on it? Kinda cool I think.

I have since had to cease in buying so much, and have even weened myself from card shows.. but I still am looking for that elusive Gem Mint 10 David Carr rookie card.. Anyone? Anyone?

It's a nice hobby. If you havent busted open a pack - try it.

QLD
02-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I used to be heavy into collecting sports cards, but not so much after the mid 90's, when everyone quit collecting for fun, and only for profit. The Card market is nothing more than a stock market now.

But, the reason I used to enjoy cards, was because I LOVE sports. It was a way for me to have SOMETHING representing my favorite athletes. Equivalent of the way a person would have a poster of their favorite band. Nothing used to make me happier than getting a Dale Murphy or Charles Barkley card. It was also a great way to LEARN about sports.

The back of the cards had stats, sports trivia, and personal information about each player. You could find out a lot about your favorite players, and the game.

Now, well, most of the time there isn't anything on the back of the cards except maybe a years worth of stats, and another picture. The goal of most collectors now, is to find the ultra-rare, super-valuable insert cards. That are in 1/300,000 packs. Everything else is scrap for them. :( I also attribute this turn in the hobby to professional grading, but that's a story for another time.

The extent of my card collecting boils down to this now......

I buy about one box of cards a year for basketball, baseball, and football. I try to pick out a type of card that will be good for getting autographs on (non-glossy, good looking). And I use them to obtain autographs for my collection. Some in person, some obtained through the mail.

I have a collection of around 300-400 autographed cards, and I enjoy it very much. Everytime I look through my binder, it brings me great joy.

So that's the appeal of it to me I guess.

InsaneJediGirl
02-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Thanks for answering my question guys:D

Actually,I do have some cards,which I have gotten as gifts from relatives(Mainly when the Pokemon craze hit,they gave me Star Wars ones though).So in a sense I have busted a pack open.Pretty cool to look at,then you start worrying about bending the cards and such.I guess thats why its never exciting to me,they tear up a bit too easy.

QLD,Your autograhps sound pretty cool though,amazing that you amassed 300-400 of them:)

QLD
02-23-2003, 01:37 PM
I have pictures of them somewhere IJG. I'll see if I can locate them.

I would have about double that, but many got stolen by a friend of my brothers a few years ago. I used to have an O.J. Simpson autographed card, before he was an accused murderer, :crazed: but that was one of the ones stolen. I don't collect the autpgraphs for monetary reasons, in fact, I prefer to have them personalized, which makes them worthless to most autograph collectors.

*edit: I added some of the pictures I found of my autograph collection to my SSG Collectors Database, found here. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=53&thumb=1)

Tonysmo
02-25-2003, 04:38 AM
Now THAT is a cool collection. How long has it taken you to amass that many autos? I have maybe 20 I have received through the mail. I do have to express though, from your pictures, that is THE coolest thing I have seen in awhile.. an autographed photo of Sgt. Slaughter.. How cool. How and where did you get that??

QLD
02-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Well, it took me several years to amass all those autographed cards, but those aren't half of them really. I have several more pages, but I ran out of space on the server here to display the rest of the pics. The Sgt. Slaughter auto was obtained from a Video Game Electronics show, where he was there as a booth attraction for one of the companies, not sure which one.