PDA

View Full Version : There's a RAT in "separate"

stillakid
02-17-2003, 12:36 PM
There are far bigger problems in the world than a few misspellings here and there. I myself am guilty of it now and then, but I do try very hard to get it right.

I do enjoy reading the variety of posts here, and like Lord Tenebrous pointed out (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=110296#post110296), I get to practice my proofreading skills. But (and I'll blame this on my High School English teacher who drilled this into us on day 1), this consistent misspelling of "separate" is driving me crazy! :crazed: It isn't "seperate." It's sep-A-rate. As he liked to say, "there's A RAT in separate.

Anyone else have any "spelling" or memory tricks that they like to use?

mabudonicus
02-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Friends to the END (just like I before E, but friends seemed to cause different problems with the order of the two)

187-Maul
02-17-2003, 01:48 PM
I don't know if this was a joke and I'm too dumb to figure it out, but isn't there a "rat" in both "seperate" and "separate"?
and I have to say, I always thought it was "sepErate" too until my english teacher told us that in the last test, every single student in my class wrote it as "seperate" and not "separate"...:sur:

stillakid
02-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
I don't know if this was a joke and I'm too dumb to figure it out, but isn't there a "rat" in both "seperate" and "separate"?
and I have to say, I always thought it was "sepErate" too until my english teacher told us that in the last test, every single student in my class wrote it as "seperate" and not "separate"...:sur:

sep A RAT e

Jargo
02-17-2003, 06:16 PM
hmmm. There are various words that always trip me up. I skipped the class where they taught us about the endings of words. ally or aly or ly. ful or full. I don't think I do too badly though. I only get irritated when people consistently mispell things in a phonetical way. Character names from star wars for example. Names we come up against all the time that get posted time and time and time again. yet people get them so, so wrong. It's completely silly of course to get irritated about typos on a simple message board. This isn't exactly a literary meeting place. But perhaps a spell checker wouldn't go amiss.

I will admit that until I bought the brick separator from the Lego shop at home site I didn't realise I was spelling it wrong. I think it was just one of those words that my brain was substituting an 'e' in. A bit like how for years I thought Bespin was bespRin because that's how my brain read it. My brother eventually got so irate he hit me really hard and screamed at me "It's Bespin Bespin bespin BEEEESPIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I finally got the message.

I'm more concerned about non words though. Prolly for probably, that's my least favourite. I use 'gonna' and 'gotcha' and 'dontcha' sometimes but only in jest. Ultimately though it isn't really worth bothering about. You'll give yourself high blood pressure with stuff like this.

JediTricks
02-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Concerning the lack of conformity to the I-E-rule: "Weird" is spelled very weird. (yes, I know it should be "weirdly" at the end... isn't that weird? :D)

The confusion many folks have between "too" and "to" (which can sometimes change the entire meaning of a sentence) is a pet peeve of mine, and lately I've been seeing so much of it from reading the forums that I've started typing it to. ;)

LTBasker
02-17-2003, 09:16 PM
s0 p0s7s liek h7ls w0u|d |)rlv3 j00 /\/\ad?

Sorry, I just can't help it when it comes to grammar posts. :D It's hard to expect alot from on-line message boards, and yes some of the spelling and such can be bad to the point of being annoying, but theres definitely worse than just the misspelling of 'separate'. We could be over-run by leet speakers. ;)

stillakid
02-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
s0 p0s7s liek h7ls w0u|d |)rlv3 j00 /\/\ad?

Sorry, I just can't help it when it comes to grammar posts. :D It's hard to expect alot from on-line message boards, and yes some of the spelling and such can be bad to the point of being annoying, but theres definitely worse than just the misspelling of 'separate'. We could be over-run by leet speakers. ;)

I actually actively ignore posts by that guy Vulcantouch. It's just too hard to read what he's saying much less try to comprehend it at the same time. ee cummings can get away without proper capitalization. And run-on sentences et al can be poetic if used properly. But when simply imparting information, something gets lost in the translation.

Kidhuman
02-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Man I am a stickler for proof reading my posts. I will goback and edit if I misspelled a word that I see. The one word I always have problems with is neccessary. Is it 2 c's or 2 s's or both? I can never remember.

QLD
02-18-2003, 12:42 AM
One of the pet peeves I have, that I see often, is the incorrect using of they, they're, their, and there.

The 'Xir
02-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Looking at that pic of yours, my **** is *****-**** "to" ;) just kidding JT :D :p

QLD
02-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Marilyn is a timeless beauty!

JediTricks
02-18-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
s0 p0s7s liek h7ls w0u|d |)rlv3 j00 /\/\ad? You misspelled "this". :D

DarthChuckMc
02-18-2003, 08:43 PM
I have the worst time spelling remember. I always type remeber. My peeve is not in the written word, but spoken....When someone is talking to me, and uses the Seinfeld yadda yadda, or the new one, duh duhduh duh duh. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
My kids are doing it now.

wedgeA
02-18-2003, 09:02 PM
QLD,

Yeah, the there-their-they're issue is a pet peeve of mine too. On the boards, there is going to be some errors. My posts here contain errors that I would never have in any type of "official" writings. However, a couple of mistakes are fine, dozens are another story.

stillakid
02-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by wedgeA
QLD,

Yeah, the there-their-they're issue is a pet peeve of mine too. On the boards, there is going to be some errors. My posts here contain errors that I would never have in any type of "official" writings. However, a couple of mistakes are fine, dozens are another story.

You're right. There is going to be some errors. ;)

My cross to bear has been the proper use of apostrophes. Plurals are usually fine, but the possessives just kill me over and over again.

The 'Xir
02-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Man you guys are gettin' tight around here, I can't believe you * out QLD name in my post, oh well, but I didn't think it was in that poor of taste! :crazed: Anyways...

I have to admit the whole spelling thing can eerk me too! Sometimes I just let stuff go, but I always try to proofread my post before submitting them; and I always keep a dictionary, and/or thesaurus next to my computer desk. Hey! I'm getting stupid in my old age, so I gotta have a little help! :stupid: :happy:

stillakid
02-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by The 'Xir
Man you guys are gettin' tight around here, I can't believe you * out QLD name in my post, oh well, but I didn't think it was in that poor of taste! :crazed: Anyways...

I have to admit the whole spelling thing can eerk me too! Sometimes I just let stuff go, but I always try to proofread my post before submitting them; and I always keep a dictionary, and/or thesaurus next to my computer desk. Hey! I'm getting stupid in my old age, so I gotta have a little help! :stupid: :happy:

http://dictionary.reference.com

http://www.yourdictionary.com

irk (ūrk)
tr.v. irked, irk·ing, irks
To be irritating, wearisome, or vexing to. See Synonyms at annoy.
As in "stillakid really irks me with all that complaining."

:)

The Overlord Returns
02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
One of the more curious recurring errors I see on this board come up when people are mentioning Palpatine....

I've seen "Emperor" spelled "Emporer" so many times here......I now just take it as a given......

Fulit
02-19-2003, 01:23 PM
I've said it before, but it needs repeating until I never see it again. I HATE it when someone spells "lose" loose. Or "Loser" looser.

wedgeA
02-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
You're right. There is going to be some errors. ;)

My cross to bear has been the proper use of apostrophes. Plurals are usually fine, but the possessives just kill me over and over again.

See what I mean? I don't normally make "them kind" of mistakes when writing! I guess I don't quite understand why so many people, myself included, make these mistakes on the boards.

It must be "Da (Jedi) Tricks" engaging in his mastery of the dark arts, clouding our minds or something.

stillakid
02-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
See what I mean? I don't normally make "them kind" of mistakes when writing! I guess I don't quite understand why so many people, myself included, make these mistakes on the boards.

It must be "Da (Jedi) Tricks" engaging in his mastery of the dark arts, clouding our minds or something.

I think it's because we're not going to be graded by Professor SirSteve. Perhaps if points were deducted from our post totals for every infraction, we'd either see spotless posts or a lot of users with negative numbers. :sur:

Or it could be something else. For the longer, well-thought out discussions, it's easy to get caught up in the message inside your head to the point where you actually forget to include entire words or phrases.

For the short to the point posts, it's just that "quick reply" thought process where not a whole lot of effort is put in on any level.

I think that's the case for most people. Of course, some people just can't spell or write very well to begin with.

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Would we consider this forum a formal writing forum?

QLD
02-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Maybe this will help. :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com

stillakid
02-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Would we consider this forum a formal writing forum?

It's not a question of this or that forum being "formal." It's a matter of expressing and presenting your ideas as intelligently as possible.

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Maybe this will help.

http://www.urbandictionary.com

Look up the definition of blood. I'm still laughing.
:D

James Boba Fettfield
02-19-2003, 04:18 PM
I just wanted to know which set of grammar rules I should be striving to follow. I like contractions, and wanted to make sure they would still be accepted.

Kidhuman
02-19-2003, 06:23 PM

You and me both.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 12:48 AM
My cross to bear has been the proper use of apostrophes. Plurals are usually fine, but the possessives just kill me over and over again. I have some trouble with the possessive of "it" because "it's" is a contraction, NOT possessive (which is "its"). Another one like that for me is "sentence", I always think it's spelled with an "a". Then there's my subtle dyslexia which made that "Ignore list" announcement a bit embarrassing for me.

Sorry Xir, had to do it. But you and I know what you said, ain't that enough? :D

The 'Xir
02-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Uuuummmm...Nope! :p :p :p Just call me greedy! :D

S-A-K I knew that someone would jump on that! Gosh darn it! Of course it had to be you! :rolleyes: I looked at (eerk) about 20 x's saying there's got to be something wrong with that!

I dunn tol'joo I bin gitti' stuped in mI oldur aig!!!!!!! :stupid:

QLD
02-21-2003, 09:59 PM

Oh my god! Who wrote that!? OMG!

stillakid
04-02-2003, 01:50 PM
No names, just the words. :)

Is that fact, or fictshone?

Seperatists

bobafrett
04-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Well, all through High School, I was in the lower english class, because of a test we took during junior high. I don't know all the rules for spelling, punctuation, and basic sentence structure. As someone pointed out earlier, they had a pet peeve with a person not knowing when to use they're, their, and there. I'm one of those people. I even try doing spell check with my e-mail program before posting a word that I'm not sure about here. I would have misspelled three words in this paragraph alone had I not used it.

Patient Zero
04-02-2003, 02:37 PM
I have said it before and I'll say it again: Spell checker has destroyed my generations ability to spell. Hell, when I am posting here I have Word open and just cut & paste after I check the spelling.

darthvyn
04-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
I have said it before and I'll say it again: Spell checker has destroyed my generations ability to spell. Hell, when I am posting here I have Word open and just cut & paste after I check the spelling.

it's like solitaire on the computer will create a generation of people that can play the game really well, yet when handed a deck of cards, won't know how to deal! :crazed:

Darth Jax
04-02-2003, 11:27 PM
sorry it's a habit i've had for too long, just can't seem to properly capitalize words. or maybe my keyboard is just 'shift' deficient. started in grade school when a teacher told us to try and not capitalize 'i' when referring to oneself (supposed to give you a different view of the world, i adopted it to annoy other teachers). just naturally evolved from there to include very few if any capitalized letters. grammar of posts is generally intact, so hopefully understanding is there as well. spelling mistakes and grammatical errors i can generally overlook, net-speak annoys me though.

stillakid
04-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Darth Jax
sorry it's a habit i've had for too long, just can't seem to properly capitalize words. or maybe my keyboard is just 'shift' deficient. started in grade school when a teacher told us to try and not capitalize 'i' when referring to oneself (supposed to give you a different view of the world, i adopted it to annoy other teachers). just naturally evolved from there to include very few if any capitalized letters. grammar of posts is generally intact, so hopefully understanding is there as well. spelling mistakes and grammatical errors i can generally overlook, net-speak annoys me though.

ee cummings would be proud :)

Eternal Padawan
04-02-2003, 11:52 PM
There's a certain forumite (and I won't name names) who insists on spelling movie "moive"....that always burns me.

And I noticed everyone is proof reading their posts in this thread extra carefully ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
04-03-2003, 12:12 AM
You no stillakid, thanks to you're thread here, I won't forget how too spell separate because of A RAT, not that I had trouble spelling it before as I always sound those trouble words out phonetically in my mind. As for other people's posts, it seems there being very carefull concerning they're spelling errors and such, like EP mentioned above.

heheheeeeeeeeeee
;)

Darth Jax
04-03-2003, 11:17 PM
some of the worst offenders haven't posted anything in this thread.

2-1B
04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
some of the worst offenders haven't posted anything in this thread.

Care to name names, DJ ? :)

There are rats in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I've said it before, but it needs repeating until I never see it again. I HATE it when someone spells "lose" loose. Or "Loser" looser.Yes, I've seen that on this board a fair amount. I'm not sure where people get that spelling. Sometimes I wonder if it is done intentionally.

I have some trouble with the possessive of "it" because "it's" is a contraction, NOT possessive (which is "its").Whenever I have to stop and think about which one to use, I just see how it sounds if I insert "it is" instead.

One mistake I see quite often is misspelling "definite" as "definate". Just remember that it is just like "finite" or "infinite".

CaptainSolo1138
04-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I am willing to admit that I suck at "its" and "it's". If you notice, I always leave out the apostrophe. That way I can always say, "Oh. I must've forgot it."

Besides, I'm a history teacher. I gots no need for English.lol

Mad Slanted Powers
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I am willing to admit that I suck at "its" and "it's". If you notice, I always leave out the apostrophe. That way I can always say, "Oh. I must've forgot it."

But as a history teacher, you should know that those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2008, 09:32 PM

I second that....add me to the club of history teachers who dont know how to be using english well!!

CaptainSolo1138
04-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I second that....add me to the club of history teachers who dont know how to be using english well!!I'm certainly not deficient in the area of English (and I'm not saying you are), it just isn't as big a deal to me if I spell the occasional word wrong or if I do put "it's" rather than "its".

I'm not even sure if it is (see what I did there?) something I'd even bother marking on papers and such. They have an English class that'll bust their balls about it. Unless their English teacher starts reviewing individual Crusades for me, I'm not going to care about small grammar things.

2-1B
04-26-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm certainly not deficient in the area of English (and I'm not saying you are), it just isn't as big a deal to me if I spell the occasional word wrong or if I do put "it's" rather than "its".

It's a big deal to me if you do. :deuce:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I got into an argument with a colleague over the spelling of the word "separate" and told her that it was obviously spelled "seperate" since I have written and typed it a million times without ever having that red line appear under it on Microsoft Word.

Hence, to prove that she was wrong I pulled up word and typed "separate" on the screen and lo and behold, I finally realized that Word has "separate" on auto-fix and that I was wrong all the time.

I do pride myself on my spelling, and as a teacher, I get sick of kids asking me "How do you spell . . . . .?" and tell them to either "sound it out," or look it up. The laziness in them sounds it out rather than lug their lazy asses out of their chair to grab a dictionary.

However, I am a hypocrite in a sense, because as much as I stress "self-editing" and "going back to reread for mistakes," just about every worksheet or presentation I have created contains a grammatical error of some sort.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Hence, to prove that she was wrong I pulled up word and typed "separate" on the screen and lo and behold, I finally realized that Word has "separate" on auto-fix and that I was wrong all the time.That auto-fix feature can be used to great effect in a prank.