PDA

View Full Version : Are you excited by what Hasbro showed of the Clone Wars Collection at Toy Fair?

Tycho
02-17-2003, 02:09 PM
The Clone Wars are no time for bad indecision!

If the Cannon's paid for, will you take the Universe?

Some will say the Yoda and new Clone Wars figures & vehicles rock!

Others are thinking "Poncho-Yoda and lime-flavored starfighters aren't for me!"

One way or another the Imperial Revolution is getting it on!

What's your take on Hasbro at Toy Fair?

Beast
02-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Stuff looks pretty good to me, can't wait to see more of it. Not all of it is EU stuff though, so everyone should be able to find things that they like. The aqua Jedi Starfighter is from a Deleted Scene from AOTC's. And of course the CloneTroopers, Droids, Hailfire Droid, Geonosian Fighter, etc. are all from AOTC's as well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jblodgett
02-17-2003, 03:10 PM
I like it. But then, I liked Shadows of the Empire too.

Vortex
02-17-2003, 03:14 PM
I chose NOT, at this time, until I see something on the pegs, or more figures or photos.

I'm jazzed at the prospect of new and different figures, outfits, and new card style. Yoda...is iffy, the troopers I would like, and I'd have to see more to make a good decision. The droids look the same old, same old, cept that battle droid launcher sound interesting. I think most would make a cool addition to my collection. And I'm in the camp of people who like the EU stories and figures...even thought I passed on those concept airspeeders, swoop, and whatever that last of the 3 was. I liked the snowobi-wan, the jedi training gear items and the sith training maul. Loved the shadows line, and the Mara Jade line, but I am actually interested in seeing more of the line...if its just a new cloke here, bandolier there, I may pass...but I'll wait a bit, BUT here's the NOT part.

I had to moan, scowl, fume, grind my teeth, when I seen the re-paint on the ships. The new gunship paint job looks bad in the photo and I'll have to think hard about dropping another 40 bucks on that thing, especially when they are currently discounted for 17 or so. I think EE had them up for pre-order and they were tipping in somewhere in the 30's. The Tank, Starfighter, Gunship, already had their day, collected dust, got marked way down and now they are trying it again. I just have to shake my head. I'm more upset about seeing a rehash of old ships with a new deco job on them. That hit the hardest and left the biggest impression.

If the bulk of the line is a new paint job or little things added to old figures and ships, I will probably pass on this line, but until I see more figures, details on things I'm not overly excited. Hasbros track record for rehash has me believing that some if not most figures will be re-issued with some splash of paint or facial expression...

Quite-Gone Jim
02-17-2003, 03:53 PM
I said it's OK. I like the figures, but vehicles with new paint jobs don't appeal to me (maybe if they had a cool new figure, but just a ship doesn't).

I'd rather see more figures from the movies that had speaking lines, but I do like the army builder sets of clone troops and droids coming out.

rdrunr89
02-17-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm looking forward to the new toys despite Yoda looking like a bad version of Rambo. The one I really want is the Hailfire Droid. Thats cool.

Rogue II
02-17-2003, 04:02 PM
I will not buy a single thing in that picture.

stillakid
02-17-2003, 04:49 PM
For some time now, I've tried my best to be a good Hasbro citizen as a completist.

Even the EU stuff from before had some cartoony appeal.

But something about the new stuff isn't quite doing it for me. Don't know why just yet. Maybe it's because there's so much actual film stuff I'd like to see first. Maybe it's because the Prequels are fading from my interest radar as the days wear on. Perhaps when I see it in person I'll change my mind. I'll put this issue in the "wait and see" column.

Jerjerrod
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
"Excited? That's hardly enough to get me excited." No, but seriously, I have to see more to judge. Right now, it doesn't look too impressive, but I forsee this will be a great line this year. The Clone trooper 3-pack seems to be leading the pack. (Ooops, I used "pack" twice in the same sentence) :p

c_richards
02-17-2003, 06:01 PM
While I am happy to see Clone Wars spun off into it's own line, I am more intrigued with the statement that Hasbro released saying that there was not only toys, but "entertainment."

Taken diretly from the Hasbro Press Release on starwars.hasbro.com

"As kids and collectors continue to enjoy re-living the adventure of the Star Wars saga through Hasbro's toy line, they will be excited with the news of new Clone Wars-themed toys and entertainment in 2003. Clone Wars is Lucasfilm's story of good and evil and the galactic conflict that takes place between Star Wars Episodes II and III."

The part that strikes me in particular is: "news of new Clone Wars-themed toys and entertainment in 2003."

Entertainment in my interpretation... a "cartoon"? I recall reading about Lucas talking with Cartoon Network to develop a show based on Clone Wars, but last thing I had read it didn't get very far, and a lot of people were thinking it wasn't going to make it to air, or if it did, would be on very late as part of Toonami Midnight Run, or Adult Swim.

Does anyone have any updated news on that? Is there a show in the works? Will it be Cell or CGI? I would love to see it all CGI, since it's been proven that they can make an effective, photo-realistic CGI character (Yoda, Clone Troopers, Even Jar Jar).

If the show is a success, and the toys represent the show well... I can see this being another huge cash cow for Lucas!!!!!!!

Until the next time.....
MTFBWY!

dr_evazan22
02-17-2003, 06:14 PM
It's OK, I'll wait and see.

There are only 2 things that really interest me- the Clone 3pack and the Hailfire droid.

Looking forward to being able to build larger armies of clones and droids. I'll probably get the fig's when I see them, but for now, I'll wait for the other toys to go on clearance.

jedi-cpa
02-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Episode 1 ATT? Or is it different?

Thanks.

Beast
02-17-2003, 07:20 PM
It's a re-issue, we don't know yet if the tank will have any new detailing or not. The one on display at Toy Fair didn't seem to look very different. But it's nice to see it re-issued, since quite a few people seem to have missed it when it came out for E1. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedi-cpa
02-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks Jar Jar

JediTricks
02-17-2003, 08:20 PM
So far, I'm saying "no" because that Yoda just screams "Malibu Stacy with new hat"... and this hat is waaaaaaaay out of character. The figures, the Hailfire droid, and the Geonosian Fighter are all straight from AOTC so I'm not gauging them in this line, but the repainted vehicles don't do anything for me unless they fix the cockpit problems on the Jedi Starfighter.

The high amount of recycling just makes this line seem like a quick-buck retread right now and the packaging doesn't thrill me. Perhaps there will be more to this line or it'll have more of a character-driven feel to it when it hits, but for now it seems primarily like it wants to be GI Joe.

Turbowars
02-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Well I'm happy to see this stuff, I like most of it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy it all. The strange thing is, the TF is for retail and collectors right? I say this, because I had no clue there was a fair for toys until I got deep into this hobby. The average Joe will never see this stuff, until it's on the pegs and they will go, "What is this stuff?" that's if we leave a figure or 2. So with that said, I hope there is a cartoon, so this line will live longer than 1 wave. Heck, look at the Star Tours line, It's made after a huge ride at DL and they can't even get the last 2-3 figures out. I really wish I knew someone deep inside Hasbros closed doors to see the monkeys at work. It's probably like Willy Wooka's factory. Hasbro's Ever Lasting Gum, (GOB?) stopper, is Ephant Mon. :D So at this time I like what I see.

shabo451
02-17-2003, 09:03 PM
I said Yes. I realize most of these are reissues, but nevertheless am looking forward to them. I'm especially looking forward to the army building sets.

I've been reading more and more recently about how they (Hasbro) aren't doing this right or making what people really want. I, for one, appreciate some variety. When I was a kid and got the Imperial Troop Transport, I didn't gripe about how it wasn't from the movie (it actually did show up in a couple of issues of Marvel's series). I just had a great tiime with it because it added to my collection.

Basically, I'd rather have Hasbro try new things than just kill the line like Playmates did with Star Trek.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't buy it

DarthBrandon
02-17-2003, 09:16 PM
There are only two things so far that I'm interested in. One is the Clone Trooper Pack and two is the Jedi Starfighter in that new funky color. Other than that, I'm not going to be spending a whole lot of money on this (IMO) boring new line. Like I said a hundred times before, I'm not really interested in a Gazillion Yoda's, Mace's etc. The Clone Troopers are simply needed to build armies and I sure as hell don't armies of Yoda's and Anakinís etc. As for the Starfighter, rehashed or not I like the new color and plan on having at least four of them. (Two of each color) It seems when Hasbro runs out of fresh new ideas they get nuttier and nuttier every time, pretty soon we are going to see everything on new cards; but nothing is going to be new but the card itself.:D

Kidhuman
02-17-2003, 11:44 PM
I can't wait to see the new figs. They look pretty good. All lines of figures have their good and bad but hopefully we can get some figures that haven't been introduced yet.

jesterX
02-18-2003, 12:09 AM
I am going to buy one of each. I just wish that they would make the green and the blue clone troopers. But I still think that the new stuuf looks cool so far.

erlo9
02-18-2003, 12:37 AM
We are finally getting the Armies we asked for in the Clone Trooper and Droid packs. You need alot of Clone regular foot soldiers and RED droids to make a good Genosian Battle scene. I will certainly buy the Genosian Fighter and the Hailfire droid. The repaints maybe not, unless they have unique functions not found on the originals. > About the Star Wars animation cartoons. Remember the Starship Troopers Roughnecks done in CGI. Something along those lines would be easy for Star wars animators to do. I think it would be highly profitable. Think of all the toys they could sell on saturday mornings.

SirSteve
02-18-2003, 12:46 AM
I think it stinks Hasbro didn't show to the media at Toy Fair.

skeeziks22
02-18-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by jedi-cpa
"Is the ATT tank just a repack of the Episode 1 ATT? Or is it different?"

I thought the same, but it looks like the droid sticking out the top is different. Before it was just a flip up piece... other than that I bet it is identical (except for Hasbro's famous "battle damage")

I am looking forward to this new line of figures. However, I can't believe they (Hasbro) haven't taken advantage of the bestselling New Jedi Order books. I like the past EU stuff and hope they produce some New Republic Jedi and Vong etc. I'd rather see that than Clone Wars figures, but I'll take what I can get. NOW, let's get some of the last three + waves of figures in Alaska.
I haven't seen Ephant Mon, or anything since him up here... the shelves are bare so that's not the issue. Can anyone tell me why I have seen the red destroyer, yoda high jedi and nothing else since before christmas?

Beast
02-18-2003, 03:25 AM
The droid stuck in the top, doesn't come with the toy.

Armored Assault Tank (AAT) (figure not included)
There was never a flip up piece with the original tank, there was a level that raised the figure you put into the cockpit though. They just stuck one of the Red Battle Droids in it, for display purposes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
02-18-2003, 08:34 AM
I chose NOT! First of all what did they show? Pretty much nothing. And whatever they did show, pretty much sucks. WHat happened to the days of cool figures. Each day that passes, my interest in this line diminishes. I am no longer a completist, I will buy what i like, and it isn't much.

Imperial Loyalist
02-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Clone Trooper pack a must.
Rambo-Yoda not interested - reminds me of the much hated R5-D4 concept with the shooting missiles which was largely panned by collectors (but I'll buy it anyway because I am a Star Wars figure lemming).
Can't financially afford to be a completist when it comes to vehicles so the only vehicle would be the hail-fire missle droid that must make it into my collection.

Is the hail-fire missile droid technicially a figure or a vehicle?

jedi master sal
02-18-2003, 09:34 AM
As a big Army builder this new line is great for me!

Three pack of clones! (I just hope they'll be all white and not two white and 1 yellow like it seems it's going to be)
Also RED battle droids! They only way to get these so far is either the Target accessory set which is a rip at $10 a pop or the elusive Mace/Battle droid deluxe set. Yes there was a set with the red BD, I got two of them.

If the Super BD is a different sculpt and a three pack for $10, I will undoubtedly buy a couple of packs.

Curious that they didn't show the Jedi three pack. i will probably only buy one of these IF they are of non-descript Jedi. If they are repacks of existing figs I think these will be the biggest pegwarmers of this new line.

HAILFIRE Droid! YES! I look forward greatly to having about 4 of these bad .....'s

Geonosian fighters, hell yea! I'll get two of these for sure.

I heard the new gunship will have electronics, if so then I WILL get at least one. If not and it's the same mold as the previous then I'll pass as I already have two gunships

I imagine I'll get one of the aquamarine Jedi Starfighters.

Commando Yoda! Yeah, I'll get one for the novelty of the item.

All in all this is a great line to revitalize SW collecting. At least for Army builders and I think kids as well. Completists no, carded collectors maybe not, but this line definitely has an appeal to many others. I greatly look forward to they're release, just wish I didn't have to wait until the fall as indicated by press release they put out.

otisdodge
02-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by brandon
There are only two things so far that I'm interested in. One is the Clone Trooper Pack and two is the Jedi Starfighter in that new funky color. Other than that, I'm not going to be spending a whole lot of money on this (IMO) boring new line. Like I said a hundred times before, I'm not really interested in a Gazillion Yoda's, Mace's etc. The Clone Troopers are simply needed to build armies and I sure as hell don't armies of Yoda's and Anakinís etc. As for the Starfighter, rehashed or not I like the new color and plan on having at least four of them. (Two of each color) It seems when Hasbro runs out of fresh new ideas they get nuttier and nuttier every time, pretty soon we are going to see everything on new cards; but nothing is going to be new but the card itself.:D

They already did that. It was called the POTF green card line, remember. I am sure we can look forward to plenty of that in the future--always using the kids as an excuse, for sure.

I can't believe you are excited about re-paints. Buy one yourself on clearance and paint it yourself. Don't support this drivel.

The Yoda sucks.

I don't think a lot of people got the AAT (including me), so that is cool.

I am excited about the hailfire droid and the geonosian fighter and the clone commander (hope he ends up being a different pose). Just a note, there was a disclaimer on the Hasbro website saying that the army builders they used for the display were preview clones--not necessarily representative.

Do you think there's any chance of an AT-TE based on this mess.

scruffziller
02-18-2003, 11:58 AM
I said OK because I can't afford it!!!:cry:
Those Gentle Giant busts look COOL!!!

LusiferSam
02-18-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm going to have to wait and see. Its unlikely I'll buy re-issued figures and less that I'll I get re-issue vehicles. But some of the new stuff like the Hailfire droid look cool. Also in the last couple of months factors ranging from school to not being able to find stuff, I find that my over all interest has reach an all time low. So low interest and hard to find produces combined with few items that I want may stop me from collecting newer stuff. Tis a sad day went that happens.

187-Maul
02-18-2003, 12:57 PM
I also voted for ok, cause the only two things I'm really interested in is the clonetrooper 3-pack and Unleashed Luke, the other stuff like Hailfire Droid looks cool but I have no need for it

Jargo
02-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Well no choices on the poll were to my liking so I didn't actually vote.
I like it all bar the unleashed crud and the repainted gunship.
I love the clones three pack and the droid set is fine for army building. I'll buy at least five of each. Yoda looks fine to me and i love his little floating command station with fold down legs. Geo fighter and hailfire drid are really nice and just for variety and as a deleted scene authentic vessel i'll get the jedi starfighter. The AAT I bought already so unless they do a really nice paint job i'll leave that. The rest of the stuff like Anaking suped up starfighter sound interesting but if it's all gimmicked up I'll probably pass. the clone commando with swoop and mandalorian with swoop sound very interesting as i love the smaller speeders. As long as the commando doesn't have removable armor like that last crappy deluxe clone.
It's a crying shame that a lot this stuff didn't come on regular saga cards and packaging. But heyho, i love the new packaging. Bright bold and fresh. By the looks of this I'll only be leaving the gunship because the paint job so far looks poo and the price is too high. Yeah and that horrid unleashed trash. But technically I say bring it all on with faint reservations about backing this whole venture...

And I find it highly amusing how people who went out and bought Santa Threepio and reindeer R2 in a tacky snow globe are dissin' Yoda in his waistcoat and sash. Which is the more ridiculous? Far as i'm concerned it's a logical step for Yoda to get active and kick some butt whereas Santa Threepio is just sooooooo out of character...... talk about double standards ;)

JediTricks
02-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
the TF is for retail and collectors right? I say this, because I had no clue there was a fair for toys until I got deep into this hobby. The average Joe will never see this stuff, until it's on the pegs Toy Fair is primarily for showing retailers what toys they'll be able to order in the coming year and so toy companies can garner enough retailer interest to get a line to market. Secondarily, it presents these toys and toy concepts to the media, the networks usually do 1 or 2 Toy Fair news stories showing off what is there, and this also builds interest in the various lines shown.

Originally posted by shabo451
I, for one, appreciate some variety.To me, this line doesn't seem like more variety, it seems like it's less variety, taking away other SW movie figures while giving us standard Hasbro repaints and redecos (look at the early waves of Transformers and GI Joe from back in the '80s, nearly every TF had a repainted version and almost every Joe from the first wave had the same body). I won't lie, I'll probably buy a few pieces from this line like the Jedi troop builder 3pack, but I'm far from excited by it.

skeeziks22
02-19-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks [/i]
"The droid stuck in the top, doesn't come with the toy.

There was never a flip up piece with the original tank"

Two things... 1)The flip up thing I was thinking about was actually the panel on the front that switched to show a damaged droid.

2) I didn't buy the tank originally because it was not packed with a figure. Hasbro could pack any random figure in with a ship and I'd buy it as was testimony by sticking an R2 unit in with the Royal starship. I did not buy any of the new ships without figures until the price was more than cut in half. Maybe they sat on the shelves so long because other people feel like I do. Pack in and I'll buy it!
The "new" tank... I will not buy it this time around either.

Darth Cruel
02-19-2003, 10:54 AM
I am VERY excited to SEE the new Clone line. But buy it? I am getting more and more comfortable with my buying hiatus every day, and with every stupid idea Hasbro throws at us like we were a pack of yard dogs begging for a bone. Not participating in Toy Fair was a slap in the face. It may be redeemed by how they present their stuff on their 'site, but I don't hold much hope. Hasbro's arogance is a bigger and bigger bone of contention for me every day.

mtriv73
02-19-2003, 01:10 PM
I'd like to see a better balance of new and old trilogy figures. I have loved everything I've seen at retail this year so far. The Clone wars toys shown at Toy Fair worry me though. I guess with the possibility of the Clone Wars cartoon etc. coming out, Hasbro is targeting kids instead of collectors. I can't blame them. There are a lot more kids than collectors and I know that when I was a kid I wanted everything I saw on T.V. I just hope that Hasbro doesn't end up alienating collectors with rehashed vehicles and G.I. Yoda's with kung-fu grip. Hasbro only showed a small segment of what they have planned for the year, so I'll reserve judgement until I see these things on the pegs.

skeeziks22
02-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Why is everyone so upset about Hasbro not showing at Toy Fair? Who cares? Do any of you go to it? Do we not all see a lot of sneak peeks at upcoming toys well before they come out anyways? We see sneak peeks of toys that don't ever come out (wave 2 cantina), so why just keep teasing yourselves with more...

I long for the day when I was surprised at what I saw on the peg... not on the web.

SirSteve
02-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by skeeziks22
Why is everyone so upset about Hasbro not showing at Toy Fair? Who cares? Do any of you go to it? Do we not all see a lot of sneak peeks at upcoming toys well before they come out anyways? We see sneak peeks of toys that don't ever come out (wave 2 cantina), so why just keep teasing yourselves with more...

I long for the day when I was surprised at what I saw on the peg... not on the web.

You'll soon find out why...

Rogue II
02-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Another mysterious post from SirSteve. I hate it when he knows stuff and doesn't tell.;)

Kidhuman
02-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Ditto Rouge II

Beast
02-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Steve is hinting at the private retailer/press showing at Hasbro's RI offices that is coming up in March. That's when they will have a large showroom and show the new products. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 12:38 AM
You know what this line reminds me of? The "Droids" line, a very cartoony cartoon and the figures aren't cartoony at all because most are repaints.

gsr-jedi
02-21-2003, 01:53 AM
I voted not for now, but I'll admit that I'll probably look forward to this more with the animated shorts later this year. Either way I'm a sucker and will end up buying all the figures anyways, so what does it matter, they're still getting my money.

TheDarthVader
02-22-2003, 12:41 AM
I voted yes, excited because of the fact that Hasbro is finally bringing back the screen scenes! I have always loved the screen scenes!!!!!

Pete
02-22-2003, 10:17 AM
I don't think this is a terribly illogical step for hasbro. If you remember a couple issues ago in toyfare that had an article about this whole expanded universe they were going to move into after ROTJ came out, but the line died. So I'd attribute this a little more credit.

As far as what I'm going to get, I've never been much into the vehicles, I wind up buying them and having nearly nowhere to put them by this point.

The figures however, I'd say battle droid and clone packs are a must, yoda's going to have to come home (maybe I can cut that bandolier off!), but otherwise nothing looked to...exciting. I do however love the new removable helmet vader they're coming out with EXCEPT he's got a STUPID lightsaber chucking action feature thing that makes one whole side of his body look ridiculous, if you look closely at the picture on hasbro's website you can see it. It's like the second Aragorn figure toybiz released for LOTR with the "arrow shooting action" when it was more like "look my body's 1/3 too big and my arms ball joint sticks out to a foolish degree"' action. But I'm not bitter!:rolleyes:

toyreaver
02-24-2003, 11:47 PM
I like the idea, but Hasbro needs to revamp their production area or get some new ideas in with the old. Maybe they (Hasbro) should send a poll out to kids and collectors and see what the consumers want for a change.

Turbowars
02-25-2003, 11:28 AM
Well we just had a fan figure poll and we are getting 2 OT figures of my dreams, but I know what you mean.

[list=1]
Ask if we want more OT figures, which the Fan Poll answered
Ask if we want a EU line, which had failed in the pasted.
Ask us if we want super posed figure.
Ask us if we want cheap gimmicks
Ask us if we want quality figures, not what we have been getting.
[/list=1] Please remember that these are my thoughts and should be treated as so. Now you may attack. :D ;)

chrisc
02-25-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm very happy to see this stuff. The Jedi Star Fighter and Republic Gunship are kinda stupid, but the rest is realy cool. I like the hailfire droid and the geonosian fighter. I'm also glad the AAT is coming out. I just hope they get circulated this time because I never saw them in stores at all the last time they were released, and they went for sick prices on E-bay. I would love to have two or three of those. As for the clone troopers, bring em on because I could never find the preview clone troopers that much, and when I did find 'em I never had the seven dollars to pay for them. The only ones that I have are the red and yellow one's. Thanks Hasbro!

I have two clone trooper pilot's for trade. PM me with a offer if you want 'em:crazed: