PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR perfect collection of Star Wars 12" figures?

Darth Christopher
02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
After reading the "Dear Hasbro, why did you screw up the Ep II 12 inch figures?" posts, I decided to start a new thread asking collectors which 12" figures they'd keep if weeding out all the ones that suck and keeping just your favorites? I personally stopped being a completionist with the 12" line when I saw the Episode II figures. None of them excited me at all, except for Count Dooku and Jango Fett, which I bought. It made sense to me to get the Episode II bad guys anyway. If they come out with a new 12" scale Yoda wielding his light saber, I'll probably get him too since he'd look cool next to Dooku. So with that said, I plan to start weeding out all my 12" figures, by starting with the Episode I figures I think suck, and again probably just keeping 12" Darth Maul and 12" Darth Maul on Speeder Bike, as well as 12" Qui Gon Jin (the first version). But I'll probably continue getting all the original trilogy figures that come out, since that's where my passion lies. And I'll probably keep my complete line of Collector Series figures since it was the first to come out since the vintage 12" line, plus I have the first 12" Chewbacca with dark blue background. By the way, I keep my figures mint in mint box, and only collect the 12" line, except for a few 3 1/2" figures here and there. The only figure I opened so far was one of the two 14" Darth Vaders I purchased. I also bought extras of all the 12" Bounty Hunters and an extra 12" Electronic Boba Fett to display out-of-box together one day. But again, coming soon is yet another Han Solo from a New Hope! So which of the previous 12" Han Solos should I eliminate? By "eliminate", I mean sell off. I already have the European exclusive 12" Han Solo, so should I get the new one, or sell the similar European exclusive? I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this subject. I mean, collecting every Star Wars 12" figure that came out was getting way out of hand for me, taking up too much space. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Please Hasbro, PLEASE make more 12" cantina creatures, including a 12" Hammerhead and a 12" Snaggletooth!!! :)

mini-rock
02-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Personally I have no desire to get rid or weed out any of my 12" figures. No, I take that back. I did get rid of all my duplicates since I saw no need to collect more than one of a figure. That was it though. I love all the figures I have, which is all of them, and I'm anxious to get new ones. If anything I wish Hasbro would release more in a year than what they do, but I'll take what I can get.

Darth Christopher, regarding which Han you should get IMO it should be both. That's what I'd do.:D

derek
02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
if your figures take up to much space, open them all up. i store mine in a 31 gallon tote box made by rubbermade.

if you try to sell them off, you're probably not going to get what you paid for most of them. my advice is to open them up and display them all, except for those 2 furry chewbaccas. those are the worst 12 inch figures ever made.:crazed:

JediTricks
02-18-2003, 08:35 PM
EEP! Those poor lightsabers are gonna get broken!!!

The 12"-scale figures I'd definitely keep are:
R2-D2
R2 w/ tools
R5-D4
Yoda
Jawa
Luke Jedi (single boxed)
Luke X-wing
Luke Bespin
Vader electronic
Leia Boushh (from KB 3pack)
Biker Scout w/ speederbike
Maul w/ speederbike
Han Endor
Leia Bespin
IG-88
Obi-Wan (ANH, both of 'em)
Han w/ Tauntaun
Luke w/ Wampa (actually, I might not keep the Wampa itself)
Bib Fortuna w/ Luke 2pack
Ep 1 Obi-Wan
Lando
Leia ANH
Removable Limbs 3PO
Bossk
Royal Guard
Snowtrooper
Dooku

jpak001
02-18-2003, 09:24 PM
I would go with the new Han just because I think the gun & belt are detailed much better.

I already weeded out most of my collection, here's what I still actually have:

All six bounty hunters (w/elec Boba)
14' Vader (customized with the cape, boots & lightsaber handle from the vader/maul 2 pack)
All three Masterpiece editions
Target carbonite Han
Leia Boushh (from the KB 3pack)
Maul w/speeder
Dooku
Ultimate Jango Fett
Emperor Palpatine
All of the six inchers, classic & Ep1 except the 1st R2. Dont need him when I have the WM exclusive (my Anakin is customized w/podracer helmet)

I really want to get the Jedi Luke from the FAO 2pack too, maybe someday I'll find it on ebay or something:D Also want an EpII Anakin, but have been dissapointed with Hasbros releases of him so far..... Ugly heads, and waaaaaay too short. He was a tall dude!

gtrain29
02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
I couldn't weed out any of mine. I just love the 12" line. Although, I must concede that the originaly trilogy figures mean a lot more to me.
I don't think it works to keep them in the box, though. They really look bad that way; plus it's so much more fun to pose them. Besides the packaging all has sucked since the collector series where it seemed to make an effort to look vintage style.
I just hope they keep making more!

mini-rock
02-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by derek
i store mine in a 31 gallon tote box made by rubbermade.

THE HORROR!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

bobafrett
02-18-2003, 11:56 PM
I couldn't part with any of my 12" figures. I don't have all of them, but the ones I'm most proud of, are the 6 cantinia band members, and the 2 tuskens w/ different weapons. If I didn't like it, I just didn't buy it. Take for example the epI battle droid. I couldn't see wasting $20 on this simple piece of plastic. I picked up 2 of EPI Obi Wam, Qui Gon, and Darth Maul. One to stay in the box, one to set up doing battle. I was really impressed by how detailed the robes were on those three figures. If I found a figure that I liked on clearance, I bought a second one, like dagaboh Luke, Han, and the Stormtrooper. I also bought 2 of the Sandtrooper W/dewback. Because of the limited space in my apartment, and my ever growing SW collection, I stack the boxes neatly like books in a library, then if I want to look at a particular figure I can pull it out and put it back when I'm done.

Ook
02-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Some of the absolute best in my opinion are:

Jango
Bossk
Windu (AOTC)
Scout w/ speeder
Anakin (Masterpiece)
Dooku
Maul
Bib Fortuna
IG-88
Vader (w/ helmet & sound)
Tusken

I just got Mace today, and I'm really impressed. The head sculpt is brilliant. Looks just like Jackson, and has life in its face. The outfit, articulation, everthing's great. Except, of course, the lack of a cloak.

Others I have that I really like are Yoda, cantina musician, 100th Luke (or whatever it was called...), Jedi Luke, Ackbar, clone trooper, Dengar, Zuckuss and Walrusman.

SW 12" are really hit & miss. Some are brilliant; many are crap; a lot in between are really fun, wether they're exceptional in quality or not. I buy what I like. I'm big on aliens, but I buy others, too.

Bane Malor
02-19-2003, 07:48 AM
I am week. I like them all. I know some are better than others but I won't part with them. I just choose not to buy all of them anymore. If I had to pick and choose I'd definately never get rid of these:

Vader/Maul 2pack
Scout Trooper/Speederbike
Luke/Speederbike
Cantina Band Set
Han/Hoth
Luke/100th
Boss Nass
Tusken raider/Gaderffi Stick
All the ESB Bounty Hunters
Who am I kidding I won't get rid of any :)

The True Maul
02-20-2003, 07:43 AM
I store mine proud on my shelf in my bedroom for all to see, some I like some I don't. But I do the same thing mini-rock does I don't get rid of them just give the extras away. :)

bobafrett
02-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Derek, I just saw your pictures, and it looks like a mass grave for 12" figures. AHHHHHH! I'm currently packing mine away, but it's only because I'll be moving in about 2 months, and I have a lot of SW toys to box up yet for the move.

Jaff
02-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Got mine all around my room, every single classic 12" from Han Solo to Dengar but for some reason I never bought one Episode I or II 12". I didn't even get Dooku, though I was very tempted to get him. Can't wait for the Gamorrean and Lando in Skiff. Heck I'm even excited about the AT-ST Driver. However the Han is $20 to replace something I already have so I'll pass on that one.

Darth Christopher
03-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for your reply posts. You know what, I'm starting to cave and buy the AOTC 12" figures, God help me! I went to Toys R Us this past weekend and saw the 12" Geonosian Warrior. I thought he looked pretty cool! But his box was pretty beat up, so I'm shopping for a better looking one. But I did pick up a 12" Super Battle Droid and Zam for $9.99 each at a KB Toys. But I still dislike the first set of AOTC 12" wave, and won't buy them. I figure they'll have to make a better 12" adult young Anakin with robe someday, the current one I saw at TRU with the robotic arm was hideous! And so was Padme! But I figure if I get the 2 KB 12" Clone Troopers exclusives, and add all these to my 12" Count Dooku and 12" ultimate Jango Fett figures, I'll be happy. And I might as well get the two 12" fan club exclusives Jedi members (God help me again!). But no way am I getting that 12" Mace Windu at TRU, I'm hoping they'll release him again with robe and purple sable, at least with the Episode 3 toys.

But I still plan to eliminate/sell off older 12" figures, like that ridiculous third wave Episode 1 Qui-Gon with open mouth, and the electronic Episode 1 figures, except for the cool Ep.1 C-3PO. I think I will buy the new 12" Han Solo coming out from ANH, but get rid of the first Collector Series one and the European Exclusive Han, and the horrible first 12" Darth Vader since I'd be breaking up my complete Collector Series collection. I want to get rid of some ANH Luke Skywalkers too. My favorite one to date is the European exclusive Luke with slashing saber action (love his head sculpt!).

And I appreciate those of you who open your 12" figures, but I can't bring myself to do it. Except for the extra set of bounty hunters I plan to open and display, I'd probably start hating these figures even more outside of their cool boxes. I'm into preserving the whole packaged figure, just like vintage collectors are with their unopened carded figures.

Well, enough of my 12" likes/dislikes. I just wish WE the collectors could design Star Wars 12" figures. Oh well, guess that's what picking and choosing is all about. I wish I could remain a completionist, but Hasbro has let me down for too long...

Clint Torres
03-25-2003, 01:44 AM
STAR WARS 12'' CASSAROLE

ingredients
1 part SPEEDER BIKE /w TROOPER
1 part PADME AOTC style
6 (?) parts AMIDALA Episode ONE flavor
5 parts available STAR WARS movies

DIRECTIONS
1st take your movie collection and play it while you open up the above mentioned figures. Next, with opened AMIDALA figures, create homage/shrine to Hollywood's finest actress. (ADD ROSES TO TASTE). After that, make sure your speeder bike is up and running in time for the ENDOR CHASE sequence in JEDI. Separate PADME figure and have her stolen from the SHRINE by your coolest of cool 12'' figures, the SCOUT TROOPER, to have EXPANDED UNIVERSE adventures at the brothel (painted shoebox) of your choice. Add salt to taste.