PDA

View Full Version : How I long for the old days...

evenflow
02-20-2003, 06:31 AM
I really do wish it was still liek the old days. All the figures coming out now (almost all of them) are so disappointing. I barely even want to buy any. Now they are comign out with all these terrible somwhat EU. (If it was a real EU, that would rock) It was so much simpler int he old days, i long for their return.

Rogue II
02-20-2003, 07:57 AM
I feel your pain. I stopped trying to collect Vintage figures even before Episode 1. I have no interest in the EU or even the Prequel Trilogy toys. So now, down to 10-15 new classic trilogy figures per year. To pass the time, I've started a small amount of army building and some customizing.

icatch9
02-20-2003, 08:16 AM
You guys sound like grumpy old men. I don't know what's to complain about. If you don't like the PT then thats fine. Still the figures comeing out now are still pretty gooe. The detail is a mazing. One of the most detailed figures on the market in it's size.

I too am a child of the vintage age, but at the same time I recognize change and progression. No way would this line have survived for as long as it has without the natural progression it has showed.

Rogue II
02-20-2003, 08:51 AM
I can't complain about the new classic trilogy figures. The detail is amazing. They are the main reason I gave up collecting Vintage figures. I'm not slamming Vintage figures, they will always be special to me.

What I'm depressed about is that there aren't as many Classic Trilogy figures being released. I knew the day would come where all Star Wars figures lines would come to an end, and I'd have to quit collecting.

evenflow
02-22-2003, 09:43 AM
See, I have nothing really left to get int he vintage line. I have all the figures. I have all of thevariantions I want (or at least can afford - no luck on telescoping Ben, Vader and a vinyl Jawa). I have the complete Droids and Ewoks line carded (except Vlix) and I have a complete POTF coin collection (except the 63rd coin). I have everything i want except for those that i mentioned. The new stuff that is comign out just seems to be lacking. I do not like the Clone Wars line coming out, and the prequel stuff with all the action gimmicks just doesn't work. I basically just buy what i like now. It just depresses me.

Kidhuman
02-22-2003, 04:52 PM
They should just make them in a nuetral pose instead of all these action poses and gimmicks. They should also make them fully poseable, possibly with swivel arm battle action like the old G.I. Joes.

JangoFart
02-23-2003, 12:06 AM
I like the action poses. I like the neutral poses. I WOULD like to see one of each. Why not do this when Hasbro is going to take the time and resources to slap old figures on new cards? Of course, the difference in amounts of resources to accomplish this are there, but "if you build it they will come."

If not two different versions of the same character (action and neutral), how about some kind of Star Wars-G.I. Joe type of figure? You can slap a Joe into just about any pose you want. Of course, the joints look horrible; that's why they need to find some kind of happy meeting point between the two lines to make the ultimate figure.

J

evenflow
02-24-2003, 07:27 AM
I say neutral poses would be better.

Banthaholic
02-25-2003, 10:14 PM
I like the neutral poses for figures that are ordinary. (ie Bespin guard, stormtooper, rebel pilot) Although I kinda like the action poses for items meant to be scene specific, they kinda add a bit of value to the scene, although I can see where they might take away from overall playability and imagination as well.
As big of a fan as I am of vintage (I have mostly everything looseand a growing carded collection) I equally like the new lines as well as items from the prequal trilogy. They have there own sense of aura to them.

Darkross
03-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Personally...I'd like to see Hasbro re-release the vintage figures in their vintage packaging or the saga packaging. I know that they'd never do that...but for those of us who don't have a complete vintage collection or a completed carded collection (which is almost next to impossible)...wouldn't it be cool to finally have a carded vintage collection that most of us want? I know that it would be worthless $$ wise compared the real vintage line...but it would be nice to have them carded for display purposes and novelty. I dunno...I know that I would buy em!

Rogue II
03-11-2003, 10:52 AM
It seems like a lot of people want a re-release of vintage figures. The topic has come up several times in here.

I'm not against it, but I don't know if I would buy them or not....well, maybe a few.

stillakid
03-11-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm with Darkross. Screw "market value." I'd just like a complete collection. Who are we trying to impress anyway? What I mean by that is if you displayed the original 96 (or whatever), how many people, collectors included, are going to pick them all up to check the copyright date on the legs? Right, nobody. It's all about having those lumps of plastic formed into the proper shapes and colors.

Plus, I think it's a crime anyway that "old" stuff costs so much to obtain. Personally, I'd like to see the bottom drop out of the vintage market and maybe bring the real purpose of toys back to reality.

mark2d2
03-19-2003, 07:11 PM
I'd buy vintage rereleases. Seeing all of the photos over at Cloud City Collectibles has really gotten my nostolgic for the good old days . . .

Even if they just re-did the first 18 and the Classic mail-away stand --- I'd be totally stoked and would buy each and every one of these without question . . .:D

DarthChuckMc
03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Oh yeah, the old days were so great.:rolleyes:

We got 21 figures in a 3 year period. Another 27 for the next 3 years, not including repackaged 1st movie figs. Then 50 for the next 3 years including POTF, and once again, repackaged oldies.

98 figures from 1978-1985
We've gotten close to that since April of last year.
I think we are fairing much better with the present days offering.
We are getting figures we could only dream of back then. The likeness is 100s of time better.

I know, I know. The scale is off sometimes. Face sculpts aren't always right on. Action features and preposed figures tick us off, but is still think we are lucky to have what we have.

Vintage was great to have when we had it, but times have changed. Consumers expect a lot more for their buck.

Old Fossil
03-21-2003, 07:41 PM
I love the Vintage line, but I also loved the POTF2 and POTJ lines. Most of what I buy is classic-themed, though some of the Prequel stuff has been too sweet to pass up.

My main complaint is that we're continuously getting figures that won't stand on their own, and I simply cannot find the figures I want, in the quantities I want, at retail! Heck, even Sears carried the Kenner line back in the late 70's, early 80's.

mark2d2
03-22-2003, 03:59 AM
It is IMPOSSIBLE to find the new stuff lately. I have been looking for a figging Tusken Raider for weeks now.

PS --- regarding the vintage line. Yeah, the figs were few and far between at times, but it must have been so much cheaper back then to have everything. Plus there were SO MANY ships and playsets it must have been insane!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2003, 10:57 AM
I can only recall not finding the POTF figures easily. I got Anakin by mail, but only bought Lando General. I saw Barada, Imp Dig, and maybe an Ewok, but that's it. The SW, ESB, and ROJ series figures were quite easy to find, so if (when) I lost one, it was just a "c'mon, can't we go to Toys R Us/Target/Sears/Montgomery Ward/Gemco/Zody's" request away. I seldom got a "yes" answer, but the possibility was there.
The ships and playsets rocked!

Amy
03-22-2003, 10:15 PM
I like what I have seen as of late, as long as they stick to neutral poses(or somewhat close) and get rid of those stupid action features, I'm a happy girl.

stillakid
03-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
PS --- regarding the vintage line. Yeah, the figs were few and far between at times, but it must have been so much cheaper back then to have everything. Plus there were SO MANY ships and playsets it must have been insane!!!

I vaguely remember figures costing around $4 a piece or so. I do have some carded still with .97 cent Kmart price tags. I distinctly recall paying $19.99 for my Slave I at the mall toy store, which just so happens to be the same price I paid for the same ship 20 years later.