PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding AFA's practices

JangoFart
02-20-2003, 01:24 PM
I know some of you don't collect carded/boxed things. Odds are, this thread won't pertain to you. Please feel free to add your observations, though.

Here's one thing I've noticed lately (within the past 3 months) regarding AFA: their grading scale seems to be skewed towards giving the large sellers (Cloud City, for example) MUCH better grades than the smaller sellers. For example, I have a friend who got his unpunched 21 Back Fett back from AFA with a grade of 70. We were SHOCKED at this grading, as this item is truly as nice a 21 back as you'll find. It has one 2-inch spider-type veining on the back which is from where the bubble was attached. (A VERY common occurance even on today's figures)

Then, about a week later, I see a punched 21-back Fett from Cloud City with a noticable warp to the card and the same type of spider-crease (except on the front) with a grade of 95! Quite odd; but that's only one of many examples I've noticed.

I just got a Tig Fromm which is graded from AFA and they have an arguably fair grade on it (in seeing others, I would have guessed it to fair better), but there are two PIECES OF GRASS sealed in the case with the figure!! What!!?!?!? Grass?!?!! That is OUTRAGEOUS!

Also, I've seen figures on eBay lately where the grading sticker was not flush on the bottom of the case, but rather half-way stuck up the side of the case and half-way stuck on the bottom. I've seen others where the sticker was even stuck to the card of the figure!!

One would figure that paying someone to grade the items from their collection would garner them a better cost-to-benefit outcome. I like AFA and love the way the graded figures present and display. However, if I keep seeing things like I've been seeing, I'll swear 'em off like they were a bad habit.

Anyone else notice things along these lines? Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill? Or, it this just the tip of the iceberg?

J

Kidhuman
02-20-2003, 01:38 PM
I have never had anything graded myself. I refuse to spend money on it. My opinion is that a company that spends there money repeatedly will get a better grade rather than someone who is just a collector. A collector will only have certain pieces graded to where a store or company will have alot to get graded and they want return business. I just tend to stay away from grading. If you want my opinion your friend has a real nice figure. I am trying to save up enough money to get one as well. I don't intend to resell any of my items is why I don't get them graded. Why does one persons opinion matter more than mine. If I think it is in mint condition I don't need anyone to tell me that it is. People can basically grade for themselves.

Oh and BTW I am a carded collector.

JangoFart
02-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Very well put, kidhuman. Thanks for your thoughts.

J

blueswiz
02-20-2003, 02:19 PM
i like the idea that they come in a sealed case, but other than that, i don't care what they say, i know my figure is mint too. i have 4 jorg saculs from when i went to celebration II and i was thinkin of getting those graded. then i thought about it, why should i pay someone $120 bucks for a case and sticker? i'd just be better off with a star case and my good word as a collector. sorry, i know this didn't even come close to an answer to your questions. it's just been in the back of my mind for a bit now.