PDA

View Full Version : I am one with the Trackball!!!

scruffziller
02-20-2003, 12:53 PM
I have a new Trackball mouse it is awesome. It is so much better than a conventional mouse. I don't have to pick my mouse up to reset it down to finish my scroll across the screen!!!! I have web back and forth buttons and a scroll button. Anyone here LOVE their trackball mice!!!!!!

Rogue II
02-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Everyone I've talked to that uses those things seem to love them. I hear it takes some time getting used to.

I can't look at a trackball and not think of CENTIPEDE.

2-1B
02-20-2003, 01:28 PM
I can't abide those trackballs. Disgusting creatures.

James Boba Fettfield
02-20-2003, 02:04 PM
I hear you scruff. Mice are stupid. It's so much easier to roll a ball with your thumb than using a mouse and having to actually move your hand. Too much work.

Exhaust Port
02-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Man, trackball? I just got a mouse with the little wheel on it and I thought I was cutting edge. The trackball sounds pretty interesting.

Dr Zoltar
02-20-2003, 03:29 PM
I've had a track ball for over a year now and I'll never go back to a mouse. I love it! I feel I have much more control for things such as photo editing and first person shooters.

Emperor Howdy
02-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
first person shooters.

BINGO! I've had one for about 2 years now....starting back in the days of my constant online Quake III insanity. Yet......I have found a NEW love....someone who pays attention to MY needs...someone who completes me. I call her:

BATTLEFIELD 1942........Hell yeah, baby!!! :D

Lord Malakite
02-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Since I have a trackball at home and a mouse at college, I have become a natural with both. Personally, I prefer the trackball since you don't have to keep picking it up. However, I like this mouse in my dorm too since its one of the newer models that uses a laser to move instead of a ball.

Beast
02-20-2003, 06:58 PM
I can't stand trackballs, they scroll far to fast and are to hard to control. I'll go with the best of both worlds, a mouse with a scroll wheel between the buttons. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
02-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Can't you control the rate at which a trackball scrolls? I'd assume it would be just like a mouse.

Dar' Argol
02-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Can't you control the rate at which a trackball scrolls? I'd assume it would be just like a mouse.

Yes you can. Just like setting up a regular mouse, you can set the speed of the scroll wheel and the sensitivity of the trackball all in the Control Panel in Windows, or in the software that comes with your trackball.

I got a Microsoft Trackball about 8 months ago and I'm never going back. its a much more natural design then a normal mouse. My hand now does not get tired as quickly and it is a definite improvement for many games. Its great for Unreal tournament and a must have for Hitman 2. Basically anything that has you using the keyboard and mouse for movement. Plus having the extra "back" and "forward" buttons for browsing is great too. no more moving up to the navagation bar to go back a page. Now its as simple as "click" :D.

Lord Malakite
02-20-2003, 11:06 PM
What kind of trackball were you using JJB? :confused: My trackball has a scroll wheel between the buttons like a mouse and it works exactly the same way as the mouse.

scruffziller
02-20-2003, 11:18 PM
At first it seemed a little awkward but now that I have mastered it, there is no question. I have my thumb right next to the number pad ENTER button so I can do things with out taking my hand off of the mouse and do it quicker!!!

I remeber back in the old days when people used their mouse for the DOOM games, they would have to keep reving up the ball underneath and lifting it up to get their charachter going where they wanted to.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm with Caesar on this, I feel no love for trackballs, they're only 1 step up from those horrible trackpoint sticks on the IBM thinkpads. I'm a total convert to the MS Intellieye mouse, super-precise, works on nearly any surface, and you never have to clean out the ball socket. Plus, since I switched to my ultra-resilient Intellieye mouse a few years ago, I have had muuuuuch less pick-up & move maneuvers than with my standard mouse. In fact, my mouse is the only MS product I have that I really like and feel confident in.

Zoltar, I have the WORST time trying to edit photos with a trackball, I can't get precision cursor control out of these things. They just spin past wherever I need them, and I can't get a straight line out of 'em.

QLD
02-21-2003, 01:06 AM
I actually like the trackpoint stick on IBM laptops. At first it seemed weird, but they are much better than the touchpads. At least IMO.

I have never used a trackball mouse, but I have thought about it.

JediTricks
02-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I actually like the trackpoint stick on IBM laptops. At first it seemed weird, but they are much better than the touchpads. At least IMO. See, this is why focus groups just don't work. :D J/k QLD, though you're totally wrong. :evil: ;)

QLD
02-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Trackpoints are like widescreen, and touch pads are like pan and scan. ;)

I work with laptops for customer support at work, and we have two different laptops now, Dells with touchpads, and IBM's with trackpoints. I just find it faster and easier for me to get where I need to go with the trackpoint, as well as it being more precise.

But you're entitled to your own opinion JT, even though it is totally wrong. :evil:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
02-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Trackball mouses are fun! :cool:

Kidhuman
02-21-2003, 10:22 AM
I am not a trackball fan. I like the newer mouses w/lasers on them. But to each his/her own.

Jargo
02-21-2003, 03:59 PM
I prefer the old mice. with scroll wheel no picking the darn thing up for me, clean the ball regularly and use a scrap sheet of paper wrapped around the mouse mat. Works perfectly. precision pointing every time. Tried the trackball stuff in a mouse and in a hand held remote version that was designed for gamers. Just totally innaccurate and all over the place. took twice as long to get anything done. And if I want absolute pixel precise on images i use my tablet and pen. Trackballs are just a big gimmick to me. Same as the touch pads. I'll only change from my mouse when they become absolutely obsolete.

Kidhuman
02-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Jargo,

The ones with the laser on them are exactly the same but with no ball on them. It just makes it smoother and no cleaning to do. I am gonna get one soon.

Jargo
02-22-2003, 10:22 PM
We got this thing a while back but I can't stand it.
http://www.trust.com/products/product.htm?artnr=12193
It's damn near impossible to use because your fingers leave grease all over the ball and then it doesn't respond and you need to clean the damn thing every few hours. Comfy in the hand but not for me.

Beast
02-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Wow, I wouldn't be able to stand that sort of thing either. I'll stick to my good old regular mouse with the scroll wheel between the buttons. It's just more comfortable and easier to use then all these new gimmicky things. Guess I'm old fashioned. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
02-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Here is a picture of the trackball I use.

P.S. James Boba Fettfield likes to use it to. :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-22-2003, 11:31 PM
It fits my large hand quite well. It allows for me to be able to have my hand on it, instead of this mouse I have on my Dell which has just enough room for my fingers and not much else.

Dar' Argol
02-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Now see, this is the Mouse that I have. It has the Laser Eye but the convieniance of the trackball. And the small buttons on the far left and right serve as a "back" and "forward" button for browsing. Very comfortable and easy to use and no problems with editing pics either.

Kidhuman
02-23-2003, 06:51 PM
SO that mosue D'ar goes both ways?(no puns intended) It is a regular mouse and a trackball? Kinda like an analog controller for the PS2.....Analog or D-pad.

Dar' Argol
02-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
SO that mosue D'ar goes both ways?(no puns intended) It is a regular mouse and a trackball? Kinda like an analog controller for the PS2.....Analog or D-pad.

No its not like a regular mouse. Its a stationary mouse, its more like a track ball, but with the precision of an optical mouse. And its really comfortable.

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Now see, this is the Mouse that I have. It has the Laser Eye but the convieniance of the trackball. And the small buttons on the far left and right serve as a "back" and "forward" button for browsing. Very comfortable and easy to use and no problems with editing pics either.

Yea that is the exact same one I have Dar!!! From WM no doubt!!!!!!!:D

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
We got this thing a while back but I can't stand it.
http://www.trust.com/products/product.htm?artnr=12193
It's damn near impossible to use because your fingers leave grease all over the ball and then it doesn't respond and you need to clean the damn thing every few hours. Comfy in the hand but not for me.

UGH!!!!!!!!:dead:

Now that thing looks horrible!!!! Looks extremely uncomfortable!! I get hand cramps just by looking at it.

Kidhuman
02-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Jargo,

The ones with the laser on them are exactly the same but with no ball on them. It just makes it smoother and no cleaning to do. I am gonna get one soon.

I finally got one about 6 months ago. I like them the best so far

Slicker
02-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I've actually been using a trackball for about 4 years now. The computer I work with has one. It's far different from yours in that it's a block about 4x6 and has a "ball" the size of a cue ball in it. Nonetheless, it's a trackball and I do like using it.

DarthQuack
02-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Never caught on with me.....track ball....sounds like something you get if you mess up the hurdles.

TeeEye7
02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Never caught on with me.....track ball....sounds like something you get if you mess up the hurdles.

lollollollollol

I used to run hurdles in school. This certainly "struck" a chord (or something else) with me.

Excellent, DQ! :thumbsup: