PDA

View Full Version : What exactly are THEE "CLONE WARS" ?

scruffziller
02-21-2003, 12:45 AM
Why isn't it just THE CLONE WAR??? Non plural.
What was plural about it. A war has battles. They couldn't be calling the individual battles wars? So what was it all about to make it plural.

Beast
02-21-2003, 12:57 AM
From what I understand, they are calling it the Clone Wars due to the huge scope of the fights occuring all over the galaxy. So at each planet, it's a full out war against that planet's troops and defenses. So it's just due to how massive these battles are.

For example, we saw the Republic Army fight and win a fullblown war against the Sepratist Army of the planet Geonosis in AOTC. The next battle being on a different planet, would be a whole new ballgame, and would be classed as a war. Even though it's against the same basic enemies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Anakin2121
02-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Not trying to sound like a jerk or a smart alec or anything, but it wasn't a war in AOTC, it was just a single battle, albeit a large one. :)

mini-rock
02-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Anakin2121
Not trying to sound like a jerk or a smart alec or anything, but it wasn't a war in AOTC, it was just a single battle, albeit a large one. :)

Your right. It was a battle (Battle of Geonosis).

I agree with JJB though, that it's the scale of these wars. Also The Clone Battles wouldn't sound as good IMO.:)

scruffziller
02-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Anakin2121

Well actually I was referring to the entire period that is known as the "CLONE WARS" not just what happened in AOTC and JJB answered my question. I figured this thread would have been the best place to put it since there is no specific forum for what is going on between eps 2 and 3 other than the books, video games, TV etc. and maybe Classic trilogy.

stillakid
02-22-2003, 11:13 AM
I'll toss in my .02 cents conjecture and say that there are only two wars. The first is the Clone Army vs the Separatists. We saw the beginning of that one in AOTC. The second is the Clone Army vs the Jedi, which I hope we'll see begin in the second act of Episode III.

Individual battles do not define a war. A war is made up of many battles. It might be safe to define distinct wars as being when major alliances and enemies change. So with the first having the Jedi and Clone's fight alongside one another, the next distince war begins when that partnership changes.

scruffziller
02-22-2003, 02:49 PM
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!:D :crazed:

Thanx Stilla!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedi Clint
02-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Republic vs. Separatists (War 1) - Truce - Peace - Broken Truce - New War - Truce - Peace - Broken Truce - New War (give or take a cycle) -final unification into Palpatine's Empire.

stillakid
02-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!:D :crazed:

Thanx Stilla!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it. You either starting sneezing, then broke out into laughter...or you enjoyed what I wrote so much that you broke out into spontaneous uncontrollable fits of joy...or you found my measured and semi-reasonable response amusing for some reason.

Could I get a judge's ruling on this please? Thanks!

jjreason
02-22-2003, 09:58 PM
I think it was "Ah Ha!" as in "I have seen the light!".

Wars would indicate to me that the war will end, and begin again (maybe more than once). Let's hope the cartoons will fill us in. The Clones will have to fight the separatists, the the Jedi, so that sounds like a good theory to me as well.

mini-rock
02-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Why isn't it just THE CLONE WAR??? Non plural.
What was plural about it. A war has battles. They couldn't be calling the individual battles wars? So what was it all about to make it plural.

Couldn't the same question (and answers) be applied to "STAR WARS?"

scruffziller
02-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
I think it was "Ah Ha!" as in "I have seen the light!".

Yes.

Grif
05-03-2003, 10:09 AM
I just noticed that on the back of the Episode II VHS it says, "Experience the start of the climactic CLONE WAR." Notice how it says Clone War instead of Clone Wars.

KingOfSting
05-05-2003, 09:07 PM
I don't know how true this is, but a while ago (it might have been on these very forums!) I had heard that the original concept of the Clone Wars waaaaayyyyyyy back when (I.E. ANH Era), was that they were dual wars (E.G. WWI and WWII), however people took the term too literaly, and speculation that the war(s) involved clones began. The rest, as they say is history.